The Dark Tower - Mission failure

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
BoomFrog
Posts: 1069
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:59 am UTC
Location: Minneapolis

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 1 - Mistrust

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 03, 2017 12:33 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:Deadline is in 12 hours. Please send me your night-actions (if you have any) before the end of the day!

Votals:
Carlington - 4 (LaserGuy, #HBC | Zyth, FrozenFlame, #HBC | YOLOSWAG)
Gopher of Pern - 2 (Carlington, SDK)
#HBC | YOLOSWAG - 2 (Gopher of Pern, mpolo)
#HBC | Zyth - 1 (BoomFrog)
mpolo - 1 (jimbobmacdoodle)

6 to hammer, tied votals will result in a No Lynch.


jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Unvote
Vote Gopher of Pern


Gopher of Pern wrote:Unvote
Vote: Carlington


SDK wrote:Unvote, Vote Carlington.


I believe that's hammer.

2. You may post in thread during the day phase but not the night phase. It is night when the mod posts a day-end post or a hammer vote is cast. Note that this means you may not post content after a hammer vote.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 2 - Misfortune

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 03, 2017 4:46 am UTC

That was indeed hammer, thanks to all for honoring it.

D3 starts when I get to a computer, roughly 4 hours from now.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 2 - Misfortune

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 03, 2017 7:41 am UTC

Final votals:

Carlington - 6 (LaserGuy, #HBC | Zyth, FrozenFlame, #HBC | YOLOSWAG, Gopher of Pern, SDK)
Gopher of Pern - 2 (Carlington, jimbobmacdoodle)
#HBC | YOLOSWAG - 1 (mpolo)
#HBC | Zyth - 1 (BoomFrog)

Carlington has been lynched. D3 will start soon.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 2 - Misfortune

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 03, 2017 7:52 am UTC

Richie (he never got used to being called Richard) was extremely nervous. His companions didn't seem to appreciate his talent, calling him phoney and a hack. Even though he practiced his art whenever he could, he liked to do this privately before first performing to a new audience and they interpreted his absence completely wrong. For basically the first time in his life he simply couldn't find the right words.

Carlington is dead, he was Richie Tozier, a member of the Town.
Spoiler:
Role: Richie Tozier (It)
From early childhood your main hobby was imitating others, and your talent came handy in defeating when a demonic entity from an another dimension threatened to destroy your town and everyone in it. You've since managed to forget about the incident and return to a normal life. Constantly honing your skills as an adult you make your living due to the 'Voices' you have perfected over the years. Now an unknown force has transported you to a mostly deserted world along with a few others to protect something they call the 'Beam'. Your lingering psychic abilities (from your time spent with the rest of the Losers' Club) allow you to sense that the intentions of this force are genuine and this is a cause worth fighting for, however you're also sure that there are evildoers in the group who conspired against the rest of you.
Ability: You can easily pick up and mimic any voice you encounter, including accents, inflections, all. This ability borders on the supernatural and more often than not that in itself is enough to produce the same results. You are Town's Universal Backup. Each day you may choose a power that a dead Townie possessed and use that ability the following night. However you've always believed that variety is the spice of life, so you're constantly compelled to try out new 'Voices'. Each day you must switch to another ability if possible and you must favor a completely new 'Voice' if one is available to you. Please be aware that not all abilities can be copied, I will inform you at the beginning of each day about your available choices.
Alignment: You are Town and win when all threats to Town are eliminated.
Andy wasn't quite sure what her daughter was doing with this bunch of people, however he was determined keep her safe from all harm. He was constantly on the lookout for any kind of danger though he didn't really understand this talk about a Crimson King and why he was important. Due to his disguise Charlie didn't seem to recognize him which was just as well. He felt uneasy about her disposition given her prolonged captivity. 'Maybe he should risk a conversation with her in the morning?' were his last thoughts, his mind still preoccupied with the only family he had.

mpolo is dead, he was Andy McGee, Independent.
Spoiler:
Role: Andy McGee (Firestarter)
In your youth you signed up for a supposedly harmless experiment to earn easy money and have regretted that decision ever since. You've made the 'mistake' of marrying another survivor of that experiment and now the government is extremely interested in your daughter who shows even more promise in her supernatural abilities than any of you did previously. They've already killed your wife and kidnapped Charlie and yourself to further study the limits of your powers. With some cunning you managed to get away but heard worrying reports about your daughter's mental health. You managed to track her down and want to be reunited with her, however you're cautious in approaching her as you have no idea whether her captivity caused any permanent damage.
Abilities:
- You would do anything to protect Charlie, even die for her. You're a Guardian Angel for [REDACTED] whose role is Charlie McGee (no confirmation whether they are Town/scum/indie, nor what their ability is). You have a 1-shot Bodyguard ability, once per game you may choose to activate it and if during the night [REDACTED] would be killed you will die instead.
- You know your daughter better than anyone else and can easily avoid her attention. You are immune to any action she performs.
Alignment: You are Independent and win if [REDACTED] is alive at the end of the game.
Additional info: Should [REDACTED] die while you're still alive you will leave the game as well as there will be no sense in staying with a bunch of strangers whose goals you do not share.
Oy was said to see Oland dying but even worse was how that affected Ake. He was extremely depressed and nothing Oy tried seemed to cheer him up. Still Jake went on, fully believing in the cause but losing hope step by step. On the second night while Oy was making his rounds he suddenly felt that something horrible happened to his friend. He hurried back but already knew deep inside that it was too late.

