MMM II - Day 3: The Massacre at Munroe High

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

jimbobmacdoodle

Re: MMM II - Day 2: The Lobotomy in the Biology Lab

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:04 am UTC

Madge wrote:My win condition too easy? My win condition is by definition harder than the town win condition (have one note accepted, then I win iff town wins). If your win condition is harder than that, well, FoS on you, jimbob.
Sorry, I should have been clearer - I meant in comparison to generalz's claimed one, not as in overall. So, if he flips as claimed, I think there is a (small) reason to doubt you. Other than that, I've not actually seen anything damning from you, but also nothing particularly townie, from what I remember.

Assuming generalz is not Mafia, it is my opinion that there is 1-2 scum in the group {Sabrar, dimochka, Carlington, Madge}, with it tending more towards the latter end. However, that's based purely on gut feelings, and what I could remember this morning without a re-read. I will definitely need to do a re-read before I make any firm decisions on the matter.

Also forgot to do this earlier:

Vote Gopher of Pern

Putting him at L-2, I believe.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:50 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Is Carlington due a modprod?

That's fair.

Prodded.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:05 pm UTC

Hi friends. I've been reading but not posting for a bit and then yesterday and today trying to remind my computer what a master boot record is. I'm tired and frustrated right now, but I'll try and give you a post tomorrow. I don't know what there is to add that hadn't been said, though.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:52 pm UTC

Quick phone-posted what-if thought: could the generalz and Madge thing be a scheme to distract any watchers, trackers and similar? Not necessarily collusion between both of them, but could be the goal for one of them if that person is in a scum group.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:53 pm UTC

If I claim, it will ruin my win condition, or you will just ignore it anyway. I have a passive ability, and it does not help town if I reveal it.

I still think mpolo's targets got switched. It's the only explanation I have.

All the note taking and receiving frankly bores me. Turns it more into a logic puzzle than a game of tells. I already gave you who I thought was possible scum.

Just in case, Even with the masses voting me, Scum are probably laughing their asses off right now. The way everyone just accepted mpolo's claim, well, Every town has to have a screwup, Right?

Not subtle enough? Ehh, you're going to lynch me anyways.

Unvote

Vote: GopherofPern

See you on the other side!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:07 pm UTC

I think heuristically_alone played quite differently from Impromptu Mafia where he was Jester so I'm very much disinclined to believe your claim. Also you're completely right, Jester would never claim here, so lol.
It is unfortunate that you don't enjoy the game, however in my experience a setup where everyone is expected to be a power-role will inevitably arrive at some point to a mass-claim and logical deductions.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:18 pm UTC

Why do you think I claimed? You were never going to believe me, so I could pretty much do as I want.

When I flip Jester, I will be laughing all the way to the bank.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:30 pm UTC

I don't believe Gopher, but if people are bothered, I don't mind them switching votes to generalz, and then hopefully a vig takes out Gopher tonight. My vote is staying however.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:28 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I don't believe Gopher, but if people are bothered, I don't mind them switching votes to generalz, and then hopefully a vig takes out Gopher tonight. My vote is staying however.

Right now, generalz is highly suspicious but only hypothetically scum. Gopher has a verdict against him, so I think it's better we're sure about him rather than leaving him to the possibility of a vig.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:59 am UTC

Votals:

generalz (1) : Znirk
Gopher of Pern (5) : mpolo, moody7277, generalz, jimbobmacdoodle, Gopher of Pern

Not Voting (4) : Carlington, dimochka, Madge, Sabrar

With 10 alive, it takes 6 to hammer.

Deadline: Friday, November 11, 11:59:59 PM EST (approximately 25 hours from the time of this post).

Reminder to all students: This game is pseudo-nightless. Please submit any actions in advance of night. If the day ends early, you will still be able to submit your night actions, but please try to do so as quickly as possible so that the administration can keep things moving.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:58 am UTC

I would assume that we have at least 3 anti-town scum players in the game. adnapemit was not anti -town even if her protection target was scum (asked from mods in private, can provide more detailed paraphrased response if necessary). generalz's claimed role is not anti-town. Jester is not anti-town. Therefore if Gopher of Pern turns out to be Jester (very small chance) then if generalz's claim is also true that would have meant that we started the game with at least 3 anti-town scum and 3 neutral indies, meaning Town did not have majority from the get-go. I refuse to believe this possibility happening.

Summary: if Gopher of Pern is Jester then we congratulate him and lynch generalz next regardless of night-results, as he's guaranteed scum.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:32 am UTC

Fair'nough, we lynch Gopher then. Not going to hammer though, I want to do one of those town<->scum ordered lists before lynching time.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:02 am UTC

Znirk wrote:Not going to hammer though, I want to do one of those town<->scum ordered lists before lynching time.

