Shakespeare Mafia II - Epilogue

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 03, 2016 2:35 pm UTC

Could we get a mod-prod on freezeblade please?

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby mpolo » Tue May 03, 2016 6:41 pm UTC

A missive to the blade of frost hath been dispatchèd.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue May 03, 2016 9:01 pm UTC

Calls for an extension I would like to repeat
I like standing on my own two feet
I believe more time allows Jimbob and the prodded blade of Ice
To make considerations and vote with care. And that shall suffice.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue May 03, 2016 10:51 pm UTC

So, it has come to this. This wilt likely be mine only chance to say anything, so speak I must.

Notes:
Spoiler:
DJ: Comments on Sabrar's concern re. non-granted role claiming. Claims his own ("the Fool, Feste or Lear's man in loyalty" and Iago). Responds to Sabrar's question - would work as scum with Freezeblade, myself or possibly SirGabriel. Unsure about mass claim, but suggests claiming the play. Digs a little for info on heuristically's role. Doubts presence of lynchers. Wants to focus away from lynchers onto scum hunting. Accuses Sabrar for inconsistency in his posting style (using "we", implied as royal we when not a royal character). Defends his reasoning and says that not much else is available D1. Doesn't like focusing on a single train of thought. Switches vote to Carlington as self-protection, but still would prefer Sabrar vote. Switches heuristically_alone to protect himself. Soft-claims Puck before nightfall. Votes SirG Day 2 start initially with no explanation, but explains about redirection. Suggests there might be a vigilante still. Points out he could have been framed. Claims SirG was one of his suspects. Unvotes after freezeblade claim. Thinks two redirectors unlikely. Asks why Sabrar claimed Don John - thinks likely partner for Iago. Defends self-preservation. Does not know why he survived. Thinks a jester unlikely.

Sabrar: thinks scum might need to be more truthful than they'd like due to role-cop. Role comes from Much Ado About Nothing. Asks some questions to spark discussion. Would like a freezeblade scum partner. Thinks mass-claim early unnecessary. Suggests names don't correspond to alignment. Explains reasons behind questions. Votes DJ at day end, I think for lurking. Calls early D2 for mass-claim and claims redirector. Points out DJ had not suspected SirG previously. Concludes DJ isn't scum. Thinks those who have not claimed have good reason not to, but then calls for the vote manipulator to claim. "Explains" Don Jon claim. Discusses with Echo re. SirG's claim. Defends revealing himself.

Verily, I thought that time wouldst allow notes of all to make, but distractions hath taken their toll. I didst skim only freezeblade and Echo and barely looked at the noble knight SirGabriel. I have already explained my thinking behind why I believe freezeblade to be town, and Echo seems definitely to be seeking scum and not tunnelling too much, so I think she is also in the clear. SirG I'm less certain of, but my gut says he's ok. This hath brought me to my two lead suspects based on my earlier feelings. Following are my thoughts for the scumminess of DJ and Sabrar. I have tried to read them more fully. Time wilt tell whether my conclusions be correct.

DJ: I do not feel this man to be evil. His D1 arguments to avoid focusing on the lynchers sounded sensible, even if I ignored them. His self-defence vote on D1 is probably something I'd do as well. His second redirection ability and early vote would be rather a bold play for scum to make. On the other hand, he has contributed little in analysis of others, and seems to focus largely on a single player, so at best he is a tunnelling townie. At worst, he is active lurking scum. His claimed target with the redirect does seem quite fortunate.

Sabrar: I have noticed Sabrar to be a crafty person in previous games. His style matches my own in many ways, I feel. Normally, I'd see an early in the day claim a townie move, but I recall at least one game where he as scum claimed early in the day in an attempt to deceive people, although he was caught out on that occasion. Further, I have no idea why he would claim Don John that early. There was no particular pressure to do so, and felt like potentially an attempt to trigger a premature mass-role-claim, potentially flushing out clearly town-aligned characters (such as Brutus) so that they could be NK targets on subsequent nights. He later explained his Don John claim as being because he is that. I do not doubt that he is, yet he didn't actually explain why he made a claim at all. I can't help but feel that the claim wast made because he wanted to take the argument "look at me, I've claimed a scummy name, which clearly scum wouldn't do."

