Draculafia! N3 - Nosferatu - GAME OVER - LIVING VICTORY

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Vytron » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:14 am UTC

It's this:

1. Some elements in this game may or may not be considered by some to be Bastard. I'm not intentionally trying to mess with everyone's heads, but fair warning. There is a possibility that roles or win conditions may change for certain individuals depending on game events. Maybe the only change will be that from alive to dead. Who knows?


Why would DJ put there at all, if it wasn't necessary? So it sounds like we may have recruiting scum. Or soft-cult or whatever.

With that in there, it's either a game where we try to get them and there's no night kills, or a game where there's multiple scum factions (or... a game with a faction that can kill+cult? :shock: )

So I believe the higher chances are of there being multiple scum factions.

I am pretty confident there are multiple kills, though I'm not sure if it's maf/vig or maf/sk or multiple methods of the mafia performing the kill (e.g. killing outright vs turning into vampire).


Okay, so why are you so confident?

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:34 am UTC

The wording of my role PM, like I said. Nothing crazy.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:51 am UTC

Any update on our lurkers? In particular, username has been posting elsewhere on the forum.
Assuming we get replacements, I'd probably like an extension.

Madge's responses seem ok to me, although I disagree with the conclusion. I doubt somehow that there are multiple night kills from the same scum faction. That would be too horrible to contemplate. Personally, I believe it more likely that we have a vig and not a second scum faction.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Suzaku
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Suzaku » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:57 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Any update on our lurkers? In particular, username has been posting elsewhere on the forum.
Assuming we get replacements, I'd probably like an extension.

Prods have been issued with no response. Open request for replacements has been made.
An extension will likely be granted if anyone steps up.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

User avatar
Suzaku
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Suzaku » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:50 pm UTC

Effective immediately, Misnomer replaces coldblood11.

Thank you for stepping up, Misnomer.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

User avatar
Misnomer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Misnomer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:13 pm UTC

'sup folks :)

Agree with Vytron that dj's soft-bastardry disclaimer points to recruitment of some sort, which would definitely fit in well with a vampiric flavour. Some sort of passive/delayed recruitment might also be an option. Going to speculate that there's no traditional resurrection roles however given the absence of any 'don't read spoilers straight after death' warning.

SDK - your list intrigues me. Removing yourself from the list for a second, if you had to kill any two players out of freezeblade, mpolo, moody & Vytron (or suffer being killed yourself), who would it be and why?
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby SDK » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:19 pm UTC

Madge wrote:There's nothing concrete that makes me think there's multiple factions, other than I just get the 'feeling' from the way things are worded. I could well be wrong. No ideas on the flavour justification for multiple factions, either.

I am pretty confident there are multiple kills...

These two paragraphs don't really jive, Madge.

You also didn't answer my question about exclamation marks.


PS: Welcome to the game, Misnomer.

pedit: Kill people from my list of townies!? Uh... that's pretty easy, actually. moody and Vytron. I can read the other two much more reliably.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby mpolo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:25 pm UTC

So, I've been a bit busy today. I want to get at least a couple of quick comments in while I have a couple of minutes.

Madge seems now to be referring to something specific about her own role (though there is a generic point that could also fit the bill, just less likely), and I'm kind of afraid to start trying to pick that apart, for fear of giving information away to scum. My reading of the flavor is that we are likely to have a mafia that can kill or recruit, but I can't really exclude interpretations of flavor that bring us to multiple scum factions. I could also see a vig with a character like Quincey Morris (or possibly even Jonathan Harker, if he thought Mina was in danger).
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
Misnomer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Misnomer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:22 pm UTC

Vote: mpolo

I'm taking a 'vote early, vote often' approach here, and the tone of mpolo's last post pinged me a little.

mpolo - if you were suddenly granted an immediate-use power to make another player lynch-and-kill immune until D2, who would you use it on and why?

SDK wrote:PS: Welcome to the game, Misnomer.

pedit: Kill people from my list of townies!? Uh... that's pretty easy, actually. moody and Vytron. I can read the other two much more reliably.
Heh, well nobody can say my opening questions aren't original ;)

But following on from that though, what was it that led you to include moody and Vytron in your townie list, if you find them difficult to read?
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby mpolo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:31 pm UTC

Misnomer wrote:I'm taking a 'vote early, vote often' approach here, and the tone of mpolo's last post pinged me a little.

mpolo - if you were suddenly granted an immediate-use power to make another player lynch-and-kill immune until D2, who would you use it on and why?


