Deathless Mafia - Sign-ups and discussion thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Lawrencelot

Deathless Mafia - Sign-ups and discussion thread

Postby Lawrencelot » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:17 pm UTC

DEATHLESS MAFIA

For those who are tired of dying in this game. Starring Zombies, Aliens, Cults, and more!
This game will be a bit complex, with custom roles, however the set-up will be open. So no bastard-modding. There will be alignment-changing roles like cults and recruiting masons. In fact, getting players to join your group is the main way to win, since no one can die. Instead of lynching, players vote to turn someone into a vanilla townie, making them town but also making them lose their power.

This game is for exactly 7 players. Be prepared to play longer than usual, since you won't die!

Sign-ups:

Replacements:

I will also post the set-up here, since it will be open, so you can start asking questions if anything is unclear. And you can check if I overlooked something.

Some special rules (will write all rules in the game thread):
Spoiler:
Lynching a player will turn them into a vanilla townie, except for the Alien role.
Night phases will last 0 minutes since there is no mafia. You have to post actions during the day, with a back-up action, and I will resolve them after the lynch.
You are not allowed to use your role ability on the player that is going to get lynched. This is why you need a back-up action.
You have to play according to your current win condition. So don't try to get recruited for example. You are, however, allowed to reveal information you had in a previous role.
You are allowed to reveal information you had in a previous role.
What happens when you do an action depends on your role and the target's role. I've made a table of all interactions, see Interaction Table.
You can have multiple roles, for example a doc that becomes a cultist will be a cultist doc. Example: the doc can cure people, but he can also be part of the mason or cultist group, he can be infected by a Zombie, and he can be probed by the Alien. See role pms and Interaction Table.
A human is defined to be a non-zombie, non-alien.

Roles:
Spoiler:
1 mason
1 cultist
1 zombie
1 alien
1 shrink
1 doc
1 cop

Role pms:
Spoiler:
Mason role wrote:You are a Mason, aligned with the town. You can recruit one player every night: if succesful, that player becomes a mason the following day and you will be able to communicate. Only the oldest mason gets to recruit new masons. You win when there are no zombies or cultists left.

Cultist role wrote:You are a Cultist, aligned with the Cult. You can recruit one player every night: if succesful, that player becomes a cultist the following day and you will be able to communicate. Only the oldest cultist gets to recruit new cultists. You win when all humans have become cultists.

Zombie role wrote:You are a Zombie, aligned with the Zombies. You can't be recruited or probed. You can infect one player every night: if succesful, that player becomes infected the following day, and a Zombie the day after. You cannot communicate with anyone else. All zombies can infect one player, and players won't notice if they are infected, only if they become a Zombie. You win when all humans are infected.

Alien role wrote:You are an Alien, independent. You have come to Earth to investigate the human race, which you do by probing humans. You can probe one player every night. You will fail to probe if anyone targets you, and when someone becomes a zombie or gets lynched they lose their probe. You will always know who is probed and who isn't, and you can choose one of the probed players and change their ability target or choose to let them target no one. If you are lynched, you won't become a vanilla townie but you will be revealed as Alien. You win when all humans have been probed and there is at least 1 human.

Shrink role wrote:You are a Shrink, aligned with the town. You can target one player every night: if they were part of the cult or mason group, they will leave that group the following day. If a mason or cultist tries to recruit your target they will fail. You win when there are no zombies or cultists left.

Doc role wrote:You are a Doc, aligned with the town. You can target one player every night and cure their infection or Zombie disease. If your target is bitten by a Zombie, they won't become infected. Unlike other humans, you will notice when a Zombie bites you, and you are able to cure yourself if you choose so. You win when there are no zombies or cultists left.

Cop role wrote:You are a Cop, aligned with the town. You can target one player every night to find out which group they belong to. You will see the role of the person, whether they are part of the mason or cultist group, whether they are infected or not, and whether they are probed or not. This action will be resolved after all other actions. You win when there are no zombies or cultists left.

Interaction table:
Spoiler:
What happens when one role targets another role?

Last edited by Lawrencelot on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Ug

Re: Deathless Mafia - Sign-ups and discussion thread

Postby Dr Ug » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:08 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Dr Ug

Replacements:
Where did my old signature go? :(

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:25 pm UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:You have to play according to your current win condition. So don't try to get recruited for example.
Lawrencelot wrote:
Doc role wrote:You are a Doc, aligned with the town. You can target one player every night and cure their infection or Zombie disease. If your target is bitten by a Zombie, they won't become infected. Unlike other humans, you will notice when a Zombie bites you, and you are able to cure yourself if you choose so. You win when there are no zombies or cultists left.
Are these not contradictory? If you are infected doc, by definition you must target yourself to play according to your current win condition?

maident

Postby maident » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:12 am UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Dr Ug
2. Maident

Replacements:

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:27 am UTC

Dr Ug wrote:Are these not contradictory? If you are infected doc, by definition you must target yourself to play according to your current win condition?

If you think saving yourself is best for town then yes, as an infected doc you target yourself. But I don't see the contradiction: you don't become a Zombie right away, if bitten you become infected the next day and you become a Zombie only the day after.

However, Vytron made a good point about this rule in the Gojoe thread, so I'm willing to discuss the rule about playing to your current win condition. There was no particular reason that I included the rule, so please let me know what you all think about it.

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:07 pm UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:
Dr Ug wrote:Are these not contradictory? If you are infected doc, by definition you must target yourself to play according to your current win condition?

If you think saving yourself is best for town then yes, as an infected doc you target yourself. But I don't see the contradiction: you don't become a Zombie right away, if bitten you become infected the next day and you become a Zombie only the day after.
The issue is that as infected doctor, you are still town aligned. Anything other than removing your own infection, is not playing to your current (ie town) win condition. Yet you state in the rules that it's up to you whether you do so or not. I see that as a contradiction.

I do also agree with Vytron that that rule should be changed to "you must play to win".

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:18 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Dr Ug
2. Maident
3. patzer

Replacements:

Question: does the game end as soon as any of the teams wins?

e.g. The alien probes everyone. The alien wins; does the game end?

Or the zombies infect everyone. The zombies win; does the game end?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:41 pm UTC

Yes, the game ends when one of the teams or the independent wins.

I have got rid of the rule about playing to your current win condition. Just play to win. If this causes the game to be unbalanced in your opinion, please let me know.

maident

Postby maident » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:07 pm UTC

In my opinion, it might be better instead to just make it so that the doctor is technically on the zombie team if successfully bitten (aka did not protect him/her/them self that Night).

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 pm UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:I have got rid of the rule about playing to your current win condition.

Yay!

Sign-ups:
1. Dr Ug
2. Maident
3. patzer
4. Vytron

Replacements:

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:30 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Dr Ug
2. Maident
3. patzer
4. Vytron
5. SirGabriel

Replacements:

G0NZ0

Postby G0NZ0 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:52 am UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Dr Ug
2. Maident
3. patzer
4. Vytron
5. SirGabriel
6. Gonzo

Replacements:

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:16 pm UTC

Only 1 more player, then we can start!

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:43 am UTC

OK, count me in. I was a wee bit wary of getting in to too many games at once, but Matrix seems a bit stalled in signups, and this sounds fun.

Apologies in advance for any newbie mistakes I make. ;-D

Sign-ups:
1. Dr Ug
2. Maident
3. patzer
4. Vytron
5. SirGabriel
6. Gonzo
7. Echo244

Replacements:
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Return to “Mafia”