Further, on Day 1, before the discussion erupts about whether Don John is actually a villain, he subtly points out that name doesn't imply alignment, indicating that Brutus is almost certainly town aligned. This could be the first step towards defending his own position, though I admit that there are legitimate reasons for town to point this out in the same way.

Relatively early in D2, Sabrar concludes DJ is not scum, yet he hath backtracked on this for relatively weak reasons, in my mind. Indeed, none of his reasons hath been because of D2 content, from what I can tell. Why the change of mind? Methinks that this was because there was no clear further target for him to try to start a wagon on following freezeblade's claim.

Before the arrival of freezeblade today, he saith people who have not revealed their abilities probably have good reason not to. I disagree with regards to the vigilante claim, for that didst mean that it was not SirG vs DJ today, as 'twould likely have been without freezeblade's claim. Yet he calls for the vote manipulator to claim to avoid confusion. I understandest not why town would want to advertise who this may be, but I can think of a reason why scum might be scared of them. Suppose that the ability means ties are always broken in the user's favour (i.e. their vote breaks ties ahead of the standard mechanic). In that case, in a one-on-one situation, scum loseth, shouldst the vote manipulator still be alive, so killing them becometh more of a priority.

I came to this post being unsure, but now my belief stands firm. Sabrar, I do declare thee to be Iago's villainous companion:

Vote Sabrar
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue May 03, 2016 10:53 pm UTC

EBWOP: I looked again and it is clear that I missed one point regarding the vote manipulator: surely if such a person were town, wouldst they not reveal themselves if important information to share they had? Other than that, why wouldst they reveal themselves?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue May 03, 2016 11:13 pm UTC

And thus to this it now comes.
Evidence adds up in messy sums.
My suspicion of Sabrar you're all aware
And now tis time to bring them to bear.
I am a redirector, this is true.
So how is Sabrar? I haven't a clue.
And as to Don John, whether he knows it or no,
A perfect partner to Iago doth show.

You've seen this coming from afar.
I hereby place my Vote: Sabrar

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 04, 2016 4:14 am UTC

It is extremely unfortunate that jimbob made his analysis at a time where I could not respond. In case you see this before the deadline please consider these:
- why I claimed at the start of D2: this I explained here, to make the same play that lead us to victory in Wheel of Time.
- regarding 'subtly' pointing out roles and alignments do not have to match: you did the same here.
- backtracking on Djehutynakht: in the past vote-analysis proved to be much more helpful to me then anything else, therefore I placed a big emphasis on it here as well. I've changed my mine after SirGabriel's opinion here because the vote was the single thing I could find pointing to his innocence while there were a lot more that troubled me.
- vote-manipulator reveal: main reason is to confirm another Town much in the same way that the Vigilante claim did. And I think scum probably would be able to figure it out by the time it's relevant even if the person in question does not claim. Then again I generally assume that everyone playing this game is a perfect logician if with evidence pointing otherwise.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 04, 2016 7:34 am UTC

In case we do get an extension:
@Echo: would you mind replying to this post? It's really hard trying to defend myself if you do not follow up on your accusations.
@Djehutynakht: you thought me scummy because you believed my post-restriction was contradictory to my claim. After I cleared that up you never brought up any other reason for your continued suspicion, you always just refer to your initial opinion which you refuse to reconsider. Please tell me how this is in any way a townie behavior?

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed May 04, 2016 7:57 am UTC

Darkness approacheth, so quick I wilt be. In Wheel of Time, your claim 'twast very different. There your character wast likely good, and there was information that helped back up your claim. In this play, claiming hath not helped the town. Therefore, I don't see how your play ist the same.

As I highlighted in my accusation, I do agree that a townie might good reason to have such suggestions to place, and alone that point wouldst thee no scum make. It doth form but one small brick in the wall.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 04, 2016 8:17 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Therefore, I don't see how your play ist the same.

