Impromptu Mafia - Day 4 - GOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

SirGabriel

Re: Impromptu Mafia - Day 1 - The Fall of Dirk Klop

Postby SirGabriel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:26 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Votals:

None

heury and Lawrencelot both have standing votes (I'm assuming they were jokes, but they still count).

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:48 pm UTC

Whoops, my mistake. Thankyou!

Votals:

heuristically_alone (1) - Lawrencelot
sabrar (1) - heuristically_alone
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:51 am UTC

I was very surprised to see that 4 players claimed to receive their role and 4 didn't. I find it highly improbable. It is more likely that 2, maybe even 4, players are lying about whether or not they receives their claimed roles. Moody was last to claim, so it is possible that Moody lied about receiving their role, just to make it match 4 and 4.

If we assume everyone is telling the truth, then that makes either Matt, mpolo, or sirgabriel the only possible candidates to be jester (unless more than one person submitted the jester role)
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:04 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I was very surprised to see that 4 players claimed to receive their role and 4 didn't. I find it highly improbable. It is more likely that 2, maybe even 4, players are lying about whether or not they receives their claimed roles. Moody was last to claim, so it is possible that Moody lied about receiving their role, just to make it match 4 and 4.

If we assume everyone is telling the truth, then that makes either Matt, mpolo, or sirgabriel the only possible candidates to be jester (unless more than one person submitted the jester role)

I misunderstood the rules, I thought it was guaranteed that exactly half of the players would receive their own roles. So it is possible that multiple people are lying about whether they received the role they submitted, but I still think it's unlikely.
Also, you're forgetting the possibility that there is no jester in the game (either because Sabrar lied or because Madge replaced that role with something else).

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:10 am UTC

SirGabriel wrote:Also, you're forgetting the possibility that there is no jester in the game (either because Sabrar lied or because Madge replaced that role with something else).

While this may be true, I also suspect this to be a plausible argument the jester himself would likely point out.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:20 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I was very surprised to see that 4 players claimed to receive their role and 4 didn't. I find it highly improbable.

Madge wrote:50% of people will have the role they submit. 50% of people will get someone else's role. This is chosen by straight coin flip; so with 8 players it's possible that 0 or 8 people have the role they submitted.

The way I understand this is that Madge flipped a coin independently for each of us. In that case the most likely outcome would be the exact half-half split. So I'm once again befuddled by the math heuristically_alone seems to be using.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:39 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
heuristically_alone wrote:I was very surprised to see that 4 players claimed to receive their role and 4 didn't. I find it highly improbable.

Madge wrote:50% of people will have the role they submit. 50% of people will get someone else's role. This is chosen by straight coin flip; so with 8 players it's possible that 0 or 8 people have the role they submitted.

The way I understand this is that Madge flipped a coin independently for each of us. In that case the most likely outcome would be the exact half-half split. So I'm once again befuddled by the math heuristically_alone seems to be using.

70/256 isn't too good of odds, even if the other possible outcomes are less likely, but math literacy isn't a good way of distinguishing between town and scum.

As for what I submitted, it was a non-mafia anti-town role, with active day and night powers, and that is also lovers, I was hoping someone would admit to being paired with them without making this explicit, so as to avoid dealing with the potential for a possible jester to be claiming it instead, but if it turns out that no one is lovers, then we don't need to worry about it or the specifics of the role.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:32 am UTC

Madge confirmed in PM that my submitted role was interpreted as town (as was any role where it wasn't explicitly stated).

That we have a 4-4 split is not all that unusual. It's the most likely of the various unlikely events that could have occurred, and with a sample size of 1, we're pretty much in the air anyway. I wonder how the extreme case of exactly one person not receiving his own role would have been handled, but that's neither here nor there.

In all of this, we haven't really been considering that 50% probability that the roles were thrown away and replaced by a Madge-created role, which means that also the people who have confirmed not receiving their own roles may have simply received a Madge role, rather than that their role was passed on to someone else. So we might not be 4-4 own-passed on, despite the claims.

