Shakespeare Mafia III - Curtain Call

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

BoomFrog

Re: Shakespeare Mafia III - Act II is going to need some adjustments

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 24, 2017 5:22 am UTC

mpolo wrote:I see three or four calls for extension, and certainly there were a lot of people away over the weekend. Is there consensus?

With SDK being Central to a lot of discussion but absent the majority of the game day I think a 24 hours to 48 Hours extension would be good for the game.

Also with less than 24 hours to go, I realize Sir Gabriel has done absolutely nothing.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 24, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

SDK wrote:
mpolo wrote:I see three or four calls for extension, and certainly there were a lot of people away over the weekend. Is there consensus?

Yes please.

I've been working on a catchup post all day, but keep getting pulled away before finishing it off. I wanted to at least have that much posted today, but I have another meeting to go to now, so that might not happen.

Can you post what you partially have? It's less than 24 hours to deadline after already extending. At this point it feels like you are avoiding posting for fear of making a mistake. Why not post bits and pieces as you think of them?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 24, 2017 4:22 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:FOS Madge
Bard and bessie for their obviously scummy posts I quoted, though Bard in particular has been acting like scum for a while now that I think about it.

Here's who you don't lynch: GoP, LaserGuy, BoomFrog, dimochka, SDK, plytho, SirG in order of innocence in my opinion.

Why would you say to lynch Bessie but not SDK? Have you paid any attention to the thread at all? SDK stands by his claim that Bessie is almost certainly town. Do you think SDK is making a mistake but is still town?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 25, 2017 3:59 am UTC

SDK wrote: though you didn't answer my other questions. There have been a few along the way that you've ignored.

I don't recall ignoring any of your questions in purpose. The only question I've intentionally ignored are question about why I find some certain people scummy or townie. Between RL pressure and spending too much time on my posting restriction I've probably ignored more questions then I intended to. Do you mind repeating the questions you feel I didn't answer?

The one thing I'm intentionally not answering is about why there are three people in the "secret townie club".

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 25, 2017 5:47 am UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote: I'm still not convinved about Boomfrog. Still misses things, and I think they are going after YOLO for the wrong reasons. They haven't responded to reasons why YOLO might be guild-scum as opposed to ghost-scum, and this in particular:
BoomFrog wrote:
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:FOS Madge
Bard and bessie for their obviously scummy posts I quoted, though Bard in particular has been acting like scum for a while now that I think about it.

Here's who you don't lynch: GoP, LaserGuy, BoomFrog, dimochka, SDK, plytho, SirG in order of innocence in my opinion.

Why would you say to lynch Bessie but not SDK? Have you paid any attention to the thread at all? SDK stands by his claim that Bessie is almost certainly town. Do you think SDK is making a mistake but is still town?

I had already pointed out in thread that SDK had pulled back a bit on the confirmation, so there was wiggle room there (I think it's cleared up now). I feel like this is pot calling the kettle black, as Boomfrog is not paying attention to some things.
At the time SDK has said he was still fairly certain Bessie was town. He's back peddled more since then which really pings me, but that's a separate topic. At the time and really even now I think it's ridiculous to consider lynching Bessie before SDK.

Unfortunately, I agree with you that I voted YOLO for the wrong reasons. I was going for one of those classic BoomFrog style, pick wagon to push and see if I can catch any scum jumping on. I agree YOLO's probably not ghost faction, but it really doesn't make sense for him to make that mistake as guild mafia either. If he's in a 3-man and now two-man mafia he's got to be well aware that there is a second faction. If he was indy he would have claimed indy. It's possible he is ghost SK and forgot that people were still assuming a second faction instead of SK. Okay, I'm going to try and channel YOLOness here:

town!YOLO: Shakespeare is fun, thee thou forthwith! blah blah blah, swag vote for pressure. Wow dude's crumbling. SDK presents madge, sounds ligit, but I like my gut read better. Dude's scum. D2, blah blah too much flavor. Shakespear's confusing. Lynch flipped scum lets lynch the off-wagoners. Oh right there's two scum teams, whatever. Blah blah, I'm not reading all that. OH shit I'm on the block, YOLO mode activated.

Guild!YOLO: Shakespeare is fun, thee thou forthwith! ugg, I'm mates with plytho and dethstalker, w/e I can win this solo. SWAG vote stalker, put some distance between us. Wow, dude's crumbling, w/e better just let it ride. SDK proposes madge, no I can't lose my credit here. Dude just roll over and die for me. Night chat: plytho just do what your doing we got this. Kill sabrar because they'll focus JimBob. D2 alright, JimBob's dead, go after the off-wagon. Oh right, the other scum team.

Okay yeah, that second scenario doesn't make sense. Guild YOLO would have noticed the second kill in flavor if he was killing sabrar to push the jimbob angle. YOLO clearly didn't read the D2 start flavor. Okay, actually, I just convinced myself back. YOLO didn't read the D2 start flavor but did know that dethstalker was scum. He was planning his reaction during the night and just posted that without wading through the shakespear flavor. I don't know why he killed Sabrar but his brain fart on the second scum team makes sense now.

