Crossover Mafia | Game!

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

mpolo

Re: Crossover Mafia | D1 Begins! | 9/13

Postby mpolo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:21 pm UTC

O.K. Point taken on SirGabriel's claim. I'm not 100% certain I can make use of it (will have to clarify the meaning of "target" in relation to my ability to see if he has essentially given me a weak vig kill, assuming he is telling the truth).
Image <-- Evil experiment

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:33 pm UTC

What have people been up to since my reads list? (from the bottom to the top)

Dark Horse: nothing (new) lynch target depending on the mod answer
Red Ryu: has an irl reason for his current lack of posting but early posts are stilll the worst. Still my top lynch target if we can’t count on DH being replaced.
SirGabriel: Ugh, stupid survivor. Don’t like those in endgame, too kingmakey. Let’s drop this bomb on scum. Jimbob makes a good point about the wincon but SirGabriel’s survival becomes less easy when we try to redirect the scum kill to the bomb. Now mpolo’s claim became much less helpful to town than he probably initially intended.
Gamma Emerald: The role-fishing on madge really didn’t help his case. Maven’s expression of disgust was spot on. Has been lurking it out since then. I could lynch this guy.

The fact that DGames seems to have had some problems with lurker scum teams makes me more confident that RR and GE are scum.

Znirk: Two more posts. There’s nothing objectionable in those posts. The subtle: ‘does scum have daychat?’ question is maybe slightly suspicious but far from enough on it’s own. The rest of his posts are pretty light. He moves up the list a little as I would no longer be fine with his lynch.

FrozenFlame:
FrozenFlame wrote:Probably a case of me just not liking the slot and then turning that into a scumread subconciously
Right back at you. He makes some good points but for some reason I get a scummy vibe. I don't want to lynch him but I definitely don't trust him.

FrozenFlame wrote:Peaceful whale I mostly just think is either noob scum or will just be a horrible liability in end game anyway (too pliable and eager to please others, likely an easy target for scum manipulation if town)
Evil George Washington wrote:Maven, when you get the chance, vote Boomfrog with me. Same thing to Peace Whale. Vote Boomfrog. I'm going to sleep.
The very next post:
Peaceful Whale wrote:... I like your reasoning, but I'm worried about being misled by scum, or voting a townie... I do think voting the lurker is a good idea, only if they don't get replaced... (I don't really like how you just told me to vote for boomfrog, I saw your reasoning, but I like to wait a little) voting boomfrog could put pressure on her/him... I'll try, but if it turns out boomfrog is town, I'll be angry/sad. Also you'd be placed on the scum list.

Here goes nothing.

Vote Boomfrog
I see what you mean by liability, FF :shock:

Zyth: I like his big post on Sabrar and I really like this post. I’d expect scum to keep these observations quiet (what I was about to accuse bessie of here).

plytho wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote: @plytho, this answers your question as well. Let me know if it clears it up.
It does, thanks.

Wait,
#HBC | Zyth wrote:h_a is scummy, but not sure fire. If it were up to me, we'd just lynch the person I want to immediately.

it doesn’t. How did you say it?
#HBC | Zyth wrote:Chuckling at your inability to just give me a straight answer.
You’re being deliberately vague for some reason that I haven’t figured out. It feels like you’ve given me a riddle to solve.

I was going to move Zyth to townie neutral but now I’m just confused. How strong is that scum tell that can wait until near the end of the day?

More to follow later.

I have an unanswered question for bessie in this post. I also refer everyone thinking I’m scummy for my early defense of PW to that post.

