MMM II - Day 3: The Massacre at Munroe High

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

mpolo

Re: MMM II - Day 3: The Massacre at Munroe High

Postby mpolo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:18 am UTC

I am an American living in Europe and will be preparing a Thanksgiving meal for 35 people, so will be a little occupied Wednesday and Thursday… I hope to find time before then, though.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:30 am UTC

Sorry about the positional vagueness. I'm in Switzerland, GMT-1. Thanksgiving means nothing to me, but I'm currently busy with a play that opens on Saturday. I'll try to respond to developments around here, but can't really spare the energy for much more than gut reactions before the weekend, so an extension would be appreciated.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:37 am UTC

Thirty five people???? my god.

What do they say when you assume????

Guess we're likely getting the extension. So don't expect my post! :P
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:27 am UTC

Formally requesting an extension.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:55 pm UTC

1. Yes, please extend.
2. I am indeed a cheerleader.
3. I have a feeling we are actually at LYLO. As a result I'd like us to discuss whether we should full claim (I'm not 100% sold on it, and I can reveal my reasons if needed). The very simple reason for LYLO is that in most balanced games anti-town roles make up 1/3 of the players, so I would be surprised to see only two mafia and one SK. I know there are independents, but it's not the same.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:30 am UTC

Since it'll be quiet with everyone gone anyway
I'm down for the extension.

As a response to dimochka: I don't disagree with you that being at LYLO seems likely (I think almost certainly this is MYLO at least). I don't want to go ahead and start full claiming before everyone has a chance to check in, though. I also think it would be worthwhile for us to decide the claim order first and then stick to it.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:44 am UTC

Would everybody prefer a Friday deadline or a Tuesday deadline?

These are the two dates that work best for me, excluding the weekend, which is generally a bad time to have a deadline on.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:10 am UTC

I'm inclined to say Tuesday just so we don't have to account for people who have spent a whole bunch of energy on thanksgiving having to immedia

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:12 am UTC

Carlington wrote:I'm inclined to say Tuesday just so we don't have to account for people who have spent a whole bunch of energy on thanksgiving having to immedia

...erm. I did not hit submit. Anyway.

having to immediately throw energy they don't have back into this game. Seems like a recipe for inactivity.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:23 am UTC

Yeah, I'd prefer MOnday too.

I also was thinking it might be time for full claims, but I've already done mine so I didn't want to argue for it given I have nothing to lose.

I'd mostly be interested in dim's reason for not wanting a fullclaim, because that's going to be important to know.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:16 pm UTC

I've revealed most everything, so have no problem with a full claim. (Just did 6 pecan pies, 2 giant pumpkin pies and 2 normal pumpkin pies. And we're off!)

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:32 pm UTC

Full claim is OK with me, but curious about Dimochka's reasoning. I prefer the extension to go to Tuesday.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:05 am UTC

Extension granted.

The new deadline is Tuesday, December 29 at 11:59:59 EST

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:33 pm UTC

I sincerely hope that that is November 29.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:22 am UTC

YOU WANTED AN EXTENSION MPOLO, YOU GOT AN EXTENSION.

:lol:

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:02 am UTC

My apologies. I made a mistake.

The date is Thursday December 29.

But we can switch to Tuesday, November 29 if everybody is okay with that.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:42 pm UTC

I guess I could do November 29 :mrgreen:

The reason I'm not 100% sold on full claims is because, as my power needs to be accepted via note before it's activated, it allows scum (but town as well) to get a much better idea of whether they should / should not accept notes. Though to be fair, considering my note was rejected last night, I expect it to happen again, so I'm looking at myself as practically vanilla town. Don't want to say more before/until we decide to claim (and I'm happy to go first if we all agree as much).

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:53 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure everyone except you is down with claiming, dim.

I hear you on the note thing, but I think at possible LYLO you can assume that you won't have a chance to get powers accepted, bonus wins, etc.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:06 pm UTC

So, everybody left alive has some sort of messaging power except for me. There are at least one, if not two mafiosi between them.

Madge has claimed a need to be kissed. She was untargettable before that point and is now vanilla. This sounds completely reasonable as a town role, and I am inclined to believe she really is town.

Which puts us at 1–2 of dimochka, Znirk and Carlington being mafia. More later…

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:01 pm UTC

This was mentioned before and I let it go but I want to clarify: my power is in no way a messaging ability, and I'm not even sure where that idea came from.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:53 pm UTC

Morning. I'm back at work, and can reply here and there.

