MMM II - Day 3: The Massacre at Munroe High

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Djehutynakht

MMM II - Day 3: The Massacre at Munroe High

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:21 am UTC

Monstrous Masquerade Mafia II
Another High School Horror Story

It was a dark, windy night. The month of October was almost at its end, but there was still one more night for it to go out with a bang. Halloween. The night of ghosts, mischief, foolery, candy, and horror. Cars pulled up in the parking lot of Munroe High School as many of its students, now rowdy and dressed in a wide variety of strange and exciting costumes, made their way to the gym. They laughed, and they joked, and they fooled, and they met up with their friends and commented on each others weird and cool concoctions. A few were a little tipsy, or stoned. This party would be a blast. Principle was a bit weird, but they'd dance in the gym for a few hours then sneak off to have the rest of the night to their own devices.

Or so they thought.

Little did these young, innocent, precocious high school students know that among them lurked killers. Monsters, if not of the supernatural kind then of the kind that meant cold blooded murderer. Among their fellow students were some who had become vicious, become totally insane. Who tucked knives under their costumes. Who walked among them, smiles on their faces all the same, but who, behind their cold, dead eyes, plotted murder.

Not everyone would survive tonight's dance at Munroe High.

________________________________________________________________________________

Some Standard School Rules:

Spoiler:
1.Do not talk about the game outside this thread. Apart from a properly labeled spoiler in the discussion thread.
2. Please stay on topic.
3. Lurking is discouraged. Please notify the mod if unable to play. Lurkers may be removed or replaced if no response given.
4. If you aren't part of the game, please do not post in the thread.
5. Do not post in this thread during the night.
6. The dead will only be allowed to give a final death post. Me being who I am, I cannot deny any of you a death flavor post. But please, no spoilers.
7. You may not post verbatim or quote from your role PM. Paraphrasing is fine.
8. You may not edit your posts.
9. You must play to your current win condition.
10. All votes, unvotes and question go on a separate line, bolded.
11. Questions may be asked to the mod in public, bolded, or by PM.
12. Deadlines will apply firmly whether a mod calls them or not. A grace period may be retroactively granted. Pure discussion may continue until night is called.
13. No cryptography
14. No self targeting.
15. The third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death.

Some specific rules worthy of note:

1. Some elements in this game may or may not be considered by some to be Bastard. This is a fair warning. We cannot confirm nor deny that roles or win conditions may change for certain individuals.
2. All lynch ties will result in a small extension, during which is it encouraged, but not mandatory, to break the tie. If after this extension there is still a tie, there will be no lynch.
3. Please copy all co-mods on every PM. Your co-mods for this game are:
-Djehutynakht
-Bessie
-SDK
-Diemo
(I may revise this if there are too many people to fit on a single message. I forget the limit)

4. Due to our unprecedented delays, we're going to try and make this game as pseudo-nightless as possible. Please submit any actions, when possible, in advance of night. We will try and process everything as quickly as possible.

Student Roster:
Complete with costumes and costume origins, for reference.

1. Sabrar - Giant Bunny (Anya from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) - DEAD - Watcher, Tracker/Town/Token Minority
2. jimbobmacdoodle - Cyberman (Dr. Who) - DEAD - Vigilante/Town/Nerd
3. Carlington - Shaggy, dressed as Space Ghost (Scooby Doo and Space Ghost)
4. Dimochka - Freddy Krueger (Nightmare on Elm Street)
5. moody7277 - Kzinti (works of Larry Neven) - DEAD - Mason Recruiter, Paranoid Gun Owner/Town/AV Club Nerd
6. Madge - Brock (Pokemon)
7. Znirk - Giant Cauliflower
8. mpolo - Nyarlathotep (Lovecraft)
9. matt96 - F.F./Foo Fighters (Stone Ocean) - DEAD - Doctor/Town/Marching Band Nerd
10. adnapemit - Sailor Pluto (Sailor Moon) - DEAD - Guardian Angel/Independent/Loner
11. generalz - a Ghost! - DEAD - Serial Killer/Joker
12. Heuristically_alone/ Gopher of Pern - Boggart (Harry Potter) - DEAD - Strongman/Mafia/Always Home Sick
Last edited by Djehutynakht on Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:22 am UTC, edited 9 times in total.

