Draculafia! N3 - Nosferatu - GAME OVER - LIVING VICTORY

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

mpolo

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby mpolo » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:08 am UTC

Near certain town:
Madge, freezeblade

People I currently trust:
SDK, bessie

People I have a generally townie feeling from:
jimbobmacadoodle, moody, Vytron, Misnomer

People I have no read on:
ConMan, dimochka

Which means that from where I'm sitting, there is likely scum in that last group. As I'm going to be offline:

Vote: dimochka

As he is generally dangerous as scum.
Image <-- Evil experiment

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:58 pm UTC

Claims we've had:

freezeblade: Arthur Holmwood
Madge: Abraham van Helsing

I wonder if mpolo's comment about the number of characters was meant as there aren't that many or there's a lot? freezeblade's claim is a secondary person (had to look him up) and so has a better chance of being real than Madge's which might be a safe claim (the main protagonist).
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:10 pm UTC

I think mpolo’s comment about the number of characters probably means that there aren’t many (unlike Once Upon a Mafia, where there were about fifty primary and secondary characters from which to choose, and in which scum did in fact make a successful false claim). So false claiming is risky for scum, unless they were given safe claims of if their role PM implied that there was a character that wasn’t in the game.

Arthur Holmwood (Lord Godalming) and Abraham van Helsing are in the opening flavor, so it’s reasonable to guess they are in the game, and risky false claims for scum.

Since my two main scum choices have made reasonable town claims and there have been no counterclaims, I will need to reevaluate my reads on everyone tonight.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:19 pm UTC

Right, so now that we have an extension:
unvote

anyone else going to unvote now?
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:23 pm UTC

Unoffical Votals:
freezeblade - 3 (jimbobmacdoodle, bessie, madge)
Madge - 2 (moody7277, Misnomer)
mpolo - 1 (ConMan)
dimochka - 1 (mpolo)

Not voting (4): mpolo, dimochka, SDK, Vytron
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:24 pm UTC

ebwop (forgot to remove mpolo from "not voting")

freezeblade - 3 (jimbobmacdoodle, bessie, madge)
mpolo - 1 (ConMan)
dimochka - 1 (mpolo)

Not voting (3): dimochka, SDK, Vytron

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:26 pm UTC

Sorry freezeblade, I forgot.

Unvote

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:07 pm UTC

I don't like mpolo's vote, but I don't think that he's scum.

Madge - I'm disappointed in you. I actually speculated in Gojoe that you were a doctor... well too late now.

So here are the somewhat good news - there aren't that any major characters, so I don't think scum should have safe claims. I'd be suspicious of anyone whose role isn't mentioned in some way in the flavor (or isn't extremely logical to have). Based on this I believe both freezeblade and madge to be town, at least as of this point...

UNLESS

What if there is only one Dracula (plus independents), but he got to recruit on D0? Is that possible at all? I just want this to be out there, because we could have one of these two players somewhat eager to claim and get town cred, yet already be part of the cult.

Anyways

I think ConMan is still flying very much under the radar and I think as a result he could be in the scum team. It seemed to me that he downplayed the existence of a cult and then when the setup was pointed out, he "retracted" his mistake. Although for what it's worth, it IS possible that we don't have a cult (but instead something like a mafia supporter). Re-reading ConMan's posts now, I realized I need to go back and re-read mpolo's stuff. But if I had to vote right now, I'd vote for ConMan.
I'm also watching moody and bessie very closely.

@Madge - are you in a mason group? If so, I don't want to know who the masons are. Actually I'm not even sure if this is a good question to ask, so answer if you think it makes sense.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:49 pm UTC

Unvote
Sorry for the delay in unvoting, freezeblade, I've not had enough time today to post until now. I'm still trying to decide what I think of the claims. On the one hand, it does not look like there are any counter-claims forthcoming. On the other hand, a part of me can think of all sorts of reasons why there wouldn't be counter-claims if the claims were false. However, I suspect that's the paranoid part of me thinking!

I'm with mpolo that a mass claim would not be the best of ideas. I'd guess that a good mod like DJ will have built anti-claim mechanics into the game somehow, although I have no idea what form those might take. I'd be surprised though that it would simply break the game, as suggested by mpolo, due to a lack of characters.

Madge's reaction to the tie seems like someone panicking. If someone made a last minute switch to get her lynched, after the general consensus seemed to be to wait for a tie, then that would essentially out themselves at scum. At this stage, I'd take a single townie mislynch to get a pretty much guaranteed lynch of a single scum. Mind you, I wasn't on the receiving end of this bandwagon, so I don't know how I'd have reacted in that situation. Hmm.. after a bit of a reread, I can definitely see Madge trying to pass on the information about there being multiple different types of actions, which lines up with her claim:
Madge wrote:I think if there's one scum faction they could have two ways of performing the kill (e.g. a 'normal' kill, or "killing" someone by turning them into a vampire).
I therefore am definitely willing to accept that claim.

