The Dark Tower - Mission failure

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sabrar

The Dark Tower - Mission failure

Postby Sabrar » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:30 am UTC

The Dark Tower

See the TURTLE of enormous girth!
On his shell he holds the Earth,
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind.

On his back the truth is carried,
And there are love and duty married.
He loves the earth and loves the sea,
And even loves a child like me.

Standard Rules
Spoiler:
1. Do not talk about the game outside of this thread, apart from a properly labeled spoiler in the discussion thread.
2. Please stay on topic at all times.
3. Lurking is frowned upon; if you need to drop out, please let me know as soon as possible. If someone feels that another player isn't contributing to game play, please make me aware. Modkills will be handed out if replacement cannot be found without regard to balance.
4. If you aren't part of this game, please do not post in the thread.
5. You’re alive until you are hammered in a lynch, or the mod tells you that you're dead, by PM or in thread.
6. If you die, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information.
7. You may not post verbatim or quote from your role PM or any other messages sent to you by the mod. Paraphrasing is fine.
8. You may not edit your posts.
9. You may not play to lose, act in a way that is clearly against your win condition or ruin the game for other players.
10. You may not use encryption systems in order to communicate privately or circumvent these rules.
11. Please make an effort to include me on all PMs. Mistakes happen but make me aware if they do.
12. All votes must be bolded and on a separate line. Unvotes are preferred but not required. If I miss something, let me know.
13. This is a game; it’s meant to be fun. Personal attacks or other offensive behaviour towards other players will not be tolerated.

Game-Specific rules:
Spoiler:
1. Due to the number of players each day will last a week (at least in the beginning). Deadlines are soft (you can post after them as long I don't say otherwise) but you can expect me to be online and declare day-end very close to it. Extension might be granted if I feel it's necessary.
2. You may post in thread during the day phase but not the night phase. It is night when the mod posts a day-end post or a hammer vote is cast. Note that this means you may not post content after a hammer vote.
3. If you have questions, either post them in bold in this thread, or PM me.
4. As this is a closed(ish) setup, you may not get answers to your questions but the mod will never lie.
5. You may only communicate with other players by PM if I have specifically said you can do so. You must CC me in all PMs.
6. Players cannot target themselves unless explicitly told so via PM.
7. This game is nightless - see details below.
8. At the start of each day phase I will reveal the alignment and roles of all players killed since the previous day phase.
9. If the deadline is reached and no player has been hammered, then the person with the most votes at the deadline will be lynched.
10. A tied vote at day end will result in No Lynch in all cases.
11. You can vote not to lynch anyone by casting a vote for "NL" or “No Lynch”. “No Lynch” will be treated exactly the same as any other player for determining votal results.
12. Every ability in the game is either standard or a minor variation of an otherwise standard ability (for balance reasons, though I tried to provide flavor justification for it as well). There are no hidden aspects to any of the roles. Some examples of roles that are guaranteed to be absent in this game:
- listening / spoiler reading
- lie detecting
- vote manipulating
- alignment / win-condition changing

Nightless Setup
Spoiler:
This game is nightless - if a player or faction has any night actions, these should be submitted before the end of the day phase. All night actions are then processed as quickly as
possible and the next day begins as soon as that's done. If a player fails to send in an action, they will not carry out any action that night (unless that day was exceptionally short - e.g. a majority lynch was reached within 24 hours -, in which case a brief period of grace might be allowed in which actions can be sent in). Players are therefore encouraged to send in actions early on during the day phase. To facilitate that I will allow players to send in back-up actions should events such as the lynch make their original action impossible. For example, Mafia might send in the action:
Kill: X
Back-up Kill: Y

If X is lynched or otherwise killed at the end of the day, I will treat the Mafia as having decided to kill Y that night instead.
You may also modify your actions as many times as you wish before night is declared.

Note regarding flavour:
Spoiler:
- Characters were chosen because either I like them and wanted to include them in the game or because I needed them to fill a specific role. Therefore not all of them are necessarily main protagonists/antagonists from very famous books/movies.
- Multiple characters from the same book/series may be present but not necessarily made aware of each other.
- Flavor generally won't contain any hints about night activities however if the mood strikes me I might include tidbits that could in hindsight provide some insight. Don't take this for granted
though.