Let it ride. Goodnight, it's past my bedtime, again.

If YOLO is town and I'm dead lynch SDK :wink:
If YOLO is scum then his mate(s) are among plytho, SirGabreal and Dimochka but probably not dim because dim is probably town.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 25, 2017 3:22 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:And why do you think the roleblocker would be on the same team as the person with roleblock immunity?

@BoomFrog, same question.

Good morning. Catching up but I'll reply to this before I finish reading the rest. RB is likely to be a duplicated role. Unless madge is lying we have another RBer. Also powers were assigned randomly which people seem to be forgetting. Unlike Sabrar I believe YOLO is actually a RBer, he was too eager to claim he could prove it.

@GoP: You raise an interesting point. When I have more time I'll lay out the logic carefully.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 25, 2017 5:02 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:town!YOLO: Shakespeare is fun, thee thou forthwith! blah blah blah, swag vote for pressure. Wow dude's crumbling. SDK presents madge, sounds ligit, but I like my gut read better. Dude's scum. D2, blah blah too much flavor. Shakespear's confusing. Lynch flipped scum lets lynch the off-wagoners. Oh right there's two scum teams, whatever. Blah blah, I'm not reading all that. OH shit I'm on the block, YOLO mode activated.

Guild!YOLO: Shakespeare is fun, thee thou forthwith! ugg, I'm mates with plytho and dethstalker, w/e I can win this solo. SWAG vote stalker, put some distance between us. Wow, dude's crumbling, w/e better just let it ride. SDK proposes madge, no I can't lose my credit here. Dude just roll over and die for me. Night chat: plytho just do what your doing we got this. Kill sabrar because they'll focus JimBob. D2 alright, JimBob's dead, go after the off-wagon. Oh right, the other scum team.

Okay yeah, that second scenario doesn't make sense. Guild YOLO would have noticed the second kill in flavor if he was killing sabrar to push the jimbob angle. YOLO clearly didn't read the D2 start flavor. Okay, actually, I just convinced myself back. YOLO didn't read the D2 start flavor but did know that dethstalker was scum. He was planning his reaction during the night and just posted that without wading through the shakespear flavor. I don't know why he killed Sabrar but his brain fart on the second scum team makes sense now.

I literally have no clue how you reached those conclusions. Can someone explain? I think it aligns with what I'm thinking, but I just don't see how BF got there.
I'm not sure which part you don't get but I would summarize that stream of consciousness as: The only way I can imagine YOLO forgetting there are two scum teams is if he didn't read opening flavor. If he didn't read flavor but did know that Dethstalker was scum then he must be stalkers buddy.

@YOLO: No one's going to hammer. SDK already voted :P

BoomFrog

Re: Shakespeare Mafia III - Act I opens

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 25, 2017 6:43 pm UTC

SDK wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:SDK has been extremely unhelpful so close to deadline

What would you like me to do that I haven't been doing?
I thought I answered this, although maybe not since by the time I read it night had fallen. I expected you to have gone into SDK stage 2 and build a case for why you thought someone was scummy. As I recall right after you posted this you also did state your case against Madge. Although I disagreed with it, it was what I had been expecting you to do earlier.

SDK wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:Note in case of my death: If DethStalker is non-mafia then lynch SDK. If SDK is mafia take a hard look at Yoloswag.
BoomFrog wrote:Also, if DethStalker is non-mafia then JimBob is also probably non-mafia.

Why? I can see the connection between me and YOLOSWAG, but I don't see the connection between DethStalker and me or between DethStalker and jimbob.

What does DethStalker flipping mafia tell us? I mean, I'm not holding out much hope that he is either, but surely you've considered that as an option, townie as you are.

If DethStalker were town then you went after two different townies D1 (counting madge who I think is townie). That plus my other pings and my townie reads on others puts you as scummy in that scenario.

JimBob defended DethStalker pretty strongly, I would feel that scum!JimBob would have not argued against lynching a townie, especially not so strongly for fear of making a connection. Some scum players would have, but my metaread of scum!JimBob is that he would not.

If Dethstalker flipped town I expected you to not be his scum buddy and me to not be killed. I did put that in my prose-bomb to you.

SDK wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:The proclaimed master SDK,
So astut, and sharp of wit,
To err so​ frequently begs suspicion
Is it malice or mere ignorance

To what errors do you refer?

Your case against me at the end of D1 got basically every assessment of my motivations wrong. And you (I'm pretty sure) were wrong about Madge. Basically everything important that you'd weighed in on at that point except that first post about Dethstalker being scum. If YOLO flips town you've still made a lot of mistakes (and my flip would your D1 assessment of me was wrong), hence the dying wish to see you hung.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 25, 2017 6:48 pm UTC

SDK wrote:
plytho wrote:I'm thinking there's no way town would behave any way close to that as town would be more open to trust people and take their advice, while you are saying there is no way scum could behave like that because they need to blend in. I guess I see where you are coming from now.

