Ghost III Mafia - Game Over

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Madge

Ghost III Mafia - Game Over

Postby Madge » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:09 am UTC

Ghost III

This is a word game variant of mafia, where players have to guess a secret word or prevent a secret word from being guessed. Rules:

Spoiler:
I think of a secret word. This word is given to some players, but other players have to guess this secret word. Each player is given one of the following roles:
-Ghost: tries to guess the secret word. Knows who the other ghosts are.
-Villager: knows the secret word and tries to prevent the ghosts from guessing the secret word.
-Fool: thinks he's a villager, but receives a different word. If the ghosts guess the fool's word, the ghosts do not win. If there is more than 1 fool, they all receive the same fool's word. Sided with the villagers.

The secret word can be essentially anything, like water, earth, scared, tiger, Italy, kebab, you name it. The ghosts only receive the number of letters in the secret word.

Once players have received their role (in spoilered text), they have to give a short description of the secret word. Ghosts have to make something up. Ghosts can try to wait and read the other descriptions first before they think of a description of their own, or they can try to take a risk and give some general description right away, or they can try to pretend they are a fool. Villagers can try to give a very vague description, but not too vague since other villagers might think they are a ghost.

After each player has given a description of the secret word, players will discuss with each other who they think is a ghost. Like in mafia, players need to vote other players and can get one player lynched. A majority of votes will get someone lynched. If a villager or fool is lynched, a new round of discussion and voting starts immediately. Fools appear as villagers upon death. If a ghost is lynched, that player gets 24 hours to guess the secret word (they get only 1 guess). If the guess is correct, the ghosts win. Else, a new round of discussion and voting starts immediately. If all ghosts are lynched and they have not guessed the secret words, the villagers (and fools) win. If there is an equal number of villagers/fools and ghosts left, the ghosts win.

SETUP:
2x Villager
1x Fool
2x Ghost

(Note: in gojoe I made reference to thinking about putting power roles when they're not needed, but I resisted the temptation as there's no way at all to balance it; these roles are all completely vanilla as stated)

Moderator: Madge
Original Game Credit: Lawrencelot
Size: 7+ (4-6 also possible)
Speed: max 3 days per 'day' phase
Complexity: -
Setup: -

Players:
1. Lawrencelot
2. emlightened
3. adnapemit
4. Mathilda
5. moody7277
Last edited by Madge on Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:13 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Madge

Re: Ghost III Mafia - Hint Phase

Postby Madge » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:20 am UTC

I am now sending out peoples' role PMs. As in other games, they will be sent out over the next 24 hours in a random order, to avoid any meta-gaming based on the order the hints are posted.

When you post in this thread, please only post your hint and nothing else until everyone has posted and I officially say the day has begun and put up the flavour text.

Please note, your hint should be about the word itself, not about any meta-word properties; e.g. "rhymes with blue", "scores 17 points in scrabble", or "this word appears in the great gatsby" are all examples of unsuitable hints. If I think your hint is inappropriate with regards to this rule, I will re-roll the fool and villager word. If you have doubts please feel free to PM me your hint for approval, but I'm sure it will all be fine!
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:38 am UTC

I wanted to post my hint but something changed

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:40 am UTC

Newspaper.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:20 pm UTC

Gulliver.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:16 pm UTC

Loved.
The Seven Wonders of the World:
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

Mathilda

Postby Mathilda » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:04 am UTC

Only fools think that it's a waste of money.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:20 am UTC

It was November, 1983. NATO had just completed an exercise code named Able Archer; a simulated nuclear war with the Soviet Union. This intelligence, coupled with General Secretary Yuri Andropov’s general distrust of President Reagen, led them to only one conclusion - that NATO was preparing for a nuclear war. If that was going to happen, well, then, it would be the Soviet Union that would get the first strike!

That would wipe the smile off of their capitalist faces!

Of course, word of the nuclear warheads being launched quickly made its way to NATO headquarters. It was there that they called in the G.H.O.S.T. squad - America's most elite pair of anachronistic computer hackers. They were given all the resources they asked for - spared no expense - and using their elite hacking skill they cracked into the password hint database of the Soviet missile command.

