Impromptu Mafia - Day 4 - GOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Madge

Impromptu Mafia - Day 4 - GOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Postby Madge » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:33 am UTC

Impromptu Mafia

This is going to be pretty minimalist; you guys know the rules, more or less.

General Rules
1. Do not talk about the game outside this thread (except with appropriate spoilers in the Gojoe thread, there are no spoiler reading roles).
2. Lurkers will not be dealt with at all. Their night actions will be applied to people at random (including your allies) as per the rules for night actions. Lynch them yourselves, players!!
3. Death is permanent.
4. Don't quote your role PMs, or the PMs you sent.

Specific Game Rules:
1. Days are 48 hours, weekends grind clock down at half time.
2. Deadlines are soft; you can still post, vote, etc until the mod declares the day is over. The mod is pretty disorganised so expect deadlines to be lower bounds and potentially exceeded by several hours.
3. This game is pseudo-nightless. I'll try and run it nightlessly, so please submit your night actions in advance - feel free to change them or submit backups (e.g. I will NK Madge, except if Madge is lynched I will NK Jeff). You can't do crazy complicated backups though (e.g. NK Madge unless she claims doctor in which case NK Jeff but if Madge claims cop NK Cindy).
4. Nights will be at most 24 hours (soft deadline, if you take longer than 24 hours but you get in before I process the night then your action will happen)
5. Roles are revealed the following morning. The full role PM as submitted will be provided. The identity of the submitter will not be, but you're welcome to claim it was you.
6. If the deadline is reached and no player has been hammered, then the person with the most votes at the deadline will be lynched.
7. A tied vote at day end will result in each of the tied players being lynched with a 50% probability (so a 25% chance of NL and a 25% of two people being lynched, in a two person tie. I flipped coins to make most decisions so why not this one too?)
8. You can vote no lynch, but if NL is in a tie the player who is tied with NL still has a 50% chance of being lynched per the rule above.
9: If there are only two players remaining and their votes are not affected by any abilities, every day will end with no lynch until someone wins. (added N2)

Actions:
1. Submit night actions before night is declared to speed things along by keeping the nights as short as possible.
2. If you do not submit a night action, your action will be used on another player selected at random.
3. Any day actions are optional.
4. All chat is daychat.
5. Actions will be resolved in the order the mod thinks makes the most sense at the time; kills will be the very last thing processed.

Setup and Role Info:
Roles are taken from player submissions with no modifications.

50% of people will have the role they submit. 50% of people will get someone else's role. This is chosen by straight coin flip; so with 8 players it's possible that 0 or 8 people have the role they submitted.

There's a 50% chance of a submitted role being replaced with a role chosen by the mod at random, so not all roles are guaranteed.

If the game starts with more mafia than town members, then they will swap alignments (so the mafiosi will become town and vice versa).

If there are no mafia / SK / otherwise antagonistic roles and town wins the first time they NL.

There are no secret elements to roles. There is no alignment changing.

Flavour:
Flavour for each flavourpost will be chosen by clicking on the random article page of wikipedia. Expect a lot of scenes happening at Venezuelan train stations and in obscure government offices.

There is no confirmation phase, so once you have your role PM, start posting because the clock will be ticking. Don't post here if you see this place before you get your role PM though, I'll put a flavour post down after I send the role PMs out.

Players:

1. matt96 - Killed N3. Town Sleepwalking Diety. (LOSS)
2. heury - Lynched D2. Jester (WIN)
3. Sabrar - Lynched D1. Witch Doctor (SK). (LOSS)
4. SirGabriel - Lynched D3. Mafia Traitor. (WIN)
5. mpolo - Mafia roleblocker, votebuyer, lover (WIN)
6. Lawrencelot - Third party (WIN)
7. moody7277 - Killed N3. Town Gunsmith. (LOSS)
8. jimbobmacdoodle- Lynched D3. Town Tracker. (LOSS)

(Role PMs have all been sent out. If you didn't get yours let me know ASAP).
Last edited by Madge on Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:26 am UTC, edited 15 times in total.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Madge

Re: Impromptu Mafia - Pregame

Postby Madge » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:33 am UTC

9th November 1939. The Netherlands.

The Buick pulled into the cafe; Dirk Klop was driving there with eight of what he assumed were his closest allies crammed into the car wherever they could fit. A very fit dutchman who insisted on going everywhere shirtless squished into the front seat next to a man dressed in black with an unidentifiable blue object perched on his head. The back seat was similarly full of people and animals; a man with a white dove nestled on his shoulder, a man in full plate armor and a man wearing a wizard hat sat nestled amongst some puppies, a kitty, a dinosaur skull and a seahorse that seemed not to mind the lack of salt water never mind the slow current. Strapped to the poor over-full Buick's roof was a canoe and, of course, a thoroughbred stallion, as was customary in South Holland.

