Dollhouse Mafia - Game Over

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Diemo

Re: Dollhouse Mafia - Day 3 - Chaos

Postby Diemo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:13 am UTC

Alright, so, it is me, Bessie, emlightened and Madge.

Bessie, I'm like 99% sure you are town. So if you are in fact the SK, congratulations.

Bessie, there is no way for you to win here. But you are the kingmaker. Me and my mafia partner can stop a lynch today, because ties result in a NL. So I guess I am going to ask you to vote for Madge, because I feel that I have put more of an effort into convincing people that I am town than diMadgeka did.

N1 we tried to kill diMadgeka. It failed. Now emlightened's power is to get through a single roleblock. Given that Carlington claimed to have roleblocked you, cf was cop, adnap used a cop (it seems unlikely she could use two powers a night), and jimbob was a watcher, this makes it impossible that she was double roleblocked (and yeah, my power is to be invisible to actions but we thought that hers was more useful). Hence, diMadgeka is bulletproof and is the serial killer.

The question is whether or not she is permanently bulletproof. If she is not, then we win, because you can bet that we are going to try to kill her again tonight. If she is, then you are kingmaker, because if you don't vote for her we NL tonight, we try to kill diMadgeka and fail, she kills one of us, and I guess we have this conversation again tomorrow. Either way you lose, because as the only town left you can no longer control the lynch.

I would prefer to just get it over with without waiting for another week for the deadline to hit and us to NL.

Vote: Madge

Oh, so if you are the SK, then you also want to lynch diMadgeka, because you can't win with a bulletproof townie out there. In which case, it is a draw, but we have to wait a week or whatever. Because in that case, the kills are resolved simultaneously (we asked the mod at some point) and so everyone dies (unless you are also bulletproof, but I can live with losing in that case).

Madge, want to try to claim not to be Alpha?
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:15 am UTC

Well, this is complicated.

Given the circumstances I'm not sure if I trust emlightened's maths. Let's look at it. We have at least two enemy factions (OK - if we're looking at every possibility, maybe scum has a bonus one-shot kill so they can do two kills in a night, but it's simpler to assume we've got at least one SK).

So with 4 players we have, at best, 2/1/1.

Emlightened - why didn't you claim you were vanilla/backup when dim made a similar claim about "our" role? That makes me a little suspicious of your claim (but only a tiny bit), though I want to see what the others come up with so we can be sure there are actually scum fake claims in there, since we could be in a 2SK situation.

Anyway. Maths.

2/1/1: (Two SK situation)
Lynch town -> 1/1/1 -> mafia and SK kill; we either end up with 1 town and 1 SK tomorrow (SK wins), one SK kills town and one SK kills SK and SK wins, or the SKs kill each other and town wins (so tiny chance of town win here)
Lynch SK -> 2/1 -> 1/1 tomorrow, SK wins
No lynch ->
1/1/1 (Both SKs kill the same townie) -> town loses, can play kingmaker and choose which SK wins
0/1/1 (both SKs kill a townie) -> absolute draw
2/0/0 (SKs annhilate each other) -> town win
1/1/0 (one SK kills the other, one kills town) -> SK win

1/2/1: (two mafia + SK situation)
Lynch town -> 0/2/1 -> mafia wins
Lynch mafia -> 1/1/1 -> refer above (SK wins or town wins)
No lynch ->
0/1/1 -> absolute draw
0/2/1 -> mafia win
0/2/0 -> mafia win
1/1/0 -> mafia win

2/2: (two mafia, no SK [included for completeness, very unlikely IMO])
Mafia has already won so.... this can't actually be possible

3/1: (we only ever had an SK, who got a double kill somehow last night [even more unlikely])
We're at MYLO, no lynch would be advisable

So, the following follows:

- mafia and SK cannot claim, because if their identity is known by the opposing scumgroup it will seal their fate, but if town knows, then no big deal
- town also needs to stay claiming town because if they're identified as confirmed town, town loses
- so mafia and SK will all need to try to blend in with the last townie, which FMPOV explains emlightened's post
- I think we're probably at 1/2/1, so barring some sort of miracle (or a two SK setup), it's unwinnable
- If we have two SKs and they play optimally, town wins because they kill each other, since killing the other SK is the only way for an SK to win (I find this amusing)
- I am left with a tracker power now, and given there's very few situations in which anyone's alive to benefit tomorrow I'm not sure it's useful.