You've never been mafia before. In many ways it's actually way easier to trust people as mafia - you know who your team is and you know who is town.

By the way, why did you say this?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu May 25, 2017 6:50 pm UTC

Since deadline is coming soon. If YOLO is town and SDK is scum I think plytho is likely his buddy. This current plan is a method to look like he's putting pressure on plytho without actually any danger of a lynch since plytho is "cleared" if YOLO flips town. I'd change my vote to plytho if we weren't literally minutes from deadline.

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Fri May 12, 2017 7:50 pm UTC

so do we have to confirm?

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Fri May 12, 2017 7:57 pm UTC

(ok, but I guess I have I have to roleplay???)

Thou, I shall bow, to all thy characters before me.

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Fri May 12, 2017 10:33 pm UTC

(Im character)
Thou, a noble, hated. Thou? Shall thy?

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Sat May 13, 2017 8:07 pm UTC

Thou, shall I say? Questions? Thy, hated, is one of all. Hated, hated I say!

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Sat May 13, 2017 8:08 pm UTC

(I'm going to get a PFP later going to post farm for a bit)

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Sat May 13, 2017 8:17 pm UTC

@#HBC(dash)yoloswag

TO simply believe? No! Thy knowledge to be, or not to be, to think or not to think; is must a false hoax!

A hoax I say!

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Sat May 13, 2017 8:20 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
plytho wrote:But if there are stronger scum reads we should lynch them.
True, that's why I'm just open to the possibility rather than snapvoting him tomorrow and why I want others' opinion on the matter.
Personally I think this 'ability' creates an imbalance in the game and would not include it without serious consideration but that's what we have to live with and we need to talk about the consequences.

@YOLOSWAG: thanks for the serious reply.

Thy vote? Thy understood, not a bit, shall thy?

Balance: Of good and evil;of ying and yang; isn't balance. Thee, being hated, for a "snapvote"? Thee, just a fellow noble; shall thy?

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Sat May 13, 2017 8:28 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:@DethStalker: I apologize but I'm unable to decipher your meaning. Please speak in plain terms so that I may answer your question (if you had any).

Decipher? Thy mean if'nt simple; all thy; a misunderstand.

TDLR;
(That would be Krul [VGF])

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Sun May 14, 2017 10:33 pm UTC

bessie wrote:@DethStalker, jimbobmacdoodle is defending you. What is your opinion of jimbobmacdoodle? Do you think he is town?

Please answer in plain English, with no role playing and no Shakespeare quotes. I want no ambiguity your response.

Plain English: I can scumread. I just can't. Because when I scumread and get it right, I usually fail to scumread others.
I mean IDK. And also people I'm just a small misunderstood newb at this.

RPing: Thou, scumread? To scumtell; thee, thy talent is disastrous; to see; good sirs, @Jimbobmacdoodle (and others), thee, simply a noble, doesn't have talent for such. Shall the sky be the ground; and shall he ground be the sky, is one, that I may cause.

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Mon May 15, 2017 9:27 pm UTC

I mean I am trying to be more active someone post all the questions that need answers plx.

I dont have enough time to do shakesperian-ish ill do it later.

BRB on Tuesday

DethStalker

Postby DethStalker » Wed May 17, 2017 12:06 am UTC

um.. I have played mafia the real life one but I suck at It I played it a couple times.

Thee, playing, heinous, playing mafia; not extraordinare; just plain.

DGames | Bard

Re: Shakespeare Mafia III (pregame)

Postby DGames | Bard » Thu May 11, 2017 3:38 pm UTC

Confirming!

Monsieur Laser Guy, King of France?! Oui oui, you did have a...je ne sais quois about you. Anyway, to address your question:

I am a gentleman and a scholar, and I hail from the lands of DGamesia (colloquially known as Decisive Games of Smashboards). My usual tag is just "Bard" or "Bardull," which coincides with my last name as well as my appreciation for written and spoken verbiage (if it tickles your fancy to phrase it that way).

A pleasure to meet you and everyone else on this fine Thursday excursion!

DGames | Bard

Re: Shakespeare Mafia III (pregame)

Postby DGames | Bard » Thu May 11, 2017 8:06 pm UTC

DGames | Bard wrote:Confirming!

Monsieur Laser Guy, King of France?! Oui oui, you did have a...je ne sais quois about you. Anyway, to address your question:

I am a gentleman and a scholar, and I hail from the lands of DGamesia (colloquially known as Decisive Games of Smashboards). My usual tag is just "Bard" or "Bardull," which coincides with my last name as well as my appreciation for written and spoken verbiage (if it tickles your fancy to phrase it that way).

A pleasure to meet you and everyone else on this fine Thursday excursion!

Just making a note here that my confirmation post was approved after game start since I still hadn't gotten my 5 new user posts in yet.

*ahem*

Now, where were we in this state of affairs?

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Vote Bard

My eyes hath seen two members of our production citing a "ninja preview" of sorts. While I appreciate their diligence in not speaking out of turn, I have hope that we reach a point where there is no risk of us interrupting each other. This play deserves nothing but the best and I shall ensure only the best is presented for our audience.