My motivation is the same, not the actual situation. Obviously I currently don't have any additional information about the setup but I'm fairly certain that you're our double-voter and Echo is probably Cop (investigating Carlington last night). And I don't mind putting this info out there as it's easily deducible by scum if true (supposing scum is not given vote-manipulation ability which again I don't see happen in such a small game). If all of us would have claimed at the beginning of the day we would have been able to do what you tried here with more success. Claiming order could have maybe screwed it up but I believe we would have had better chance.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed May 04, 2016 8:32 am UTC

Sayest thou that your claim was mostly about your role? Or about your ability? For redirectors are certainly not always town, and similarly Don Jon isn't exactly a townie character either, so I don't see how your claim would help town achieve the right decision. Indeed, were all the information available, and if perchance your statement about mine and our lady's roles are true, I still wouldn't be sure which of you, DJ and SirG were scum without looking at behaviour. At less than 50% hit rate if I were voting randomly (since I know my own alignment), I doth not see how this benefits all, in exchange for clear scum kill targets. Indeed, we canst not be certain there no more independents be either, and who knowest what their aim is, and whether it against town is?

Carest thou to explain how revealing yourself couldst have helped town?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby Echo244 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:34 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:@Echo: would you mind replying to this post? It's really hard trying to defend myself if you do not follow up on your accusations.


Apologies, found myself with less time than I'd like, particularly last night. I've been putting some bits together in draft, apologies if not yet complete.

Sabrar wrote:I was not talking about my early 'concerns' (which were voiced in the open). I was talking about how on D2 I need not have revealed Don John as I could be reasonably certain that we don't have a role-cop and could instead have pretended to be someone else.


True; your revelation was after the declaration, though you noted your concern much earlier. So... why claim? I've got to admit, claiming a blackened name when concerned about a rolecop makes sense. Claiming it when "reasonably certain" of no role cop makes less. If you're town (hypothetically), it's just going to draw more suspicion to you, harming your cause. If you're not town... likewise. I don't understand how your claim helps anyone, apart from (a) offering information, and (b) the whole role-cop thing, which don't (in my view) overcome the problem of the name involved muddying the waters.

Sabrar wrote:At this point I'm not sure whether you simply fail to consider the logic behind my words or are deliberately trying to build a case against me for tomorrow.


I'm trying to build a case against you for *today*. I'm not voting Dje while building foundations for tomorrow. I think we have one mafia player remaining. I think you're that player. Hence, vote.

Sabrar wrote:You seem to have started with the assumption that I'm scum purely on flavor-based reasons while we don't even know your role or jimbob's or freezeblade's.


I may not claim. freezeblade killed Carlington, unless (a) he's lying and (b) (someone else has kill powers) or (Dje redirecting SirG was the kill method) (and only one remaining scum, plus our limited numbers, makes evaluating all that to "true" unlikely). Or maybe he just murdered a scumbuddy because that's a nice variation on bussing them. jimbob's participation has been limited, but not scummy, and to my eye, he has seemed positive.

My assessment of you is based on your vote for Dje and yet persistent efforts to widen the circle of suspicion for tomorrow. There's one scum left, and they need to do a whole lot to get a second candidate for a lynch. You're the only one doing this. Everyone else seems to be looking at you or Dje, more or less, after a quick glance round the rest of the field. Neither of you seem disposed to take one for the team win. But you're the one pointing fingers elsewhere while pre-emptive-OMGUS-voting Dje.

And, yes, if we add in flavour, then Don John is the most likely character we've heard of to have been working with Iago. But this is far from about flavour alone, and it does you ill to characterise it as such.

Sabrar wrote:Furthermore someone among us is Brutus, probably Town but you continue to disregard that as well.


Yes, I disregard that. The wording of the role of Hamlet says "All threats to town, plus Marcus Brutus". Thus, not a threat to Town. You seeking to play this up is but another thread.

