MMM II - Day 3: The Massacre at Munroe High

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Znirk

Re: MMM II - Day 1: The Murder and the Lynch-Mob

Postby Znirk » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:34 pm UTC

So, um, I'm here but don't really have anything to contribute. It's a bland vegetable thing. (I did pop in a few times in between real life, just trying to read along with goings-on).

Possible topic for discussion: The "DJ factor" issue. Do you guys think there's value in a general claim on whether or not everyone's role is "standard", as Madge has already done? Like, is your role on the list of "Townie, Mafioso, Cop, Doc" (or expand list as group-think deems fit), or something more unusual?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:51 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:Do you guys think there's value in a general claim on whether or not everyone's role is "standard", as Madge has already done? Like, is your role on the list of "Townie, Mafioso, Cop, Doc" (or expand list as group-think deems fit), or something more unusual?

I don't think that's a good idea, specifically because we might have a large number of nonstandard roles, possibly making a normal Cop or Doc easier to identify for scum.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:00 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
Znirk wrote:Do you guys think there's value in a general claim on whether or not everyone's role is "standard", as Madge has already done? Like, is your role on the list of "Townie, Mafioso, Cop, Doc" (or expand list as group-think deems fit), or something more unusual?

I don't think that's a good idea, specifically because we might have a large number of nonstandard roles, possibly making a normal Cop or Doc easier to identify for scum.

Hmmm, you have a point there. If we do have mostly non-standards, then it's likely that everyone has some sort of special effect, making vanilla town or mafia foot-soldier unlikely. Saying yes to that specific question then screams town power role.
I did notice that Madge didn't define "non-standard". How about "a role I've not seen before in that exact form in any game I have played or witnessed"?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:24 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:How about "a role I've not seen before in that exact form in any game I have played or witnessed"?

Doesn't that run basically into the same problem? In case we have e.g. a standard Cop or Doc they might be forced to reveal themselves. Or it might be the case that everybody has some weird stipulation or side-effect, in which case all players will answer the same and we don't learn anything.
Why did you propose this in the first place? What was your goal with these claims?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:16 pm UTC

Znirk's hole that he's digging is starting to look like "Blood on the Sidewalk". If I'd played more games with him, I might start to suspect some ulterior motive. Not enough meta on him yet, though.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:19 pm UTC

Yeah, I think there's little that can be got from claiming standard vs non-standard. I remember last year I had a "doctor" who not only protected from kills but protected from any of scum's negative effects - in that game would I have claimed standard or non-standard?

That said I don't think anyone claiming a standard role is a beacon for scum to kill this person because they could be a cop or doc. They're just as likely a roleblocker, or something equally un-juicy.

I think it's not going to tell us anything, it might make it harder for scum to claim later, but I suspect they'd mostly claim non-standard roles as it leaves them very, very open to being creative with claims.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:49 am UTC

And it wouldn't necessarily help us find scum either. I'd imagine a good mix of standard and non standard roles among town and scum. In a game like this, I rather expect most roles to be non-standard.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:01 am UTC

Madge wrote:Yeah, I think there's little that can be got from claiming standard vs non-standard.

So why did you feel like claiming a non-standard role?

Edit:
Madge wrote:I think it's not going to tell us anything, it might make it harder for scum to claim later, but I suspect they'd mostly claim non-standard roles as it leaves them very, very open to being creative with claims.

And why are you giving scum good ideas?

VOTE:Madge
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:47 am UTC

Votals:

dimochka (1) : Sabrar
generalz (1) : jimbobmacdoodle
jimbobmacdoodle (1) : generalz
Madge (1) : heuristically_alone
Sabrar (1) : dimochka
Znirk (1) : moody7277

Not Voting (6) : adnapemit, Carlington, Madge, matt96, mpolo, Znirk

Deadline: Friday, October 28, 11:59:59 PM EST

Tied votals at deadline will result in no lynch.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:59 am UTC

dimochka wrote:
Znirk wrote:Well, gang, what do we think of that post of Dimochka's? Just getting into the flavour, or perhaps hiding nudges and hints to be referred to in a later claim? Because if it's the latter, I find that message suspiciously ... full: The idea could be to throw a lot of different things against the wall, see what sticks, some time later pick whatever's convenient to remind people of, and ignore other parts of the message.

It might just be flavour, but I'll keep this in mind when watching Dimochka's future actions.

