Diablo Mafia - Day 6 (The End)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

dimochka

Diablo Mafia - Day 6 (The End)

Postby dimochka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:21 am UTC

Since the Beginning, the forces of Light and Darkness have engaged in an eternal war: The Great Conflict, whose victor will rise from the apocalyptic ashes to hold sway over all creation. To this end, the Angels of the High Heavens adhere to strict militaristic disciplines. Seraphim warriors strike at the enemies of Light with swords imbued with righteous wrath and justice. The Angels believe that only absolute discipline can properly restore order to the myriad realms, while the demonic denizens of the Burning Hells hold that absolute chaos is the true nature of all things.

Although the Great Conflict burned hotter and longer than any of the stars in the sky, neither side could gain dominion over the other for long. Both factions sought some way to turn the tides of the war to their favor. With the ascension of Man and his mortal realm, the Great Conflict ground to a mysterious halt. Both armies paused in a breathless stalemate, waiting to see to whose side Man would eventually turn.

Mortals had the unique ability to choose between Darkness and Light, and it was held that this would be the deciding factor in the outcome of the Great Conflict. Thus, the agents of the nether-realms descended to the mortal realm to vie for the favor of Man...

Standard Rules
Spoiler:
1. Do not talk about the game outside of this thread, apart from a properly labeled spoiler in the discussion thread.
2. Please stay on topic at all times.
3. Lurking is frowned upon; if you need to drop out, please let me know as soon as possible. If someone feels that another player isn't contributing to game play, please make me aware. Modkills will be handed out if replacement cannot be found without regard to balance.
4. If you aren't part of this game, please do not post in the thread.
5. Once it is nighttime, do not post in the thread.
6. You may not quote the contents of any PM related to this game, but you can paraphrase.
7. If you have been killed in game, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information. Or something along those lines, without giving out any information or hints to anyone still playing.
8. You may not edit your posts unless explicitly told to do so by the mod (which is not in any way expected to happen).
9. You cannot ruin the game for other players.
10. You must play to achieve your win condition.
11. Please make an effort to include me on all PMs. Mistakes happen but make me aware if they do.
12. All votes must be bolded and on a separate line. Unvotes are preferred but not required. If I miss something, let me know.

Game-Specific rules (unspoilered as they are important):
1. Deadlines for days will be clearly defined but will be soft; you can continue posting until I end the day. Deadlines for nights are hard deadlines; please do not post once that time ends. Extensions may be requested only for very good reasons.
2. If at any point a player receives a majority of votes, the day will end, even if the mod hasn't posted yet. You must not post after a majority is reached.
3. If you have questions, either post them IN BOLD in this thread, or PM me.
4. As this is a closed(ish) setup, you may not get answers to your questions.
5. You may only communicate with other players via PM if I have specifically said that you can do so.
6. Players cannot target themselves unless explicitly told so via PM.
7. At the start of each day phase I will reveal the alignment and roles of all players killed since the previous day phase.
8. Name-claiming / Power-claiming is allowed. Alignments and wincons can change during the game.
9. Ties will result in no-lynch. If the majority votes No Lynch, there will be no lynch that day.
10. Some roles may have mechanisms that aren't revealed to their players in role PMs.
11. All roles in game are roles you've either seen on this forum in the past (editnote: ok maybe that's not the case, but nothing more complex than what I had in my Scooby game), or at this MafiaScum link. Flavor can be found here and here. In-game flavor will be a mix of what you can find online and my attempt to tie out what happened in game. It generally should not give any hints regarding the setup / actions.
12. There may or may not be more than two factions in the game.
13. There is no private day chat.

Town Win Condition:
Spoiler:
You are town and win when all threats to town are eliminated.

Mafia Win Condition:
Spoiler:
You are scum and win when all factions opposing you are eliminated or this outcome is inevitable.

Other Win Conditions:
Spoiler:
Yeah... no. But they exist.

Day/Night Length: Days will be roughly 96 hours long. Nights will be 48 hours long. Weekends count as half the time. Feel free to pre-send night actions, and they may be conditional (within reason).