In my reread, I just noticed Vytron's comments on freezeblade's meta:
Vytron wrote:I don't want FB lynched, this is his classic town freaking out reaction, and it seems he could be a PR.

and in response to moody's "Interesting that according to fb, no one remembers what his town meta is since it has been so long." he says
Vytron wrote:But I remember his scum meta, and this is something different.

Not something along the lines of "I know it's been a while, but I genuinely do remember his town meta". The two statements do not match up. Care to explain this mismatch Vytron?

freezeblade, Madge, any updates on who you think might be scum?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:08 pm UTC

Those two claims have me wondering if we could just break the game open with a mass claim. I agree that the flavour seems to indicate that those named characters couldn't be dracula himself, though maybe they're traitors in the subflavour somehow? Not sure. Surely DJ wouldn't have given us 6(?) confirmed townies...

Anyway, I've got to do this in a rush, so I'm just going to assume that Madge and freezeblade are town.

1. Vytron - Probably town? The only weird thing here is that he was supporting both leading wagons, though for good reasons I suppose
2. SirGabriel Bessie - Maybe scum. Not a big fan of basically any of her posts regarding freezeblade and Madge. Seems like they were reaching. Needs to revaluate, so we'll see where that goes.
3. username5243 Dimochka - Off the freezeblade and Madge wagons so... nevermind, no, that doesn't mean anything if both wagons were town. Focused on ConMan when noone else is. Seems a bit detached from the conversations, but nothing concerning. Neutral.
6. mpolo - Feels like town mpolo. Nothing concerning, but this town read is based on meta more than anything (and the fact that I've read him correctly in the past).
7. ConMan - No read.
9. moody7277 - Probably town.
10. jimbobmacdoodle - Probably town, but I didn't reread him in this skim.
11. coldblood11 Misnomer - Feels town with a bit of scummy spice. Town overall though.

I should have had more time to devote to this, but it looks like I'm voting bessie at this point.

Vote bessie.

Deadline in... oh! 2 days! Wow! Okay! I don't normally do anything substantial over the weekend, but I'll make sure to at least check my phone as we go here. Maybe I can get a longer read in if I'm lucky.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:49 pm UTC

Unvote

Busy day today, might have some time later.

I am also a bit keen on a massclaim just because we haven't done one in a while. That said, I wonder if DJ has a game breaking mechanic.

Anyway, I solemnly swear that I am not a mason, I have no powers I didn't mention, and that as far as I know I haven't left any details out of my role.

@dim - yeah I realised that talking about knowing stuff about the kill was kind of a doctor tell but at that point I'd already said it. ARGH.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:43 pm UTC

I'll be mostly AFK for most of the weekend, but I will check back in after a re-read more thoughts, however I'm most agreeing with SDK's analysis, who is a very good scum hunter when he's town, and in this case I feel he is (meta-gut feeling at least)

vote: besse

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:54 pm UTC

Votals:

mpolo - 1 (ConMan)
dimochka - 1 (mpolo)
bessie - 2 (SDK, freezeblade)

Not voting (5): , dimochka, Vytron, bessie, jimbobmacdoodle, Madge.

11 players, 6 to lynch.

Deadline: Thursday, October 29, 11:59 PM EST

Tied votals at deadline will result in no lynch
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:26 am UTC

Happy Halloween Draculafia!

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:40 am UTC

Happy Halloween Djehutynakht, have a great weekend!

SDK, why the vote? You must have something more than this.
SDK wrote: Bessie - Maybe scum. Not a big fan of basically any of her posts regarding freezeblade and Madge. Seems like they were reaching. Needs to revaluate, so we'll see where that goes.

Please point to exactly where you think I am reaching in an unreasonable manner. Was it because I pushed Madge on the role PM thing? Or attacked freezeblade for his lack of content? You couldn’t have entirely disagreed with me when you posted this.
SDK wrote:Madge I think is scummy, as I said before. The Role PM thing more commonly comes from scum, and she sort of doubled-down on that gamble while at the same time distancing herself from the idea somewhat. The whole thing just feels wrong, like she's too confident about certain things, but then backs off or gives a clipped answer when asked. As for other content, Madge doesn't usually do much Day 1, but she does talk. Here she's barely involved apart from talking about herself.

freezeblade is a bit tricky for me at the moment. He felt pretty good starting off, being involved in one thing or another, but that dropped off pretty rapidly. A defensive vote is his only contribution in a long while.

freezeblade, so you’re voting for me because SDK is voting for me, and you’re gut says SDK is town? I think that if you’re going to vote for me you should at least read through the thread and try to find a reason you think I’m scummy to justify your vote.