Sabrar wrote:The 'threads' you mentioned I already answered but there's no reaction from you, seemingly content to just let it lie. You treat my scum-hunting as creating fog and use your language ('And yet, and yet') to justify finding a reason to discard my explanations.


Either your "scum-hunting" lacks focus or your vote for Dje lacks conviction. So many things you try to maintain other possibilities - SirG, jimbob, myself, even the noble freezeblade (though now you've posted some more content that's painting people as town) - and yet (, and yet) these other possibilities you seek to push reach for unlikely (yet not quite eliminated) cases, when your behaviour represents a much stronger case. We have one scum left. Why vote for today and build for tomorrow, when (if we get it right) but this day remains?

Ninja'd by jimbob picking up the same point about the Don John claim not helping town.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 04, 2016 8:41 am UTC

Echo244 wrote:Yes, I disregard that. The wording of the role of Hamlet says "All threats to town, plus Marcus Brutus". Thus, not a threat to Town. You seeking to play this up is but another thread.

ARGH. That was my exact point. Brutus, despite being a traitor is Town this game. I'm Don John, villainous role but also Town. So your flavor-based argument simply does not hold up.
Will react later to the rest but had to get this out of my system.

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby Echo244 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:50 am UTC

I think we have different perceptions of Brutus' character. In turning against his friend Caesar, he was convinced to act not for his own ends, but for the good of Rome, by the properly evil Cassius. He's more of a tragic figure than a villain.

Don John is just a plain-dealing villain.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 04, 2016 8:54 am UTC

Echo244 wrote:True; your revelation was after the declaration, though you noted your concern much earlier.
You continue to use the word 'concern' when it was simply an explanation to your own comment. I also agreed to do it immediately and it boggles my mind how you see that as suspicious.

Echo244 wrote:There's one scum left, and they need to do a whole lot to get a second candidate for a lynch. You're the only one doing this.
Yesterday Djehutynakht first voted for me, then Carlington, then alone, all without any valid reasons. Today he started out voting SirGabriel, now votes me. Who knows who he will attack tomorrow? What I'm trying to say is that scum doesn't need to build his next case today, he can easily tunnel someone along with the rest of Town.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 04, 2016 9:02 am UTC

Final point about claiming:
I asked for a mass-claim because of reasons explained above and simply thought everyone would agree. It would have been silly not to start it myself. Also for the life of me I don't understand this comment:
Echo244 wrote:Ninja'd by jimbob picking up the same point about the Don John claim not helping town.

How is any claim not helping Town? It provides information about the player that can be later used to determine his alignment/figure out the setup.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed May 04, 2016 9:35 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:Final point about claiming:
I asked for a mass-claim because of reasons explained above and simply thought everyone would agree. It would have been silly not to start it myself. Also for the life of me I don't understand this comment:
Echo244 wrote:Ninja'd by jimbob picking up the same point about the Don John claim not helping town.

How is any claim not helping Town? It provides information about the player that can be later used to determine his alignment/figure out the setup.

But surely my friend, if thou beest town, claiming something that makes you look scummy ist a poor decision, for it focuses thoughts on you and not one who shouldst be our target? So no, there are times that claiming is a poor decision for town.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 04, 2016 9:37 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Indeed, were all the information available, and if perchance your statement about mine and our lady's roles are true, I still wouldn't be sure which of you, DJ and SirG were scum without looking at behaviour.
Assuming you, Echo and freezeblade are Town, I guessed your roles right and freezeblade is telling the truth about not being a Vigilante anymore. Plan for 100% Town win:
1. Lynch SirGabriel.
2. I state that my action will be to redirect Djehutynakht to Echo.
3. He in turn states that he will redirect me to freezeblade.
4. See who dies during the night if game is not over.
5. You're still alive with a doublevote to protect against a potential independent.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 04, 2016 9:40 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:But surely my friend, if thou beest town, claiming something that makes you look scummy ist a poor decision, for it focuses thoughts on you and not one who shouldst be our target? So no, there are times that claiming is a poor decision for town.