Players:
Spoiler:
1. Sabrar (lynched D3, Archibishop Lazarus, Scum)
2. LaserGuy
3. Jimbobmacdoodle
4. GopherofPern (Stay awhile, and listen) (killed N3, Lester the Farmer, Town)
5. Freezeblade (I cannot use this yet)
6. Znirk (Lynched D2, Red Vex, Survivor)
7. ahippo (For the Horde!) / SirGabriel (killed N2, Griswold the Blacksmith, Town)
8. plytho
9. adnapemit
10. SirGabriel (killed N1, Pepin the Healer, Town)
11. Madge (killed N4, Farnham the Drunk, Town)
12. JustDanceForever (Lynched D1, Deckard Cain the Elder, Town)
13. mpolo (flavorblind…) / SDK (killed N3, Ogden the Tavern Owner, Town)
14. Carlington (lynched D4, King Leoric, SK)
15. bessie

Role PMs will be coming out over the hour or so (apologies for the delay). Please confirm in thread once you receive your role PM. The game will start once a large majority of players have confirmed, and I'll post game-related flavor as an indicator.
Last edited by dimochka on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:13 am UTC, edited 16 times in total.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Sabrar

Re: Diablo Mafia - Pregame

Postby Sabrar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:44 am UTC

Confirm.

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:59 am UTC

Confirm

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:01 am UTC

Confirm.
he him his

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:05 am UTC

Confirm
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:06 am UTC

Confirm.
Image <-- Evil experiment

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:07 am UTC

Note: The only use of RNG in this game was to allocate player alignments. Any role could be town / scum / something else.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:11 am UTC

Confirm.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:16 am UTC

Confirm
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:37 am UTC

Confirm
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

JustDanceUnlimited

Postby JustDanceUnlimited » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:15 am UTC

I'm here :D

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:13 pm UTC

Confirm

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:57 pm UTC

Confirm
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:09 pm UTC

Confirm. Also, I'm on phone only at the moment, and won't properly contribute for the next 30ish hours. Sorry.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:42 pm UTC

Confirm.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:42 pm UTC

Confirm.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:58 pm UTC

Confirm!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

dimochka

Re: Diablo Mafia - Day 1 (Tristram Awakens)

Postby dimochka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:20 pm UTC

The morning started just like any other morning in Tristram in the last month. Someone woke from the soul-piercing screaming coming from up north; others from the unexplainable shadows on the walls. And yet this was becoming routine. More adventurers will roll into town, looking for the riches of King Leoric. A few of them will attempt to take the demons head on. Few, if any will return.

As the town of Tristram was very small and had but one inn, townsfolk often conversed by the entrance or in the town square nearby. They would either gather to learn of the wise Deckard Cain, converse with (or flirt with, for the men) Gillian the Barmaid, or make fun of poor Farnham. But today was no such day. Farmer Lester found her first - Ogden's wife. Or rather her headless body leaning against the wall.

"Something must be done about this, " shouted Griswold, "maybe I should teach you all some metalworking and we can go and defeat this evil!"

"There is evil among us, but we need to be prudent about this," muttered Cain. "Why don't we gather everyone around, stay a while, and listen to each other's explanations from the previous night. It seems that the Evil that was lurking in the Cathedral has entered our beautiful town, and with the recent deaths we may need to take our own actions to rid the world of this Evil."

"But how exactly do you think that we, mere mortals, can stand up to the powers of the Lords of Hell," asked one of the newcomers, a well-spoken Bard.

"By lynching of course", shouted Wirt as he hobbled over to the fountain. "We shall get rid of these demons for once, and they'll pay for what they've done to me!"

"They're coming... the demons! The Blood!" muttered Farnham, as usual ignored by most.

It's now Day 1. 15 players alive, 8 to hammer. Day 1 will be slightly longer and end the following Monday at 8am PST (I will add timer to this post later). Subsequent days will be 3-4 real days long.

One quick note I forgot to mention - all flavor and roles are strictly from Diablo 1 and its Hellfire expansion (mostly because I wanted to keep Diablo 2 / 3 events for potential future games).

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:38 pm UTC

Vote: Carlington

because he let Town lynch me in WoT2. Shame on you!

dimochka wrote:Note: The only use of RNG in this game was to allocate player alignments. Any role could be town / scum / something else.
Was there no balancing done after allocating alignments? So all of these hypothetical scenarios could occur?
- Doctor is scum even though there's no other kill other than the Mafia NK
- PGO is scum preventing most investigative abilities succeeding on him
- Diablo is Town

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:56 pm UTC

@JustDanceUnlimited, LaserGuy, plytho: could you please let us know your preferred pronouns? What previous experience do you have in Mafia-related games?

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:09 pm UTC

Hi everyone!

This is my first time playing by forum. I have played some live werewolf games as well as the resistance/avalon. I followed the last three or four games here. My plan was to try to follow one without reading spoilers first but as dimochka said new players are welcome to join this one I went for it.

