MMM II - Day 3: The Massacre at Munroe High

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

dimochka

Re: MMM II - Day 3: The Massacre at Munroe High

Postby dimochka » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:32 am UTC

I'm busy at work for another hour.

Do we get 24 hours extension at tie??
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:43 am UTC

...I suppose so.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:05 am UTC

That's good, then the fact that a friend showed up at my office and I had to have lunch with her didn't doom us to an NL which I feared.

So, my vote stays for now.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:14 am UTC

I guess I'm going to let the extension hit (sorry -- Internet went out before I went to bed last night, and I couldn't wait for it to come back on.)

I'm in agreement basically that znirk and dimochka look the worst, though it's mostly by elimination. Carlington's power use is questionable, but more a strategy thing than total evil act. Will revisit today and vote.
Image <-- Evil experiment

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:59 am UTC

Votals:

dimochka (1) : Carlington
Znirk (1) : Madge

Not Voting (3) : dimochka, mpolo, Znirk

Per game specific rule #2

Djehutynakht wrote: 2. All lynch ties will result in a small extension, during which is it encouraged, but not mandatory, to break the tie. If after this extension there is still a tie, there will be no lynch.

New deadline: Wednesday, November 30, 11:59:59 PM EST (about 22 hours from the time of this post)

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:03 am UTC

Here's a deadline clock so I don't get confused again:

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/g ... 959&p0=179
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:45 am UTC

mpolo wrote:Carlington's power use is questionable, but more a strategy thing than total evil act.

For the record, I didn't mean "kill carlington because he played badly". My thinking was that given the mismatch between power claim and behaviour he was my most likely claim liar candidate. But his response to me looks good, and while I didn't twig for a long time that the smoke-filled stairwell might be a nicotine addict joke rather than part of the disaster environment, it does seem to support his archetype claim.

Need to think. More around noon (in about 3h)

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:48 pm UTC

It is not the strongest lead in the world, but dimochka's power as described/filtered through my brain seems more useful in the hands of scum than town.

If I've understood correctly, it lets her permanently roleblock one player, with the caveat that his non-killing actions are directed at her. It's so potentially debilitating, that town would likely never try to use it, while scum could make a doctor/tracker/watcher/jailer/vigilante completely useless (at least until forced to carry out the kill themselves), and limit a cop to one result for the whole game (probably convincing himself that he is insane from early on).

As a result, I am inclined to vote dimochka now.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:49 pm UTC

For obvious reasons I don't want Mpolo or myself lynched. That leaves three candidates from my perspective.

Things I find dodgy about Carlington:
As mentioned, N1 behaviour doesn't really match his claim; though awake me is more charitably disposed towards accepting his response as the genuine reaction of someone who could actually have kept the town doctor alive and accidentally didn't. Low analysable content, but most of day 2 was spent fixing his computer. Claims combination of common powers, which may be true (similar things were seen in several flips), or might also be the easiest thing to make up that fits into the game thus far.

Things I find dodgy about Dimochka:
Cagey about claiming. Says that Generalz rejected his note, while my note to the same target was accepted: could be true, but is definitely an oddity (I've never been targeted with even a single nocturnal anonymous note, let alone several on the same night; but I'm gut-judging accept-all or reject-all to be the more plausible reactions than accept one, reject another. I don't particularly like the claimed power either, simply because it eliminates a substantial part of the game for whoever is successfully targeted (no more decisions on what to do at night, at least until Dim dies). This seems to stick out in a game where everyone has a power. Oh,and the claimed role also kind of suggests that everyone or at least most people do have a (targeting) power, which Dim kept quiet about as far as I can see.

Things I find dodgy about Madge:
Not much content for the number of posts. Spent most of two game days promising a more in-depth post justifying her opinions, and we're still waiting. Her claimed role is fifty shades of weird (though perhaps I shouldn't really complain too much given my own costume-borne power), particularly it still bugs me that according to her claim the unkillability was added/revealed only during an unforeseen overtime period at the end of day 1. Told Dimochka that he had little chance of getting his anonymous note accepted tonight, but later offered to accept it herself (though admittedly those two posts were before and after claims respectively). Looks like she's actively fishing for notes both during day 2 and today, in fact. Is this simple solidarity with other roles who need notes accepted to win, or an unclaimed requirement of her role? Generally feels respond-y and a little erratic.

I really don't have much to put one of these three far ahead in scumminess of the others. If I had to vote right now I'd probably back off Carlington and point my finger at Dimochka, but ... yech. Late game is hard.

Madge, you voted me on gut feeling and in order to force a tie. Is there anything specific you want me to address about myself, or is it all gut?

Mpolo, when you eliminate Madge and Carlington from the likely scum pool, what's your reasoning?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:04 pm UTC

Madge is principally for a power that holds together well, and "feels" right.

I suppose she could be the third mafia, who only became mafia after being kissed, certainly.

Carlington was the feeling I got from his answer to you. It felt more townie than scummy to me.

So that I don't forget,

Vote: dimochka

Also the fact that no one broke the tie would suggest either both people being voted were scum or there is only one scum, and he is hiding there. I will try to review this vote.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:51 pm UTC

unvote

Znirk's post has me pretty sold on a dim lynch based on the weirdness of the claim, so I think that's what I want to go with. I'm not adding my vote as it would be hammer.