So it looks like I need to lynch a mafia member today, since if I lynch the SK I lose, and if I get lynched I lose, too.

So, here's my proposal:

Mafia, let one of your members claim their true mafia form. The other mafia member should join in the lynch posing as town. Then there's a lovely guessing game involving who is town, and who is pretending to be town so as not to look like the SK. If both sides guess right... well, then I win. So really you'd be gambling on your opponent guessing wrong, which I think is really a very awesome way for a game to end.

I don't think there's a better chance of a town win, but if you have any ideas feel free to share them and we can debate their merits.

Ninja: ok, well, mafia has come out and claimed, but it looks like not to my proposal that actually gives town a chance of winning. whether I'm town or not, whoever IS town, they benefit from my proposal.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:17 am UTC

vote: diemo

Since, you know, claimed mafia is mafia.

I can confirm I have an additional bulletproofness I didn't mention in my claim before, so scummy scum is scum.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:18 am UTC

Town is dead. We are at 1/2/1, which means that it is literally impossible for town to win now.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:20 am UTC

This kinda reminds me of Chairman Maofia, which was also me against Madge trying to convince someone else to vote :D. Man, I enjoyed that game.

Also, I feel like I have used diMadgeka before, did you replace dimochka in another game at some stage, Madge?
--Douglas Adams

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:23 am UTC

Madge wrote: whoever IS town, they benefit from my proposal.

Except it doesn't work, as the two mafia can just force a No Lynch, and a mafia lynch is impossible to force unless one mafia votes for the other, which is obviously counterproductive.

Ninja'd x3. Doesn't really matter.

And yes, if Diemo is correct about madge being bulletproof, bessie is kingmaker.
The Seven Wonders of the World:
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:26 am UTC

I've been doing a lot of replacing lately so it's likely. (I notice so many games end up wanting replacements that if I'm not super 100% MUST PLAY GAME levels of eager to play a game I just sign up as a replacement instead)

Mafia can force a no lynch, but town can vote to kingmake the SK if they don't, in a kind of blackmail type situation.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:27 am UTC

Vote for Madge, em.

I have to go to sleep now :(. Stupid job! I guess we are just waiting on Bessie anyway.

Hey, Bessie, have I mentioned how nice you are? And that you're pretty? :P

ninja: Oh yeah, town is totally kingmaker here.
--Douglas Adams

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:33 am UTC

(but she might think that you and madge are doing some weird ploy, and not that I'm mafia, which is blatantly obvious)

Vote: Madge

And if bessie does decide to go with Madge, we just have to wait until Monday for the results. See you all then, or this morning, if bessie does decide to vote against Madge.
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:38 am UTC

OK, I just got home. I didn’t have time to check the thread this morning (RL issues) because I was called in early to work, and our garage door was stuck, an hour delay there. I missed a meeting with our most important customer and also had to cover for two guys who didn’t show up today (I've got to get the hell out of there). When I got home my husband was so sick he can’t get out of bed and he was supposed to play a gig tonight.

Meh, another typical day. I wonder what’s happening with Dollhouse…

Oh fucking hell, now I’m officially having a very bad day.

But seriously, I’m not trying to stall, I'm just exhausted. Give me a few hours to read the thread; I just did a quick skim.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:28 am UTC

Diemo wrote:I would prefer to just get it over with without waiting for another week for the deadline to hit and us to NL.

To address this issue, if you're absolutely confident that you don't want to change your vote and that you don't want to discuss things any further then you may post a secondary vote to end the day early (please indicate that it's separate from your normal vote). If all players do so then I won't wait for the deadline to arrive.
Please send me your night actions (if you have any) before choosing to end the day early!

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:07 am UTC

All right, let’s see what we have.

Diemo wrote:Bessie, there is no way for you to win here.

I’ll get this one out of the way right now. I think I agree with you, but let me make sure.

Diemo wrote:N1 we tried to kill diMadgeka. It failed. Now emlightened's power is to get through a single roleblock. Given that Carlington claimed to have roleblocked you, cf was cop, adnap used a cop (it seems unlikely she could use two powers a night), and jimbob was a watcher, this makes it impossible that she was double roleblocked (and yeah, my power is to be invisible to actions but we thought that hers was more useful). Hence, diMadgeka is bulletproof and is the serial killer.

