Mafia Cave - Cave is destroyed (mafia win)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Carlington

Re: Mafia Cave - Cave is destroyed (mafia win)

Postby Carlington » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:30 am UTC

At the end of the day, there's only so much that can be done in cases like these. If nobody wants to replace in you kind of have to modkill, and sometimes the games that have the best balance also have the most delicate balance, and modkilling throws that out.
I agree with one of Amy's spoilers in Gojoe that said that a large bit of the reason we won was luck. Realistically, I definitely shouldn't have gotten away with lurking as much as I did, even if it wasn't entirely intentional. It really played out quite well for us that scum weren't even suspected until the only town players left were basically the masons.
This was a really cool setup, and confirmed everything I thought about Amy's games based on what I've heard about them (namely, that they're really great). It's a shame that it had to end up this way, I think the Mafia subforum in general is a lot less active than it used to be, but this game certainly had all the right ingredients to get very crazy, and still ended up being a lot of fun despite everything that conspired to bring it down.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:51 am UTC

Carlington wrote:At the end of the day, there's only so much that can be done in cases like these. If nobody wants to replace in you kind of have to modkill, and sometimes the games that have the best balance also have the most delicate balance, and modkilling throws that out.
I agree with one of Amy's spoilers in Gojoe that said that a large bit of the reason we won was luck. Realistically, I definitely shouldn't have gotten away with lurking as much as I did, even if it wasn't entirely intentional. It really played out quite well for us that scum weren't even suspected until the only town players left were basically the masons.
This was a really cool setup, and confirmed everything I thought about Amy's games based on what I've heard about them (namely, that they're really great). It's a shame that it had to end up this way, I think the Mafia subforum in general is a lot less active than it used to be, but this game certainly had all the right ingredients to get very crazy, and still ended up being a lot of fun despite everything that conspired to bring it down.
This.

Also what madge said. Modkill is definitely better than games that drag on, or games where lynches are all lynch the actual lurkers.
Where did my old signature go? :(

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:15 pm UTC

Thanks for the game Amy; I really enjoyed it (even if the Easter egg hunt was doing my head in at times).

It's a shame there was so much modkilling, but I agree that it was unavoidable. And I agree with Carlington and Dr Ug that a modkill on username was better than letting the game drag on until a replacement could maybe be found.
Some times, as a mod, you're going to have to do something that is going to leave a bad taste in the mouth, and maybe even end the game as a result (see the end of my "Shogun's Folly" resistance game for a perfect example). Unfortunately, the only real recourse in that kind of situation is to grit one's teeth and get on with it.

Other comments:
In the Gojoe thread, Carlington wrote:So I'm pretty sure Suzaku is a power role, and I'm pretty sure that role is Salamander. I don't really know what that is or does or means, or whether that's town-aligned or what, though. Definitely carries a day power, though, if I'm right about this. Evidence: "any clues that are there must be well scrambled" - a phrase like that, "well scrambled", screams breadcrumb, and followed by the reference to a Salamander laying an egg in the next modpost, it seems like a cut-and-dried thing to me. I don't want to shout about it yet, though, because that might help town, which I don't want.

Glad to see that someone noticed my breadcrumb, even if they were only half right :P

I wrote:Any clues that are there must be well scrambled, and I think I'd have to have a Good day to find them.

Scrambled was indeed eggs, but note the capitalisation of 'Good'. I was hoping that other Cavers would notice and draw the inference from Good → Good Friday → Easter, and make the Easter egg connection. Maybe was trying to a bit too subtle there.

I really liked the idea of Easter eggs for VT to find and gain special abilities, although I was a bit clueless as to what constituted an egg. I only spotted the stabbed with a stalactite one because Vytron 'fell onto' one, which is hard as stalactites grow down from the roof of caves (stalagmites grow up from the floor). After that I was looking for other deliberate errors, which led me well up the proverbial garden path.

I should probably apologise to Madge for braining her with the broken stal, but that post was pretty scummy. And I figured that even if I was wrong it was probably better to kill you on my (town's) terms and have the info of your flip and voters without going into night and bringing scum power into play.

At any rate, 'twas a great first game back. Now I need another :)
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:25 pm UTC

Was a call for replacements ever made? If it was, I didn't see it. I could have replaced in.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:26 pm UTC

Only about 5 times. If you pay that much attention, probably no great loss.Actually only once.
Sungura wrote:I'm going to need replacements for Mafia Cave. It is only in Day1 so you won't have much to catch up on. Please PM me.
That's probably an error, although in my experience the yield from later pleas is low.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:48 pm UTC

I think the announcement was made twice in the gojoe thread, less directly in my ranting about having to do more modkills due to lurking in the gojoe thread, and there are unread PMs requesting replacements from the folks who signed up as such. I also gave every shred of leniency to the lurkers.

Vytron if you knew people I warned about modkills in the thread you should've sent them on. Wish you had. :/

Username bothers me a lot because of activity in other game threads. Dj does too since they started modding a friggin game while being inactive here. RR was active as well in other parts but at least he messaged me saying he couldn't play anymore I asked to reconsider as I had no replacements but they left anyway. Fair enough but also disappointing as I think they were active modding the vanilla not vanilla game when they sent that.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:52 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Username bothers me a lot because of activity in other game threads. Dj does too since they started modding a friggin game while being inactive here. RR was active as well in other parts but at least he messaged me saying he couldn't play anymore I asked to reconsider as I had no replacements but they left anyway. Fair enough but also disappointing as I think they were active modding the vanilla not vanilla game when they sent that.
Yep. That's pretty poor form.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:43 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:I think the announcement was made twice in the gojoe thread, less directly in my ranting about having to do more modkills due to lurking in the gojoe thread, and there are unread PMs requesting replacements from the folks who signed up as such.

Hmm, yeah, that'd be it then. I don't usually read GoJoe unless I was involved in a game, hence why I was able to replace at all. I was used to seeing replacement requests in the Meta Discussion thread, but maybe we should just have a thread dedicated to replacement requests. I can't be the only one who doesn't read GoJoe.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:35 pm UTC

SDK wrote:
Sungura wrote:I think the announcement was made twice in the gojoe thread, less directly in my ranting about having to do more modkills due to lurking in the gojoe thread, and there are unread PMs requesting replacements from the folks who signed up as such.

Hmm, yeah, that'd be it then. I don't usually read GoJoe unless I was involved in a game, hence why I was able to replace at all. I was used to seeing replacement requests in the Meta Discussion thread, but maybe we should just have a thread dedicated to replacement requests. I can't be the only one who doesn't read GoJoe.

That is a good idea. Done.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:26 pm UTC

I think this was a great game setup! modkills required form lurking won the day, however.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:39 pm UTC

Yeah it was a pity there were so many modkills. Pretty much all of them against town as well. But such is life.

I really liked the mechanic where vanilla town could get power-ups through problem solving. I might steal that for any future game I run.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:42 pm UTC

Ah, so I had to choose me to keep the game going. I nearly did, oh well.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:51 am UTC

I guess I was pretty glad to have been recruited there… I never seem to do terribly well as a serial killer, though I guess I looked townie enough to be recruited this time, so there's that.

If I had killed someone else the night I was recruited, the results for town would have been much worse…
Image <-- Evil experiment

Return to “Mafia”