Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - Endgame - Apocalypse

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Sabrar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:15 am UTC

@plytho: are you 100% confident that we will be able to interpret your N1 action/result correctly based on your flip and your hints alone should you get killed N2? I understand why you wouldn't claim yet but I think you should if there's even a tiny bit of doubt.

LaserGuy wrote:and I have a lot of faith in Zen's instincts.
This does not sound like LaserGuy at all. There are 2 problems here, one is that Zen already admitted that a lot of his reads were wrong and the second is (and I mean that in an entirely non-criticizing fashion) that LaserGuy is one of the most stubborn players who often goes against consensus and relies mostly on his own opinions.

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby plytho » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:43 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:@plytho: are you 100% confident that we will be able to interpret your N1 action/result correctly based on your flip and your hints alone should you get killed N2? I understand why you wouldn't claim yet but I think you should if there's even a tiny bit of doubt.

I'll think about this for a bit. Right now I think it will be clear but I have a bit of doubt.

LaserGuy wrote:and I have a lot of faith in Zen's instincts.
This does not sound like LaserGuy at all. There are 2 problems here, one is that Zen already admitted that a lot of his reads were wrong and the second is (and I mean that in an entirely non-criticizing fashion) that LaserGuy is one of the most stubborn players who often goes against consensus and relies mostly on his own opinions.[/quote][quote="Sabrar"] That is a very good point. I was wondering what felt different about LaserGuy this game, he feels milder than usual.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby plytho » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:06 am UTC

Here’s what’s pinging me about what I’m calling the suspicious six:

Bessie: takes a very long time to produce a town-to-scum. This is odd as she’s usually the one pushing for those. It’s also something I noted in secret santa. We’re nearing the end of D2.

Freezeblade: Votes EGW for lurking, but I feel he’s almost as lurky. He promised more about his reads here but hasn’t provided anything yet. His lurk read on EGW feels like he’s avoiding calling EGW scummy, possibly because scum!freezeblade knows EGW isn’t scum?

Vicarin: the blatant role-fishing

Madge: Madge’s voting behaviour after Zen’s light’s out bluff was pinging me somewhat. I don’t think she’s scum with Freezeblade, so if she is scum she used a power that’s noticeably blocked and claimed to draw out a claim from town?

LaserGuy: feels somewhat milder than usual?

Somitomi: completely missed the EGW wagon and had nothing to say about it, apparently. Put EGW as a gut town read D1.

Not included in this list are the fantastic four: Zen, Sabrar, wam, me
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
somitomi
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:21 pm UTC
Location: can be found in Hungary
Contact:

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby somitomi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:22 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:I know that, duh. I'm just wondering how it's done in flavour. If a cop in this involves looking at a registry of people meant to be on the ship (hmmm says here EGW is a killbot maybe we should do something) then safeclaims from scum infiltrating the command structure would actually be 'stronger' than than that, as they're supposed to be on the ship in that case. So I'd think either the cop is 'stronger' in flavour than that, or scum doesn't have good fake claims. Alternatively, there could be just a godfather with a good fake claim by one scum who's infiltrated further, and the rest have worse ones.

I don't think flavour has such a strong influence on how the roles work although there's nothing to rule a naive cop out.
LaserGuy wrote:@Madge, plytho, somitomi: Would like opinions from you on Zen's case.

The first point seems to be a good observation, but the point regarding "perception managing" feels a little.... well forced for lack of a better word. At least I don't see it at all. Besides my opinion on bessie is still better than on Zenii despite the recent improvement of the latter and I definitely wouldn't lynch bessie based on those arguments now. In fact I'm mildly suspicious of you for jumping on the wagon so eagerly.

ninja'd by plytho & Sabrar but I need to leave like five minutes ago
—◯-◯

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Vicarin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:24 am UTC

@Laserguy: I mainly asked about your read of wam just because you said almost nothing about him in your main reads post, and was wondering why.

We've got about 19 hours left today I think, and I'd really prefer if anyone close to being lynched had at least some time to claim, so we should probably be finalizing votes more. Also, a hammer in the last 12 hours ends the day apparently, so be careful about doing that if there's still more to discuss.

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Vicarin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:27 am UTC

Whoops, had the wrong time in my head. 14.5 hours left in the day. I'll be sleeping soon but should be able to be active in the time leading up to the deadline.