Hmm, Diemo is not telling the complete truth. But I still can't see any help in this for town.

Madge wrote:- I am left with a tracker power now, and given there's very few situations in which anyone's alive to benefit tomorrow I'm not sure it's useful.

So it looks like I need to lynch a mafia member today, since if I lynch the SK I lose, and if I get lynched I lose, too.

Madge, you can quit pretending to be the town tracker. Diemo and emlightened are claimed mafia. I know you are the serial killer. Not that it makes any difference which of the two of us is town. They’re going to vote together.

Diemo wrote:The question is whether or not she is permanently bulletproof. If she is not, then we win, because you can bet that we are going to try to kill her again tonight. If she is, then you are kingmaker, because if you don't vote for her we NL tonight, we try to kill diMadgeka and fail, she kills one of us, and I guess we have this conversation again tomorrow. Either way you lose, because as the only town left you can no longer control the lynch.

OK, I accept that I can’t win. But I feel that I owe it to town not to give up without a fight. So I think that I should sit back and watch you kill each other. I will also have one more day of futile hope that somehow you will all die overnight and I will be last man standing on D4 (no, I know it’s not going to happen but let me dream a little, I’ve had a rough RL day).

Diemo wrote:I would prefer to just get it over with without waiting for another week for the deadline to hit and us to NL.

I agree that it is a waste of time to drag this out until Monday. We’re going to No Lynch. Let’s get it over with. Submit your night actions and we can vote No Lynch.

Ninja’d by Sabrar while I was writing this out. So vote no lynch or vote to end the day.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:24 am UTC

I'm fine with that.

Vote to end day early

bessie wrote:
Diemo wrote:N1 we tried to kill diMadgeka. It failed. Now emlightened's power is to get through a single roleblock. Given that Carlington claimed to have roleblocked you, cf was cop, adnap used a cop (it seems unlikely she could use two powers a night), and jimbob was a watcher, this makes it impossible that she was double roleblocked (and yeah, my power is to be invisible to actions but we thought that hers was more useful). Hence, diMadgeka is bulletproof and is the serial killer.

Hmm, Diemo is not telling the complete truth. But I still can't see any help in this for town.

Nah, the only help that town could have had would have been deciding who they watch die, instead of letting it decide itself. There was no possible way for town to win that I know of.
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:51 am UTC

Vote to end day as soon as Bessie votes

bessie wrote:

Well, in that my power is actually to be unwatchable/untrackable/godfather, sure.
--Douglas Adams

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:39 pm UTC

Vote: Diemo

Vote to end the day early if Madge agrees.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:53 pm UTC

Votals:
Diemo - 2 (Madge, bessie)
Madge - 2 (Diemo, emlightened)

Tied votals result in No Lynch.

End the day early - 3 (bessie, Diemo, emlightened)

Please send me your night-actions (if you have any) before voting to end the day!

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:15 pm UTC

end day early

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:16 pm UTC

Night has fallen.

Votals:
Diemo - 2 (Madge, bessie)
Madge - 2 (Diemo, emlightened)

Please don't post in the thread until Day 4 begins.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:01 pm UTC

For a little while they kept pretending that they were still on her side, but Echo knew that she couldn't trust any of them. Finally, after some analysis her former handler decided that it was pointless to argue anymore and announced his masterplan, sure in the knowledge that it was fool-proof. Of course as a wise man (sadly deceased) once said: "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Would this come back to haunt him?

They argued a bit but neither side had the numerical advantage so they called it a day and went their separate ways. Their rest was uneasy.

In the morning only Echo came to breakfast. She looked nervously around but quickly overcame her fears and went looking for the others. After a quick search she found two of them in a deadly embrace near the dreaded Chair. Although it was almost pointless, she still looked through the stuff the dead left behind to determine their true allegiance. Everything was as she initially suspected neither Boyd Langton nor Alpha had her best interest in mind.