Btw: I agree with bessie re: early claims: I think the claimers (Madge and mpolo) are probably town, but I don’t think they’re helping town with their claims.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:35 pm UTC

Let's see if I can do some more player reads - I don't feel comfortable not having a clue about most people, and my general feeling isn't strong enough on those I've labelled scum for my own comfort, so I'm going to look at those a bit more now. If I come across anything I need to respond to, I will, but otherwise, please re-highlight anything that I haven't done so - it will save me having to scroll back through to find these things.

moody: A lot more active than in previous games, I feel. However, most of it is responses to other people asking him questions, without a huge amount of unprovoked content, in my opinion, which revises my opinion of him downward from my original thought of feeling okay with him. As pointed out elsewhere, moody posting a reads list early is quite normal, so that was a silly comment to make by me then. He also seems to have been unduly focused on setup. His reads list is very light on scum opinions (three slight/very slight scum leans), and I'm not seeing any significant efforts to scum hunt currently (I admit that I'm not in a great place to make that statement).

@moody - do you have an explanation for your more frequent posting than I think is typical from you? Do you have any updates on who you find scummy, with more reasoning than last time?

SirGabriel: plytho's response to SirG re. his claim is basically mine, but here's a little thought I just had: SirG's claim reminds me quite a bit of MMM1, where SDK the Serial Killer pretended to be a role that would negatively impact the side that killed him (he was lying). SirG's is confirmed as such (so not lying, assuming nobody else is actually GLaDOS), and a Serial Killer needs to survive to win, so yeah, it fits fairly neatly with what he said, and has reasonable motivation behind it. His other actions backup the typical indie "disinterested in the game" point of view, but could just as easily be coming from scum faking a reason not to scum hunt.

#HBC | Red Ryu: nothing new to say here - he hasn't attempted to significantly scum hunt, only putting the pressure on Peaceful Whale and not bothering to look elsewhere. He has claimed RL issues, so I'd like to see an update from him, but it better be more than a few more questions. I think somebody once pointed out that players who mostly only ask questions are usually scum, since they look like they're contributing without actually saying anything themselves.

Out of time now. My read on plytho still needs reviewing, but I do want to say that I added him to the scum pile for the whole discussion over Peaceful Whale's claim. More on that later hopefully, as after a bit of thinking about it, I think that it could be coming from a townie perspective actually.

I'm now happy to lynch any of SirG/moody/Red Ryu.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:43 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'm now happy to lynch any of SirG/moody/Red Ryu.

Are you the first or the last vote to lynch SirG? :D

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:54 pm UTC

Sabrar, I am starting to agree with you on Spak. I would have expected his catchup to be done and be more thorough and active.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:16 pm UTC

plytho wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'm now happy to lynch any of SirG/moody/Red Ryu.

Are you the first or the last vote to lynch SirG? :D
Can I volunteer moody to be the first to vote and Red Ryu to be the hammer (or vice versa)? :P But see, this is exactly the problem with this situation. Nobody is going to voluntarily kill/hammer/probably even vote for SirG, so his survival is almost guaranteed, unless somebody can correctly predict who the scum killer is and redirect accordingly.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:21 pm UTC

plytho wrote:I think the claimers (Madge and mpolo) are probably town, but I don’t think they’re helping town with their claims.

Given my role is a real role (you need to get N/2 votes to activate each of your three powers: X1, X2 and X3) - how would you play it if you'd gotten it?

I see three possible strategies:

1) Assume you're vanilla town and if you happen to get a half-wagon on you, great! You might get to use X1 or even X2, but X3 (the best power) will likely be out of reach

2) Act scummy in the hopes of getting some votes

3) Tell everyone your power so they can give you N/2 votes if they choose to

I mean, there's different ways to do 3 (basically, how much detail you go into: "I want votes (but not saying how many)" VS "I want N/2 votes", detailing exactly how many powers you have and how much detail you give on powers; claiming the role after a few days), but I think if you're going to do 3 you need to do it D1 because that's when peoples' votes are most tentative, so it's probably your most likely day to activate X1

Like, I am honestly genuinely curious to anyone, if you wouldn't do some variation of 3) - why? I can see a super awesome scumhunter going for 1) because they know they can help town by not bringing attention to themselves, but I'm not a scumhunter, I'm a claim analyser / power thinker-abouter / etc, and not having access to my power puts me at a huge disadvantage because it gives me less access to game info. It's part of the reason I don't like playing games where there's a chance of being vanilla, because I lose part of the stuff that I enjoy (POWERS and STRATEGY). Hope that makes sense.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:26 pm UTC

