Smashboards/XKCD Crossite game | POSTPONED

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Smashboards/XKCD Crossite game | POSTPONED

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Sat May 27, 2017 7:16 pm UTC

Sup guys. Happy Memorial Day Weekend. I thought about posting this in the Memorial thread but I didn't want to muck up the thread for those following the spoilers.

I've been playing a lot of mafia offsite. Recently, my homesite (Smashboards) was able to get a small game going much to my surprise. I've also been able to convince some of them to play other games offsite with me as you've seen with Zyth, frozen, Bard, etc.

I'm thinking of organizing a cross-site game and am wondering if you guys would be interested. Here are some ideas.

Details on setup, players, and when it could start

1. I'd have AT LEAST 8 xkcd'ers and 8 smashboarders in the game. I'd love to get more, and I'd be down to have as many xkcd'ers and smashboarders as we can get. If I could get like 15 of y'all and 8 smashers, that's fine too. I'm doing this for two reasons. 1) I find large games to be the most epic and fun outside of 13 mans and 2) I hope it could reduce the possible "meta clash" that might happen by having more people familiar with each other and able to communicate it to the "other half". That said, our playstyles are not too different from yours so it wouldn't be unpalatable. From memory I can tell you that we tend to be a little more wagony and a hair more active, but I really, really, really doubt this will be hard to keep up with. Our site's dead for a reason.

2. Flips would be posted IMMEDIATELY after the lynch. So for example if BoomFrog gets lynched D1, his rolename + alignment will be posted (NOT the role pm unless the mod decides to), THEN night starts. So you'd have a flip to analyze stuff before submitting your night action. I'm putting this in because that's what we do on smashboards and I think the "post the flip at the beginning of the next day" would be too jarring for them.

3. I have someone in mind to host the game and am waiting to hear back from him. If he hosts it, I will post other setups he has done. This way, you guys can get a sense of what kind of roles could be used and which ones would not. For example, I can tell you right now that no jester will be in this game and if there is a lyncher him hitting his target will NOT end the game. I can also tell you now that none of the roles you'd see hasn't been already used here. If there are roles you haven't seen before, it wouldn't be off-putting. Also, there MIGHT be vanilla roles if that scares you, but there should certainly be enough power flying around to keep things interesting.

4. If there's enough interest, I'm shooting for a late June, mid-July start date, or whenever Shakespeare nearly ends. Emphasis on waiting for Shakespeare to slow down. This gives me time to gather up players, get their necessary 5 posts, and I also believe the current games on here and smashboards will be much smaller by then so people could hop into this one and give it their full attention.

5. It'd be hosted here in this forum.

6. Scum will have daychat.

Questions for you guys

1. Who is interested in playing? If you're interested, don't be shy, let me know.

2. What deadlines do you guys prefer? On smashboards, we tend to have our dayphases be about a week. We have done shorter ones and longer ones, we're pretty flexible. However, from memory my past games here have had perfect deadlines that I think would be easy for smashboarders to keep up with.

3. Is this more visible if I post it in the signups thread? Wasn't sure whether or not to just post it there but I wanted to hammer out some details. If I get a few people here I'll post it in signups and go from there. I have 4 people including myself from SWF down so far.

If there is not enough interest, that is cool. But as someone who's played on both sites, I think it'd go well and could be pretty damn fun :D

----------------------------------------------------

1. YOLO
2. Zyth
3. Sabrar
4. mpolo
5. Laserguy
6. heuristically_alone
7. frozenflame
8. Ryker
9. adumbrodeus
10. Ranmaru
11. KevinM
12. jimbobmacdoodle
13. Rajam
14. Spak
15. bessie
16. Maven89
17. Kantrip
18. Red Ryu
19. Blade Lord
20. soup
Last edited by #HBC | YOLOSWAG on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:01 pm UTC, edited 9 times in total.

LaserGuy

Re: Smashboards/XKCD Crossite game

Postby LaserGuy » Sun May 28, 2017 5:53 am UTC

I'd be interested. I don't think I could handle two games at once, so if Shakespeare runs long and I'm still alive when you start, I'd probably volunteer as a sub instead.

I like one week per day cycle, but that's all I'm really familiar with. Lots of people here very low activity on weekends, as you've seen, so much shorter cycles can be problematic if you end up with too much of a day falling on a weekend.

Would the night cycles be pretty short? Most of the games I've seen here with daychat are nightless.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun May 28, 2017 7:51 am UTC

Definitely interested. Can adapt to whatever deadline majority prefers.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Sun May 28, 2017 12:16 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:I'd be interested. I don't think I could handle two games at once, so if Shakespeare runs long and I'm still alive when you start, I'd probably volunteer as a sub instead.

I like one week per day cycle, but that's all I'm really familiar with. Lots of people here very low activity on weekends, as you've seen, so much shorter cycles can be problematic if you end up with too much of a day falling on a weekend.

