2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - Game Over

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Suzaku

Re: 2015 Secret Santa by Suzaku - Game Over

Postby Suzaku » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:19 pm UTC

As the day dawned following Echo244's lynch, the townsfolk (and one ghost) came together to see if they still had the chance to defeat the Mafia. Unfortunately, what they found did not give them much hope.

Echo244 was lynched. She was Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, a member of the Town.
Role Details:
Spoiler:
Player - freezeblade Echo244
Role Name - Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer
Role Description - You are Rudolph, leader of Santa's herd of reindeer. Others follow your advice, even when indirectly given.
Role Abilities - Once each day you may pm the moderator the names of 2 other players; any active powers they use will be redirected onto each other, instead of their original targets, until the start of the next day.

After recovering from the shock of finding they had lynched wrongly, the few remaining townies discovered another body, mpolo

mpolo was killed during the night. He was the Clumsy Watcher, a member of the Town.
Role Details:
Spoiler:
Player - mpolo
Role Name - Clumsy Watcher
Role Description - Just what it says on the tin.
Role Abilities - Once per day, you may PM the name of another player to the mod. At the start of the next day, you will be informed of all players who targeted that player during the night. However, there is a chance that the player targeting your target will be informed that you saw them.
Hidden Mechanics - random.org decides with a 25% chance if the watcher is seen by the visitor. This will be rolled independently for each visitor in case of multiple visitors.

After careful consideration of the remaining numbers, Lawrencelot turned to bessie and said, "We outnumber these guys if you don't count the ghost. Should we make them an offer they cannot refuse?"

The Mafia has won.
Congratulations to Madge, Lawrencelot, bessie, and emlightened.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:23 pm UTC

Can we see the role details for the rest of the players?

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:25 pm UTC

I feel I should offer an apology to all players for the missing of deadlines and general stuffing around.
Also, with hindsight, the game was probably somewhat unbalanced towards scum.

I hope you enjoyed the game, but will certainly understand if not.

As ever, any feedback will be appreciated.

Ninja: Yes - I'll put them up in a few minutes.
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:26 pm UTC

:(

Well, that godfather on emlightened really did us in. And I suspect she has the role I sent in, so I knew that there was a possible godfather…
Image <-- Evil experiment

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:29 pm UTC

That was fun. Thanks, Suzaku (and the rest of the players).

It was a shame that half of the mafia team were replacements; it didn't really give town much to go on.

@mpolo: probably, it said I was seen as scum at night and town as day. That's why you were killed just then.

I feel sad that I didn't get to actually use my role, as I sent in the nightkill for N1 and N2.
The Seven Wonders of the World:
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:32 pm UTC

EBWOP: You did; I saw it in the memorial thread.
The Seven Wonders of the World:
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:33 pm UTC

The remaining roles:

Snark:
Spoiler:
Player - Snark
Role Name - Reindeer Cop
Role Description - You, a local reindeer, have decided to try and figure out what the hell is going on around here.
Role Abilities - Once per day, you may PM the name of another player to the mod. At the start of the next day, you will be informed of that player's alignment, role name, and night action targets for that night.
Hidden Mechanics - Alignment cop and tracker are sane, role cop is insane.

bessie:
Spoiler:
Player - patzer Djehutynakht bessie
Role Name - Krampus
Role Description - Another Christmas season approaches, and you waken from your seasonally-affected slumber. Giving coal to the bad children is so...for the birds! "Bloody coca cola" you mutter under your breath, "popularizing my 'good' counterpart and plowing over my much more satisfying role in this season." Time to go through the list and find the bad children, to snatch up and take away, of course.
Role Abilities - Once per day, you may PM the name of a player on the list of those who did not vote (the naughty list), that player will be roleblocked (because you stole them) for the night, and will also be voteless the next day (as they try to escape). You may send multiple targets in order of preference to cover situations where your first choice of target voted after you submitted the action. Note that the player's lack of vote will be not be explicitly announced, but the changed number of votes required for a majority lynch will.

