X-Men Mafia: Resolution

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

dimochka

Re: X-Men Mafia: Day 1

Postby dimochka » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:33 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:(Does the person know they've been hit by jubilee's power?)

No.

somitomi wrote:So what happens if Nightcrawler targets someone, who was killed that night (either by Mafia or by Cyclops)? (I'm guessing it would work the same, except that the information is going to be revealed to everyone anyway).
Is it revealed who was killed by Cyclops, or do we just wake up one day with two people dead?

He'll just know the alignment of the person he targeted, even if that person died.

Sabrar wrote:What kind of result would a Cop-power get?
- Town / not Town
- Town / Scum / Independent
- Town / Mafia / Cult / Independent
- Town / Mafia / Cult / Independent / SK
- Town / Mafia / Cult / Jester / Survivor / SK
- something else

Are the possible results the same for all Cop-powers (Nightcrawler, Magneto, Beast)?

If Professor X redirects A to B and Wolverine sniffs Professor X, will Wolverine smell both A and B?

-Cop power would give the exact alignment (Town / Mafia / Cult / Jester / Survivor / SK). It will be the same for all three iterations of the cop power.

- Wolverine would only smell A, because Prof X would not actually come in contact with B.

mpolo wrote:Does the cult recruit (if present) end with the death of the cult leader, or must the cult be fully eradicated to remove the recruit?

It must be fully eradicated.
Last edited by dimochka on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:38 pm UTC

There's not a lot of time to hash this out, but I'm a little worried about how fast the Sabrar wagon is going. On the other hand, the arguments are reasonably solid -> Sabrar seems to have discounted cult as an option. Even in his defense about what he believed about cults, if he really believed that that could be the case, he would be in a complete panic as a townie. Because a cult where the second-generation members can cult is near unbeatable. You really need an extra kill and a lot of luck on role-blockers… While those roles could be present, they're not guaranteed.

Now knowing that there are maximally one or two members that can perform the culting action [Thanks, somitomi] (option 7 and 8, respectively). Option 8 appears unlikely because of no time for D0, though I suppose dimochka could have had everything ready on Tuesday. Which makes cult an outside chance at best. At this point, looking for scum is all we can do.

With the turbo nature of this, it is going to live or die on continual participation.

NINJA: Yikes! Somitomi was wrong. If we have a cult we are likely doomed.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:45 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:Even in his defense about what he believed about cults, if he really believed that that could be the case, he would be in a complete panic as a townie.
If I feel that the setup is unbalanced then I'm less concerned about the outcome (see Shakespeare post mortem analysis) because in that case it matters a lot less how well I play.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:11 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Ah, I see Bessie's point about Sabrar. He would be asking questions about weird interactions with cult if his mind went there but he didn't, so that implies he has dismissed cult already as a possibility. Therefore Sabrar is a non-town role that narrows the setup to a mafia setup already. Having never been in a cult game is even more damning because he'd be asking basic cult questions.

Vote Sabrar

This is why

Also I just want to go with the flow
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:22 pm UTC

@Peaceful Whale: what part of 'in your own words' did you not understand? What do you know about me and the way I approach things that justifies your vote?

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:25 pm UTC

Unvote
because I'm not yet sure, and I'd like to avoid a premature hammer.
mpolo wrote:Somitomi was wrong. If we have a cult we are likely doomed.

That's strange...
—◯-◯

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:33 pm UTC

unvote

I... uh... sry Sabar... I won't judge too quickly. But if you turn out to be scum...
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:52 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
mpolo wrote:Even in his defense about what he believed about cults, if he really believed that that could be the case, he would be in a complete panic as a townie.
If I feel that the setup is unbalanced then I'm less concerned about the outcome (see Shakespeare post mortem analysis) because in that case it matters a lot less how well I play.

It rather feels like you are already making excuses for if you lose twenty dollars and my self respect as scum again. You seem to care more about winning as town than as scum no matter the unbalanced setup. (See same Shakespeare game)
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:02 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:It rather feels like you are already making excuses for if you lose twenty dollars and my self respect as scum again.
I wasn't the one to bring up the topic.

heuristically_alone wrote:You seem to care more about winning as town than as scum
I'm currently on a losing streak and would love to win as any alignment. With that said you're completely wrong.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:08 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:It rather feels like you are already making excuses for if you lose twenty dollars and my self respect as scum again.