This pings me in a typical 'Look at me, I'm Town because I'm doing the things that townies should do' kind of way.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:52 am UTC

unvote to keep things nice and clean.

Generalz: I've been over why he is scum. The reveals between him and Sabrar concerning night activity around the deceased doctor would be hard to explain otherwise in the order that they happened, unless he and Sabrar are teamed up. That possibility seems unlikely because of their (particularly Sabrar's) behaviour before their claims on day 2.

Gopher, Mpolo, Moody: There is something mildly dodgy / hedge-y about Mpolo's and Moody's claims: they both left themselves an out for not delivering any more results (Cop can self-defend instead of copping, and mason has a limited pool of targets). But a scumteam exposing itself that way makes no sense when I am fairly confident we do have a cop (I don't think it's significant that according to flavour the cops only arrived when it was all over), and also, Mpolo claimed that cop:he didn't need his target to accept an anonymous note before watcher:Sabrar confirmed the same thing about another investigation role (he had already said he can't send notes, but only claimed watcher after Mpolo talked about no notes). Mpolo and Moody being anything other than the claimed mason townies would mean they were gambling on throwing their teammate Gopher under the bus (with the alternative of getting killed themselves but making Gopher look better), and Sabrar being in league with them as well. The early unprovoked scum cop claim was unlikely to begin with, but a scumteam of 4 definitely sounds like too much. No, Mpolo is the cop, and thus Moody is mason and town, and Gopher is Mafia. Incidentally, thanks and congratulations to Moody for your N1 target choice (and sorry for confusing masons with cult earlier in the game).

Sabrar: I find him very hard to read, but as mentioned in the discussion of Generalz and Gopher/Mpolo/Moody I am fairly confident he is an investigator and thus most likely town (and not indie as I first read him on day 1).

Madge: Her claimed role (choice between guaranteed survival and ability to win) in an oblique way isn't a million miles from mine, so I'm perhaps more open than some players to accepting her claim. Still, it's very odd that the sudden invulnerability only arrived during an unplanned second deadline extension, and her current game of Target Meeee! with Generalz is something I don't understand. Neutral with mild scum-vibes - Jester has been brought up and would kind of fit my impression of her behaviour, but then what was her message-passing power about?

Jimbob: Impressionistically, he mainly does setup speculation and probabilities. A decent amount of material, and quite agree-with-able, though some of it feels a bit obvious. Reads unchanged to me on the whole: neutral, but more town than not.

Carlington: Pity about the computer trouble, not much material there. He claims successful targeting (Dimochka), and neither of them seems to have suffered any ill effects from that. Insufficient data, but no immediate cause for suspicion.

Dimochka: Not much material either, has dropped the roleplaying (maybe both due to not enough time for the game?) Mainly one claim (surprisingly one-shot power involving a message) and a big reads post. Odd phrasing about generalz potentially being "mafia and lying for some reason" ... I would think a mafioso's reasons for lying are quite clear??? He might be unexpectedly busy (unannounced though), or might be trying to hide in plain sight. Remains on the neutral-scum border for me.

TOWN
Mpolo, Moody
Sabrar
Jimbob
Carlington
Madge
Dimochka
Gopher, Generalz
SCUM

Sabrar wrote:
Znirk wrote:Not going to hammer though, I want to do one of those town<->scum ordered lists before lynching time.

This pings me in a typical 'Look at me, I'm Town because I'm doing the things that townies should do' kind of way.

It was meant as more of a "don't hammer yet" nudge. I'm doing reads chiefly because I haven't yet done anything of the sort on Day 2, and since I like people to commit to opinions, I kind of owe it to other players to return the "favour".

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:49 am UTC

I like Znirk's read-list plus there is one specific part in it that makes me think he's Town even more. I also like his response to my ping, so I have him as almost sure Town.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:09 pm UTC

It's a bit disheartening to see the activity dropping so low but I guess we've talked about all the relevant points. As much as I would like to see D3 as soon as possible it doesn't really makes sense to hammer just for a few hours when I'm going to sleep anyway.
I've no idea why I'm rambling about this here...

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:33 pm UTC

Just lightly re-reading Madge's posts, as she was my top scum based purely on gut feeling and claims up to now, after generalz and Gopher of Pern. Some things stood out to me, and any responses from Madge would be appreciated:

1) Did you breadcrumb your win condition anywhere?
2) You said in this post that you had a standard town win condition, yet you have stated since then that your win condition required you first to have someone accept your note, then you became standard town win condition. Why did you lie the first time around? Relatedly, why did you not bother to claim your original win-con and/or your message passing ability (which as far as I can tell had no further affect than to make you vanilla town)?
3) Regarding your apparent gaining of bulletproofness, did you ever ask the mods if that was intended as an ability from game start and just got forgotten, or whether it was something you gained (potentially spontaneously, or potentially due to someone else's action)?
4) In your reads list early D2, you had moody and Znirk as scummiest. What are your opinions now?
5) You haven't mentioned dimochka or Carlington at all during the game. Do you have any thoughts on them?