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby wam » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:14 pm UTC

I got a no comment to what I would get for a scum result. Also I won't be online at deadline as it's 2 am here.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby plytho » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:33 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:@plytho: are you 100% confident that we will be able to interpret your N1 action/result correctly based on your flip and your hints alone should you get killed N2? I understand why you wouldn't claim yet but I think you should if there's even a tiny bit of doubt.
It's pretty hard to look at my claim from another point of view. Can you summarize what you know from me? I'll try to combine that info with my rolepm and see if that leads to 100% or 99%.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
Zenii
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 am UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Zenii » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:45 pm UTC

bessie wrote:
Zenii wrote:It doesn't have a purpose other than perception management -- or, as Hari put it, "to show that you are 'thinking' about your read".
Re Hari. Yes, I remember what Hari’s said about me. I alluded to it here.
bessie wrote:And I tried to give a read on everyone, not just my scum reads. Hmm.
And it’s been in the back of my mind ever since Newbie New Year, as have been a number of other things related to my gameplay style and my meta. You read the game, and the Gojoe thread.
Yes, I was quite aware that when you made that post, you would attempt to use it as a defense, which I alluded to here:

Subjective, but accurate, Meta Evidence:

Point
It was presented by Hari in NNY that town!bessie doesn't take the time to justify her town reads, but something was left out: she doesn't take the time to directly justify her reevaluations either. She does allude to her position, but that's it. Her Town reads post is NAI, since bessie's lack of tr justification was made public, and she is now apparently attempting to do what she was pushing PW for;

But her vic "reconsideration" post is AI, because she was not aware of this aspect.
You made your post after the fact. That is, after I had called you out. I think you are trying to build up a defense. And are now doing what apparently you found PW scummy for doing.


bessie wrote:
Zenii wrote:Am I misinterpreting?
Perhaps we are disagreeing with what constitutes a push.
Yea I don't think so.

@ALL, I left this out of my summary since I wasn't sure if it was an misunderstanding, but her response here solidifies to me that it wasn't. To recap:

-I say bessie hasn't pushed/interacted with Madge any more than anyone that isn't Vic.
-bessie disagrees.
-I ask her to point out where she has been pushing Madge.
-she says she hasn't been pushing Madge.

I think bessie tried to correct me, because she wanted to be seen as normal-guns-a-blazing-on-her-scum-reads bessie, but when asked her to actually prove this, she was forced to retract.

Zenii wrote:It is the BUT line that is scummy. I don't think you are actually trying to find scum, because there's no reason you should be continuing on with this point. If Madge has played a town game before without breadcrumbing, then why are you still using it as a point?
You started questioning me on it, you’re continuing to question me on it. Who’s the one continuing on this point?
bessie, it's the line that matters. It shows you were not in an objective state of mind, but rather a justification state of mind.

-

btw bessie, you missed LaserGuy's very interesting question:
LaserGuy wrote:
bessie wrote:LaserGuy
I had an early concern that LaserGuy was going to be relying too heavily on the flavor for his reads and analysis. His style has changed a bit lately, his early game was a lot of poking people and at times he’s a bit cryptic, and I did think that he intentionally left me off of his D1 reads list here to see if I would notice. I have agreed with most of his D2 content. He’s noted that he and I aren’t usually on the same page, which is true. But in this game I like his content, and I like his methodical approach even when I don’t agree with him.


I'll dig into this more in a bit, but this really stuck out to me. What gave you the impression that I was relying on flavor for my reads and analysis? I don't know this flavor at all, and don't recall really spending any time talking about it.
((Sorry if this was something you were going to come back to. I just want to make sure you didn't miss it since this came before the responses to Sabrar above. While I do think you are scum, I really hate doing this while you're not feeling well, and hope you feel better soon.))

User avatar
Zenii
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 am UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Zenii » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:07 pm UTC

bessie wrote:No I didn’t realize this. The way I understood your claim, the heury vote was going to count and the day would end even if Madge hadn’t voted. That’s why I said what I did about your power in my read. Why didn’t you clear this up before?
I explained that aspect of my role already (twice). Didn't realize this possible misunderstanding until your post.

bessie wrote:
Zenii wrote:Is that hammer? I have one more thing to say if not.
Interesting how you were so aware of the vote count when we were lynching heury. Even with the rapid fire voting and switching, you knew exactly when heury was hammered, and voted for freezeblade one minute later.

Sorry I need to lie down for a few minutes, back in a bit, I'm still replying to today's content.
Interesting that those two things happened at different times on different days!