This is giving me headaches because we don't have enough information to ascertain who got what, except for the four that got their own. I keep thinking I figured something out, then realizing that the Madge wildcard would account for what I was thinking…

So, I don't think we're going to get a whole lot more out of the probabilistic line of arguments, at least until we've seen some flips.
Image <-- Evil experiment

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:47 pm UTC

I got the same response as mpolo, and am therefore definitely Town (though obviously from everyone else's point of view I could be lying).

I think it's helpful knowing what sort of anti-town roles we might be facing.

@matt, (and anyone else who didn't receive their submitted role, and who submitted a non-town role), would you care to elaborate what you submitted please.

Importantly, only one role could be a role that wasn't submitted, so if everyone who didn't keep their role were to claim their submission, we could potentially compare that to the claims people make about their role and flush out lying scum. However, I'm not sure whether it would be good for people to claim what town roles they submitted as it might give too much info to scum. Any thoughts anyone?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:57 pm UTC

Votals:

Day 1 ends in 39 hours.

Remember this is pseudo-nightless so I would appreciate you sending your actions in before nightfall so we can go straight to Day 2.

Also, I added this to the rules in the OP as I realised I didn't do anything about actions:

Actions:
1. Submit night actions before night is declared to speed things along by keeping the nights as short as possible.
2. If you do not submit a night action, your action will be used on another player selected at random.
3. Any day actions are optional.
4. All chat is daychat.
5. Actions will be resolved in the order the mod thinks makes the most sense at the time; kills will be the very last thing processed.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:13 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Importantly, only one role could be a role that wasn't submitted, so if everyone who didn't keep their role were to claim their submission, we could potentially compare that to the claims people make about their role and flush out lying scum.

I'm not eager to claim my role but I suppose I'm not alone in this. Anyway who would claim to have received Jester in your opinon? Nobody. So even if there's a discrepancy you can't be sure that the player is scum. Also how will you decide in which order we should claim? What is the guarantee that scum is not among those who 'conveniently' claimed to have received their own submitted roles? In that case all this would do is to reveal our powers.
Summary: way too many things could go wrong with this plan.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:41 pm UTC

Sorry, that was unclear of me. I meant people should claim roles they submitted (e.g. like you have claimed to submit jester), then when people eventually claim their own roles in subsequent days, we can use this information somehow. I certainly agree that there could be people lying amongst those who kept their roles (or claimed to), and that there may not be anybody lying amongst those who didn't keep roles.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:22 pm UTC

This is all very interesting. Extending jimbob's summary:

Summary of claims so far:
Sabrar - submitted jester, got non-jester Town role
matt - did not keep role, submitted an antitown but not mafia lover with active day and night powers.
heuristically_alone - kept role with same alignment
Lawrencelot - kept role with same alignment
SirGabriel - did not keep role, submitted third-party, received third-party whose win condition is linked to another player who will get a power when he targets SirGabriel
mpolo - did not keep role
jimbobmacdoodle - kept Town role
moody - kept role with same alignment

Important question to Moody and heuristically_alone: did you submit a town role?

Keeping my vote for now until I receive an answer.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:27 pm UTC

Claiming all the submitted roles would have been a great idea before people claimed whether they received their own roles back. However I agree that anyone who claimed differently should reveal their submitted roles, for example it would be very nice to know what kind of anti-town role matt came up with.
In fact I currently don't see any disadvantage in sharing this information, so I would like to ask SirGabriel, matt96 and mpolo to reveal their submitted roles.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:33 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:Madge confirmed in PM that my submitted role was interpreted as town (as was any role where it wasn't explicitly stated).

Lawrencelot wrote:Important question to Moody and heuristically_alone: did you submit a town role?