Madge wrote:I am also a bit keen on a massclaim just because we haven't done one in a while. That said, I wonder if DJ has a game breaking mechanic.

dimochka wrote:What if there is only one Dracula (plus independents), but he got to recruit on D0? Is that possible at all? I just want this to be out there, because we could have one of these two players somewhat eager to claim and get town cred, yet already be part of the cult.

There’s been some discussion already on possible Dracula recruiting mechanics. I think that if Dracula can recruit then this is the anti mass claim mechanic. We can all claim today but it won’t matter tomorrow if there has been a recruit.

I hope to have a post with some player reads soon.

SDK

Postby SDK » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:39 pm UTC

There was a case on Madge and freezeblade. A lot of people saw that, me included. Your contributions to the wagon felt different. Felt dishonest, felt nitpicky and didn't feel like town you. I'll break that down if I have time this weekend.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:56 pm UTC

The idea of a recruitment role as anti-massclaim mechanism is a worrying one, but there's little we can do about it for now. (In any case, I'm meta-opposed to D1 massclaims). What it does mean though is that anybody assumed semi-confirmed today on the grounds of their role cannot necessarily be assumed cleared tomorrow.

Anyway, it looks like we need a new lynch.

Unvote

We've had enough post analyses, so here's a gut feeling list instead:
- FB and Madge are excused as lynch candidates by their roleclaims - I don't really see the case against FB, but have some residual suspicion against Madge
- Vytron I'm getting a distinctly townie vibe from - he's taken on quite a leading role in discussions, and has generally been talking a lot of sense
- Bessie pushed pretty hard against freezeblade & SDK, but I'm not getting scum pings from this. Sir Gab's first post might be considered a bit on the defensive side though
- Dimochka's been making sound, relatively unexciting posts - the only thing that worries me slightly there is the masons questions. Neutral
- SDK's activity somewhat outweighs his content... but nothing exactly jumps out.
- mpolo pinged me earlier, and then went largely incommunicado (with warning). Recent posts have been reasonable but haven't shaken my earlier suspicions.
- ConMan has been flying below the radar somewhat, which I'm uneasy about.
- Moody - struggling to get a read...
- jimbob is coming across as reasonably townie to me

In terms of lynch candidates, that gives me mpolo (earlier suspicions), ConMan (scum are often the quiet ones) and Moody (lynching what you don't understand is a surprisingly successful D1 tactic...)

mpolo has votes already, so

Vote: mpolo
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:08 pm UTC

OK SDK, fair enough. At least you have given a reason for voting for me. I have been having a lot of trouble getting reads on players this game, and not for lack of trying (I just keep staring at my notes). Here’s what stands out to me.

ConMan wrote:So, joke votes are jokey, Vytron is Vytron...y, and people here know way more of the theme than me so I will trust that they're presenting the speculation somewhat fairly. Of course, Vytron's claim is annoying because in recent memory I think his gambits have tended either to "be 100% honest to the point that no-one believes it" or "introduce so much confusion that no-one knows what to believe" and this is basically right in the centre of it. So while I don't advocate lynching him for the bold claim, I would not be particularly surprised if he was night killed (and if he were, I don't know whether I'd be pinning it on scum, vig or other kill).

This remark about Vytron is odd to me. What makes you think Vyrron will be night killed based off one post where he claimed power town? Moody later has a similar reaction to Vytron.

moody7277 wrote:--Vytron as usual. Consensus right now looks like throwing up of hands regarding him.

So Vytron claimed power town. I’ve hinted at this before and no one else has brought it up, so I’ll just go ahead and say it. I think that all the town roles in this game are power town. Some powers may be more useful to town than others, but whoever scum kills, they will hit power town. So while I understand freezeblade’s self preservation vote, I still don’t like Madge’s vote to break the tie and lynch freezeblade. Quite honestly, this post doesn’t sit well with me. I’ll just quote it and leave it at that.
Madge wrote:As people have so helpfully pointed out, scum is quite capable of breaking the tie at the 11th hour and sending me home if I leave the tie there.

I'd rather risk lynching town!FB than risk being lynched myself, especially with my role being as it is.

SDK – On page 1 votes jimbobmacdoodle for being scum, later unvoted and voted coldblood11 for his name. Nothing suspicious about the votes, but the vote for jimbob was without explanation or followup, the vote for coldblood came with discussion questions. Also, you think I’m nitpicky? You pressed Madge with a question on exclamation points.

moody7277 – Voted for Madge for pulling the PM gambit. But it took a while. Moody didn’t vote for Madge until his fourth post after she mentioned her PM, and only after mpolo pointed it out. Why?

Vytron – I think Vytron had been quite townie this game. This alone should make me suspicious, but it doesn’t. I’m more suspicious of everyone that jumped in and said Vytron is being Vytron, Vytron is his usual self. I think some of those people may have been testing the waters to see if they could start something early on Vytron. Because scum or town Vytron is not his usual self.