Klop got out of the car, ready for the meeting with the leader of the German resistance. However, as he climbed out of the car, the enemy was ready for him. A convertible showed up, full of German special agents who let fire rain down upon Klop until his body lay on the floor, peppered with bullet wounds.

Someone had to have tipped the handsome young men in the convertible off to their presence. Had to have been in on their plans.

The only people - and animals, and inanimate objects - who knew about this meeting were there, still crammed in the Buik, and not a one of them had been harmed by the special agents.

One of them was surely a traitor. But who?

(Inspiration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Klop)

Deadline for the end of D1: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/t ... erif&csz=1
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:17 am UTC

Hi everyone! Fair warning: I really wanted to go crazy and play Jester, of course coin flips never like me so got stuck with a boring role instead. So it's very likely that we have a Jester in the game.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:18 am UTC

EBWOP: @Madge: could you please include the list of players in the OP?

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:22 am UTC

Done! I'll update it when people die and stuff too. Have fun kids!

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:24 am UTC

So, my thoughts on claims:
First, we should figure out whether or not our submitted roles alignments were kept or not, because I have very important information if they were. I'll admit that I did not end up with my own role, and I am unsure whether or not the role I received was originally town. If a couple of people who kept the role they submitted could confirm whether the alignments stayed or not, that would be appreciated.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:27 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:Hi everyone! Fair warning: I really wanted to go crazy and play Jester, of course coin flips never like me so got stuck with a boring role instead. So it's very likely that we have a Jester in the game.

Oooooo, jesters make the game way interesting! I feel it a safe bet based on Sabrar's statement really did submit jester as a role, and that he in fact did not receive that role, thus creating probability of him being mafia!

Vote: Sabrar
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:29 am UTC

matt96 wrote:So, my thoughts on claims:
First, we should figure out whether or not our submitted roles alignments were kept or not, because I have very important information if they were. I'll admit that I did not end up with my own role, and I am unsure whether or not the role I received was originally town. If a couple of people who kept the role they submitted could confirm whether the alignments stayed or not, that would be appreciated.

I will confirm that the role I submitted remained with the alignment I submitted along with it.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:36 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:
matt96 wrote:So, my thoughts on claims:

I will confirm that the role I submitted remained with the alignment I submitted along with it.

Thanks, I'll go into more detail if someone else backs up this claim, but if anyone is a lover, please claim so as soon as possible.

heuristically_alone

Re: Impromptu Mafia - Day 1 - The Fall of Dirk Klop

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:38 am UTC

Do you have probable reason to believe there may be a lover?
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:47 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:thus creating probability of him being mafia!

Could you explain your logic here? I was given a role randomly so speaking from a strictly mathematical point of view it's actually much more likely that I'm Town than scum. And yes, I'm Town.

@matt: could you explain why claiming Lovers is a good idea? This would paint a huge target on their back and we could lose multiple people quickly.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:54 am UTC

I don't think it would be a good idea to explain why until after I hear a claim, but I can promise that given what I know, for almost all roles it would be in their best interest to claim if they are lovers.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:00 am UTC

@Sabrar
How I see it: If in fact 1/8 players could be a jester, then 7/8 could be mafia (we don't know how many mafia there are, but let's suppose there are 2 mafia). If we assumed we didn't know you were a jester, there is a 25% chance (2/8) of you being mafia. If we assume you are not a jester, there are 7 roles left you could be, 2 of them mafia. That would increase your chance of being mafia to roughly 28.6% (2/7). Henceforth, since I feel you are most likely not jester, your chances of being mafia have increased slightly. (Everyone else is still individually at 25% likely to be mafia, still assuming 2 mafia).
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:08 am UTC

But you can use the same math to show that my chances of being Town increased, from 5/8 to 5/7 or from 4/8 to 4/7 depending if we have another Independent. That logic will not get you anywhere.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:38 am UTC

Yeah according to heury's logic, Sabrar should have an increased probability in both being town and being mafia... But I don't agree with the logic.

Vote: heuristically_alone

I don't like that Sabrar submitted a Jester role, since I hate playing with a Jester around. However, revealing that information seems like a protown thing to do since it gives us more info.

About the lover claim: I don't think anyone should claim lover. Without matt's information, it is actually NOT in the interest of any role to claim lover. But I'd be interested in matt's reasons as well.

The role I submitted also did not change alignment.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:20 am UTC

I did not receive the role I submitted.