Actually, this makes zero sense. My argument is that cult is too strong and I don't mind (too much) losing to them as town. Where on Earth do you see me making excuses to lose as scum?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:25 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:
mpolo wrote:Does the cult recruit (if present) end with the death of the cult leader, or must the cult be fully eradicated to remove the recruit?

dimochka wrote:
BoomFrog wrote: If the cult leader is killed do the other cult members inherit the recruitment power? Actually is there a cult leader (if there's a cult) or is it a factional recruitment?

Only the original member/members can recruit.

These two can't both be true at once.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:36 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
bessie wrote:I find it very hard to believe that there is any aspect of a game to which you haven’t given much thought.

I also find it very hard to believe that you would make an assumption about game mechanics (in this case, limitations of cult) instead of asking a question.
I have the occasional preconceived notions about the game and unless I see something that specifically indicates otherwise I do not doubt myself in those. That caused me problems in the past as well, if you're really interested I can dig up some examples.
True, and I believe we have argued about some of those preconceived notions in previous games, but I don’t think they were on the level of like “how scum wins the game” (feel free to give examples of where I am wrong here). If we have cult, they’re the only threat, so I don’t believe you would just make an assumption about cult recruiting mechanics.

Sabrar wrote:
bessie wrote:If we have recruits or kills, I don't see a lot of protection against recruits in the way the role pms were originally written.
Why did you leave out the roleblocks from your list?
Because in my head I don’t categorize roleblocker as a protection in the same way as doctor, jailer (doctor aspect), bodyguard, etc.

Wait, am I missing something with cult recruit? Oh good, LaserGuy already caught this while I was typing. More later, late for work as usual.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:36 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
dimochka wrote:

dimochka wrote:
BoomFrog wrote: If the cult leader is killed do the other cult members inherit the recruitment power? Actually is there a cult leader (if there's a cult) or is it a factional recruitment?

Only the original member/members can recruit.

These two can't both be true at once.

Apologies, I misread the top one as "to win", not "to recruit". Only the original member or members can recruit.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:23 pm UTC

I'm extending D1 to Monday because I can rarely login on weekends and didn't originally realize we'd be ending on a Saturday. Subsequent days will end on Mondays and Thursdays (unless we have extensions, or alternatively we have early hammers).

[New Deadline]

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:36 pm UTC

Unvote

Gopher of Pern wrote:I'm pretty sure bessie was making the point that Cult would recruit those who always appear to be townie (i.e. bessie), so they don't get lynched.

Oh, okay, I understand what she's getting at now. Is a townie in a cult game the same as a townie in a mafia game? I feel like there ought to be some differences in terms of how you evaluate town/scum in a cult game that might not always bring you to the same conclusions, but I don't exactly know how to articulate what I think differences might be.

Sabrar wrote:@somitomi: with your joke-vote I'm at L-2 and scum can hammer (though unlikely as it's more likely that they are already on my wagon). Please unvote (unless of course you agree with BoomFrog's 'case').

What aspects of bessie/BoomFrog's play here do you think is scummy? Why is it BoomFrog's case rather than bessie's?

Peaceful Whale wrote:Also I just want to go with the flow

Could you explain what you mean by this?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:02 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:unvote

I... uh... sry Sabar... I won't judge too quickly. But if you turn out to be scum...

Do you no longer think Sabrar is scum? What changed your mind? Walk me though your train of thought so far regarding Sabrar.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:05 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote: My argument is that cult is too strong and I don't mind (too much) losing to them as town.

If this were the case I would have expected at least a token, "If there is a cult we're all doomed anyway." But you never seem to have even considered the ramifications of a cult.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:11 pm UTC

At first I was just following you. You have a good reason to suspect Sabar, and I agreed. But then Sabar defended himself quite nicely, and I realized that it was too early in the game to suspect anyone at this point.