It’s a system that was not designed by a competent computer programmer - no, this system was designed to make remembering the password easy. So often the Russian generals forgot the password for jamming the world-ending missiles they decided to let each general record a hint for the deflector code. However, they also kept the password for both the missile launch codes and for the door to the cafeteria on the same database, so the G.H.O.S.T. squad can’t trust that all the hints will be for the jammer codes - but they know most of them will be.

The last step for opening the database required each of them to submit their own jammer code hint, and, upon doing so, they got access to the full list! With a little bit of thought and no doubt some impressive social engineering, they should be able to find the jammer code and use it to deactivate the world-ending warheads.

However, they need to be careful - the staff who are using the chat client will report any users who are acting suspiciously to security, and enough reports will have a user booted from the system.

It is now Day One; soft deadline in just under 4 days. Once this deadline is reached, you may keep debating and voting until I log on and call an official end of the day and declare the day over, which should hopefully not take more than an hour.

For thematic purposes, to vote to kick someone from the channel, you are welcome to write

kick: playername

On a new line!

(I will accept normal votes though)

Finally, a warm welcome to Mathilda who is doing (her?) first mafia-style game on the xkcd forums! Please don't be afraid to post if you have any questions, I and everyone else are more than happy to help you out.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:19 pm UTC

Great flavour Madge!

I think it's best for town in this game to not discuss too much, as all info can be used by the Ghosts. Therefore:

Kick: emlightened

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:59 pm UTC

Right. That post seems full of bad ideas.

Firstly, your random vote. If you're town, then all the ghosts need to do is both post quick enough against me to win the entire game already, if I've read this right:
Madge wrote:After each player has given a description of the secret word, players will discuss with each other who they think is a ghost. Like in mafia, players need to vote other players and can get one player lynched. A majority of votes will get someone lynched. If a villager or fool is lynched, a new round of discussion and voting starts immediately. Fools appear as villagers upon death. If a ghost is lynched, that player gets 24 hours to guess the secret word (they get only 1 guess). If the guess is correct, the ghosts win. Else, a new round of discussion and voting starts immediately. If all ghosts are lynched and they have not guessed the secret words, the villagers (and fools) win. If there is an equal number of villagers/fools and ghosts left, the ghosts win.
This means that we're already at MYLO, (I'll check with Madge though, just to be sure.)

Madge, if we lynch a townie on D1, do the ghosts win?

In the case that you are a ghost, then your recommendation for players not to discuss the secret word, if followed, pretty much means that the players fumble around in the dark looking for a ghost, and if they follow your lead and settle on a townie, then the townie gets lynched, and the ghosts win. After all, how can you scumhunt without asking questions or investigating?

As much as I would vote for you, I don't want to be a hypocrite on this. Leave voting until we're sure of allignments.
FoS: lawrencelot
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

Madge

Re: Ghost III Mafia - Day 1 - Fire The Missiles!

Postby Madge » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:32 pm UTC

Yes, if a townie is kicked from the channel on D1, the ghosts will win

Current Votals:
Emlightened - 1 (Lawrencelot)

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:39 am UTC

This is not normal mafia. My vote is not random, and I won't discuss anything about it. I will just vote for whoever I think is ghost, and if all townies do this then only the fool needs to figure out who is town and who is ghost. Townies don't need to scumhunt if they play it right, only the fool does.

That being said, townies need to be careful not to vote for a fool, or the ghosts might pile up and win.

Unvote

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:02 am UTC

I agree that information discussed should be at a minimum. Although the fool needs to be able to recognize who is town so they don't vote incorrectly. But this has to be done without revealing the fool so the ghosts can't match the two correct hints.
[adnapemit|timepanda]

Mathilda

Postby Mathilda » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:30 am UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:Great flavour Madge!
I think it's best for town in this game to not discuss too much, as all info can be used by the Ghosts. Therefore:

I've never played word Mafia, only normal Mafia. But in terms of game mechanics, surely talking is town's only way of gaining information on which to act?

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:09 pm UTC

Well Ghosts won't vote for their own, and if the townies did their hint right they also won't vote for their own. So both townies and Ghosts want to convince the fool, but they don't know who is the fool. Townies don't want to give the Ghosts any more info about the word, so if they say "I think player A is townie and player B is ghost/fool" it gives the ghosts too much info. They should only focus on one person and try to figure out if they're Ghost or fool.