Vote: mpolo

because surely one of the three people who haven't posted yet must be mafia.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:24 am UTC

We might have a lot of factions in this game. Does anyone else think it might be beneficial for everyone to claim right now whether or not they are town?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:43 am UTC

I think everyone will claim Town so I don't really see the point, but sure let's do it. Maybe there's a lie detector? Anyway I've already claimed so it doesn't really matter to me, to me.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:08 pm UTC

SirGabriel wrote:I did not receive the role I submitted.

Or it could be that it only just now got to a reasonable hour of the morning where I live.

Three scum -> we'd already be at LYLO, which was not indicated.
One scum, probably not the case as it wouldn't be fun to play as lone scum.

So, two is most likely, but that's based on the assumption of a balanced game which is not assured in this case.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:22 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
SirGabriel wrote:I did not receive the role I submitted.

Or it could be that it only just now got to a reasonable hour of the morning where I live.

Three scum -> we'd already be at LYLO, which was not indicated.
One scum, probably not the case as it wouldn't be fun to play as lone scum.

So, two is most likely, but that's based on the assumption of a balanced game which is not assured in this case.

It was a joke vote, in case you couldn't tell.

I'm inclined to believe there is only one mafia. Sabrar claimed to submit a third party role. I submitted another third party role, and then received yet another one. Assuming both the roles Sabrar and I submitted are in the game, that means we have at least 5 factions, which means at most 4 total town+mafia. Madge promised there would be at least as many town as mafia, so while it's possible that there are 2 mafia and 2 town (or 2 mafia and 3 town if either my or Sabrar's submission was eliminated), it seems more likely that we have 1 mafia, 1-3 town, and 0-2 more third parties.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:22 pm UTC

Will a jester win end the game?

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:25 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Three scum -> we'd already be at LYLO, which was not indicated.

MYLO, LYLO will not be indicated.

SirGabriel wrote:Will a jester win end the game?

No, the jester would win and the game would continue.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:28 pm UTC

The only reason that I can think of that Matt might mention there lovers is if he submitted mafia aligned lovers.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:31 pm UTC

SirGabriel wrote:it seems more likely that we have 1 mafia, 1-3 town, and 0-2 more third parties.

That does sound more in line with the promised chaoticness. I always start with the most boring idea possible and build from there based off observations.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:40 pm UTC

O.K. Just getting to this. I did not get my own role. I submitted a role that would work for any faction, and neglected to indicate a preferred faction. So I have no idea what alignment my submitted role would have got.

On the numbers per faction, there's that 50% chance of the mod having thrown away a role and making her own. Which means that having a lot of submitted 3rd parties does not guarantee that there are a lot of third parties.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:10 pm UTC

SirGabriel wrote:I'm inclined to believe there is only one mafia. Sabrar claimed to submit a third party role. I submitted another third party role, and then received yet another one.

Did you just claim third party?

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:16 pm UTC

Lawrencelot wrote:
SirGabriel wrote:I'm inclined to believe there is only one mafia. Sabrar claimed to submit a third party role. I submitted another third party role, and then received yet another one.

Did you just claim third party?

Yes, I did.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:28 pm UTC

So, claiming 3rd party on page one can mean a lot of things.

1) Sir Gabriel is 3rd party and feels confident of his ability to get a win
2) Sir Gabriel is lying scum

Option 1 is probably a little more likely than 2, but I'm not discarding number 2. The question remains of whether his winnability in option 1 is predicated on town's losing.
Image <-- Evil experiment

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:55 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:So, claiming 3rd party on page one can mean a lot of things.

Option 1 is probably a little more likely than 2, but I'm not discarding number 2. The question remains of whether his winnability in option 1 is predicated on town's losing.

I'll just say this: my win condition is tied to the win condition of one particular player, whom I do not wish to name at the moment. That player is currently lacking one of the typical powers associated with his role. Should he target me with the other power typical to that role, he will be granted the power he is now lacking.

Also, since it appears that the joke-vote phase has passed and I have no particular reason to want mpolo lynched at the moment,

Unvote

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:25 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:So, claiming 3rd party on page one can mean a lot of things.

Option 3) Sir Gabriel is 3rd party Jester and hoping h you assume option 2, that he is lying scum.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:20 pm UTC

SirGabriel wrote:I'll just say this: my win condition is tied to the win condition of one particular player, whom I do not wish to name at the moment. That player is currently lacking one of the typical powers associated with his role. Should he target me with the other power typical to that role, he will be granted the power he is now lacking.

Mind saying a bit more?
Given the clarification on how roles that imply other roles would work from the sign up thread, there are three possibilities.
1) The relation between the two roles comes from the unnamed players role, which would seem a bit odd considering that your win condition is based on the other role.
2) The relation between the two roles comes from your role, which I doubt because it would involve giving another role two additional Powers (one to target you with +another for doing so)
3) The two roles were made to go together, which seems unlikely unless one of them is the possible mod introduced role.