Players:
1. jimbobmacdoodle - WINNER, Mafia
2. mpolo - WINNER, killed N2, Independent
3. SDK - WINNER, Mafia
4. LaserGuy - WINNER, Mafia
5. dimochka - lynched D1, Town
6. Carlington - lynched D2, Town
7. Gopher of Pern - killed N3, Town
8. bessie - killed N1, Town
9. plytho - killed N1, Town
10. #HBC | YOLOSWAG - lynched D3, Serial Killer
11. FrozenFlame - endgamed N3, Town
12. #HBC | Zyth - endgamed N3, Town
13. BoomFrog - killed N2, Town

Replacements:
1. Madge
2. freezeblade

Role PMs will be sent within the next hour. Please confirm in thread once you receive your role PM. The game will start once a large majority of players have confirmed, and I'll post game-related flavor as an indicator.
Last edited by Sabrar on Tue May 09, 2017 8:24 am UTC, edited 5 times in total.

Gopher of Pern

Re: The Dark Tower - Pregame

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:59 am UTC

Confirmed.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:06 am UTC

Confirm.
he him his

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:41 am UTC

Confirmed.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:44 am UTC

confirm

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:01 pm UTC

Confirm
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:06 pm UTC

Confirm.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:10 pm UTC

Confirm.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:23 pm UTC

Confirm.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:41 pm UTC

Confirm
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:13 pm UTC

Confirm
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:52 pm UTC

Hey, Boomfrog! I didn't see you sign up! I don't think I've played with you since my very first game on this site. Welcome back.

(Sorry Sabrar for technically breaking the rules with this post. Hope you don't mind.)

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:58 pm UTC

Confirm.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:30 am UTC

The harsh sun constantly drained the travellers' resolve. The desert looked endless, watering holes were extremely rare and most of the group was not used to having to ration their food. Still Roland Deschain marched ahead relentlessly and the others have learned long ago that arguing with him was just a waste of precious energy.

In the old days Roland has never questioned the will of Ka, still lately he could not help but wonder why this new ragtag bunch was sent to aid him in his quest and what fate befell the rest of his old ka-tet. Some of them showed great promise with the touch1, others he had no idea what use they would be, and the rest he didn't trust at all. He was determined to keep his eyes open and watch out for any trouble, though seeing that this was his normal modus operandi anyway it didn't require any special effort from his part.

The days dragged along, boring and mind-numbing one after the other. The monotonity was however suddenly broken when the group finally spotted the Path of the Beam they were looking for that could guide their steps towards their end-goal. Their mood instantly changed and caution was thrown to the wind as they raced each other. They noticed only after a couple of minutes when the excitement died down that their fearless leader was no longer among them. Unhurriedly they started to look for him but their expressions soon turned grim when they found his still bleeding body. His head was also discovered several meters away, torn from his neck by an enormous force.

After the initial shock the travellers realized that whoever did this dastardly deed had to be among them as no other being could be seen for several miles. It was obvious that agents of the Crimson King somehow sneaked into the group and those true souls who really wished to continue Roland's quest would first need to eliminate these rogue elements. But where to start?

1collective word for psychic abilities, manifests mostly as telepathy and precognition

It is now Day 1. Deadline is 9am UTC, April 25 (a week from now).

13 players alive, 7 votes required to hammer.

Addendum to the rules because it was left out from first draft:
Dead players may read spoilers.

jimbobmacdoodle

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 1 - Mistrust

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:13 am UTC

Vote LaserGuy

for trying to blackmail me in the last game.

I'm completely flavour blind, but it sounds like that shouldn't be an issue.

I haven't played with a number of players on here before. BoomFrog, Zyth, and FrozenFlame, would you mind giving those of us who don't know you an overview of your previous Mafia experience?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:37 am UTC

I'm pretty flavour blind as well.

Some info for the new faces: this is my second game. My first was the previous game on these forums (Diablo).
he him his

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:17 am UTC

Nice to see Boomfrog back, as well as other players.

I have read most of King's books, though it was a while ago. If there is an SK, I hope it's It. Everyone floats down here...

8/3/1/1 would be my guess, as I think Sabrar said everyone has power roles, with one anti-town indy (SK likely), and one neutral indy (survivor, possibly)

I may not be able to post much over the next few days (at a conference), but I will try to contribute when I can.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:02 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Vote LaserGuy

for trying to blackmail me in the last game.

I'm completely flavour blind, but it sounds like that shouldn't be an issue.

I haven't played with a number of players on here before. BoomFrog, Zyth, and FrozenFlame, would you mind giving those of us who don't know you an overview of your previous Mafia experience?