Aww Cauli, I like it when people watch me :wink:
All I'm saying is that, to my limited knowledge (there's only so much that I can remember!), we should not be stereotyping. According to our beloved principal it should not make a difference. Unless I get preferential treatment? That's possible too!

(See bolded)

Is this just flavour talking, or do you believe that our submitted stereotypes will not correlate with our roles?
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:13 am UTC

@MODS Can you prod Matt96? We are almsost 72 hours into D1 and still no posts.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:26 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:And why are you giving scum good ideas?

VOTE:Madge

While giving scum advice is bad for us, I think it is a poor reason to vote based upon just that because this being a night-less setup scum has most certainly day-chat, meaning that if Madge's intention had been to give advice to her scum-buddies she could have done so privately. Unless she is Traitor of course but that's a bit too specific scenario to consider at this point. Also I'm not sure if the game would be balanced with a Traitor.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:30 am UTC

Could be some other third party role that has some advantage tied to mafia in which they need mafia to play smart. (Just speculation)

And I don't find a problem with voting to increase pressure to get them to answer for their actions.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:52 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:
Madge wrote:Yeah, I think there's little that can be got from claiming standard vs non-standard.

So why did you feel like claiming a non-standard role?

Edit:
Madge wrote:I think it's not going to tell us anything, it might make it harder for scum to claim later, but I suspect they'd mostly claim non-standard roles as it leaves them very, very open to being creative with claims.

And why are you giving scum good ideas?

Felt like claiming my role as non-standard to demonstrate that non-standard roles exist in this game, mostly, and also so in the event everyone else has a standard ish role if it comes time for me to full claim people won't think it's an arse pull.

I get giving advice to scum is a bad thing, but I also think that that's only true if the advice is not super obvious. Eg if I were to say scum should play as townie as they can, or kill the cop if they claim, etc, those are considered advice to scum but it's Mafia 101 really. I don't think my advice was particularly insightful.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:25 am UTC

Very much on Madge's side on that one. I've regularly said things that could constitute advice to scum, mostly because if it is public knowledge, it may be good for town to be aware of. I'm going to assume heuristically_alone's vote is not really serious, unless he says otherwise. If however he tries to pull off what he did in Impromptu again with leaving it on there with no more justification, I'll be suspicious of him.

Sabrar's questioning had the air of role-fishing to me initially. However, his opposition to Znirk's suggestion makes me feel much more comfortable with him for now. It would have been easy for role-fishing scum to go along with that idea and justify it easily enough, without seeming too obvious. One question quickly - I'm on my phone so can't easily check - did you ever answer your own question Sabrar?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:31 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:One question quickly - I'm on my phone so can't easily check - did you ever answer your own question Sabrar?

Third point here.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:32 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
Znirk wrote:How about "a role I've not seen before in that exact form in any game I have played or witnessed"?

Doesn't that run basically into the same problem? In case we have e.g. a standard Cop or Doc they might be forced to reveal themselves. Or it might be the case that everybody has some weird stipulation or side-effect, in which case all players will answer the same and we don't learn anything.
Why did you propose this in the first place? What was your goal with these claims?

See, I don't think we "don't learn anything" with an all-weird result. That outcome, which I think is not unlikely, would warn us not to expect the usual roles when speculating about setup. This might prevent a mental cul-de-sac or two when we try to figure out e.g. why a specific number of people did or didn't die during any given night.

(It's probably no major spoiler at this point that my own role is "unusual". It's close to a vanilla one, but with a bit of a twist.)

I also disagree that the revised question has the same problem. The one game I've played in before, Smalltown, had Aliens faction (a vote- or power-forcing group survivor faction who needed to reach Day 6), and the Perfectly Ordinary Fellow who was secretly The Flying Pumpkin That Shoots Laser Beams Out Of Its Ass. Admitting to having seen one's role before either in play or in lurking is not a whole lot of information, and does not allow scum to conclude Town Power Role.

But again, I was putting this up for discussion, not as a challenge to Do It Now. Your response is appreciated, and I need to Go Think More Betterer about the issue.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:39 am UTC

A prod to Matt96 shall be sent.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:12 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Sabrar's questioning had the air of role-fishing to me initially.

Initially, I thought maybe not role fishing and just trying to make discussion. First question:
Sabrar wrote:Random Q&A just to start somewhere: I assume most of you had some specific role in mind when you submitted your archetype. Without revealing what it was, did you get the result that was your intention or are you surprised by the role you received?