BoomFrog is dead, he was Jake Chambers, a member of the Town.
Spoiler:
Role: Jake Chambers (The Dark Tower)
You're only 11 but you've seen so much more and possess a hardness that would surprise many. Though you might not always enjoy it, you're a natural with a gun (or in fact with any ranged weapon) and also have limited psychic capabilities. Fate itself has drawn you into this adventure - though you were never really sad to leave your parents and your old life behind - and now you've got to see it through and protect the Beam that holds the entire multiverse together and prevents it from slipping into total chaos. Luckily you found Oy, an extremely intelligent billy-bumbler (combination of badger, raccoon and dog) who keeps you company during your travels.
Ability: During the night you may send out Oy (with whom you can communicate telepathically) to stay close to someone and see through his eyes who interacted with them. You're a standard Watcher but you may not target the same player on consecutive nights as that's boring to Oy.
Alignment: You are Town and win when all threats to Town are eliminated.
Oy's howls woke up the rest of the travellers. Tragedy has struck again and no respite was in sight. The next day looked to be absolutely crucial.


It is now Day 3. Deadline is set at next Tuesday 9am UTC.

7 players alive, 4 votes required to hammer.

User avatar
Gopher of Pern
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed May 03, 2017 8:12 am UTC

Well, my reads have sucked so far this game. Hopefully they will be better from now on.

SDK, you're up. Why did you hammer? Tell me why I shouldn't vote for you?

jimbob, why were you still voting for mpolo?

Will have more later, gotta run.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed May 03, 2017 8:15 am UTC

Wow my reads have been bad this game. At least I was right about Carlington. Speaking of which:

FoS SDK for hammering a townie while discussion was still underway.

I clearly need to go back and do a complete re-read of all remaining players and try to reset my scumdar.

I'm not going to apologise for SK hunting, since I wasn't doing it in lieu of Mafia hunting. However, today it looks like we have to lynch Mafia, and hope the SK hits them as well tonight, or we lose. This is assuming 3-3-1, which it might not be of course.

Is it mass claim time? I'm happy to go first/early since I know I don't look good, but if people think it's better to hold off, I'll do so.

Ninja'ed by Gopher - I wasn't, I was voting for you, and I didn't have a chance to change after you were confirmed as Town. I'm not sure who I would have switched to, but probably back to mpolo, because I still believed him to be SK.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Gopher of Pern
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed May 03, 2017 11:15 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Wow my reads have been bad this game. At least I was right about Carlington. Speaking of which:

FoS SDK for hammering a townie while discussion was still underway.

I clearly need to go back and do a complete re-read of all remaining players and try to reset my scumdar.

I'm not going to apologise for SK hunting, since I wasn't doing it in lieu of Mafia hunting. However, today it looks like we have to lynch Mafia, and hope the SK hits them as well tonight, or we lose. This is assuming 3-3-1, which it might not be of course.

Is it mass claim time? I'm happy to go first/early since I know I don't look good, but if people think it's better to hold off, I'll do so.

Ninja'ed by Gopher - I wasn't, I was voting for you, and I didn't have a chance to change after you were confirmed as Town. I'm not sure who I would have switched to, but probably back to mpolo, because I still believed him to be SK.


Sorry, didn't see the unvote and vote.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

User avatar
FrozenFlame
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:26 am UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby FrozenFlame » Wed May 03, 2017 1:57 pm UTC

Man I feel seriously played right now. Scum must be keeping me and my shitty reads alive for a reason. It's time to call bullshit on this whole thing.

We've gotta be at 3/3/1 with an SK or 4/3 with a vig which would explain why mpolo got offed last night. Not sure why mafia or an SK would kill off an independent instead of forcing town out of contention considering he made it clear in his claim that his win condition was solely related to his GA target's survival, suggesting he could be a shared victor. But then again, maybe no one actually targetted mpolo and he used his protection ability last night, guessed right, and died in the place of his GA?

Regardless, I'm down for mass claim. We've got nothing to lose at this point considering one more mislynch and town is all but guaranteed to lose. I have somewhat valuable information to share, and I think it will have greater utility in the context of the full setup. Determining claim order will certainly be important though.

Also NO ONE SHOULD VOTE RIGHT NOW. If we are 3/3/1 all it takes is one vote on a non scum and scum can alpha strike us for the win. So let's be smart here and put everything on the table before we take any such risks.

