Two Rooms, One Boom, and a Bang (not run)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Two Rooms, One Boom, and a Bang (not run)

Postby ConMan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:03 am UTC

EDIT: This is not the right thread - fresh sign-ups are

Or 2R1B1B, if you are that way inclined. This will follow the same general practices as the Two Rooms and a Boom Practice Game that I ran last year, but this time around I'm using a slightly more complicated roleset, specifically:

Blue Team
President
Doctor
President's Daughter
Nurse
(Vanilla) Blue Team members as necessary

Red Team
Bomber
Engineer
Martyr
Tinker
(Vanilla) Red Team members as necessary

Grey (unaligned)
Sniper
Target
Decoy
Gambler (if necessary)

Roles from the previous game work the same here. At the end of the game, in addition to the Gambler making their call as to who won, the Sniper must name who they will shoot. If they successfully hit the Target, then the Sniper wins and the Target and Decoy both lose. If the Sniper does not hit the Target, the Sniper and Decoy both lose and the Target wins; and if the Sniper hits the Decoy, the Decoy and Target both win. This does not affect whether the Blue or Red team wins (in particular, shooting the President does not cause the Blue team to lose, go figure).

Additionally, one role other than Sniper/Target/Decoy will be buried, prior to roles being distributed. If one of the key roles is the buried one, then the appropriate back-up role will take their place. For example, if the President is the buried role, then the President's Daughter is considered to be the President for all intents and purposes - she must meet with the Doctor and not end up in the same room as the Bomber in order for the Blue team to win. If a key role is not buried, then its backup role is essentially a vanilla member of their team. The buried role is not revealed during the game.

The backup roles are:

President -> President's Daughter
Doctor -> Nurse
Bomber -> Martyr
Engineer -> Tinker
Last edited by ConMan on Mon May 29, 2017 2:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: Two Rooms, One Boom, and a Bang (sign-ups)

Basic Rules:
Spoiler:
1. There are two main factions – the Red and Blue teams. Players may be on one or the other team, or they may be aligned with neither.

2. One member of the Blue team is the President, and one member of the Red team is the Bomber. If the President is alive at the end of the game, all members of the Blue team win. If the Bomber successfully kills the President by being in the same room at the end of the game, all members of the Red team win. Players not on either team will have their own win conditions as described by their role and they may win independently of either team.

3. There are also two rooms, represented here by separate forum threads. Each player is randomly allocated a role and a starting room, and there is no connection between the two. Players in the same room have various means of communicating with each other (described below), but players in different rooms cannot communicate.

4. Each round, the players in each room will elect a Leader. At the end of the round, the Leader will nominate a specified number of people in that room as "hostages". The hostages will swap rooms, and the next round will begin.

5. The game ends after the last hostage exchange. At that point, roles are revealed and winners determined.

Forum Rules:
Spoiler:
6. Don’t talk about the game anywhere except in the current room that you are located, or in an appropriately labelled spoiler in the discussion thread.

7. To initiate an action, clearly state it in bold, on a new line. For example:
Offer card share with ConMan

8. You may publically reveal your card colour or role (aka "card"). To do so, post a message as follows:
Public colour reveal: I am Red or
Public reveal: I am the Bomber

9. You may privately communicate with another player (in the same room) at any time. To do so, post a message in the thread as follows:
Whisper ConMan
followed by a spoiler containing the text of your message.

10. You may privately reveal your colour or role to another player (in the same room) at any time. To do so, post a message in the thread as follows:
Private colour reveal to ConMan or
Private reveal to ConMan
followed by a spoiler containing your colour/role in bold.

11. You may propose a two-way private colour or role reveal (aka "card share") with another player (in the same room). To do so, post a message in the thread as follows:
Offer colour share with ConMan
Offer card share with ConMan

You may accept a share offer by posting in the thread as follows:
Accept card share with ConMan
followed by a spoiler containing your colour/role in bold. They must respond to that as soon as possible with a spoiler addressed to you containing their own colour/role. If you have sent or received the first message in a share, you cannot participate in another share until the second message has been sent (this is in case the share triggers an effect that may change your ability or desire to participate in other shares).