Hi! I haven't played mafia for quite awhile now, 2 years I think? Back when I played though I wasn't much of an analytical player, more of an intuitive player. This is my 2nd game here on this site, nice to meet you guys(some of you again)! Completely flavor blind here as well. I will probably not be able to post too much, perhaps just once per day as I'll be busy during the day.

Gopher of Pern wrote:Nice to see Boomfrog back, as well as other players.

I have read most of King's books, though it was a while ago. If there is an SK, I hope it's It. Everyone floats down here...

8/3/1/1 would be my guess, as I think Sabrar said everyone has power roles, with one anti-town indy (SK likely), and one neutral indy (survivor, possibly)

I may not be able to post much over the next few days (at a conference), but I will try to contribute when I can.

With the numbers of 8/3/1/1, why is it likely that there is an SK in this game? In the worst case scenario: a mislynch and mafia and SK both kill a member of town, we are in mylo on Day 2, that's pretty crazy.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:53 pm UTC

Vote Laserguy

Yeehaw.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:05 pm UTC

I'm flavor blind. Last game I played, I believe I was in some kind of second mafia team.

3 mafia members is ideal for a 13 man, that's what I'm operating with. Are 3rd party roles standard 'round these parts?

plytho

Postby plytho » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:25 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Are 3rd party roles standard 'round these parts?

I believe independents are relatively common here, but I'm new so don't take my word for it.

Vote: YOLOSWAG

For putting a joke vote on someone who was already voted on.
he him his

FrozenFlame

Postby FrozenFlame » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:29 pm UTC

Guess here's my late /confirm

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I haven't played with a number of players on here before. BoomFrog, Zyth, and FrozenFlame, would you mind giving those of us who don't know you an overview of your previous Mafia experience?

My mafia experience is extensive, with regard to both actual game play and theorycrafting. I started playing forum mafia back in 2005 and played in games pretty regularly until about 2012 when I graduated undergrad. I played pretty sporadically for a few years after that and am just now coming off some time away from the game, been about a year and a half or so since my last game.

I used to run the mafia club at my undergrad fwiw, so designing well balanced closed setups usually ranging between 12 - 20ish players, and of course teaching the game through opens like F11 and Jungle Republic is pretty par for the course for me. I have a firm grasp of what it means to play to wincon and the fundamental mechanics that make this game tick. So don't worry, I'm no rookie in need of coddling haha.

HBC Yoloswag and I go way back having met thru playing mafia together close to a decade ago, so he can vouch for my experience. We've had many a tight scum hunting experience =P But if for whatever reason this snapshot of my mafia background isn't sufficient feel free to test my knowledge as you see fit.

Gopher of Pern wrote:Nice to see Boomfrog back, as well as other players.

What do you mean by "everyone floats down here?" Are you saying that mods here tend to hold weak indy roles in reserve incase a difficult to balance number of players sign up? I'd hope that people would recognize the inherent swingyness you introduce to setup by just adding indies willy nilly. Balance problems like that are much better solved via more "mountainous" power distribution tending toward greater town numbers in the case of overflow.

Plus survivor is a toxic, degenerative role and should never be used as a balancing mechanism IMO. But hey if thats the flavor of things around here we'll have to play around it, and not into it I suppose. In any case some clarification on the basis for this meta speculation would be nice. Because.....

#HBC | Zyth wrote:With the numbers of 8/3/1/1, why is it likely that there is an SK in this game? In the worst case scenario: a mislynch and mafia and SK both kill a member of town, we are in mylo on Day 2, that's pretty crazy.

Bingo. 8/3/1/1 is insanely swingy with two killing factions. I'd like to believe that any mod worth his salt would be aware of this. If this is a serious possibility we really can't afford to have a lazy D1.

That being said, laserguy is clearly scum so let's just keep it simple here folks and ride this wagon to the promised land

Vote: Laserguy

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:51 pm UTC

Thanks Sabrar for including links in your flavor. I read the first of the Dark Tower books years ago. Kinda sad that the only link I have with the Stephen King universe died in the very first post!

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Vote Laserguy

Yeehaw.

Solid reasoning.

Vote Laserguy

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:I'm flavor blind. Last game I played, I believe I was in some kind of second mafia team.

Hey, yeah, that was with me! That game was one of Misnomer's rare duds (though I also didn't have time, which didn't help our cause).

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:3 mafia members is ideal for a 13 man, that's what I'm operating with. Are 3rd party roles standard 'round these parts?

Pretty common (perhaps too common), not quite standard, but I'd bet there likely is one, maybe even two. Agreed that 3 mafia is the obvious choice.