Djehutynakht

Re: Monstrous Masquerade Mafia II- Pre-Game

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:26 am UTC

Pre-Game

Police Report

Date: 07:00 PM Monday, October 31, 1988
Incident Type: Multiple Homicide

Filing Date: November 1, 1988
Officers Reporting: Powell, Callahan

Incident Summary:

Munroe High School hosted their annual Halloween Costume Party for students at 7 pm on October 31 in the school gym. In attendance were many members of the Munroe High student body, as well as numerous faculty, including MHS Principle Djehutynakht, Vice Principal Ms. Bessie, teachers Mr. SDK and Mr. Diemo, and Custodian Suzaku. In the course of our investigation, we have narrowed down the list of involved students in the incident, including victims, to 12 specific individuals, whose names and costume aliases are attached (see Sheet 1).

In order to completely understand the bizarre and horrific course of events which took place over the night of October 31 to November 1st at Munroe High School, we have meticulously reconstructed the timeline of events through witness testimony and evidence found at the scene of the crime.

The chain of events at Munroe High School was sparked by the murder of a student named SirGabriel. In due course the students of Munroe High came to know that several unidentified individuals among their numbers had established a subversive cohort known as “the Mafia”, whose goal was to target their fellow students for murder at pre-determined intervals during the night. It appears that the student body took it upon themselves, possibly with the collusion of school staff, to retaliate against this group by formulating a system of vigilante justice, whereas students would try to determine, through evidence and speculation, the individuals most likely to be participating in the Mafia, and successively lynch those they found most guilty by popular vote. Recommendations are to be made to the Attorney General at a later date as to whether participants in this vigilante system should face charges for their involvement. The consequences of this system are addressed throughout the report.

In order to reconstruct the narrative of events, we first turn to the testimony of Principal Djehutynakht, which touches upon the beginning of the school party, the murder of SirGabriel, and the start of the system of vigilante justice to retaliate against ‘the Mafia’.

[Continued on Page 2.]

Djehutynakht

Re: MMM II - Day 1: The Murder and the Lynch-Mob

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:03 am UTC

Day 1
The Murder and the Lynch-Mob

Police Report
Interview:
Witness: Djehutynakht, Principal, Munroe High School
Interviewing Officers: Powell, Callahan

POW: Please state your name and occupation.

DJE: Djehutynakht. Principal, Munroe High School.

POW: Djehutynakht? Is that your first or last name?

DJE: Yes.

POW: Excuse me?

CAL: Geehootsynak, huh? What is that? Dutch? Swedish? Polish?

DJE: Middle Egyptian.

CAL: Uhhhh… huh.

POW: Okay, Mr.…er…Djehutynakht, how long have you been at Munroe High?

DJE: Well the curse says I’m bound for 300 years, but as of now I’ve been there about five years since August.

[Note: Request mental eval. – POW]

CAL: So… according to our records, one of your primary residences listed is a manor house. You afford that on a principal’s salary?

DJE: I’m independently wealthy.

CAL: And according to our records there was an incident there at a Halloween party you hosted about… 2 years back? It bears some similarities to last night’s events.

DJE: Oh, that? That was nothing. Just a minor incident. No big deal.

POW: 15 people died!

DJE: Hey! Most of those were only temporary! We just had a pest problem!

CAL: It says here that one of your teachers… a Mr. SDK, was involved?

DJE: That medical condition is well documented! The students consider him a role model!

POW: Okay, okay, okay. Enough. Mr. Djehutynakht, can we get your account of how the night began?

DJE: I don’t know. Can you?

POW: [audibly exasperated] Teachers…. Okay, -mayyyy- we get your account of how the night began?

DJE: Certainly, officers. Now, let’s see…

As I’m sure you remember, Halloween was a particularly nice day. The leaves were at their peak of change. Lots of reds, oranges, streaks of yellow. It was a pleasant day. A bit cool out, but nothing too freezing. A light breeze. It was the perfect day for a Halloween, if the weather continued into the night, which, of course, it did.