I assume I can't pick myself… I guess I'd go with SDK at the moment, but that is more hunch than anything else. I think that SDK tends to be more active and off-the-wall when playing town, and the wild hunch of "here is the whole town" kind of fits into that vibe.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby SDK » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:25 pm UTC

Misnomer wrote:But following on from that though, what was it that led you to include moody and Vytron in your townie list, if you find them difficult to read?

Vytron's post actually felt very townie to me, particularly the speculation that we have multiple scum factions (at least, the way he went about wording that). On second thought, and giving Vytron's other posts a better read, I think I'd kill freezeblade over him if I had to. Vytron is tough to read because he does crazy things whether he's town or scum. That's caused me to read him wrong before (see the latest Once Upon A Mafia where I got a quick town read on him which was later overshadowed by scumminess), but that's not going to stop me from calling it as I see it at the time.

moody is hard for me because he's shown a couple times now that he's very good at avoiding my scumdar. Reading his one post at the time felt fine, so I give him his 75% chance and call him town. I'm happy enough to do that with players like him for Day 1 and even 2 so long as I don't see anything concerning.

All this boils down to why I gave the list in the first place though. I'm not at all convinced that those players I listed are actually town, but it's a decent starting point with the intent of getting the people on the list to ask me why and the people off the list to ask if I think they're actually scum.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:38 pm UTC

EDIT: Totally edited this post instead of quoting it to modify it. Genius.

Please take into account that this post was altered post facto by mistake.

Main recap: Coldblood replaced by Misnomer and Username replaced by Dimochka. New Deadline (see below) and the Votals to date you can do in your head.

Thanks!

Announcement:

Bessie is replacing SirGabriel at the latter's request.

This is effective immediately.

(The current vote for SirGabriel shall, accordingly, be switched to a vote for Bessie).


Votals:

Madge - 1 (moody7277)
Mpolo - 1 (Misnomer)
Bessie - 1 (Jimbobmacdoodle)

Not voting (8): Bessie, ConMan, Madge, mpolo, Vytron, Dimochka, freezeblade, SDK.

11 players, 6 to lynch.

Deadline: Thursday, October 29, 11:59 PM EST
[/quote]
Last edited by Djehutynakht on Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:46 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby SDK » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:01 pm UTC

Unvote.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:04 pm UTC

I've just edited the above post to make it easier for myself and reflect SDK's unvote-- and also because I forgot to change "coldblood" to "Misnomer".

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby moody7277 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:08 pm UTC

Well, I guess I should take being inscrutable to SDK as a compliment, but it seems the wages of inscrutability are death. Glad that's just a hypothetical.

Based on the flavor alone, having Dracula start by himself (or maybe with Renfield) is possible, with some manner of recruit or kill (probably not both on the same night). Maybe a hypnotic stare to serve as a roleblock?

Madge wrote:OK I have finally had a chance to read the flavour (which is what I was looking forward to most!).


I would subscribe to a DJ-run game solely based off his flavor writing ability.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby ConMan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:41 pm UTC

Hey there, Misnomer and dimochka! Thanks for stepping up to the plate.

Ok, so recruitment of some kind is a possibility. That's never a good sign. Of course, if Dracula is a recruiter then there would need to be some significant balancing factor - either a mechanic that prevents him from recruiting every night or else a couple of roles that can help weed out the recruits (I say a couple because if you only have one role to balance something then there's always the risk that that role is the first person lynched). So ... anti-culting doctor (van Helsing possibly, armed with garlic and holy relics)? Vig and/or SK?

Also, if Dracula is a recruiter then he's probably going solo for the moment, for similar reasons (because if he and Renfield/a thrall are a team now, then unless we strike gold in the first two days then he's pretty much won it).

On the other hand, if Dracula is a plain old killer (albeit presumably one with a few fancy side powers) then it would make sense for him to have company, and it's just a question of where the potential bastardry might come from.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby freezeblade » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:50 pm UTC

What about the wolves mentioned in the flavor, do you think that was purely flavor? or could that be a factor here "keeping us in the house"
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:47 pm UTC

I've just done a post-by-post analysis of each player. I'm not happy with either SirGabriel, ConMan or Freezeblade, with 2, 2 and 3 posts respectively, none of which have really anything useful about the, apart from some very light setup speculation (I'm letting dimochka off since he's only just replaced in). I'm reasonably happy with everyone else's posting so far, so I'm going to:

Vote: Sir Gabriel

for now. Please post more analysis of people (that goes for all three players).

@Freezeblade - if the wolves are anything more than flavour, I suspect that Dracula has some sort of power that he can use for them, maybe just his kill (possibly untrackable/unwatchable?).

Spoiler contains post list, very little analysis
Spoiler:
Vytron
beer/wine post - claims power role town, bet 2 scum factions
SDK list of townies looked random
Rule suggests possibility of recruitment, not sure how though, higher chance of multiple scum factions, why Madge confident?

SirGabriel
random vote on me ("new guy")
People trying to be more serious, not a lot to talk about apart from Vytron's wine

Misnomer
Agrees with Vytron on recruiting scum, passive/delayed recruitment possible, speculate no traditional resurrection due to missing no read spoiler rule, SDK list intriguing, which two from list to kill + why?
Vote early, vote often (votes mpolo - post pinging), mpolo - who would protect, why? SDK - why include moody and vytron if hard to read?

SDK
vote on me ("for being scum")
"not so subtly claim doctor" (reference to previous Halloween game)
Setup speculation, 7 townies, list of possible townies (a little random?), joke(?) vote on coldblood
"Maybe" for missing ConMan, points out I missed SirGabriel
"No follow up?"
"I don't volunteer information"
"Please explain why", "Am I town" questions to me (probably digging for a reaction)
Explains some strategy, Madge lots of exclamation marks, "Was that for my benefit?", list of townies was 100% serious
Madge's comments don't jive well, didn't answer question about exclamation marks, would kill moody and vytron if forced to from list, others easier to read
Vytron claim post seemed townie, especially multiple scum faction spec, would prefer to kill freezeblade above vytron, tough to read, moody hard to pick out on scumdar, admits not convinced of townieness of people on list, was for discussion

Madge
just found thread, proper reply in 2 days
possibly multiple undead factions, knows people living or undead
accepts living/undead fact unhelpful, get's feeling of multiple undead faction from way things are worded, no ideas on flavour justification for multiple factions, confident of multiple kills, unsure as to type, nothing seems to indicate can turn into vampires (and nothing indicates not either), Vytron being usual self, nulltell, SDK being SDK, town list is a bit rich
Confidence from PM wording

mpolo
flavour discussion post, some setup discussion
Dracula probably immune to lots of stuff at night, assorted transformation powers, stength etc, alone too easy, could be cooperating with gypsies
Suspects all got info on living/undead, uncomfortable discussing role PMs
Unwilling to pick Madge comments apart (specific to her role), flavour suggests mafia with kill or recruit, can't rule out multiple scum, vig also possible
would protect SDK on hunch, feels a bit townie

ConMan
Vytron claim annoying, agrees two scum factions possible, unsure as to flavour, maybe other scum from gothic horror, Dracula unlikely able to recruit/town role to block recruit
Recruiting possible, with balancing factors, if recruiting, probably is solo, where does bastardry come from if Dracula killer?

Freezeblade
random vote on SDK
not taking any votes seriously so far, more discussion needed, flavour-blind
what about the wolves - flavour or concrete?

moody7277
brief analysis of early votes
@SirG - justify or revote
suggests discussion topics
Proposes strategic reasons for SDK townie list, independents got you numbered(?), list looks like frequent posters, setup splits seem reasonable
Votes Madge for PM gambit with obvious statement
Having Dracula alone possible, with possible partner, with recruit or kill, hypnotic gaze for roleblock

dimochka
<no posts yet>
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:56 pm UTC

SDK wrote:
Madge wrote:There's nothing concrete that makes me think there's multiple factions, other than I just get the 'feeling' from the way things are worded. I could well be wrong. No ideas on the flavour justification for multiple factions, either.

I am pretty confident there are multiple kills...

These two paragraphs don't really jive, Madge.

You also didn't answer my question about exclamation marks.


Exclamation marks: ... I use exclamation marks a lot in casual posts? No meaning was meant.

I think if there's one scum faction they could have two ways of performing the kill (e.g. a 'normal' kill, or "killing" someone by turning them into a vampire). I have nothing to base that on and no reason to assume that we have any sort of culting mechanic based on my role PM or anything, but I agree from flavour and rules it's likely.

Thanks for joining us, Misnomer, Dim!
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
dimochka
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm UTC
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby dimochka » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:32 pm UTC

Hi everyone. I'm somewhat flavor blind, although I did watch the NBC TV series that aired last year.

Based on DJ's last game, I would expect either 7/3/1 with all 7 being pretty strong power roles, or something like 8/2/1 (probably more likely). Another option is Dracula being truly on his own, but being somehow un-killable on D1? Since Dracula is a vampire, I would think a cult is very likely, and potentially with the possibility of passing on the recruiting power. However, that would mean that we would need town night killing powers or more than one anti-town faction. And yes I would expect more than one faction in this game. Based on the flavor, the wolves were not going to attack the protagonists, so I don't think that wolves are who we're dealing with as the other anti-town.

Jack Seward could be a doctor, but he could also be a listener (records conversations), a watcher (same reason) or a roleblocker (somehow stopping a vampire from attacking by "treating" them that night).
There may be some types of masons (Van Helsing and Seward as teacher/student, or Seward/Morris/Holmwood as best friends).

Anyways enough rolespeccing. ConMan's last post does not sit well with me. ConMan - Are you saying that we have a kill and a cult, and therefore we would have a doctor and a de-culter? Also strange that you're surprised about recruitment being a possibility with the "Bastardry" rules being pointed out early on and other people discussing it.

Also Madge seems to know a lot more about the factions than I do, but seems Mpolo does too so I'll let it be for now. Madge - why are you pretty confident that there are multiple kills?

If I had to guess I'd say that Vytron is town.

More later.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

User avatar
SirGabriel
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby SirGabriel » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:08 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I've just done a post-by-post analysis of each player. I'm not happy with either SirGabriel, ConMan or Freezeblade, with 2, 2 and 3 posts respectively, none of which have really anything useful about the, apart from some very light setup speculation (I'm letting dimochka off since he's only just replaced in). I'm reasonably happy with everyone else's posting so far, so I'm going to:

Vote: Sir Gabriel

for now. Please post more analysis of people (that goes for all three players).

I apologize for that, the semester's starting to get busy so I don't really have time for three mafia games. I've already PMed DJ asking for a replacement.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Madge » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:05 am UTC

dimochka wrote:Madge - why are you pretty confident that there are multiple kills?


Because of my role PM, and I won't say more on the subject. I'm not even confident the multiple kills are non-town, we could well have a town-aligned kill. We'll probably know better come tomorrow morning in any case.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:46 am UTC

Announcement:

Bessie is replacing SirGabriel at the latter's request.

This is effective immediately.

(The current vote for SirGabriel shall, accordingly, be switched to a vote for Bessie

Also, I have updated the player list on the first post to reflect accordingly).


Votals:

Madge - 1 (moody7277)
Mpolo - 1 (Misnomer)
Bessie - 1 (Jimbobmacdoodle)

Not voting (8): Bessie, ConMan, Madge, mpolo, Vytron, Dimochka, freezeblade, SDK.

11 players, 6 to lynch.

Deadline: Thursday, October 29, 11:59 PM EST

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby bessie » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:23 am UTC

I'm here! I'm reading the thread and watching the movie now because it's been a while (I don't know if I will have time to read the book). I hope to have a contribution in a few hours.

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1690
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby ConMan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:39 am UTC

dimochka wrote:Anyways enough rolespeccing. ConMan's last post does not sit well with me. ConMan - Are you saying that we have a kill and a cult, and therefore we would have a doctor and a de-culter? Also strange that you're surprised about recruitment being a possibility with the "Bastardry" rules being pointed out early on and other people discussing it.

