Once Upon a Mafia - Game Over

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

SirGabriel

Once Upon a Mafia - Game Over

Postby SirGabriel » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:17 pm UTC

Once Upon a Mafia

The curse which brought the town of Storybrooke into being has finally been broken, but now magic has been brought to this land. It is unclear why the villains have brought magic, but one thing is clear: the town of Storybrooke must do whatever it takes to protect their town from being completely destroyed by the villains.

Adam’s Standard Rules
Spoiler:
1. You cannot post in this thread unless you are alive and included in the player list.
2. You cannot talk about this game outside of this thread, unless in an appropriately titled spoiler in the discussion thread.
3. You cannot edit your posts.
4. You cannot quote private messages from the mod.
5. You cannot lurk.
6. You cannot ruin the game for other players.
7. You cannot say, imply, or pretend that a hammer vote has been cast unless it is obvious from counting the public votes in the thread.
8. If you break any of these rules, you will lose, be removed from the game, and shame will be heaped on you.

Game-Specific Rules
1. Do not post after the end-of-day deadline has passed, even if I have not yet announced end of day.
2. Just because something appears to be hammer doesn’t necessarily mean it is. Therefore, discussion and voting may continue after hammer appears to have been reached, until I announce the day has ended. If it was actually hammer, any votes placed after the hammer will not count.
3. All PMs must be copied to the Mod (SirGabriel).
4. ALL DEAD ARE FORBIDDEN TO READ SPOILERS AFTER DEATH. It is possible the dead may be utilized in some way. Please be prepared to serve if needed until game's end.
The Mod will privately inform the dead when they are no longer needed and are free to read spoilers.

5. Role-name-claiming is permitted (but is often a bad idea).

Players
1. dimochka (Regina, Mafia)
2. SDK (Granny, Town Tracker)
3. Lawrencelot (Prince Charming, Town Mason)
4. bessie (Red, Town Vigilante)
5. Ben M16 (Henry, Town Universal Backup)
6. SPACKlick/Djehutynakht (Dr. Frankenstein, Town Doctor)
7. mpolo (Emma, Town Cop/Lie Detector)
8. Madge (Magic Mirror, Independent Name Cop)
9. JudeMorrigan/Dr Ug (Snow White, Town Mason)
10. Vytron (Rumplestiltskin, Mafia)

All role PMs have now been sent.

Please post here confirming that:
a) You are present
b) You have received a role PM
c) You have read and comprehend game-specific rule #4.

The game will begin after all players have confirmed.
Last edited by SirGabriel on Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:20 pm UTC, edited 12 times in total.

dimochka

Re: Once Upon a Mafia - confirmation phase

Postby dimochka » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:59 pm UTC

Yes, yes, and yes.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:49 pm UTC

Confirm

BenM16

Postby BenM16 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:08 pm UTC

Yes to all.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:38 pm UTC

Confirm and yes to all.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:03 am UTC

Confirm, yes to all.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:19 am UTC

1.Maybe. I'm really not sure Descartes proves existence, if I'm a hallucinating brain in a bat, or solipsism is real and I'm the only person existing (among other things), it's possible I'm not present or there's no actual existing world for me to be present in. Otherwise, I can pretend to be present and you won't notice the difference (or, you don't notice anything but I believe you won't notice the difference.)

2.Yes.

3.That's what I do in all my games anyway. ~Zombie (replacement) Vytron

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:23 am UTC

Confirm, yes to all. Let's do this!
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:24 am UTC

Confirm x3.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:22 am UTC

a) Adsum
b) Nuntium accepi
c) Quartam regulam intellego (et lexi)

And no, there's no particular reason that was in Latin.
Image <-- Evil experiment

SirGabriel

Re: Once Upon a Mafia - Day 1

Postby SirGabriel » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:39 am UTC

Everyone has confirmed, so Day 1 begins now. Deadline will be at least a week from now, I will set an exact deadline later.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:30 pm UTC

Cool. I'm going to claim something in my first post: I'm not human, and I'm also town.