Didn't have any issue with it. On second look, I noticed he started it with "Random" as if to lessen how suspicious the question looks.
The next question felt more like role fishing, especially since he moved on from archetype to actually breadcrumbing your role:
Sabrar wrote:Let us try this from another approach: if you haven't done already so, please try to breadcrumb your submitted archetype and/or your received role in a way that will help you prove your claim later on, should it come to that.
The main purpose of this exercise would be to limit the space of available false-claims for scum.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:However, his opposition to Znirk's suggestion makes me feel much more comfortable with him for now.

Saying we shouldn't waste time claiming standard or non-standard doesn't change my opinion.

I'm not sure what to think about Znirk because of his suggestion of claiming standard or non standard. The biggest flaw being determining what is standard. Is two standard roles put together still standard, will everyone claim not standard because their role doesn't fit perfectly into one definition of a role.
There are a lot of roles, I have seen a lot of roles. If anyone claimed they have never seen their role before, I'd probably suggest lynching them...not that I think anyone would claim this as it would put a target on themselves for either lynching or being night killed.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:33 am UTC

adnapemit wrote:
Sabrar wrote:Random Q&A just to start somewhere: I assume most of you had some specific role in mind when you submitted your archetype. Without revealing what it was, did you get the result that was your intention or are you surprised by the role you received?

Didn't have any issue with it. On second look, I noticed he started it with "Random" as if to lessen how suspicious the question looks.

Could you please specify what you find suspicious in the above question? What kind of information do you think that scum!me could have been looking for here? Also I would have thought 'Random' is an accepted term here and on other forums when describing activity at the beginning of D1, few RQS examples based on search.
This really feels like nitpicking.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:52 am UTC

It is slightly nitpicking. I was focusing on use of language rather than that question actually being suspicious. If someone walked up to you and said "I have a random question" it's not random from their perspective. Throwing "Random" at the beginning of a sentence when it works perfectly fine without it makes it look like it is trying to hide it's actual intent. But I have many issues with the word random.
That question on it's own was fine. It was a discussion starter. But when you failed to get the response you wanted and you expanded on that question specifying roles that's what looks suspicious.
[adnapemit|timepanda]

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:09 am UTC

Obviously the question was not random from my side as it was clearly based on my own experience. But also obviously it was not meant to be taken as such. A truly random question would have been something like 'What kind of pets do you have?' Therefore I don't really understand why you would put such an emphasis on it.
Regarding the follow-up: it is very difficult to find the balance between role-fishing and useless, 'active lurky' questions, that is to find a question that at the same time provides some information but does not reveal too much. I believe that it is possible in most cases to come up with a breadcrumb that will only be clear after it is explained because it contains some kind of hidden reference (like my first post in this thread). Therefore asking to breadcrumb in my mind is far from role-fishing, but it could lead to useful info later on.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:47 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:Znirk's hole that he's digging is starting to look like "Blood on the Sidewalk". If I'd played more games with him, I might start to suspect some ulterior motive. Not enough meta on him yet, though.

I missed this post yesterday; dropping in quickly now to say that I don't get the reference. Google says that "blood on the sidewalk" is the title of a couple of songs and a book, but I'm not familiar with any of them.

There is, of course, an ulterior motive; it is called "find something to do on day 1". Admittedly I had hoped for possibly telling opinions on the proposal from more players, but it seems I erred on the side of "bad idea" in my choice of discussion topic.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:03 pm UTC

adnapemit wrote:There are a lot of roles, I have seen a lot of roles. If anyone claimed they have never seen their role before, I'd probably suggest lynching them...not that I think anyone would claim this as it would put a target on themselves for either lynching or being night killed.

I honestly don't understand where that reaction comes from. Are you saying the mods are more likely to make up stuff for scum than town? Or is this about weeding out anyone less experienced than you so you can have a more interesting endgame?

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:38 pm UTC

Znirk wrote: Or is this about weeding out anyone less experienced than you so you can have a more interesting endgame?

Definitely not.