Not really. The fact, as has been pointed out, is that we can't rule out some kind of recruitment ability. And if that's the case, then there needs to be a factor to balance it, because even if we were 10 vanilla town against 1 cultist then we have to successfully identify and lynch the scum before they have a chance to recruit more than about a third of the town or we're pretty much hosed. I was speculating about possible balancing options - and the problem about any of those balancers being held by a single role is that if *they* are lynched or recruited, then their ability is lost to town and the game is unbalanced again. The biggest issue is that you need a semi-reliable means of reducing the average recruits-per-day to something close to zero - so a nightkill helps as it has a chance of hitting a recruit, a de-cult is also an option, and a third option is a mechanical restriction on the recruit (can only recruit characters with X property, can only recruit if trigger Y occurs, etc). A PGO might be another, but it reduces the recruits-per-day *below* zero after it hits, so it might be a bit too much.

So, in other words, recruitment does not completely surprise me. Recruitment without some means of preventing it from running riot would be rather surprising. And if Dracula *isn't* a recruiter, then we have the unenviable task of working out what the hell the bastardry in the game might actually be.

Ramblings on recruits-per-day:
Spoiler:
So the point is that if, on average, the cult can grow faster than it gets shrunk, then they'll tend to over-run the game. But if the cult shrinks faster than it can grow - in the most extreme case, losing its recruitment ability entirely - then they have very little chance of surviving. Hence, for balance purposes, you want to remove one member of the cult on average for each member it gains, although that value is definitely allowed to vary and if the cult starts small enough then it's probably ok for it to grow slightly more than it shrinks.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:34 am UTC

Unvote
Seems unfair to leave that vote on with a replacement. As he hasn't posted since my last post:
Vote freezeblade
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby bessie » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:20 pm UTC

I’m still catching up. Here are some brief first impressions.

I’m not very good at setup speculation but my guess is 2-1-8, or maybe 1-1-9 because I think that the flavor makes a recruiting role possible, and game specific rule #1 says that win conditions may change. But with eleven players it is probably very limited: one shot recruit, recruit or NK each night but not both, the first recruit dies if another is recruited, etc. There is no rule against the dead reading spoilers, so it doesn’t look like we have a resurrection role.

I see Vytron has already claimed a power role. I think that this may be a power role heavy game so I don’t see Vytron’s claim as more than a town claim right now.

Madge’s second post bothers me. Why do you think there are multiple undead factions? Oh, she already answered that question. Wait, no she didn’t.
Madge wrote:There's nothing concrete that makes me think there's multiple factions, other than I just get the 'feeling' from the way things are worded. I could well be wrong. No ideas on the flavour justification for multiple factions, either.

Madge, why do you think there are multiple undead factions?

I’m out of time. I’ll start on page 2 tonight when I get home from work.

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby mpolo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:00 pm UTC

A further flavor speculation — the good guys managed to put off Lucy's and Mina's transformations into vampires by giving them repeated blood transfusions. That might mean that a doctor of some sort can prevent a recruit from "taking". Or Dracula has to visit the same person multiple times to recruit, though with 11 people, there aren't a lot of days for him to be wasting on that.

bessie's first post seems reasonable.

Con Man's comment about the cult is correct -- if there is one, we have to get it quickly. It might well be the case that only Dracula can recruit.

Madge is hinting all over the place on her role PM, which I don't like in principle, but am tending to think it makes her look somewhat townie in this case.

More tomorrow — I put this off too late today.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Vytron » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:27 pm UTC

Welcome to the many replacements.

Nothing scummy has jumped up at me, so I can basically disagree in general with all the people voting someone, though it's fine to have a vote in your highest suspicion.

I've been trying to catch people that seem to know I'm town/not from their faction, but haven't found anything yet.

Misnomer wrote:Vote: mpolo

I'm taking a 'vote early, vote often' approach here, and the tone of mpolo's last post pinged me a little.


Can you elaborate, or is this purely a gut-feeling?

User avatar
Misnomer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Misnomer » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:45 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:
Misnomer wrote:Vote: mpolo

I'm taking a 'vote early, vote often' approach here, and the tone of mpolo's last post pinged me a little.


Can you elaborate, or is this purely a gut-feeling?
Primarily gut, but I'll try to explain to the extent that I can. The section of mpolo's post that bothered me was this one:
mpolo wrote:Madge seems now to be referring to something specific about her own role (though there is a generic point that could also fit the bill, just less likely), and I'm kind of afraid to start trying to pick that apart, for fear of giving information away to scum.
There are several ways this sentence can be read.