Diemo is dead. He was Boyd Langton, Mafia, Godfather, Strongman variant
Madge is dead. She was Alpha, Serial Killer, with a one-shot immunity to the Mafia NK and who could choose between the same Strongman variant or Ninja to perform the kill

Echo didn't feel safe. Mellie was still around and according to Boyd she had been permanently brainwashed to serve Rossum's interests. Echo was confident that she would survive the first ambush but she had no idea how to strike back. She desperately looked for a way out but couldn't break the security measures installed by Topher.

-----------------------------------------

Mellie stalked her former friend silently with Victor's gun in hand that the others forgot about. It all came down to this. Months of planning would go to waste if she didn't hit her shot. She aimed carefully, squeezed the trigger and... missed!

'Gosh darn it to heck! That girl moves like a cat.'

Fortunately (at least for her) by dodging the bullet Echo lost her balance and was a sitting duck for the follow-up. This time there was no one there to save her.

bessie is dead. She was Echo, Town, with a one-shot immunity to the Mafia NK

With all of her enemies eliminated there was no stopping Mellie as she searched for Topher's blueprints and delivered them to her masters in their quest for complete world domination.

-----------------------------------------

Congratulations to Diemo and emlightened for their win as the Mafia!

Thanks to everyone for participating - hope you all enjoyed it!

PS: Complete list of role-pm-s will be up shortly.

Sabrar

Re: Dollhouse Mafia - Game Over

Postby Sabrar » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:11 pm UTC

Role pm-s:

adnapemit
Spoiler:
Name: Topher Brink
Description: Genius doesn't even start to describe you. You're the most brilliant computer engineer/technological wizard this world can currently offer (alright, you're a bit vain as well). Normally you wouldn't care one way or the other how your inventions get used, but lately you've started having some ethical concerns which is a completely new territory for you. You're disgusted by the plans of the Rossum Corporation and want to stop them before it's too late.
Abilities: You constantly tinker with new gadgets, abandoning old projects once they're finished. You have 3 one-shot abilities and can use 1 of them each night. (Please pm with with your choice of ability and target before the end of the day). Once you've used up all of them you become vanilla. These abilities are:
- alignment Cop (receives Town, Scum or Independent as a result)
- Doctor (cannot save yourself)
- Tracker

Alignment: You're a member of the Town
Factional abilities: None
Win condition: You win once every threat to Town has been eliminated.

bessie
Spoiler:
Name: Echo
Description: You've spent your whole life fighting against the Rossum Corporation, even committing terrorist acts to stop them. Suddenly the consequences of your actions caught up with you and you had no other choice but to sign up as a doll. Luckily your unique brain structure gives you some ability to resist the imprinting process, allowing for ever-increasing autonomy in your ongoing quest to thwart Rossum.
Abilities: Due to being able to resist the wiping process, you have a one-shot immunity to the Mafia kill.

Carlington
Spoiler:
Name: Laurence Dominic
Description: You are the head of security in the Los Angeles Dollhouse. Secretly, however you're also a mole for the FBI, trying to keep the technology hidden from general knowledge. Recently though you began to doubt both Rossum's and the FBI's motives so now you're only looking out for yourself. Your goal is to survive this ordeal one way or the other.
Abilities: You're a Roleblocker. As the head of security you can temporarily lock people up and don't really have to justify yourself. Each day you may send me a pm with the name of another player and his/her ability will not resolve that night (unless it's unblockable for some reason).

Alignment: You're an Independent Survivor.
Factional abilities: None.
Win condition: You win if you are alive at the end of the game.

crucialityfactor
Spoiler:
Name: Paul Ballard
Description: You're a former FBI investigator who relentlessly investigated the Dollhouse despite the warning of his colleagues. After exhausting all other possibilities you ended up working for them, trying to bring them down from the inside. But now an even greater threat is looming and you have to cooperate fully with your former enemies if you want to stop Rossum's evil vision from coming true.
Abilities: You're an alignment Cop. Each day you may send me a pm with the name of another player and you will receive Town, Scum or Independent as a result by next morning.

Diemo
Spoiler:
Name: Boyd Langton
Description: You're the head of the Rossum Corporation and the mastermind behind all their evil plans. You currently masquerade as a handler of one of the dolls to keep an eye on several key personel in Los Angeles. You're very skilled at deceiving people and as a trusted employee you have some authority to wield around that can be very useful sometimes. You've began to view some of people surrounding you as a surrogate family but if killing them is the only way to accomplish your greater goal then that won't stop you.
Abilities: You're a Godfather. Nobody suspects you being evil, so a Cop investigating you would get Town as a result. Also, if you should perform the night-kill then it becomes unblockable once. (It ignores the first roleblock or Doctor-save that would prevent it, but not the second. Also if your target should be immune to the Mafia kill, this will not override it.)

Alignment: You're a member of the Rossum Corporation (Mafia), along with Mellie (played by emlightened).
Factional abilities: You can chat during the day with your scum-buddy (please include me in all pm-s). You have a factional kill each night and it will be you who decides the performer and the target as well (obviously you can discuss it before with your partner). Please pm me with the details before the end of the day.
Win condition: You win once every non-Mafia player is eliminated or when this outcome is inevitable.

Should it come to mass role-claiming, you can safely claim to be Adelle DeWitt (the director of the Los Angeles Dollhouse) as a Redirector.

dimochka
Spoiler:
Name: Alpha
Description: You're a complete psychopath. But that's all right, you have an excuse, it was the Dollhouse that made you this way. Now you're out for revenge, looking to hurt anyone that stands in your way. You have so many personalities mixed up in your brain you can draw from a lot of different experiences, making your mission that much easier.
Abilities: Each night you can decide whether to perform your kill as a Strongarm or as a Ninja. If you choose Strongarm then it becomes unblockable once (it ignores the first roleblock or Doctor-save that would prevent it, but not the second). If you choose Ninja then it becomes undetectable by Watchers and Trackers. Also you have built up a small immunity against the wiping process, giving you a one-shot immunity against the Mafia kill.

Alignment: You're Independent.
Factional abilities: You're a Serial Killer, having the ability to attempt to kill one other player each night. Please pm with your target of choice before the end of the day.
Win condition: You win if you are the only player alive or if this outcome becomes inevitable.

Should it come to mass role-claiming, you can safely claim to be Ivy, the assistant of Topher Brink who will inherit his power should he die.

emlightened
Spoiler:
Name: Mellie
Description: You're a sleeper agent, a doll programmed to lead an ordinary life until she gets triggered. Unfortunately for you Boyd Langton, the head of the Rossum Corporation messed with your programming and recruited you to his cause, forcing you to kill and do other evil deeds against your former friends. You maintain a lot of autonomy as he can't control your every move, still you're now firmly in Team Evil. At least as a doll you can go wherever you like and noone will notice you.
Abilities: You're a Ninja. If you should perform the night-kill then it becomes undetectable by Watchers and Trackers as well.

Alignment: You're a member of the Rossum Corporation (Mafia), along with Boyd Langton (played by Diemo).
Factional abilities: You can chat during the day with your scum-buddy (please include me in all pm-s). You have a factional kill each night but it will be your partner who decides the performer and the target as well (obviously he can discuss it before with you). Should he die, this duty will fall on you from that moment on.
Win condition: You win once every non-Mafia player is eliminated or when this outcome is inevitable.

Should it come to mass role-claiming, you can safely claim Mellie as Vanilla Town who gains a one-shot kill ability if Paul Ballard (her love in the show) dies as she goes on a roaring rampage of revenge.

freezeblade
Spoiler:
Name: Dr. Claire Saunders
Description: You are the resident physician of the Dollhouse. You take your work very seriously, looking after the dolls' mental well-being in addition to your regular duties. The job is 24/7, not allowing much free time to make friends but you prefer it that way. You adamantly oppose anyone who tries to harm or exploit the dolls, thus it is your sacred duty to try and stop the Rossum Corporation from completing their evil plan of world domination.
Abilities: You're a Doctor. Each day you may send me a pm with the name of another player and s/he will be protected from one kill that night.

Alignment: You're a member of the Town.

jimbobmacdoodle
Spoiler:
Name: Sierra
Description: A very bad but powerful man committed you to the Dollhouse because you refused him. After months of forcibly satisfying his perverted fantasies, you finally were able to get rid of him with your new love. Things almost became normal when suddenly you heard that the Rossum Corporation had even more nefarious plans for this technology than you could have imagined. You need to take action against them to protect Victor and yourself.
Abilities: You're a Watcher. You stay awake late at night, dreaming of a better life. Each day you may pm me the name of another player and in the morning you will know all who targeted him/her with an action the previous night.