Also, if you are the detective, can you find out who someone is, PM the with that knowledge (only if they are town) so then you two, or eventually three or four, can work together to lynch those who you find are scum/mafia? Does this ever work?

A knows B is town, so A contacts B.
B knows A is detective.
When A says C is mafia, B knows he is telling the truth and can give their support to lynch C.
If D says they are detective, A and B know he is lying instead of just A.
Spoiler:

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:15 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:At first I was just following you. You have a good reason to suspect Sabar, and I agreed. But then Sabar defended himself quite nicely, and I realized that it was too early in the game to suspect anyone at this point.

Also, if you are the detective, can you find out who someone is, PM the with that knowledge (only if they are town) so then you two, or eventually three or four, can work together to lynch those who you find are scum/mafia? Does this ever work?

A knows B is town, so A contacts B.
B knows A is detective.
When A says C is mafia, B knows he is telling the truth and can give their support to lynch C.
If D says they are detective, A and B know he is lying instead of just A.

You can't PM other players unless you have an explicit powers that allows you to do so.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:15 pm UTC

Oh... thank you
Spoiler:

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:16 pm UTC

What people have poweres that allow them to do that, can you reply to their PM?
Spoiler:

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:22 pm UTC

In this game, there are possibly some groups of people (Cyclops, Jean Grey and Wolverine, I think) who can PM one another, if they exist. Also, the mafia or cult often has the power to PM. If your role PM doesn't say anything about this, then you are not one of those people. Sometimes there are roles that allow a player to send an anonymous message to someone else. Usually those can't be answered.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:22 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:What people have poweres that allow them to do that, can you reply to their PM?

I recommend any further questions you have like this are PMed directly to the mod.

In this game the two mafia or the two cultists are allowed to PM eachother (I assume). If you are cult or mafia you should reread your role PM carefully and make sure it says that or confirm privately with the mod.

Also if you are werewolf, Jean-grey, or cyclops you have day chat and can reply to the PM's from the people with those roles.

If you are professor-X then you can pick someone to chat with and they can reply.

If you are none of those things and someone messaged you (and copied the mod on the PM) then that person must be professor X and you can reply to them for the rest of the day 1 phase. Again, confirm with the mod if there is any doubt in your mind before sending a PM and always copy the mod on any PMs you send.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:23 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:But then Sabar defended himself quite nicely

What part of Sabrar's defense was convincing?

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:37 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:

heuristically_alone wrote:You seem to care more about winning as town than as scum
I'm currently on a losing streak and would love to win as any alignment. With that said you're completely wrong.

Here
Spoiler:

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:38 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:
Sabrar wrote:

Here

Sabrar posted that after you had already unvoted.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:50 pm UTC

I don't care

Give me a good reason to Vote him, boy anyone, and I'll probably go with it unless I know better
Spoiler:

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:04 pm UTC

[*]
Sabrar wrote:

Actually, this makes zero sense. My argument is that cult is too strong and I don't mind (too much) losing to them as town. Where on Earth do you see me making excuses to lose as scum?

I am saying if you are scum this game, then it it would feel like you are making an excuse for if you lose as scum again. I'm not saying you have done this before.

(Also I big part of me felt bad for guessing the lynch right last game because you easily a wayyyy better player than me)
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:24 pm UTC

I would argue that cyclops would be worse for town to have as mafia than storm. The extra kill AND having a daychat with a townie alongside normal chat with scum partner? Jean grey, just in case I recommend not giving too much information away to cyclops.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:10 pm UTC

bessie wrote:If we have cult, they’re the only threat, so I don’t believe you would just make an assumption about cult recruiting mechanics.
I feel like I'm explaining the same thing over and over again. I haven't played with cult before. I'm aware of the basic mechanic of it and have no experience with any variations. It simply didn't occur to me to ask about it.
To give you another example: it never occurred to me to ask this question either because from the setup-description it seemed 'evident' that jester was basic jester with no variation.

LaserGuy wrote:What aspects of bessie/BoomFrog's play here do you think is scummy?
I was referring to Peaceful Whale when I said scum is on my wagon. I think BoomFrog is town, not sure about bessie.