Welcome to xkcd, FrozenFlame. It's always interesting to play with new experienced players. 8-3-1-1 is a possibility. But don't worry, we can catch scum Day 1. Like you said, we already have.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:17 pm UTC

Poor LaserGuy. I promised to vote him and by the time I got ready for my first post he has four joke votes.

vote plytho
Mostly for assuming that all games are like my mess of a game.

FoS FrozenFlame for being 3rd on the wagon, which is somehow scum pretty often.

8-3-1-1 could work, but I might want to go back and see what sabrar thinks of independents / SKs. A cult isn't out of the question, is it? (should probably check if it's in the rules but i'm late to work right now). I have zero flavor knowledge so this will be interesting.

Also, I'm not a PGO... Or am I?

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:22 pm UTC

EBWOP: no cult because no alignment changing conditions. So unless I see otherwise, 8-3-1-1 makes sense to me. And that last 1 might be a jester (just a hunch).

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:29 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:FoS FrozenFlame for being 3rd on the wagon, which is somehow scum pretty often.

You called those votes for LaserGuy jokes. Does this rule of thumb apply to joke votes?

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:09 pm UTC

Good morning all, for those that haven’t played with me before, I don’t play during work (I’m in California) so most of my posts will be nights and weekends, with some short morning posts.

Welcome back to Boomfrog, and to #HBC YOLOSWAG and #HBC Zyth, I remember you both from Shakespeare Mafia a couple years ago.

Welcome FrozenFlame, it’s always great to see some new faces. Thanks for the introduction, here’s a little about me. This is the only place I’ve ever played mafia. I’ve been playing for about three years, but I don’t play too often, and I had to take a long break about a year ago because my dog was sick.

Ok, setup. Everyone has a (standard-ish) power role, so my initial guess on the setup is 8/3/1/1 or 8/2/1/1/1 (with a mafia supporter). I think a serial killer is likely, just because it seems to be the norm, and I see one in almost every game.

More tonight when I get home.

FrozenFlame

Postby FrozenFlame » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:12 pm UTC

SDK wrote:
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:3 mafia members is ideal for a 13 man, that's what I'm operating with. Are 3rd party roles standard 'round these parts?

Pretty common (perhaps too common), not quite standard, but I'd bet there likely is one, maybe even two. Agreed that 3 mafia is the obvious choice.

Likelihood of independents generally aside, I think more relevant inquiry that Yolo is posing to you and any other players experienced in the XKCD game design meta is whether or not those "perhaps common" indies tend to be killing roles? 3 maf/1 SK/1 non killing indy is pretty damn swingy. 3 maf/1 marker/1 other non killer is distinctly less so. I don't know if this site has any experience with abductors but those can me used in medium sized games to introduce a second "killing" faction other than the mafia and still prevent crossfire/double town NK dick downing from taking a faction out of the game for no real meritorious reason.

So yeah, that's really just a long way of asking whether mods here tend to always default to independent roles with the ability to consistently NK in medium sized games like this, or whether they use more non traditional, but less swingy indies?

SDK wrote:Welcome to xkcd, FrozenFlame. It's always interesting to play with new experienced players. 8-3-1-1 is a possibility. But don't worry, we can catch scum Day 1. Like you said, we already have.

Thanks man, couldn't agree more that playing with a new set of experienced players is an interesting and engaging experience. Not that my old communities don't hold a special place in my heart but there's something exhilarating about playing this game with solid players who learned the game from a different village so to speak. Love me some strategic idiosyncrasies :wink:

dimochka wrote:Poor LaserGuy. I promised to vote him and by the time I got ready for my first post he has four joke votes.

vote plytho
Mostly for assuming that all games are like my mess of a game.

FoS FrozenFlame for being 3rd on the wagon, which is somehow scum pretty often.

8-3-1-1 could work, but I might want to go back and see what sabrar thinks of independents / SKs. A cult isn't out of the question, is it? (should probably check if it's in the rules but i'm late to work right now). I have zero flavor knowledge so this will be interesting.

Also, I'm not a PGO... Or am I?

Breaking promises and FoSing me in your first post? Never before has OMGUS been more justified

Unvote: Laserguy

Vote: plytho

dimochka wrote:EBWOP: no cult because no alignment changing conditions. So unless I see otherwise, 8-3-1-1 makes sense to me. And that last 1 might be a jester (just a hunch).

Though this is definitely some key info to be reminding everyone of. Love mods who have the confidence in their setup's robustness to rule out certain roles. Confirming absence of converters is huge strategically. Though if that means we have a jester instead I'll be decidedly triggered. I'd take cults in every game I played in I got a guarantee of no jester in each and every game...