Would the night cycles be pretty short? Most of the games I've seen here with daychat are nightless.
Re: Shakespeare, okay. I've also thought about waiting until Shakespeare is complete, but I'll play it by ear. The SWF people are ready pretty much whenever, and it was this site I was hoping to reel in for this, so don't mind waiting for whenever works for y'all.

As for deadlines and weekends, yes, our games die during weekends as well. I've thought about maybe something like game begins Thursday morning, ends the following Thursday evening? Then you can shave off most of the weekend as Night. I've also considered M-F deadlines and weekend Nights with the option of submitting actions before Night. 8 day deadlines have also worked really well for us. Idk what is best, if anyone knows what works best here let me know.

Nights would last 48 hours.

I have 6 people including myself from SWF interested and haven't even consulted the forum yet. I may be able to get as many as 10 from our site.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sun May 28, 2017 6:48 pm UTC

I would be interested. (I presume this isn't the super extreme high traffic games like the tournament we get invited to each year, and which intimidate me too much to even try to read along…)
Image <-- Evil experiment

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun May 28, 2017 6:56 pm UTC

I should be available. Where would it take place?
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Sun May 28, 2017 7:36 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:I would be interested. (I presume this isn't the super extreme high traffic games like the tournament we get invited to each year, and which intimidate me too much to even try to read along…)

It will be nowhere near that level. Those games overwhelm me too.

Smash is more active than here, especially the people who will join this game because it's been a while since they've gotten to enjoy a large game and thus they will post more out of excitement. However, I don't think it will be overwhelming. Our early games tend to have very short posts, and over time they get more "wall-y" as the game continues depending on the player. So expect a higher volume of posts than your average XKCD game, especially in RVS, but they will tend to be on the shorter side until later in the game. Even then, some players like myself, Zyth, KevinM etc. tend to be short all game regardless of alignment.

I myself often skim through our games and spend no more than 5 or 10 minutes reading through and making a post. I will probably do the same thing in this game. You obviously have other players like plytho, SDK, frozen, and/or J (he's not on the list yet but probably will be) who might take big blocks of time to sift through everything and make a big post, so I think it's dependent on the person's style. It's hard to guess because everyone plays at a different pace, but I think if you can set aside 20 minutes a day to process all the information (that's not including a post of your own), you will be more than okay. I would guess even less than that, but I'm being generous just in case.

If anyone wants to get a sense of what to expect, feel free to skim the following link for a few pages: https://smashboards.com/threads/underta ... 467/page-6

heuristically_alone wrote:I should be available. Where would it take place?

Right here in this forum.

I think I'm going to write a list of interested players and then put this in signups at a later date if it seems enough people here are in. If you don't recognize a name below, they're from SWF. It's just a rough list of people I've seen express interest and will become more refined over time.

Interested Players
1. YOLO
2. Zyth
3. Sabrar
4. mpolo
5. Laserguy
6. heuristically_alone
7. frozenflame
8. Ryker
9. adumbrodeus
10. Ranmaru
11. KevinM

* = possible depending on circumstances

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon May 29, 2017 9:36 am UTC

I'd be interested in trying this out. I'd rather play with the longer end of Days (minimum 7 RL day per day/night cycle). I wouldn't be able to manage this at the same time as another game though, given the potential size (reading 20+ players takes a REALLY long time!).
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon May 29, 2017 2:32 pm UTC

Unfortunately I'm out, heading on vacation pretty soon, so I think Shakespeare will be my last game for a while. Cool idea though, and it's always good to get new people playing together.

PS: I agree that the whole flipping at the beginning of the next Day phase thing is weird. I've never seen that on any other site and it was pretty jarring for me as well when I first joined here.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Mon May 29, 2017 5:25 pm UTC

jimbob, glad to see you're interested. 7+ Days is no problem. I was gravitating towards that or 8 days myself.

I see ConMan has started signups for his game. If it looks like his game starts and people gravitate towards there, I may scrap this so as to not step on anyone's game or divide the playerbase. I'm going to keep this up and see what the people decide they want though. We're at roughly 14 people right now, both sites included.

SDK, sorry to hear you won't be able to play. Sounds like you're having a good summer, camping one weekend and going on vacation another. Have a nice vacation!

The guy I wanted to host the game has agreed. For anyone interested in the kind of roles that could be in play, feel free to peruse the following links:

https://smashboards.com/threads/final-f ... t-14020689 - OS All-Stars (A mashup of roles he has used throughout his modding career
https://smashboards.com/threads/megaman ... 63/page-59 - Megaman Unlimited
https://smashboards.com/threads/super-h ... t-12761128 - Super Heroes
https://smashboards.com/threads/final-f ... t-14020689 - Final Fantasy Tactics

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon May 29, 2017 6:07 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:SDK, sorry to hear you won't be able to play. Sounds like you're having a good summer, camping one weekend and going on vacation another. Have a nice vacation!