Quick note: My power is not a messaging ability either. Also, had generalz accepted my invite yesterday, there would have likely been one more person alive today (not him, obviously)

Mpolo - As the only person whom I believe to be pretty much guaranteed town, I'll claim in whatever order you recommend. Meanwhile I'll do a re-read and post my thoughts a bit later today.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:15 pm UTC

Votals: None

Deadline Tuesday, November 29 at 11:59:59 pm EST

A little under 36 hours from this post.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:46 pm UTC

I think with the time, we just want claims as quickly as possible. I am a cop. Former mason. I can forgo my power to activate a protection mechanism.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:03 pm UTC

OK then. Mine is a little complicated: I myself am technically vanilla town, but my costume has a power. If my anonymous note is accepted, I switch costumes with my target. Along with the costumes I and my target trade powers: I steal my target's power, and they receive the ridiculous cauliflower costume in exchange (which continues to have the power to steal someone's power). Alignments are not affected (I had that aspect confirmed by mods). I never crumbed this (not deliberately at any rate), but it ties into the opening flavour where everyone agrees that my costume is the worst: I want to get rid of it and pick up something better.

I called this similar to Madge's claim because in a way it's the reverse of her claimed power: She has a power (untouchability), but has a one-way method to become ordinary townie by way of a nightly meeting. I am an ordinary member of the Town, but can once pick up a power at night.

It may have been a bit misleading to call my power a one-shot: I myself can only use it once, but the power itself is reusable (by someone else). I couldn't think of a way to phrase this which wouldn't be an outright role claim though, so I went with "one-shot" as a close enough solution.

My targeting claims were accurate: I submitted no action on night 1. I considered trying to steal-preserve the Doctor power, but I assumed that flavour would show the changed costumes and give away the switch. If successful, I would simply have become the obvious scum target for night 2, and would not get a chance to do any useful doctoring.

For night 2 I targeted Generalz, in part based on a slim hope that my power would be resolved before his and thus prevent his kill, but mainly because success would have turned a (suspected but in my view likely) SK into a vigilante. But my target was dead, and his costume ruined, by the time I got to the meeting.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:28 pm UTC

Never-been-kissed but desperate. I can send an anonymous message, which, when accepted, means I get kissed and am able to win with town (without being kissed I can't win). Before I'm kissed I'm immune to "normal" night kills and lynches. I've been kissed, so I win with town now but am no longer death-proof. Effectively, I'm now completely vanilla town.

I only sent a message N1 because Sabrar kissed me, meaning I got my goal.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 am UTC

I'm a jailer-cum-roleblocker. I can use a note to invite someone to come and toke up with me (school stoner) which is the jailer power as they're too busy to use a power and too out of the way to be targeted, or else I can directly target someone to role block them. As I understand it, this latter power doesn't require the target to accept.

N1 I targeted dimochka - he mentioned that he couldn't see who he was with, which is because the smoke was too thick in the back stairwell. N2 I didn't target anyone, which was a poor call in hindsight as it seems like I could've targeted almost anyone with a roleblock and prevented a death.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:44 am UTC

EBWOP: dimochka, I'd like it if you elaborated on how targeting generalz could have prevented a death.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:57 am UTC

Carlington wrote:This was mentioned before and I let it go but I want to clarify: my power is in no way a messaging ability, and I'm not even sure where that idea came from.

I'm pretty sure that's meant to read messages as in anonymous notes, not Mafia/Mason chat.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:56 am UTC

Ok back. My role is a clingy cheerleader. Basically I attach to someone, and for the rest of the game they can only target me. I also get protection against my lover on the first night (there's a flavor explanation for that). This only works if they accept my initial note. From flavor perspective, once a note is accepted, I need to maintain my reputation and therefore will not (be able to) send any additional notes for the rest of the game.

N1 I targeted no one because I wasn't ready to commit to one target yet. N2 I tried to target generalz, but my note was not accepted. I can still use my note tonight, but you can see why I wasn't 100% sold on claiming.

Now doing my re-read, should hopefully be done in the next hour.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:45 am UTC

What do you get out of having the note accepted? Is it purely a redirect-type power?

I'm happy to accept your note tonight.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:20 pm UTC

Madge wrote:What do you get out of having the note accepted? Is it purely a redirect-type power?

Yes, it just redirects any action they take to me.
Carlington wrote:N1 I targeted dimochka

Why did you decide to target me? Why not target the claimed doctor? It was very likely that he would've been the night target...

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:27 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:For night 2 I targeted Generalz, in part based on a slim hope that my power would be resolved before his and thus prevent his kill, but mainly because success would have turned a (suspected but in my view likely) SK into a vigilante. But my target was dead, and his costume ruined, by the time I got to the meeting.

