Matrix6 Redux Take 2 - Game Over

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Suzaku

Matrix6 Redux Take 2 - Game Over

Postby Suzaku » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:05 pm UTC

Newbie Game - Matrix6 Redux Take 2

Since there have been a couple of very successful newbie games run by Vytron recently, and I enjoy running newbie games, I'm going to see if there's any interest in this one:

Mod: Suzaku
Size: 9
Complexity: Low
Setup: Open
Barstardry: None
Speed: 5-day days, 2.5-day nights. Weekends count as half time, accommodations made for holidays etc.
Flavour: Maybe :)

Standard Rules:
Spoiler:
Posting rules:
  1. No posting in this thread unless you are playing in it.
  2. No talking about this game except in this thread or in an appropriately titled spoiler in the discussion thread.
  3. No player may read discussion spoilers about this game unless they are dead. There are no spoiler reading roles.
  4. No editing your posts. For any reason. At any time.
  5. Do not lurk! One post per real-life day is the recommended minimum. (If you're going to be unable to post for any period of time, please let the mod(s) know ahead of time). Consideration will be given for weekends.
  6. Players lurking excessively will be replaced or, if replacement is not possible, modkilled.
  7. Any player who is modkilled for rule violations will have their role retconned to ‘Survivor’ meaning they will automatically lose.
  8. You may post in thread during the day phase but not the night phase. It is night when the mod posts a day-end post (this will not be before the official deadline, but won't be much after it, either), or a hammer vote is cast, in which case it is automatically night, whether or not the mod has made a day-end post. Note that this means you may not post content after a hammer vote.
  9. You may not post, nor quote directly from, any PM from a mod. Paraphrasing is fine.
  10. You may not play to lose, or act in a way that is clearly against your win condition.
  11. You may not use encryption systems in order to communicate privately or circumvent these rules.
  12. This is a game; it’s meant to be fun. Personal attacks or other offensive behaviour towards other players will not be tolerated.

Deadlines:
  1. In general, days will last for 5 RL days and nights for 2.5 RL days. Weekends will count as half time.
  2. Adjustments will be made to accommodate holidays, or for other reasons if the mod deems it necessary.
  3. In-thread deadline announcements from the mod override these rules.
  4. Requests for extensions will be considered, but you’d better have a good reason. “We need more general discussion,” is not a good reason.
  5. Deadlines are 'soft', meaning that posting and voting may continue after the deadline until a mod calls night.

Voting rules:
  1. Votes and questions for the mod must be posted in bold and on a new line, like this:
    Vote: Suzaku

You do NOT have to unvote to change votes, but it makes things easier and will be very much appreciated if you do. You can unvote in bold and on a new line, like this:
    Unvote (Suzaku)
    Vote: Ukazus

2. When someone gains a majority of the votes (that is, more than half the number of living players), they are automatically lynched and it becomes night, as above. Posting content after the hammer vote is not allowed, even if the hammer vote was accidental.
  3. If the deadline is reached and no player has been hammered, then the person with the most votes at the deadline will be lynched.
  4. If the votals are tied, then random.org will randomly select one of the tied players to be lynched, unless all players are voting solely for the tied players, in which case there will be no lynch.
  5. You can vote not to lynch anyone by casting a vote for "NL" or “No Lynch”. “No Lynch” will be treated exactly the same as any other player for determining votal results, except that "No Lynch" always wins ties.

Death rules:
  1. You’re alive until you are hammered in a lynch, or a mod tells you that you're dead, by PM or in thread.
  2. Once you die, you may no longer post content in this thread. You may post death flavour or a ‘Bah! You killed me,’ post that reveals no information.
  3. On the other hand, once you are dead you may read the spoilers in the discussion thread.

Private Message rules:
  1. You must include the mod in any PM you send related to this game.
  2. You can ask the mod questions by PM (at any time) if you'd rather not ask in thread.
  3. No PMing other players concerning this game unless your role specifically allows it.
  4. Any night actions must be sent by PM before the night deadline. If sent as part of a factional chat, please indicate the action in bold on a new line, as with voting. If you don’t do this and I miss your action, tough.
  5. If everyone with a night action and/or chat is ready to start the next day before the deadline for night is reached, the next day will begin early.

Game Setup:
Spoiler:
This is an open set up.
This means that I will tell you what the setup is, honestly, and will answer any questions about the setup the best I can.