Frozen Flame get at my question I asked earlier please. Also give me a reads list.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:26 pm UTC

Znirk: lurking, not that actively. Apart from the introduction his first post is just fluff-questions and the second is not much better either. Some light comments without much explanation and the 'does scum have daychat' question that we all love. I'm not a fan of unspecified pings but as his approach to the game is the opposite of mine I cannot really fault him on that. Plus he later clarifies one of them. After some back and forth his analysis of plytho arrives at a 'safe' destination of "I don't know", possibly waiting to see for the general consensus on him. Overall my main problem with him is lack of content plus some small pings that might not mean anything. Slight scum-lean for lurking.

Preliminary ordered list while these are fresh in my mind:

TOWN
Madge
Evil George Washington
bessie
Maven
FrozenFlame
Zen
mpolo
heuristically_alone
Spak
BoomFrog
Red Ryu
Znirk
Gamma Emerald
jimbob
moody
SCUM

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:36 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Given my role is a real role (you need to get N/2 votes to activate each of your three powers: X1, X2 and X3) - how would you play it if you'd gotten it?

Spoiler:
I see three possible strategies:

1) Assume you're vanilla town and if you happen to get a half-wagon on you, great! You might get to use X1 or even X2, but X3 (the best power) will likely be out of reach

2) Act scummy in the hopes of getting some votes

3) Tell everyone your power so they can give you N/2 votes if they choose to

I mean, there's different ways to do 3 (basically, how much detail you go into: "I want votes (but not saying how many)" VS "I want N/2 votes", detailing exactly how many powers you have and how much detail you give on powers; claiming the role after a few days), but I think if you're going to do 3 you need to do it D1 because that's when peoples' votes are most tentative, so it's probably your most likely day to activate X1

Like, I am honestly genuinely curious to anyone, if you wouldn't do some variation of 3) - why? I can see a super awesome scumhunter going for 1) because they know they can help town by not bringing attention to themselves, but I'm not a scumhunter, I'm a claim analyser / power thinker-abouter / etc, and not having access to my power puts me at a huge disadvantage because it gives me less access to game info. It's part of the reason I don't like playing games where there's a chance of being vanilla, because I lose part of the stuff that I enjoy (POWERS and STRATEGY). Hope that makes sense.

Yours is definitely a better reason to claim than mpolo's 'there may be redirectors'. I think I'd probably do 1, but N/2 is a bunch of votes to accidentally get. I'd stay the hell away from 2. If the powers are sufficiently cool I guess might go for 3 instead of 1 and earlier is better there. Consider my criticism retracted for your case. I still support it in general though.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:39 pm UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:Your alignment has no influence in how I read MPOLO's alignment. He is null individually. What's the purpose in you asking this question?

I figured you were accusing me of being naive about mpolo in order to defend him.

Sabrar wrote:WTF? Bomb that kills everyone on the lynch? Or is it just the person who hammers?

The one time I've been in a game with something like that, it was just the hammerer.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@moody - do you have an explanation for your more frequent posting than I think is typical from you? Do you have any updates on who you find scummy, with more reasoning than last time?

I had noticed I'm a bit more chatty than usual. This is my first big game back after a forced hiatus, so I'm mostly glad to be back.

Going to update my stale reads sometime today.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:23 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:I figured you were accusing me of being naive about mpolo in order to defend him.

What made you think that?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:29 pm UTC

@Evil George Washington: in your read list you have Znirk twice (both as null with explanation and null in the bottom list) however Spak does not appear. Assuming that the second Znirk was supposed to be Spak how come you made that mistake given that you seem to know his play-style?

FrozenFlame

Re: Crossover Mafia | N0

Postby FrozenFlame » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:41 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
FrozenFlame wrote:I can safely say that the chance of there being cancerous degenerate roles in this game is near zero. That means no lazy, bullshit, kingmakery, or otherwise toxic wastes of slots like survivors, jesters, lynchers, etc.