Madge isn't the only one, but there really isn't all that much content from her this game. I know D1 she tends not to produce much by meta, but I'd have expected more from her by now. That being said, and as mentioned, others have been as bad at least this game day, so I won't hold it against her too much at this point.

---

Sabrar wrote:It's a bit disheartening to see the activity dropping so low but I guess we've talked about all the relevant points. As much as I would like to see D3 as soon as possible it doesn't really makes sense to hammer just for a few hours when I'm going to sleep anyway.
I've no idea why I'm rambling about this here...
Sorry, during the day I tend to find it easiest to respond to things rather than reading through and analysing, and with everyone else being quite quiet, I haven't had much to respond to.

Responding to Znirk's reads post - I don't see Madge as a Jester. I definitely could see her having something about her character that she hasn't revealed, but I wouldn't know what just yet. Regarding my pointing out the obvious - I do this because I think it is easy to occasionally overlook something important, so I point it out to bring it to people's attentions. Znirk's explanation for why he posted the way he did leading to Sabrar getting pings, is basically what I'd already assumed.

@Sabrar - you said that there's something in Znirk's post that makes you think he is town even more. Would you care to elaborate, or does it require you sharing information you don't want to reveal just yet?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:42 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@Sabrar - you said that there's something in Znirk's post that makes you think he is town even more. Would you care to elaborate, or does it require you sharing information you don't want to reveal just yet?

In a roundabout way it ties to my very first breadcrumb. When I feel it's necessary I will reveal more.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:16 am UTC

Votals:

Gopher of Pern (5) : mpolo, moody7277, generalz, jimbobmacdoodle, Gopher of Pern

Not Voting (5) : Carlington, dimochka, Madge, Sabrar, Znirk

Deadline: Friday, November 11, 11:59:59 PM EST (approximately 1 hour 45 minutes from the time of this post).

Reminder to all students: This game is pseudo-nightless. Please submit any actions in advance of night.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:14 am UTC

Right. Well, that's settled then.

Gopher of Pern is lynched

Anyone keen on still submitting night actions should do that ASAP.

Post coming soon.

Djehutynakht

Re: MMM II - Night 2: The Tug Rope

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:11 am UTC

Night 2
The Tug Rope

Noose1.jpg

Night 2 features special guest flavor by your wonderful co-Mod, Bessie.

Police Report
Interview (continued)
Witness: Ms Bessie, Principal, Munroe High School
Interviewing Officers: Powell, Callahan

CAL: This is Officer Callahan, continuing my interview with Ms. Bessie, Vice Principal of Munroe High School regarding the events that transpired the night of October 31, 1988. We’re going to continue to interview her about the second retaliatory killing (or as they refer to it “lynching”), carried out by the student body. Ms. Bessie’s testimony seems somewhat more trustworthy than Principal Djehutynakht, because, well, the guy’s a nut.

POW: You can’t say nut.

CAL: Not saying it doesn’t make him less of a nut.

[Officers return to the room where Bessie is seated, and continue their interview.]

POW: Now, Ms. Bessie, please continue with your account of the second retaliatory killing.

BES: It was just so awful, I don’t know if I can describe it. The secret, hushed conversations, the accusations, the voting.

CAL: Please Ms. Bessie, just be direct.

BES: They grabbed a noose that had been put up as a decoration, tied it around Gopher of Pern’s neck, and tried to hang him from a basketball hoop. But they pulled the rope too hard, his neck snapped, and his head hit the backboard and separated from his body.

POW: That’s direct.

CAL: Why didn’t you try to stop the students?

BES: Because I wasn’t sure that what they were doing was wrong.

POW: And why was that?

BES: Well... my dog didn’t like him.

CAL: Your dog didn’t like him?

BES: My dog is a retired therapy dog. She’s very old, but I do bring her to school when there has been a traumatic event, to help calm the students. Oh, she’s going to be very busy tomorrow.

POW: So I assume she likes almost everyone?

BES: She especially likes Mr. SDK. Follows him around like she’s a puppy and he’s the pack leader. Yes, she likes almost everyone, but she was afraid of Gopher of Pern.

CAL: You failed to prevent the killing of a student by the other students…because your dog was afraid of him? And you don’t see anything wrong with that?

BES: I believe there may have been an evil side to Gopher of Pern.

POW: There’s definitely something wrong with these people. Maybe it’s the water.

CAL: Maybe the other one can give us more information on what happened.