Znirk: my feeling about you was all gut. Unfortunately the time just never made itself available for me to get that post done, I should have done it last week but the lack of activity wasn't motivating.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:22 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:If I've understood correctly, it lets her permanently roleblock one player, with the caveat that his non-killing actions are directed at her. It's so potentially debilitating, that town would likely never try to use it, while scum could make a doctor/tracker/watcher/jailer/vigilante completely useless (at least until forced to carry out the kill themselves), and limit a cop to one result for the whole game (probably convincing himself that he is insane from early on).

As you may recall, I was saying early on D1 that I didn't understand why this power is limited to one use. What I meant is that I was surprised that it would work this way. This is also why I didn't use it on N1, and why I tried to use it on N2. It's not my job to figure out why DJ put a certain role in the game.
Znirk wrote:Things I find dodgy about Dimochka:
Cagey about claiming. Says that Generalz rejected his note, while my note to the same target was accepted: could be true, but is definitely an oddity (I've never been targeted with even a single nocturnal anonymous note, let alone several on the same night; but I'm gut-judging accept-all or reject-all to be the more plausible reactions than accept one, reject another. I don't particularly like the claimed power either, simply because it eliminates a substantial part of the game for whoever is successfully targeted (no more decisions on what to do at night, at least until Dim dies). This seems to stick out in a game where everyone has a power. Oh,and the claimed role also kind of suggests that everyone or at least most people do have a (targeting) power, which Dim kept quiet about as far as I can see.

A few things. #1 this is a DJ game so I expected unique / weird roles. case in point znirk and madge. #2 i didnt realize the "targeting" power part. BUT what other powers are there? passive? that's just PGO. Vanilla? No way it would happen in a game like this. Now you're just nitpicking. And with a weird role like yours, you could easily be town or scum, as I mentioned.

Carlington wrote:
dimochka wrote:
Carlington wrote:N1 I targeted dimochka

Why did you decide to target me? Why not target the claimed doctor? It was very likely that he would've been the night target...

I figured that targeting the doctor as a jailer would be pointless because it would prevent him from using his power, so either I would keep jailing the doctor all game and he'd be effectively VT which would render two powers useless, or I jail him once and then scum can kill him anyway once I'm not jailing him anymore.

As people mentioned, saving the doctor prevents a likely kill. So I don't agree with your logic.

Going back to the events of the last few days, I do believe that carlington has at least part of his claimed power. However, what I could see possible: he has a roleblocking power that's note-based, and a killing power that isn't, and both cannot be used in the same night. That's the only logical way I could see this working.

Just another quick note - i can't see a madge/carlington team, specifically after those votes.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:38 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:And with a weird role like yours, you could easily be town or scum, as I mentioned.

Quick response (the quoted part was leveled at me): A scum role-thief might make sense in a game where his individual sub-game is to figure out which of the townies even have a power for him to steal. Here, where everybody has turned out to have some kind of special effect, scum:I could simply have targeted anybody at all outside of Mafia (whom I would know), and invariably get something out of it. Somewhat boring from a gameplay perspective. I do think that in the constellation as we know it, my power makes little sense except with a townie, who will have to figure out who is scum and take away something from them for the greater glory of the Town. Indie would also be possible I guess, but the costume change aspect of my role which presumably makes the steal obvious would expose them in a near-unfair way.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:33 am UTC

Znirk wrote:
dimochka wrote:And with a weird role like yours, you could easily be town or scum, as I mentioned.

Quick response (the quoted part was leveled at me): A scum role-thief might make sense in a game where his individual sub-game is to figure out which of the townies even have a power for him to steal. Here, where everybody has turned out to have some kind of special effect, scum:I could simply have targeted anybody at all outside of Mafia (whom I would know), and invariably get something out of it. Somewhat boring from a gameplay perspective. I do think that in the constellation as we know it, my power makes little sense except with a townie, who will have to figure out who is scum and take away something from them for the greater glory of the Town. Indie would also be possible I guess, but the costume change aspect of my role which presumably makes the steal obvious would expose them in a near-unfair way.

Except getting an additional killing power would be huge for anyone not town-aligned, so I don't see your point.

Oh well. At least I'll take one of you with me.

Vote Dimochka

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:16 am UTC

Votals:

dimochka (3) : Carlington, mpolo, dimochka

Not Voting (2) : Madge, Znirk

That’s the hammer. Please submit your night actions ASAP.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:50 pm UTC

I will be travelling over the next week or so, but hopefully will be able to check in.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:10 pm UTC

Update: This week is a tremendously busy one for me. I will try to do all the actual stuff this weekend.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:03 pm UTC

DJ - any update on when you'll be able to finish the game?

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:05 pm UTC

Bessie and I have decided to finish this game for you guys, assuming you're still interested in seeing it closed out. If we got the next Day started this week, would you guys play? If yes, then let's get it done. If no, then we'll just call this game abandoned. Hopefully interest hasn't waned to the point that we have to do that though.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:53 pm UTC

I'll play.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:21 pm UTC

Happy to continue playing!!!! I almost died of happiness when I saw the topic reply notification in my inbox.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:39 pm UTC

I'll play :twisted:

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:52 pm UTC

I'll play
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:15 pm UTC

All credit should go to bessie.

Police Report
Interview
Witness: Ms. Bessie, Vice Principal, Munroe High School
Interviewing Officers: Powell, Callahan

POW: We have concluded our interview with Mr. Diemo, and following a short, um, coffee break, we have decided to return to Ms. Bessie, the Vice Principal, as she appears to be a slightly more reliable witness than the others.
CAL: She’s screwy, but not as screwy.