12. Any share or reveal must be accurate - you cannot lie in bolded type.

13. If your current room has no Leader, you may immediately appoint another player (not yourself) by posting:
Appoint ConMan as Leader

14. If you are the Leader of the room, you may abdicate to another player by posting:
Abdicate Leader to ConMan
If your proposed replacement accepts, they immediately become Leader and they may not abdicate Leadership back to you in the same round.

15. Any player may propose a change of Leadership by posting:
Vote ConMan as Leader
If more than half the players in the room vote for the same player, that player immediately becomes Leader. You may vote for yourself.

16. You may withdraw an unaccepted share offer or a vote at any time by posting an appropriate bolded message in the thread.

17. When the timer for the current round ends, you may not post in the thread with one exception – the Leader of each room must post a spoiler with the list of hostages to be exchanged – the Leader may not nominate themselves as a hostage. New forum threads will be created for the two rooms and everyone will be notified of which one they are now in, at which point the new round begins. Note that the Leader stays the same between rounds.

18. If, by some chance, a room has no Leader at the end of the round, one will be randomly selected by the mod.

19. This game will be played like a Turbo. Round end times are final (no extensions), replacements will be made between rounds as necessary.

20. There will be five rounds, with the first running for 5 days and decreasing until the final round which lasts for 1 day. A full list of round lengths and number of hostages to exchange will be posted at game start.

Roles:
Spoiler:
The following roles will definitely be in the game:

You are the Sniper. Your card is Grey. At the end of the game, before roles are revealed, you must name a person to shoot (they do not have to be in the same room as you). If you name the Target, you win.

You are the Target. Your card is Grey. If the Sniper targets you, you lose. Otherwise, you win.

You are the Decoy. Your card is Grey. If the Sniper targets you, you win.

The following roles will also definitely be in the game, but may be buried (i.e. not assigned to a player):

You are the President. You are on the Blue Team, and you win if the President (that's you) is alive at the end of the game. You die (and your team loses) if:
  • You fail to card share with the Doctor by the end of the game.
  • The Bomber has card shared with the Engineer, and is in the same room as you at the end of the game.

You are the Doctor. You are on the Blue Team, and you win if the President is alive at the end of the game. The President dies (and your team loses) if:
  • You fail to card share with the President by the end of the game.
  • The Bomber has card shared with the Engineer, and is in the same room as the President at the end of the game.

You are the Bomber. You are on the Red Team, who win if your bomb kills the President. If you card share with the Engineer, then at the end of the game your bomb goes off and kills everyone in the same room. Try to make sure that includes the President.

You are the Engineer. You are on the Red Team, who win if the Bomber kills the President. If you card share with the Bomber, then at the end of the game their bomb goes off and kills everyone in the same room as them, hopefully including the President.

You are the President's Daughter. You are on the Blue Team, and win if the President is alive at the end of the game. The President dies (and your team loses) if:
  • The Doctor fails to card share with the President by the end of the game.
  • The Bomber has card shared with the Engineer, and is in the same room as the President at the end of the game.
If the President is the buried card, you are the President.

You are the Nurse. You are on the Blue Team, and win if the President is alive at the end of the game. The President dies (and your team loses) if:
If the Doctor is the buried card, you are the Doctor.

You are the Martyr. You are on the Red Team, and win if the Bomber kills the President. If the Bomber and the Engineer card share, then at the end of the game the bomb goes off and kills everyone in the same room as the Bomber, hopefully including the President.

If the Bomber is the buried card, you are the Bomber.

You are the Tinker. You are on the Red Team, and win if the Bomber kills the President. If the Bomber and the Engineer card share, then at the end of the game the bomb goes off and kills everyone in the same room as the Bomber, hopefully including the President.

If the Engineer is the buried card, you are the Engineer.

The following roles will be added to the game as needed to make up numbers (in pairs of Blue/Red Team, plus the Gambler if an odd number of extra cards is required), and may be buried:

You are on the Blue Team. You win if the President is alive at the end of the game. The President dies (and your team loses) if:

You are Red Team. You win if the Bomber kills the President. If the Bomber and the Engineer card share, then at the end of the game the bomb goes off and kills everyone in the same room as the Bomber, hopefully including the President.

You are the Gambler, and your card is Grey. At the end of the game, before any other results are revealed, you will be asked to guess whether the Blue Team, Red Team, or neither has won. If you are correct, then you win.