Misnomer – I’m just not seeing your vote for mpolo. You made a post with seven reasons mpolo’s post pinged you, but your final conclusion was that it was a gut feeling. And in your previous post, it seems like it’s still mostly a gut feeling (even though you say his recent posts are reasonable and acknowledge that he won’t be here before deadline to defend himself).

If I was going purely by my gut feeling, I would vote for Madge. But instead, I think I will do this.

Vote ConMan

Reasons:
1. His comments about Vytron in his first post.
2. His early speculation that a recruiting role is unlikely, and later accepting that it might be possible but downplaying the danger by speculating that there are probably significant balancing factors.
3. His open ended comment on Madge (“There’s one little niggle about Madge’s claim, but looking at it I strongly suspect that in fact she and freezeblade are telling the truth”). Seems like he wants leave himself an opening in case things turn on Madge later.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:42 pm UTC

I've been thinking about how quiet ConMan has been for much of the day, and now bessie has voted, it seems that someone else has seen something. So I've done a post-by-post read through of his posts to see what I can find (my own thoughts in square brackets after each post):

Post 1: States how annoying Vytron's claim is, and mentions that he wouldn't be suprised if Vytron was night killed. He also doubts recruitment, but does say that it might be a possibilty if not guaranteed, in this post. [So those who stated that ConMan dismissed recruitment as possible aren't quite right. Also some other setup spec.]
Post 2: More accepting of recruitment, reiterates need for balancing factors. Otherwise just more miscellaneous setup spec.
Post 3: More discussion on recruitment balancing factors. Points out that there has to be a non-single-person balancing factor to make things fair.
Post 4: Niggle with Madge's claim, but suspect freezeblade and Madge claims true. No good reads, but tends to agree with others re. mpolo. Vytron a weak second on scum list. Votes mpolo. [Note that nobody else was voting mpolo at this point.]
Post 5: [Oh wait, there's only been 4 posts from him... (at least I can't see any more, though I guess I could have been careless...)]

ConMan, can you explain what you meant about a niggle with Madge's claim?

My original gut feeling before this read-through was that I didn't feel particularly suspicious about this. However, my opinion following this reread of his posts is much more negative. On the surface of it, I'm not too bothered about his recruitment opinion. However, apart from some other setup spec, and a couple of comments on Vytron's claim, only his fourth post actually contains any thoughts from him about others, and that partly about our two bandwagons. He then votes for the person who others had previously thought scummy. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it might be trying to start a bandwagon that he thinks others are likely going to jump on.

So, another couple of questions for ConMan, what is your opinion on mpolo now, given his latest posts? Could you point to something specific that you don't like about him?

Vote: ConMan

I'm far from certain that ConMan is scum. I'd be willing to move my vote, if I find his responses good.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:02 pm UTC

And with that we have a three-way tie of two votes apiece. I'll be able to look over the candidates Sunday morning my time several hours and decide then if necessary. Still have Madge as my number one suspect, but most people seem to buy her Van Helsing claim right now. Regarding bessie's question on my being late to the party on the PM thing, the first couple of posts I was paying attention more to SirG than anything else. It wasn't until mpolo rubbed my nose in what she was doing that I decided "Oh, hell no."

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:58 pm UTC

bessie:

post 1: confirmation
post 2: setup spec. already developing all town PR hypothesis. pinged by Madge
post 3: further developing suspicion of Madge. irony about fb's lack of content comment. promising reads list
post 4: upset with fb's D1 comments. votes fb, fos on Madge
post 5: reaction to Madge's tie-breaking vote
post 6&7: response to my concerns over the claims. unvotes
post 8: reaction to SDK's vote and fb's vote. still promising reads list
post 9: reads list with Vytron townie. suspicious of the apathy regarding Vytron's claim, reiterates all town-PR hypothesis. would like to vote Madge. votes ConMan with justification

She had the same suspicions of fb and Madge as I did early on, but has been more accepting of their claims than I have (especially Madge). The reads list she was talking about doing finally shows up in the last post.

ConMan:

post 1: reaction to Vytron's claim, wouldn't be surprised if he got NKed. setup spec with possible second scum faction
post 2: more setup spec wrt Dracula recruiting
post 3: response to dimochka on recruit spec
post 4: Madge's and fb's claims likely true (except for one little thing). Vytron weakly suspicious over lack of response to apathy. votes mpolo

He has a slight justification about the superficialness of his posts. Interestingly, he and bessie are concerned over the reactions to Vytron, just in opposite directions.

mpolo:

post 1: has recent flavor knowledge (tries to downplay it a little). extensive role spec based off this
post 2: spec on possible Dracula associates
post 3: response to Madge's PM info. against use of PM-wording arguments
post 4: glancing attempt to analyze Madge's reference
post 5: answer's Misnomer's question on who he'd make survive to D2 with SDK.
post 6: bit more role spec. likes bessie's and ConMan's posts.
post 7: reads Madge as neutral (both townie for some PM stuff, scummy on other posts)
post 8: considering vote
post 9: anti-mass claim. concern about Vytron's opinion. believes Madge's claim, had already been leaning in that direction in his read of her role.
post 10: short reads list with only ConMan and dimochka not listed as some degree of town. votes dimochka

As I said before, mpolo's flavor knowledge put him at a bit of an advantage. He could have made posts that look like contributing but are mostly fluff, as the first few appear to be. He does settle in to more useful activity. I'm not sure I agree with some of his opinions, and the vote on dim for being "dangerous if he's scum" looks arbitrary.

Among these three, most suspicious to least is ConMan, mpolo, bessie.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:12 pm UTC

On my phone, so votals will have to wait.

Just a reminder, Deadline in a little less than 11 hours..

No further extensions shall be given. Any ties result in no-lynch.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:36 pm UTC

Unofficial votals:

mpolo – 2 (ConMan, Misnomer)
dimochka – 1 (mpolo)
bessie – 2 (SDK, freezeblade)
ConMan – 3 (bessie, jimbobmacdoodle, moody7277)

Not voting (3): dimochka, Vytron, Madge.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:52 pm UTC

I want to hear from ConMan before I vote, but you all know where my preferences stand without his input.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:21 pm UTC

EBWOP: I meant an hour and a half. Which is now moot, as it is now an hour later, so half an hour-ish.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:27 pm UTC

OOOPS! Sorry, just realised I edited my last post instead of quoting by accident. Here's what it said originally:

*Wonders where all the people who are prospective lynchees are*. I'm going to be up for maybe another and a half, at which point my vote will be stuck where it is. Given his current lack of communication, I'm assuming that it's going to be ConMan.

Feel free to go back and look in a cache if you want to verify what I said.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:20 pm UTC

People waiting on me to say something? I feel so special. Ok, I will read over the thread again and see what I need to say about things. Hopefully I can do it before deadline.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:30 pm UTC

Reminder: Deadline in 5 and 1/2 Hours:

Votals:

dimochka – 1 (mpolo)

Not voting (3): dimochka, Vytron, Madge.

11 players, 6 to lynch.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:25 am UTC

First, to once again try to explain my wishy-washy attitude on culting. I will state, point blank, that there is no information in my role PM that suggests any means of anyone's win condition changing. If by some freak chance someone has a lie detector power, they are by all means welcome to confirm that. I discounted the possibility of Dracula having a recruit based on pure balance spec, but as others pointed out that the flavour and the rules specifically allowed for the possibility, I revised my speculation to include ways that a recruit *could* exist and still be reasonably balanced.

I am still of the belief that both freezeblade and Madge are likely in the clear. Freezeblade's posts definitely left a little to be desired, between saying there's not a lot to analyse and then saying that lynching him would be to town's detriment (which is a great claim-that-is-not-a-claim for town and scum alike), but post-role claims it's hard to argue that either of them are likely to be lying about who they are. Of course, on the assumption of a recruit existing, we cannot expect that their towniness will tide them over for too long.

In terms of other reads, I am feeling something odd about dimochka, but I'm trying to work out how much of that is genuine scum-tell and how much is just OMGUS for being the first person to really focus on me. I haven't got the same iffiness from bessie that others seem to be picking up on, so no further comment on that. SDK's stuff seems pretty helpful to me - no issues so far I guess?

I've been trying to work out just what has seemed off about Vytron, and I think it might actually be his curtness - a lot of his more recent posts have been very short replies with very little information, and as you can see I'm much more a fan of the wall-o'-text school of discussion. My comment about not being surprised if he gets night killed is not meant to say that I think he *will*, but that it's not out of the question that there is someone in this game with the deadly combination of a kill and a desire to not have to worry about Vytron's playstyle.

mpolo's posts are similarly curt, although they're a bit longer than most of Vytron's, and they do contain some information to work on. Certainly if Madge had turned up scum then mpolo's defence of her would be mighty suspicious, but as has been pointed out it was actually that he had picked up on her hints that she was the doctor and hence was trying to protect her without outing her to those of us who hadn't picked up on it. However, the point really does need to be made - even if Madge turns up as town it doesn't clear mpolo. Defending town is a great way to look towny, and to get at least that player on side, and then you have the choice between keeping them alive and hoping to use your influence to affect their decisions, or killing them off and looking surprised in the morning.

I'm not sure what else I can offer at this point. Nothing is really jumping out besides what I've already said, and I should probably thank jimbob for picking up on the fact that I never completely ruled out a cult (although it's true I have expressed more concern about the possibility the more it's discussed). I suppose I could switch my vote to bessie to push for a no lynch, but (a) that's not the way I roll, (b) I suspect me doing that would be a scummier-looking move anyway and would probably just result in even more votes on me, and (c) as much as losing me to the lynch will be a bad thing, at least then town will have some info from it that will hopefully be of more value than if we no-lynched.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:47 am UTC

Well, since still I’m a possible lynch target, I may as well throw out a few thoughts.

moody – No one has counterclaimed Madge, so I have no reason to doubt her claim. I think Van Helsing is in the game, if for no other reason in that there just aren’t a lot of characters in the book. But I have my suspicions of Madge, because even if she’s Van Helsing she might not be town. As dimochka pointed out, there may have already been a recruit.