Claiming Miller is usually best done immediately. Might I remind you of mpolo in Wheel of Time? This is a similar situation.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed May 04, 2016 9:52 am UTC

Thou plan ist flawed. What if thou art scum and hast a roleblock, like Liandrin in Wheel of Time, but could also kill? We knoweth not the order of action resolution, so thou couldst chance a block of DJ and kill Echo. Then, if thy roleblock wast first, DJ's redirection happeneth not, Echo dies, and it looks like DJ killed her. This is but one case, other reasonable problems there could be too.

By thine own argument about millers, then, why didst thou not claim on D1?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 04, 2016 11:01 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:By thine own argument about millers, then, why didst thou not claim on D1?

Originally assumed roles would be distributed randomly. Didn't reevaluate situation after mod post. Assumed people would be less focused on flavor.

Regarding plan: didn't list all assumptions due to limit. Assuming SirGabriel speaks the truth I believe scum must have some kind of unblockable kill as I never saw a game where they didn't have any means to get rid of a Bulletproof townie. Can't be roleblock. Huge assumption I know, feels logical.

User avatar
SirGabriel
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Act II, Scene I (Day)

Postby SirGabriel » Wed May 04, 2016 11:22 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:Assuming SirGabriel speaks the truth I believe scum must have some kind of unblockable kill as I never saw a game where they didn't have any means to get rid of a Bulletproof townie.

I spoke the truth, just not the whole truth, as at the time it seemed not helpful to town to do so. I am depressed, since the war I am fighting has lasted so long, and so I can only fight off killers for the first two nights of the game before I become too depressed to fight back.
I highly doubt scum has a kill that cannot be blocked.

User avatar
mpolo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm UTC
Location: Germany

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Epilogue

Postby mpolo » Wed May 04, 2016 12:31 pm UTC

CHORUS:
O pardon, gentles all, methinks this day
Hath gone beyond his fore-alotted stay.

AJAX:
Methinks the mummy is bad. Bad, bad mummy!

DON JOHN:
Indeed. The mummy. String him up. Surely he is the bad one here!

MARCUS BRUTUS:
Friends, countrymen, and lovers! The Aragonean must die! Bury Don John, not the Pharaoh!

PUCK:
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall Don John now end!

DON JOHN:
The mummy came first, he must be killed! The rules do command it!

Marcus Brutus slips the noose around Don John's neck

DON JOHN:
Et tu, Brute? Then fall, bastard!

DON JOHN dies.

Enter TITUS ANDRONICUS and ARIEL.

TITUS and ARIEL:
Freedom! Tyranny is Ended!

All do happily ever after live.

SABRAR was a Mafia member with a one-time unblockable kill.
The mafia has been eliminated. Town and the two survivors win!


Sorry about the imbalance in the setup — I would have guessed that it was weighted against town though, and town won, so I guess I can't complain.

All role PMs:

Spoiler:
Sir Gabriel

You are Ajax.

This man, lady, hath robbed many beasts of their
particular additions; he is as valiant as the lion,
churlish as the bear, slow as the elephant: a man
into whom nature hath so crowded humours that his
valour is crushed into folly, […]
he is melancholy without cause, and merry against the hair.


You are the mightiest of the Greek heroes, but somewhat slow of thought. This war has gone on too long, so that you are depressed.

Posting restriction: Because you are not the brightest person, you may not use words longer than 2 syllables, unless they are names. Ajax in the play uses approximately 10 3-syllable words, so you can make a total of 10 exceptions to this rule in the course of the game.

Power: You are immune to killing powers in the night, unless either two powers are directed at you on the same night, or the same power is directed at you two nights in a row. However, if you are targeted by no killing powers for three nights in a row, you become depressed and lose this power for the rest of the game.

Alignment: You are town. You win when all threats to town have been eliminated.

jimbobmacdoodle

You are Marcus Brutus.

Romans, countrymen, and lovers! hear me for my
cause, and be silent, that you may hear: believe me
for mine honour, and have respect to mine honour, that
you may believe: censure me in your wisdom, and
awake your senses, that you may the better judge.
If there be any in this assembly, any dear friend of
Caesar's, to him I say, that Brutus' love to Caesar
was no less than his. If then that friend demand
why Brutus rose against Caesar, this is my answer:
—Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved
Rome more.