[Officers enter the room where Bessie is seated, and continue their interview.]

CAL: Now, Ms. Bessie, we have the testimony of Mr. Diemo regarding the suicide of dimochka, the cheerleader.
BES: A complete description? Do you have all the details?
POW: Yes.
BES: Do you need me to add anything? I saw it all. The spinning body, splattering blood across the faces of the screaming students.
POW: Ms. Bessie, what we need from you is a description of the events leading up to the next killing.
BES: Oh my, yes, that one. Poor Madge.
CAL: Can you tell us what you know about the victim?
BES: Madge was such an innocent, unsuspecting student. At the start of this evening, I would have believed that no harm could ever come to her. She had left the gym early in the evening. I didn’t see her leave, but I did see her come back. She had an angelic, content look on her face when she returned from wherever she was.
POW: Did you see her leave the gym a second time?
BES: No I didn’t. I really don’t know why she left and went to the library. Perhaps she wanted to look something up for her homework.
DOG: Woof!
CAL: Hey, how did that dog get in here?
BES: Yes, some of them did, even though there was the party tonight, there is school tomorrow.
DOG: Woof woof.
BES: It was up to the individual teachers to decide if they wanted to assign homework.
POW: Are you telling me some jerk, I mean, some teachers actually assigned homework on Halloween?
BES: Mr. Djehutynakht did not make a rule against it.
DOG: Woof!
BES: I’ve told you before not to refer to Mr. Djehutynakht like that. Now go help Mr. SDK clean up the gym.
[Dog exits room.]
CAL: Can we get back to business? Please continue and describe the scene in the library.
BES: The lights were out in the library but the copier was on. That was odd. Mr. Suzaku usually makes sure everything is shut down before he leaves. There may have been a struggle by the card catalog. The card catalog itself was undisturbed, but there were some overturned chairs nearby and some books on the ground.
POW: Was anything else out of place?
BES: No, everything was in order, except in the corner by the microfiche files. The microfiche is in a dark corner of the library, because no one ever uses it. It’s a fairly new piece of equipment, and we don’t have a lot of sheets yet. Madge was lying on the ground in a pool of blood. Her skull had been crushed by the microfiche reader machine and her brains were spilling out onto the floor. Oh my, I don’t know how the principal is going to explain this to the school board. Those machines are very expensive and I don’t know how we will be able to replace it.
CAL: Ms. Bessie, I don’t think that tomorrow, when the members of the school board open up the morning papers, their main concerns are going to be the cost of the microfiche machine.
BES: You’ve never been to a school board meeting, have you?
POW: It might be time for another coffee break.

[Report continued on next page]

dimochka, the loner cheerleader, was a Ninja, a member of the Mafia. As the Ninja, dimochka had a one-shot ability to perform the night kill for the Mafia without the possibility of being seen by any powers.

Madge, the horny virgin, was a member of town. As a virgin, she was immune to death by lynch or night kill, but was unable to win the game. When she lost her virginity she became vanilla town, gaining the town win condition but losing her protection.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:47 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:[Report continued on next page]

Just quickly: does that mean we're waiting for another mod post, or is the game back on as of immediately?

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:56 am UTC

There's an end of D3 flavor post (I'll get Diemo to edit it in to the right place). But it's just flavor. You have all the information you need to begin D4. Please ask if something isn't clear, or if we left something out. It's been a while.

Good luck Carlington, mpolo, and Znirk! Deadline TBD.

And thank you all for sticking around.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:44 am UTC

I got a result of "not Mafia" on Znirk last night, so I will pretty obviously:

Vote: Carlington

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:10 am UTC

Okaaaayyyyy ... It's going to take me a moment to get my head back into this game, but for now:

- Turns out Madge was being completely truthful.

- Turns out Dimochka was a liar and a murderer and, for some reason, a ninja...?

- Turns out Carlington ... uh ... can we get a What I Did On My Holiday from you please?

As for myself, I sent my costume-changing note to Carlington last night. The goal was to confirm our role power claims to each other (albeit by trading roles at the same time). I'm not exactly sure any more why I thought this would be helpful information for a three-way endgame with a confirmed cop, but I guess I was hoping that Carlington's ability, if true as claimed, might prevent the night kill and leave us with four players. Anyhow, I was going to announce my intention, but Dimochka cut the day short before I could make that post..

As you can tell from the lack of costume-trading flavour, Carlington rejected the note.

I received no notes last night, or indeed ever throughout the game.

To my mind Mpolo is confirmed cop, so FMPOV Carlington has to be ... well, the reason why this game is still going on. Most likely he's one last mafioso; with an outside chance of Game-End-Preventing Independent (that is, if Dimochka's comment about "taking one of us down with him" refers to him performing a post-lynch delayed mafia kill ... but no ability of that sort showed up in the reveal, and the kill flavour suggests quite a hands-on method of execution.)

Briefly: Mpolo, I still believe you are town/cop (and if it turns out you are scum after all, then frankly you deserve this win). I will vote Carlington, and presumably he will return the favour; at which point it's up to Mpolo to break the tie.

Anything in particular you'd like me to address?

Also:
Madge wrote:Happy to continue playing!!!! I almost died of happiness when I saw the topic reply notification in my inbox.

Diemo wrote:BES: Oh my, yes, that one. Poor Madge.