[Continued next page.]

Day 3 flavor to be posted shortly.

Djehutynakht

Re: MMM II - Day 3: The Massacre at Munroe High

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:16 am UTC

Day 3
The Massacre at Munroe High

HighSchoolcreepy.jpg

Police Report
Interview
Witness: Mr. SDK, Vice Principal, Munroe High School
Interviewing Officers: Powell, Callahan

POW: Our interviews with the Munroe High School staff up until this point have been...

CAL: Screwy.

POW: ...Problematic. Anyways, we have one last witness from among the MHS staff we're going to try interviewing. His name is SDK.

CAL: Guy has a few loose screws, too.

POW: SDK is known to this department to have had prior... issues.

CAL: That's one way of putting it...

POW: However, the school department has declared him a competent teacher, and we'll see if he has any information which may help us put together the pieces of the night of October 31, 1988.

[Officers enter the room where SDK is seated, and begin their interview.]

CAL: Please state your name and occupation for the record.

SDK: Hey, hey, should I have my lawyer for this?

CAL: Well we haven't charged you with a crime, we're just asking you a few questions.

SDK: Eh... I dunno. Why should I trust a couple a’ blue boys?

POW: Well, if you really want a lawyer, feel free. All it means is you're gonna be here a couple'a extra hours...

[POW and SDK stare at each other for a few moments. Finally, SDK looks away.]

SDK: Eh. Alright. Fine. Guess I don't got anything to lose.

POW: Great. Now, can you state your name and occupation for the record please?

SDK: SDK, I'm a teacher, over at Munroe.

POW: And you were at the school to witness the events of last night, October 31?

SDK: Of course I... I mean why would... Geezus, man. Yeah I was there? Why else would you be talking to me?

POW: We’re just asking for the record. Now, we were talking to your coworker, Ms. Bessie—

SDK: Ah, ol’ Bess. Yeah. What’s up? She didn’t say anything about me, did she?

POW: What? No… should she?

SDK: I plead the fifth.

POW: You haven’t been charged with a crime!

CAL: She was telling us about the death of Gopher of Pern, I believe. You have anything to add to that?

SDK: Oh, yeah. That one was awesome.

POW: Excuse me?

SDK: They yanked the rope and his head came like, clean off his body! It must have gone, like, ten feet! I didn’t even think that was possible!

POW: What the hell…

SDK: And then that arc of blood through the air. It was a piece of art, I tell ya.

SDK sits for a moment imagining the scene while both officers look at him horrified.

CAL: Well would you mind telling us what happened after that?

SDK: Oh, yeah. Well a lot of the kids started screamin’ when the head came off. Lot of ‘em ran out of the room. Bunch of pansies we’re raising nowadays, I tell ya. And then… well, yeah, this was kind of weird. All the lights started flickering. Flashin’, even. It was bizarre.

[POW and CAL look at each other]

CAL: You don’t think it was…

POW: Nah. Couldn’t be…

CAL: [clears throat] So, the lights started flashing. What’d you do?

SDK: Well, Bessie went off trying to fix the electrical problem. That’s her thing, always helpin’ out. Ol’ Djehuty went to go find the students or something. I dunno. Between you an’ me, and I’m not complaining or anything, ‘cause I got a long leash an’ all, but he’s kinda useless, honestly.

POW: And what did you do?

SDK: Me? Well I went over to see what I could do about the blood. Figured we shouldn’t have it all laying around everywhere for all the kids…

[SDK seems to drift off with a half smile on his face. POW and CAL look at each other. Finally, POW bangs fist on the desk, bringing SDK back into the real world.]

POW: And then?

SDK: Oh yeah. Well, when I went over to check on Pern, I noticed that something had fallen out of his pocket. It was…eh… how do I put this? There was a list of students. Plans. And some crazy notes about who to kill—weren’t signed, though. An’ a fuse, from our power box. I dunno, but I think that Mpolo kid was right. I think he was pretty fishy.

POW: So what you’re saying is, he was actually a member of this… Mafia?

SDK: Looks like it. But he can’t have been the only one. Cause it was after that when these kids started to really run into trouble.

CAL: What happened?

SDK: Well, while all this light flickerin’ was going on, that’s when the bloodbath happened.

CAL: Bloodbath?

SDK: Well I was in the gym trying to just relax a little bit and get a hold on the night’s events when Bessie comes and gets me. She’s all in a tizzy—you know how these people get—all freaked out and she wants me to come with her. Why, I asked? Well, apparently one of these kids went an’ got himself killed.

POW: Who was it?

SDK: Sabrar. He was laying on the floor outside out in the basement hallway. I don’t know what the hell he did, but he had these violent burn marks all over his hands and his hair was sticking up everywhere. Must have been shocked. I swear, they don’t teach these foreign kids how to take precautions, do they?