POW: We don’t need a weather report. We know what it was like yesterday.

DJE: Fine. Well, the school day itself was pretty normal. Nothing out of the usual, pretty standard, except for the fact that a lot of students wore costumes to school, of course. Except, er… maybe we had some supplies and equipment go missing.

CAL: Supplies and equipment? Like what?

DJE: Oh… um… a few chemicals from the lab. Some tools from shop. A few things from home ec. Acids, solvents, saws, axes, power tools, baking soda, that kind of thing…

POW: These stolen objects wouldn’t happen to match the murder weapons we uncovered, would they?

DJE: They… er… um… maybe….. Look, the school committee has us on a tight enough budget as it is. I was trying to see if I could recover anything myself before I had to report them and had the committee on my back again.

POW: Right… okay. So, go on. Besides the theft of several extremely dangerous things from the school, it was a normal day?

DJE: Yeah, pretty much. School got out around 2:45, and the students were due back at the gymnasium by 7:00 for the Halloween Party.

CAL: What’d you do in the meantime?

DJE: We got ready. We finished putting up all the decorations in the gym. We had streamers and paper bats and Jack-O-Lanterns. We got the skeleton from the bio lab all gussied up. Some lights, a fog machine. We got the games ready. Bobbing for apples, that kind of thing. The audio system for music. A snack bar. We even had a haunted house all set up. But you knew that already, cause of the murder… but anyways, yeah! I mean, we were busy getting the place ready to go for when everyone came back. It took us a lot longer than we thought. But, you know, I can put on a half-decent shindig on a tight budget.

POW: And who was helping set up for the party?

DJE: Oh. Well, it was me, my Vice Principal, Ms. Bessie, two teachers, Mr. SDK and Mr. Diemo, the Custodian, Suzaku, and a few kids who were volunteering from Student Council.

POW: Kids? What kids?

DJE: Let me give you their names.

[DJE’s list of student volunteers matches the list of 12 specific individuals identified by this department as being most involved in the events of October 31, as well as SirGabriel, the first murder victim.]

CAL: And were you keeping an eye on what all of these kids were doing while you set up for the party?

DJE: Well, not really. I mean, we supervised them, but we were busy getting ready. Plus, they’re high school kids. They’re old enough to handle themselves.

POW: And these kids could have been doing anything while you were setting up?

DJE: Well I guess that…. Oh, crap.

POW: So the party started at 7:00. Then what?

DJE: Well the volunteers had all brought their costumes to school, so they all went to go change. The rest of the students lined up in front of the gym. We checked their tickets, and then let them in. It was a great party, if I do say so myself. Lot of music. The best hits. Some dancing—we had to police that part. You know kids… they smash right up against each other these days if you’re not there to pry them apart. And the costumes, the costumes were fantastic. One kid was Freddy Krueger. Another was this big robot thing called a Cyberman, and there was this thing called a Kzinti, which is like a big tiger-man thing. Shaggy was dressed up as Space Ghost… you know, from TV? One kid was a giant bunny. Another was a ghost… I appreciated that. Not a lot of traditional costumes any more. Halloween’s supposed to be scary! There were a few other freaky ones. Two kids dressed up as Nyarlathotep and a Boggart… those were seriously complex ones. Must have took them ages to perfect!
There were a few weird ones though. People didn’t know what they were. Madge’s costume, for instance. Who the heck is Brock, anyways? Matt was this thing called a ‘Foo Fighter’? I don’t know. Must be one of those new-fangled Japanese things. And Adnapemit too… dressed as this girl he called Sailor Pluto?

CAL: From Popeye?

DJE: No, that’s Bluto. This one was like, a teenage girl, and she didn’t seem to have any nautical attributes whatsoever. Kids these days, you know? But there’s always one laughingstock of the party, and last night it was Znirk. He was dressed up as a giant Cauliflower.

CAL: Why Cauliflower?

DJE: He said the store was all out of pumpkins.