Even if you aren't willing to state reasons I would like to know which you think is most likely.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:41 pm UTC

matt96 wrote:
SirGabriel wrote:I'll just say this: my win condition is tied to the win condition of one particular player, whom I do not wish to name at the moment. That player is currently lacking one of the typical powers associated with his role. Should he target me with the other power typical to that role, he will be granted the power he is now lacking.

Mind saying a bit more?
Given the clarification on how roles that imply other roles would work from the sign up thread, there are three possibilities.
1) The relation between the two roles comes from the unnamed players role, which would seem a bit odd considering that your win condition is based on the other role.
2) The relation between the two roles comes from your role, which I doubt because it would involve giving another role two additional Powers (one to target you with +another for doing so)
3) The two roles were made to go together, which seems unlikely unless one of them is the possible mod introduced role.

Even if you aren't willing to state reasons I would like to know which you think is most likely.

I don't think it's in my best interests to say any more at this time.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:50 pm UTC

Since everyone else has already claimed, I'd like to hear from jimbob and moody whether or not they received the roles they submitted.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:53 pm UTC

Okay I prefer not to vote SirGabriel for claiming third party, even though it is literally a claim that he is not town. The reason is that I assume most third party roles have a self-interest like the Jester does, while scum is actively fighting against the town so I'd rather look for real scum. Also I don't want to risk lynching a Jester.

However, should we not have any clue as to who is scum by the end of the day, then I will reconsider.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:14 pm UTC

I agree with matt, SirGabriel's claim is incredibly fishy as he should not know such specifics about another player's role. The only case where it might be true is if it's a role Madge introduced but that seems unlikely as well. Currently I think SirGabriel is the Jester, or scum trying to pretend to be one. Well the last part is my mistake, in hindsight I should have waited to announce my submitted role so that scum cannot try such tactics.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 pm UTC

[quote="SirGabriel"]
I'll just say this: my win condition is tied to the win condition of one particular player, whom I do not wish to name at the moment. That player is currently lacking one of the typical powers associated with his role. Should he target me with the other power typical to that role, he will be granted the power he is now lacking.

[/quote]
Mind saying a bit more?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:50 pm UTC

I submitted a Town role, and got it. Actually, thinking about it, I didn't explicitly say town in the description, but given that I didn't put down another win condition or alignment, I'm assuming I'm town (I will get mod to confirm).

heuristically_alone picked up what I'd figured from reading through the early posts, namely that SirG could be a jester, and that there are only 2 indies (I think - might have lost track, also assumes third party role was not discarded).

Did anybody submit a Mafia-aligned role and not receive it? I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we have no traditional mafia.

Summary of claims so far:
Sabrar - submitted jester, got non-jester Town role
matt - did not keep role
heuristically_alone - kept role with same alignment
Lawrencelot - kept role with same alignment
SirGabriel - did not keep role, submitted third-party, received third-party
mpolo - did not keep role
jimbobmacdoodle - kept Town role
moody - no claim?

@matt, mpolo - could you confirm with Madge what you role's alignment would be, please, if unchanged.
@moody - could you confirm if you received a new role or kept your own, please.

So far, I think Sabrar is probably telling the truth, although it could be a scum tactic to lie about submitting a jester, in teamwork with another player who is playing fake-jester. I'm vaguely suspicious of SirG's claim, but agree that I feel it would be a waste lynching him, if there's a good chance of him being a jester, or telling the truth. matt's request for a lover claim, is honestly rather bizarre. I'm rather jetlagged after my return from holiday, so can't think properly as to what might have been the reason at this point. Whilst heuristically's probabilities are likely flawed (or unhelpful at best), I think it's more likely to be a genuine mistake than an attempt to mislead.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:00 pm UTC

a. I did get the role and alignment I requested

b. I figure that SirG's post where he implied his status as third-party followed by the admission in the next one was not meant to be accidental. I'm coming down on the side of he wanted it clear early that he is town-friendly if not technically town, so he's on the non-lynch list at present.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:16 pm UTC

Okay, so we have four who claim to have the role they submitted (heury, Lawrencelot, jimbob, moody), and four who claimed to have a different role (matt, Sabrar, mpolo, and myself). I see no reason to doubt any of those claims. And assuming that those claims are accurate, then we have little to go on for the former group at the moment except for their own claims, but we might be able to piece together a bit about the latter group based on claims from the other members of the group.

matt and mpolo, what alignments were the roles you submitted?

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:23 pm UTC

Return to “Mafia”