The roles for this game shall be determined in the following manner based on this matrix:

Code: Select all

┌────────┬────────────────────┬────────────────┬──────────────┐
│ Number │          1         │        2       │       3      │
├────────┼────────────────────┼────────────────┼──────────────┤
│   4    │ Town Jailkeeper    │ Vanilla Townie │ Mafia Goon   │
│   5    │ Mafia Roleblocker  │ Town Cop       │ Town Doctor  │
│   6    │ Bulletproof Townie │ Mafia Goon     │ Town Tracker │
└────────┴────────────────────┴────────────────┴──────────────┘

A number from 1 to 6 will be chosen randomly by random.org and the roles in the row or column corresponding to that number will be selected to be in the game. Following this, Vanilla Townies and Mafia Goons will be added to bring the total number of roles to 7 town and 2 Mafia.

For example, if the number 5 is chosen, the roles will be Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, and 5 Vanilla Townies.

The exact setup that is selected will NOT be revealed.

Notes:
The Bulletproof ability is one-shot only, and does not protect from lynches.
The Bulletproof ability is reflexive and cannot be Roleblocked.
The Bulletproof Townie will NOT be informed if they are targeted and the protection used up.
The Mafia Roleblocker is able to use the Roleblock ability and perform the Mafia kill on the same night.
The Mafia Roleblock resolves before the Town Jailkeep. This means that if the Roleblocker targets the Jailkeeper, the Jailkeep action will be blocked and fail.
Players will not be informed if they are Roleblocked or Jailkept. However, roles that would normally receive a reported result will instead receive "No Result".

Players will be assigned to roles randomly, and you will receive a role PM explaining your role.

Winning and losing:
  • Town win when all Mafia are dead.
  • Mafia win either when they have an absolute majority of players (i.e. can control the lynch), or when nothing can prevent this from happening.
  • If this is unclear, please ask and I will attempt to clarify further.

Reveals:
  • Dead players’ roles will be fully revealed the morning after they die.

Role PMs:
Spoiler:
VT:
Hey, don’t shoot me! I didn’t see nothing, I swear!

Your Role: Vanilla Townie
<name>, you are a Vanilla Townie. During the day you try to protect yourself from the Mafia by voting on who should be lynched. At night, you cower in your bed hoping they don’t come after you.

Abilities:
  • You have no special abilities, and have to rely on your wits, your cunning and your vote.

Win condition:
You win when all Mafia are eliminated.

Goon:
So what’s up, boss? You need me to rub somebody out?

Your Role: Mafia Goon
<name>, you are a Mafia goon. During the day you pretend to be a law-abiding townie, but at night you gather with <player> to plot and plan your takeover of the town.

Abilities:
  • Mafia Chat - During the night phases (only) you may communicate with <player> via PMs. Please include me in all PMs.
  • Mafia Kill - Once per night you may choose a hapless townie to shoot. Whoever submits the kill, by posting Kill: [Target] bolded on a new line in the chat, will carry it out.

Win condition:
You win when you have an absolute majority of living players, or when nothing can prevent that from happening.

Notes for Newbies
Spoiler:
Welcome, newbies, to the XKCD forum Mafia community. Here are a few notes that might be of use to you.

First, you may wish to familiarise yourselves, if you’re not already, with the somewhat esoteric jargon and multifarious abbreviations used. You can see many fine examples of these at the Rules and Noob Guide. thread.

Then, in the interests of politeness to your fellow players of the game, you may wish to visit the Gender pronouns for our players! thread. You may, in fact, care to add your own preferences to the list.

More in depth articles about the origins, history, strategy, etc. of our great game can be found at Mafia Scum as well as at other locations in cyberspace that should be revealed to you by the search engine of your choice.

Please feel free to ask me questions at any point, either in-thread or by PM. The experienced players will also be willing to help out (Experienced players: this is not a suggestion)

Most of all, have fun :)

The original run I did can be found here.

Players:
  1. username5243 - Lynched D1, Town Jailkeeper
  2. Yablo
  3. adnapemit - Killed N2, Vanilla Town
  4. Echo244 - Lynched D2, Vanilla Town
  5. faubiguy - Lynched D3, Vanilla Town
  6. Opus_723
  7. SDK
  8. moody7277 - Killed N1, Vanilla Town
  9. bessie
Replacements:
1.Vytron
Last edited by Suzaku on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:09 am UTC, edited 16 times in total.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

username5243

Re: Matrix6 Redux Take 2 - Signups Open

Postby username5243 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:48 pm UTC

/in
This is a signature, in case you didn't notice.

Current tokens: 66.562

username5243

Postby username5243 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:56 pm UTC

Newbies:
1. username5243
Oldbies:

Replacements:

Suzaku, may I ask what a "tracker" and a "bulletproof townie" do? I've never been in a game with those roles...