Factional abilities: You're Lovers with Victor (played by mpolo). You may not communicate with each other and if one of you is killed the other will die of a broken heart. However both of you know that the other is Town as well.

mpolo
Spoiler:
Name: Victor
Description: You're a former soldier who signed up to the Dollhouse because of PTSD. You never suspected that you would find true love in a place like this but you couldn't be happier. However evil forces threaten the sanity of all mankind and you feel compelled to take up arms against them to protect Sierra and yourself.
Abilities: You're a one-shot Vigilante. You retain some of your former training and therefore once during the game you can choose to kill another player during the next night.

Factional abilities: You're Lovers with Sierra (played by jimbobmacdoodle). You may not communicate with each other and if one of you is killed the other will die of a broken heart. However both of you know that the other is Town as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions/observations/criticism regarding the setup/flavor/anything else!

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:26 pm UTC

So I switched me and emlightened's powers so that Madge would kill the one who could get through role blocks. But then she killed me anyway and it turned out not to matter.

I just forgot to mention the Godfather part the first time round.

Thanks for playing everyone. I enjoyed it. I think that we were pretty lucky because SK killed town only (and killed the lovers).
--Douglas Adams

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:34 pm UTC

Great play mafia, and good game.

Hopfully I'll last longer than D1 next time :wink:
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:09 am UTC

Sorry jimbob. I was pretty sure you were town and I was hoping that mafia would also hit town and make my life easier. Clearly I was wrong. Madge did great considering the mess I left for her.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:29 am UTC

Well played mafia! Congratulations to emlightened for not receiving a single vote from anyone other than me. And Diemo, alas, you were the only person I was certain was town the entire game (although I like to think I would have figured it out, had I an opportunity to read the thread before you claimed). To say my scumdar is reliable is an understatement.

Good game everyone, and thank you Madge for replacing.

Sorry for dragging that out at the end. I had a small glimmer of hope that there were some hidden mechanics in my role and that when I sat in the chair I would get another power. I guess it’s not enough to read the rules; I should try to remember them too.

crucialityfactor, I wasn’t really frustrated with the game. I have a very townie meta, and I’ve been trying to develop a more aggressive meta in my last few games. When someone needed to get things started, I decided to go for it and do the most jestery thing I could think of. I didn’t have a power that could help catch scum so I wouldn’t be too big of a loss anyway. I must admit I am quite puzzled as to how, despite my attempts to be the scummiest player in the game on D1, I ended up on the top of everyone’s town list. I am again reminded that there is much I have to learn about this game.

freezeblade, sorry about needling you with the no lynch thing. I was just trying to get you to post. And apologies to anyone else I may have annoyed.

Sabrar, I don’t really know if the setup was balanced or not, maybe one of the more experienced players can share their thoughts. But in my opinion the lovers was a disadvantage for town, especially with two anti-town, every night kills. We only had one mislynch and had already lost at the beginning of D3. Actually, I think there was no way for Mafia to lose on D3 (and no kingmaker), but maybe I’m overlooking something. Nonetheless, the mere technicality of my loss in no way lessens the enjoyment I had playing the game. Thank you Sabrar for modding, and thank you everyone else for playing. I hope to play with all of you again soon.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:44 am UTC

bessie wrote:Actually, I think there was no way for Mafia to lose on D3 (and no kingmaker), but maybe I’m overlooking something.

Mafia figured out that Echo would be the most likely to be Bulletproof from a flavor pov and they were certain she was town. So for a brief moment they thought you were the SK and Madge was Echo. Had they stuck with their read they would have tried to kill you N3 and Day 4 would have been a true kingmaker situation with a 1-1-1 setup. BTW you were their back-up kill on both N1 and N2 and they almost had you as primary kill on N2 switching it up at the last moment.

Lovers were definitely a disadvantage to Town but so was including 2 NK-immune characters for Mafia. Also I consider Carlington a mislynch as well as he could have helped you win the game if left alive. Still I admit that I have no idea if the setup was truly balanced, it felt right to me with all the power-roles but I could be mistaken.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:51 am UTC

OK, I knew I must be overlooking something.

bessie wrote: To say my scumdar is reliable is an understatement.

Unreliable. My scumdar is frustratingly unreliable. :?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:52 am UTC

I'm glad to see that my scumdar wasn't completely off. After I died, I guessed correctly that Diemo was mafia, although I think I got the other wrong.

I was left in a bit of a predicament in the trailing stages of D1. As I noted in Gojoe, I was confident that freezeblade wasn't scum, especially after the doctor claim. Unfortunately, the only other obvious candidate to push was mpolo, but for obvious reasons, I didn't want him to be lynched either. At the same time I couldn't be too clear in my mpolo defence because I didn't want scum realising that I knew his alignment.

Anyway, good game everyone, and thank you for nodding Sabrar. Bessie, you did your best. I had you labelled as town, because I (eventually) realised what you were trying to do (get discussion going). Shame you didn't draw the night kill though that last night. I'd have been really interested in seeing who came out on top in a 1-1-1 situation.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:18 pm UTC

bessie wrote:crucialityfactor, I wasn’t really frustrated with the game. I have a very townie meta, and I’ve been trying to develop a more aggressive meta in my last few games. When someone needed to get things started, I decided to go for it and do the most jestery thing I could think of. I didn’t have a power that could help catch scum so I wouldn’t be too big of a loss anyway. I must admit I am quite puzzled as to how, despite my attempts to be the scummiest player in the game on D1, I ended up on the top of everyone’s town list. I am again reminded that there is much I have to learn about this game.

At points I was concerned that you might have just been aggressive scum trying to take over a highly inactive game. But, I tried to focus more on my initial gut feelings on players. Which I shouldn't have. I feel like I needed one more good day of game play to really suss out what was happening. Which we did not get :( Tough to lose 6 townies over 2 day/night cycles and come out on top. Also, I really screwed up and didn't get my n1 investigation in, which would have been adnapemit and that probably would have given me better clarity on d2 to go after dimo or emlightened, which might have extended things out a bit more. oh well, I will do better next time!

Well played mafia! Also, well done with balancing things sabrar! I'm sure you had much grander ideas for a larger game, but I think you scaled things down very nicely!

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:01 pm UTC

That was a good game. I feel happy for winning, and stupid for lynching Carlington. I'm a bit surprised that me and Diemo didn't really accumulate any scum votes, as I guess I probably would have had jimbob not being NK on night one. The lovers dying on N1 was pretty bad, but it could have been worse. I went into this game not expecting to like playing scum that much, but I enjoyed it much more than I expected. Thanks Sabrar for the game, and I'll look forward to the next one.
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:05 pm UTC

As I noted in GoJoe, why did players lynch carlington? his claim would have been stupid to make as a mafia member, and even stupider to make as a townie. Lynching mafia/SK is infinitely more important than lynching a indie survivor.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:20 pm UTC

The only players who voted him after the claim were Madge (understandable, she was the alternative) and me (something which I regretted since D3 started, and have wondered why the heck I did it since). I don't know if adnapemit or cruciality saw the post before hammer or not, though.
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:56 am UTC

Good game everyone. Congratulations Diemo and emlightened!
I didn't see Carlingtons post before hammer, I was actually delayed in getting home that day too.
bessie wrote:OK, I knew I must be overlooking something.

bessie wrote: To say my scumdar is reliable is an understatement.

Unreliable. My scumdar is frustratingly unreliable. :?

It's ok. At least for this game mine was a lot worse.

Sabrar, I think the game was almost balanced, I'm not sure lovers and a serial killer was a good idea since numbers dropped really quickly but I can't say for sure as things could have gone very differently. Thank you for the effort in modding and the wonderful flavour text. I lost, I was wrong, I died horribly but I had fun.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:22 pm UTC

I think the lovers/two night-kills combination was fairly harsh for town. But it also went on to the end anyway, though the last day was kind of pointless as far as town was concerned. (Even the SK had no chance really…)

I enjoyed the game, even though I died way too soon…
Image <-- Evil experiment

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:21 pm UTC

There was probably too much potential for death for a normal 10 player game but I hoped that the multiple immunitites and Doctor + Roleblocker roles would keep things in check. It could have gone either way but the variance was definitely big.

@adnapemit: I'm glad you enjoyed the flavor, I had a lot of fun writing it!

Return to “Mafia”