POW: Right. Right… Well, can you tell us about what happened to SirGabriel?

DJE: Oh, right. Yeah, of course. He died.

CAL:

POW: We know that! How did he die?

DJE: Stabbing.

POW: Would you care to elaborate?

DJE: Well, it’s rather traumatic. SirGabriel was DJing up on the stage—the gym doubles as our auditorium. Like I said, budget constraints. He was doing a halfway decent job for a high school kid… I personally wasn’t totally on board with all his selections, but it definitely wasn’t worth murdering him over!

Anyways, everybody’s dancing, talking, having a good time, and then, suddenly, the music starts going all haywire. It’s scratchy and jumpy and screeching and nobody knows what the heck is going on. So we all look over at the stage and… there’s SirGabriel, slumped over on top of the turntables with a knife sticking out of his back!

Suddenly there’s a mad dash for the auditorium doors but they won’t open! They’ve all been locked! People are pushing them, hitting them, but they’re not budging! And then suddenly the intercom system turns on… those little gremlins broke into my office!

POW: And did you recognize the voice?

DJE: [Laughs]. No, no… the intercom isn’t that good. Like I said, budget restraints… but anyways, they said that anyone who tried to leave the school would be killed, that the students here had it coming to them, and that they were going to kill one student, on the hour, every hour. Then they wished us a Happy Halloween, and the audio cut out.

CAL: And then what happened?

DJE: Well, it was pretty clear that we had some bad hombres in our midst. I tried calming the students down, but the twelve I just mentioned, they took charge pretty quickly. They said that the student body wasn’t going down without a fight. That they were going to find out who was part of this nefarious gang, and that they were going to stop them by any means necessary.

POW: And you didn’t try to take control of the situation…?

DJE: At Munroe High School we encourage students to develop their own methods of problem solving.

POW: [At this point places his face in the palms of his hands and takes a long sigh again.] Fine. Well, what happened after that?

DJE: Well, let me show you…

[Continued.]

It is now Day 1.

Day 1 will tentatively end at 11:59:59 PM EST, Friday, October 28.

I’m trying to keep it short because it’s Day 1, but if people feel no progress has been made by Friday we can extend past Halloween.

Also, as a reminder, we're trying to run nights as short as possible so please try to submit all night actions by Day's end, if at all possible. Thanks!

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:52 am UTC

Thankyou for the flavour DJ, it was absolutely worth the wait. I can't wait to see what happens over the next few days, flavour-wise.

So, 12 players. I'd assume 7/3/1/1, with mafia and an SK both and some random third party role. But that's without accounting for the DJ factor.

That said, I just skimmed last year's offering (which started on Oct 23 so don't worry DJ you are not late by that metric!) and I was reminded that the main antagonists weren't able to kill, just recruit. So we shouldn't expect everything to be completely typical in this game.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:53 am UTC

Good morning everyone! Love the flavour.

I suspect we have 3 scum, with possibly an indie or two. Based on flavor SK seems less likely but don't hold me to that.

PS: Obligatory cryptic reference that might be explained later if it becomes necessary: I am 100% certain that Suzaku had a major part in creating my role.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:54 am UTC

EBWOP because Ninja
@Madge: why do you assume we have an SK?

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:58 am UTC

I agree flavour makes SK less likely, but I'd expect to see one in a game this size without accounting for the DJ factor.

I feel like we've got something special in store. I'm excited.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:06 am UTC

Gmoop vfwoop! Dnugh fwrroh bfflh ...

umph ...

<zzzzzzzzip> ... @**&/¢ bloody costume ...

Hello there, fellow students. Znirk reporting in, for what is my second-ever forum-based Mafia game (first one was the alphabetized PYP about a year ago).

Madge, would you like to elaborate on the phrase "DJ factor"?

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:16 am UTC

DJ is very creative and is likely to have done something we might not have seen before, especially with some helpful co-mods on his side. He also likes to subvert expectations (last year's Draculafia with the only killing roles being the SK and the Vig)

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:18 am UTC

Unmatched parenthesis in the first post, this game is Halloween appropriate scary.