CAL: Our records indicate that Sabrar’s lived in this town his whole life.

SDK: Sure, sure, yeah, whatever. They still don’t teach their kids. I mean, I feel bad an’ all…

POW: Do you?

SDK: Anyways, Sabrar was always a lurky kind of kid. Not bad, but a definite weirdo, always trying to watch people. That looked like what he was probably up to. Little sneak.

CAL: And what’d you do once you found Sabrar’s body?

SDK: Didn’t have time to react. The second we found the body Djehutynakht comes down the hall. It seems that he came across a body too. Apparently that kid Generalz got himself sliced upstairs. Layin’ on the hallway floor. Big gash across his front. Whole white sheet completely stained. But get this. When Djehutynakht found him, he was still alive!

POW: Alive?

SDK: Well, not for long. He was a little weirdo too. Total freak. Always cracking these jokes. I guess when he saw Djehutynakht, he beckoned him over. Grabbed him by the collar. Started laughing hysterically. “I killed them! I killed them!” he shouted. And then, he dropped dead.

CAL: Holy hell… and he was one of these Mafia too?

SDK: Nah, don’t think so.

CAL: …care to elaborate?

SDK: He didn’t have any notes on him like Gopher did. And when we checked his locker it was full of all this weird stuff. These kids, writing everything down, making it so easy to figure out who they are. Nah, he seemed like he was on his own.

POW: So you had two bodies, Sabrar and Generalz. What next?

SDK: Well, Djehutynakht told Bessie to stay with barbeque boy while he and I went to go deal with the kid upstairs. I’m pretty good at cleaning out blood.

CAL: I know I should ask, but I just can’t anymore…

SDK: Anyways, yeah. Well, we’re walking down the hallway toward the staircase when suddenly we hear this noise. It sounds like it’s coming from the trash room. But our custodian, Suzaku, he was nowhere to be found. Think he took off shortly before all this stuff started going down. Smart guy. But anyways, if he’s gone, then there shouldn’t be any noise coming from the trash room.

CAL: So you went and checked it out?

SDK: Well, frankly, I was all in favor of getting the hell out. Why would I possibly want to walk into some murder death-trap set by some student that hates me? But Djehutynakht is insane, and so in we went.

POW: Oh wait, I think I know where this is going…

SDK: So we get in there and the trash compactor’s on. And then we look closer and we realize—

POW: Oh yeah, I remember the scene.

CAL: I puked.

[SDK grins wickedly.]

SDK: Wasn’t it just crazy the way his hand—

[CAL retches.

POW: So, we’ve identified the body—

SDK: Moody, yeah. I know. Process of elimination.

POW: In addition to him, we also found a crushed electronic in the compactor. It seems to be some kind of radio device. What do you know about this?

SDK: Well, Moody was a total nerd. Total nerd. He was the president of the AV club or something like that. Always fiddling around with electronics. It looks like what you saw was one of his comm things. He used to give those out to people so he could talk to them. They were the most annoying thing, I swear.

CAL: And you know about the thing he made?

SDK: Oh yeah, that weapon thing to protect himself? Yeah, I gotta admit, that one was pretty sick. I didn’t think he had it in him.

[See Evidence #7-13 for weapon referenced.]

POW: Is there any reason why there was so much death at this one particular moment?

SDK: Hell if I know. Maybe these Mafia people just decided that spacing out their kills was a stupid idea. I mean, why the hell would you go through this game? Just kill everyone.

POW: No. It doesn’t fit with their MO so far as we can see. What happened after that?

SDK: Well Djehuts decided that it was important we gather up the students, so that’s what we did. We got them all in the gym. But there was a bit of a problem.

POW: Being?

SDK: Well when we gathered them all together, we noticed one of them was missing.

POW: Mind telling me who that was?

SDK: Oh, that would be Jimbob. He was dead too.

CAL: Well that we knew. How did you find out?

SDK: Well we were all sitting in the gym. I was seeing what I could do to deal with Gopher’s body. And then suddenly Bessie’s dog comes into the gym. She’s barking like crazy. Old dog, but this time she was going crazy. She found something and she wanted us to follow her.

POW: Now wait a minute, how do you know that?

SDK: None of your business. I’m good with dogs. That’s all.

CAL: Alright, fine, so you followed this dog. Where’d she lead you? What’d you find?

SDK: Well Bessie and I went and followed her. She’s a little old and a little slow, but she got us up to the drama classroom. And there’s Jimbob. Dead. Sandbag hit him square in the head. That’s it. Are we done?

POW: Fine. What can you tell us about Jimbob.

SDK: Eh. Not much. Another nerd, I think. But he was a feisty one. We think he was trying to be something of a hero. Going off on his own, trying to deal with everything by himself. Obviously, he was not successful.