I should probably read some flavour so I know what to expect this game.

Aaaand... I guess I'll get ahead of the OMGUS and Vote Vytron.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:45 pm UTC

I will claim that I am flavorblind and town.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:57 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:I will claim that I am flavorblind and town.

Thanks for sharing. 8-)

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:01 pm UTC

It's just hard to come up with an early-game post without knowing the flavor. There seem to be multiple threats to the town, which with 10 of us probably means something like 6-7 town, 2 mafia, 1 serial killer (or other anti-town not aligned with mafia), possibly one independent. The possibility of the dead rising/having an effect may throw a wrench in those numbers, though.

Is a cult something to be worried about in this flavor?

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:48 pm UTC

I have some idea of the flavor - depending on how closely we stick to the script, I'd say cult is unlikely but possible. I just can't think of anyone who would be a cult leader (meaning someone who controls a non-town group of people). The only possibility that I can see is Dr. Frankenstein.

I was contemplating whether or not I should write out a list of possible roles and realized that anyone who cares enough can easily google this information, so it's not exactly a risk to anyone. I'd rather everyone has this information front and center than have scum go digging for it. Sorry in advance if this is a jumbled mess.

1. Emma Swan - main protagonist, originally bail bondsperson, now a sheriff and the savior. Has magic powers (I have no idea whether this is relevant)
2. Neal - early friend and love interest of Emma's. Former thief. Also known as Baelfire, son of The Dark One (but isn't evil himself). Died.
3. Henry - the other protagonist in the story. teenage (or younger?) boy that has a pure heart. Emma's and Neal's son. Very inquisitive. Raised by Regina and essentially loves both mothers equally.
4. Regina - mayor of the town, also the Evil Queen. Because of her love for Henry she turns good. Has magic powers.
5. Snow White - Emma's mother. She can (almost never) do anything evil, except she does put her child's safety above all else.
6. Prince Charming - Emma's father. Noble, strong, not necessarily the brightest.
7. Mr. Gold / The Dark One - One of the main antagonists. Also known as Rumplestiltskin. Powerful Mage and also Henry's grandfather (since his son is Neal). Puts his own interests (to be the most powerful mage) first but if i recall correctly puts family at a close second. Power comes from a special dagger. Has magic.
8. Belle - Love interest of Mr Gold's, especially when she doesn't know that he is still the dark one.
9. Hook / Killian - Pirate who used to be evil, became good because he fell in love with Emma
10. Red Riding Hood - One of the good guys in the story except that during a full moon she turns into a werewolf. The red cloak prevents her turning.
11. Granny - One of the good guys, runs a diner (where Red works). Nothing of particular note except she's usually up on the gossip as a result. Probably not very important.
12. Robin Hood - true love of Regina except already married to another woman whom Regina killed when she was evil; Emma accidentally brings the woman back to life, mess ensues.
13. Pinocchio - depending on time in series, either a real boy or a puppet. When the original curse cast by Regina happened, he and Emma were the two people transported to the real world to safety. Geppetto (Pinocchio's creator) is also in the story
14. Zelena - half-sister of Regina, evil to the core. Tries to kill Emma, Regina, and everyone else. Magic and shapeshifting ability

The series also has the seven dwarves (Dreamy is relatlvely major; the others are more minor), the blue fairy (the most powerful fairy who also trained tinker bell, but not as powerful as the dark one), Dr Frankenstein (a regular doctor in Storybrook but created his monster in the past), Elsa/Anna (from Frozen), The Snow Queen (evil), Maleficent / Cruella De Vil / Ursula (evil trio)

This may or may not give some suggestions as to who has what powers, and for that reason I'm not sure if it's a good idea to roleclaim (as rule #5 states). Also keep in mind that there there could be a lot of safeclaims around.

In a game of 10 I'd expect 6-7 town (and 3-4 non town), with those being made up of 2-3 mafia/sk/cult combo and 1 independent. But this is just my thought based on previous games I've played.