Thanks! I go camping most long weekends, and sometimes even normal weekends, but I'm also a teacher at a college meaning I get 2 months vacation. We're driving across Canada this year, and, uh, camping on the way. :P
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

bessie

Postby bessie » Mon May 29, 2017 7:32 pm UTC

YOLOSWAG, I think this game is a brilliant idea! We occasionally discuss how great it would be to get some new players, and maybe if this works out some of our players would like to try a game on your site too.

I don’t think that there will be a problem if this overlaps with Too Rooms, One Boom, and a Bang. We used to have multiple games running at the same time, and some players signed up for all of them. And 2R1B1B is a little different from a regular mafia game so may attract some different players.

SDK wrote:Thanks! I go camping most long weekends, and sometimes even normal weekends, but I'm also a teacher at a college meaning I get 2 months vacation. We're driving across Canada this year, and, uh, camping on the way. :P

What? You mean you won’t be coming to visit me me me? Well then I guess I’ll be available to play.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Mon May 29, 2017 7:41 pm UTC

SDK wrote:
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:SDK, sorry to hear you won't be able to play. Sounds like you're having a good summer, camping one weekend and going on vacation another. Have a nice vacation!

Thanks! I go camping most long weekends, and sometimes even normal weekends, but I'm also a teacher at a college meaning I get 2 months vacation. We're driving across Canada this year, and, uh, camping on the way. :P
Nice.

Only time I've been camping was when I was in the USMC. We were in tiny 2-man tents in freezing weather practically on top of each other. Hopefully your circumstances are more pleasant! :P

bessie, glad to see your enthusiasm. I understand what you mean. I see a lot of sites that play mafia online are dying and/or getting smaller. I've seen it on here, smashboards, serenesforest, walterfootball, and I'm sure others have been affected as well. These little communities are interesting aren't they? They have a little history and camaraderie to themselves; so many variations exist. It's a very unique game.

I also want to share something with you guys that I forgot to add to the OP.

If the game goes, we will be playing under majority lynch. Majority lynch defined as >50% of the playerlist needed to secure a lynch.

So if there's 15 players, 8 need to vote them or there will be no lynch. We always get a lynch through, but this does impact the dynamic of the game so I wanted to give everyone a heads up.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon May 29, 2017 11:02 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:I see ConMan has started signups for his game. If it looks like his game starts and people gravitate towards there, I may scrap this so as to not step on anyone's game or divide the playerbase. I'm going to keep this up and see what the people decide they want though. We're at roughly 14 people right now, both sites included.

If you're worried about clashing with my game, then you can set your start date just after mine finishes. Or I can possibly pull my start date up a week, if people are ready for it.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Rajam

Postby Rajam » Tue May 30, 2017 11:29 pm UTC

confirming /in

be ready scummers, gg wp

Amidamaruu

Postby Amidamaruu » Wed May 31, 2017 1:55 am UTC

Ey wassup this seems tight.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Wed May 31, 2017 2:08 am UTC

This is Ranmaru/Amidamaruu posting as this account because I like it better.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed May 31, 2017 3:21 am UTC

Welcome Rajam! Until your post count reaches 5 you will have some posting restrictions. Your posts will need approval from the forum moderators, and you will not be able to post links. There are some PM restrictions too, so you will definitely want to set up your account and make 5 posts before the game starts. Posts in Forum Games and in the Mafia forum do not count to increase your official post count. Please go to this thread in the General forum and make five posts. If you have any questions, you can check out the xkcd Forum Rules, stickied at the top of every subforum, or just ask and someone will answer them. Looking forward to playing with you! :D

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:55 pm UTC

Ok, 6 players is not what I was looking for. I've shopped this to mafiascum, and we are probably running a large game there.

However, it will be different from the play here. It will be considerably faster and more spammy. If we had played here, the gameplay would have been more traditional.

I still want to run a cross-site game here. Maybe I'll have the smashers jump into a game here sometime, or maybe run a small 12 man? Or maybe I'll go for a large next summer.

That said, anyone's welcome to hop in the mafiascum game with us. Just be aware it will probably be a culture/meta shock if this is the only site you've played. If anyone wants to hop in, shoot me a PM.

Evil George Washington

Re: Smashboards/XKCD Crossite game | POSTPONED

Postby Evil George Washington » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:09 pm UTC

Posting to show that I can still log in.

mpolo

Re: Smashboards/XKCD Crossite game | POSTPONED

Postby mpolo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:14 pm UTC

I'm now back –– this hit while I was on Vacation

EDIT: Oops. Someone just woke it up…
Image <-- Evil experiment

Return to “Mafia”