I do believe I have acted with Bard in several plays before this one in my homeland. Hello good sir, pleasant to see you again.

My word! It has been ages since I had seen you last. You've grown a bit. How art thou?

Wait, wait, wait, this is all wrong, good fellow! You're trying to off me with a vote! Is that any way to treat an old friend of the morrow? Come now! Although you will have to thank the owners of the fabulous XKCD building for barring limitations on newly versed actors of a certain accord, hence "ninja previews." I can't speak for my other brother in new arms Dethstalker, of course.

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Thu May 11, 2017 8:12 pm UTC

In any event, something rubs me the wrong way about the bessie confirmation, as well as the votes at the beginning of the day phase! Forgive me, as I am new here, and so I am still ascertaining the qualities of this stage; where art thy proof of Bessie's innocence? And, can we assume that there are at least 2 forms of vote manipulation at play?

If the few fine individuals of this act that are implying that Bessie is Town based on evidence that Bessie is being voted for at day start by aforementioned nefarious forces, isn't it possible that a scum aligned role targeted another scum aligned role? The flavor seems to imply that there may be two scum factions, but I'm not sure how frequently this sort of thing transpires. Perhaps a more seasoned veteran can offer their wisdom on this matter.

Flavor and game mechanics aside, I also would like to address this good fellow!

dimochka wrote:This is ridiculous. Why are we talking about those newbie actors whose experience probably includes their 5th grade Aladdin play. Really, we should be talking about me here. Now that I've confirmed my attendance, I expect everyone to pay attention to my graceful, award-worthy performance. Let's not forget who the real star here is.

Edit: Ah, we're starting practice. Well in that case, let's make sure we realize that none of you matter one bit.

Vote dimochka

Dimochka, I am curious; as a gentleman of a foreign land, I am unfamiliar with this kind of play in the beginning of the game! Pray tell, why are you opting to off yourself in the face of fair amounts of content? I am most curious of your intentions and would like to know what you seek to achieve with this approach to our grand stage of Shakespearean lore!

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Fri May 12, 2017 3:18 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
DGames | Bard wrote:If the few fine individuals of this act that are implying that Bessie is Town based on evidence that Bessie is being voted for at day start by aforementioned nefarious forces,
You're reading the votals wrong, convention on this forum is to put the player who is voted for at the beginning and list the votees after (see any previous game as example). In short bessie is not being voted for, she apparently has an automatic vote on Gopher of Pern.
DGames | Bard wrote:The flavor seems to imply that there may be two scum factions, but I'm not sure how frequently this sort of thing transpires.
Rarely, I've only seen it once in my 1.5 years here and that was a game with 26 players.

In that case, I am bamboozled by the current state of affairs. It seems though that a public ability that sticks out as much of a sore thumb as Bessie's seems almost unfair for a scum role, but I'll let Bessie's play speak for itself.

dimochka wrote:I have just perused the rules and found an egregious error within them. Nowhere does it mention my name and participation in this play. I shall have a talk with the director about this :evil:

DGames | Bard wrote:
dimochka wrote:This is ridiculous. Why are we talking about those newbie actors whose experience probably includes their 5th grade Aladdin play. Really, we should be talking about me here. Now that I've confirmed my attendance, I expect everyone to pay attention to my graceful, award-worthy performance. Let's not forget who the real star here is.

Edit: Ah, we're starting practice. Well in that case, let's make sure we realize that none of you matter one bit.

Vote dimochka

Dimochka, I am curious; as a gentleman of a foreign land, I am unfamiliar with this kind of play in the beginning of the game! Pray tell, why are you opting to off yourself in the face of fair amounts of content? I am most curious of your intentions and would like to know what you seek to achieve with this approach to our grand stage of Shakespearean lore!

Ah, but you misunderstand. Art requires sacrifice. As long as I am central to the success of this play... and really every part of it, I will have achieved my life's goal. If one is simply surviving, he is not living.

I also have noticed that there are those here who aim to see this play fail. Fear not, they shall not succeed. And it does seem we are dealing with more than one adversary. If flavor is to be trusted, there may be a group whose powers are likely supernatural, and another who's methods are more common.

Once I am done looking at myself in the mirror (don't hold your breath), I plan to question the lot of you as to your raison d'être and nefarious plans to destroy what shall be my best performance yet.

WELL.

I am not sure how to respond to this. You do you, good fellow. You do you. I'll be peering over the fence yonder to marvel at this spectacle of a performance.

SirGabriel wrote:
Gopher of Pern wrote:I think it would be a good idea if anyone who knows their own abilities to change votes, should declare them early, so town can compensate for them.

That sounds like a terrible idea. That would basically be telling scum who will be most dangerous to them in endgame. A stitch in time saves nine.

Also, I think I dropped my wallet, has anyone seen it?

I agree with this, and find it rather odd that one of our dear kings would suggest outing a potential ally, ultimately causing them to face a bitter end from the rapscallions of the night.

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Sat May 13, 2017 5:44 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
DGames | Bard wrote:It seems though that a public ability that sticks out as much of a sore thumb as Bessie's seems almost unfair for a scum role,
Please elaborate. What do you think bessie's ability is and why is it unfair to be given to scum?

Well, considering the nature of Bessie's vote ability (unless I'm completely misinterpreting this), which seems to be that they can vote prior to the day starting (among perhaps more qualities, but I am not here to phish), they must reveal themselves in order to use the ability (or perhaps its by force, I can't say for certain). Of course, attention and scrutiny will immediately be brought to their slot as a result, which in my opinion is not something a scum-aligned slot would want (it also makes them potentially dangerous for an end-game situation if they are not trusted). When you compare this to the other vote manipulation mechanic at play, to my understanding, whoever is responsible for that vote is not in a position to be scrutinized because their name has yet to be revealed to us.

SDK wrote:Welcome to the game, Bard. The proof of bessie's innocence lies in my role PM, though I will give no further details on that for the moment. Where did you get the idea that people were calling her town based on the votes in the beginning

Thanks for having me, ol' chap! I won't pry into role pms and the like, it's all smoke and mirrors in the face of hard and true mafia.

Although, I am curious, now that I think about it. Why did you confirm Bessie as town via role pm right out the gate? While I understand that we all have different approaches for different reasons, you have painted a bigger target on Bessie's head going into this coming night phase (confirmed town via your role pm and has a vote ability!)

Anyway, basically, I misinterpreted the 'votals' (I was unfamiliar with general lingo of this forum as well as how vote counts, or votals, are structured). I thought perhaps people assumed Bessie was Town because she was being voted for prior to day start (didn't really understand why people were assuming she was Town right away so I tried to put 2 and 2 together), but in fact Bessie was the one voting for someone else prior to day start. Just a misinterpretation of the facts; I am now properly acquainted with the structure of the voting format.

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Sat May 13, 2017 5:57 pm UTC

Blargh, trying to play catch-up on a phone has temporarily caused my heart to sink, but I will not allow my brothers and sisters in arms to face this evil alone! Give me a moment to more collectively involve myself in this endeavor.

Additionally, I work long hours on weekends (unfortunately) so I will not be as active on the weekends, but will catch up asap!

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Sat May 13, 2017 6:28 pm UTC

Ok, I am mostly caught up. It seems people are already addressing SDK's claim more heartily...should have done a complete read before posting! Still, I agree with others that SDK's approach is an oddity.

@Bessie - Greetings! I like the content being produced in this game so far, it reminds me of DGames. Lots of smart people here catching on to things quick while turning over all the stones. If time allows, I will give another game a shot!

Anywho, I agree that Dethstalker really needs to produce significantly more content despite claiming being "hated" (I assume he means that he forever takes once less vote to lynch). I don't think it's a good idea to jump to conclusions about his alignment just yet and feel we still have time to discuss the finer details of his slot. If he continues this path, he is certainly a liability. I do agree with Plytho and Jim regarding Sabrar's motion to kill off dethstalker on policy.

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Tue May 16, 2017 4:06 am UTC

Hey guys, sorry, I've been a busy bee. I finally got back on not too long ago to check out the thread, let it sink in for a bit while eating a home-made steak burrito (yum), and now I'm all ready.

I have definitely been playing a little safe as I am new to the general populace here; I don't want to step on the toes of lions in my newness, which was a mistake I made when I first came into DGames. However, since I have been asked, I will begin to jump into the nitty gritty of things with a fuller analysis and a direction to move forward in. Time to get our hands dirty, shall we?

My opinion on Dethstalker is that he is certainly new to mafia. While this normally doesn't have a huge bearing on things (new players are always good for the game), I would not be opposed to his lynch today considering what appears to be a harsh barrier of communication between him and the rest of the roster, as well as being a generally empty slot with a lack of fruitful content. So far, I can't really make heads or tails of his approach and what it means in terms of connections to the rest of the roster. Additionally, while it's not a generally great idea to lynch anyone on policy, he is potentially a time bomb if he is Town.

My opinion on Dethstalker can change if he begins to communicate more appropriately and start givings out reads on people he believes to be evil. Unless this happens, I'm afraid he may have to be the de facto lynch. Hopefully he answers questions addressed to him in a timely manner!

bessie wrote:
DGames | Bard wrote:Forgive me, as I am new here, and so I am still ascertaining the qualities of this stage; where art thy proof of Bessie's innocence?
Wine warning. Tis a jest at my expense, for they refer to my infamous townie meta. I’m always town. I’ve played not scum for well over a year. I’ve been playing mafia for about three and a half years, on this stage only, and I played for about fourteen months before I was mafia. Methinks I’ve been mafia four times ever, and two of them were as replacements. There was a similar joke reference to freezeblade’s scummy meta; I think he had a ten game streak.

I enjoyed this wine and wish to pair it with cheese, but I can't come up with a bad joke on the spot for the life of me. Or maybe I just did, oh dear. Either way, I thanketh thee for thy explanation on this matter.

Gopher of Pern wrote: The fun will be in voting mechanics. So I think it would be a good idea if anyone who knows their own abilities to change votes, should declare them early, so town can compensate for them. Scum may be able to manipulate them as well, but as the lynch is town's best (maybe only) way to kill scum, more open information about it would be better.
Methinks thou art role fishing. As pointed out by others, this would probably give more information to scum. But it does make me think we all need to be very careful with our votes, since we do not know what powers are in play. And as was implied by our all-powerful director, an accidental hammer is possible.

I agree with this. Most of the content Gopher has put out seems to be more fixated on roles and how they operate as opposed to having a greater focus on connections and reads, etc.

I don't want to say that most of his content is predominantly fluff, but it would require a second look. I'll develop this point more as I progress further down all these posts I need to get through.
bessie wrote:
DethStalker wrote:Thou, shall I say? Questions? Thy, hated, is one of all. Hated, hated I say!
I do not understand what you are attempting to communicate. Is hated an aspect of your role? If it is, it does not seem to me very townie.

Mmm, I'm not so sure how I feel about this sentiment. Perhaps I am misinterpreting the thought process here, but you imply that being hated =/= townie, but I have been in several games where a townie has been hated but had some kind of redeeming quality to make up for it. Is being 'hated' a generally scummy quality to have on xkcd?

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:I'm V/LA til Tuesday aftednoon y'all. I might be able to get in earlier but no promises.

Dethstalker can still go. I also feel like there's a scum between GoP/Laser.

Can you elaborate further on your GoP/Laser reads? I know you're more of a man of action if it can be helped, so a few sentences should suffice. ;)

LaserGuy wrote:
DGames - I hope no offense is taken here, but I feel his content thus far feels very much like newbie town. Given that he is indeed an experienced fellow of Sir YOLO, my read must be misplaced. For the moment, I mark him as town, but would be very interested to hear some more detailed reads. I hope that not all fellows from your where are as laconic as Sir YOLO and his compatriots have been at times.

My King! I would not dare quarrel with thee, but I will say that I am familiar with the workings of Mafia. I am no master; certainly a student of the game, but my blade is sharp enough to make a bodkin turn its tail.

SDK wrote:Bard - Who do you think is scum?

Hrmmm. I'm still trying to get a feel for all the players here; it's exciting to land myself in an entirely new group of people whom I am unfamiliar with, but it also makes me feel somewhat uncertain as to which way they lean with any sense of certainty.

For example, your claim regarding bessie is a bold one. It was unnecessary albeit a topic of contention for early discussion, which was beneficial to the Town. Doubling down on the information and maintaining your claim makes me question the initial intent. You are not being transparent in this regard, and thus I have difficulty trusting the hand that holds the sword. Do I find it explicitly scummy? I would have a better idea if we were better acquainted, perhaps.

For the time being, I am holding my breath in anticipation as the Act unfolds in your regard until I have a firmer grasp of your direction. Neutral, not necessarily scummy, perhaps anti-town.

Looking down the list, the players that stick out to me are Gopher, Dethstalker, and the inactives. I concede I may have to reread Gopher

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:I'll be able to take a better look tomorrow but quick hits off my phone:

DethStalker can go. He has been given several opportunities to contribute now. I feel kind of bad lynching a new player, but his refusal to contribute thus far....I don't understand it. If I was newbie town and given straightforward questions, I would try. I'm thinking it's possible that he is stalling and not giving out information to protect himself.

Laserguy and GoP both spent a loooooot of time/post content discussing the setup early. I remember seeing a lot of their post volume having to do with it. I usually see at least one scum do this on crazy setups and my impression was that they were the ones who spent the most time on it. I admit though, I DO have pause towards GoP in this case and am currently leaning towards Laser. GoP I know hosted the Crossfire game; this shows me he has a mind for setups. His focus on it here may just be a GoPtell, I'm wondering if anyone who has played with him more has any thoughts as to whether he's the type to hone in on setup information.

I agree regarding Dethstalker, I do not agree regarding Laserguy; he is my King, after all. I see Gopher the way you see him, however I'm leaning more towards scum and don't necessarily buy the excuse you gave him for set up speculation. I think Laserguy has contributed a lot more with fuller reads.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Also, I wanted to tell you guys to hold Bard accountable. Just some info from someone's familiar with him: He's a competent player and should have enough to push a slot or two by now. I just want those who are unfamiliar with him to know that he is capable and you should not hesitate to play hardball with him or let him play dumb.

@Bard

What's going on? Deadline's in 2 days, I imagine you have something by now.

Hrmm, not sure I appreciate the slight instilling of FUD, my good sir! I DID say I was busy on weekends, didn't I? Why do I feel you are perhaps keeping me at an arm's distance? It has been a while since we last played together, so I can't say with certainty what happened in our last roundabout that may be playing a part in it.

Anyway, I'm currently leaning towards GoP and Dethstalker as lynch candidates for this day phase. Regarding Gopher:

Outside of mechanics speculation, phishing, etc., there are tidbits of his posts that appear too fluffy to me and seem to lack strong Town intent. He begins to develop his posts more as the thread progresses in response to pushes that he is too focused on set up speculation, but some tidbits seem off to me. Here's a portion of one of his posts as an example:

Gopher of Pern wrote:Interesting what you say about Bard. You could be telling the truth, and they are scum hiding behind their newness to these forums, or you could be scum, trying to get a townie lynched due to your knowledge of them as a player.

I do not see what Gopher is attempting to ascertain from Yoloswag with this line of dialogue. He presents two goblets filled with a delicious pinot noir, but I'm not sure what he is trying to achieve. Perhaps I am misreading him, but I sense a lack of interest in scum hunting and perhaps more of an interest in appearing preoccupied.

I also think it's a stretch for him to say Dethstalker is noob town, although I'm also of the opinion that it is a stretch to say that Dethstalker is noob scum at this juncture on the premise that everything he has said so far seems to indicate that he is someone who isn't really sure how to play the game.

I can't be too certain though regarding Gopher since I am not familiar with his slot, but that's the way I'm leaning for the time being.

Vote: Gopher of Pern

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Tue May 16, 2017 4:18 am UTC

@Gopher of Pern

Engarde, King Leer! You have incurred the imminent wrath of my blade, and it will not be sheathed quietly. It's time to duel!

*throws gauntlet at Gopher*

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Tue May 16, 2017 11:26 pm UTC

Can only make quick hits today, so I'll respond to Jim in a bit.

But more importantly, and for reasons I can't really explain, Laserguy should not be a play today. I have verrrrrry good reasons for saying this. I know I'm pulling an SDK here somewhat, but yeah.

I'll compromise to Dethstalker if need be, but I will vehemently have to stand behind Laserguy as being Town, contrary to what seems like scummy behavior according to a few.

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Wed May 17, 2017 1:32 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
DGames | Bard wrote:Can only make quick hits today, so I'll respond to Jim in a bit.

But more importantly, and for reasons I can't really explain, Laserguy should not be a play today. I have verrrrrry good reasons for saying this. I know I'm pulling an SDK here somewhat, but yeah.

I'll compromise to Dethstalker if need be, but I will vehemently have to stand behind Laserguy as being Town, contrary to what seems like scummy behavior according to a few.

Huh... you better have a REALLY good reason that your going to reveal D2 if this ends up going sour.

Unvote
Vote SDK

I've been crumbing this all game, so it's legit. Cat's honor!

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Fri May 19, 2017 9:38 pm UTC

Hey guys, I work weekends, so I'll be a bit slow on the posting. I'll try to stay up to date as much as possible.

Glad we nailed scum on our first go-around! Unfortunate though that the scum team had someone so inexperienced and...yeah. Welp.

Sabrar wrote:
DGames | Bard wrote:In any event, something rubs me the wrong way about the bessie confirmation,
Please explain this quote from the very start of the game in light of your own confirmation regarding LaserGuy. State if you cannot do so without going into details about your role/ability. Have you not considered the most likely od's words about there being duplicated roles?

The reason why I haven't jumped on SDK is because we are in a somewhat comparable situation to a degree, maybe. I'm not really sure what the exact details are surrounding his role pm.

The difference is that, contextually, Laserguy was being pushed by multiple routes. Bessie, on the other hand, had just come right out the gate with everyone else when SDK claimed.

That being said, I suspect I know why SDK claimed, but if it's what I think it is, it was not necessary at the time, but I don't know for sure. He could have claimed for an entirely different reason than I think.

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Fri May 19, 2017 9:42 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:The day opens and I find myself most pleasantly surprised to be alive. I appreciate sincerely my most gracious retainer vouching on my behalf. My apologies for not returning more promptly at the twilight hours of last day: I had some technical difficulties connecting to the forums, and then retired for the night.

It seems that DethStalker was scum. I gather from his role PM that he was of the more mundane variety. I am most amused that one of his traits was misunderstood, and, I must admit, his performance of this part was peerless. I will ponder the deaths of jimbob and Sabrar for a spell, though I do note that both roles had some limitation against the type of foes that they could deal with.

mpolo wrote:Votals:
Gopher of Pern (1): bessie

Noted for posterity.

SDK wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:Out of curiosity, did the similar scenario with Zyth/Gopher from last game come to mind when made this claim? It certainly did to me.

No, I didn't give any thought to that at all. Did you think I was trying to take advantage of that happening so recently or something?

That scenario had certainly crossed my mind, yes. We had talked a fair bit last game about how a scumteam could use a friendly neighbour claim to produce a confirmed townie, and the sort of advantage that could bring, so it had crossed my mind that you might have been attempting some sort of similar play to see if it would actually work. I'm not going to pretend that I understand your reasoning for outing bessie at the start of D1 at this point, but I'll admit I do feel quite better about the situation given that Bard apparently has similar information in his own role. Speaking of whom, I unfortunately have no countervailing information in support of Bard.

Regarding countervailing, I wouldn't expect you to. Let's just say our relationship is lopsided. XD

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Sat May 20, 2017 6:53 am UTC

Ok, I haveth arrived from work over yonder! Mreow! :3

So right now, I think Gopher is definitely the most suspicious; from what I can remember, he tried to alleviate pressure off of Dethstalker (calling him noob town) when I don't think that read was very justified. Of course, Dethstalker flipped scum, so the quick and easy explanation was that Gopher was trying to potentially save his partner.

It's either that, or he was misguided, so I will have to do another quick reread to see where he lies on the spectrum. I can't help but feel he is contributing fluff with his most recent posts though (he addresses a topic he finds interesting, but it's kind of null since the focus doesn't seem to be scum hunting). I'm leaning scum still, but I'll remain open-minded.

@Gopher, what's your general feel regarding the roster at this point? Who are the villainous scoundrels of our play, and whom are the saviors of grace? (I'm pretty much reiterating Bessie's question, so answering either of us would work for me.)

I'll be checking out other avenues well to see if I can draw a better picture of what's going on.

SDK wrote:That reminds me, it's a long weekend here in Canada and I'm going backcountry camping. I may post again tonight, but otherwise...

V/LA until Tuesday, May 23.

That sounds fun, now I want smores...

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Sat May 20, 2017 6:57 am UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Actually, Bard can go on the lynch list.

Hrrmmm, just curious, but what is your opinion on me turning Town away from Laserguy when his lynch was looking plausible? At the least, his lynch looked plausible to me at that juncture. Do you think it is possible that I am Dethstalker's partner? Or do you think it's possible that I am of the supernatural variant?

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Sat May 20, 2017 6:59 am UTC

DGames | Bard wrote:
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Actually, Bard can go on the lynch list.

Hrrmmm, just curious, but what is your opinion on me turning Town away from Laserguy when his lynch was looking plausible? At the least, his lynch looked plausible to me at that juncture. Do you think it is possible that I am Dethstalker's partner? Or do you think it's possible that I am of the supernatural variant?

EBWOP: I'm asking how likely you think I am to be scum considering this, or if perhaps you still think I am up to no good regardless?

I won't say that me turning people away from Laserguy is 100% confirmation of me not being scum, but it does make me curious as to where your suspicions are substantiated.

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Mon May 22, 2017 1:25 pm UTC

I'm mostly waiting on our vacationers to get back, but I generally agree with Plytho (I don't think there's anything I disagree with on a first glance); GoP seems scummy; GoP lied about not protecting dethstalker (or perhaps forgot) that he did defend dethstalker by calling him noobtown.

My opinion on bessie is...I like golden retrievers, and people that have cute doggos as their avatar can't be bad people, therefore bessie can't be a bad person (Sabrar is basically in a similar vein and therefore he also must be a good person.)

Oh gosh, what am I saying?! Ok, in all honesty, nothing that Bessie has said so far makes me feel that she is a scummer except when I felt a slight overextension towards dethstalker (perhaps I do not fully understand that interaction), but I don't -think- they are aligned at least. Basically, Bessie suggested that dethstalker's "hated" quality was scummy, but the quality itself is ultimately null I feel (at least from where I'm from). It's more likely likely that Bessie could be of the super natural variant, but that's not something I'm all too worried about right now considering her current play.

BoomFrog seems to be a popular topic as well, but I don't really have a strong opinion on him. If I have time, I'll do a quick reread of some of the other slots to see what I can find.

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Tue May 23, 2017 7:05 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
DGames | Bard wrote:I've been crumbing this all game, so it's legit. Cat's honor!
Could you highlight how you have been doing this, please. I don't have time to check this out myself.

@Bard: did you answer the above?

I haven't! But I will now since it's relevant again:

Basically, if you check pre-game, I mention that there is a je ne se qouis about Laserguy. Afterwards, I very incessantly refer to him as my lord or my king, and say things like "I would not dare quarrel with thee," and so on. Right from the start, I was giving Laserguy very cordial treatment and never once mentioned that he could be scum, etc. (I would pull up quotes but I am currently on my phone).

As for GoP, whom also seems to be a king from the lore, I have not referred to him the same way as I have referred to Laserguy. This shouldn't come as a surprise though to an extent since, in the lore, my character appears to be exceptionally loyal to Laserguy's role. I won't say that flavor is truly indicative of anything in any mafia game, but it somewhat supports my claim I suppose.

Either way, I have to protect my King!

DGames | Bard

Postby DGames | Bard » Tue May 23, 2017 7:13 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:@Bard: Who was most suspicious of you at the end of D1?

@Sabrar: After he answers if you have some data on that I'd like to know what you recorded.

Hmmm, I'm not too sure, I'd have to double check. I remember Yoloswag being suspicious of me, but I can't be certain as to whether or not he is merely being cautious considering our many dances of lore, or if it's something else. He seems to believe me regarding Laserguy though?

Return to “Mafia”