EBWOP: didn't realized this matches Mpolo's list completely, but good to know.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:51 pm UTC

I'll claim like mpolo, no indie shenanigans here.

IGMEOY SDK, because whenever he puts his votes on town is because he's scum himself and panics because he can't really bus his buddies. Of course you won't know this unless I flip, so as always I'm not opposed to getting mislynched to help town in the long run.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:26 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:I'm not opposed to getting mislynched to help town in the long run.

I have a letter for you here from the scum team. It says, "Thank you for your cooperation."

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:12 pm UTC

Vote: SDK

Speaking in the name of scum? I know it's sarcasm but it wouldn't make sense for SDK to say that line unless he knows I'm town, and how else would he?

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:19 pm UTC

Goddamn it vytron, why do you work so hard to look scummy D1?
Vote Vytron

I see no reason for Vytron to be so all over SDK, I see no logic in his reactions. What do people think the odds of Jester are?

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:28 pm UTC

Vytron's not a jester. I think the odds are slim that there would be a Jester in the game (or a Cult, to answer a previous question). Sir Gabriel advertised this as "neither vanilla nor bastard", which I take to mean a good old fashioned mafia game. That's the impression I got from the sign-ups anyway, what with this being Sir G's first time modding.

Vytron's voting me for fine reasons. Leave him alone.

Unvote, Vote SPACKlick

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:20 pm UTC

SDK wrote:Cool. I'm going to claim something in my first post: I'm not human, and I'm also town.

I should probably read some flavour so I know what to expect this game.

Aaaand... I guess I'll get ahead of the OMGUS and Vote Vytron.

I can only think of one non-human from what I've watched of the series, but it's been a while so I might be forgetting something. Anyway, that person is good so no reason to share it. Oh and Red Riding Hood from dimochka's list.

Townie points for dimochka for his list, as in, I think it's more likely that he goes through this trouble as town. Would be different if he was fishing for roles in there.

Agreed we should not roleclaim.

Vote: SDK

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:00 am UTC

So, while I know my MO for mafia so far has been to make all the posts all the time, I wanted to give y'all a heads up that due to my work's cracking down on internet usage, my posting is going to be rather less voluminous in this game. I expect that'll put me more in line with everyone else, so hopefully you won't hold it against me. It is what it is though.

Beyond that - I'm flavor blind as well. I'm not willing to completely discount the possibility of a jester, but Vytron is Vytron. I don't think it's truly an XKCD mafia game until he votes for himself. As far as SDK's claim goes, I parsed it as a functional miller claim in case there's some sort of species cop. That may well simply be a byproduct of race cop having been my role in Dr Who. Possibly those who are familiar with the show can make something more of it, but it's sort of an "ok, duly noted" for me at this point. As far as the other claims go, if we want to do the whole lie detector thing, I'll participate (I am town), but I generally think it's kind of useless and am inclined to treat those sorts of claims as meaningless fluff.

BenM16

Postby BenM16 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:31 am UTC

Hm yeah. 10 people but im assuming theirs is about only 3 maf, maybe 1 3rd. SO i guess you guys like random voting eh?
I see nothing scummy with SDK's jk from maf but Vytron's quick attack seems from my point of view scummy. AND IM HUMAN!!
Vote:Vytron

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:06 am UTC

I'm even more convinced that SDK knows I'm town, what with the friending and now acting as a shield so people leave me alone?

This is why I'm voting him, not his jokes.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:14 am UTC

SDK always claims he knows someone is something, regardless of if it's true or not.

I'm sure before long I'll pick up the mythical ability by osmosis and come out with proclamations of peoples' towniness or scummitude right out the gate :roll:

That said, SDK is often right, and Vytron is impossible to read (though very fun to have around, if completely infuriating most of the time).

I'm also a non-human town person, since apparently it's cool to claim these things.

From the list it looks like Zelena is definitely a bad guy, and Mr Gold too, and Regina's description does not reflect well on her towniness. The bad disney characters are also a real possibility. Why does the series have Disney characters? Is it a Disney-sponsored thing? I'm confused by that.