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby SDK » Wed May 03, 2017 3:47 pm UTC

Sorry guys. I have to apologize about that hammer. I had no idea we were at L-1, and in fact didn't even see Gopher's vote until this morning. I wrote that vote up hastily after dinner while my son was tugging on me to go play, so I must have just skipped over the confirmation, if there even was one. If it's any consolation, it screwed up my night action too. I wanted to target someone else, but submitted it after I did the hammer, and Sabrar made the call that I was stuck with my first choice. Turns out it doesn't matter for reasons I will elaborate on when we get to claiming.

I'm assuming mpolo was the mafia kill, likely trying to kill the SK? Either they hit the SK and mpolo used his bodyguard, or they killed mpolo because they thought he was the SK. Either way, the SK kill must have been BoomFrog since them killing mpolo doesn't make any sense (it's pretty clear that Charlie is our SK now - "You are immune to any action she performs" makes that crystal clear).

I agree that a mass claim would be beneficial. Who do we have left?

1. jimbobmacdoodle
3. SDK
4. LaserGuy
7. Gopher of Pern
10. #HBC | YOLOSWAG
11. FrozenFlame
12. #HBC | Zyth

If Gopher is scum, Zyth must be scum. A third scummate could realistically be anyone, but YOLOSWAG might be most likely. The hints Zyth was dropping were fairly obvious in retrospect, and directed at YOLOSWAG in particular, so town YOLOSWAG getting led in by mafia is possible, but unlikely, especially with an SK running around. Very dangerous. Kinda wish Gopher had died last night - I wonder if my hammer is the reason he didn't (if I screwed up the kills by hammering early). That would be amusing.

So Gopher is likely to be town, but Zyth could be anything. Would Zyth drop those hints as mafia? Hard to say. He certainly would as SK, though getting semi-confirmed early might have been dangerous for him even then. FrozenFlame's reaction to the whole thing seemed pretty over the top. I could see Frozen and Zyth playing off YOLOSWAG if they were a team. BoomFrog's death might point towards that...

jimbob was the only one fighting against the Carlington lynch, and god damn that "Both of you seem so keen on not lynching Carlington. Why?" line looks so bad! I feel like a townie working up the courage to lynch the godfather here... Need to reread, but I don't have time today...

Haven't given any thought to LaserGuy in a while. He was feeling townie... was the first on Carlington's wagon, which looks okay... Tied a lot of players together with that vote. LaserGuy, what are you thinking at this point?



I suggest we do popcorn style for the mass claim. Someone claims first, then chooses who claims next after they claim. I don't trust Gopher enough to have him make the full list, but I'd be happy with him making the first choice for who leads us off. Everyone okay with that?
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
#HBC | YOLOSWAG
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed May 03, 2017 4:09 pm UTC

Frankly, I think SDK and jimbob should crossvote.

User avatar
#HBC | Zyth
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Wed May 03, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

Wouldn't mind a mass claim. Don't mind GoP making the choice for the first one either. I'm pretty confused at this game, all of my scum reads thus far have been wrong apparently.

User avatar
#HBC | Zyth
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Wed May 03, 2017 4:19 pm UTC

GoP is likely still alive because scum does not care for killing town atm; they want the SK out, which is why the mpolo kill.

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby SDK » Wed May 03, 2017 4:29 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Frankly, I think SDK and jimbob should crossvote.

To prove that one of us is scum? Sounds risky. You're that sure one of us is scum, but can't figure out which it is?
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
FrozenFlame
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:26 am UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby FrozenFlame » Wed May 03, 2017 4:42 pm UTC

SDK wrote:I'm assuming mpolo was the mafia kill, likely trying to kill the SK? Either they hit the SK and mpolo used his bodyguard, or they killed mpolo because they thought he was the SK. Either way, the SK kill must have been BoomFrog since them killing mpolo doesn't make any sense (it's pretty clear that Charlie is our SK now - "You are immune to any action she performs" makes that crystal clear).


This a great observation re: the flavor text. It also just straight up makes sense flavor wise; Charlie was the subject of presumably torturous experiments and is now on an unhinged killing rampage with her deadly pyrokinetic powers.

SDK wrote:I suggest we do popcorn style for the mass claim. Someone claims first, then chooses who claims next after they claim. I don't trust Gopher enough to have him make the full list, but I'd be happy with him making the first choice for who leads us off. Everyone okay with that?
I'm ok with this though it does run the risk of substantially undermining the utility of my full claim depending on who goes before/after me. I have information on two players that could potentially confirm or contradict their claims, but obviously if I claim before them they're going to adjust their fakeclaim to be consistent with what I have.

I'd prefer not to name the players that I have info on for obvious reasons but I'd much rather reveal who I have info on in order to secure my claim going after theirs, than claim before them. If people trust me obviously I'd rather go after my targets without revealing who they are first, which means I'd need to go near the end of the claim order, but I get that people probably don't trust me enough for that and would compromise by revealing who they are if necessary.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Frankly, I think SDK and jimbob should crossvote.