The noblest of the conspirators against Caesar, everything you do is for the good of Rome. However, you are jealous of Hamlet, who has many more lines than you do.

Post restriction:

Power: You want to restore the republic. As such, you know all the tricks to making votes go your way. You may, via PM ask me to make your vote secretly count double (if you change the vote after that point, it will count singly from that time on).

Alignment: You are town, provided that Hamlet dies before you. You win when all threats to town, plus Hamlet, have been eliminated.

Echo244

You are Ariel, airy spirit, once a slave of Prospero.

Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell


A spirit of air and fire, freed by Prospero when he left the island. By becoming one with the air, you can observe others with impunity. You are still embarrassed for having fallen into slavery not once but twice.

Post restriction: You must post the words of a song at least once per game day. Extra credit for composing it yourself. :-)

Power: You are a standard cop. You send me a name each night and receive the alignment (town/scum/indie). Due to your embarassment, however, you may NOT claim to be a cop or claim your results. You may breadcrumb results, but not directly tell how to read the breadcrumb.

Alignment: You are town. You win when all threats to town have been eliminated.


Sabrar

You are Don John.

LEONATO: Was not Count John here at supper?

ANTONIO: I saw him not.

BEATRICE: How tartly that gentleman looks! I can never see him but I
am heartburned an hour after.

HERO: He is of a very melancholy disposition.


A plain-dealing villain, you simply want to eliminate the town as soon as possible. After your ploys against Don Pedro failed, you are furious.

Post restriction: You are very terse in your speech. You can not make any single post longer than ten lines. Of course, you can double-post to (mostly) get around this.

Power: As a member of the mafia, you have night chat with Carlington (Iago). Together you decide on a person to kill. Once in the game, the kill will be unblockable if you carry it out.

Alignment: You are a member of the mafia. You win if you eliminate all members of the town and any threats to the mafia, or when this is inevitable.

Bonus Information: There are no characters from the plays Richard II, Henry IV, Parts I and II, or Henry V in the game. Use this information as you will.


Carlington

You are Iago, trusted lieutenant of the Moor of Venice.


But for my sport and profit. I hate the Moor,
And it is thought abroad that 'twixt my sheets
He has done my office. I know not if 't be true,
But I, for mere suspicion in that kind,
Will do as if for surety.


Your hatred for the Moor and his favoured Michael Cassio is the stuff of legend. Of course, you've already taken care of them, so you've set your eye on bigger things. You are ecstatic about this.

Post restriction: You should make ample use of adjectives that can be described as ecstatic. At the least once every 2-3 posts.

Power: As a member of the mafia, you have night chat with Sabrar (Don John). Together you decide on a person to kill and who is to carry out the kill. In addition, on one night you may plant evidence against one player. If they are investigated that night, the result will be adjusted accordingly.

Alignment: You are a member of the mafia. You win if you eliminate all members of the town and any threats to the mafia, or when this is inevitable.

Bonus Information: There are no characters from the plays Richard II, Henry IV, Parts I and II, or Henry V in the game. Use this information as you will.

heuristically_alone

You are Hamlet, Prince of Denmark.

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and, by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, ’tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish’d. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there’s the rub.


The death of your noble father has driven you to take arms against the evil men and women in this play. However, you are envious of Marcus Brutus, who got a much more rousing sendoff in his play. Good night sweet prince, indeed!

Post restriction: You cannot escape being the tragic hero. As a result, you will always include at least two lines of iambic pentameter in each of your posts. There is, however, no requirement that these lines be original.

Power: By playing the madman you are able to closely observe the actions of others. You may track one player each night to determine what other players he or she has visited.

Alignment: You are town, provided that Marcus Brutus dies before you. You win when all threats to town, plus Marcus Brutus, have been eliminated.


freezeblade

You are Titus Andronicus, general searching for revenge.

Vengeance is in my heart, death in my hand, Blood and revenge are hammering in my head.

All of these people have wronged you. You will end the suffering or die trying. Of course, the rousing success of your previous efforts have left you with a spot of hubris.

Post restriction: You must make „Asides“ at least 1–2 times per game day, indicating your true thoughts about something else you have said. To do this, simply type „Aside:“ and then put the content in a spoiler. Since anybody could overhear these asides, of course, you will need to use this restriction cleverly. The spirit of the thing, though, is that you are giving some true information to the audience that you didn't give in your post. The main thing is to have fun with it, of course.

Power: You may kill one player every odd-numbered night.

Alignment: You are a sort-of serial killer. You win if you survive to the end.

Bonus information: No characters from Henry VI, Parts I, II and III or Richard III are in this game. Use this information as you will.


Djehutynakht

You are Puck, spirit of mischief.

And the country proverb known,
That every man should take his own,
In your waking shall be shown.
Jack shall have Jill;
Nought shall go ill;
The man shall have his mare again, and all shall be well.


Your service to Oberon has led you to this enchanted grove. These mortals will serve meet food for your fun. Though there are so many iron weapons here, that you have become somewhat afraid.

Post restriction: You delight in rhymes, and should try to build them into your posts as much as possible. (Don't do it more than is fun for you, obviously.)

Power: You may target two players each night. The first person's action (if any) will be instead carried out on the second, rather than his chosen target.

Alignment: You are only interested in survival. You win if alive until the end.
Image <-- Evil experiment

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Epilogue

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 04, 2016 12:43 pm UTC

Congrats to Town! Off to read spoilers, thoughts to follow.

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Epilogue

Postby Echo244 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:52 pm UTC

<Applauds all>

I'd concur about a balance against Town - Survivor, somewhat-SK, two Town players gunning for each other and the two Mafia was quite a stack. It came out incredibly well for Town though - either freezeblade's kill pre-empting the Mafia kill N1 or their kill hitting bulletproof SirG, followed by Sabrar getting leapt on by several people D2 meant that the Mafia never actually managed to kill anyone. ;-D

One last song:

♪♫
Where do we go from here
Where do we go from here

The battle's done,
And we kinda won.
So we sound our victory cheer.
Where do we go from here.

Why is the path unclear,
When we know home is near.
Understand we'll go hand in hand,
But we'll walk alone in fear. (Tell me)
Tell me where do we go from here.

When does the end appear,
(Bugger this.)
When do the trumpets cheer.
The curtain's close, on a kiss god knows,
We can tell the end is near...
♫♪
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Epilogue

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 04, 2016 1:12 pm UTC

My 3 choices: Brutus, Iago, Don John with the hashtag #wannabescum thrown in for fun. Never thought alignments wouldn't be distributed randomly.
Original plan was to claim Richard II as a Jailer (flavor: exiling people). Got scared of role-cop, went for safer option. Thought Doctor/Roleblocker was likely, never considered Bulletproof.
Had terrible N1, completely misread the setup and went for the wrong gambit too early. Thought Tracker would likely be able to corroborate my claim, didn't notice that he already died. :oops: Claimed Don John to explain potential cop-result as hidden Miller.
So SirGabriel was still lying about his immunity, freezeblade wasn't Vigilante and Djehutynakht was independent as well? I'll never try to guess another closed setup ever again...

@mpolo: Thanks for the game, was a lot of fun! Regarding balance it was basically down to the independents as they had the strongest powers.

@Djehutynakht
Spoiler:
For future reference, I tend to post in Gojoe a lot, regardless of alignment. Check e.g. Wheel of Time for reference.

@jimbob
Spoiler:
If I'm right about Sabrar, he should fear my ability to scum hunt him! Pretty sure this would be a 100% record on detecting Sabrar as scum across multiple games (admittedly, unchecked, and probably wrong!)

I think you were 50-50 before this game, you got me in Pokemon but not in Alternating 9P. Granted I killed you there N1 so you had less time.