(In case you can't tell I am totally flavourblind, though my fiance's girlfriend and her partner both watch it, so I can ask her for information if I feel like I need it).
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

SirGabriel

Re: Once Upon a Mafia - Day 1

Postby SirGabriel » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:45 am UTC

Day 1 deadline is a week from today at 10pm Eastern Time. Deadline clock

10 alive, 6 votes to hammer

Current votals:
Vytron (2) - SPACKlick, BenM16
SDK (2) - Vytron, Lawrencelot
SPACKlick (1) - SDK

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:46 am UTC

Are you sure they're Disney Characters? Most "Disney Characters" weren't actually theirs and had existed before then, and were basically stolen at a time at which copyright wasn't as rigid, which is ironic since now Disney doesn't want anyone doing to their characters what they did to characters of others to build the company.

Ninja by Sir
It would be fun if there was a militant atheist in the game and we could get Sir lynched.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:00 am UTC

Most of the disney characters are in the public domain as concepts but copyrighted as individuals (Snow White, The Beast, Ariel), but many of the characters that are specifically mentioned are Disney creations (Ursula for example - in The Little Mermaid there was a sea witch but she wasn't called Ursula; and the design of Ursula is based on a drag queen from the time the movie was made, and Anna/Elsa are very much Disney creations; even the concept of there being specifically 7 dwarves is Disney).

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:28 am UTC

Vytron wrote:... acting as a shield so people leave me alone?

I'm a bit confused by this. Can you explain why that makes me scum?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:32 am UTC

Madge wrote:even the concept of there being specifically 7 dwarves is Disney).

7 Dwarves is already in Grimm. That they have names and personalities is Disney. That one is named "Dreamy" is apparently from this show (or was supposed to be Dopey, I suppose). The Wikipedia article speaks of "ties to Disney", so the others really are Disney characters.

I have no idea what the dynamic between Vytron and SDK is at the moment. My tendency is to read Vytron more negatively than I should and SDK more positively than I should.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:18 am UTC

Hi everyone, work will be busy this week, and my husband has a gig tomorrow night, so don’t expect a long post from me until at least Thursday night. I’ll try to keep up by making some short posts and I’ll answer any questions.

I am completely flavor blind, so everything I know about the flavor is from dimochka’s post and the Wikipedia page. But just from those two sources I see several characters that might be considered not human: Jiminy Cricket, Rumpelstiltskin/Beast (is Beast just a name or does he turn in to a beast?), Pinocchio, Red Riding Hood/Wolf, Seven Dwarfs, Blue Fairy, Genie, Tinker Bell, Ursula (half octopus?), etc. And this list contains candidates for both pro and anti town characters, so I don’t think being non human gives any clues to alignment.

I’ve never been good at setup speculation, so… what mpolo and dimochka said. They’re both experienced mods so their guesses are probably more reliable than mine.

Is the militant atheist a real role? I always thought that was a joke because I never understood how you could actually have one in a game.

I don’t do random voting, and I have no reads on anyone yet.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:26 am UTC

mpolo wrote:I have no idea what the dynamic between Vytron and SDK is at the moment. My tendency is to read Vytron more negatively than I should and SDK more positively than I should.

Just breezing past this thread at the moment, don't know when i'll get a detailed post in but I read those two as scum pair at the moment. Weird bussing going on.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:54 am UTC

SDK wrote:Can you explain why that makes me scum?

It seems to get ready for when I die and flip town and you go "see? I told you to leave Vytron alone!" You're not looking town!SDK so far on this game to me.

bessie wrote:Is the militant atheist a real role? I always thought that was a joke because I never understood how you could actually have one in a game.

Oh, yes. Not only that. The other day I hosted a game with a jester, and that jester's strategy was to claim militant atheist, nobody believing him, and getting lynched. It failed miserably as everyone believed him and the game derailed into one where everyone was voting me (the mod) despite me telling them voting for the mod wasn't valid (they wouldn't believe me) and I eventually had to add to the rules that you could only vote for players of the game (which I wasn't) and do unplanned flavor about me getting lynched because otherwise the game wouldn't move on.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:58 am UTC

Vytron wrote:The other day I hosted a game with a jester, and that jester's strategy was to claim militant atheist, nobody believing him, and getting lynched. It failed miserably as everyone believed him and the game derailed into one where everyone was voting me (the mod) despite me telling them voting for the mod wasn't valid (they wouldn't believe me) and I eventually had to add to the rules that you could only vote for players of the game (which I wasn't) and do unplanned flavor about me getting lynched because otherwise the game wouldn't move on.

Entirely aside but I've played that exact same game. A jester claiming "Deicidal Maniac" which was our term for it in that flavour of game. Only convinced once the Mod lynched themselves, then turned back time to the point of the lynch making it day again. From a players POV, there was no way the mod could convince me not to vote for him, because that's what the mod would say to avoid being voted for.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:27 pm UTC

I did a further analysis of human/non-human on the roles bessie posted. I don't know if it adds to the discussion so I'm spoilering it.
Spoiler:
Jiminy Cricket - could definitely be non-human. Pro-town and psychiatrist, although weak-minded and prone to manipulation from what I recall.
Rumpelstiltskin - While his characters alludes to the Beast from Beauty and the Beast (and Belle is, well, Belle), I'm not sure that he is actually an animal. With that being said, he can shapeshift and the dagger could very well make him non-human. But I would say human is more likely.
Pinocchio - good candidate for non-human. Also could be a lie detector or something similar.
Red Riding Hood - Good in general, but could imagine her being an SK (maybe every other night). It's important to mention that in the series Hood does not have control over herself when she turns, which is why I think Vig is less likely. And yes, could definitely be non-human if she has a role capable of killing.
Seven Dwarfs - Unless the mod is taking human as a very literal terms, I would label them as human.
Genie - This would be my biggest bet for non-human independent. Good originally but trapped by Regina and forced to do her wishes. And definitely a schemer.
Tinker Bell - Could be non-human. Always tries to do good but follows her heart/feelings first and ends up messing a lot of things up. If there is a naive role, this would be it.
Ursula - Good candidate for non-human. And yes I would definitely put her as anti-town, though wanted to mention that in the end she gets reunited with her father and turns good, helping Emma & co.
Do we think there is a point in claiming humanity? I was trying to think of a way that would clearly distinguish a human from a non-human (other than townieness which we agree that is unlikely to matter), and I really cannot. So my thought is no, although I don't see any drawback in this.

Vote: Madge

Because she mentioned her fiance's girlfriend (which confused me to start) and in the series Neal's fiance is evil. Yeah, add one more to that list.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:58 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:It seems to get ready for when I die and flip town and you go "see? I told you to leave Vytron alone!" You're not looking town!SDK so far on this game to me.

1) That strategy doesn't work, especially here at xkcd. Have you ever noticed that people here don't take previous reads into account at all?
2) If I wanted to gain town cred after your death, there are better ways to go about it. For one thing, if I successfull stopped you from being lynched, that means you'd have to die to my own mafia nightkill, making that town cred 100% WIFOM.
3) Can you name a single game where I didn't call someone town in the first couple pages? I guess I also can't name a single game where you didn't call me scum in the first couple pages either, so...

In other news, I'd like to do a mass humanity claim. This is actually a good idea.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:02 pm UTC

I think a mass humanity claim helps scum more. Plus, scum might have safeclaims so it might not give any benefit at all.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:31 am UTC

The whole "leave [Vyton] alone thing" confuses me. Not that SDK would declare him to be town - SDK loves to make sweeping D1 proclamations. It's the explicit exhortations to not place early D1 votes on him that just feels weird to me. I'm not sure what to make of it.

As far as the whole humanity-claim thing goes, I'm not entirely sure I see a point to it one way or the other. I'll participate if we all decide it's something we want to do, but would like to have a better feel for what we hope to gain from it before chipping in.

Return to “Mafia”