LaserGuy wrote:Why is it BoomFrog's case rather than bessie's?
Because bessie didn't vote but BoomFrog committed himself to it.

BoomFrog wrote:If this were the case I would have expected at least a token, "If there is a cult we're all doomed anyway."
I don't do doom and gloom, especially if the chance of there being cult is only 20%. I get frustrated instead.
BoomFrog wrote:But you never seem to have even considered the ramifications of a cult.
Beyond the initial "damn, having cult would suck" reaction I truly haven't. And I didn't bother to type that out. If that's the reason you're voting me then I'll stop arguing with you because there's no point.

heuristically_alone wrote:I am saying if you are scum this game, then it it would feel like you are making an excuse for if you lose as scum again.
Please show me what gave you this idea because I don't see it.
On a completely different note: does Peaceful Whale's play remind you of anything?

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:28 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:29 pm UTC

Just tell me who to vote
Spoiler:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:34 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:Just tell me who to vote
Whom is this addressed to? Who do you think is so townie that you're comfortable blindly following him/her?

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:48 pm UTC

Can't we just wait until more of the day has elapsed? I don't see any reason to rush, the extension we received gives us ample time to think.
—◯-◯

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:45 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:

Can't we just wait until more of the day has elapsed? I don't see any reason to rush, the extension we received gives us ample time to think.

Thinking won't get us anywhere without discussion. Discussion is empty without strong opinions.

What do you think of Sabrar and Peaceful Whale?

GoP, mpolo: It'd be good to hear more from you to as well.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:49 pm UTC

Why me? What have I done that is suspicious
Spoiler:

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:11 am UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:Why me? What have I done that is suspicious

Peaceful Whale, you never answered my question as to your mafia playing experience, so I’m going to assume you are fairly new to the game.

To start with, we as a group are always very happy to have new players and will do our best to help you out. If you have a question about the forum rules or about general mafia gameplay (like how does a roleblocker power work, how many votes are needed to lynch, etc) you may ask in this thread, and someone will answer you truthfully.

If you have a specific question about this game or your role (like how does your power work, etc), please send a private message to dimochka. If you have a question and you aren’t sure which category it falls under, send a pm with your question to dimochka.

So while we’re all happy to help you, you don’t get a free pass just because you’re new. Right now you’re acting suspicious by making posts like this:
Peaceful Whale wrote:I don't care

Give me a good reason to Vote him, boy anyone, and I'll probably go with it unless I know better

Peaceful Whale wrote:...

In general, players that don’t contribute to the conversation are viewed as suspicious. They aren’t talking; maybe they have something to hide! So if you want to contribute, maybe you can make a list of players and give us your opinion on each? Is there anyone that you think is especially scummy or townie? Why?

I'll respond to the rest of the day's content in a little while.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:23 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:What did you imagine the standard cult rules would be?
Why did you ask?

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:39 am UTC

mpolo wrote:There's not a lot of time to hash this out, but I'm a little worried about how fast the Sabrar wagon is going. On the other hand, the arguments are reasonably solid -> Sabrar seems to have discounted cult as an option. Even in his defense about what he believed about cults, if he really believed that that could be the case, he would be in a complete panic as a townie.

Votals at the time of your post:

Sabrar (3) : somitomi, BoomFrog, Peaceful Whale
bessie (1) : LaserGuy

Not voting: heuristically_alone, Gopher of Pern, Sabrar, bessie, mpolo

Why were you worried? Did you really think that there would be a hammer with two days remaining? By who? If you are worried about Sabrar being lynched, you could try looking for scum somewhere besides Sabrar, instead of discussing the setup. The only player you have commented on in this entire game is Sabrar.

LaserGuy wrote:
Gopher of Pern wrote:I'm pretty sure bessie was making the point that Cult would recruit those who always appear to be townie (i.e. bessie), so they don't get lynched.

Oh, okay, I understand what she's getting at now. Is a townie in a cult game the same as a townie in a mafia game? I feel like there ought to be some differences in terms of how you evaluate town/scum in a cult game that might not always bring you to the same conclusions, but I don't exactly know how to articulate what I think differences might be.