If I was in it for an interesting endgame I'd keep them. If they believe they can simply claim and not become a target for town and scum then they are either dangerously powerful or bluffing. If they are bluffing then they are probably anti-town, if they are powerful then they might pose a threat to town either way I would suggest lynching.
I guess it may also depend on what they claim. If they said that no one could die while they were alive, then I would definitely hesitate before lynching.
[adnapemit|timepanda]

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:06 pm UTC

@adnapemit: my role from Wheel of Time was the following: vanilla until D3, becomes Vigilante with NK every night from N3 forward, has additional single-shot day-kill usable from D3 onward at which point my role-name would be revealed. This was a Town role.
If you were given this role in this game (without having seen WoT), would you have categorized it as a role you've never seen before?
I'm quite sure that this specific combination is unique in basically the entire history of Mafia, however every single element of it is widely known.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:58 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:
moody7277 wrote:Znirk's hole that he's digging is starting to look like "Blood on the Sidewalk". If I'd played more games with him, I might start to suspect some ulterior motive. Not enough meta on him yet, though.

I missed this post yesterday; dropping in quickly now to say that I don't get the reference. Google says that "blood on the sidewalk" is the title of a couple of songs and a book, but I'm not familiar with any of them.

You'll have to wait until the unmasking hour to find out what I meant.

some opinions:

Madge-- talking about how some people are certain to have interesting roles, including herself, in a DJ modded game is in the same category with the blueness of the sky.

jimbob-- agree with his statement that saying obvious stuff that may or may not help scum is not scummy.

Sabrar-- walking the line on role-fishing that seems scummy. the suggestion on breadcrumbs is not as obvious as Madge's comment and may lead to interesting information later.

adnapemit-- interesting syllogism in her last post. I agree with most of her points, not sure of the probability that all bluffs are carried out by anti-town.

Leaning town on these four.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:37 pm UTC

Sorry for going so long without posting. I think we have to be careful about how much we claim early on, just because we don't have any leverage to catch scum from those claims, as Madge and jimbob have mentioned. If we later have concrete information, that might change. NOthing thus far has stuck out as extremely suspicious. I will try to reread this evening, though.
Image <-- Evil experiment

matt96

Postby matt96 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:26 pm UTC

Working on a post now, should be done in about an hour

matt96

Postby matt96 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:27 pm UTC

Ok, I thought it was a bit strange initially that only some costumes were linked to names in the flavor, but as it turns out, I simply missed the Costume list in the first post. There likely will be things I can do to, but only if allowed to. Don't want to say too much more without anything to back it up, but I will say that if I need to claim my stereotype, I would be able to link it to coffee and the current season. Regarding claims about standard roles, non-standard roles, I'd put claims of a close to standard role like Znirk has claimed to have as more standard than unusual, unless the twist majorly changes how the role works. On the topic of bread crumbing, I am of the opinion that simply outright claiming something that is obscure but can be justified within the context of your future claim could make it clear that future claims are the same as was prepared for day 1, as it would be easier to prepare for multiple false claims by hiding things in text than it would be to prepare justifications for multiple roles from the same statement.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:25 pm UTC

So, I didn't get back to this in time. Most of the content that we have had thus far is seeking claims. On the one hand, being overly concerned about getting everyone to make explicit claims is probably somewhat scummy. Being extremely unwilling to share is hard to read -- nobody wants to paint a target on themselves, though that's especially true for scum. My role has a creative element to it, but is mostly just a mix of a couple of standard roles.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:42 pm UTC

To be honest I expected a little bit more from matt on his first contribution. I'd also like to hear more from Carlington and generalz (and mpolo whose contribution somehow seems to be barren).

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:35 pm UTC

I'm *hic* sorry everyone... the spiked punch was a teenie bit much for me. Once I'm able to stand on my feet again I will rejoin your *hic* discussion. Later this evening I should be in tip top shape. And sorry for distracting you all from whatever conversations you were having, I tend to do that... because what fun are those conversations if they aren't about me?
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:39 pm UTC

Let's do some reads then, following a quick re-read.

Notes:
Spoiler:
admapemit: SK does not fit, but vig would with flavour. Safer to assume people downplaying. Guessed at potential role, but did not match. Not surprising role. Felt like Sabrar might have been rolefishing. Not sure what to make of Znirk's question. Discussion of "random".