The first is the 'innocent' one - mpolo's words reflect his genuine thoughts and can be read at face value.

The second is the 'have I mentioned I'm townie today?' one - scum!mpolo uses his post to draw attention to something bad that could happen to town, and then point out he hasn't done said bad thing: i.e. if we question Madge she might let slip something that will hurt town. Therefore look at me not questioning Madge.

The third is the 'content without content' reading - let's say scum!mpolo knows he needs to post something content-wise, possibly even something about Madge (which could link to option four, below). Read uncharitably, mpolo's sentence is an excuse for him not posting content, rather than actual content.

Option four is the 'leave Madge alone!' scenario - let's say we have scum!mpolo and scum!Madge, and that Madge has managed to dig a hole for herself in terms of her faction comments. The purpose of mpolo's sentence is to steer town away from questioning Madge further.

Related to this is option 5 - the 'stop talking about Madge's ideas' one - as above, scum!mpolo is trying to change the subject, but this is because the content of Madge's posts poses a risk to scum, rather than because scum!Madge is putting herself in danger.

Then we have option 6, the 'Guys we need to make sure scum don't realise Madge is power town!' reading - scum!mpolo in this situation has limited communication abilities with other scum members (whether due to night chat only or due to secret ally dynamics etc.). The purpose of his post was draw his fellow scum's attention to the role implications of Madge's post, possibly with the aim of pushing a lynch.

Finally there's option 7, which is any combination of options 2-6 coexisting.


Is there any evidence for any of these? At this point, not really. But I could not help but think about them when I read mpolo's post, and the sense that it all might not be as it seems has only got greater with time.

So yeah, tl;dr - gut feeling, but a thought-through gut feeling :P
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Vytron » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:53 pm UTC

Okay, nice, I didn't see anything at first, but I'd definitively support a mpolo lynch if nothing better comes out.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Madge » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:15 am UTC

Bessie - my answer to the question of multiple undead factions is, "I just think there is, OK?", I'm not elaborating more because I don't want to give scum more information. I could well be wrong. Like I said, I do not have any concrete reason for thinking this.

Sentences like mpolo's one that misnomer is taking issue with are a dime a dozen; that doesn't mean they're not scummy.

At the moment I'm a bit concerned about Bessie for pressing me on the undead faction thing, but that's pretty OMGUS of me, isn't it?
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:01 am UTC

Reminder: Deadline is in 2 days. The Votals are tied.

If the Votals remain tied at deadline we will extend through Sunday Evening.

Votals:

Madge - 1 (moody7277)
Mpolo - 1 (Misnomer)
Freezeblade - 1 (Jimbobmacdoodle)

Not voting (8): Bessie, ConMan, Madge, mpolo, Vytron, Dimochka, freezeblade, SDK.

11 players, 6 to lynch.

Deadline: Thursday, October 29, 11:59 PM EST

User avatar
bessie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:27 am UTC
Location: California

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby bessie » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:07 am UTC

Madge wrote:Bessie - my answer to the question of multiple undead factions is, "I just think there is, OK?", I'm not elaborating more because I don't want to give scum more information. I could well be wrong. Like I said, I do not have any concrete reason for thinking this.

Madge, I think you’re being overly defensive here. And I don’t like your reason that you won’t discuss it is because it will give scum information. That may be true, but it’s also a convenient argument for scum to use. After all, you’re the one that brought it up. In Madge’s second post, she pulls the “role PM gambit” (pointed out by moody and mpolo). When questioned about her speculation on multiple kills, she explains it’s a feeling and doesn’t explain further, falling back on the excuse that it’s part of her role PM.
Madge wrote:(This multiple kill implication of my PM is part of how I get the 'feeling' of multiple enemy factions)

Madge wrote:The wording of my role PM, like I said. Nothing crazy.

Madge wrote:I think if there's one scum faction they could have two ways of performing the kill (e.g. a 'normal' kill, or "killing" someone by turning them into a vampire). I have nothing to base that on and no reason to assume that we have any sort of culting mechanic based on my role PM or anything, but I agree from flavour and rules it's likely.

Madge wrote:Because of my role PM, and I won't say more on the subject.