I would rather not claim. For one thing, we’re not sure about the anti claim mechanics. SDK suggested a massclaim and I’m not entirely happy with him right now. And the player that is most eager for a mass claim is Madge, and I’m suspicious of her.

And also, to be honest, I’m not sure that I’m the worst choice for a mislynch. I’ve already said that I believe there are no vanilla town roles. I’m power town, but unlike Madge, I’m not sure that someone else isn’t more important than me, or that someone else may be the one with the best shot of killing Dracula.

Madge, I just want to say again that I think it was very scummy of you to try to break the tie and lynch freezeblade after he claimed Arthur Holmwood. You’re more focused on trying to save yourself than helping town. Even if you’re town Van Helsing (and not scum Van Helsing or independent Van Helsing), I think it’s wrong of you to assume that you are more important than anyone else in the game. I wasn’t able to read the book over the weekend so my information comes from Wikipedia, but it looks like in the book Van Helsing kills the sisters, but Jonathan Harker and Quincey Morris are the ones that kill Dracula. So maybe we need them too.

ConMan, Madge isn’t voting yet. Maybe she will show up and you will still have an opportunity to lynch me.

By the way, this made me smile:
ConMan wrote:My comment about not being surprised if he gets night killed is not meant to say that I think he *will*, but that it's not out of the question that there is someone in this game with the deadly combination of a kill and a desire to not have to worry about Vytron's playstyle.

Other than that, I don’t have anything to add, but will be around if anyone wants to ask me a question.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:59 am UTC

I'm not going to stand idly by and let people lynch the doctor, who is me, who is my only 100% sure town read in the game. Like, seriously? In what universe is that good? I should just go down with the ship?

I'm happiest to lynch Bessie out of {mpolo, bessie,conman} because I liked ConMan's last minute speech and bessie's rubs me the wrong way.

Vote: Bessie

I will leave this vote on for roughly an hour, and if there's still a tie, I will unvote so we don't have a nolynch. Hope that's OK. Deadline's not for two and a half hour so plenty of leeway.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:18 am UTC

Reminder: Deadline in 2 and 1/2 Hours:

We are now tied.

Votals:

dimochka – 1 (mpolo)
bessie – 3 (SDK, freezeblade, Madge)

Not voting (3): dimochka, Vytron,

11 players, 6 to lynch.

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:29 am UTC

Madge did exactly what I thought she would do (see my previous post).

Madge, we weren’t going to “lynch the doctor” we were trying to get an extension. You voted against an extension. You are acting very anti town.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:34 am UTC

Bessie doesn't rub me the wrong way, and actually, this looks just like town!bessie on meta. I'm actually suspect more the people that wanted her lynched for nothing, that haven't actually managed to put something suspicious about her in words.

I'll push for a Madge lynch if ConMan is scum.

As for me, yeah, I'm usually Mr. Wall of text. I tend to post a long and games tend to focus on me. I thought I managed to avoid that well, because it tends to be a distraction, but it seems I only did it partially. Nobody has disagreed with me on some core issue, and so, I haven't been triggered to discuss the issue ad-nauseam.

Bessie is right this isn't my usual game, so she gets more townie points for not saying the "Vytron is Vytron" thing, which is actually easy, and we should indeed look into the people that dealt with me the cheap way.

Misnomer is right about ConMan's flying under the radar, and I really doubt ConMan would have said all that if he wasn't pushed, which is the problem. "Pressure me or I won't talk." I think it's a great lynch.

However, I currently have Misnomer as neutral. He's the kind of player that manages to build great mislynches on town players, so I'll definitively have his as scummy if ConMan is innocent, and will want Misnomer lynched if mpolo flips town too. This is because I don't recall ever seeing Misnomer busing a buddy D1, but his scumdar is good, so his two main suspects being town would be damning for him (he's mighty dangerous as scum, - very self-aware and good at avoiding saying scummy thing, but could be unmasked if he keeps building trains on townies.)

Ninja - Yes, I agree with bessie. However, if ConMan flips scum, then this is... Madge being Madge :P

Offtopic (everyone can read)
Spoiler:
Actually, I've kind of seen Madge playing a bit more erratically in all her games recently. I don't know if this is scum!Madge or just her new meta, as I recall she saying she wasn't happy with her old meta, and it's a possibility we got a new Madge experimenting with her playing style.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:37 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Ninja - Yes, I agree with bessie. However, if ConMan flips scum, then this is... Madge being Madge :P

This should read "if ConMan flips town", as otherwise it makes no sense.

This is because Madge jumping to save scum!ConMan looks very bad. She wanting to lynch town!bessie instead of town!ConMan is neutral.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:42 am UTC

All it would take would be one person changing their vote to lynch the doctor. I'm not risking a confirmed doctor on that chance, especially when that doctor was (stupidly) softclaiming so scum might well use the opportunity. I'm not taking that risk with my life. It's easy for you to say I should when you're not me.

I've explained that several times already.

Also this exact thing happened in this week's episode of survivor which amuses me to no end (Ciera's name was brought up as the decoy elimination candidate, so she went and campaigned with a few choice people to vote Woo out instead, because she wasn't comfortable being in an alliance that had her so low on the totem pole that she was the name they were throwing as a decoy boot. Fun fact: She also did this in her first season).

ninja:

Offtopic all may read
Spoiler:
I don't know. I think something in me changed when we had that Inspiring Exchange back I don't know when, but I think it changed in the "fuck it, why do I bother with analysis, I'm never any good at it". Because it's true, I don't know how people can find these tiny little things and get use out of them - yet they can, and I somehow can't.

Quite happy for my new meta to be survivor references tho.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:45 am UTC

Unvote

I wanted to give people opportunity to discuss things more and have a viable alternative to ConMan's lynch and it looks like there's a consensus, my opinion isn't strong enough to keep this vote down.

Godspeed, my friends.

I'm guessing I will be dead tonight unless we have a skilled roleblocker or scum has bigger fish to fry, or I look scummy enough that they think I might get lynched later.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:15 am UTC

Reminder: Deadline in 45 minutes:

Votals:

dimochka – 1 (mpolo)
ConMan – 4 (bessie, jimbobmacdoodle, moody7277, Vytron)

Not voting (2): dimochka, Madge

11 players, 6 to lynch.

Deadline: Sunday, November 1st, 11:59 PM EST

Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Djehutynakht

Re: Draculafia! N1 - First Blood

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:29 pm UTC

Night 1 - First Blood

With the thick mist set over Castle Dracula, those inside began to wander around, dark shadows set against the silvery blur of the night. Each largely kept to themselves, checking around them in vain for any sound of the vampire approaching, for any telltale sign that he may soon be upon them. But as he did not come, soon it was realized that the only way to make any sort of progress was to play the Count's game, and to start attempting to hunt him down.

The fog even distorted voices. After a while you could distinguish one from another, but not which person that voice belonged to. Was it Van Helsing? Was it Quincey Morris? Was it even...Dracula, pretending to be one of your own? After a while each player saw that there were 11 shadows in the room, and that was definitely more than the party who had come to track down Dracula. Who was able to be trusted, and who was not? Alas, you could only try and guess.

The discussion quickly turned to two shadows in particular. There was much fierce discussion, much back and forth. On the brink of being selected for death, each claimed an identity. Whether they were telling the truth or not is unknown, but nonetheless, the discussion turned away from them. After much debate, after much confusion and accusations, finally, it settled on one figure in particular. One who had been silent for much of the time, standing near what you thought was the foot of the stairs.

"No!" Conman said. "I am not the Vampire! I am but a man! A simple, simple, man!"

But nobody believed him. The other shadows slowly started to turn toward him. Four stepped forward.

"Wait!" Conman said. "You have no idea what you're doing! You can't! You can't!"

But even as he said so, a wooden stake poked through the darkness, prodding him in the chest, its owner feeling for the right place to strike.

"Maybe we are wrong," came a voice through the darkness. "But we must".

And with that, it was all over.

The 11th shadow crumped to the ground, You could see now the dark shape of a long, wooden stake protruding up from the huddled mess. You could feel a trickle of something sticky spread across the floor.

With the smell of blood in the air, you have nothing left to do, except to wait and see what might come for you.

ConMan is dead.
It is now Night 1.
Night 1 is tentatively scheduled to end by Tuesday, 11:59 PM EST. An extension may be granted if needed.

All night actions should be submitted, carried out, etc. etc.

Djehutynakht

Re: Draculafia! D2 - The Undead Dead

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:42 am UTC

Day 2 - The Undead Dead

An eerie voice rang out into the night, shortly after ConMan crumpled to the floor.

"Ah yes," the voice said. "The smell of fresh blood! Isn't it marvelous! How I do cherish that crimson liquid! What a pity that it must be spilled over the floor. But no matter. Plenty of it still remains. You have made your choice, now I shall make mine!"

The voice of Dracula was unmistakable. In unison a chorus of wolves' howls rang out from all around the castle. A strong wing picked up, and a cloud moved to obscure the moon, making this mist-filled castle even darker than it was before. You hear the flutter of wings and, suddenly, shadows are scrambling in every direction, eager to take cover.

The many shadows of the night then proceeded to make their way around the castle, finding their path as best they could, careful not to fall off any precipice or into a decaying hole. Some doors did not open at all, but even without those locked rooms you can tell the place is huge. How strong a fortress, how great a palace, it must once have been! But alas now even the very building seems to be undead, as if the structure stands only due to the very curse keeping its master walking upon this Earth.

Time is odd in this castle. You never seem to know how much of it seems to pass. It must matter not for the place's inhabitant; to a vampire, a year may seem to pass as quickly as a day, and a day like no time at all. Nor can you seem to make any heads or tails of how to get around the place. But soon, after some unknown amount of time, you see at the end of the corridor a room lighter than any you've seen before. You hurry forward.

It is the main hall once more. As the shadows move in, they see that all of the others are beginning to trickle back into the room as well. The cloud that had before covered the moon has drifted away, leading to a beam of moonlight shining in through one of the great broken windows, illuminating the mist a murky whiteness.

And, suddenly, the mist at the end of this beam of moonlight begins to dissipate. There, in the pool of light, lay the crumpled body of your group's first decision; Conman.

As the mist draws back, you finally see the detail of this man. He's not one of your group.

With graying hair and unkempt clothes, the dead man has a look of surprise, and at the same time horror, on his face. A stake sticks out of his chest. With a sudden horror, you realize that he had not tried to press on the wound in an attempt to staunch the bleeding, as one might normally suspect. Instead, it seems from the blood covering his hands and the smear around his mouth that he had instead tried to consume his own blood, as if re-ingesting it would in some way keep him alive. With a glint of the moonlight, you see a knife by his side.

As you look at him, it suddenly becomes clear. Many of you had seen this man before.

"I don't believe it," one of the shadows exclaims. "It's Renfield! He must have escaped the asylum after we left to pursue Dracula! That poor, poor lunatic! The Count had him in his grasp the whole time. His presence simply exacerbated the man's madness, and he must have been feverish to follow him back here to learn the secrets of immortality.

Conman was Renfield, escaped lunatic and Serial Killer.

"By the looks of it," another shadow said, beckoning toward the knife. "Having him here would have been no help to us. I don't hold any grudges against lunatics, but it's probably a good thing he's been put out of the way. He may have been a real danger".

Suddenly, there comes a thud from the back of the room. The shadows turn around. There, in a dark corner, barely distinguishable, lay yet another dark mass upon the ground.

With great apprehension, the mass of shadowy figures in the mist slowly make their way over toward this new victim, afraid of what they'll find. Who might the Count have taken of his first victim? Which friend will have been the first to die? How could you possibly look.

Slowly, the mist draws back. At first, the shadows squint to make out the scene before them. And then there are gasps of surprise. And then a shout of triumph.

Before you, on the flood, lay Dracula. Dead. The Angel of Darkness having caught up with Undead Lord, after centuries of being kept at bay. But by whose hand?

The body on the ground, a stake projecting from the chest and the head severed roughly, but completely, from the body. His face is strange. Instead of a look of surprise, or agony, you see a faint smile. The monster which had preyed upon your group, sought its death, looked so horrible with fangs bared, eyes bloodshot, and a look of fury befitting the devil, now, in death, appeared to be at peace. As if his mortal death had finally freed him from a terrible curse.

And then, suddenly, before your very eyes, the body began to grow older, and to decay. The centuries which previously had been kept at bay by the unnatural curse of the Undead were now coming back to the body. The face sunk and wrinkled, the hair whitened. The hands gnarled. The body grew older than it looked a human had ever grown. And then the corpse started to fall apart. The flesh turned to dust, falling to the floor and leaving only bones behind. And then the bones too, crumbled, leaving behind of the great count and fearsome monster nothing but a patch of dust that soon would become indistinguishable from that which covered the rest of his former abode.

SDK is Dead. He was Count Dracula, Leader of the Undead.

Suddenly, when this revelation had sunk in, and the body had become no more, there were suddenly great shouts. Yells. Tears of joy. Victory! Triumph! The monster which you had come to kill, the vicious predator who sought to kill those you love, dead! Dead!

"He's dead! He's dead!"

"It's finally over! All over!

"We've won! We've got him!"

"VAIT!"

The cheers, and even the sobs of joy, died down.

"What is it Doc? Dracula's dead! We've won!"

"The mist! The mist! The fog? Do you not see? It still surrounds us!"

"Yeah, I see that. But what does it matter?"

"I am to think it means that there is something here. We are not yet done".

And with that, the joy of victory that had permeated the group was now tainted by the harsh reality that those words were right. Their work was not yet over. There were still threats which remained. With a firm determination to finish the job, the living returned to their deliberations, wary of what might still lurk amongst them.

It is now Day 2.

Day 2 will tentatively end on Tuesday, November 10 at 11:59 PM EST

9 players alive, 5 to hammer.

Return to “Mafia”