I agree SK doesn't fit with the flavour. A Vig would though(or some other role with kills) so we might still see multiple deaths in a night.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:44 am UTC

*DELETE... DELETE*

Ahem. Based purely on flavour I'd be surprised if there isn't a traditional Mafia faction involved. I'm a little non-committal about other factions at the moment. 7-3-1-1 would certainly make sense, although I doubt it's that due to DJ's tendencies. A cult or other recruiting faction certainly is within the realms of possibility - both the last two games had recruiters. I expect at least one crazy role, with the rest being fairly traditional power roles - MMM1 had Madge's Phoenix, and Dr Frankenstein at the least, and Draculafia had my Orlok Usurper role. I expect to see clues to in game events in the flavour as well, both pre-game and night/day flavour - see D2's start flavour for SDK's death in Draculafia for example.

Vote generalz

for having a boring costume.

Unrelated to anything - I feel like DJ missed a trick in the flavour for not making himself the DJ. I hope there's no full moon during the course of this year's game as well, as the last thing we need is a co-mod turning into a werewolf...

Finally, why a giant cauliflower, Znirk?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:00 am UTC

Vote: mpolo

Because eldritch Gods terrify me.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:18 am UTC

Well, the principal told us we should be scary. Do you know how long it took to make a costume that can represent the Dark Pharaoh, the Crawling Chaos, and a simple piper to the Daemon Sultan, not to mention some masks of my own invention? I'd expect some appreciation for the work I put into it.

As to setup, the flavor mentions that some of the students formed a "Mafia" group, but that doesn't mean that it's "traditional", yet I would expect it to be a typical "chat and kill" group. I don't have any particular information about factions from my role, so this is complete speculation. I think about 3-4 bad guys, possibly divided into separate groups (especially if somebody submitted a stereotype like "loner" or "outsider").
Image <-- Evil experiment

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:05 am UTC

Random Q&A just to start somewhere: I assume most of you had some specific role in mind when you submitted your archetype. Without revealing what it was, did you get the result that was your intention or are you surprised by the role you received?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:25 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:Random Q&A just to start somewhere: I assume most of you had some specific role in mind when you submitted your archetype. Without revealing what it was, did you get the result that was your intention or are you surprised by the role you received?
I didn't have a specific role in mind, but I could think of a few that would work. The role I received wasn't one of those I thought of immediately, but it certainly fits.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:39 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Finally, why a giant cauliflower, Znirk?

The flavour text pretty much picks up what I wrote to the mods: I wanted a pumpkin, but the costume shop was out.

Or, stepping back a little: Not being from the anglosphere, Halloween means nothing to me. I have no cherished childhood memories, and no respect for the present-day pushers of injection-molded Chinese crap trying to establish the holiday around here. Hence a slight piss-take.

Sabrar wrote:I assume most of you had some specific role in mind when you submitted your archetype. Without revealing what it was, did you get the result that was your intention or are you surprised by the role you received?

I didn't have a specific role in mind, it was more of an open offer to the mods with a thought of "Let's see what they do with that". In hindsight, the result is unsurprising.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:43 am UTC

To join the Circle of Speculation: The thefts from the flavour suggest that many different causes of death will make an appearance. That might be just preparation for future flavour, but might also be a loose pointer in the general direction of "there are many different ways to get killed in the game".

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:58 am UTC

I chose my stereotype by choosing from a list of high school stereotypes I found on buzzfeed or something.

My role is nonstandard too. I kind of expected that, though. With DJ you can kiss all your preconceived notions of normal roles goodbye.

Standard town win condition, for the record.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:34 pm UTC

Vote: Znirk

Vegetables annoy me.

So, Madge gives some very useful advise about DJ's like of fascinating complicated roles, then proceeds to give a fairly standard breakdown. I guess she thinks that there's going to be some weird stuff within the factions.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:05 pm UTC

Love the flavor!

I've never been a fan of using the flavor to determine anything important, like factions, ect. For me, flavor is there for flavors sake.