LaserGuy wrote:I have a few suspicions of bessie independent of Zen's case that have lowered my confidence in my read on her, and I have a lot of faith in Zen's instincts.
What on earth gives you faith in my instincts????!?!?? This is pretty dam weird.

plytho wrote: suspicious six
fantastic four
:mrgreen:

somitomi wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:@Madge, plytho, somitomi: Would like opinions from you on Zen's case.

The first point seems to be a good observation, but the point regarding "perception managing" feels a little.... well forced for lack of a better word. At least I don't see it at all.
Perhaps explaining it this way makes it more clear: it is contradictory. She claimed to be scum reading Vic. Vic asks if she is still scum reading him. Bessie expresses doubt about it. She had not made this distinction before. That is the objective part of it. My subjective interpretation is that the motivation behind her response was scum oriented. I believe that a town!bessie response would have simply been to explain her usage of the word "scum". Her going further indicates that she was working Vic's view of her. It's a really subtle difference in town and scum behavior. I may be attuned to it because I was scum in my last game and made similar, and unnoticed, responses. OOC: Have you ever been scum? If not, my hypothesis is that this is where our difference in perception is coming from.

User avatar
Zenii
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 am UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Zenii » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:11 pm UTC

Zenii wrote:
Evil George Washington wrote:Zen, what is your individual read of Bessie and Laser?

I think it's highly plausible Laser's been Boomfrogging me. There's been a few awkward statements he's made today, and a couple yesterday. He also hasn't displayed a great deal of flip-flopping, at least as much as I've seen before.

LaserGuy wrote:I have a few suspicions of bessie independent of Zen's case that have lowered my confidence in my read on her, and I have a lot of faith in Zen's instincts.
Woof!

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Sabrar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:44 pm UTC

plytho wrote:Can you summarize what you know from me?
These are the (imho) relevant quotes and some of my thoughts:

I'm all for lynching heuristically_alone, feels like scum trying to drag Sabrar down with him. In retrospect feels like you knew h_a's claim was false (e.g. you Tracked him to Zen N1 and knew he couldn't have copped me).
My hope was/is that you have one piece of the puzzle and my hints here can lead you to guess what I mean and help me keep Zen from getting lynched. You think I've breadcrumbed something and I may be able to figure out your hints based on my role. Absolutely no idea what this could mean, also is in contradiction with my Tracker-theory from above.
That's too bad, back to the drawing board. Also, less sure about Zen now Now you're not sure what your info means.
If heuristically_alone is scum, Zen is most likely town. Earlier, I thought Zen was highly likely town if heuristically_alone was town Yeah, I have no clue what's going on. You were quite sure h_a was scum but town!h_a would imply town!Zen??? Now scum!h_a implies town!Zen because you reconsidered...
I'm definitely opposed to a Zen lynch now. This is (I believe) in response to wam's cop-claim on me. What does that have to do with h_a and Zen?
The point is that heury's flip is relevant to Zen's alignment. You're still not sure about h_a.

Besides my original Tracker-idea I haven't given too much thought about your role because I think Suzaku is capable of coming up with something I would not anticipate and your general confusion about your result makes me feel like you have something complicated going on.

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby plytho » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 pm UTC

You're right, I'm not a tracker. You'll figure it out from my flip. Maybe not why I said what when I said it, but you'll know my result and come to the same conclusions. I'm keeping my lips sealed (keyboard locked?)
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Sabrar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:48 pm UTC

I'm uncomfortable about executing bessie because LaserGuy is pushing for it and I'm uncomfortable about him. With that said I would imagine that there is some bussing going around already.

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby wam » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:18 pm UTC

This s probably my last post before deadline.

I won't get my full re read in in time. But I think we will have a lot to go on tomorrow. Looking through there are a lot of potential links with EGW depending on his flip same with the h_a Lynch train.

There are not many other points I want to make.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4540
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:42 pm UTC

Zenii wrote:What on earth gives you faith in my instincts????!?!?? This is pretty dam weird.


I would have hoped it would be obvious to you what I was doing from my post here, but okay, I'll spell it out. I very strongly believe that we need another lynch today, and I think that there is a good chance that mafia has been deliberately trying to stall us into being passive for the remainder of the day. I'm inclined to agree with you that the night results may not be so favorable as some people seem to think they will be, for one reason or another.

I didn't think your wagon on bessie was going to go anywhere, or that your case would be considered seriously, unless you had enough votes that people thought there was a chance a lynch might actually go through. Nobody but bessie even acknowledged your initial vote and case on her. So I decided to help you out to see if we could mobilize Town into actually doing something productive with the remainder of our time, and maybe secure a lynch, if not on bessie, then on another suspicious player (freezeblade?)

I do have some suspicions of bessie after this post, but not in the range I normally would have voted for, so I was indeed leaning your read a bit here.

Sabrar wrote:I'm uncomfortable about executing bessie because LaserGuy is pushing for it and I'm uncomfortable about him. With that said I would imagine that there is some bussing going around already.


Your complacency in particular, post EGW flip, I find very troubling. I can't decide if you are just completely oblivious or if you are scum.

If you think I'm scum, fine. Make a case. Vote for me. Do something productive. What you have been doing is not helping Town. You were talking earlier about being certain you were going to be NKed. Why aren't you posting any reads in the event of your death? What's the point of saying this or asking about this if you don't think you are going to survive until tomorrow to follow up? Why haven't you told us what this fantastic PoE plan that you've been working on is so that the remainder of Town can work through it without you? I am completely baffled by your play these past few days.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4540
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:47 pm UTC

It's not even that you're just sitting there doing nothing. You are actively discouraging people from scumhunting.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4540
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:29 pm UTC

Vote: wam

I want to confirm one of Sabrar/wam today.

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby plytho » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:36 pm UTC

Don't you think heury's flip will inform us about wam's alignment?
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
Zenii
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 am UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Zenii » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:38 pm UTC

Understood Laser. What do you think of my primary point against bessie, and my bolded point above?

plytho, your thoughts on these as well.

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby wam » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:45 pm UTC

@ laser you seem desperate to lynch someone today which is odd. How do you align your vote with this post viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124370&start=960#p4322822
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4540
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:54 pm UTC

wam wrote:@ laser you seem desperate to lynch someone today which is odd. How do you align your vote with this post viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124370&start=960#p4322822


I think it should be obvious from my comments here. I think I'd prefer to lynch Sabrar, but lynching him does not necessarily confirm you, whereas lynching you does confirm him.

I'm not sure why you find it odd that I want to use the lynch to find scum :|

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4540
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:57 pm UTC

plytho wrote:Don't you think heury's flip will inform us about wam's alignment?


It might.

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby wam » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:59 pm UTC

Because the point is to lynch scum not just find them????
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Sabrar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:02 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:What's the point of saying this or asking about this if you don't think you are going to survive until tomorrow to follow up?
This whole sentence is wrong on so many levels. For example a ton of things have happened since that third (but chronologically very first) quote, making your whole point invalid. We can talk about it more on D3.

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Sabrar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:07 pm UTC

How is not wanting to lynch randomly equal to discouraging scum-hunting?

LaserGuy wrote:Your complacency in particular, post EGW flip, I find very troubling.
Oh, so you already know George's flip?

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby plytho » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:21 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
plytho wrote:Don't you think heury's flip will inform us about wam's alignment?


It might.
what are the possibilities?
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Vicarin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:45 pm UTC

Bit over 4 hours left.

I'm feeling more and more that at least one of bessie and LaserGuy is scum, but I'm not sure which one is more likely. I'm definitely against any other lynches than those two now, and I really doubt there will be time for claims or anything now unless people get really active, so I'll probably just switch to lights out at some point.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4540
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:47 pm UTC

@Zen, here's my thoughts on your case on bessie:

Zen wrote:Point
bessie is not actually scumhunting, she is scumjustifying.

How this is exhibited:
She continued arguing a point off of invalid logic. This suggests an agenda mentality. When scum are disproven, they have to find a new way to frame or justify their position.

Scum logic. The fact that Madge has done it at least once should disprove this as a scum tell. And you're indicating here that she has done it a few times. You're not looking for scum, bessie, you're just pretending.

I don't actually agree with the second quote here, necessarily. If someone does something more persistently as Town than as scum, that can still be useful information, just not conclusive. I think tells that somebody only does as Town or only does as scum are actually pretty rare. I do agree that this specific thing isn't really worth pursuing since 1) Madge hasn't been scum in so long I don't think it's safe to draw these sorts of inferences from meta; 2) I'm pretty sure I remember seeing Madge (fake) breadcrumb as scum anyway, so I think this is probably all NAI regardless. I do agree with you that I would never classify bessie's comments here to be a push on Madge.

I also find this argument more troubling because bessie has explicitly made a point of not relying on meta as the reason for her reads (though she uses it as a supplement). I don't really want to go down this rabbit hole again since I spent far too long on this in NNY. I'll quote bessie's comments on this from NNY (which were drawn from an earlier game) and you can draw your own conclusions:
bessie wrote:
Spoiler:
Meta arguments. I keep flipping my opinion on whether or not meta arguments are a good strategy, or even useful. I guess they’re useful in that most of us make use of our/others' meta when we play. It’s usually how we start D1, with random voting based on player meta (for many this is a fun stage). How can you not? We’re a relatively small group and many of us have played mafia or other games together. And it’s not necessarily a bad thing. But trying to read a player based entirely on meta and how they acted in previous games can obscure what is happening in the current game. And in my opinion, it’s an unreliable strategy. Some players like moody (sorry to pick on you moody, but I wanted to use as an example someone in this game) have a scummy meta, and tend to quite often get lynched D1. There was actually some meaning in this earlier comment.

On the other hand it’s not just a scummy meta that can be misleading. I have a very townie meta (I guess in fairness I should pick on myself now). I’m usually the towniest townie in the game. I never get lynched. And why shouldn’t I have a townie meta? I’m always town (for the sake of this argument only consider completed games, no reference to open games). I’ve been mafia, member of a team, once in two years of playing. In a recent game someone read me as townie based on my town meta, to which I replied thanks, but when have you seen me play as scum? If someone reads me as townie based on my town meta, that’s suspicious to me because they don’t have a diverse enough data sample on which to base this read.

So on the whole, I think that it’s risky to rely on meta arguments because meta can be deceptive. Of course this would be my opinion because I’m not really good at meta reading players. Some players are. Some people are remarkably good at meta reads and can pick out the one thing that another player always does as scum and catch them. I can’t, and I’m not a particularly good scum hunter either. I can’t do a case based on a player’s behavioral patterns throughout the entire game. I do lists of points that don’t look right to me, often for technical reasons. So I’m struggling in this game with no contradicting claims or night results to pick apart.

Now that I’ve wasted a lot of time on a meta discussion that doesn’t matter, where the hell was I going with this? I guess my point is that it’s useless to make a meta argument on a player based on two games, and even less valid because he was town in both. So his behavior fit his town play. What do you have to compare it to? I believe that a primary read on a player should be based on their content in the current game, and meta-read-magic-insight, by those that possess the gift, should only be used to support their analysis, and not be the reason for the read.



bessie wrote:I usually use scum for generic non-town. I still think you are indie with a target, but I'm wondering if perhaps the fact that you keep engaging with me on the points I find scummy in your content, and constantly causing me to justify my scum reads on you, thus reinforcing my scum reads on you, is causing me to tunnel.


I agree that bessie's comments here make it seem like she is more self-conscious of her tunnel than normal. I have been trying to think of an example of her doing this as Town, but can't recall one off the top of my head. Noting that bessie using 'scum' for non-Town is consistent with her normal play, though.

Cross-referencing with her reads here. I feel a lot of this does reinforce your point that her hunting is genuine. When I read this, I couldn't tell who she thought was scum. Judging by the length I would say Zen/Sabrar are her scumreads, but neither read really strikes me as obviously a scumread, and she hasn't been pushing either of you at all, which isn't really consistent with either read being a scumread. There's a lack of intensity in her posts that I find odd.

User avatar
Zenii
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 am UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Zenii » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:02 pm UTC

I find it a little weird that wam was going to save this result till endgame
@wam, what made you think you'd still be alive?

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4540
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:03 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:


How is not wanting to lynch randomly equal to discouraging scum-hunting?


You're repeatedly telling people not to pursue their scumreads; somebody says "I think X because scum because Y", and you say "We'll look into it tomorrow".

LaserGuy wrote:Your complacency in particular, post EGW flip, I find very troubling.
Oh, so you already know George's flip?


As I told you already, I believe his claim.

Sabrar wrote:This whole sentence is wrong on so many levels. For example a ton of things have happened since that third (but chronologically very first) quote, making your whole point invalid.


:|
"A ton of things have happened" does not mean that any of them are relevant to my point.

We can talk about it more on D3.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spoiler:
:roll:

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Sabrar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:10 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:You're repeatedly telling people not to pursue their scumreads; somebody says "I think X because scum because Y", and you say "We'll look into it tomorrow".
Too bad that's completely not what happened. But I have an idea why you would say that...

User avatar
Sabrar
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Sabrar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:13 pm UTC

Going to bed, not changing vote. D3 should start with Madge and plytho claiming plus anyone who feels it's beneficial.
BTW town!Vicarin should not guard me after all.

User avatar
wam
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am UTC
Location: South England

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby wam » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:19 pm UTC

Zenii wrote:
I find it a little weird that wam was going to save this result till endgame
@wam, what made you think you'd still be alive?


The fact I very rarely get nk'd. Haven't been since I started playing again. If you look at my playing history I doubt it's very often. Easy way to check is to do a search by opening post only for "wam".
Come join us playing mafia signup here

User avatar
plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby plytho » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:03 pm UTC

Bedtime for me. Good night and good Night.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Vicarin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:23 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Going to bed, not changing vote. D3 should start with Madge and plytho claiming plus anyone who feels it's beneficial.
BTW town!Vicarin should not guard me after all.


Any particular reason you don't want me to try to save you, or do you just want me to be unpredictable?

User avatar
Vicarin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Vicarin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:50 am UTC

Unvote

Guess not much else is going to happen for the next hour then.

User avatar
Suzaku
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D2 - Awakening

Postby Suzaku » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:07 am UTC

Day-end votals:

bessie - 1 (Zenii)
Lights Out - 3 (Sabrar, freezeblade, wam)
Zenii - 1 (Madge)
wam - 1 (LaserGuy)

Not voting: bessie, somitomi, plytho, Vicarin

It is now night. Deadline for night actions to be received is 48 hours from now, at 2018/3/9 02:00 UTC.

Effective immediately, Maven89 replaces bessie.

Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

User avatar
Suzaku
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D3 - Assessments

Postby Suzaku » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:43 pm UTC

After another sleep period, the crew, by now somewhat diminished, set about the new day. First priority for most is to identify the people executed the previous day.
But although there were two executions, it's as if only one of the victims existed; heuristically_alone's personal effects seem to have vanished during the night, and his data deleted from the ship's computer banks. There's no way to determine anything about who he may or may not have been.

Evil George Washington, however, is a different case. Although his cabin is almost as clean as heuristically_alone's, a transponder of alien manufacture is found. A quick analysis of it's signal reveals that it is communicating directly with a sterilisation hub belonging to a ... group? ... entity? calling itself 'The Contingency'. They seem to be intent on the elimination of all biological life.

The crew also found Zenii's corpse; his neck had been snapped, apparently as he was returning to his cabin. A quick search of his cabin revealed hitherto secret orders, and computer override codes that would surely only have been known to the Captain and First Officer.


heuristically_alone was executed yesterday. No further information about him will be revealed.

Evil George Washington was executed yesterday. He was a contingency war bot, an independent third party.
He had a nightly kill and was immune to one night-kill attempt on himself.

Zenii was killed during the night. He was the First Officer of the UNS Ajax, aligned with the UNE.
Once during the game, he could unilaterally declare lights out.

With nine players now remaining, 5 votes are required for execution.
The deadline for day will be 2018/3/14 23:00 JST (=2018/3/14 14:00 UTC)
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

User avatar
Madge
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Stellaris Mafia (Lights Out) - D3 - Assessments

Postby Madge » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:24 pm UTC

I just want to be clear, Zenii was not my doing.

In personal news, it looked like my project was going to be on life support since it already had one foot in the grave, but I managed to revive it. Carefully nursed it back to health by reducing the width of the bike lanes, you know, the usual. Which is good because if the draftie couldn't make it fit that would have been a bitter pill for the project owner to swallow and would rub salt in my manger's wounds. So yeah, it's all on the mend - I think my project will get a clean bill of health.

:lol:

So yeah... my second power was a doctor power... I protected Sabrar. I'm the UNS ajax medical officer. I have access ot the medical equipment so I can heal people or kill people, I get one shot at each so I'm donezo now.

(though all that random crap about my project is true FWIW)

What was EGW's win condition?

ALSO DEADLINE IS ON MY BIRTHDAY :O :O :O (I am in my very late 20s). So I won't be around on the deadline, I'll be too busy PARTYING!!!~
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.


Return to “Mafia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sabrar and 6 guests