@SirGabriel
Spoiler:
I highly doubt scum has a kill that cannot be blocked.

I lol'd so hard. :)

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Epilogue

Postby Echo244 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:38 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Congrats to Town! Off to read spoilers, thoughts to follow.


Similarly.

Sabrar wrote:Dammit, Echo is too good, almost everything she just said is true.


<Curtseys to the kind gentleman>
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

User avatar
SirGabriel
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Epilogue

Postby SirGabriel » Wed May 04, 2016 2:19 pm UTC

Five factions in an 8-player game? And it's just a coincidence that scum tried to kill me and DJ redirected me to Carlington and Carlington died all on the same night? That was unexpected.

Sabrar wrote:So SirGabriel was still lying about his immunity

I was hoping to make myself the N3 target. Your post gave me an excuse to reveal that particular bit of misinformation.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Epilogue

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed May 04, 2016 3:01 pm UTC

Yeah, go us! Though four independents in an 8 player game, even if two were somewhat town aligned :shock:

I'd figured that heuristically_alone was my target basically after his first post, and a lyncher for me on the second post, hence the "let's deal with the lyncher" train of thought. In the back of my mind, I'd been considering all sorts of crazy strategies of what to do to persuade town to lynch him on a later day, with crazy survivor fake claims and kill-immunity both entering consideration for me.

More comments to come later maybe but I spotted these Gojoe posts:
Sabrar wrote:I'm Don John, pretending to be King Richard II. My partner is once again Carlington, hopefully we'll have more time to chat this game.
I think Carlington should blame you for cursing him Sabrar :P
Also this post made my chuckle, especially given Sabrar's comments above:
Sabrar wrote:Still, 2 scum plus a Lyncher would be a very strange setup
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Epilogue

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed May 04, 2016 5:17 pm UTC

Forgot to mention this earlier, but thank you mpolo for running the game. I think the setup should have led to a comfortable scum victory, if freezeblade had killed town N1. Indeed, at game start, town had only two definite members and two partial members. If there'd been early claims from the two survivors, who knows what could have happened?

I'm really glad I didn't misinterpret heuristically_alone's claim. Had I done so, I'd have felt really bad about lynching him, since my double vote did it. I hope they come back for more despitey hand of friendship followed by turning around and stabbing him. Actually, that last part was unintentionally very in character!

Fun game. Would play again.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Epilogue

Postby Echo244 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:04 pm UTC

Yes indeed, thanks to mpolo for running this game, would play again. Also thanks to the players, would join you again.

The stack of non-town types made it tough - a massively fortunate outcome for town - but it was very much Shakespearean. Intrigue, plots, jealousies, and few happy endings that could be reached. Thematic if challenging. It would have been good to have seen a larger game, really, with more space for these plots to play out, or more of them capable of resolving themselves apart from the standard town/mafia divide.

Oh, and I rather enjoyed looking at the role PMs and seeing that in Sabrar's was that very "plain-dealing villain" line I quoted at him. ;-D

One final note - the emotions were an interesting twist, though I found being unable to claim... well, in one sense it was probably good for me, guiding me in to a better playstyle than just claiming (and swiftly getting murdered, though Sabrar was more worried about the vig than the cop). On the other... I was Ariel! *So* many ways to paint myself as incredibly powerful and more terrifying to pick on than the Flying Pumpkin That Shoots Laser Beams Out Of Its Arse...
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

User avatar
heuristically_alone
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:43 pm UTC
Location: 37.2368078 and -115.80341870000001

Re: Shakespeare Mafia II - Epilogue

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu May 05, 2016 6:14 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'm really glad I didn't misinterpret heuristically_alone's claim. Had I done so, I'd have felt really bad about lynching him, since my double vote did it. I hope they come back for more despitey hand of friendship followed by turning around and stabbing him. Actually, that last part was unintentionally very in character!


Nice job interpreting me. I look back and I probably shouldn't have hinted so much as to who I was so early. Oh well It was fun! Oh, and I wouldn't have felt bad if I had the chance to stab you in the back ;)
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Madge and 16 guests