You voted for me and joked that it was the only vote I would receive all game. If you have a chance to skim Dracualfia, you’ll see that moody was pushing my lynch because he thought I was the most likely cult recruit (does someone want to let somitomi and Peaceful Whale in on the joke?). I asked you earlier what cult might look for in a recruit, and you answered key power roles. Well, great, so cult recruits Cyclops, it’s not going to do them any good if Cyclops is the scummiest player in the game and gets lynched or investigated.

D2 when we might have a better idea of the setup we can discuss strategies for determining cult. D1 it will be similar to hunting mafia, because they haven’t recruited yet. I think the most important thing we can do is keep everyone talking. Lots and lots. I am going to be especially suspicious of anyone lurking on D1, because then we won’t have enough content to compare it to D2.

BoomFrog wrote:
somitomi wrote:

Thinking won't get us anywhere without discussion. Discussion is empty without strong opinions.

Agree. If anyone is having trouble thinking of something to say, they can always make an ordered town-scum list. I really like ordered lists.

Gopher of Pern wrote:But still, if there is a cult, storm will be culted. Or bessie. (possibly both! :P).
Pfft.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:57 am UTC

At the point I posted, there hadn't been an extension yet. I was not confident enough of the read to put someone at L-1. And I had only posted twice by the time of that post, so had only commented on the "hot issues".

I am still distrustful of Sabrar. I can understand his explanation that he simply was ignoring cult for lack of experience with them, but I still feel uneasy, given the level of panic I myself felt at the possibility of cult. If he is scum, he's almost certainly mafia (or a really good actor).

Peaceful Whale is new, but the style of participation here is very concerning. He is not presenting personal analysis, only stating a willingness to follow ANYBODY on the lynch. In a more experienced player, I'd rate this as clearly damningly scummy. In a new player, it's still pretty scummy (only scum really doesn't care who we lynch as long as we lynch somebody and so is eager to be following someone. This gets into the 2nd-3rd voter on a wagon argument, which is admittedly often wrong…).

Bessie is being generally helpful. One of these games, she's going to be scum, though, so I am going to cautiously place her in the neutral category.

somitomi is not pushing for speed, which is good, though seems open to "just telling PW who to vote", which is a bit of a red flag.

heuristically_alone is trying to push some different angles and generate discussion.

LaserGuy and BoomFrog seem pretty normal with a cursory look.

GoP hasn't posted much.

I don't think I have enough for an ordered list at the moment.

For my benefit (and to force myself to read all of these, and to make sure I haven't misread them):
Cyclops: 1-shot vig; Chat with Jean Grey
Wolverine: tracker/watcher who can't distinguish the two; survive one death with help; Chat with Jean Grey
Rogue: Jailer; 1-shot power siphon
Storm: 1-shot Force vote-follow; 1-shot early day end
Beast: Inventor (either gives away, or can only use when not inventing)
Gambit: Roleblocker; Bodyguard for Rogue
Jubilee: dazzle target into targetting himself; can help Wolverine
Jean Grey: 1-shot PGO; Day Chats with Cyclops and Wolverine
Professor X: Daily Private Chat with one person; power redirector
Magneto: JoaT
Nightcrawler: Alignment cop; untrackable/watchable
Ice Man: Doctor; 1x self-protection from all powers

Some random thoughts on powers:

Nightcrawler's ninja power is useless unless Wolverine is present.

We will have to be careful on D2 with the number of power-modification abilities. Which is always a headache.

Ice Man and Rogue would be the MVPs for town. Nightcrawler is also not shabby. Gambit is more useful if Rogue is not there, though protecting Rogue is a good thing if she is town.

All the Day Chats are possibly tainted by scum, so should be taken with a grain of salt. Then again, scum may slip up from having to keep up multiple chats. If all the chatters are present, we could have like all but two people chatting. It is probable that chatters will somewhat neglect either their chat or the main thread, so we may be able to detect them that way.

If Cyclops is Mafia, the mafia is much more dangerous, as we would not reliably know when we are at LYLO/MYLO. If he's cult, it's even worse.

In general cult is worse than mafia because we will get a lot less flips.

Return to “Mafia”