emlightened:
Spoiler:
Player - emlightened
Role Name - Creepy Mall Santa
Role Description - You are Creepy Mall Santa. You spend most of your day spreading joy to the young visitors of a large shopping center. Some have suggested, though, that your appearance out of costume is less than savory. As such, nighttime investigations of your alignment will always appear to be scum, while daytime investigations will always appear to be town. Utilizing the deep pockets of your corporate hosts, you have a few gifts that you can anonymously bestow on other players as a night action. Each gift may be used only once, and since you are not the real Santa, you may only distribute one gift in a single night. You are such a generous guy that you would never think of keeping one of these for yourself.
Role Abilities - Once per day you may select a player other than yourself to receive one of the following 'gifts':
1) Lava-lamp (TM) Christmas tree: The light from this gadget will discourage nighttime visitors if the receiver chooses to plug it in. (one-shot preventing all night actions against the user).
2) Official Dianetics (TM) Lie Detector: While a pretty dodgy polygraph device, this can be used as a day action to verify a single statement as true or false, provided it is in the most recent posting of that player at the time of applying the action. (No going back and checking statements from earlier in the day). After use, the device will cease functioning.
3) Cheap Polyester Santa Hat: Wearing this hat at night will cause all night investigations in a single night to give the result of town (or the role of Santa Claus). Due to the cheap polyester blend, it will not be fit to wear a second night.
4) Hardy Boys (TM) Junior Investigative Kit: This collection of fingerprinting and footprint-casting devices will come in very handy in determining who has been in a certain house. Before posting in the thread on a single day, you can send a PM to the mod to investigate a particular player. If anyone visited in the previous night, you will ascertain their identities. Unfortunately, the kit is not big enough to use more than once.
5) Dr. House (TM) Home Defibrillator Kit: You can choose to use this item on one player in the night. If the player dies for any reason in the night, this will prevent his death. Unfortunately, if the player doesn't die, the shock to the heart will kill him. Battery is good for only one charge.
The targeted player will receive the item at the start of the following day.

jimbobmacdoodle:
Spoiler:
Player - jimbobmacdoodle
Role Name - Plate of Christmas Cookies
Role Description - You are a Plate of Christmas Cookies. You are left out for Santa to eat after he has given all the good boys and girls their well deserved Christmas presents. You stand watch all night for the big man and see all that goes on around the Christmas Tree. Merry Christmas!
Role Abilities - Once per day, you may submit an action type to the mod by PM. This should be one of 'kill', 'investigate', 'block', 'protect', or 'other'. At the start of the next day, you will be informed how many actions of that type were attempted, and how many succeeded, during the night.

Lawrencelot:
Spoiler:
Player - Vytron Lawrencelot
Role Name - Two-Face
Role Description - You are Two-Face. You are angry at Batman for choosing to save your life instead of the life of the woman you love, and so you no longer trust any man to make the right decision, but only blind chance.
Role Abilities - Any actions which target you (not including the lynch) have a 50% chance of failing, and any factional abilities you use (other than chat) also have a 50% chance of failing.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:38 pm UTC

emlightened wrote:It was a shame that half of the mafia team were replacements; it didn't really give town much to go on.

Honestly, I thought we might have to abandon the game at the beginning of D1.

But I definitely let the lurkers get away with too much on D2, despite it being holidays.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:47 pm UTC

Congratulations to scum!
Town got pretty unlucky with all our investigations being useless and Misnomer's 20% chance killing off crucialityfactor, but replacement scum played a very good game (not receiving a single vote on D3 is amazing). Also the 3 complete lurkers on D2 did not help either. I believe that D2 should not have been allowed to end without either actual input from those people or mod-killing them. I considered pushing for extension/mod-kill but as a newbie on these forums I didn't feel that it was my place to do so.