Your comment please.

welp.jpg

Guess I look pretty dumb here seeing as how we now have a claimed survivor. Guess my only defense is that it seems like this is not your typical survivor role. SirG alluded that he has multiple wincon triggers, or more specifically that he has a "survive" condition and it sounded like atleast one other. My guess is that he isn't telling us everything about his role and that this "survivor" role's wincon doesn't revolve as heavily around merely surviving as we might think. But clearly whatever he needs to do takes time, else the mods wouldn't have given the slot the bomb effect to deter the group from just offing the slot right away by forcing a trade. Whatever SIrG is up to though, it certainly must be deleterious on some level to the town. I'd be shocked if OS/marshy/rajam allowed for some shitty passive kingmakery independant role to be in game, especially a kingmakery role that is very difficult to remove from the game without eating a punish.

BoomFrog wrote:Frozenflame - Does gross af mean scummy or just literally gross? I'm assuming the latter. Anyway, I still don't like the thing with PW, but I agree with his reads list and almost everything else he says. - Begrudging slight town lean

It's actually the former. I thought his rhetoric was scummy i.e. all the flair added to the "putting words in my mouth" claim. I basically feel the same as Sabrar re: that comment

Sabrar wrote:- It's a personal thing, but I don't like the "And not the yummy sweet kind that tastes of cotton candy." part of it. It bothers me.

plytho wrote:
SirGabriel wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Based on what has been said about setup, I very much doubt that SirG is being truthful about his win condition. A straight-up survivor is at odds with the belief of DGamers on its own, but combine that with an automatic mod-announced protection, it really doesn't seem right. And he has an alternative win condition? The survivor bit on its own seems way too easy to achieve, so having two options is even sillier.

Yeah, I thought it was weird too. But why would I falseclaim such an easy wincon?
Because that way we're not worried about your actual wincon?

holy fuck plytho with the micdrop of the day

but seriously anyone who thinks SirG is being 100% open and honest with us needs to check their naivete

Evil George Washington wrote:
Evil George Washington wrote:
FrozenFlame wrote:This is some uncharacteristic early aggression from you Ran. I'm gonna play the you here and ask you to elaborate on this

No, this is in character for me. I elaborated in my post after voting. How is this different from how I usually open early game? Funnily enough, I see you being more active then usual. I'm glad to see that.
This post FrozenFlame. Respond to it please.
Evil George Washington wrote:Frozen Flame get at my question I asked earlier please. Also give me a reads list.

My point wasn't re: you voting or your explanation after. It was really the style of the your reaction and subsequent vote in that short post. Basically I don't think I've ever seen you respond to a post with just "This is scum" followed immediately by a vote with no other included explanation or discussion. It just seemed like a hard read and high degree of confidence in the vote without feeling the need to explain it right away that I found uncharacteristic. I know you wouldn't shy away from accusing/voting for someone you think is scummy in the early game, but that post in particular where you voted for just didn't read like a Ran post at all. The sharp definitive tone just stuck me as odd.

If I missed responding to anyone else who called for something from me I apologize for missing it, please requote or something and I'll get @ you asap

As far as where I'm at, my prior list of best plays IMO still stands with only a few minor adjustments:

Plytho a feel a little bit better about mostly because he's not trying to buddy me after my accusation of him. This stands in contrast to Boomfrog I kind of feel was trying to buddy me after I put him on my list of possible plays. So at this point I think I'm willing to take plytho off the plays list to help narrow focus. Also SirG can come off for now because I doubt anyone wants to eat a bomb on D1, we'll just need to figure out a way to deal with that slot as we move along. And znirk actually showed up so he can come out of the inactive lynchpool

Otherwise I still think any of the following are fine plays:

Red Ryu
Gamma Emerald
Boomfrog
Dark Horse
Peaceful Whale
Jimbobmcdoodle
Heuristically alone

I've mostly only been able to skim the bigger posts but I've gotten through all the content that's been posted from Sunday to now so if people are looking for any specific opinions of mine on any given interaction ask away and I should be able to put something together for ya while I'm at work. But generally I think people need to start voting so we can see what plays are actually viable at this point and we can really started weeding out commonalities between our scum pings. This is a huge game and we need to be cognizant that though of course micro scale scum hunting on a slot by slot basis is always key, we need to be disciplined about mobilizing the group well before deadline because this is a majority lynch game and we can't just fuck around until the last second and expect plurality to let us lazily secure half assed lynches in the early game

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 pm UTC

Sabrar: I was trying to list everyone at the top of my head for the null list at the bottom. Both Spak and Znirk were null, I just happened to mention him in my reads because I liked his intro post.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:47 pm UTC

Also that means Znirk was supposed to be Znirk, I simply forgot about Spak.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:31 pm UTC

@Evil George Washington: thanks, I'm okay with that.

@FrozenFlame: also thanks. So my view is the following:
There are basically 3 possibilities:
- FrozenFlame was lying about the setup, probably because he also has a degenerate role that he wants to hide. Unlikely as multiple DGamers could have contradicted him.
- FrozenFlame was telling the truth as far as he knew but he was mistaken and OS really included a Survivor. Also unlikely, a mod's preferences do not change overnight.
- FrozenFlame was telling the truth and SirGabriel is lying. Much more likely, claimed role is truly degenerate given mod-confirm and everything.

Also wanted to see how FF reacts and I like what I saw.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:00 pm UTC

Vote Count 1.6
Frozenflame (1): Gamma Emerald
Peaceful Whale (1): Red Ryu
Dark Horse (1): #HBC | Zyth
Madge (2): Madge, SirGabriel
BoomFrog (3): Spak, Evil George Washington, Peaceful Whale
Red Ryu (2): BoomFrog, plytho
jimbobmacdoodle (1): Frozenflame

Not Voting (9): heuristically_alone, Bessie, Dark Horse, Znirk, jimbobmacdoodle, mpolo, Sabrar, moody7277, Maven89

With 20 alive, it takes 11 to lynch!

Deadline Clock: https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/basketball?iso=20170913T235959&p0=198&msg=D1+End&font=sanserif

I have nothing to say regarding Dark Horse at this time.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:04 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:I have nothing to say regarding Dark Horse at this time.
@Anybody who may be familiar with the designers of this game: would it be within the realms of feasibility that Dark Horse has been prevented by some kind of restriction from posting?
BlitzGirl the Primordial

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:09 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:I have nothing to say regarding Dark Horse at this time.
@Anybody who may be familiar with the designers of this game: would it be within the realms of feasibility that Dark Horse has been prevented by some kind of restriction from posting?

In an earlier post yolo said dark horse had been prodded. So probably not a posting restriction.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:22 pm UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:Boomfrog: Is Jimbob not your top pick anymore? You said you were going to let him breathe a bit to see how he would play. What did you expect to change?

I'm going to wait on replying to this until after Red Ryu reacts.

@bessie: Take the neutral read as the compliment that it is. Your posts are flawless, I won't get a read on you from reading your posts D1.

@Sabrar, I can understand the Dgamers finding my style scummy but you should know me better then that. My wine this game has been minimal compared to my opening in Dark Tower and I'm always trying to provoke people early game with really pressure (which is why we lynched scum D1 in X-men btw, so although you don't like it you have to admit it gets results). I've actually been fairly laid back this game since Zyth then EGW have been drumming up content, I haven't had to.

Give me one specific thing that you still feel was a mistake in my play.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:34 pm UTC

plytho wrote:
Sabrar wrote:Where did I comment that you should have remembered it?

I don't know, you'll have to ask Zyth :D
I just found it strange that your answer didn't match the question.
Why didn't you answer Zyth's question with "Where did I comment that plytho should have remembered it?"?

Sabrar wrote:Because I misread the question as 'why is it that you would remember the post and plytho would not'

lol what I'm saying is this.

>Frozen agrees with Sabrar's reasoning for not liking Whale's joke list (referring to the post from the previous game).
>In the same post, Frozen berates plytho for his own interpretation of the reference. It was clear that it (whal'es post) was a joke though and Frozen himself admits this in the very same post.

The post I'm referring to (bolded is mine):
FrozenFlame wrote:
Sabrar wrote:@FrozenFlame: what was your reason in agreeing with me? It must differ from mine.

Mostly just thought it was lazy "jokey" posturing. More of a noob tell than anything but you linking that behavior to past scum games only bolsters my apprehension here. Like what does he contribute by posting a read list saying lulz I'm town and herpa derpa idk about the rest of you? It seems like he's trying to force some levity or something which makes me think he feels uncomfortable and that he needs to be contributing something, yet doesn't make any attempt to scumhunt in those contributions.

plytho wrote:
Sabrar wrote:Yes. With a new player I don't expect a lot of changes overnight in his/her thought patterns so I assume Peaceful Whale's mind was at a similar place as last game when he was scum.
I really don't think so. In the last game he was responding to your comments on his reads list and posted an overly simplified list. This time I think he's just jokingly referring to that. The context is very different.

Really agree with Sabrar here. Plytho, on what basis do you think PW was joking here, and more specifically, how did you come to the conclusion that it was a throwback play on his past scum behavior? I feel like PW didn't even think that much about it, as if it WAS a callback surely he would've pointed it out himself. But he didn't and sabrar is the one calling him out on the meta read. So what about this "context" makes things different exactly?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:42 pm UTC

Day late but reading up.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:49 pm UTC

#HBC | Zyth wrote:The others have posted. SirBariel and Ryu are actively lurking. Dark Horse hasn't shown any signs of intent to play.

Actually thus site is blocked at work and I can't access it at home, also had plans this weekend.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:51 pm UTC

unvote

RVS vote not needed.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:53 pm UTC

bessie wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:@Ninja Spak: Both are influenced by meta reads. They are both players who tend to over share as town and they are both pretty bad at inventing plausible fake claims. Madge is also a bit... mmm... stream of consciousness-y. If she is scum it will probably be pretty obvious soon.
Agree (strongly) on Madge. Agree with sharing part on mpolo. Do not agree that he would be bad at inventing a plausible fake claim, but I can’t think of any game where he has done so.

Question for DGamers: Does Overswarm provide safeclaims to scum?

I like this post by FrozenFlame. Agree with most of it.

Don’t like this post by jimbobmacdoodle.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@bessie - applying pressure is fine, but it has to be for reasonable reasons, in my opinion, or I see it as suspicious. IIRC, EGW applied pressure on Sabrar for scum reads, but not voting (note, this might be slightly incorrect, but that was the gist of it, I believe).

Wording arguments rarely produce any meaningful results, and usually cause mass distraction from useful scum hunting.

I want to address this. Context for reference.
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:Not happy with this post by jimbobmacdoodle.
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Evil George Washington - didn't like his complaint about wall posts, but then his subsequent quick-fire multi-posts (which I don't like personally). I think his pressure on Sabrar is not reasonable, particularly the lack of vote part, given how early in the Day it is.
If applying pressure is unacceptable, what would you consider reasonable D1 content?

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Gamma Emerald - suggests mpolo to be a safe lynch. Seems a bit random a comment, if I'm honest. Not sure, but perhaps trying to plant an idea in town's mind, that we should lynch him, but without pushing too much?
I don’t understand your comment. Gamma Emerald did more than plant an idea, he straight out said mpolo would be a safe lynch. Are you trying to plant an idea about Gamma Emerald?

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:#HBC | Zyth - As noted above, I like what bessie and others(?) have said about his opening post basically trying to announce he is town, but without explicitly saying it. Semi-subtle manipulation attempt? He also seems to be jumping on minor bits of terminology and blowing them out of proportion (see heuristically_alone initial vote reasoning).
And what’s wrong with jumping on minor bits of terminology and blowing them out of proportion? You just described the greater part of my playstyle. :D

To begin with, you didn’t answer the first question. If applying pressure is unacceptable, what would you consider reasonable D1 content? Your answer, applying pressure is fine, but it has to be for reasonable reasons, is a restatement of the question.

Moving on to the third part of that quote, let’s say I strongly disagree. Scum can and do get caught based on a careless sentence or even a misplaced word. See this example. jimbob made a “throwaway” remark about changing the setup. I accused him of knowing more than he should about the setup, and this contributed to me tunneling on him all of D1. Maybe that isn’t the best example, but I don’t want to get too distracted looking up old games. Suggestions for further reading: SDK is famous for picking out scum based on their confirmation posts.

Maven89 wrote:It's midnight where I am and I just got home, I managed to skim through what's been posted, I'll post something. Of value tomorrow, but until then, unvote:power whale or whatever, the whale guy. I'll post more about his read list tomorrow, but if he keeps up with what he just did then I will oppose his lynch day 1. If anyone still wants to lynch him speak up now
Very interested in your follow up to this.

Madge. :lol: I’ll think about it, but since we need to hammer, ensuring a lynch comes first.

Re: lurkers/modprods/replacements. Normal xkcd method is the lurker has 24ish hours to respond to the modprod. If the lurker fails to respond or has multiple prods, they are replaced or modkilled. To avoid modkills, a mod will often allow zombie replacements (a dead player is allowed to replace if they have no extra information meaning they are town/non mason and they haven’t read spoilers in the Gojoe thread). I know YOLOSWAG is very against zombie replacements (see discussion with mpolo regarding zombie replacements here and this). Note: see opening post for how replacements will be handled this game. There is one replacement available (I’m not sure where plytho got two).

If Dark Horse doesn’t post soon, I think that it would be reasonable to request mod clarification on how they intend to handle it.

Even outside of OS when has a mod on Dgames not provided a safe claim of some sort?

Is Dark Horse inactive a solid direction in your eyes?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:01 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'm struggling to even keep up with others' posts, let alone post anything meaningful, but here's another late night brief post to respond to a couple of things:

@bessie - applying pressure is fine, but it has to be for reasonable reasons, in my opinion, or I see it as suspicious. IIRC, EGW applied pressure on Sabrar for scum reads, but not voting (note, this might be slightly incorrect, but that was the gist of it, I believe).

Wording arguments rarely produce any meaningful results, and usually cause mass distraction from useful scum hunting.

I can't remember what else others wanted me to respond to, so will have to look back later.

I'm in agreement with those who dislike Red Ryu's lack of content. He clearly has had time to post, but nothing has changed from my early comment on him about not putting in effort. If anything, the point has been reinforced by his subsequent posts.

@Red Ryu - please pick a number of players and post your thoughts on them, with reasoning.

@FrozenFlame - I felt that my more recent comments on Peaceful Whale kind of half answered your question. I wanted to see more from him to try to judge. Also, with time so short for me, I don't have time to respond to every accusation that might be thrown my way (or even really any) - I'd rather use that time to try to gather my thoughts on other players, so that I can make some informed reads. How would you prioritise your time if you were in my situation?

When I get to a comp I'll give a full list.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:05 pm UTC

I agree with Zen in the sense that I don't see Dark Horsexas inactive scummy versus just not playing. So Ran, I'm curious as to why in particular you singled that slot out.

@Frozenflame can you explain your noob scum read in Whale? I will not argue the liability angle but I read more town being goofy than scum. It's very laid back but doesn't look like an act to me.

Let me find those claims that were posted earlier, and what Frog did with his wagon.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:10 pm UTC

Madge wrote:OKAY, so, this whole "topic reply notification emails not working" thing and a busy day yesterday means I have 5 pages to catch up on are you friggin' serious??? So I basically skimmed the whole thread. I'm hoping to keep better track of it, but the email bug is really screwing me over.