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:16 pm UTC

SDK wrote:
dimochka wrote:FoS FrozenFlame for being 3rd on the wagon, which is somehow scum pretty often.

You called those votes for LaserGuy jokes. Does this rule of thumb apply to joke votes?

Often D1 votes have little basis other than "I didn't see much content from him/her" or "he/she seems to be active lurking". For that reason, I think it might. I think it's more so that 3rd position that intuitively feels safer for some reason. If anything I'd say it has more merit when there is little contribution than when there is an ample information/claims available.

FrozenFlame wrote:
dimochka wrote:EBWOP: no cult because no alignment changing conditions. So unless I see otherwise, 8-3-1-1 makes sense to me. And that last 1 might be a jester (just a hunch).

Though this is definitely some key info to be reminding everyone of. Love mods who have the confidence in their setup's robustness to rule out certain roles. Confirming absence of converters is huge strategically. Though if that means we have a jester instead I'll be decidedly triggered. I'd take cults in every game I played in I got a guarantee of no jester in each and every game...

For some reason I just think that Sabrar would toss a jester in because he likes that role, but I could be completely off base here.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:02 pm UTC

I forget who, but somebody in Diablo looked back at past games and demonstrated that the 3rd on the wagon comment is basically unjustified.
dimochka wrote:For some reason I just think that Sabrar would toss a jester in because he likes that role, but I could be completely off base here.
This matches my thinking except that there has been no jester in Sabrar's previous games. On the other hand I don't see why he wouldn't change the setup for this game to add one.

@FrozenFrog, third party roles are the norm in games around here with Serial Killers and Survivors the most common (the last game had one of the first and two of the latter, for example). Lynchers and jesters have also been seen, but far less frequently. Other indies are very uncommon, but occasionally make an appearance. Based on Sabrar's description of this game, I'd expect any indies to be among the more common ones seen.

FWIW, I think an SK a little unlikely at this point because IIRC, in Dollhouse, Town had all but lost after N1, due to too many deaths. A 9-4 would be entirely reasonable, as it gives Town two mislynches before LYLO (assuming there is one death each night).
BlitzGirl the Primordial

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:54 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I forget who, but somebody in Diablo looked back at past games and demonstrated that the 3rd on the wagon comment is basically unjustified.

Can't fully verify at work because... I have a lot of work. But I went through 5 games old games (that sufficiently distracted me for a while) and saw 4 town / 1 SK as 3rd vote. So I tentatively agree that it may not have merit.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:07 pm UTC

So, I'm a little late to the party. I read a lot of King in high school, but that was before the Dark Tower stuff started connecting them so much. So I don't know that much about the setup. My particular character is known to me, at least vaguely, so that's a plus. (No direct run to a wiki for me!)

The opening flavor seems to point to persons aligned with Roland and persons aligned with the Crimson King as the major factions. I suspect there's going to be a good amount of independent roles as well, though.
Image <-- Evil experiment

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:13 pm UTC

FrozenFlame wrote:
SDK wrote:

Likelihood of independents generally aside, I think more relevant inquiry that Yolo is posing to you and any other players experienced in the XKCD game design meta is whether or not those "perhaps common" indies tend to be killing roles? 3 maf/1 SK/1 non killing indy is pretty damn swingy. 3 maf/1 marker/1 other non killer is distinctly less so. I don't know if this site has any experience with abductors but those can me used in medium sized games to introduce a second "killing" faction other than the mafia and still prevent crossfire/double town NK dick downing from taking a faction out of the game for no real meritorious reason.

So yeah, that's really just a long way of asking whether mods here tend to always default to independent roles with the ability to consistently NK in medium sized games like this, or whether they use more non traditional, but less swingy indies?

I've never heard of an adbuctor, and I can't find it on mafiascum wiki either. What is that role?

Neutral killing roles are pretty common. Without going back to look, I'd guess it would be between a quarter to a third of all games here have an SK. I've personally always found it difficult to be very creative with neutral roles, and haven't seen many examples of creative indies here either. Take what you will from that, I guess.

FrozenFlame wrote:Breaking promises and FoSing me in your first post? Never before has OMGUS been more justified

Unvote: Laserguy

Vote: plytho

Was this vote supposed to be for dimochka?

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@FrozenFrog

I guess if you are mafia, neither FrozenFlame nor BoomFrog are your buddies. :P

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:23 pm UTC

SDK wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@FrozenFrog

I guess if you are mafia, neither FrozenFlame nor BoomFrog are your buddies. :P
Oh phone-posting, how often do you cause me to make mistakes! Sorry guys! That was directed @FrozenFlame!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:52 pm UTC

Hi everyone! Four votes on D1? I didn't realize I was so intimidating.

YOLOSWAG, SDK, FrozenFlame, why did you decide to vote for me? jimbob, IGMEOY for keeping your joke vote on me after a wagon formed around it.

On flavor, I've read the Dark Tower books, though it's been awhile, but not a lot of Stephen King's other books. The Dark Tower is supposed to be a kind of meta-story that connects many of his works, especially his later stuff. The main protagonists are all gunslingers, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of extra people with guns in the game. The core characters are Roland Deschain, Eddie Dean, Susannah Dean, Jake Chambers, and Oy the billy bumbler (very intelligent dog/raccoon animal). Eddie and Susannah are married, Jake and Oy are sort of telepathically connected. Susannah has multiple personality disorder and has four different personalities over the course of the series. The main recurring villain is Randall Flagg, who is the meta-villain in a bunch of Stephen King's novels. His boss is the Crimson King. There's a large cast of other villains in the series, most of whom tend to die in the books that they appear in. Not sure if the flavor is going to be all that much help if Sabrar is drawing from the entire Stephen King universe though, but I'll be surprised if most/all of these characters don't show up.

FrozenFlame wrote:What do you mean by "everyone floats down here?" Are you saying that mods here tend to hold weak indy roles in reserve incase a difficult to balance number of players sign up? I'd hope that people would recognize the inherent swingyness you introduce to setup by just adding indies willy nilly. Balance problems like that are much better solved via more "mountainous" power distribution tending toward greater town numbers in the case of overflow.

I think "everyone floats down here" is a line from the book IT.

FWIW, the most recent game here (Diablo) was 9-3-1-1-1 with two survivors and an SK. I would be very surprised if there weren't at least one independent if earlier games are any indication. The flavor would definitely favor a serial killer. Sabrar had indicated that the roles would be fairly standard, so I wouldn't expect to see something like an abductor showing up.

dimochka wrote:Also, I'm not a PGO... Or am I?

WIFOM on your first post? IGMEOY dimochka.

FrozenFang, YOLOSWAG, Zyth, what are your preferred pronouns (he/she/they, etc.)?

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:06 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
dimochka wrote:Also, I'm not a PGO... Or am I?

WIFOM on your first post? IGMEOY dimochka.

FWIW this is in reference to the Pokemon game two months ago where I claimed PGO in my first D1 post. I was not PGO. and I was town. Does not mean anything regarding my role this game, but figured I'd explain.

I am pretty certain that there are some kind of independents. SK is almost a given. No clue what the other would be but either survivor or jester IMO. Jesters are indeed annoying.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:30 pm UTC

Vote dimochka.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:30 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:YOLOSWAG, SDK, FrozenFlame, why did you decide to vote for me?

"Yeehaw" didn't convince you?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Hi everyone! Four votes on D1? I didn't realize I was so intimidating.

YOLOSWAG, SDK, FrozenFlame, why did you decide to vote for me? jimbob, IGMEOY for keeping your joke vote on me after a wagon formed around it.
*Shrug*. I was interested to see how you reacted before removing my vote after others piled on. If you'd been at L-1, it might have been a different matter, but at L-3 votes, why are you bothered by me leaving my vote on?

SDK is doing his usual prod people to try to get reactions routine, which is why he jumped on you. YOLOSWAG and FrozenFlame I don't know well enough, but I'd guess the same motive lies behind at least the latter's vote as well.

Everybody's general belief (including my own) about SKs being the norm led me to look back at the past few "traditional" games to double check, and I see Serial Killers in Diablo, MMM2, Secret Santa 2016, and Impromptu Mafia, but not in Wheel of Time 2, or Trial of the Pariahs, the latter modded by Sabrar, so from a small sample size, an SK appears to be slightly more likely than not. As I think I said in Diablo though, there's not much point in worrying about it now until we see the night results.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:35 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:SDK is doing his usual prod people to try to get reactions routine, which is why he jumped on you. YOLOSWAG and FrozenFlame I don't know well enough, but I'd guess the same motive lies behind at least the latter's vote as well.

Why are you answering questions that weren't directed at you? Aren't you interested in seeing their answers? You know, so you can get a read on them?

Return to “Mafia”