I think emlightened is Ghost or fool, probably Ghost since their hint is vaguer than all other hints. Does anyone think emlightened is town/fool? If not we should lynch her.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:33 pm UTC

adnapemit wrote:I agree that information discussed should be at a minimum. Although the fool needs to be able to recognize who is town so they don't vote incorrectly. But this has to be done without revealing the fool so the ghosts can't match the two correct hints.

I honestly can't see what strategy the fool could use for this without any conversation being used. How do any of us know if we are the fool or a townie? I'm not sure of your strategy, but it seems that you and lawrencelot agree on this, so I'll see where it takes us.
Lawrencelot wrote:Well Ghosts won't vote for their own, and if the townies did their hint right they also won't vote for their own. So both townies and Ghosts want to convince the fool, but they don't know who is the fool.
Thanks for the explanation.

I think emlightened is Ghost or fool, probably Ghost since their hint is vaguer than all other hints. Does anyone think emlightened is town/fool? If not we should lynch her.

My hint was vaguer because I thought your hint wasn't actually a hint, (that you were just alluding to some irl problem,) and I thought that the earlier hints should be vague, so that the ghosts can't pick up on them for their own hint as easily. I had already thought of the hint before moody posted (but didn't change it), and thought that it was suitably vague for the second person to post one.
I also thought that the hints had to be single-word, because all of the ones on this thread were, as were the ones on the last thread on this game. I'm willing to elaborate my hint, if you're fine with that.
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:48 pm UTC

Mathilda wrote:I've never played word Mafia, only normal Mafia. But in terms of game mechanics, surely talking is town's only way of gaining information on which to act?

Talking is a double edged sword, it gives villagers info, it gives ghosts info. We had lots of talking game 1 (with some other factors as well), ghosts won. Talking reduced a bunch game 2, villagers won.

Lawrencelot wrote:Does anyone think emlightened is town/fool? If not we should lynch her

I think it's between adnapemit and emlightened.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:59 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:
Lawrencelot wrote:Does anyone think emlightened is town/fool? If not we should lynch her

I think it's between adnapemit and emlightened.

Fool?
Or target for lynching?
emlightened wrote:I also thought that the hints had to be single-word, because all of the ones on this thread were, as were the ones on the last thread on this game. I'm willing to elaborate my hint, if you're fine with that.

Vague is good unless it is vague because you are a ghost. I only had a single word hint because every hint I thought of that was longer that a word was too obvious.
[adnapemit|timepanda]

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:32 am UTC

Day 1 Deadline is in just under 24 hours

If votes are tied at deadline, the player who got to that number of votes first will be kicked from the channel.

If there are no votes at deadline, nobody will be kicked but the ghosts will each be told a letter that is in the word.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:37 pm UTC

I have a pretty good idea whose clue matches up with mine, do I have a 2/3 shot of hitting a ghost by voting among the other people. I'll be monitoring in case things go south.

Vote: adnapemit

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:29 pm UTC

Ok, moody is definitely Ghost. If he were fool he wouldn't have 'a pretty good idea whose clue matches'. Other townies, please vote for him.

Kill: moody

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:32 pm UTC

Well, that escalated quickly.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:43 pm UTC

Since I don't want the game to end with my death.
Vote: moody7277
[adnapemit|timepanda]

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:50 am UTC

Votals:

adnapemit - 1 (moody)
moody - 2 (lawrencelot, adnapemit)

Deadline in just over 3 hours.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:12 am UTC

The anachronistic Soviet Relay Chat was not exactly buzzing with activity, but conversations were being had amongst the chatters. There were a few people, though, who found one of the conversants to be a bit pushy; he seemed to be asking people for their mother's maiden name in an awfully suspicious manner.

So two of the chatters voted to kick him from the channel, and security obliged, backtracing the offending IP address to come up with a shocking revelation...

Moody was Dylan Davis, All-American Master Hacker! He was part of the G.H.O.S.T. Squad.

Moody has 48 hours to guess the missile deflection code via PM (feel free to guess sooner if you can; if you need more time because of Christmas and all, that can be arranged).

Madge

Re: Ghost III Mafia - Day 2 - Bad Password

Postby Madge » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:47 am UTC

image source

Beads of sweat ran down Dylan's head. He'd been kicked from the chat channel and had no way of getting any further information about the passcode. He looked from hint to hint, trying to puzzle out which of them were for the missile deflectors and which controlled only the door to the cafeteria.

Well, he figured he may as well try piping a command to the missile deflectors; it certainly couldn't hurt at this stage. Besides, the missiles only locked you out on the
second bad password attempt.

He paused, considering; time ticked slowly around him in his secure military bunker, and he finally typed a command into the terminal....

Code: Select all

[dylandavis@raketa:~]% raketa -z RANSOM
Kod dlya pomekha raket ne prinyat. Dostup zakryt. U vas ostalas' odna popytka.

Well, that's unfortunate; it didn't accept 'RANSOM' as the code word. Perhaps his powers of deduction were not what he thought; perhaps he wasn't the best hacker in the United States after all; or perhaps, more likely, he just really kind of sucked at doing social engineering in his second language.

It was now up to the other elite G.H.O.S.T. squad hacker to deflect the missiles and save the world from the United State's inevitable counterattack - if enough of the country's military prowess remained to stage one after the strike landed...

Moody's guess of "ransom" was incorrect.

It is now Day 2.

There are 4 people chatting in the channel. Three votes are required to kick someone from the chat.

Deadline is about four and a half days - please let me know if this is too soon, I am happy to give an extension.

As with yesterday, if votes are tied at deadline, the player who got to that number of votes first will be kicked from the channel and if there are no votes at deadline, nobody will be kicked but the remaining ghost will be told a letter that is in the secret word.

English Translation of Russian Flavour Text
Spoiler:
According to google translate, 'raketa' is russian for 'missile'.

The Russian sentence is google translated from "Missile jammer code not accepted. Access denied. You have 1 attempts remaining"

(This post has been edited to contain accurate Russian thanks to Dimochka's help)
Last edited by Madge on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:21 am UTC

The password is still safe!
I'm pretty sure Lawrencelot is not a ghost.
That leaves emlightened or Mathilda.
[adnapemit|timepanda]

Mathilda

Postby Mathilda » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:13 am UTC

I suspect that I might be the fool because I couldn't see how any of the other hints related to the word that I was given.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:31 pm UTC

Deadline in just under 24 hours.

At the moment there are no votes, so at deadline the remaining ghost will be given a letter that is in the word.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:13 am UTC

It's close but I feel emlightened is a bit more ghostly.
Kick: emlightened
[adnapemit|timepanda]

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:27 pm UTC

Sorry, but my money's on Mathilda.

kick: Mathilda

I'd look a lot less ghostly if I had known that more-than-one-word-hints were allowed. Which was probably obvious, but I didn't see anyone in this game or the last one that suggested it.
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:11 am UTC

Molly Anderson sat in her chair, looking numbly at the almost silent Soviet chat channel; ever since Dylan had been kicked, she'd not been able to make any headway into the Soviet password database because of the heightened suspicion of the populace. In fact, it only took one report to the security staff to get her kicked from the channel, too.

However, she still had a connection to the missile interface, and despite Dylan's earlier failure they had one password attempt still available. NORAD reported that the warhead was only 4 minutes from Washington, so there was never going to be a better time.

Her heart beating in her throat, she pondered the password that the fate of the free world depended on...

emlightened was Molly Anderson, Elite All-American Master Hacker! She has 48 hours to submit her guess for the secret word.

Madge

Re: Ghost III Mafia - Game Over

Postby Madge » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:13 pm UTC

Molly Anderson took a deep breath and typed into her console. She wondered if it would work? She had left it rather late; if she was wrong, the missiles would hit Washington within thirty seconds. If she was correct, they'd explode more-or-less harmlessly over some nearby farmland; casualties would be minimal.