I did not have a role in mind when thinking about my costume, but picked a costume which I thought would make sense in any faction. Anyhow I am town. No independent role for me this game.

@sabrar
Apparently you had some role in mmind when submitting your costume. Did you get what you intended or are you surprised with your role?

VOTE: Znirk
For having scariest costume.
I am a blood moon.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:You should call yourself Rapunzel. Y'know, because rap puns sell.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:10 pm UTC

@heuristically_alone:
- I did not ask about your costume, rather the 'High School Stereotype' you submitted.
- usually we try to avoid having multiple joke-votes on the same player.
- as for myself I did indeed have a role in mind but the mods have twisted it (although in a logical sense).

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:11 pm UTC

I didn't really have a role in mind when I submitted the costume. I had recently read most of the Dreamlands cycle of H.P. Lovecraft, so Nyarlathotep came to mind. That said, while the role fits fine with the costume and the stereotype, I never would have imagined that combination. Maybe a little bit from the stereotype…

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:28 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:@heuristically_alone:
- I did not ask about your costume, rather the 'High School Stereotype' you submitted.
- usually we try to avoid having multiple joke-votes on the same player.
- as for myself I did indeed have a role in mind but the mods have twisted it (although in a logical sense).

Well I read your question wrong haha.

I didn't realize there were "joke vote rules". I've seen multiple joke votes on same person a plethora of times on mafiascum. I agree it would be rude for 6 people to joke vote one person.

Thank you for the info.

UNVOTE
I am a blood moon.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:34 pm UTC

I misread Sabrar's question too. Not sure how my archetype fits my role, but the same applies as with my costume - no specific thoughts, possibly a few ideas.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:36 pm UTC

Hi everyone, it's soooo awesome to be here! I'm Jess.. err.. Freddy the Cheerleader, nice to meet you all! Do you want to play with my pom poms? They bring all the ghouls to the yard. And damn right they're better than anyone else's. Especially yours.

This whole situation is horrible. It's like ugh... I have a blood smudge on my dress. My dry cleaning bill is through the roof. You all need to be more careful, my rags are Versace limited edition!

You all know that I'm sometimes a loner, but the party just always comes to me. So when I was getting over here, I was trying to decide between my multiple personalities and consulted our principal. He mentioned that I'll be accepted either way. So I don't think that we should really judge people on their personality types, I doubt they matter. What matters more so is how they cheer for me when I jump up and down or scream when I chase them in their dreams. On that note, anyone want to do my 4th grade math homework? I'll let you borrow my Freddy hat if you do! XOXO

Also Sabrar has my vote for Prom King. That bunny looks soo cute!

Vote: Sabrar

Wait.. is that not what the vote is for?
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

generalz

Postby generalz » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:36 pm UTC

OooooOOOOooooOOoooOOoooo

Excellent flavor! I really like all the effort put in the game, I will try to do my best to match that...

To answer Sabrar's question: I didn't have anything in mind regarding my archetype (I really was a <REDACTED> back in high school), also not very surprised because it fits quite well with the universe.

Vote: jimbob
For thinking ghosts are boring.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:02 pm UTC

Well, gang, what do we think of that post of Dimochka's? Just getting into the flavour, or perhaps hiding nudges and hints to be referred to in a later claim? Because if it's the latter, I find that message suspiciously ... full: The idea could be to throw a lot of different things against the wall, see what sticks, some time later pick whatever's convenient to remind people of, and ignore other parts of the message.

It might just be flavour, but I'll keep this in mind when watching Dimochka's future actions.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:37 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:Well, gang, what do we think of that post of Dimochka's? Just getting into the flavour, or perhaps hiding nudges and hints to be referred to in a later claim? Because if it's the latter, I find that message suspiciously ... full: The idea could be to throw a lot of different things against the wall, see what sticks, some time later pick whatever's convenient to remind people of, and ignore other parts of the message.

It might just be flavour, but I'll keep this in mind when watching Dimochka's future actions.

Aww Cauli, I like it when people watch me :wink:
All I'm saying is that, to my limited knowledge (there's only so much that I can remember!), we should not be stereotyping. According to our beloved principal it should not make a difference. Unless I get preferential treatment? That's possible too!

Re: my roleplaying
Spoiler:
If anyone is offended by me playing a very stereotypical cheerleader, please PM me - feel free to cc the mods - and I'll tone it down
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:52 am UTC

@dimochka
I don't think you are being cheerleader enough. Our school needs your team spirit during this grim time!

In 1998 just after Halloween, there were two students killed at Monroe High School. Perhaps a connection? Was anyone here old enough to hold a gun that year?
I am a blood moon.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:53 am UTC

Znirk wrote:Well, gang, what do we think of that post of Dimochka's? Just getting into the flavour, or perhaps hiding nudges and hints to be referred to in a later claim? Because if it's the latter, I find that message suspiciously ... full: The idea could be to throw a lot of different things against the wall, see what sticks, some time later pick whatever's convenient to remind people of, and ignore other parts of the message.

This is an interesting idea, however I don't think anyone would need such complicated and suspiciously looking tactics as it's quite easy to hide secret messages in your text for later discovery.

Unvote
Vote: dimochka

Every Prom King needs a Queen. :lol:

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:22 am UTC

While I may not have fit my archetype when I was in high school, it's a little closer to the mark these days. Honestly, though, my archetype and character wasn't submitted with even a thought as to what role or power I might draw. I just did something I thought would be really quite fun. It seems to have turned out for the best, in any case.

A large part of me wants to commit to the role-playing as hard as dimochka has, because this game would be, like, totally awesome, Scoob! if everyone did, but at the same time I don't want to eschew the useful info we can gain through metagaming.

On which note - I don't really like seeing people use "it wouldn't fit the flavour" as a justification for no SK. It seems a little hasty, not least because I can think of ways to fit it to the flavour off the top of my head (copycat killers, for one) and even without doing so it wouldn't be hard to work in some sort of bit about "the Mafia knew there would be some gruesome things going down tonight, but they never expected they were in any danger themselves!"
I am very interested in how early the possibility of SK was raised and dismissed, so I'm looking askance at Sabrar (also because he's kinda active lurky...asking questions but not really doing anything with them, multiple joke vote posts).
adnapemit was pretty quick to agree that SK wasn't likely, and I'm curious about why she was so quick to accept that, but not too suss yet.
dimochka seems to just be having a lot of fun with his role, but I'm hesitant to ignore the possibility that it's a method of obfuscating his posts.
jimbob and mpolo both have some reasonable gestures towards set-up spec, as well as answering questions that have been posed.
Znirk, similarly, has pushed in an interesting direction regarding dimochka, but there doesn't seem to be much besides
heury has posted a bit here and there, but it has kinda been emptyish questions which is weird.
generalz I think has only posted once for a joke vote
As moody highlights, Madge made a good point about the DJ factor, and I would definitely agree that an annual themed game would have some craziness going on (especially in view of probably wanting to top previous years and especially due to the amount of mods).
As for moody himself, there's still not much to say, as he's only had that one post I mentioned.

All in all, I'm trying not to view people who haven't posted much as being scummy, both because this is only my first post and I'm not a hypocrite, and because it's still early days, there's not much to poke at, fair's fair. Far more interesting to me are people who have posted a lot without providing a corresponding amount of content. I understand the push to look active early on and avoid looking lurky/scummy...but scum is way more interested in not seeming scummy at the outset, so...
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:35 am UTC

@Carlington: you really think that it is fair to call anyone 'active lurky' after just 1 irl day of play? Especially as we participated in multiple games together so you should know that I'm always at the top regarding post count and obviously there is precious little actual game-related stuff to go on in the early hours of D1.
Also most people stated that they did not have a specific role in mind which was the whole premise of my question, so what exactly do you think I should be doing with the answers?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:42 am UTC

EBWOP: Here is another example where I speculate about having no SK in my opening post. I was Town there as well.
Seriously, why is the first reaction of some people every time someone downplays the possibility of a threat to automatically assume that the player in question is the specific type of scum they mention?

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:43 am UTC

Carlington wrote:heury has posted a bit here and there, but it has kinda been emptyish questions which is weird

I don't think I have ever played a game where at least one player "usually D1" mentions my posts being weird. Haha, happens every single time.

Players who have mentioned possible lack of SK due to flavour:
Sabrar (with an indifferent 'but that doesn't mean there can't be one')
Madge (though also posted that likely an SK exists due to game size)
adnpaemit ("SK doesn't seem to fit due to flavour")

It would be a very SK role thing to post to attempt to diminish the possibility of an existing SK. Yet at the same time I find it hard to believe and SK with make such a risky post so early in the game.
I am a blood moon.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:26 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:Seriously, why is the first reaction of some people every time someone downplays the possibility of a threat to automatically assume that the player in question is the specific type of scum they mention?

Because occasionally they are actually what they are downplaying.
Not always but it's usually safer to assume they are (in the same line of thinking as it is safer to assume everyone is mafia).

Sabrar wrote:Random Q&A just to start somewhere: I assume most of you had some specific role in mind when you submitted your archetype. Without revealing what it was, did you get the result that was your intention or are you surprised by the role you received?

I had several guesses of what the result would be. My actual role was not one of my guesses but not completely unexpected.

Carlington wrote:adnapemit was pretty quick to agree that SK wasn't likely, and I'm curious about why she was so quick to accept that, but not too suss yet.

I feel like it wouldn't fit the flavour so far presented. The actual likeliness of the being an SK is the same as any other game. If the game has more than 9 player then I think it's quite likely there will be multiple death at night and this being likely caused by a SK.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:41 pm UTC

Let us try this from another approach: if you haven't done already so, please try to breadcrumb your submitted archetype and/or your received role in a way that will help you prove your claim later on, should it come to that.
The main purpose of this exercise would be to limit the space of available false-claims for scum.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:34 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:EBWOP: Here is another example where I speculate about having no SK in my opening post. I was Town there as well.
Seriously, why is the first reaction of some people every time someone downplays the possibility of a threat to automatically assume that the player in question is the specific type of scum they mention?

"He who smelt it, dealt it?"

On the dimochka thing, I've seen some players who'd do in-character posting, some well, some not so well. His particular post here was on the better side of the scale, it's just not something I'm used to seeing from him, though dim may be able to point to some of his earlier efforts.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:27 pm UTC

I've tried to make some sort of an indication of the direction of my archetype, but I keep getting caught up in a debate as to whether Captain Picard or Captain Kirk is better. For those of you worried about the math test, don't be. The use of interpolation in the calculation of the values of trigonometric functions is really easy as pie. (Or should I say pi?)

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:36 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Let us try this from another approach: if you haven't done already so, please try to breadcrumb your submitted archetype and/or your received role in a way that will help you prove your claim later on, should it come to that.
The main purpose of this exercise would be to limit the space of available false-claims for scum.
I suspect many people may be uncomfortable with that, at least for roles. A) Scum could breadcrumb multiple false claims ready for use later, picking whichever is appropriate at the needed time, and b) There's a risk that your breadcrumb is too obvious, in which case scum may see it, and have a good reason to kill you (or not) and/or do something else that might be related to knowing your role. I for one have never been any good at trying to come up with a suitable breadcrumb that wasn't immediately obvious, so I don't think I ever bothered posting one. That all being said, IF I can come up with a decent breadcrumb, I might post it.

I don't see any point in breadcrumbing my archetype. At least for me, there's no obvious connection between it and my role. This may differ for other players.

In both cases, unless everybody agrees to do it, there's no point in doing it - scum could just as easily say they didn't do it, if they haven't got a pre-laid breadcrumb for a false claim ready.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:46 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:scum could just as easily say they didn't do it, if they haven't got a pre-laid breadcrumb for a false claim ready.

I can understand your caution but the above is exactly why I proposed it because we might be able to more easily verify people's claims if they are accompanied by a breadcrumb, so we would look at those who did not do it with more suspicion. Obviously I didn't mean it to be compulsory and if you're unable to come up with a good solution then so be it.

Return to “Mafia”