Lessons learned:
- being too towny gets you killed :)
- self-congratulating after a successful lynch is not a scum-tell. patzer did the same in Smalltown and she was Town as well. I would say that the negative connotations attached to it are so strong that scum will never do it, making it into a town-tell but this is so WIFOM territory that it's probably best to just ignore it.
- killing all lurkers is extremely important, but in cases like this where there's a significant number of them I should push for aggressive moderator action.
- actions speak louder than words. Voting analysis gave me correct reads on 4 people regardless of their other content.

PS: ConMan will run a game starting next week. Please consider signing up as we're a couple of players short.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:49 pm UTC

Also, I should point out that scum didn't have a guaranteed win yet at the time the game was called. Since tied votes are settled by random.org, if I had submitted a day vig present for jimbob and Suzaku had sent it and jimbob had used it all before hammer had been reached, town could still win.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:51 pm UTC

I signed back on just now and I'd like to apologize to everyone. The holiday was around, and I was going to be away for a few days, but there was somewhat of a family crisis that went down, which I just got home from Sunday, after 3 weeks away, Yesterday was catching up with 300+ emails from that time.

I can't help but think that some of town's undoing is my fault, and I'm sorry I was unable to get on, I feel pretty crappy about it.

Everything's hopefully solved now, and I'm out of the weeds (crossing fingers)

I submitted Krampus, for reference.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:57 pm UTC

@SirGabriel:

Suzaku wrote:4. If the votals are tied, then random.org will randomly select one of the tied players to be lynched, unless all players are voting solely for the tied players, in which case there will be no lynch.

Scum can force no lynch with equal numbers and Town probably won't receive any more vig kills, so eventually scum wins.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:00 pm UTC

Yay!

Although at the start I wasn't really enjoying this game, and holidays got in the way, I really enjoyed Day 3 and am glad I replaced into this game. So thanks for the game Suzaku, and yeah it was just bad luck that there were so many inactives.

I'd like to apologize for my inactivity. There were some points during the holidays where I could've been more active, but it was just too much effort for me to get into the game, even when there weren't that many pages. Next time I'll only replace if I'm sure I can handle it.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:08 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:@SirGabriel:

Suzaku wrote:4. If the votals are tied, then random.org will randomly select one of the tied players to be lynched, unless all players are voting solely for the tied players, in which case there will be no lynch.

Scum can force no lynch with equal numbers and Town probably won't receive any more vig kills, so eventually scum wins.

Oh, I missed that part. Thank you.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:16 pm UTC

Yeah, the inactivity made it really difficult - I was only really starting to get any kind of read on bessie and Lawrencelot when suddenly MASSIVE TIME PRESSURE and of the replacements, I was the one who got jumped on. Plus the whole day-cop-hitting-day-godfather, Snark getting nothing by way of results, bit of an unbalanced initial setup, everything went wrong for town, more or less. Pfah. Never mind.

No worries for those not being able to play - sometimes life gets complicated. Though I would like to offer some slightly self-congratulatory praise to those who replaced in, it would have been a shame to let modkills drive the result.

Would Play Again, possibly from the start, but nyuh, I quite like being available as a replacement to help games keep going. Good game, and thanks all, particularly Suzaku for running this.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:34 pm UTC

Arrrgghhh! Well played Mafia. At different times I think I had all 4 mafia as my top scum, voted for three of them and would have the fourth if we'd not potentially been at LYLO. Note to self: initial beliefs should hold far more weight. Just because somebody starts posting more after I suspect them does not instantly make them townie!

Thanks for the game Suzaku and everyone else.

Hopefully I'll do better next time I'm town and stick with my convictions (like I did D1 and helped get scum lynched). Maybe that'll mean I actually win a game (currently on 3 losses out of 3).
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:51 pm UTC

By the way: I think it might still have been possible for town to win but it would have required luck, a mistake from scum, and for SirGabriel to know who the remaining town were, so I definitely don't mind it ending when it did. It also ignores any mafia role abilities.

D4 - create and use a day vig before mafia all vote - 2 v 2
N4 - mafia kill someone - 1 v 2
D5 - create and use some sort of vote controller or lynch protection. Get the mafia with the kill lynched (only works if no back up killer was sent in). 1 v 1.
N5 - nothing because the killer was lynched. 1 v 1.
D6/N6 - create a redirector and use it to redirect the mafia kill onto themself. No lynch so mafia dies at night. Town win. Alternatively create a night vig and everybody then dies. Maybe an SK win?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:30 pm UTC

Good game everyone! Wish I could have played a bit more. Was annoyed to find out how many mafia members were basically non-existent for so long. But, alas, that's the breaks sometimes.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:54 pm UTC

Great fun! I submitted the paranoid poisoner because I think PGOs are always exciting to have around. I was glad to roll scum because it meant there was a player out there who was killing townies without me having to do anyhting - even after I was dead :D
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:59 am UTC

Apologies again for the personal problems that caused the requirement of 3 more replacements ( :shock: - that must be a record), but I'm glad Lawrencelot got the enjoy replacing in after all (I was worried when he was feeling detached from the game), and hope bessie had fun as well.

I sent the Game Breaker role and can only congratulate mafia for ass kicking!

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:19 pm UTC

Good game everyone! I'm a little disappointed that town lost since I was mostly trying to play as them while I was alive but oh well. Playing a serial killer was fun--I got some of the advantages of being scum (more control over the game, more knowledge than a townie, etc) and also the major advantages of being town (can genuinely scumhunt and don't have to worry about protecting other players). I guess the big disadvantage was that when I died I lost.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:50 pm UTC

Bah, well done scum. And thanks Suzaku for modding!

For those curious, the ghostly inventor was my idea. Who sent in my role, out of interest?
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:58 pm UTC

Misnomer wrote:Who sent in my role, out of interest?

It wasn't me, I sent in Two-Face.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:19 pm UTC

I submitted Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:22 pm UTC

I submitted a massively over-complex version of Minestrone's role, so not me.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:56 pm UTC

Edit: nevermind, misread something.

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:39 pm UTC

I sent in yours Misnomer.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:15 am UTC

Thank you Suzaku for modding and everyone for playing. I had a lot of fun, and I am disappointed I didn’t get to interact more with crucialityfactor, Sabrar, and Snark because I have never played with any of them before, and I think I will like playing with them in future games.

The game as it was played may have favored scum, but it may have been different if the alignments had been assigned differently. Madge’s role would have been more useful to town. My power was a great for scum but alas Krampus never used it. Lawrencelot figured out that mpolo sent in emlightened’s role and that mpolo knew there was a godfather in the game. Maybe next time have the mod write one role and discard one of the player submitted roles. Then no one knows for certain if the role they submitted is in the game. Lawrencelot and I didn’t submit roles so maybe very slight scum disadvantage there. But aside from the game balance, I think that unfortunately the D2 lurking may have been beneficial for scum because of town’s reluctance to lynch a lurker. Too bad emlightened didn’t get to use a power because she had to do the night kill N1 and N2. I knew I looked scummy for D1 and D2 lurking so I wasn’t worried about getting lynched, I was just trying to contribute what I could. In my previous experience the games usually stall a bit during the holiday season and everyone knows it happens.

Echo244 wrote:Would Play Again, possibly from the start, but nyuh, I quite like being available as a replacement to help games keep going.

And I for one really appreciate this, because I hate seeing games falter when no replacements are available. I recently stopped reading Gojoe spoilers so I could replace sometimes too (which was driving me crazy during Smalltown, I was thinking about that game way too much).

Good game played by everyone!

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:26 pm UTC

Snark wrote:I sent in yours Misnomer.

Ah, good to know! Was a good role - would have been fun if I'd investigated someone N1 only to then accidentally murder someone the following night!
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Return to “Mafia”