Code: Select all

[mollyanderson@raketa:~]% raketa -z REPORT

The terminal gave no response, this time; Molly looked to the man in the room with her, phone receiver against his ear, receiving live updates from NORAD. He shook his head...

~~~

The Soviet generals Ivan, Anastasia and Boris got up from their individual terminals and went to the control room; the missiles were almost ready to bear down on the capitol of their pinto nemeses, in a first strike that would be a decisive show of the power of the Kremlin.

They had heard that they had been instrumental in reporting the security breaches caused by two American hackers who had somehow gotten access to the password system. Anastasia Smirnova and Boris Ivanov were confident that they'd taken good care of the password they'd been assigned - the codes to jam the missiles that were clearly a huge part of national security. Meanwhile, General Ivan Petrovich had been given the arguably more lauded role of having sole access to the code for the cafeteria door - which, as it happened, was BUFFER.

Anastasia and Boris looked with concern as the hacker submitted a code to the missiles; the high latency of the terminal made each letter of REPORT come in infuriatingly slowly. However, that did not matter; it only took the first letter - the "R" - for them to know that the missile jammer code - EDITOR - had remained secure.

Soviet spies quickly confirmed that Washington had been hit; panic ensued throughout the United States, which launched some of its own missiles. However, a counter-attack on US nuclear storage facilities in California and Tennessee, along with thinly veiled threats to the civilian population, led to a swift surrender being brokered between the two warring nations.

Washington stood in ruins; thousands of people had died, and many more would suffer from the radiation in the years to come.

A deep, dark winter was setting in; fortunately, the new communist regime meant that the meagre supplies that came from farming were distributed fairly. Although the winters were long, the summers few and far between, and hunger was a way of life, the comrades would always look out for each other and share what little they had.

That is, all except for the legendary Generals who were instrumental in bringing about this new paragon of equality upon the world, using their quick-thinking and their sharp instincts; no, they and their families each got a quadruple rations.

After all, some people are more equal than others.

As for Molly Anderson and Dylan Davis, the Anacronistic American Master Hackers?

Well, as they'd be happy to tell you if they weren't busy tilling the frozen farmland upon which they eked out a living:

Better red than dead!

The ghosts lose!

Congratulations to our villagers, Lawrencelot and adnapemit!

Congratulations to our fool, Mathilda - I hope you enjoyed your first game, this is a bit of a weird type so we'd definitely encourage you to check out another one!

And finally, commiserations to Moody and Emlightened, our ghosts - unfortunately this is a hard game to win, and the villagers gave you very little to go on.

Thankyou all for playing and I'm sorry I was so late with this ending flavour! I hope you enjoyed playing, it was certainly fun to get to write silly little bits of drabble for you all!

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:22 pm UTC

Congrats. It was fun, and lawrencelot and adnapemit's hints were pretty good. See you in some other game, probably.
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:33 am UTC

Good game everyone!
Thanks Madge for the awesome flavour!
[adnapemit|timepanda]

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:51 am UTC

Good game all, great flavour Madge! You should try modding a flavoured game of Mafia.

Mathilda, was your hint that you thought you're a fool? Can't see how it relates to buffer.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:31 pm UTC

I'm seriously considering modding a survivor ORG or a The Genius (korean reality show) ORG when I get back from my honeymoon, don't worry :D

Mathilda

Postby Mathilda » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:50 pm UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:Good game all, great flavour Madge! You should try modding a flavoured game of Mafia.

Mathilda, was your hint that you thought you're a fool? Can't see how it relates to buffer.

I was trying to get into the flavour and how one of the flaws of a capitalist society is that redundancy (i.e. a buffer) is removed to maximise profits. But I couldn't see how other people's hints related that word.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:09 am UTC

Madge wrote:I'm seriously considering modding a survivor ORG or a The Genius (korean reality show) ORG when I get back from my honeymoon, don't worry :D

Ooh, I watched the first few episodes of The Genius, and always meant to finish it. I'm definitely in.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:13 am UTC

We're just starting season 3! It's so great :).

The best thing about The Genius is I can just steal most of the games wholesale. I'm not able to make up games, unfortunately. I'm not sure how to handle death matches though, it seems like the pace would be awfully slow, it might be better just to have the person who loses the main match get eliminated straight away, but that kills a lot of opportunities for deals and whatnot, so who knows.

Return to “Mafia”