Assuming you're not lying about your role, this would be the right move as town (in my opinion). This would also be the right move as scum. So it tells me nothing.

Mpolo - I assume you used your protection last night? Don't answer if for whatever reason you feel like it's not helpful.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:00 pm UTC

Deadline in a little under 11 hours.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:24 am UTC

dimochka wrote:
Carlington wrote:N1 I targeted dimochka

Why did you decide to target me? Why not target the claimed doctor? It was very likely that he would've been the night target...

I figured that targeting the doctor as a jailer would be pointless because it would prevent him from using his power, so either I would keep jailing the doctor all game and he'd be effectively VT which would render two powers useless, or I jail him once and then scum can kill him anyway once I'm not jailing him anymore.

As for targeting you, in one of your early posts you made reference to someone helping you with math homework. I mistook this as being a breadcrumb that you had some sort of power which was activated by being targeted, and I got curious about it.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:49 am UTC

Carlington wrote:I figured that targeting the doctor as a jailer would be pointless because it would prevent him from using his power, so either I would keep jailing the doctor all game and he'd be effectively VT which would render two powers useless, or I jail him once and then scum can kill him anyway once I'm not jailing him anymore.

Preventing scum's night kill (or even two kills if mafia and sk's targets coincide, which is what may have happened on our night 1) is quite useful though. Also, as long as you don't actually claim jailer, scum will be confused about why their kill didn't go through. Also-also, even if it's clear that the doctor was jailed, the two extreme cases you describe are far from the only options. Rather, your tactics then become a you-versus-scum game of wine: Will scum try to hit the doctor again, or will they assume you're jailing him and target elsewhere?

As for targeting Dimochka, I "get" playing for curiosity and trying things out, and I do it myself in e.g. board games; but in a team-based game like this it isn't exactly the most altruistic of behaviours. Or, to rephrase, allowing the entirely expected doc-kill to go through doesn't look like a particularly pro-town move.

So briefly I'm not liking Carlington right now. Off for a quick reread though, a more considered opinion to follow later.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:56 am UTC

That's true. Jailing a doctor who is targeted for the scum kill is effectively the same as a secret doctor successfully protecting. You're still preventing a kill either way.

Before dim explained that his power is simply a power with no win condition attached to it I thought it was weird I didn't get targeted last night, because I said I'd accept any notes I got. But it makes sense that not every person wins by having a note accepted, so you know.

Still not much closer to knowing who to vote for. Znirk's last post was very good, so I'm leaning towards Carlington at the moment, but only slightly.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:11 am UTC

Znirk, all the things you said there are fair, and I agree that I made poor choices with my power. However, considering that we're most likely at MYLO, I really don't want that to cost town the game.

I'm about to start work and will only have a brief moment to be online before deadline, during which I intend to vote. People's claims haven't been as helpful as I would have hoped, since none of them are things I have seen before so I can't judge whether they seem like made-up roles.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:43 am UTC

... gah. Sorry, no elaborate results post from me -- i've had a performance tonight and a drink afterwards, and it is now half past 2 am. To be brief, I'm going to go with last impressions here: I would prefer a Carlington lynch, and have no strong preference between Madge and Dimochka. I used to read Dim as scummier than Madge, but now find relatively little to distinguish them.

I don't want to put this into a vote though, because there may still be 2 mafiosi who could hammer if I'm wrong. Unfortunately this probably means I will not vote on the lynch at all today, since it's unlikely I'll be conscious again before deadline. It's unsatisfying that a post of this sort may be my last contribution to a game that may be about to end, and I'm sorry; but I need sleep pretty much now. Time zones, eh?

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:39 am UTC

I'm stuck between Znirk and dimochka - dimochka's power seems least believeable but I don't like Znirk's abstention one bit. Znirk could have an aspect of OMGUS so I'm going to

Vote: dimochka

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:09 am UTC

So, we've got another hour based on the "current local time in New York" page I found to help me work out whether the deadline passed.

I'm in a precarious position as my boss is.... quirky and we've just gotten out of a 3 hour session of three people around my desk editing a word document. I'm not 100% guaranteed that at any moment he won't come back (even though I will physically be in the act of eating my lunch) and another 3 hour word document marathon editing session.

But I digress. I'm going to tie the vote. My gut says Znirk so that's who I want to vote. I will hopefully be online at deadline to change my vote and avoid a tie, but I can't guarantee it.

vote: Znirk

I wanted to do a re-read, analysis, etc but it was not a quiet morning at work. Oh well.

Return to “Mafia”