Summary of claims so far:
Sabrar - submitted jester, got non-jester Town role
matt - did not keep role, submitted a serial killer lover with vote buy and roleblock.
heuristically_alone - kept role with same alignment
Lawrencelot - kept role with same alignment
SirGabriel - did not keep role, submitted third-party, received third-party whose win condition is linked to another player who will get a power when he targets SirGabriel
mpolo - did not keep role, submitted role that would work for any faction, interpreted as town
jimbobmacdoodle - kept Town role
moody - kept role with same alignment

I'd rather mpolo not reveal too much more about the role he submitted, as I believe I received it.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:37 pm UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:Important question to Moody and heuristically_alone: did you submit a town role?

Based on your summary, it appears that you also have yet to answer that question.

Sabrar wrote:Claiming all the submitted roles would have been a great idea before people claimed whether they received their own roles back. However I agree that anyone who claimed differently should reveal their submitted roles, for example it would be very nice to know what kind of anti-town role matt came up with.
In fact I currently don't see any disadvantage in sharing this information, so I would like to ask SirGabriel, matt96 and mpolo to reveal their submitted roles.

I was hoping to save this information in case whoever got the role I submitted made the obvious falseclaim, but I guess there's not much point in withholding it any longer.
I submitted a role of my own invention, which I called Witch Doctor. It's essentially a serial killer with a delayed kill: whoever the Witch Doctor targets on night N will be protected from all nightkills on night N but then will die on night N+1 (unless the Witch Doctor visits the same person again on night N+1, in which case the target will die the night after the Witch Doctor stops visiting them). Oh, and it's also a godfather (appears as Town to cops and Doctor to role cops), and while it can be roleblocked, its targets cannot be saved by a doctor (no matter which night the doctor targets them).

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:39 pm UTC

matt96 wrote:matt - did not keep role, submitted a serial killer lover with vote buy and roleblock.

Could you clarify exactly what the role you submitted does? In particular, did you explicitly state that both lovers are aware that they are lovers?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:45 pm UTC

matt96 wrote:matt - did not keep role, submitted a serial killer lover with vote buy and roleblock.

How does that work?

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:58 pm UTC

I literally just took my role from viewtopic.php?f=53&t=83476 and replaced cult leader with serial killer, Vote buy works in that a pm can be sent to the mod during the day phase to make any other player vote for a player of the vote buyer's choosing. Given the no hidden aspects to roles rule and that both lovers are normally aware of each other, I am confident that if my role was included, the lover should know that they are the lover, despite me not having specified in the PM that both lovers would be aware of each other.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:11 pm UTC

SirGabriel wrote:

Based on your summary, it appears that you also have yet to answer that question.

Indeed I do. Would you prefer I answer my own question before they answer it? Because I don't.

So if we have lovers, one of them is a serial killer with vote buy and roleblock. And the probability we have this is 50%, am I correct?

Actually, I interpreted one rule differently at first, so let me confirm:
There's a 50% chance of a submitted role being replaced with a role chosen by the mod at random, so not all roles are guaranteed.

Mod: is the above rule the case for every submitted role, for every submitted role that was given to another player, for one role out of all submitted roles, or for one of the roles given to another player?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:12 pm UTC

@Madge: will a potential vote buy be reflected in the votals?

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:14 pm UTC

Now that everyone who claimed not to have received the role they submitted has claimed what they submitted, a couple of conclusions:

I believe that my role was created by Madge. I have no proof of this, but the fact that no one claimed to submit the role I now have, together with the way my role interacts with another role, gives me a high degree of confidence in this conclusion.