Clarifications on how the roles work:
Spoiler:
  • If the Doctor and President card share, and the Bomber and Engineer card share, then at the end of the game if the Bomber and President are in the same room the Red Team wins, otherwise the Blue Team wins.
  • If the Bomber and Engineer don't card share, then if the Doctor and President card share the Blue Team wins, otherwise neither team wins.
  • If the Doctor and President don't card share, then if the Bomber and Engineer card share and the Bomber is in the same room as the President at the end of the game, the Red Team wins, otherwise neither team wins.
  • For all of the above interactions, if one of the relevant card is buried then its back-up role takes its place. If the card is not buried, then the back-up role is equivalent to a vanilla member of that team - for example, if the President card is buried, then the President's Daughter takes the place of the President in the above interactions, but the Nurse, Martyr and Tinker have no special abilities.
  • The Grey roles win and lose independently of the Blue and Red Teams. So the maximum number of winners occurs when either Red or Blue Team succeeds, the Gambler correctly guesses, and the Sniper hits the Decoy (causing both the Target and the Decoy to win). The minimum number of winners is 1, occuring when both Blue and Red Teams fail, the Gambler guesses incorrectly, and the Sniper fails to hit the Decoy (so either the Sniper or the Target wins).
Last edited by ConMan on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:50 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

<Reserved>
pollywog wrote:

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:04 am UTC

Sign-ups:

Reserves:

The game requires a minimum of 11 players, but can go up to any number.
pollywog wrote:

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:12 am UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge

Reserves:

I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Snark

Postby Snark » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:05 pm UTC

You didn't explain Engineer or Doctor anywhere, did you?
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:38 pm UTC

Snark wrote:You didn't explain Engineer or Doctor anywhere, did you?

They're kind of covered in the previous game, but I'll be using one of the currently reserved posts to put up a proper list of rules and roles and how everything interacts.

EDIT: The Doctor and Engineer roles were listed in the room threads, but not the main thread. I will still be posting the full list of everything soon. Also, based on feedback from the previous game, this time around there will be no PMs. Instead, all non-public actions will be placed in spoilers, and players will be trusted to not look at spoilers not addressed to them.
pollywog wrote:

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:36 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo

Reserves:

Image <-- Evil experiment

Snark

Postby Snark » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:22 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark

Reserves:

Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Esthr

Postby Esthr » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:34 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr

Reserves:

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:38 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr
5. emnlightened

Reserves:

Bleb. Idk when I'm returning.

Lokiben

Postby Lokiben » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:14 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr
5. emnlightened
6. Lokiben

Reserves:

Hello all :D

Joined just to play 2R1B.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:31 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr
5. emnlightened
6. Lokiben
7. Carlington

Reserves:

Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Chane

Postby Chane » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:32 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr
5. emnlightened
6. Lokiben
7. Carlington
8. Chane

Reserves:

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:56 pm UTC

Welcome to the new folk, and thanks for signing up!

I'll leave sign-ups open for two more weeks to get the numbers needed (also because I'll be on leave and having fun with my family next week so can't start the game then).
pollywog wrote:

Lokiben

Postby Lokiben » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:33 pm UTC

I wasn't aware the game wouldn't be starting for so long. I will be abroad from the 25th to the 4th, and can't play if the game overlaps.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:40 pm UTC

Lokiben wrote:I wasn't aware the game wouldn't be starting for so long. I will be abroad from the 25th to the 4th, and can't play if the game overlaps.

Ah, that will be a bit difficult then. Even starting now would probably be cutting things a bit close then. I still need to hold off, so I'll see when I can start the game (if we don't get the sign-ups, it won't be a problem anyway!)
pollywog wrote:

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:58 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr
5. emlightened
6. Lokiben
7. Carlington
8. Chane

Reserves:
1. jimbobmacdoodle
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Lokiben

Postby Lokiben » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:17 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr
5. emlightened
6. Carlington
7. Chane

Reserves:
1. jimbobmacdoodle
2. Lokiben

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:42 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr
5. Carlington
6. Chane

Reserves:
1. jimbobmacdoodle
2. Lokiben
3. emlightened (Move up to sign-ups if it starts after April 9th)

I'm going on holiday at the start of April (2nd), but I didn't think it would be an issue until I heard about Mod Madness.

