Crossover Mafia | Game!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

#HBC | Zyth

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:41 pm UTC

Vote: heuristically_alone

Spak

Postby Spak » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:43 pm UTC

Hey, I'm Spak from SmashBoards. I've been playing for ~2 years now, and am thus still considered one of the newer players on the site. I can't attest to if I'm a good player or not because I haven't figured that out for myself yet, but it's been a bit since I've played a full game so I'm looking forward to this. I'm a guy, and prefer the normal guy pronouns (he/him/his). Oh, and I'm currently residing in Indiana (although I'd be in NC if I were to ever play on this site when I'm home during breaks).

Vote: Maven

I don't trust bear men. Get in here and prove me otherwise.

Now back to Data Structures and Algorithms lol.
"As a friend, it is my duty to inform you that your life appears to need more justice."
~Drake Redcrest, 2005

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:45 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:@moody if causing chaos would cost you the game, why wouldn't you want to remove the chaos?

Basically, mpolo's claimed power is, if used in a vacuum, an inherently anti-town power even if he is town. Him declining to use it N0 gives him some townie points. The later in the game it gets, the more useful his power might be since he'll have good info on which to base his decisions. By the time we get to the point where it would be easy to tell if lynching him would cost the game, he would be able to "earn his keep" in a sense.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

FrozenFlame

Re: Crossover Mafia | N0

Postby FrozenFlame » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:50 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:GLaDOS is in this game. She is a passive "bomb" -- upon detonation she will kill whoever killed her. This cannot be prevented from bulletproof, protection from abilities, or redirects.

Oooooooo is this a nod to my bomb roles from Bad Idea Mafia Redux? If so, <3 you guys. If not go ahead and laugh at my narcissism. Hoping its a nod though considering it was through the bomb mechanic that OS mistakenly thought he could break the setup =P

General info for non smashboards players (or really anyone who hasn't played in an OS setup before): Firstly, OS has a fantastic sense of balance. He also loves to make games full of power roles, especially interesting non-traditional ones. Expect to see a lot of roles or variations on roles that you've never seen before. However, you can also expect that this will likely be one of, if not THE MOST ROBUST setups you've ever played in, both in terms of balance and meaningful choice given to each slot. Unless OS has lost his touch, which I have no reason to believe, we're in for what could very well be his magnum opus, though I'd hesitate to call it that without actually hearing it straight from him haha. Either way, because OS knows what the fuck is up when it comes to robust game design, I can safely say that the chance of there being cancerous degenerate roles in this game is near zero. That means no lazy, bullshit, kingmakery, or otherwise toxic wastes of slots like survivors, jesters, lynchers, etc. If there are multiple indies in this game, they won't be anything you've seen before in all likelihood (unless of course you've played in one of OS's past games) and they certainly will be fairly balanced with challenging wincons.

In fact, I'm so confident that this game is probably insanely well balanced that Im pretty much unconcerned with speculating on the setup at this point because it is probably immensely difficult to metagame and we don't have to worry about losing to some stupid gimmick which is so fantastic for my mental health in a game this large.

Sabrar wrote:And speaking of mechanics:

Vote: FrozenFlame

Clearly the only logical choice. Scum-points to the first player who guesses the reason. :D
Pretty lost here unless you've somehow become privy to an SWF inside joke re: historical regularities that occur to my slot

#HBC | Zyth wrote:Anyways, I'm Dgames' best player. I've won 90% of the games that I've been town and I usually have most of the scum team pinned down by the end of D1, usually within their first few posts.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

moody7277 wrote:14-4-1(SK)-1(survivor)
I'm willing to put all my pride on the line and pretty much guarantee that there is no jester in this game. I cannot overstate how shocked I would be if there was. OS knows better than to use shit roles like that.

Gamma Emerald wrote:Hi, I am a he, jsyk. I've been slowly binging the comic this forum is dedicated to.
Probably will read Peaceful Whale's games later, just to see how he opens. For now I'm gonna
Vote FrozenFlame
Because he needs to die this time.

You scared I'm gonna soft read you as scum again all game and then finally get the balls to lynch you a few day phases too late for it to mean anything? :wink:

Vote: Gamma Emerald

Sabrar wrote:
Peaceful Whale wrote:Time for a reads list!!! :P

Town:
PW

Not-So-Sure:
Everyone else

Now this is scummy.

:slow nod in agreement:

Gamma Emerald

Postby Gamma Emerald » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:55 pm UTC

@HA: lol thanks for getting my username! I just wanted a RWBY avatar more.
@FF: Nope! And you managed to lynch me that game, it just happened that my lynch was a planned bus.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:00 pm UTC

FrozenFlame wrote:I'm willing to put all my pride on the line and pretty much guarantee that there is no jester in this game. I cannot overstate how shocked I would be if there was. OS knows better than to use shit roles like that

Thanks for the mod info. I'll keep my eye peeled for something more exotic then.

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

FrozenFlame

Postby FrozenFlame » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:07 pm UTC

Gamma Emerald wrote:@FF: Nope! And you managed to lynch me that game, it just happened that my lynch was a planned bus.

lol well yeah, hence why I said it was too little and too late to actually matter

moody7277 wrote:Thanks for the mod info. I'll keep my eye peeled for something more exotic then.

I should be saying that I know that OS/marshy/rajam all know better than to use shit roles like jester in this game because afaik this setup was a collaborative effort amongst those three but I don't think any of them would disagree that this setup is likely to mostly be OS's creation with input and adjustments suggested by marshy/rajam. My point remains however that the setup will not have unfair/degenerate bullshit in it because none of the three co-mods/designers would tolerate that. The fact that OS had extra eyes going over the setup only makes me more confident that we don't have to be afraid of wack roles.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 pm UTC

#HBC | Zyth wrote:Vote: heuristically_alone

Are you saying that I am more scummy than Peaceful Whale, or is it pretty equal?
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:12 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:Vote: heuristically_alone

Are you saying that I am more scummy than Peaceful Whale, or is it pretty equal?

You're definitely more scummy.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 pm UTC

Anytime I play with new players for the first time I always get read as scum. <3
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:17 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:Anytime I play with new players for the first time I always get read as scum. <3

:)

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:22 pm UTC

The thing about your post is that it comes from the perception that I'm town and not scum just throwing shade. A townie would be more suspicious of my motives, but you're already sure that I'm just "misreading" you.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:25 pm UTC

Where do I say I think you are town? You're soft screaming "I am townie" does not in any way make me think you are townie.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:28 pm UTC

"Anytime I play with new players for the first time I always get read as scum. <3"

This indicates that you think I'm a "misguided townie".

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:30 pm UTC

Did you get a scum read on huery? I'm confused where this read is coming from.

(If huery is scum again, can I hammer him? He owes me for getting killed last game)
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:32 pm UTC

It still was a neutral tell, but now that I see you forcing assumptions onto me, that is a slight scum lean. It's practically putting words in my mouth. And not the yummy sweet kind that tastes of cotton candy.

Ninja'd: No, misguided scum also scum read me as well.

Peace ninja'd: I got you to the final 3, what more could you want?
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:40 pm UTC

Letting me win :D
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:12 am UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:Did you get a scum read on huery? I'm confused where this read is coming from.

(If huery is scum again, can I hammer him? He owes me for getting killed last game)
I never explained why I initially scum read him, but his reaction is telling enough.

What was your "woah that escalated quickly" post referring to?
heuristically_alone wrote:It still was a neutral tell, but now that I see you forcing assumptions onto me, that is a slight scum lean. It's practically putting words in my mouth. And not the yummy sweet kind that tastes of cotton candy.

Ninja'd: No, misguided scum also scum read me as well.

Peace ninja'd: I got you to the final 3, what more could you want?
Scum can't be misguided because they'd know you aren't scum. Pretty straight forward. I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm looking at the mindset behind your words, and your post indicated that you were of the mindset that I am town -- something you shouldn't yet have evidence for unless you're scum or peeked me n0.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:13 am UTC

Vote Count 1.1
Frozenflame (2): Sabrar, Gamma Emerald
Sabrar (1): SirGabriel
BoomFrog (1): moody7277
heury (1): #HBC | Zyth
Maven89 (1): Spak
Gamma Emerald (1): Frozenflame

Not Voting (13): Maven89, Red Ryu, Evil George Washington, heuristically_alone, BoomFrog, Peaceful Whale, Bessie, Dark Horse, Znirk, jimbobmacdoodle, plytho, Madge, mpolo

With 20 alive, it takes 11 to lynch!
Last edited by #HBC | YOLOSWAG on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:18 am UTC

Yep Zyth, all of a sudden you randomly voted for huery.
Spoiler:

Gamma Emerald

Postby Gamma Emerald » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:20 am UTC

@Zyth: I think his main issue is being called scum not being scumread. He just used bad wording.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | DL = 9/13

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:28 am UTC

Peaceful Whale wrote:I'm going to suck this game, I don't understand any of the flavor. I don't know any comics and stuff, hardly recognize anyone in the picture, and had to Google my character. :cry:

vote: Peaceful Whale

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:32 am UTC

vt
#HBC | Zyth wrote:What was your "woah that escalated quickly" post referring to?

My guess is it had to do with you doing what seem to be serious votes while the rest of us are still thinking joke votes. We had a guy in here that did those who also had a really solid scumhunting reputation. Of course, he also had a killer gambit game when he was scum, so I think I'll be treating you very carefully. I think I saw what gave you the scum read on heury, but I think I want to leave that for others to discover for themselves.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:41 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:14-4-1(SK)-1(survivor) is my guess on setup, based on Sabrar's numbering. Maybe the survivor position is a jester, or one of the town places swinging over to that. With a game this size, and with the other site's members possibly not having our aversion (although YOLOSWAG has been here enough to know), it's also not out of the question that there might be cult.

Vote: BoomFrog

cause it's been so long. And also

Fos: Evil George Washington for having the word evil in his name.

#HBC | Zyth wrote:What's love meta got to do with it? Regardless, new players tend to be easier to read in general.

You weren't in last game where I had Peaceful Whale pegged as town right up until I got co-lynched with scum.

What makes you think of a jester or a cult?

I'm curious if things are different here for third party roles?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:43 am UTC

Gamma Emerald wrote:Hi, I am a he, jsyk. I've been slowly binging the comic this forum is dedicated to.
Probably will read Peaceful Whale's games later, just to see how he opens. For now I'm gonna
Vote FrozenFlame
Because he needs to die this time.
PEdit: co-lynched? is that what I think it is because I'm gonna try to abuse the hell out of it if it is. Is that lynching two people tied at votes at day end?

Why does he need to die?

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:44 am UTC

Well, there's another vote for me. I should just pretend I'm scum, it appears I'm more towny then. :cry:
Spoiler:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:47 am UTC

#HBC | Zyth wrote:
Sabrar wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:What's love meta got to do with it?
You may want to re-read Peaceful Whale's 2 previous games to get a feel for him.

I'm really not a fan of basing reads off of meta. I think it tends to act more as a blindfold than it is useful. Play style is something that can be easily altered. PW themselves said they overplayed their newness in the last game. I don't think it would be wise to use that as a basis for their alignment this game.
Sabrar wrote:@Zen: to clarify, was that a serious vote?
Woof!

Bark bark?

Is whale playing up his posts?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:48 am UTC

#HBC | Red Ryu wrote:What makes you think of a jester or a cult?

It seems like we have more than our fair share of jesters, and I find the role distasteful in the extreme. Fortunately, I am allowing myself to be convinced by FrozenFlame that there won't be any. As for cult, that is purely based off of game size. In a small game, they've already won by the time you know what's happening. It's also distasteful, because you basically have to make a deal with the devil in order to get rid of them.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:51 am UTC

Oh yeah intros, hi I am Red Ryu I am terrible at this game and just do my best.

Anyways Whale is scum let's lynch him.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:56 am UTC

What does playing up my posts mean.

Not scum, you'll regret lynching me.

Seriously though, I can roleclaim if that helps.

What's with the woofs and barks?
Spoiler:

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:28 am UTC

Unvote

Should be in bed. :(
Are all DGamers on US time? That would suck.

I'm glad we likely have no Jesters, otherwise Zen would be a prime suspect. More in the morning.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:33 am UTC

Znirk wrote:I have nothing to claim from Night 0.

Neither do I.

Znirk wrote:-> Sir Gabriel: You were an excellent werewolf in my first game on this forum, Smalltown 2. When you ended up getting lynched (or possibly vigilanted, I don't remember the details) at the very end of the game I would say it was on the basis of "but everyone else is even less likely to be town".

It definitely wasn't a vig, I was immune to all targeted night actions. And that was a fun game - I was basically playing as a serial killer with teammates I could sacrifice (given the number of investigative roles, any of my teammates were almost certain to be outed by endgame, so my goal from the beginning was to try to slip under the radar, and it almost worked).

Znirk wrote:Want to convince me you're the genuine town article this time round, or do we figure this out closer to the end?

I can't think of any way to convince you immediately, so I guess you'll have to wait and find out.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 am UTC

How this game is going to go now that Dgames is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP9QaXL5fTI

I only skimmed through on my phone, so I'm about to reread and get a grasp on everything, but some things I saw that I felt I should mention

1. No one but Zynth would say Zynth was the best Dgamer

2. Jester's are widely hated on Dgames and essentially blacklisted. Can't confirm there isn't one, but it's extremely unlikely. But what is likely, based on previous OS settups, are independents with strange/crazy roles or win conditions.

3. It's probably useless to try and guess the setup beyond something basic until more roles are revealed, and even then it'd be difficult. We normally frown on it.

4. Dgames has a very small group of players, we've been playing with each other for years (as Spak said, he's been with us for 2 years and still one of the newer members), so we unfortunately use a lot of meta. Seeing so many new people will be exciting. I've never played mafia on another site so I for one am very interested to see how I do.

mpolo wrote:My power involves re-arranging of targets and powers. I withheld on N0 in the hope of other powers getting solid results. However, with one redirection power in play, it is possible that there are more of them.

Sounds like a bus driver, which is not a pro-town role. I see no strong reason for him to roleclaim this. So please explain why you felt the need to out yourself so early?

Vote: Mpolo

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:35 am UTC

Welcome Smashboarders! First of all, I’m sure you want to hear about me me me! I prefer female pronouns. I’ve been playing mafia for almost four years, on this site only. But I didn’t play too often for the first few years, so I don’t have as much mafia playing experience as many of the others. I live in Southern California and work a regular 9-5 job, and I don’t play at work. If deadline falls when I am at work I will do the best I can to check the thread and change my vote if needed, but I can’t guarantee that I will have the opportunity.

Clearly the only logical choice. Scum-points to the first player who guesses the reason. :D
As much as I would like to earn some scum points from you, I’m not following your logic. Care to enlighten me?

Peaceful Whale wrote:Ooh, everyone should look at me then! I was scum last time (second game), pretended to be noob, and made it to LOL! (lynch or lose)

Now I can't be a noob though, it is my scum meta... which sucks cause I am actually a noob.
What do you mean by “pretended to be a noob”… “I am actually a noob”? IGMEOY Peaceful Whale.

Peaceful Whale wrote:I'm going to suck this game, I don't understand any of the flavor. I don't know any comics and stuff, hardly recognize anyone in the picture, and had to Google my character. :cry:
There has been no indication that flavor knowledge is necessary, or even helpful, for this game. There is no long flavor-heavy opening post. In fact, it has been denied by the mod.
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Flavor: Video games crossover. No need to be familiar with flavor.

#HBC | Zyth wrote:Hi guys, as YOLO stated, my name is Zen. It will just be easier if you refer to me as Zyth though. When I tried making an account it kept saying that I was a spammer >_>. Anyways, I'm Dgames' best player. I've won 90% of the games that I've been town and I usually have most of the scum team pinned down by the end of D1, usually within their first few posts. (For example, Peaceful Whale is scum). At my worst, though it can take up through Day 2.
Hi Zyth (Zen)! There have been some issues with new user registrations since July. You also need to make five approved posts before you can post links, which may be why your posts were flagged as spam (posts in certain subforms, like the mafia subforum, do not increase your post count). Try making five posts in this thread. If that doesn’t work, and if you like our community and decide to stick around, I’m sure the forum moderators can help you get your account cleared so that you can post as the username of your choice.

Thanks for pointing out your town win rate. So what’s your win percentage as scum? Or was the purpose of that post just to declare your townines?

mpolo wrote:My power involves re-arranging of targets and powers. I withheld on N0 in the hope of other powers getting solid results. However, with one redirection power in play, it is possible that there are more of them.
Why the power claim? Or are you also just trying to claim town? (And mpolo, good luck on Wednesday.)

Peaceful Whale, interesting (over)reaction here. It’s D1, page 1, and you have 1/20 votes.

Peaceful Whale wrote:(Like I said, I'm a noob)
Thanks for the second helpful reminder!

Sabrar wrote:
Peaceful Whale wrote:Time for a reads list!!! :P

Town:
PW

Not-So-Sure:
Everyone else

Now this is scummy.
Interesting. All the scummy things Peaceful Whale has posted and you pick this.

FrozenFlame, thanks for the quick overview of Overswarm’s games, as I’m not familiar with them. I love setup spec and my initial guess, were this an xkcd mod, would be 13-3-3-1 or 13-4-1-1-1. But in light of your post, I’m going to think about it a little and maybe come back to this later.

FrozenFlame wrote:

Pretty lost here unless you've somehow become privy to an SWF inside joke re: historical regularities that occur to my slot
:lol: :lol: :lol: (insert xkcd inside joke here regarding bessie’s slot)

#HBC | Zyth wrote:Scum can't be misguided because they'd know you aren't scum. Pretty straight forward.
Why? We could have two scum teams.

Peaceful Whale wrote:Yep Zyth, all of a sudden you randomly voted for huery.
Not true. I think Zyth explained that this was not a random vote.

Gamma Emerald wrote:@Zyth: I think his main issue is being called scum not being scumread. He just used bad wording.
Why not let heuristically_alone explain his issue himself?

Peaceful Whale wrote:Well, there's another vote for me. I should just pretend I'm scum, it appears I'm more towny then. :cry:

Peaceful Whale wrote:Not scum, you'll regret lynching me.
Is that four or five reminders to everyone that you’re newbie town? I’m losing count.

Maven89 wrote:4. Dgames has a very small group of players, we've been playing with each other for years (as Spak said, he's been with us for 2 years and still one of the newer members), so we unfortunately use a lot of meta. Seeing so many new people will be exciting. I've never played mafia on another site so I for one am very interested to see how I do.
It’s very similar here. we’re a pretty small group and some of the players are quite good at meta reading others.

More in a bit. My husband and my puppy are barking for their dinner.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:22 am UTC

Hello XKCD. This is Ranmaru from Dgames. Catching up shortly. I highly implore everyone to be concise as possible. I don't want to have plenty of walls, it makes it harder to read the thread. If you really need to, please use a spoiler. I am a he.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:23 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:Vote: FrozenFlame

I want you to expand on this. How does FrozenFlame relate to the mechanics? What was the reason?

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:26 am UTC

SirGabriel wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:For example, Peaceful Whale is scum

Interesting. Is Zyth serious about this, or is this just an SDK-style gambit?

What is your motivation in posting this post? If it was a gambit, why would you point it out before he's produced any results?

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:36 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
Peaceful Whale wrote:Now this is scummy.

This is scum. Vote: Sabrar

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:41 am UTC

Sabrar mentions that Peace Whale's reads list is scummy, but he doesn't vote him. He asks Zen a question about his vote on Peace Whale, but he never follows up. He drops his vote at the end. He doesn't care to actually find scum, nor does he care about what Zen's answer to his question would be.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:22 am UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:This is scum. Vote: Sabrar
Just for that I'm not going to refrain from my usual wall-of-texts and will over-explain a lot of things because clearly we're used to different conventions. You've been warned.

Return to “Mafia”