At least one of matt and Sabrar is lying. I can't prove that from publicly available information, but I can prove from publicly available information that at least one of matt, Sabrar, and myself is lying (given the assumption that everyone is telling the truth about whether they received the same role they submitted):
If matt and Sabrar did not both receive town roles, then at least one of them is lying about being town.
If matt and Sabrar both received town roles, and I am telling the truth about submitting a third-party role, and Madge did not submit a town role, then either matt or Sabrar submitted a town role and lied about it.
If matt and Sabrar both received town roles, and the three of us are all telling the truth about the roles we submitted, and Madge did submit a town role, then I received a role submitted by either matt or Sabrar and therefore I am lying.
If matt and Sabrar both received town roles, and they are both telling the truth about the roles they submitted, and Madge did not submit a town role, then I submitted a town role and therefore I am lying.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:24 pm UTC

Currently don't have the time to look at every single scenario, but why don't you include the possibility of someone lying about having received their own role?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:47 pm UTC

Matt, could you confirm the win condition of your submitted role, please.

I was under the impression that no more than one role was replaced, based on Madge's original comments, but might be mistaken. Assuming nobody is lying about receiving their own role, SirG's logic is ok. However, as Sabrar pointed out, this doesn't prove that the four of us who claimed to keep a role are telling the truth. In particular, a person who received an anti-town role could have lied and can safely claim pretty much anything. I don't think there's much info we can gain there until actions are resolved.

One thing I think we can say is that with at least two claims of Serial Killer submissions we do have at least one person town needs to eliminate, ruling out victory through No Lynch. This assumes only one role at most was replaced. Of course there could be others.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:57 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Currently don't have the time to look at every single scenario, but why don't you include the possibility of someone lying about having received their own role?

For some reason I was thinking that there would have to be an even number of people who received there own role, which would mean multiple people would have had to lie about whether they received their own role if anyone had lied, but on further consideration that's not the case (nothing prevents 3 people receiving their own roles and the remaining roles being shuffled around among the other 5).
So why would someone lie about whether they received the role they submitted? I can't think of any reason why someone would say they received a different role when they actually received their own, but it's certainly possible that someone said they received their own role when they actually didn't in order to draw less attention to themselves (since we can attempt to piece together information about those who traded roles but have little to go on concerning those who didn't.
In conclusion, my assumption was flawed.
So, we have to add the phrase "and everyone is telling the truth about whether they received their submitted role" to each line in the argument in my last post, and then add one final line:
If matt and Sabrar both received town roles, and the three of us are all telling the truth about the roles we submitted, and Madge did not submit a town role, then someone who claimed to receive the role they submitted actually submitted a town role and received a different role.
Which leaves us with a very unhelpful conclusion: at least one of matt, Sabrar, myself, heury, Lawrencelot, jimbob, and moody is lying.

Short version: ignore my previous post, it was based on a flawed assumption and completely falls apart without that assumption.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:58 pm UTC

The win condition for the role I submitted is similar to that of a one person mafia faction, as madge had first interpreted it to be last man standing, but that wouldn't work with having a lover, although the way I wrote it out, a permanent stale mate could also be counted as a win.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:08 pm UTC

From the sign-up thread:
Madge wrote:Any role that specifies another role will exist will have that facet added to an existing role, chosen randomly so e.g. your lover might not even be on your side, nor might your mason buddies. That said if two people pick lover for example, they will be assigned to each other; if three people pick lover they'll be in a likely very doomed polyamorous triad.

So if matt's role is in the game then there should be another Lover as well. With at least 2 SK submitted (at least claimed) it is entirely possible that Madge replaced that one with another for balance reasons if the 50% chance came up.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:44 pm UTC

My role is town aligned.

Sabrar wrote:

To clarify, it isn't the having of 50/50 players claiming to have their roles vs not have their roles to be improbable, but the fact that all players were telling the truth to be improbable, but I also did not have the assumption that madge would flip a coin for such that each individual player had a 50% of keeping their role or not.