It looks to me like Madge is using her role PM to defer answering questions because it lets her appear to want to be helpful but is unable to comply without breaking the rules (she explicitly mentions her role PM in 4/7 of her posts). And it’s a convenient roadblock that stops us from pursuing a line of questioning because we would be breaking the rules too.

I didn’t have time to make a full analysis list (hopefully tomorrow), but this stands out to me.
freezeblade wrote:we Really need to get some talking going on this game though.

And freezeblade’s entire content following that remark consists of three short sentences.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:09 am UTC

bessie wrote:
freezeblade wrote:we Really need to get some talking going on this game though.

And freezeblade’s entire content following that remark consists of three short sentences.

This is why I am voting freezeblade. If I am not mistaken, based on previous games, scum!freezeblade meta is to tend to be quite lurky. If he starts posting some decent analysis, I might be willing to drop this vote, but until then, he's my preferred lynch candidate. Based on what others are pointing out, I'm feeling less comfortable with Madge as well. I haven't really read the analysis of mpolo yet, who seems to be the other one under scrutiny. I must admit, that I didn't find his posts worrying on the surface of it though.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby Vytron » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:27 am UTC

Um, okay, if it's between those three then I think FB is looking the worst.

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby moody7277 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:24 pm UTC

bessie -- some role spec, followed by analysis of Madge's PM stuff. I knew that my initial impression of Madge's attempt was bad (ergo the vote), but bessie's compilation reveals the scope of it. bessie looks town

ConMan -- analysis on Vytron, some role spec including Dracula recuiting. neutral

dimochka -- some role spec, Vytron town. not quite enough data yet

freezeblade -- joke vote SDK, admits flavor blind

jimbobmacdoodle wrote: If I am not mistaken, based on previous games, scum!freezeblade meta is to tend to be quite lurky


That's partially the case. It's also that posts he does make tend to be circumferential. That means at this point I only have him at neutral to slightly scummy.

jimbob -- joke Vytron vote, reaction to SDK's "townie list" with some following discussion, reads list, SirG, ConMan, fb suspicious, votes SirG, switches vote to fb after SirG replaced. townie.

Madge -- some role spec, "multiple undead" guess based of PM. I've gotten a little antagonistic about this kind of play recently, but the fact that this is the only thing Madge is talking about is what makes her look scummy.

Misnomer -- question's SDK on "townie list", votes mpolo with a very detailed set of reasons about the post that pinged him. right now leaning towine, but will see with further posts

mpolo -- seems to be the only one with flavor knowledge which is displayed early. except for the part of the post that pinged Misnomer and his last post, has been nothing but flavor discussion. rather defensive of Madge. slightly scummy with the possibility of moving townie with more game related discussion.

SDK -- first post vote target jimbob, with some discussion with him that SDK seems satisfied with. looks a little suspicious of Madge. response to Misnomer about "townie list"

Vytron -- claims power role (standard beer), questions Madge on multiple faction statement and Misnomer on his feeling about mpolo's post. most suspicious of fb among currently voted for. townie

I like where my vote is currently, but would also consider fb depending on if and what he posts.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
dimochka
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 pm UTC
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby dimochka » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:39 pm UTC

I'll be free later today to analyze some more but I'd like to mention that Vytron's last two posts are very atypical of his usual posting. Very short and seem like he's avoiding saying something. So I take back my "townie" view of him.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

User avatar
freezeblade
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:11 pm UTC
Location: Oakland

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby freezeblade » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:26 pm UTC

Re: scum!freezeblade meta

if you're judging this off my last...I don't know, 8 games? (not counting the ongoing one that I can't talk about, even though I'm dead) I've been scum in all of these games, so there's really not much chance for you to see any "meta" that is not "scummy" As I haven't been town in a game for nearly a year (Except this one of course, where I'm town)
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Draculafia! D1 - A Masque of Fog

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:29 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Re: scum!freezeblade meta

if you're judging this off my last...I don't know, 8 games? (not counting the ongoing one that I can't talk about, even though I'm dead) I've been scum in all of these games, so there's really not much chance for you to see any "meta" that is not "scummy" As I haven't been town in a game for nearly a year (Except this one of course, where I'm town)

Then your meta is to be scum? :P

How about some analysis from you?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests