Refrigerator Mafia - Post Game - The Eternal Soup

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Znirk

Re: Refrigerator Mafia - D1 - The Purge Begins

Postby Znirk » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:02 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:What's the use of nights? Does it give scum time to plan? What is night/daychat? Is it A separate fora or something? Is their something I'm missing?

One format for this kind of game is to have separate periods of time for "day" (which is what we're doing now) and "night" (when nothing happens in the public thread). In those games, Mafia can't chat during the day, or: they do not have day chat. Instead, they have all their discussion during the night phase, and decide on a target then. Similarly, characters with powers submit their actions to the mod only after day has ended. All of this happens through private messages, with the moderator copied in on any exchange between players.

But this game is "nightless": The moderator resolves "night" as quickly as possible and immediately starts the next day; there isn't a dedicated night phase. That's why people with powers are asked to submit their target PMs to the mod during the day already (see game specific rule 1 in the opening post), and that's why we assume that the Mafia have day chat (i.e. they can exchange private messages during "day"). They pretty much have to, because there is no night.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:04 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:What's the use of nights? Does it give scum time to plan? What is night/daychat? Is it A separate fora or something? Is their something I'm missing?

This game is nightless. This means that once the lynch has happened, the day will end and all conversation will cease. Sometime shortly after (basically whenever BoomFrog has time), night actions will be processed, and then Day 2 will begin immediately. If you have a night action, you should send a PM to BoomFrog ASAP telling him what you want to do, because you won't get the chance after day ends.

In other games, there's a night phase, where there's usually about 48 hours to submit night actions, and these will be processed only at the end of the night. In these games, scum and other chat groups can usually (though not always) only chat during the night.

Daychat means that scum can PM each other during the day phase. This is a pretty powerful ability because it lets them coordinate in real time.
Nightchat means that scum can only PM each other during the night phase (in games where there is one). In this case, scum can only coordinate between days and can't respond as easily in real time.

ninja by Znirk

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:07 pm UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:It could be that he's a power tool.

Say what you want about apples but power tools really don't belong in a fridge
:D
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:08 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote: If it were a day till the deadline instead of an hour, I'd be willing to switch to voting him, but I'm nervous about shenanigans.

What sort of shenanigans are you nervous about?
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:24 pm UTC

plytho wrote:
Peaceful Whale wrote:It could be that he's a power tool.

Say what you want about apples but power tools really don't belong in a fridge
:D

:D wow, I actually laughed
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:50 pm UTC

plytho wrote:
moody7277 wrote: If it were a day till the deadline instead of an hour, I'd be willing to switch to voting him, but I'm nervous about shenanigans.

What sort of shenanigans are you nervous about?

Last minute switches by scum to make a no lynch or lynch a townie over scum (though the first is mitigated by BoomFrog's choice on how to resolve ties). Basically stuff I've seen done or been a part of in those instances I've been scum.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:58 pm UTC

Yeah, if we bring this vote too close to a tie, scum may switch suddenly to save teammate, it would be obviously scummy, but they might. Also I think having no lynch might be worse than lynching a townie, becuase when we kill a townie we at least have narrowed possible scum down. Or it could clear up confusion. But we may kill a needed role like cop or doctor. While I was reading this i realized something boomfrog could have done... The cop could be a donut!!!!!!!!!!! Lol, boomfrog, you really should do this. :lol: I hope you did. In fact now that I thinking like that, I've though of a whole lot more, but I doubt they're relevant. Maybe I'll list them later! For the lolz
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:08 pm UTC

plytho was pushed to the front. Father opened the fridge door all the way and glanced down. "Well, I guess we're having fondue for dinner tonight." He lifted plytho out into the great unknown. The outside world of the people. "Honey, does this cheese smell off to you?"

plytho has been lynched and is now out of the game. Night actions will be processed and D2 will start soon.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:44 pm UTC

The door opens again. It's Timmy rummaging for a snack. Suddenly, Znirk is pushed forward. Timmy's eyes light up and he devours most of the doughnut right before your eyes. Crumbs and sprinkles fly everywhere littering the fridge floor. Znirk's purpose is fulfilled. He was good food for Timmy. Blessed be his passage to the great outside.

The next morning, the news is not so good. The food can hear the family yelling at each other. "What did we eat last night, I think I'm going to barf!" "I'm not going to make it!" "Oh god, it's everywhere!" The family has eaten spoiled food. Were we right to push plytho to the front? We poisoned the family. But it must be done. If we purge the bad food the rest can stay good. It must be done.

plytho was a Cheese - Mafia Recruit - He wins with the mafia but does not know who the other mafia are. He can choose a target each night and if they are mafia then he joins the mafia group.

Znirk has left the game. He was a Doughnut - Noisy macho cop - He wins with town. Regular cop power, but if he targeted scum they would be told his identity and that they'd been investigated. Macho means he could not be protected from kills.

If my summery of a role is confusing I will answer questions asking for more detail.

D2 begins now. Deadline is in 3 days. 11am PDT Friday.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:51 pm UTC

Did Mafia know that there is a Recruit in the game?
If yes, did they know who that was?

A man can dream.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:52 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Did Mafia know that there is a Recruit in the game?

The mafia did know there is a recruit. They were not told who it was.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:53 pm UTC

by Grabthar's ha....rk

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:54 pm UTC

Oho. I've never seen the Mafia Recruit role in play as far as I can remember so I wouldn't have known how to tell someone is playing like one...

I wonder if Mafia knew there was a Recruit around? If they had reason to suspect it then they might have been trying to figure out who it was D1.

(Speaking of D1, I think the thread needs a title change...)

[Ninja'd but the ninja only serves to make my post more relevant!]
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:55 pm UTC

Vote: LaserGuy

Time to lynch actual scum.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:56 pm UTC

Hmm...

So does this push us into a 6-2-1 setup where the 1 is a mafia recruit? :? I guess it could be 7-1-1 with recruit, but that seems kind of weird to me.

I'm not sure what to think of the fact that Peaceful Whale correctly identified the cop as donut just before Znirk flipped. Could just be a lucky guess, I suppose, but I raise a skeptical eyebrow in his general direction.

More thoughts later when I've had time to think this through.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:59 pm UTC

Unvote

Wait a minute.

BoomFrog wrote:plytho was a Cheese - Mafia Recruit - He wins with the mafia but does not know who the other mafia are. He can choose a target each night and if they are mafia then he joins the mafia group.
How does this work exactly? Does the Recruit actually have to join Mafia in order to win? If not does he count as Mafia when determining parity?

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Re: Refrigerator Mafia - D2 - Rest in Pieces

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 pm UTC

I assume "wins with the mafia" means what it says.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:03 pm UTC

7-1-1 is way too weak for scum with Recruit having to guess correctly before Town does so. Also game could end D1 with the correct lynch (I would assume).

Can Recruit win on his own - without joining Mafia - after all Mafia members are dead?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:03 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:I assume "wins with the mafia" means what it says.

You know what they say about 'assume', right? :D

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:05 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:7-1-1 is way too weak for scum with Recruit having to guess correctly before Town does so. Also game could end D1 with the correct lynch (I would assume).

Can Recruit win on his own - without joining Mafia - after all Mafia members are dead?
Yes. But he would never get access to the night kill.
Last edited by BoomFrog on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:06 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote: If not does he count as Mafia when determining parity?

Was this question directed at me? If so can you rephrase it?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:08 pm UTC

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:08 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:

Yeah, it means it's plain as the nosu on me face. :P

Even with the recruit being able to win on their own, having only one actual mafia at game start seems unlikely to me.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:14 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
Sabrar wrote:

Yeah, it means it's plain as the nosu on me face. :P

Even with the recruit being able to win on their own, having only one actual mafia at game start seems unlikely to me.

Maybe Mafia/Recruit/Jester as scum? That could balance, I guess. Two mafia and recruit seems more plausible to me, though it means the setup is pretty scum-sided.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:18 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:

Would 4 town vs 2 mafia + recruit be considered LYLO?

Not sure if this was asked before, but
Will MYLO/LYLO be announced?

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:19 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Two mafia and recruit seems more plausible to me, though it means the setup is pretty scum-sided.
How scum-sided that is depends on how powerful town is in terms of roles. Znirk's cop role was surprisingly watered-down though.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:26 pm UTC

What happens if Recruit doesn't join Mafia, all Mafia members are lynched and last remaining 2 players are 1 Town + the Recruit? Recruit can always vote No Lynch which wins ties, with no NK how is the game decided? Is it a tie,
a forced-die-roll, mod-declared win for scum or something else?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:42 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:

Would 4 town vs 2 mafia + recruit be considered LYLO?

Not sure if this was asked before, but

Yes and Yes

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:44 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:What happens if Recruit doesn't join Mafia, all Mafia members are lynched and last remaining 2 players are 1 Town + the Recruit? Recruit can always vote No Lynch which wins ties, with no NK how is the game decided? Is it a tie,
a forced-die-roll, mod-declared win for scum or something else?

Repeated NL and No-Kills would be declared a tie if there are no other important factors that are changing.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:49 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:

Yes and Yes

Is MYLO/LYLO announced if Town has Doc + Vig left? Theoretically Townie could be lynched, Doc prevents the NK, Vig kills scum, Town can still win.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:02 pm UTC

I'm suddenly much more interested in hearing from Peaceful Whale about the "apple" business.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:05 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:

Yes and Yes

Is MYLO/LYLO announced if Town has Doc + Vig left? Theoretically Townie could be lynched, Doc prevents the NK, Vig kills scum, Town can still win.

See, this is why I usually don't announce MYLO/LYLO. :roll: :P

When announcing LYLO in any situation I would explain that it means "scum almost control half the votes and scum must be lynched today or town will very likely lose. (Town may be able to keep control of the lynch due to power uses.)"

I would not change the wording if there were or were not sufficient power roles left to survive a misslynch.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:11 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:I'm suddenly much more interested in hearing from Peaceful Whale about the "apple" business.
Why? Do you think it makes sense for BoomFrog to give flavor hints to Mafia/Recruit? It goes against the very nature of the role.

I think I've heard enough.

Vote: LaserGuy

BoomFrog wrote:See, this is why I usually don't announce MYLO/LYLO. :roll: :P
No, this is why you should answer with 'No comment' to most mechanical questions, especially if I'm the one asking them. :D

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:19 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:I'm suddenly much more interested in hearing from Peaceful Whale about the "apple" business.
...Why? It was spurious when we brought it up. It's even less relevant now that we've found the mafia recruit, unless you think there's another recruit-like role in the game.

As soon as I get a chance I'm going to look through some of LaserGuy's games and see if I still agree with my meta-read.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:24 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:

Why? Do you think it makes sense for BoomFrog to give flavor hints to Mafia/Recruit? It goes against the very nature of the role.

See jimbob and Znirk role PMs from Diablo. Both were given flavor information (they were told they were looking for Gillian and Lazarus, respectively) that they could align themselves with.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:27 pm UTC

Ok, let's try this.

Were Mafia/Recruit given any hints about the other's role-flavor?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:47 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Ok, let's try this.

Were Mafia/Recruit given any hints about the other's role-flavor?

Here is the cheese role PM:
BoomFrog wrote:Cheese - Mafia recruit

You are a block of cheese. For now you stand alone, but you are looking for a group to be friends with. Even spoiled rotten friends would be better then nothing. Your alignment is mafia, but you don't start in the mafia chat group. Each day you can choose a player by sending me a PM. If that player is in the mafia then that night you will join the mafia group. Also, if you are targeted by the mafia night kill then you will join them instead of dying. You win when town is eliminated or that outcome in inevitable.

The mafia does know you exist. You do not get the night kill if the mafia is eliminated before you.

No comment about the mafia.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:54 pm UTC

Thank you.

So the apple hint meant nothing to plytho and it is unlikely that scum thought it would. Unless Peaceful Whale is a lonely Mafia with no scum-buddy. That actually would explain a lot of things, however I find this very extremely unlikely in a newbie-friendly game.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:00 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
Sabrar wrote:Did Mafia know that there is a Recruit in the game?

The mafia did know there is a recruit. They were not told who it was.

This is either a mod slip of revealing there are at least 2 other mafia, or boom frog being careful with his words. 3 mafia just seems a lot for a 9 player newbie game.

Sabrar was being his normal townie self asking all of his normal questions when a new mechanic was introduced. Sabrar may have just received my highest townie award.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:07 pm UTC

For the sake of thoroughness, here is Znirk's role PM.
BoomFrog wrote:Doughnut - Noisy macho cop

You're a half-eaten doughnut with nothing to lose. Each day you can choose a player by sending me a PM and that night you will investigate them learning their alignment. Unfortunately, you are so reckless that if the target is scum they will learn your power and that you investigated them.

Also, you are macho and refuse help from others. You cannot be protected from night kills. (This last part will not be told to scum that you investigate).

Your alignments is Town. You win when all threats to town have been eliminated or that outcome in inevitable.

Return to “Mafia”