Dude wtf? This is insanely reckless. Why would we do something like that before massclaim and potentially throw the game? Plus, why crossvote? You get the same info if just one of them votes for the other. If they're both town and one votes the other, scum alphastrikes and wins. If its TvS, scum doesn't alpha strike and we're able to deduce that one of them is scum. If they crossvote you get the same results so I'm not sure whats so signifcant about cross voting. Either way, it's a horrible idea. Not a good look rn homie

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby SDK » Wed May 03, 2017 4:47 pm UTC

For what it's worth, I have my own reasons to believe FrozenFlame does actually have results, though I'm not sure that he's town. As we go through popcorn style, I guess people can just make the choice on believing it or not. I like popcorn for that since it gives some info on choices along the way (moreso if we get people stating their reasoning for choosing the next claimer as we go).
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4301
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 03, 2017 4:58 pm UTC

I'm thinking I'm a bit out of my depth :?

I'm a bit vexed about the hammer business. I didn't get to check back in to the game until late last night, and by that point the hammer was already long since down.

Mass claim is fine with me, and am okay with Gopher choosing who goes first.

I will have to spend some time rereading the thread and putting together a more detailed analysis. This night did not go as I had expected at all, so I'm a bit of a loss and will have to rethink a lot of what has happened.

User avatar
#HBC | YOLOSWAG
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed May 03, 2017 5:36 pm UTC

FrozenFlame wrote:Dude wtf? This is insanely reckless. Why would we do something like that before massclaim and potentially throw the game? Plus, why crossvote? You get the same info if just one of them votes for the other. If they're both town and one votes the other, scum alphastrikes and wins. If its TvS, scum doesn't alpha strike and we're able to deduce that one of them is scum. If they crossvote you get the same results so I'm not sure whats so signifcant about cross voting. Either way, it's a horrible idea. Not a good look rn homie
We'd do something like that to keep the focus on two slots and not allow claim shenanigans to district us.

Imo, jimbob and SDK are the likeliest slots to fool town as a whole. I'm willing to go all in on at least one of them being scum because I feel town has to do a 180 on its generally accepted town reads (both of them have been). I understand mass claim is the textbook play here, but I believe now's the time to YOLO it and bite the bullet.

Why did you spend so much time talking about my crossvote combo? If it doesn't make a difference, I see no reason to harp on it as much as you did.

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby SDK » Wed May 03, 2017 5:46 pm UTC

That doesn't make any sense. We've been terrible this game, but assuming that our town reads are scum is not the way forward. There are still seven of us and we need to correctly get the four that are not town. Looking at interactions, clearing a couple of us based on the claims, then diving back into this game to nail down the full team should be doable. Do you actually have a reason to suspect jimbob or me, or is it only because we're considered town like you said?
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
#HBC | YOLOSWAG
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed May 03, 2017 6:08 pm UTC

I haven't liked jimbob all game. You....I don't have some amazing case against you, I'm just wondering why you're still alive and you have looked worse as the game continues. I do feel there's at least 1 between you two and would rather prove it so town's forced to acknowledge it.

That said, nothing that you said there was wrong. I'm saying that I want to get town in focus by confirming 1 scum between two players. By voting each other, I am removing any wiggle room a potential scum between you guys have to escape the noose today assuming that doesn't throw the game, and I doubt it will.

At any rate, I'm limited access til Thursday. I'll be in and out but I don't think I'll have time for a reread til the weekend.

User avatar
#HBC | YOLOSWAG
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed May 03, 2017 6:34 pm UTC

@GoP

Have you gleaned anything about Zyth from your neighborhood with him? What's his thought processes been like? I'm wondering if there's any insight you may have into him from observing him in private.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed May 03, 2017 9:01 pm UTC

I'm not sure whether I buy SDK's claim to have accidentally caused hammer. He is usually a pretty thorough player, so not keeping an eye on where the lead vote is seems a bit dubious. Not enough to say that he is definitely scum yet, but still suspicious.

I do tentatively agree with SDK's subsequent comments re. mpolo's target being an SK, but I don't think is hard and fast. It's possible that it was deliberately phrased by Sabrar to prevent mpolo guessing his target's alignment.

I really don't like Yoloswag currently. He's using arguments against me that FMPOV can just as easily be applied to himself. Take for example his own voting record: D1 - Vote 1 on the LaserGuy wagon (no issues here), Vote 2 on dimochka (confirmed townie), Vote 3 on me (can't prove this, but also a townie vote), Vote 4 is back on dimochka. D2 - Vote 1 on me, Vote 2 on mpolo (confirmed indie), Vote 3 on Carlington (confirmed town), after his claim. He also threatened to vote Gopher had it not been for Zyth's confirmation of Gopher's alignment. So, of all his votes, the only ones that weren't on people who have been confirmed as non-scum were his very first pseudo-random vote on LaserGuy and his votes on me. Another example: Yoloswag pointed out the 3 out of 4 non-scum in my reads list. He hasn't posted an ordered scum list, but based on his D2 comments and voting pattern up to the point when Gopher claimed, I would guess that his scummiest reads were me, Carlington, mpolo, and GoP. So, 3 out of 4 confirmed non-scum (assuming we believe Zyth's claim), plus myself. Similarly, mid-way through D1, his scum pool was me, dimochka (Town), boomfrog (Town), GoP (probably Town), frozen (unknown) and Carlington (Town). So yeah, no better.