Anyway, I'm not gonna lie. This post sucks. I just haven't had time to actually read anything closely. I've got stuff to do today but don't want to let the thread run even MORE away from me. i'll try and be better - we'll see =/

Oh, and I generally don't like to do reads. I don't get anything out of them because I"m bad at scumhunting and they take me a hell of a lot of time. Once we have some good data - flips, night results (anyone in a sharing mood rn?) - then I'll be ready to find contradictions and all that fun stuff. But until then, I kind of suck.

Expect a post from me every day or so. Last week at work was kind of madness but hopefully next week will be better, because if I have another "madness" week then I'm going to really struggle to keep up with the thread.

firstly: I am, apparently, a "half-jester" so can I please have people vote for me at the end of the day? I have a power that only activates when at the end of the day, I have at least half of the votes required to lynch on me. I can only use it three times, and it gets more powerful each time, so I want to get some "easy" uses out of it. So I need 6 votes at the end of the day today. (In practise I think this is going to be a hard thing to do, because it basically requires 25% of players to be voting for me instead of someone who is actually scummy).

If you're voting for me to activate my ability, please make sure you don't let me get too close to lynch - scum can hammer me after all. Also, if the majority think it's a bad idea (because... you know, of everything I've said so far), then we won't do it. It doesn't affect my wincon, it just allows me to be more useful to town by having my powers available.

I want to lynch you outright for this claim.

I follow a strict lynch all indies policy in forum mafia versus epic mafia where those claim are harder to fake.

Why would you claim this d1 as an Indy?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:13 pm UTC

I got a fairly unhelpful answer about what "target" means when affecting the GladOS (i.e. players will not be told the mechanics). But I at least have that possibility in the back of my mind if we find a need to try to take out SirG. Though it might take me out as well.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:15 pm UTC

[url]Red Ryu[/url]: I remember replacing his scum slot (I forget which game) and didn't remember him replacing out as town. Plus I don't like that he hasn't been vocal about not wanting to play if he viewed the game. He knows it is ongoing. Still my choice for lurker lynch.

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:18 pm UTC

#HBC | Red Ryu wrote:Why would you claim this d1 as an Indy?

I Madge is claiming town with a jester like mechanic. Not a jester wincon.

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:21 pm UTC

EBWOP: I think

On the other hand: could a wincon of getting half the votes three times be a thing?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:23 pm UTC

Evil George Washington wrote:[url]Red Ryu[/url]: I remember replacing his scum slot (I forget which game) and didn't remember him replacing out as town. Plus I don't like that he hasn't been vocal about not wanting to play if he viewed the game. He knows it is ongoing. Still my choice for lurker lynch.

He's not Soup about it where he tries to claim he only replaces out as town and then uses it as a "tactic" That is a lot more gross in my eyes. If he doesn't post he will be replaced.

Vote: Maggie

I gotta go will read up on Boomfrog when I get back. I don't know how many indies DGames has been boned by before they realize all indie claims should die.

Whale is goofy town.
Feel good about Zen and FF, possibly Spak as well.

Will need a closer read on everyone else when I get home tonight with a read list.

Can someone help me on mobile grabbing what Frog did in regards to the Indy claim?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Postby #HBC | Red Ryu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:23 pm UTC

plytho wrote:EBWOP: I think

On the other hand: could a wincon of getting half the votes three times be a thing?

There are.

It's a variant of Warlock/Politican.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:39 pm UTC

Sweet, Ryu is scum.

#HBC | Zyth

Postby #HBC | Zyth » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:46 pm UTC

If Spak doesn't start posting, he needs to be the D1 lynch.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:22 pm UTC

I realized that I asked the wrong question -- as it is possible to target GladOS with a non-killing power, I could theoretically use my power against it if that were to town's advantage.

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:22 pm UTC

#HBC | Zyth wrote:Sweet, Ryu is scum.
Why?
#HBC | Zyth wrote:If Spak doesn't start posting, he needs to be the D1 lynch.
For someone has decided there's only one person they'll lynch today you sure seem to change your mind a lot.

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:25 pm UTC

Red Ryu what's your read on me? Boomfrog, can you answer now that Red Ryu posted?

Return to “Mafia”