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:18 pm UTC

Tracker - chooses a target at night and follows them, gets told who that target visits (if anyone).
e.g. Tracker Tom targets Doctor Dave; Dave doctors Bob; Tom gets told 'Dave visited Bob'.

Bulletproof Townie - A regular townie, but they can't be killed by the Mafia. In this game, that protection is only effective once.
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:21 pm UTC

Have you never been introduced to the mafiascum wiki? You're welcome! (Tracker is told who their target targeted, Bulletproof can't be killed at night).

I've played this setup before and loved it. Matrix6 is great for a nice, simple game, with a healthy dose of modgaming. Wish I could make the time to play this. I'm not going to make it official, but if you run out of replacements, Suzaku, hit me up.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:17 pm UTC

Newbies:
1. username5243
Oldbies:

Replacements:
1.Vytron

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:43 pm UTC

Newbies:
1. username5243
2. Yablo
Oldbies:

Replacements:
1.Vytron

The only games I've played were the two newbie games Vytron ran, but I'd like to think I only need one more to really get the hang of it. I was town in the first and mafia in the second, so I've seen both sides.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

BenM16

Postby BenM16 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:06 am UTC

Newbies:
1. username5243
2. Yablo
3. BenM16
Oldbies:

Replacements:
1.Vytron
Might not be able to make it every day but at least every other, so I won't miss a night cycle.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:34 am UTC

Newbies:
1. username5243
2. Yablo
3. BenM16
4. Echo244
Oldbies:

Replacements:
1.Vytron
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:08 am UTC

Newbies:
1. username5243
2. Yablo
3. BenM16
4. Echo244
5. faubiguy
Oldbies:

Replacements:
1.Vytron

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:05 pm UTC

Well, now that I'm suddenly in zero games... Sign up for this, people! It'll be fun!

Newbies:
1. username5243
2. Yablo
3. BenM16
4. Echo244
5. faubiguy
Oldbies:
*1. SDK

Replacements:
1.Vytron

Opus_723

Postby Opus_723 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:48 am UTC

I've never played a game of mafia in my life, but I've been lurking these forums for a couple of weeks now reading through the recent newbie games, and it looks like a lot of fun. I'm a little intimidated since it looks like I'll be the only one with zero experience, but count me in!

Newbies:
1. username5243
2. Yablo
3. BenM16
4. Echo244
5. faubiguy
6. Opus_723

Oldbies:
*1. SDK

Replacements:
1.Vytron

SDK

Postby SDK » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:12 pm UTC

Nice. Welcome to the game.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:49 pm UTC

Just need two more to begin :)

BenM16

Re: Matrix6 Redux Take 2 - 2 more players needed

Postby BenM16 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:09 pm UTC

/out

Suzaku

Re: Matrix6 Redux Take 2 - 3 more players needed

Postby Suzaku » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:46 pm UTC

Sorry to hear that.

3 more needed.

Come on, peeps, you know you want to :P

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:01 pm UTC

It really is a fun setup. Maybe write NEWBIE FRIENDLY! in the title? We should be able to pull more people from those Mafia 101 games Vytron's been running. Tell your friends!

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:35 pm UTC

SDK wrote:We should be able to pull more people from those Mafia 101 games Vytron's been running. Tell your friends!

Mafia 104 only got 1 player signing up, so I think the momentum was lost.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:03 pm UTC

I was planning on taking a break from mafia for a short time but i really want to see this game run! This is a great setup for newbies and was in fact my first game of mafia. I feel unworthy to sit in the "mentor" seat because I don't play often and I sometimes feel like a newbie myself, so maybe we can recruit one more oldbie. To anyone lurking and wondering if they should sign up for their first game, just do it!

Newbies:
1. username5243
2. Yablo
3. BenM16
4. Echo244
5. faubiguy
6. Opus_723

Oldbies:
*1. SDK
3. bessie

Replacements:
1.Vytron

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:39 pm UTC

Allez mafia!

Newbies:
1. username5243
2. Yablo
3. BenM16
4. Echo244
5. faubiguy
6. Opus_723

Oldbies:
*1. SDK
*2. moody7277
3. bessie

Replacements:
1.Vytron
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:06 pm UTC

Nice. Oh, but we do need one more. Ben dropped.

Newbies:
1. username5243
2. Yablo
4. Echo244
5. faubiguy
6. Opus_723

Oldbies:
*1. SDK
*2. moody7277
3. bessie

Replacements:
1.Vytron

adnapemit

Re: Matrix6 Redux Take 2 - Only 1 more player needed!

Postby adnapemit » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:48 am UTC

I'll play.