Carlington: Dislikes people dismissing SK via flavour. Thinks Sabrar active lurky. Looks at early discussion of SK (not keen of Sabrar, adnapemit, likes mine and mpolo's comments. No strong feelings on others. Thinks active posters are more interesting to look at currently.

dimochka: Joke votes Sabrar. Thinks stereotypes aren't really relevant, based on conversation with DJ.

generalz: Nothing in mind from archetype choice. Fits well with role received. Joke votes me.

heuristically_alone: No role in mind for costume. Picked one for all factions. Claims town. Joke votes Znirk. Questions Sabrar on his question. Thinks SK may post to diminish role, but doubts it. Thinks most roles non-standard. Votes Madge for offering scum advice. Unclear whether this is a joke vote, but later says that it's to persuade her to answer his question. Questions dimochka re. stereotypes/roles.

Madge: Setup spec. Points out not to have any specific expectations. Thinks flavour diminshes chance of SK, but would expect one due to game size. Explains "DJ" factor. Role is non-standard (but town). Discusses benefit (or lack thereof) of claiming standard/non-standard. Responds to heuristically_alone's concerns.

matt: some discussion of breadcrumbing and his role.

moody: Joke votes Znirk. Comments on Madge's setup spec. Not seen dimochka's style of posting before. Doesn't like Znirk's posting, but doesn't bear down on it because of lack of meta-read. Town read on me, Sabrar, Madge, and adnapemit, with reasoning.

mpolo: Setup thoughts, including pointing out that mafia may not be traditional mafia. No role in mind from submission, sounds slightly surprised by his role. Obvious obfuscating post, presumably to breadcrumb something. Cautious about claiming too much early. Nothing suspicious so far. Muses about scumminess of not wanting to claim.

Sabrar: Thinks 3 scum. Unlikely SK, but not 100% certain. Belatedly joke votes mpolo. Asks whether people got role that matched expectations. Answers own question (yes), when asked. Doesn't think role-playing is trying to hide secret messages. Switches joke vote to dimochka. Responds slightly angrily to Carlington. Doesn't like focus on him for rejecting SK. Asks for breadcrumbs as to roles + stereotypes to help verify claims. Thinks claiming standard vs non-standard bad idea. Asks for Znirk's plan for claims. Thinks heuristically_alone vote is poor. Accuses adnapemit of nitpicking. Doesn't think calling for breadcrumbs is role-fishing. Calls for more content from lurkers + mpolo.

Znirk: Unsurprised by received role. Suggests many different ways to be killed fits with flavour. Slightly suspicious of dimochka's role-playing, because it could be trying to get something to stick out of many possibilities. Suggests claiming standard vs non-standard. Backs off slightly following opposition. Points out that it was a suggestion for discussion, rather than a call to do it now. Was hoping for reactions to the discussion rather than the actual claims.
Not enough content from dimochka, generalz and matt so far to be able to draw a conclusion. Not too concerned, because it is D1, and the latter two I've seen as being quite quiet in previous games. Would still like some thoughts on other players (not just setup discussion).

adnapemit: as highlighted by Sabrar already, she is nitpicking a little. She takes an opposite opinion to me on Sabrar's rolefishing which is probably a good sign, as it shows she's not just trying to go with the crowd. Neutral.

Carlington: posted only once, but made sure to put some decent thoughts in there, including his personal views on a number of players already. Mildly town.

heuristically_alone: I feel like heuristically_alone whose meta is something I need to get used to more. He has been interacting with other players, which seems good on the surface of it, but apart from his vote on Madge, he hasn't really posted any of his own thoughts. Neutral. Would be slightly scummy, but I think that's just because of the meta.

Madge: Responded to heuristically_alone's concerns in a fair manner, in my opinion. Feels like she has tried to be helpful somewhat, but not much yet in terms of her views on players again. Very slightly scummy because of this.

moody: Seems chattier than I'm used to seeing from him D1, which for some reason makes me more suspicious of him than normal! What he has said seems reasonable to me. Holding off due to a lack of a good meta-read at this point in the game is wise (see my thoughts on heuristically_alone above), and he has explained his town reads. Leaning town.

@moody - One of your explanations for town read didn't make sense to me - you have Madge as townie, yet the only thought you express on her is that she is stating the obvious. Would you care to explain your town read on her at the moment. Also, do you have any scummy reads yet?

mpolo: I agree with Sabrar here that mpolo's posting has been rather devoid of much content. Beginning to feel a bit like active lurking to me. Slightly scummy.

Sabrar: my general feeling from Sabrar so far is that he is being Sabrar! High post-count, with reasonable amounts of content so far. His reactions have been a little bit thorny at times, which I have seen from scum!Sabrar I think more often than town!Sabrar, but it's hardly enough to call someone scummy, because it could easily come from frustrated-town!Sabrar. Generally, I'm feeling ok with him though. I think some of his behaviour would be unlikely from scum (e.g. his opposition to Znirk's suggestion). Leaning town.

Znirk: has been trying to contribute, if not exactly in the most helpful of ways. His post-justification for his suggested discussion topic could be true, but could just as easily an attempt to disguise some role-fishing. I think the former is more likely, but don't rule out the latter. Whilst he has interacted with others a bit, he's posted very few (if any) thoughts on what others actually have said yet. Very slightly scummy.

Unvote

Joke voting time has probably passed now. I don't have any strong enough feelings on who to vote for, but I'll try to make sure I get a vote down before the end of the day. Current candidate would have to be mpolo. If our lurkers don't start posting useful content, I'd have to seriously consider voting for them as well.

heuristically_alone wrote:I've never been a fan of using the flavor to determine anything important, like factions, etc. For me, flavor is there for flavors sake.
I know I mentioned this to some extent already, but I'm not sure I addressed heuristically_alone specifically. If you look back at, e.g. Draculafia the N1 multi-kill of SDK and DJ's comments on it in Gojoe and after the game's conclusion, he specifically says that he drops hints in flavour. So at least for DJ, flavour is not there for flavour's sake. He's not alone in it either (I dropped a few small hints in one or two places in the Wheel of Time flavour).
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:57 am UTC

- I think jimbob has not played scum on this forum since last year's Smalltown, his posting style/word choice/content seems pretty consistent to what I remember of him recently so I'm leaning Town on him.
- I get serious townie-vibes from Madge, but she completely fooled me in Pen Pal so I'm not trusting her.
- in case moody turns out to be Mafia I think either adnapemit or Madge would be his scum-buddy (potentially both but unlikely). And I fully realize that same logic could be applied to me as well.
- I also included a hint in Dollhouse flavor text that could have made people realize that dimochka was not who he claimed to be but it was purposefully hidden and not meant to be discovered. It made me chuckle, though.
- if I had to vote right now it would be for a lurker as noone seems scummy enough.

Unvote

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:41 am UTC

There are a few minutes left before class, so, a couple of thoughts that have occurred to me.

We have 12 players. There is explicitly a mafia in the flavor. Rereading my role-PM, I now believe that it is likely that there is a second anti-town faction or element. So I will guess at 7-8 town - 2-3 Mafia - 0-1 Independent - 0-1 SK or other anti-town.

At least in my case, both stereotype and costume were worked into the power, but do not seem to have affected the alignment. (Understandable, as almost all people have "evil" costumes.) Either the alignments are fully randomized, or at least semi-randomized (perhaps someone had a stereotype that cried out for a certain alignment - psychopathic bully or such).

And that was the bell. This afternoon I should have a block of time, though.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:28 am UTC

Could we have a mod-prod on Carlington and generalz please?

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:44 am UTC

Don't prod me, I just ate dinner and I'm liable to burst if you do! Let me read and I'll give you a post asap
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:18 am UTC

Okay, I've had a look through and put together some notes on things I found interesting:

Sabrar, you're right that it's a little unfair to accuse people of active lurking so early on D1. That being said, picking someone to be a little bit unfair to is a good way to get reactions and information. I apologise for taking the accusatory tone I did. You were a bit defensive, but not overly so, and other stuff you've said has me feeling okay about you.

Most players seem to have not had any sort of intent behind their choice of archetype, except for maybe adnapemit and Sabrar. I don't really know what to make of that information though.

Znirk initially didn't even register on my radar, but pushing an anti-town idea is a good way to get attention from me. He did back down from it later on, but I don't know if I buy the "just for discussion" explanation completely.

I can't really see the case on mpolo. He's been pretty quiet I guess, but not the quietest. I'll come back to him later, though.

Matt's first post could have had more in it, but there was some decent thought so I'll give him a little time.

That's all for now, I will have more later. I'll leave this here:

@dimochka: I don't mean to boast, but math was my best high school subject.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:50 am UTC

Carlington wrote:I can't really see the case on mpolo. He's been pretty quiet I guess, but not the quietest. I'll come back to him later, though.
My main concern with mpolo isn't that he's had few posts, it's that he's actually had a reasonable number of posts with very little content. He's not the only one, but I think is the worst offender.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Return to “Mafia”