Anyhow, 3 of the players that did not keep their role have already claimed the roles they submitted (all independent alignments haha). While it may not be necessary for mpolo to claim his submitted role, I think mpolo should at least claim the alignment of that role. It would be nice to know how many independent roles we could potentially have, or maybe even mafia.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:47 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:Anyhow, 3 of the players that did not keep their role have already claimed the roles they submitted (all independent alignments haha). While it may not be necessary for mpolo to claim his submitted role, I think mpolo should at least claim the alignment of that role. It would be nice to know how many independent roles we could potentially have, or maybe even mafia.

mpolo already claimed that he submitted a town role.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:50 pm UTC

Yes, you are right. My bad. :oops:
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:12 pm UTC

SirGabriel wrote:I believe that my role was created by Madge. I have no proof of this, but the fact that no one claimed to submit the role I now have, together with the way my role interacts with another role, gives me a high degree of confidence in this conclusion.

On further thought I don't like this statement for meta-reasons. I find it highly unlikely that Madge would create a complicated 3rd party role, it is much more likely that she would try to balance the game by adjusting either the number of Town or scum. This feeling is based on how I perceived Madge to approach this game and previous communications I had with her.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:23 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
SirGabriel wrote:I believe that my role was created by Madge. I have no proof of this, but the fact that no one claimed to submit the role I now have, together with the way my role interacts with another role, gives me a high degree of confidence in this conclusion.

On further thought I don't like this statement for meta-reasons. I find it highly unlikely that Madge would create a complicated 3rd party role, it is much more likely that she would try to balance the game by adjusting either the number of Town or scum. This feeling is based on how I perceived Madge to approach this game and previous communications I had with her.

I don't think it's a very complicated role - it's certainly much less complicated than the roles matt and I submitted. And it is a role that potentially makes sense in terms of balancing the game.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:05 pm UTC

Yes, it was a town role I submitted. But you should have already known I would claim a town role regardless (and nobody targeted LunchMeat).
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:17 pm UTC

Votals:

Lawrencelot wrote:Mod: is the above rule the case for every submitted role, for every submitted role that was given to another player, for one role out of all submitted roles, or for one of the roles given to another player?

At most, one mod-created role was added to the game. This role was added to the game with a 50% probability. If the role was added to the game (i.e. if my coin came up heads), I would have had it replace at random a role that did not stay with its creator.

Sabrar wrote:@Madge: will a potential vote buy be reflected in the votals?

Yes.

Day 1 ends in 28 hours

heuristically_alone

Re: Impromptu Mafia - Pregame

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:40 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Hi everyone! Fair warning: I really wanted to go crazy and play Jester, of course coin flips never like me so got stuck with a boring role instead. So it's very likely that we have a Jester in the game.

What to you makes a role "boring"? When you don't have any day or night actions?
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Sabrar

Re: Impromptu Mafia - Pregame

Postby Sabrar » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:07 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:What to you makes a role "boring"? When you don't have any day or night actions?

Nowhere near close, but it's hard to describe without just listing all the roles. I submitted a Jester without any abilities and would have loved to play it. Similarly, playing a passive role like PGOcould have been exciting as well.

On another note: I likely won't be around during deadline but it might happen if I continue to wake up so early.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:56 am UTC

Where is everyone?

1. If we have only 1 Mafia I think it's likely to be among those who claimed to have received their own submitted roles back.
2. I think matt is Town based on his claims.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:03 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:Where is everyone?
Sorry, been with family this weekend and am now busy at work, so time hasn't been plentiful. Will hopefully get time for a reasonable post this evening.

I'm marginally inclined to agree with Sabrar's first comment, but don't know who at this moment. I don't have an opinion on matt's townieness or otherwise at this point, but will post my opinions on everybody this evening (along with a vote).
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:32 pm UTC

Deadline in approx 14 hours.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:36 pm UTC

SirGabriel wrote:I'll just say this: my win condition is tied to the win condition of one particular player, whom I do not wish to name at the moment. That player is currently lacking one of the typical powers associated with his role. Should he target me with the other power typical to that role, he will be granted the power he is now lacking.

Is that particular player a townie?

Return to “Mafia”