Newbies:
1. username5243
2. Yablo
3. adnapemit
4. Echo244
5. faubiguy
6. Opus_723

Oldbies:
*1. SDK
*2. moody7277
3. bessie

Replacements:
1.Vytron
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Suzaku

Re: Matrix6 Redux Take 2 - Pre Game

Postby Suzaku » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:40 am UTC

Thank you everyone for signing up!!

This is now pre-game. Role PMs will be sent soon have been sent.
Feel free to talk in the thread, and especiallyPlease feel free to ask questions, but do not post content until I announce game start.

Players:
  1. username5243
  2. Yablo
  3. adnapemit
  4. Echo244
  5. faubiguy
  6. Opus_723
  7. SDK
  8. moody7277
  9. bessie

Notes for Newbies
Repeated from the OP.

Welcome, newbies, to the XKCD forum Mafia community. Here are a few notes that might be of use to you.

First, you may wish to familiarise yourselves, if you’re not already, with the somewhat esoteric jargon and multifarious abbreviations used. You can see many fine examples of these at the Rules and Noob Guide. thread.

Then, in the interests of politeness to your fellow players of the game, you may wish to visit the Gender pronouns for our players! thread. You may, in fact, care to add your own preferences to the list.

More in depth articles about the origins, history, strategy, etc. of our great game can be found at Mafia Scum as well as at other locations in cyberspace that should be revealed to you by the search engine of your choice.

Please feel free to ask me questions at any point, either in-thread or by PM. The experienced players will also be willing to help out (Experienced players: this is not a suggestion)

Most of all, have fun :)
Last edited by Suzaku on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:46 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Suzaku

Re: Matrix6 Redux Take 2 - Pre Game

Postby Suzaku » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:44 am UTC

Role PMs have been sent.

Please confirm in the thread that you received, read, and understood yours.
Please do not post game content until I announce game start. Questions about the setup or about Mafia in general are fine.

The game will start once most players have confirmed.

Echo244

Re: Matrix6 Redux Take 2 - Confirmations

Postby Echo244 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:57 am UTC

Confirm. Yay for the game filling up!

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:36 pm UTC

Confirm.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

I have received my role.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:08 pm UTC

Got it, and welcome to the game, Time Panda! And all you others too, of course.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:45 pm UTC

Confirm.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:54 pm UTC

I have received, read, and destroyed my papers.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

username5243

Postby username5243 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:19 pm UTC

I have got my role.

On that note I'm not used to checking the subforum, which is why I'm not active...I might start my own newbie game series soon.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:29 pm UTC

Confirm

Opus_723

Postby Opus_723 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:44 am UTC

Confirmed!

username5243

Postby username5243 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:02 pm UTC

That's everyone, right?

Suzaku

Re: Matrix6 Redux Take 2 - D1

Postby Suzaku » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:31 pm UTC

That is everyone confirmed. Thank you.

The game may now commence.

9 players alive, 5 votes to hammer.

Deadline in about 1 week (will be firmed up later).

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:26 am UTC

Hooray!

And as first offering, I'd like to thank Suzaku for running this game, and everyone else for contributing their time and attention.

I've not read the previous games, I'm making a analysis of the setup from a newbie's perspective, please forgive mistakes.

Right. So, few power roles. Massclaims are out because scum can claim vanilla town and lynching our way through that pile will never work. We're just going to have to scum hunt the old fashioned way (says the brand new player).

Seven Town. Two Mafia. Let's start talking.

SDK

Postby SDK » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:48 pm UTC

Mass claims can still be useful later in the game, especially in this setup.

Vote username.

Opus_723

Postby Opus_723 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:41 pm UTC

I'd like to second the thanks to Suzaku for running a newbie game. As a brand newbie I really appreciate it!

Let's see if I can be helpful at all: If I understand the setup correctly, then mass claim doesn't really work unless we've lost three vanilla towns already. Then, looking at the matrix, there could only be one vanilla town left. At least one of the scum would be forced to claim a power role and step into the spotlight, right? This is my first game, so let me know if I'm being thick!

I don't think I need to random vote when we've already got some good setup discussion going. I'd like to hear more opinions from people on the setup first.

username5243

Postby username5243 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:08 pm UTC

Yep. Potential power roles, but there's always 2 mafaia. I have no opinion on voting either.

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:48 am UTC

Welcome new players!

There’s no reason to role claim on D1 (unless you are a power role about to be lynched). In this setup, there aren’t any investigation results to share yet. And there are at least 5 vanilla townies, so everyone can claim vanilla town.

username5243, does your comment “I have no opinion on voting either” refer to random voting? Do you think SDK’s vote for you was a random vote?

Return to “Mafia”