... Ouch.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:11 am UTC

Huh. That's not the order of operations I expected, but OK:

vote: Carlington

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:13 am UTC

Could I have said anything? Probs not, hey. Would've been nice to have the chance. GG scum.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:24 pm UTC

Votals:

Carlington (2) : mpolo, Znirk

Not Voting (1) : Carlington

That’s the hammer. Please stand by.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:22 am UTC

Halloween Night 4: The Return of Michael Myers

The students were restless. They gathered in small groups in the gymnasium, whispering among themselves. Znirk was on the stage, the same stage from where, only a few hours before, a DJ had been spinning records. Znirk was presenting the events of the past hour to the assembled crowd, and asking for opinions as to who the next lynch target should be. Znirk was a leader, well liked by everyone, but a few in the crowd started to express their doubts. mpolo knew he had to say something.

“I have proof that it can’t be Znirk,” mpolo shouted. “Carlington’s scum!”

“Well I guess that settles it,” said Znirk.

Carlington opened his mouth to speak, but before he could say a word in his defense, Znirk pulled a knife from under his costume and slit Carlington’s throat.

mpolo watched as the life drained from Carlington’s body. He was overcome by a feeling of relief; it was over. But before long the realization of his mistake sank in, and his relief turned to horror. He had believed Znirk wasn’t mafia because when he spied on Znirk an hour previously, he saw no evidence that Znirk was carrying a weapon.

Panic and shock overwhelmed mpolo and he ran from the gymnasium. He was breathing heavily as he sat on the steps by the side door. When his mom dropped him off at school a few hours earlier, it had been a pleasant evening, cool and slightly breezy, the perfect night for a party. Now it was dark and cold and the wind whipped through the air. Even though mpolo was protected by his heavy Nyarlathotep costume, he felt a chill.

mpolo knew that Znirk would be following him shortly.

Carlington, the class stoner, is dead. He was a roleblocker/jailer, a member of the town. As a stoner, he could invite by note one player each night to smoke a joint. If that player accepted, they would be jailed. If he didn’t feel like smoking on a particular night, he could chose to act as a roleblocker as Space Ghost, and no note would be required.

Znirk watched as mpolo fled from the gymnasium. He calmly followed and reflected on the events of the evening.

They had started as three with a common goal. SirGabriel, the class valedictorian, had originally been a member of their group, but he backed out at the last minute. It hadn’t been a problem finding another who shared his and dimochka’s viewpoint. Heuristically a Gopher had so much distain for the other students that he hardly ever came to school and was always home “sick”. SirGabriel dropped out, but he knew too much of their plans, so they killed him first.

Znirk found mpolo sitting on a step by the gymnasium side door.

“Stay away from me,” said mpolo. “You fooled me but I won’t let you do it again. You must have used a Jedi mind trick on me, like Obi Wan Kenobi used in Star Wars.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” replied Znirk. “Come on, we’re friends.”

“We aren’t friends,” said mpolo. “You get along with everyone, so you don’t know what it’s like. I don’t have any friends. The only people that talk to me are other nerds, and they’re gone. I should have stayed home and played "Ultima V" on my new Apple IIc Plus.”

“You’re wrong,” said Znirk. “I don’t have any true friends either. I understand you, and I know you’re the one that’s been sneaking around, spying on others.”

“How?” asked mpolo.

“Process of elimination,” Znirk replied. “You’re the only one left. You can’t be undercover if you’re the only one left.”

“You’re right,” said mpolo. “I followed you. You didn’t have any weapons. Bad guys have weapons. You weren’t carrying any suspicious items when I spied on you. But you had one in the gym when you killed Carlington.”

As a friendly gesture, Znirk reached out to put his arm around the nerd’s shoulder. “No, don’t touch me!” cried mpolo. “You’re going to try a Vulcan mind meld on me!”

But Znirk’s hand wasn’t empty. It held the knife he had used earlier on Carlington. Znirk slashed at mpolo, however the nerd's remarkable Nyarlathotep costume protected him. The knife was damaged, but so was the costume. It would never protect mpolo from danger again.

“Hey, my costume!” exclaimed mpolo. “I was going to wear that at the Creation’88 horror convention next week.”

Znirk slammed mpolo up against the payphone on the side of the building. He no longer had his knife, but he didn’t need anything other than his wits to kill, as he had proven with Madge. He reached out and grabbed the receiver from the payphone, twisted the metal cord around mpolo’s neck, and strangled the life out of the nerd.

Znirk was the last one of the group that had began as twelve. There was no hiding now. But he wouldn’t get in any trouble. He could talk his way out of anything. He had a talent for diplomacy.

Exhilarated and confident as he left the scene, Znirk did not notice the mysterious cloaked figure that had observed the entire exchange. The figure took a bite from the apple he was holding, turned, and headed for the gym.

mpolo a nerd, is dead. He was an undercover cop, a member of the town. Like a normal cop, he could choose to submit the name of one player every night to investigate, and would receive the results the following morning. However, being undercover, should he choose not to investigate anyone on a particular night, he could use his Nyarlthotep costume to keep himself hidden, and would be immune to kills during that night.

Police Report (final)
Officers: Powell, Callahan

POW: We have concluded our interview with Ms. Bessie, the Vice Principal. She provided a detailed report of the discovery of the student, Madge, who had been killed by the self-described student mafia group, and of the final lynching, of the student Carlington. She has no direct information on the death of mpolo, and was not eyewitness the murder scene.

CAL: We have been attempting to locate Mr. Djehutynakht, the Principal, but he has disappeared, despite warnings not to leave the school grounds. Local police have been provided with a description of his vehicle and a patrol car has been dispatched to his home.

CAL: We can question Mr. SDK again, and try to get more information on the last killing.

POW: [quickly] NO.

CAL: Why not?

POW: He frightens me.

[Transcriptionist’s note: Callahan’s reply is indecipherable, recommend evaluation of recording equipment.]

CAL: Do you have any kids, lieutenant?

POW: Me? No.

CAL: Lucky for them.

[A cloaked figure appears in the doorway of the gymnasium, and tosses an apple core in a trash can.]

POW: Well, if it isn’t the missing principal himself! Where the hell have you been? We have a few questions for you.

[Djehutynakht opens his mouth, but is interrupted before he is able to speak.]

CAL: And he can answer them down at the station. He’s under arrest for fleeing a crime scene.

[end of transcript]

Znirk, the last man standing, is a member of the mafia. As a diplomat who gets along with everyone he did not show up as mafia in any investigations. As a role swapper, he could send a note to a player requesting to switch costumes with them. If they accepted, he would get their costume and they would get the cauliflower.

Mafia wins! Congratulations Znirk, dimochka, and Gopher of Pern!

On behalf of the mod team, thank you everyone for playing. We apologize for the delay in finishing this game, and appreciate your patience and support.

On a personal note, I would like to thank Djehutynakht, SDK, and Diemo for allowing me to be part of the mod team. I learned a great deal about modding and about the game in general by studying the expertise of these three.

Whew! Role dump and other useful stuff to follow. Give me a little while to recover.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:54 am UTC

Night 3, dimochka’s death flavor, written in December and overlooked when we started the game up again. I’ll leave it here because without it, the gap continuity bothers me (and because I spent an entire Saturday afternoon writing it :D ).

Spoiler:
Night 3: Game of Death

Police Report
Interview
Witness: Mr. Diemo, Teacher, Munroe High School
Interviewing Officers: Powell, Callahan

POW: We have suspended our interview with Mr. SDK, as we feel that we won’t get any more useful information from him at this time. We may return to him for further questioning after we…

CAL: …recover from the experience…

POW: …have had an opportunity to speak with the other teacher who was present on the night of October 31, 1988, and was witness to the tragic events.

CAL: I thought we were going to interview the custodian, Mr. Suzaku.

POW: He’s still missing, so we’re going to interview Mr. Diemo.

CAL: Is he the one dressed as a mad scientist?

POW: Yep, he’s waiting for us now.

[Officers enter the room where Diemo is seated, and begin their interview.]

POW: For the record, please state your name and occupation.

DIE: Diemo, physics teacher, Munroe High School.

CAL: Mr. Diemo, that’s an interesting costume you’re wearing.

DIE: What costume?

POW: [quickly] Sir, we would like to her your version of the events that took place last night, October 31, at the school Halloween party. We’ve already received testimony from your colleagues regarding the first two retaliatory killings, which they refer to as “lynchings.” Perhaps you tell us what you know about the event that had started as the third retaliatory killing, but ended up as a suicide?

DIE: Oh yeah, dimochka.

CAL: Was dimochka one of your students?

DIE: Hell no! I teach physics. The smart kids. That dimochka kid was a cheerleader.

POW: Sir, you’re a teacher! Do you think it right to stereotype the students like that?

DIE: They stereotype themselves! This place is full of stereotypes. The nerd. The loner. And not just the students, the staff too! The vice principal is a clueless do-gooder; the principal is a nut…

CAL: [mumbles] Told you he’s a nut.

POW: Mr. Diemo, please, the events.

DIE: After the bloodbath that followed the second lynching, well, the kids were stunned. They talked a little, but no names were put forth for a third lynch. I thought it was over.

POW: But something changed?

DIE: As time passed, the accusations started again. The five remaining kids started voting. It was clear dimochka was going to be selected, and she knew it. That’s when she lost it. And then… well… geez… I thought they were done…I thought it was over… hold on a minute.

[Diemo pulls a flask out of his lab coat and takes a long drink.]

POW: Wait, what the…Sir, is that alcohol? On school grounds?

DIE: Of course it is!

CAL: Great, now we’ve got the teachers swigging gin on the job.

DIE: Usquebaugh!

CAL: Gesundheit.

POW: This is so wrong I don’t even know where to start. Is the full moon making you all crazy?

DIE: [grumbles] Cops. Full moon was on October 25.

CAL: Mr. Diemo, please continue. What happened next?

DIE: So dimochka jumped up on the stage and announced that if she was going to die, she would be taking someone else with her. And then she pulled out some of those throwing stars, you know, the type you see in kung-fu movies? She threw two, but was nervous or scared because she didn’t hit anyone. They both stuck in the gym walls.

POW: We recovered them.

[See Evidence #9-12 for weapon referenced.]

DIE: She ran over to where we had the haunted house set up. In the front there were a couple of funhouse mirrors. Convex and concave mirrors, they make you look tall and skinny or short and fat. Djehutynakht got the funhouse equipment on loan from a carnival supply company. Guy’s pretty resourceful, I’ll give him that.

CAL: I’m sure he is. Please continue.