I'm also flavorblind but I figure I can catch up pretty quickly.

My pronouns are below.(But if it's easier I can add them to the list.)
|
V
he him his

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:14 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:- Doctor is scum even though there's no other kill other than the Mafia NK
- PGO is scum preventing most investigative abilities succeeding on him

No Comment
Sabrar wrote:- Diablo is Town

WHAT? Diablo is in town?? All I see are 15 regular townsfolk gathered by the well near the tavern...

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:27 pm UTC

Vote: ahippo

Because he is an orc.

Now, it's been a long long time since I played Diablo. Pending Sabrar's question, first person to say "Fresh Meat!" will be getting my vote :P

Seeing as demon possession is a thing, a cult is not out of the question. I'm also of the opinion that there might be a type of jester in the game.

Going through the wiki, there are 19 NPC's in the game, which does not include the three classes of PC in the game, nor some of the enemies (The Butcher, Diablo himself) or background characters (King Leroic, The King's son.) So there are plenty of characters to choose from.

I would say most of the town would be in: Adria, Cain, Griswold, Wirt, Ogden, Gillian, Farnham, Lester, Pepin, Kael, Celia. As for monsters, Archbishop Lazarus, the Butcher, Diablo and King Leoric would be my picks, due to their recognisability, but I'm not sure how much of a fan dimochka is of the game. Then there's also the possibility that the PC may be in the game, especially as there was a bard in the opening flavour (I don't remember a bard in any of the Diablo games).
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:35 pm UTC

Hi everyone!

For myself, I am a mafia newbie. I've followed the last few games pretty closely, and have gone back and read through some older ones.

I played the original Diablo game... maybe 10 years ago? Haven't played the sequels at all. I don't remember much of the game beyond that there's the town with a bunch of generic NPCs (I think there's a blacksmith, potion seller, magic shop, and an innkeeper?) and you go into the catacombs below the town church and kill lots of monsters.

My preferred pronouns are he/him/his etc.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:08 pm UTC

Vote JustDanceUnlimited

for being too enthusiastic in their confirmation post.

I did play some of Diablo many years ago, but I am mostly flavour blind. Hopefully, this won't be too much of a handicap.

Some miscellaneous setup thoughts and comments. 9-4-1-1 feels about right for the balance, with one of the two indies being anti-town and the other able to win with either faction. I don't think there's a cult (didn't dimochka say something about that? Phone posting so can't easily check), but I wouldn't be surprised by some way for somebody's alignment to change (e.g. Silversmith or similar).

I'm going to assume given the number of players and relatively few NPCs that scum have false claims, so a lack of counter-claiming doesn't imply town. Similarly, didn't the PC get possessed by Diablo at the end of the game? (I might well be misremembering that part). I guess that could infer a godfather, or alignment change.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:12 pm UTC

Edit - ignore (I have a bad habit of quoting posts when I mean to edit them).

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:22 pm UTC

Vote: Madge

because she tried to kill me last game.

I am just as flavorblind in this game as I was in Wheel of Time (in other words, I don't even know what book/series/etc. the flavor comes from).

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:39 pm UTC

Hello Everyone! Thoughts on setup:

I actually don't expect Diablo, The Butcher, Lazarus, Leoric, etc. To be here. Judging by the opening flavor wording, I'm guessing scum takes the form of NPC and PC "tristram" characters who are possessed by evil or evil characters, a thought that is further enforced by the "random alignment" post by the mod.

I put the possibility of a 3rd alignment that recruits just north of 75%

Ninja: I'm thinking 9-4-1-1 is a bit heavy tilted to scum team, especially if there's no vanilla characters. Perhaps closer to 10-3-1-1, with 1 being a survivor (or similar), and the other 1 being a recruiting scum faction
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:44 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:
I would say most of the town would be in: Adria, Cain, Griswold, Wirt, Ogden, Gillian, Farnham, Lester, Pepin, Kael, Celia. As for monsters, Archbishop Lazarus, the Butcher, Diablo and King Leoric would be my picks, due to their recognisability, but I'm not sure how much of a fan dimochka is of the game. Then there's also the possibility that the PC may be in the game, especially as there was a bard in the opening flavour (I don't remember a bard in any of the Diablo games).

I think we can look at those characters for role speculation but
dimochka wrote:Note: The only use of RNG in this game was to allocate player alignments. Any role could be town / scum / something else.