Lokiben

Postby Lokiben » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:19 am UTC

I'm sorry to see this didn't work out. I am hosting my own take on Two Rooms and a Boom offsite, but the catch is that the game takes place entirely through Quick Topics, and doesn't necessarily have to be based in a single forum. If I hear enough interest, I can post another OP here, that I can ensure is identical to the one on the ToS Forums at all times, and welcome xkcd forumers to play as well.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:36 pm UTC

I'm finally back, after being back and then gone again thanks to a stomach bug. I'm not sure whether to reset sign-ups, or the thread, or just withdraw and collect my thoughts and try again later. Any preferences?
pollywog wrote:

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:13 pm UTC

I'm still happy to act as a reserve, or if desperate a full player, regardless.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:09 am UTC

I'm super busy for the next two weeks, but I can probably play or replace after about April 9.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:09 am UTC

Probably best to start around or after then, because that's when I come back from holiday too.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:18 pm UTC

Probably worth at least re-announcing. We'll have to see if everybody's still around… I'm still around.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Snark

Postby Snark » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:23 am UTC

I'm out of the running for this game. Sorry.

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

I'm sorry ConMan, but something has come up and I don't have time for another game right now. I might be available in 2-3 weeks.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:43 pm UTC

Looks like it will be best to close this up and reset sign-ups a bit later. Hopefully by the time I do, the search function on the forum will be working again.
pollywog wrote:

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:24 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr
5. Carlington
6. Chane
7. heuristically_alone

Reserves:
1. jimbobmacdoodle
2. Lokiben
3. emlightened (Move up to sign-ups if it starts after April 9th)

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:29 am UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr
5. Carlington
6. Chane
7. heuristically_alone
8. emlightened

Reserves:
1. jimbobmacdoodle
2. Lokiben

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Thu May 26, 2016 4:59 am UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr
5. Carlington
6. Chane
7. heuristically_alone
8. emlightened
9. Mikemk

Reserves:
1. jimbobmacdoodle
2. Lokiben

Clarification request:
When card sharing, are you allowed to lie?
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
Intel i5-750 (OC 3.33 GHz)
8GB (OC 1333 MHz) (2GB HDD cache)
NVIDIA GT 740 (OC 1149 MHz) 4GB (OC 841 MHz)
480GB SSD (120 HDD cache)
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu May 26, 2016 6:12 am UTC

Sorry, the game will not be running just yet, and when I'm ready for it I'll set up a fresh sign-up list.

As to your question:
Mikemk wrote:Clarification request:
When card sharing, are you allowed to lie?

As stated in rule 12, you cannot lie in bold type, which includes reveals and shares. The terms refer to the fact that when playing in real life you have actual cards that you literally reveal and/or swap, so it's the difference between just saying "I'm the President" and showing someone that you have the President card.
pollywog wrote:

JustDanceUnlimited

Postby JustDanceUnlimited » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:39 pm UTC

Mikemk wrote:Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr
5. Carlington
6. Chane
7. heuristically_alone
8. emlightened
9. Mikemk
10.JustDanceUnlimted

Reserves:
1. jimbobmacdoodle
2. Lokiben

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:42 pm UTC

Bearing in mind that this was a rather old thread that was necroed, just now, I'm inclined to fill the possible last (necessary?) slot...

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr
5. Carlington
6. Chane
7. heuristically_alone
8. emlightened
9. Mikemk
10.JustDanceUnlimted
11. Soupspoon

Reserves:
1. jimbobmacdoodle
2. Lokiben

(But I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the players, or even the mod, no longer willing/available/active.)

JustDanceUnlimited

Postby JustDanceUnlimited » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:49 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Bearing in mind that this was a rather old thread that was necroed, just now, I'm inclined to fill the possible last (necessary?) slot...

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr
5. Carlington
6. Chane
7. heuristically_alone
8. emlightened
9. Mikemk
10.JustDanceUnlimted
11. Soupspoon

Reserves:
1. jimbobmacdoodle
2. Lokiben

(But I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the players, or even the mod, no longer willing/available/active.)

Most probably , but if that is the case I would like to host a New 1 :)

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Wed May 10, 2017 2:46 pm UTC

Sign-ups:
1. Madge
2. mpolo
3. Snark
4. Esthr
5. Carlington
6. Chane
7. heuristically_alone
8. emlightened
9. Mikemk
10.JustDanceUnlimted