DIE: Anyway she climbed up the side, right to the top. She was wearing this knife glove thing as part of her Freddy Kruger costume. I thought it was a prop, but they were real knives, long and sharp. She managed to do a back filp off the top of the roof and stab herself clear through the gut in mid air. She landed on this spinning disk that was near the haunted house entrance, another funhouse prop. Kids being kids, they had the thing at full power. She was thrown off by the centrifugal force and hit one of the mirrors hard enough for the knives to break through the mirror and pin her to it. Rather impressive really. The mirror spun around. It was like the ending of Enter the Dragon.

POW: Impressive? IMPRESSIVE? A student dies a horrible death and you’re IMPRESSED?

DIE: Gotta admit, she had style.

POW: I don’t know how much more of this I can take.

CAL: Mr. Diemo, I think we’re going to need to confiscate that flask.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:46 pm UTC

Hey look! There really were 2 Ninja-s after all. What fun!

Seriously though, good game everyone, flavor was the best I had the pleasure to! If I hadn't switched to watching moody at the last moment we would have went into D3 in a 5-1 setup instead of 3-2. Very unlucky.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:34 pm UTC

Didn't I tell you not to trust vegetables?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Znirk

Re: MMM II - Day 1: The Murder and the Lynch-Mob

Postby Znirk » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:46 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:
moody7277 wrote:Znirk's hole that he's digging is starting to look like "Blood on the Sidewalk". If I'd played more games with him, I might start to suspect some ulterior motive. Not enough meta on him yet, though.

I missed this post yesterday; dropping in quickly now to say that I don't get the reference. Google says that "blood on the sidewalk" is the title of a couple of songs and a book, but I'm not familiar with any of them.

Now that the game's over, can I ask again what that reference was all about?

And yes, thanks everyone for playing - particularly to everybody who spontaneously joined in on the killing during Night 2 :)

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:23 am UTC

That title is what I thought I remembered as one of those old Driver's Ed films in the format where you feed the film through the projector, which only an AV nerd would be able to do.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:14 am UTC

Sorry for the delay in posting the role PMs; I had to dig through the PMs to find them all.

The Mafia Snobs
Spoiler:
heuristically_alone/Gopher of Pern
Stereotype: Always home sick
Costume: Boggart from Harry Potter

You’ve never really liked Munroe High. Everybody else annoys you. You’re better than this place. Because of that, you’ve taken as many sick days as you can possibly get away with to keep yourself out of this stupid place. But that excuse won’t work anymore. No… the only thing left to do is make sure the others are absent… permanently. And you’ve found some friends who feel very much the same way…

You are the Strongman a member of the Mafia. One time, when carrying out the Mafia kill, you have the option of making it a strongman kill. The strongman kill cannot be manipulated or blocked.

As a member of the Mafia, you have 24-hour private chat with your Mafia cohorts, Dimochka and Znirk. Please be sure to copy the mods in all PMs.

You win when the Mafia is the dominant faction of the game.

dimochka
Stereotype: Loner cheerleader
Costume: Freddy Krueger from Nightmare on Elm Street

Cheerleaders are supposed to be, like, popular, in high school, aren’t they? Despite this cliché, you’ve always been more of a loner yourself. All the kids in this school are, like, complete losers. You wish they would just, like, totally die or something. Maybe it’s time that you assert a little dominance, and show them who’s really on top of the spirit pyramid! You’ve found a few comrades who might be able to help you. They’re not as cool as you, but they’ll, like, do.

You are the Ninja, a member of the Mafia. One time, when carrying out the Mafia kill, you have the option of making it a ninja kill. This kill will not be able to be detected by anyone else through any means.

As a member of the Mafia, you have 24-hour private chat with your Mafia cohorts, Heuristically_Alone and Znirk. Please be sure to copy the mods in all PMs.

Znirk
Stereotype: Diplomat who gets along with everyone but is nobody’s friend
Costume: Ginormous cauliflower (the shop was out of pumpkins)

You’ve played it down the middle for as long as you can remember. Never taking sides, always trying to be everybody’s good acquaintance, but never anybody’s friend. And where has that got you? Nowhere! That’s where! All this time, being nice to everyone, and you’ve gotten squat for it! Well, not anymore, tonight, you’re gonna take sides. Mocking you for your cauliflower costume was the last straw. They’ll never see this coming…

You are the Godfather and the Cauliflower, a member of the Mafia.

As the Godfather, you will not show up as mafia in any investigations.

Now, about this Cauliflower costume. It’s stupid. It’s ugly. Everybody’s making fun of you for it, and you just want to get rid of it. As the Cauliflower, you have the option of picking one other player. The next night, you will switch costumes with them. They get the Cauliflower, and you get their costume.

However, you can’t just steal their costume right in front of everyone! You have to lure them in. How? Simple.

Submit the name of one player to the mods by the end of the day. That night, we will forward them an anonymous note on your behalf, requesting a rendezvous. If they accept, you will switch your costume with theirs. If they do not, you can try again another night.

As a member of the Mafia, you have 24-hour private chat with your Mafia cohorts, Heuristically_Alone and Dimochka. Please be sure to copy the mods in all PMs.

The Ordinary Kids
Spoiler:
Carlington
Stereotype: Class stoner
Costume: Shaggy from Scooby Doo dressed as Space Ghost from Adult Swim

Like, zoinks, man, you thought that school would be the one place you didn’t have to put up with any monsters or villains or spooky stuff like this. And now there are killers on the loose. Great, just great. You left Scooby at home, the rest of the gang’s at the malt shop, and the snacks here aren’t even that good. Man, you just need to find a place to hide and wait this night out…

You are the town jailer and also, on occasion, its roleblocker.

A hearty stoner, you can invite people to go find a place to hide and smoke a joint. If they accept, nobody will be able to find them that night to target them (this doesn’t seem to apply to you, however. Trouble always seems to find you). Additionally, they’ll also be so mellowed out that they won’t be able to undertake any actions of their own that night.

How do you invite people to go have a toke? Simple.

Submit the name of one player to the mods by the end of each day. That night, we will forward them an anonymous note on your behalf, requesting a rendezvous. If they accept, you’ll take them to go smoke.

If you don’t feel like smoking on a particular night, however, you may also choose to act as a roleblocker as Space Ghost. This won’t keep your target safe, but you don’t need invite them. Just submit the name of the player you want to target to the mods.

As a member of the town, you win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

Sabrar
Stereotype: The outcast token ethnic/other minority who is usually killed first to make the main characters realize the serious shit they are in
Costume: Anya from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, dressed as a giant bunny

You’ve seen the movies. They always go for the ethnic minority kid first! Crap, man, you told your parents not to move to this small town where another ethnicity is strongly predominant and they didn’t listen. I mean, people have treated you pretty decently and everything, but, damn, it’s gonna get you killed! You’re not gonna let get you like this! You’re not just gonna be the dead minority kid!

You are a Watcher and Tracker, a member of the Town with an extra win condition.

As a watcher, you may choose one person every night. You will observe that person for the course of the night and learn who, if anybody, interacts with them.

Additionally, starting on Night 2, you may choose instead to be a tracker. As a tracker, you will instead choose somebody to follow and see who they choose to interact with.

Just submit the name of your intended target to the Mods, and, starting Night 2, specify whether you’d like to watch or track.

Oh, right, and your extra win condition? As the token minority, being the first to die is just embarrassing. You can only win with town if you live to Day 2. If you’re lynched D1 or die N1, you lose, even if the town wins.

Following this accomplishment, your win condition is the same as all other townies: You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

Madge
Stereotype: The Horny Virgin; the ugly nerd type who is always trying to get girls to, um, for the purposes of high school let's say "kiss" him
Costume: Brock from Pokemon

Oh crap. Crap, crap, crap, crap. You’ve seen horror movies before. You know what’s gonna happen here. Everyone’s gonna die. You’re gonna die, probably. But you can’t die yet! You’re still a virgin! Never to have felt the tender touch of another human being. You want to help out your classmates, and you want to catch the killers. But, more than anything, you know that you definitely cannot die a virgin!

You are town with an extra win condition. In order to win with town, whether you live or die, you first need to lose that pesky virginity. If you don’t lose the virginity, you lose twenty dollars and my self respect, even if town wins.

How do you lose it? Well, it’s actually much easier than you thought.

Submit the name of one player to the mods by the end of each day. That night, we will forward them an anonymous note on your behalf, requesting a rendezvous. If they accept, you will be “kissed” (as you termed it) and you can consider your virginity lost.

Following this, your win condition is the same as all other townies: You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

Additional information sent to Madge:

"You know what they say about Virgins in horror movies..." you hear a fellow student at the dance say.
This intrigues you. You move in closer.
"Wait, what about virgins?" Their friend asks. "Why are you bringing this up?"
"Virgins can't die in horror movies, don't you know that?" the first one replies. "So I guess the losers here are safe from all these attacks. I dunno though. I'm not sure it's worth it".
You stop, pondering this information.

You are receiving a new piece of information regarding your role.

As a horny virgin, you are lynch-proof (day-kills) and bullet-proof (night-kills) for as long as you remain a virgin.

Everything else in your original Role PM continues to apply.

The Mason Nerds
Spoiler:
moody7277
Stereotype: AV club nerd
Costume: Generic kzinti from the works of Larry Niven

As president of Munroe High AV Club, you have access to some pretty useful technology, giving you the opportunity to communicate better than anyone else. This could be a lifesaving advantage. But you’re gonna have to find the right people to share it with, or they’re going to have no idea how to work it. Additionally, you’ve been fiddling around with a certain gadget that you think may be life saving… it’s a little unstable though, and you’ll only have one chance to use it…

You are a Mason Recruiter and Paranoid Gun Owner, a member of the Town.

As Mason Recruiter, you have the ability to target one person per night to give them a portable radio, which will allow them to communicate with you, and all other radio-holders, through a secret PM chat. There are just a couple of caveats though:

First, this is pretty tricky technology, so not everybody is going to be able to understand how to use it. Therefore, you will only be successful recruiting other Nerds into the Mason chat. You feel that you can count on the other nerds definitely being pro-town, anyways.

Secondly, you cannot just give them a radio. They have to accept them. How does this work? Pretty easy.

Submit the name of one player to the mods by the end of each day. That night, we will forward them an anonymous note on your behalf, requesting a rendezvous. If they accept, they will get a radio. If they are a nerd, they will be able to use it, and will be able to participate in the Mason Chat.

Oh yeah, and that device. You have a device that you’ve created which can perform one kill. As the Paranoid Gun Owner, this device will kill the first person to target you while it is armed, no matter who they are or what their intentions are. The device is armed any night you are not attempting to recruit for the Mason Chat.

As a member of the town, you win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

matt96
Stereotype: Marching band nerd
Costume: F.F. from Stone Ocean

Too many people are getting hurt, and you don’t like that. Being in the Marching Band, watching football players getting pummeled from the sidelines, inspired you to look into medicine as a future career. Additionally, it seems like your F.F. costume is oddly… accurate. It seems to be able to plug up wounds well. Maybe you can use this… But it’s going to be difficult. You can’t just go up and treat people without their permission! That might be dangerous! And unethical!

You are a Doctor, a member of the Town. Each night, you may choose to target one player. That one player will be protected from dying for that night.

However, there is a caveat. Everybody is sort of jumpy, and suspicious of people approaching them. In order to protect somebody, you must first ask their permission.

How do you do this? Simple.

Submit the name of one player to the mods by the end of each day. That night, we will forward them an anonymous note on your behalf, requesting a rendezvous. If they accept, you will be allowed to protect them for that night.

As a member of the town, you win when all threats to town have been eliminated.

jimbobmacdoodle
Stereotype: Nerd, not to be confused with the geek
Costume: Cyberman from Doctor Who

This is not good. Something bad is here. Your fellow students are in danger. Their commitment to democracy, even in hunting Mafia, is cute, but you’re not sure it’s entirely effective. You think that more direct action has to be taken in order to stop them. Your Cyberman costume is pretty tough. You think you might be able to use it, but you’re only going to have one shot…

You are the Vigilante, a member of the Town.

You may choose one player to target at night. That player will be killed. However, this is a One-Shot ability.

mpolo
Stereotype: Nerd
Costume: Nyarlthotep the Crawling Chaos, Soul and Messenger of the Outer Gods from the works of HP Lovecraft

Things do not look good here. You may be dressed as a god of chaos and madness, but you don’t actually want any of your classmates harmed! Nerdy as you are, you’re pretty observant, and you think that can be useful. But you also like staying alive, and to that end, well, you’re Nyarlathotep costume is pretty accurate, and very changeable…

You are an Undercover Cop, a member of the Town. Like a normal cop, you may choose to submit the name of one player every night to investigate. You will receive the results of the investigation the following morning. However, being undercover, should you choose not to investigate anyone on a particular night, you may use your wonderful shape-shifting Nyarlthotep costume to keep yourself hidden, and you will be immune from any kills during that night.

The Outcasts
Spoiler:
adnapemit
Stereotype: Loner
Costume: Sailor Pluto from Sailor Moon

A great horror has descended upon Munroe High. You’ve made your peace that many will die. Perhaps even you will die. The killers will strike and the students will retaliate in their fright. But there is one that they cannot kill. The most important person in the world. They don’t know who you are, but you’ve watched them through your years together here. You’ve admired them. They’re too good, too significant, too special to be just another victim of this madness. You must protect them, at any cost.

You are a Guardian Angel, an independently-aligned figure with one goal in mind. You want to protect a certain somebody from death during this game.

That person is Moody7277.

In order to assist you in your mission to keep Moody7277 alive, you have been given a One-Shot Bodyguard Ability. If they are targeted any night to be killed, you will throw yourself in harm’s way, sacrificing your life on their behalf.

You win if Moody7277 is still alive by the end of the game. You don’t care whether you they win or lose, or even if you die in the process, so long as they remain alive.

generalz
Stereotype: The joker
Costume: Halloween ghost

When everybody said you were the class Joker, they didn’t think it was, like, Batman villain levels, man! Your sense of humor is full-on homicidal maniac! Of course, you’ve kept it quiet, waiting for the perfect time to spring your trap. But tonight seems like as good a night as any. With everyone focusing on this Mafia, they’ll barely have time for you, sneaking around in the background, causing additional mayhem. And if you happen to hit the Mafia, well… joke’s on them, too.

You are the Serial Killer. Once per night, you may select one other player to target. If you are successful, you will kill them.

However, you can’t just kill somebody straight out. There’s no humor in that! It has to be elegant! Ironic! They have to put themselves in your hands.

How does this happen? Simple.

Submit the name of one player to the mods by the end of each day. That night, we will forward them an anonymous note on your behalf, requesting a rendezvous. If they accept, you’ll kill them.

You have a few advantages to help you, though. You’re sneaky, and being a ghost makes you pretty inconspicuous. Therefore, you are both untrackable and unwatchable to anyone who may have the power to do either.

As Serial Killer, you win when you are the last man standing, or this is inevitable.

Thanks again for your patience!

Znirk wrote:And yes, thanks everyone for playing - particularly to everybody who spontaneously joined in on the killing during Night 2 :)
Please play more often. I'd like to be on your team. :lol:

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:43 pm UTC

Thanks for finishing that up, Bessie (and Diemo). You put in a lot more work than I did, but it was fun to hash this one out.

To the players, what did you think of the ability to choose whether or not to be affected by certain abilities in this game (the note-passing roles)?
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:22 am UTC

SDK wrote:Thanks for finishing that up, Bessie (and Diemo). You put in a lot more work than I did, but it was fun to hash this one out.

To the players, what did you think of the ability to choose whether or not to be affected by certain abilities in this game (the note-passing roles)?

True, and I forgot those thanks -- excellent job, mod team.

The note passing ... hard to tell (I never got a note), but it feels like something that would shine more in a longer/larger game. Now we went from "Oh hey, [other] people can pass notes [too]" through "Oh hey, accepting a note can get you killed" fairly directly to "Oh hey, the game's over". This time it was more of a power density mitigation system than something to play with in its own right.

Return to “Mafia”