Indicates that town/scum is independent of characters.
he him his

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:05 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:I put the possibility of a 3rd alignment that recruits just north of 75%

That seems a bit high. Why are you so sure there's a cult in the game?

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:13 pm UTC

SirGabriel wrote:
freezeblade wrote:I put the possibility of a 3rd alignment that recruits just north of 75%

That seems a bit high. Why are you so sure there's a cult in the game?

All the little "outs" that the mod has put out, such as alignments "may or may not change," other win conditions that exist, but won't tell us what they are. This combined with the flavor, which had all the major adversaries (as far as I remember) previously Tristram characters which are "converted" or "turned" evil (the butcher, the king, even the player character at the end of the game!).

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:17 pm UTC

@LaserGuy, plytho: thank you for the answers, though I couldn't really interpret plytho's pronouns.

freezeblade wrote:Ninja: I'm thinking 9-4-1-1 is a bit heavy tilted to scum team, especially if there's no vanilla characters. Perhaps closer to 10-3-1-1, with 1 being a survivor (or similar), and the other 1 being a recruiting scum faction
I think 4 scum is more reasonable with 15 players, or maybe 3 with a Traitor?

Also the mod's reply concerns me for some reason. The setup was advertised as bastard but I would hope that balance was not thrown out of the window.

Ninja'd
@freezeblade: I was similarly convinced that there was cult in WoT1 and it turned out that there was no alignment change at all in the game, just our indie had hidden win-con at the beginning.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:28 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:I couldn't really interpret plytho's pronouns.

He posted an arrow pointing to his signature, and his pronouns are listed in his signature.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:29 pm UTC

If the indies are town-friendly, then 4 may be balanced, however the flavor is ripe for non-town aligned indies. Taking out indies all together (if they can win with any faction) would stick us at 9/4, if there are more than one killing faction, or a town aligned night kill that goes off wrong, we could get tossed at 6/4 on D2 (granted the D1 lynch is town as well), which would spell doom for town. I don't know, I could certainly be wrong, but 75% I think is a pretty good guess I think.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:31 pm UTC

SirGabriel wrote:He posted an arrow pointing to his signature, and his pronouns are listed in his signature.
Thanks, I'm blind.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:45 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:or a town aligned night kill that goes off wrong, we could get tossed at 6/4 on D2 (granted the D1 lynch is town as well)
6-4 is not the end if the indies are not anti-town, and of course lot of things have to go wrong to get that result. But I see your point, I've no idea how the mod tried to balance the indies. 4 scum + cult master or SK is likely too much, I agree on that.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:21 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Also the mod's reply concerns me for some reason. The setup was advertised as bastard but I would hope that balance was not thrown out of the window.

If I felt that the setup was grossly unbalanced, I probably would have done some something to adjust. I'm not saying that it's balanced or unbalanced now, but I would not be comfortable picking a likely winning / losing faction at this point.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:59 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:I'm also of the opinion that there might be a type of jester in the game.
What makes you say this?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:38 pm UTC

Looking at the flavor text and cross-referencing with the Diablo wiki, all of the named characters are from the game with the exceptions of the deceased Ogden's wife and the unnamed "well-spoken Bard".

Bard (along with Barbarian) is apparently a hidden playable class in the expansion version of the game that's only available by modifying an internal game file. Not sure if it's significant, but it is interesting that it's explicitly mentioned.

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:08 am UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:Vote: ahippo

Because he is an orc.

As an ogre, this is very offensive. Do all Draenor races look the same to you? The Horde is a diverse, inviting community. #OccupyStormwind.

But seriously,

Gopher of Pern wrote:I would say most of the town would be in: Adria, Cain, Griswold, Wirt, Ogden, Gillian, Farnham, Lester, Pepin, Kael, Celia.

I haven't played D1, (touched a bit of D2, played a lot of D3), but I see my character's name in there. There are probably more from this list than just myself.

freezeblade wrote:I actually don't expect Diablo, The Butcher, Lazarus, Leoric, etc. To be here.

At first I thought that couldn't possibly be the case, but you're kinda right. I don't think Tyrael could be scum, or Diablo town. Here's a total shot in the dark. Is it possible that Diablo's influence jumps from person to person, and we'd have lynch the one who's currently possessed? I'm not really sure how that would all work, but it's a possibility that allows for shifting alignments without being a cult game. I'm sure that's not the actual setup, but it's a thought. It sorta fits with RNG alignments, too.

Return to “Mafia”