As others have already pointed out, Yoloswag's suggestion of SDK and I crossvoting is mad. If either of us is not mafia, then mafia quick-hammers the one who isn't mafia and game over, for all intents and purposes (given certain abilities, it might still be possible for the game to last, but I doubt it, and even then, I suspect it would come down to Mafia playing whack a mole with the SK). Let's at least get as much information as we can from claims before starting crazy gambits like that.

As I've stated in previous reads posts, I haven't particularly liked Yoloswag's play anyway, and now that I've looked back at these points, my impression of him has gotten worse. If it weren't for LYLO, I'd be voting for Yoloswag at this point.

For the record, I'm happy with GoP choosing first player.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
FrozenFlame
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:26 am UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby FrozenFlame » Wed May 03, 2017 9:14 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:We'd do something like that to keep the focus on two slots and not allow claim shenanigans to district us.

Imo, jimbob and SDK are the likeliest slots to fool town as a whole. I'm willing to go all in on at least one of them being scum because I feel town has to do a 180 on its generally accepted town reads (both of them have been). I understand mass claim is the textbook play here, but I believe now's the time to YOLO it and bite the bullet.


Like SDK said above, I don't agree with this at all. What could the claims possibly distract us from? We have zero scum flips to draw connections from, and clearly our scumdars have been way off this game. We're wandering around in the dark and not hitting anything, so I really don't understand what positive material a mass claim could distract us from. It's not like we have a good thing going here. What we've been doing hasn't been working, so I think the textbook play is EXACTLY what we need. I know its not your style, and YOLOing is definitely what you'd trend toward generally, but in this specific scenario I'd expect a townie you to show a little more restraint. I'm not saying your argument is necessarily being made in bad faith here but to be honest it just seems wildly inappropriate given the situation we're in. We really, really need something new to focus on right now and put everything we have on the table because our flow is what got us to this dire situation, so I'm not particularly confident it's going to get us out.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Why did you spend so much time talking about my crossvote combo? If it doesn't make a difference, I see no reason to harp on it as much as you did.


I'll admit this is a clever way to throw my own argument back in my face but I wouldn't say I was harping on it so much as I was being over thorough in my explanation of why cross voting was superfluous. It just stuck out to me as an impulsive and reckless suggestion, mostly by virtue of the fact that it risks an alpha strike. I'll admit my shock at you recommending that we throw out votes and risk an alpha strike certainly informed my response and resulted in my overdone engagement with why in particular cross voting was superfluous. It was my own kneejerk reaction to what I perceived as your impulsive suggestion. So yeah strictly logically speaking I could have just said cross vote is functionally equal to one voting for the other but your suggestion simply got a rise out of me given the situation we're in.

Anyway, seems to me that the general consensus thus far is that we should popcorn claim with GoP picking who starts. I'm fine with this as well. Can we get the ball rolling on this?

User avatar
#HBC | YOLOSWAG
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed May 03, 2017 10:10 pm UTC

FrozenFlame wrote:1. Like SDK said above, I don't agree with this at all. What could the claims possibly distract us from? We have zero scum flips to draw connections from, and clearly our scumdars have been way off this game. We're wandering around in the dark and not hitting anything, so I really don't understand what positive material a mass claim could distract us from. It's not like we have a good thing going here. What we've been doing hasn't been working, so I think the textbook play is EXACTLY what we need. I know its not your style, and YOLOing is definitely what you'd trend toward generally, but in this specific scenario I'd expect a townie you to show a little more restraint. I'm not saying your argument is necessarily being made in bad faith here but to be honest it just seems wildly inappropriate given the situation we're in. We really, really need something new to focus on right now and put everything we have on the table because our flow is what got us to this dire situation, so I'm not particularly confident it's going to get us out.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Why did you spend so much time talking about my crossvote combo? If it doesn't make a difference, I see no reason to harp on it as much as you did.


2. I'll admit this is a clever way to throw my own argument back in my face but I wouldn't say I was harping on it so much as I was being over thorough in my explanation of why cross voting was superfluous. It just stuck out to me as an impulsive and reckless suggestion, mostly by virtue of the fact that it risks an alpha strike. I'll admit my shock at you recommending that we throw out votes and risk an alpha strike certainly informed my response and resulted in my overdone engagement with why in particular cross voting was superfluous. It was my own kneejerk reaction to what I perceived as your impulsive suggestion. So yeah strictly logically speaking I could have just said cross vote is functionally equal to one voting for the other but your suggestion simply got a rise out of me given the situation we're in.