POW: Fine. One last thing. The coroner’s noticed something that looks like a bite mark on Gopher of Pern’s body during examination. Would you happen to be able to shed any light on this?

SDK: No comment.

[Report continued on next page.]

Gopher of Pern, the kid who's always home sick, was the Strongman, a member of the Mafia. As the Strongman, Gopher of Pern had a one-shot ability to perform the night kill for the Mafia without the possibility of being blocked by any powers.

Sabrar, the Token Minority kid who always dies first, was the Watcher/Tracker, a member of the Town. As the Watcher/Tracker, Sabrar had the ability to choose one person to watch or track every night. As the Token Minority kid, Sabrar needed to preserve his pride by surviving past Night 1. He succeeded.

Moody7277, an AV Club Nerd, was the Mason Recruiter and a Paranoid Gun Owner. As the Mason Recruiter, Moody was able, once per night, to send a note to one person. If they accepted and certain other conditions applied, that person would be recruited into Moody's mason chat. On nights when Moody was not attempting to recruit, he would bunker down as a Paranoid Gun Owner, and would automatically kill the first person to attempt to interact with him.

Generalz, the class joker, was also the Serial Killer. As the Serial Killer, Generalz could pick one person per night to kill. However, being a joker, he needed his kills to be funny and ironic. Thus Generalz could only kill people by sending a note to them first, and having them accept. Bringing their own death upon themselves was enough humor for him (this restriction would have eventually been lifted as number of players dwindled).

Jimbobmacdoodle, a nerd, was the Vigilante, a member of the town. As the Vigilante, Jimbob could, once throughout this whole game, choose one person at night to target for killing.

Moody7277 was the object of Adnapemit's protection as Guardian Angel. With his death, Adnapemit has lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Apologies for the delay in getting this day started.

Tentative deadline is Wednesday, November 23 at 11:59:59 PM EST.
This is a bit short. If it's too short, we will extend past American Thanksgiving (Thurs. 24th).

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:52 am UTC

Thanks for the flavour! It was worth the wait! Vice Principal Bessie's therapy dog <3

For the record, Generalz didn't send me a message (or anyone else for that matter) and I have not got any PMs telling me my role is changed (but wait until after the inevitable day end extension for that /s)

My role is still vanilla so I have literally nothing to report.

Since right before nightfall I was asked questions by someone who has flipped town (jimbob), I will respond to them.

1) Did you breadcrumb your win condition anywhere?
Actually I did! It was rather obtuse though (I just used the word "kiss" in an early post), so I'm not sure if it counts for anything:

Madge wrote:I chose my stereotype by choosing from a list of high school stereotypes I found on buzzfeed or something.

My role is nonstandard too. I kind of expected that, though. With DJ you can kiss all your preconceived notions of normal roles goodbye.

2) You said in this post that you had a standard town win condition, yet you have stated since then that your win condition required you first to have someone accept your note, then you became standard town win condition. Why did you lie the first time around?
My win condition is standard town - win when all threats to the town are eliminated. I didn't want to mention the extra layer because I didn't want the discussion to be about my role and win-con. I also know that sometimes "town" doesn't have a "standard town win condition" so I wanted to let any townies reading it know that I knew that town had the standard wincon (I know they almost always do, but when they don't it's a doozy)

Relatedly, why did you not bother to claim your original win-con and/or your message passing ability (which as far as I can tell had no further affect than to make you vanilla town)?
Because it was like my third post and I thought it was better to give scum the chance to kill me (before I knew I was immune) instead of a cop/etc because my weak role being killed is best for town.

3) Regarding your apparent gaining of bulletproofness, did you ever ask the mods if that was intended as an ability from game start and just got forgotten, or whether it was something you gained (potentially spontaneously, or potentially due to someone else's action)?
Nope will do now.

4) In your reads list early D2, you had moody and Znirk as scummiest. What are your opinions now?
Moody is looking awfully townie all of a sudden. I'll wait until we've seen more of D3 to do a new reads list that will include everyone.

5) You haven't mentioned dimochka or Carlington at all during the game. Do you have any thoughts on them?
They should be more active and/or more interesting so I'll notice them.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:10 am UTC

On that note, my computer has a bootloader again so I ought to be more active from here on out, and I apologise again for the lurky behaviour. I'm on my way home from Polish class so I don't have any of my game stuff with me, I need to get home and update it all.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:38 am UTC

FWIW DJ says I was death-proof from the start of the game but the mods chose to only tell me about it when I got told.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:28 am UTC

... wow. Active night, that night.

A few unordered quick thoughts:

- Full disclosure (well, except for any of the actual details): I tried to use my one-shot power tonight, and failed. A message was sent and accepted, but my target was dead by the time I got to the meeting. From what I know about the power, this means that it remains available for me to try again. Right now I don't have a good target though.

- Four night deaths presumably means that all the now-revealed kill abilities (PGO, SK, Vig) were used on top of the mafia kill, with no overlapping targets. In other words we're probably back to one night kill from here on out. Not that it matters much, with five living players and more likely two than one scum among them.

- Moody has flipped mason town as claimed, so Mpolo is even more certain than before to be cop town (even apart from his lynch-confirmed scum result on Gopher). Any new results? Or did you self-protect last night?

- Madge's role claim needs looking at in the light of Sabrar's flip. Sabrar was Town with an extra wrinkle to the winning condition, just like she claims about herself. On the other hand, Sabrar had an actual power role to play with while and after ensuring his sub-condition, and Madge has claimed nothing of the sort except that she suspects her role might be altered further (or, as per the updated claim, more previously unknown details might be revealed). I said last evening that I have a vaguely similar role, but on reflection, with Madge there's really nothing about her claim and crumb that wouldn't make just as much sense if she were Mafia/kisser instead of Town/kisser (though presumably with a provision that scum:Madge's kiss partner has to be a non-teammate).

A look at survivors:

Mpolo, known town. non-messaging power
Znirk, known town (fmpov obviously). One-shot message-passing power, remains available.
Madge: doubts; a bit of a conflict between gut feeling and analysis. Message-passing power, technically still available but no longer serves any purpose.
Dimochka: Looked dodgy the last 2 days, but with no clear-cut moments of suspicion. One-shot messaging power, used up or not?
Carlington: Needs to do more on day 3 so we can form an opinion. Messaging power.

If there is a 2-member mafia remaining (i.e. 3-member scumteam at game start, minus Gopher), then we absolutely have to lynch one of them today.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:19 pm UTC

We both self-protected last night. (Which presumably killed our serial killer, so be thankful for that.)

No time right now to delve into the flavor.
Image <-- Evil experiment

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:00 pm UTC

So, someone interacted with Moody and killed him, being killed himself in the process. The logical one for that would seem to be generalz, though it could have been jimbob, I suppose. But I don't think that jimbob would have been trying a vigilante against a (mostly) confirmed townie. I wonder if Moody had to accept a message from generalz to be killed and kill him. Sabrar and Jimbob both dying in addition is rather troubling — unless jimbob vigged Sabrar and was killed by mafia, I don't see how this would work out. Need to check back whether jimbob was suspecting Sabrar.

We have five players left. As there was both mafia and a serial killer and a vigilante, I'm guessing that there were only two in the mafia at the beginning of the game. I'd rather get them now than later, though.

I am town, but got no information last night by protecting myself.
Madge seems likely to have the kissing ability. More likely a town role, I think, but I don't want to stake everything on outguessing the mod on something like that.
Znirk says his messaging is one-shot and unused. Possible mafia.
Dimochka should have a one-shot messaging power and seems to be a cheerleader. Possible mafia.
Carlington has been typically quiet. Possible mafia.

Which means that I have very little idea what's going on.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:23 am UTC

Just popping in to say it's past midnight here, and I have a somewhat unpredictable day coming up (setting up the lighting for a stage show I'm involved with, which might take two hours or might take six hours). I may take a while to join in with the discussion again.

Meanwhile, my quick stab at "what the hell just happened":

- Jimbob expressed a hope that a vigilante might target Generalz. Since he was the vig himself, I'll not complicate matters and go with "Jimbob killed Generalz" (breadcrumbing in case he was observed visiting the victim).

- Generalz may well have targeted Moody for being the source of a town chat group, a second clique apart from mafia who could discuss among themselves and leave him out of the loop. Generalz and Moody then killed each other (Mpolo claims masons agreed to "self-defend", i.e. the PGO was active). Generalz targeting Moody is kind of supported by flavour (stuffing the film nerd in the Trash Compactor(TM) might count as funny/ironic enough for Generalz).

- That leaves Sabrar as the victim of the Mafia, who presumably aren't ghosts and wanted to get rid of the known investigator who hadn't claimed a self-defence ability.

Alternative scenarios: If PGO-targeted-by-kill-role kills the attacker and survives the attempt, then either that leaves a night kill unaccounted for, or Sabrar (the only non-killing person to turn up dead) was killed for trying to watch Moody.

That idea is a bit concerning, because I'm not sure watching counts as an "interaction" at all. But watching clearly needs to come earlier in the order of action resolution than any of the actions to be revealed by watching. So if the watcher is said to "interact" with his target, then in a monumentally unlucky development Sabrar actually cleared the way for Moody's killer by absorbing the PGO's counterattack. This variant would then go: Mafia kills Jimbob kills Generalz kills Moody kills Sabrar (or possibly reversed targets for Mafia and Generalz, which would have the SK and Vig neatly killing one another. I could buy Mafia tring to get rid of Moody, but I don't see an obvious justification for Generalz to target Jimbob except maybe the expectation that Jimbob would be more open to accepting a note.)

The variant with a mystery nightkiller goes roughly like the first hypothesis which assumes the PGO kill is simultaneous with other kills, except that instead of Generalz and Moody killing each other, Generalz absorbs the PGO but Moody gets hit by the mysterious stranger.

If such an extra killing role is indeed in the game, then numbers-wise I would agree that Mafia has got to be down to one member.

Yesterday we talked about a possible third mason. Is there one? Just saying it would be huge to have a second confirmed townie. Maybe I'm being thick again, but I don't see how admitting to masonry could hurt at this point in the game.

Should I claim more about my still-unused role? Do people e.g. want to know my failed target from last night, or should we keep scum guessing?

Incidentally, what do we think about Night 1? Did Generalz withhold his kill, or was his note rejected, or was there a targeting collision, or did anyone perform a lucky roleblock?

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:24 am UTC

Note:

Correcting an omission regarding Generalz' role reveal:

Generalz's ghost costume gave him the power of being unwatchable and untrackable.

That is all. Thank you.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:20 pm UTC

I did not use any ability last night, nor receive any note. If I was the target of a power, I don't know about it. I am not a Mason.

The only way I can see there being a third Mason is if we started with two Masons, as a third cannot have been recruited last night. FMPOV, myself and mpolo are confirmed town. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can claim that will prove I am town. However, I might have a plan, contingent on a couple of things. To start off: can you confirm that you are not the only living Mason, mpolo? It isn't necessary to claim who the other Mason is, if you'd prefer not to.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:48 pm UTC

I deliberately left it a little open as to whether there is another mason while I thought there might be some benefit to keeping scum guessing. But since I now have no extra information about the setup, I guess I have to admit that it is so… There were only ever two members.

I want to suggest that everyone claim their archetype at this point, as that may give me some information to share.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:37 pm UTC

Hi guys, I have a very important (but short) project at work yesterday/today, should be done with it in about 4-5 hours. To fill in the blanks - I sent a note to generalz and it was not accepted (which means i can still use my note-sending power again). i did not receive any notes.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:30 am UTC

Hopefully, with the weekend over, we're back to posting. As I mentioned above, I'd like to have an archetypes claim, as I believe this will be helpful to finding scum.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:40 am UTC

My archetype was the school stoner. This does tie in with my main ability, albeit in a way that wasn't necessarily obvious to me. The plan I mentioned hinges on there being one scum if there's only one confirmed town, so it may not be the wisest choice right now.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:47 am UTC

I already claimed that my stereotype was the desperate virgin, though now Sabrar kissed me I'm...... nothing?

Vanilla now my death-proof is no longer in effect.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:13 am UTC

My stereotype is the Follower: the guy who tries to get along with everyone by adapting to a group's established jargon and behaviour.

I know that sounds a bit indie-ish, so I should probably also claim that I can only win with town.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:06 pm UTC

And dimochka seems to be some kind of cheerleader/Valley girl. Which means I don't have anything more. The "Nerds Masons" would apparently have consisted of Moody, myself, matt and jimbob if we had found each other (Nerd in the name of the archetype). From what we had, it was guaranteed that any Nerd would be town. Which turns out to be true, but not very helpful at this point.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:17 am UTC

Votals:

None

Not Voting - 5 (Mpolo, Znirk, Dimochka, Madge, Carlington)

Deadline is currently at Wednesday, November 23 at 11:59:59, a little under 53 hours from now.

Perfectly happy to extend longer due to current levels of activity and the upcoming American Thanksgiving, if needed.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:45 am UTC

I feel like we should have more to go on at this point in the game. I'm inclined to vote for Znirk based on past twigging but that's probably not the best policy, I should have a re-read tonight when I have a chance.

Mpolo - provisionally town, confirmed mason right?
Madge - mystery, town fmpov
Znirk - ???
Dim - ????
Carlington - ???

As far as thanksgiving, me and Carlington are Australian so unlikely any conflicts there, and Mpolo's in europe so again no conflicts. Dim's location says US so he's probably affected, and Znirk's location is unstated which by the "assume everyone on the internet is from the USA until proven otherwise" means we have 40% of living players affected by Thanksgiving. I like to have a tight deadline as it promotes discussion as we all panic and go "Oh me yarm HAVE TO VOTE SOON", like if you told me right now that the extension after thanksgiving would happen I wouldn't bother doing a reread tonight, for example.

Return to “Mafia”