Newbie New Year Mafia - D5

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

wam

Newbie New Year Mafia - D5

Postby wam » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:35 pm UTC

Newbie New Year Mafia

It was new years eve, end of a very stressful year and all the members of the mafia forum had gathered to let off steam and introduce the newbies around! Unfortunately this years gathering had been infiltrated by the Mob.

Standard Rules:
Spoiler:
1. Do not talk about the game outside of this thread, apart from a properly labeled spoiler in the discussion thread.
2. Please stay on topic at all times.
3. Lurking is frowned upon; if you need to drop out, please let me know as soon as possible. If someone feels that another player isn't contributing to game play, please make the mods aware. If replacements cannot be found, modkills will be handed out without regard to balance.
4. If you aren't part of this game, please do not post in the thread.
5. Once it is nighttime, do not post in the thread.
6. You may not quote the contents of any PM related to this game, but you can paraphrase.
7. If you have been killed in game, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," which reveals no information. Or something along those lines, without giving out any information or hints to anyone still playing.
8. You may not edit your posts unless explicitly told to do so by the mod (which is not in any way expected to happen).
9. You cannot ruin the game for other players.
10. You must play to achieve your current win condition.
11. Please make an effort to include the mods on all PMs. Mistakes happen but make me aware if they do.
12. All votes must be bolded and on a separate line. Unvotes are preferred but not required. If I miss something, let us know.

Game Specific Rules (IMPORTANT: Please Read):

1. In general, days will last for 7 days. Nights will last for 24 hours assuming we have processed all night actions. Weekends will count as 1 day. Adjustments will be made to accommodate holidays, or for other reasons if the mods deem it necessary.

2. You may post in thread during the day phase but not the night phase. It is night as soon as the mod posts a day-end post, or a hammer vote is cast, in which case it is automatically night, whether or not a mod has made a day-end post. Note that this means you may not post content after a hammer vote.

3. Do not lurk! One post per real-life day is the recommended minimum. Consideration will be given for weekends and holidays. If you are going to be away for an extended period, please let us know. Otherwise, you will be prodded after 48 hours of inactivity. Failure to respond to a prod within 48 hours will result in a replacement or modkill.

4. You may not use encryption systems in order to communicate privately or circumvent these rules.

5. In the event of a tied vote, the result will be No Lynch. Players may choose to vote No Lynch instead of casting a normal vote. If there is a tied vote between a player and No Lynch, then it is a No Lynch.

6. Please send your night action via PM. It is your responsibility to ensure that your night action is submitted on-time.

7. You can change your night action at any time up until the end of the night.

8. This setup is semi-open, as stated below.

9. Roles and alignments have been randomly assigned.

10. All private communications between players are Daychat.

11. We will announce MMYLO (maybe MYLO) and LLYLO (likely LYLO). These conditions will be announced solely based on the number of players remaining in the game and will not take into account any powers or potential interactions between them.

Setup

It is 9 town, 3 mafia.

The town has both a doctor and a cop. If the doctor is effective the cop is naive (always gets a result of “Your target is town”). If the cop is sane, the doctor is ineffective. Effectiveness and sanity have been determined randomly.

The town has both a watcher and a tracker. If the watcher is sane the tracker is ineffective (always gets a result of “Your target did not visit anyone”). If the tracker is sane the watcher is ineffective (always gets a result of “Your target did not have any visitors”). Effectiveness and sanity have been determined randomly.

Players

Spoiler:
flicky1991
Peaceful Whale
somitomi
LaserGuy
Hari Seldon
Vicarin
Sabrar
Jimbobmacdoodle
BoomFrog
moody7277/Madge
bessie
cemper93/MasterOfAll

Sample Vanilla Town Role PM

Spoiler:
It’s been a long year, and still these mob guys think they can push around innocent townies. It’s time they learned differently.

You are vanilla town and have no powers. You win when all threats to town are eliminated.

Sample Mafia Goon Role PM

Spoiler:
Another year, another racket. These uppity townies need to start showing some respect.

You are a mafia goon with XXX and XXX, you have night chat in this quick topic. LINK. Once per night, one of you may kill another player by submitting their name to the mods. Whoever submits the kill PM will carry out the kill (for the purposes of tracker/watcher results)

Note as this is a newbie game, the mods will do their best to answer all questions.

Role PM's are going out now, please confirm when you have yours. I will start the game when most people have confirmed.
Last edited by wam on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:31 pm UTC, edited 9 times in total.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Re: Newbie New Year Mafia

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:50 pm UTC

Confirm.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:11 pm UTC

Confirm

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:19 pm UTC

Fraudrigid.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:28 pm UTC

Woof.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:43 pm UTC

Confirm.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:54 pm UTC

*fwick bzzzzz*
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:14 pm UTC

Confirm.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:45 pm UTC

Confirm.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:35 pm UTC

Confirm.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:54 pm UTC

Uh.. present?
—◯-◯

wam

Postby wam » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:13 pm UTC

10/12 is enough so

Day 1 Starts Now

PS Suzaku will be along with the day start flavour soon!

BoomFrog

Re: Newbie New Year Mafia - D1

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:16 pm UTC

Woof. Woof.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:16 pm UTC

Vote: somitomi

Clearly your hesitation when confirming is suspicious.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:16 pm UTC

Vote: Bessie

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:18 pm UTC

What a cute puppy. This game has even more dogs than usual.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:28 pm UTC

Vote: jimbob

No, I'm not still bitter about last game, why do you ask?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:14 pm UTC

Vote: No Lynch

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 pm UTC

I know someone who is going to get triggered. 8-)

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:35 pm UTC

Thinking about setup a bit.

We have two real PRs and two fake PRs, but can't easily tell the difference. I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile for a single PR to claim, in order to try to figure out which ones work. I think the best approach may be for the cop to claim. Here's the scenario I see:

Cop claims. Doctor protects cop, watcher watches cop, tracker tracks cop. If either doctor/watcher are real, we either block the NK, find scum, or both. If mafia doesn't oblige us with the kill and targets someone else, we can repeat the process subsequent nights, only with the tracker/watcher confirmed. If the cop is real, sooner or later they'll get a guilty and will confirm themself and all of their targets. Worst case scenario is that doctor/watcher are both bad, in which case we lose the cop if scum obliges us with a NK and confirm the tracker as real.

If mafia has some PRs of their own, especially a roleblocker, this could backfire, though. I kind of feel a mafia RB would be unfair in this sort of setup, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

@mod: Will the real tracker/watcher still see a player being visited by one of the naive roles?

If we go through with this, I think we should No Lynch D1.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:36 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:I know someone who is going to get triggered. 8-)

Hate to disappoint my fans.

Vote: LaserGuy
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:41 pm UTC

Since this is a newbie game, just to be clear, no PRs should be claiming unless we collectively decide this is a good idea.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:47 pm UTC

Alternate route:

Tracker claims and claims their target. Doctor protects tracker. Watcher and cop target same person as tracker. If Watcher sees the tracker, then they're real and they know who the cop is.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:54 pm UTC

The clock hit midnight, the lights went down, and the fireworks up. After a great fireworks display you all turned round and ... there was a body.
It could mean only one thing; the mob were here.

Mod Voice On

@mod: Will the real tracker/watcher still see a player being visited by one of the naive roles?

I would assume ‘yes’, but deferred to wam for final confirmation.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:59 pm UTC

I knew going to sleep was a bad idea.

Kind of interesting that it looks like there's absolutely nothing to speculate about roles on the scum side, haven't seen that before in games on here. However, LaserGuy just brought up the possibility, so may as well confirm:

@mod: Are all the mafia vanilla?

Out of those setup possibilities in Laserguy's cop claim strategy, assuming the scum hit the claimed cop, I'd say the cop/tracker pair is a complete disaster, cop/watcher seems not great (basically loses 2 town for 1 mafia), doc/tracker is ok, and doc/watcher is fantastic.

I'm mainly wondering if there's any need for any of the power roles to claim in the first place, as the tracker/watcher dilemma can be solved just by making sure everyone's aiming towards the same person. But there'd have to be some sort of way to agree in thread who to target, and that would be decently manipulable.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:59 pm UTC

yes

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 am UTC

@mod: Are all the mafia vanilla?

Yes.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:38 am UTC

Vote: Sabrar

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:52 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Alternate route:

Tracker claims and claims their target. Doctor protects tracker. Watcher and cop target same person as tracker. If Watcher sees the tracker, then they're real and they know who the cop is.

Or just Tracker claims, Doctor/Watcher target Tracker, I guess. If Mafia doesn't kill the tracker then watcher still sees the doc.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:54 am UTC

First method lets PRs know if they're sane without needing a mass claim though.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:02 am UTC

Usually the PRs would just keep quiet anyway if they don't get a hit, so I'm not sure how this plan actually benefits us much?

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:08 am UTC

I know wam claims that roles have been randomly assigned, but if I was modding a newbie game, I wouldn't do that. I'd pick at least one seasoned player to be on each team. So, therefore, Bessie is confirmed town and BoomFrog is confirmed scum.

Vote: BoomFrog

On a more serious note, I've been trying to read some recent games to get an idea of how some of the newer players' playstyles, but games have gotten long on here. (Whatever happened in Crossover Mafia?) I don't expect that the newbies have a meta yet, so I'm just trying to get a grip on the "players if there is space" category from the sign up thread.

@Sabrar: I don't know you. Do you know the people in this game? If you were scum this game, who would you want to be your partner?

@Jimbob: I don't know you either. Can you link me to your best scum game so far?

Setup spec comes later, I'm pretty drunk right now.

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:10 am UTC

LaserGuy, is that a serious vote on Sabrar? What is your reasoning for it?

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:12 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:Usually the PRs would just keep quiet anyway if they don't get a hit, so I'm not sure how this plan actually benefits us much?

Woof!

Hari Seldon

Postby Hari Seldon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:22 am UTC

I agree that it is not necessary for any of the PRs to claim. We can just agree on a player for Watcher and one of the other PRs to both target.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:16 am UTC

I am mildly worried that BoomFrog seems to be trying to roleplay his new avatar.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:24 am UTC

BoomFrog, any reasons for your vote? Woof? And is that your puppy? :)

Vicarin, welcome to the mafia subforum! Do you have any experience playing mafia? Which games have you read?

cemper93, welcome back, it’s been a long time. IIRC, the last game cemper played here, I was scum.
cemper93 wrote:Setup spec comes later, I'm pretty drunk right now.
Or you could just read the opening post. There’s not much to speculate about, however when wam was discussing possible setups in the Gojoe thread here he mentioned a 50% chance of a miller. Maybe he dropped it when he expanded the setup to 12 players.

I'm against townies claiming on D1.

Vicarin wrote:I am mildly worried that BoomFrog seems to be trying to roleplay his new avatar.
And what's wrong with that? I roleplay my avatar every day.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:27 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:I am mildly worried that BoomFrog seems to be trying to roleplay his new avatar.
I've got no issue with it as long as he responds to questions if he's asked any.

I don't think any PRs should be claiming on D1. It seems like more of a risk than we'd yet need to take. Save it until they have some results to offer.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:32 am UTC

bessie wrote:Vicarin, welcome to the mafia subforum! Do you have any experience playing mafia? Which games have you read?

I've played IRC Mafia a bit a long time ago, but not really on forums, and I've been reading an embarrassingly large number of the games on here because I found them interesting. Mainly the ones that didn't have a final title that spoilt the ending.

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:15 am UTC

bessie wrote:
cemper93 wrote:Setup spec comes later, I'm pretty drunk right now.
Or you could just read the opening post. There’s not much to speculate about, however when wam was discussing possible setups in the Gojoe thread here he mentioned a 50% chance of a miller. Maybe he dropped it when he expanded the setup to 12 players.

Err yeah, when I said "setup spec" I meant "strategy", i. e. whether PR should claim or not. I did, in fact, read the opening post!

bessie wrote:I'm against townies claiming on D1.

I'm inclined to agree. I think that with so many investigative roles, we should get us some results first. I don't think that we need some elaborate scheme to discern who is sane or insane early in the game. This should become clear as the game goes on and results come in anyway.

I might change my mind though depending on something I didn't see in the rules, although maybe I'm blind:

Will we be told the alignment, role and sanity of dead players?

If we can find out if dead players are sane or insane, then PRs should claim to prevent mislynches or if they have useful results, and otherwise not. If we cannot find this out, I might be more supportive of running with one of LaserGuy's plans tomorrow. Either way, I wouldn't want to run with them today, given that the PRs don't have results yet. Therefore, they don't have to know if they're sane or not yet.

Furthermore, if sanity flips on death, the watcher will know their sanity when tracker dies and vice versa. The same is true for doctor and cop. So given that scum have almost a 50% chance (4 out of 9) of killing a PR tonight, it's not unlikely that we will have a PR tomorrow that knows their sanity, even if we do nothing.

Return to “Mafia”