Anyway, seems to me that the general consensus thus far is that we should popcorn claim with GoP picking who starts. I'm fine with this as well. Can we get the ball rolling on this?
Look, this is what I'm saying in simplest terms.

1. I believe there is at least one scum between jimbob and SDK to the point I'd put the game on it. If we get them to vote each other, that FORCES town to lynch between them which is what I'm going for.

Massclaiming can help, but it's clear that YOU and others are going to use it as the PRIMARY reason to lynch/clear people. This opens the door to someone outside of jimbob/SDK being considered, when I think we have a good chance of finding scum by just getting them to vote each other.

tldr jimbob/SDK crossvote gives us a very obvious focus on the lynch and guarantees us scum because they CAN'T get out of it. All of our efforts can be put towards picking between them. The "we might let scum alpha vote us" talk that's going on in the thread is rather weak to me. It's LYLO and it's time to take a shot instead of letting fear run our decision-making processes.

I also want to note that you, jimbob, and SDK have all publicly opposed the crossvoting idea for similar reasons. I want you to know that if there is scum between those two, they hid behind YOU to help wiggle their way out of being put on the chopping block with no escape.

2. This is reasonable, gotcha.

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby SDK » Wed May 03, 2017 10:52 pm UTC

I understand what you're saying YOLOSWAG, but it's still dumb. Even if we assume that there's one scum between us and town doesn't immediately lose twenty dollars and my self respect, forcing us to lynch one or the other gives us 50/50 odds. With three town among seven players, a random lynch gives us better than that, so... yeah. Definitely not doing that. We're going to collect more information and just lynch scum instead. You said yourself that everything I said earlier makes sense.

Gopher, if I may suggest getting YOLOSWAG to claim first? He seems pretty hellbent on avoiding a mass claim.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
Gopher of Pern
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed May 03, 2017 10:53 pm UTC

Frankly, I think YOLO is right. I think that it's probably both jimbob and SDK who are scum.

If we are massclaiming, I'd like SDK to go first. If possible, I'd like Frozenflame to go last.

I do have some things to say about Zyth, but I want to leave it until after the claims.

jimbob, if at least one of you are scum, then the cross vote wont cause the game to end. Or did you mean 'neither'? Still, it is a bad plan at this stage.

No SDK, I'd like YOLO early, but after your hammer shenanigans, I'd like you to go first.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

User avatar
#HBC | YOLOSWAG
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Thu May 04, 2017 12:02 am UTC

SDK wrote:I understand what you're saying YOLOSWAG, but it's still dumb. Even if we assume that there's one scum between us and town doesn't immediately lose twenty dollars and my self respect, forcing us to lynch one or the other gives us 50/50 odds. With three town among seven players, a random lynch gives us better than that, so... yeah. Definitely not doing that. We're going to collect more information and just lynch scum instead. You said yourself that everything I said earlier makes sense.

Gopher, if I may suggest getting YOLOSWAG to claim first? He seems pretty hellbent on avoiding a mass claim.
Come now, the importance behind placing the lynch between you and jimbob is that you two have been ignored for damn near the entire game. It would force Town to reevaluate their read(s) in a way that should end up being productive because it's placing an onus on them to 180 on their previous thoughts. Your robotic use of numbers here without any thought as to how town could benefit from looking between you guys concerns me. I KNOW at least one scum will hide behind the textbook play in this scenario because it gives them the upper hand from a logical point of view. Besides, why would I be afraid of a mass claim? Considering I'm the only one who's suggested something besides a massclaim, we know that scum themselves have agreed to it as well. While I know we're going to end up doing it anyway, the quickness with which the thread has gone to a massclaim has me thinking it's possible scum are ready for it. I'd have expected more resistance at this point, and I also know that scum are going to use it to absolve themselves of scumhunting in favor of claim shenanigans.

Who do you believe is the team, anyway? I assume you believe GoP is town, and you've resisted pushes against jimbob at every corner. That leaves me, Zyth, frozen, and laserguy. Who would you lynch between frozen and Zyth were you forced to choose and why?

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby SDK » Thu May 04, 2017 12:10 am UTC

That's fine. I'll just popcorn to YOLO.

I'm Red from Shawshank Redemption. I was in jail, now I'm not, something about being transported to a deserted world to protect something called the 'Beam', which I instinctually know to be a good thing (I'm assuming that's one of the beams that supports the Dark Tower, but that's not in my PM). I'm the type to make connections easily and find things out quickly based on what other people need.

I am a Follower. Each night I may target another player to find out what kind of ability s/he used (one of killing, protective, investigative or other). However, I continually need to expand my network, so I can't target the same player on consecutive nights.

I used that ability on FrozenFlame Night 1. He used an investigative ability.

Something else happened Night 1. I got an item, described as my "heart's desire", a pair of sun glasses with X-ray vision capabilities. They gave me a 1-shot cop. So I used those Night 2 instead of my Follower ability. After the events of Day 2, I wanted to target Zyth, but because I screwed up the hammer I wasn't able to change my target from YOLOSWAG. It didn't matter anyway because my ability failed, losing me the glasses in the process. I'm not sure if that's because I was roleblocked, or because YOLOSWAG was untargetable or something, but there you go.


Popcorn to YOLOSWAG for previously stated reasons.

PEDIT: You, FrozenFlame, jimbob and Zyth would be my pick for the four at the moment, probably in that order. I need to reread LaserGuy too though, and decide if Gopher of Pern could be scum (based on interactions with Zyth primarily).

If I had a gun that I was forced to use this second I'd shoot Frozen over Zyth. Zyth might be SK, but I'm reasonably sure he's not mafia. I have trouble conceiving of a mafia team that doesn't include Frozen, but I need to put in the work to prove it.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu May 04, 2017 7:57 am UTC

I realise that I completely failed at maths whilst trying to figure out the cross-voting scenario. For some reason I saw the case with one town and one scum as roughly "town will have a vote on them, which means three scum can join to hammer" which is obviously not the case because one of those three is already voting for the townie. I'm less opposed to it than I was, especially as I have an issue with SDK's claim, which I'll explain when I claim.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
#HBC | Zyth
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Thu May 04, 2017 9:47 am UTC

SDK wrote:PEDIT: You, FrozenFlame, jimbob and Zyth would be my pick for the four at the moment, probably in that order. I need to reread LaserGuy too though, and decide if Gopher of Pern could be scum (based on interactions with Zyth primarily).

If I had a gun that I was forced to use this second I'd shoot Frozen over Zyth. Zyth might be SK, but I'm reasonably sure he's not mafia. I have trouble conceiving of a mafia team that doesn't include Frozen, but I need to put in the work to prove it.

Why would you have doubts that GoP is town, when you think it unlikely that I'm mafia? As town/SK, what reason would I have to lie about GoP being confirmed town?

User avatar
#HBC | YOLOSWAG
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Thu May 04, 2017 11:49 am UTC

I'm Johnny Marinville, a commuter. I've used my ability every night.

I choose jimbob.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu May 04, 2017 12:47 pm UTC

I am Ben Hascom from It. I am an Inventor who can create a set of 1-shot items, one each night, and once only per item, that I give to individuals. Specifically, I can create x-ray sunglasses that reveal the true nature of their target (cop), a bottle of mysterious pills (doctor), a special cloak, similar to chameleon-skin (bulletproof), and a battery-operated security camera (watcher). I gave SDK the sunglasses N1 and BoomFrog the cloak N2. Apparently the cloak didn't come into effect until after kills were resolved.

My concern with SDK is that he only claimed to use one action N2. My role PM explicitly says that the items can be used simultaneously with any abilities my target may have, so either he is lying about his N2 action, or he is unable to read PMs received from the mod properly. I doubt the latter, and it builds on my earlier concern, re. last night's hammer.

I choose Zyth next.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
#HBC | Zyth
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Thu May 04, 2017 1:22 pm UTC

I'm Charile McGee, a one shot vig. I didn't do anything N1, GoP approached me with his ability and we are now in a neighbourhood, as stated previously, where he is confirmed town to me. N2 I shot mpolo, after lots of debating with myself, over shooting jimbob who close to the end of D2, I felt had pretty high chance to be scum. I finally decided to shoot mpolo as I was convinced that it'd be the better choice due to GoP telling me in one of his posts in our private chat "you won't hit town at least". With mpolo's flip, I now know that my shot failed on him, which means mafia killed him, or they attempted to kill me, while he used his Guardian Angel ability. I'm pretty sure the SK killed boomfrog, as I don't see why the SK would have any reason to kill mpolo. The SK might have had a scum read on boomfrog, as due to the numbers, he likely needs mafia to be gone for him to win.

I choose laserguy next.

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby SDK » Thu May 04, 2017 4:06 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:My concern with SDK is that he only claimed to use one action N2. My role PM explicitly says that the items can be used simultaneously with any abilities my target may have, so either he is lying about his N2 action, or he is unable to read PMs received from the mod properly. I doubt the latter, and it builds on my earlier concern, re. last night's hammer.

I rechecked the PM from Sabrar and can confirm that I'm an idiot. It could have been clearer, but it definitely does state that I can use the glasses alongside my own abilities. I screwed up Day 2 pretty good, didn't I?

More later.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby SDK » Thu May 04, 2017 4:08 pm UTC

#HBC | Zyth wrote:I'm Charile McGee, a one shot vig. I didn't do anything N1, GoP approached me with his ability and we are now in a neighbourhood, as stated previously, where he is confirmed town to me. N2 I shot mpolo, after lots of debating with myself, over shooting jimbob who close to the end of D2, I felt had pretty high chance to be scum. I finally decided to shoot mpolo as I was convinced that it'd be the better choice due to GoP telling me in one of his posts in our private chat "you won't hit town at least". With mpolo's flip, I now know that my shot failed on him, which means mafia killed him, or they attempted to kill me, while he used his Guardian Angel ability. I'm pretty sure the SK killed boomfrog, as I don't see why the SK would have any reason to kill mpolo. The SK might have had a scum read on boomfrog, as due to the numbers, he likely needs mafia to be gone for him to win.

I choose laserguy next.

Wait, I'm confused. Why would you choose to shoot your own father? Did you not check the wiki to find out that you were obviously mpolo's ward?
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
#HBC | Zyth
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Thu May 04, 2017 4:12 pm UTC

SDK wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:I'm Charile McGee, a one shot vig. I didn't do anything N1, GoP approached me with his ability and we are now in a neighbourhood, as stated previously, where he is confirmed town to me. N2 I shot mpolo, after lots of debating with myself, over shooting jimbob who close to the end of D2, I felt had pretty high chance to be scum. I finally decided to shoot mpolo as I was convinced that it'd be the better choice due to GoP telling me in one of his posts in our private chat "you won't hit town at least". With mpolo's flip, I now know that my shot failed on him, which means mafia killed him, or they attempted to kill me, while he used his Guardian Angel ability. I'm pretty sure the SK killed boomfrog, as I don't see why the SK would have any reason to kill mpolo. The SK might have had a scum read on boomfrog, as due to the numbers, he likely needs mafia to be gone for him to win.

I choose laserguy next.

Wait, I'm confused. Why would you choose to shoot your own father? Did you not check the wiki to find out that you were obviously mpolo's ward?

No, I didn't. I have 0 flavor knowledge and I also did 0 research on the flavor, I tend to take flavor with a pinch of salt as they tend to not matter much and are just there for well, flavor. I shot mpolo to ensure that he wasn't the SK and because I knew I was guaranteed to hit a non town. Didn't matter in the end since he was immune to my shot, guess I'm practically a VT this game >_>

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby SDK » Thu May 04, 2017 7:26 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:If we are massclaiming, I'd like SDK to go first. If possible, I'd like Frozenflame to go last.

Why would you like Frozen to go last? Do you think he's town?

#HBC | Zyth wrote:
SDK wrote:PEDIT: You, FrozenFlame, jimbob and Zyth would be my pick for the four at the moment, probably in that order. I need to reread LaserGuy too though, and decide if Gopher of Pern could be scum (based on interactions with Zyth primarily).

If I had a gun that I was forced to use this second I'd shoot Frozen over Zyth. Zyth might be SK, but I'm reasonably sure he's not mafia. I have trouble conceiving of a mafia team that doesn't include Frozen, but I need to put in the work to prove it.

Why would you have doubts that GoP is town, when you think it unlikely that I'm mafia? As town/SK, what reason would I have to lie about GoP being confirmed town?

You wouldn't lie in that case. It's unlikely you're mafia, but certainly possible. If you are mafia, there's a good chance GoP is too, so... We're in bad enough shape right now that I'm not leaving any stone unturned.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:I'm Johnny Marinville, a commuter. I've used my ability every night.

Most commuters can only commute every second night, or a certain number of times. Are you unlimited in your commutes?
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4301
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby LaserGuy » Thu May 04, 2017 8:49 pm UTC

Sorry for being slow to get back to you guys. I'm traveling today through next week so I won't be able to post very often. I'm Father Callahan from Salem's Lot and the Dark Tower. I have a holy crucifix that I can use to stun enemies. I am a standard roleblocker except I can't target the same person on consecutive nights. N1 I targeted BoomFrog. N2, I targeted Gopher.

Don't listen to YOLOSWAG. He's scum. I'll prove it after the claims are done.

Who is left for popcorn? Gopher, how about you go next.

User avatar
jimbobmacdoodle
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 pm UTC
Location: NP 811/The Present

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu May 04, 2017 9:20 pm UTC

Re, who's left - FrozenFlame plus Gopher of Pern still have to claim.

@LaserGuy, why did you choose those targets. In particular, why did you block a (nearly) confirmed townie N2?
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Image

User avatar
Gopher of Pern
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu May 04, 2017 9:39 pm UTC

You all already know my claim.

I am Mother Abigail, and I am a mason recruiter, and when I recruit someone, they get a confirmation that I am town. I do not get any confirmation on their abilities.

N1 I targeted Zyth, it was a toss up between them and plytho as two of my towniest reads at the time.

Yes, I believe Frozenflame is townier than you SDK.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: The Dark Tower - Day 3 - Misunderstood

Postby SDK » Thu May 04, 2017 10:25 pm UTC

I didn't ask if you thought he was townier than me, just whether or not he was town. Who is the scum team, in your opinion?
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests