The Seven Deadly Zens Mafia - Postponed Infinitely Indefinitely

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Zenii

The Seven Deadly Zens Mafia - Postponed Infinitely Indefinitely

Postby Zenii » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 am UTC

The Seven Deadly Zens Mafia

Rules | Prohibitions

1) You may only post in the game if you are a living player and it is the Day phase. No "bah go town/scum" posts.

2) No communication about this game is allowed with non-players or players who are dead, even if you yourself are dead. xkcd addendum: You may post spoilers in Gojoe, but even if you have died, please do not read spoilers until receiving Mod approval.

3) You may not edit your posts.

4) You may not directly quote or screenshot private communications with the Mod(s) or other players. You may not reveal private meta-data (e.g. time you sent or received private messages).

5) You may not communicate via code.

In the event of a conflict between these rules and game-specific rules or player abilities, the game-specific rules/abilities take precedence.

Voting | Execution

• To vote for a player, please use this format: ##player
    • To unvote, please use this format: ##unvote
    • Votes without the double pound sign will not be counted.
    • An execution will only occur if a player receives majority vote.

Activity | Deadline

• Day 1 will last exactly 96 hours (4 days).
    • Each subsequent Day phase, with the exception of lylo, will last exactly 72 hours (3 days).
    • There will be no deadline during lylo.
    • Each Night phase will last exact 12 hours.

• Players may continue to post until a Mod declares the end of the phase, even if an execution has occured.
    • Votes and Actions submitted after the Day/Night deadline will not be counted. However, players may PM the Mod(s) activation conditions for abilities as far in advance as they would like.
    • No deadline extensions will be granted. However, in the event of Holidays or other special circumstances, players may vote to place the game on pause.
    • There is no minimum post requirement or maximum post restriction. Players will not be replaced or mod killed due to inactivity. Public requests to replace a player will be ignored. Players may privately request to replace themselves and the Mod(s) will do everything in their power to oblige.

Other Notes (Applies to all Zen games):
Spoiler:
  • A player's alignment cannot be determined by their flavor/character. This will either be due to scum having safe claims, or the randomization of which characters will be scum/town before the setup is created.

• A player's alignment cannot be determined by their role; the usefulness of it, the uselessness of it, or its harmony to other roles. E.g: A game could potentially contain a Town Cop and a Mafia Deputy who inherits the Cop role when the Cop dies.

• You will be informed if there is a Jester. You will not be informed if there is a Cultist. However, any time there is a change in alignment, it will be announced publicly that an alignment change has occurred.

• All roles are assigned randomly.

Action Resolution

Commuting
Redirecting (e.g Redirector, Bus Driver)
Blocking* (e.g Roleblocker)
Role Altering (e.g Framer, Vote Blocker, Copy Cat)
Misc. (e.g Messager)
Protecting (e.g Doctor)
Killing (e.g Vig, Faction Kill)
Investigating (e.g Cop)
Alignment Changing** (e.g Cultist)
Tracking
Watching

Abilities of the same type are processed simultaneously. If a player targets another of the same type, their action will take precedence. For example, if Roleblocker A targets Roleblocker B, and Roleblocker B targets Cop: Roleblocker B will fail and the Cop will succeed.

*If a RB targets a Redirector, the RB takes precedence and the redirection will cancel. However, if RB targets a non-Redirector, the redirection takes presedence.
**If a player's alignment changes, it is not considered changed until the start of the next phase. If a person is recruited in the same night they are investigated, the will turn up inno.
Last edited by Zenii on Sat May 12, 2018 5:42 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

Zenii

Re: The Seven Deadly Zens Mafia - Pregame

Postby Zenii » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 am UTC

Special Game Mechanic

In this game, each player can be in one of two states: Positive or Negative. Being in either of these states has no bearing on alignment. However, the state a player is in does influence the sort of abilities they may use. Each player has at least one ability they may use in their Positive state and one ability they may use in their Negative state. The state that each player is in will be anonymously represented on what will be referred to as the Parity Table.

Parity Table
[ + P1 + ] | [ - P2 - ]
[ + P3 + ] | [ - P4 - ]
[ + P5 + ] | [ - P6 - ]
[ = P7 = ]

At the beginning of the game, each player will be assigned a player number to represent them on the Parity Table. Players in the left column are currently in the Positive state. Some players have abilities which can change a player's state (from Positive to Negative or Negative to Positive). Whenever a change in state occurs, the Parity Table will be updated to reflect any changes.

The two players who share the same row on the Table are energetically linked. If one of the players is in the Positive state, then the other must be in the Negative state. For example, if Player 2 is changed to a Positive state, then Player 1 will automatically change to a Negative state.

Win Conditions/Lose Conditions
Mafia is out to ruin Zen's state of balance. They win if every living player is in the same state: either all Positive or all Negative. If Mafia win, Town will lose. Town wins when they can no longer lose.

Active Ability Uses
Player's are also limited in how many times they may use their Active Abilities. In your role PM's this is referred to as Energy. Each player starts with a certain amount of Energy. Each time a player uses an Active Ability, their Energy decreases by 1. While one's Energy level is 0, they may not use Active Abilities.

Note that so long as a player has enough Energy, they may use an ability as many times as they wish during any phase, unless the specific conditions for the ability state otherwise.

Example Town Role:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Zenii on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:26 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:34 am UTC

Players
bessie
heuristically_alone
Evil George Washington
LaserGuy
Maven89
somitomi
Vicarin
wam
YOLOSWAG

Day 1
Spoiler:
YOLOSWAG, Love | Attachment, died during pregame. [Town]
Evil George Washington, Ambiguity | Doubt, died during pregame {Mafia}

Alive: bessie, heuristically_alone, LaserGuy, Maven89, somitomi, Vicarin, wam
Last edited by Zenii on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:56 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:41 pm UTC

Wait, if this is based on Zen's ego, shouldn't it be a large game?

lololololol

Spoiler:
I am totally playing cuz I know Zen and he won't take offense. But I just HAD to
Last edited by #HBC | YOLOSWAG on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:53 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Wait, if this game is based on Zen's ego, shouldn't it be a large game?

lololololol

Spoiler:
I am totally playing cuz I know Zen and he won't take offense. But I just HAD to

I think this one is full! see the signups at the top of the mafia page/ my signature! Sorry
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:23 pm UTC

Heh, that's how I read it at first as well. But by playing, he meant joking.

It's true though, so jokes on you YOLO. wait

Day will begin April 17th 15:00 UTC

Please let me know if you have any questions/concerns before Day start!

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:43 am UTC

Updates & Answers to Common Questions

When can abilities be used?
Unless stated otherwise, abilities may used during either phase.

When do abilities take effect and how are conflicts handled?
Quick abilities take effect as soon as they are used. All other abilities are processed at the end of the phase. The order that abilities are typically processed can now be found in the "Other Notes (Applies to all Zen games)" section of the OP.

For the most part this game, abilities that change state are considered the Role Altering type. Also for the sake of this game, I will be following these two rules:

1. If two or more actions of the same type are in conflict, the non-targeting actions will take precedence.
  2. If there is yet still conflict, actions used by the upper and leftmost player on the Parity Table will take precedence.

If a player uses an ability and changes to a different state in the same phase, does their ability still work?
This would depend on how their state was changed and which ability was used. If an ability has a higher priority in the action resolution sequence than whatever caused their state to change, then the ability would succeed. Otherwise, it would fail.

When using an action that requires a target, do you use the player name or do you use the player number from the Parity Table?
Unless stated otherwise, you use the player's name, as you would normally.

How are flips revealed?
Execution flips will be posted at the end of the Day phase. All flips will be full reveal.

Do Executions end the Day?
Yes, but you may still post until the End of Day is called by the Mod(s).

Small Change: Mylo has been changed to Lylo in the OP. This is what it was originally meant to be, but I forever mix up the two, as their meanings were flipped in my original universe.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:20 pm UTC

One day, Zen was typing up a 10-page, double-sided essay for a Mafia post when suddenly he felt something was wrong...a disturbance within.

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. I just had to have that Chili Con Carne Instant ready meal for lunch didn't I?

As Zen began to ponder his life choices, the disturbance grew evermore. It wasn't just his stomach -- his entire being rumbled in distress. There was no way all this could be from a mere microwaved dish, could it? Besides, how could something so delicious possibly be bad? No, this was something more...

Sarry Sabrary, the meta analysis will have to wait.

I must meditate.

Little did Zen know, a war had been brewing inside for months and it was now coming to its apex. Essences of zen had been disappearing. Fear, Rage, Composure...Disgust...all gone. Out of thousands, only 9 now remained. They pretentiously called themselves the The Knines of Zen. Dedicated to solving the mystery, the Knines spent Day and Night fighting and debating with one another. Someone among them had to be the cause of these disappearances. But who? And why? With each disappearance it was becoming harder and harder to maintain balance within Zen. They had to act, or soon there would no longer be enough of them to uphold Parity.

After a Day of intense debate between Love and Ambiguity, the zens decided to take a Night's recess. Things had gotten worse than they ever had -- so bad that Love, who is normally such a gentle spirit, hollered with fury. One would have thought it to be Rage themselves. Love believed their case on Enigma to be foolproof, but Ambiguity, ever the elusive one, managed to convince the others that Love was just paranoid and simply couldn't let go. Perhaps, they shouldn't have listened to someone whose name wouldn't even stay the same...

The zens woke to the sound of screams and laughter. They all knew what happened. The balance had shifted... Out of thousands,
only 7 now remained.

YOLOSWAG was dizentegrated during pregame. He was Love | Attachment, zen aligned.
Spoiler:
Hello YOLOSWAG, you are...

Love
+
-
Attachment

In your arms I can still feel the way you | Want me when you hold me | I can still hear the words you whispered | When you told me | I can stay right here forever in your arms | And there ain't no way | I'm lettin' you go now | And there ain't no way | And there ain't not how | I'll never see that day.

+ Positive Ability +

Grace [player x]: Once per phase, you may prevent a player from changing from a Positive state to a Negative state during the next phase.

- Negative Ability -

Stay With Me [player x]: Once per phase, you may prevent a player from changing from a Negative state to a Positive state during the next phase.

Win Condition

You are zen aligned and win when you can no longer lose.

Energy: 2

Evil George Washington was dizentegrated during pregame. He was Enigma | Doubt, anti-zen aligned.
Spoiler:
Hello Evil George Washington, you are...

Enigma
+

-
Doubt

"If the meanings of true and false were switched, this sentence wouldn't be false."

+ Positive Ability +

Pseudo Vote [player x]: During the day phase, you may PM the mod a Pseudo-Vote. The next time you vote the specified player (in the same phase), your vote will be empty -- It will display in the vote tally, but have no affect towards a player's dizentegration. Pseudo-votes may be used concurrently with your normal vote.

- Negative Ability -

More or Less (Passive): While in a Negative state; if you are tracked or watched, the results will appear reversed.

Win Condition

You are anti-zen and win when all living players are in the same state.

Energy: 1

Day 1 Begins

Parity Table
[ + P1 + ] | [ - P2 - ]
[ + P3 + ] | [ - P4 - ]
[ + P5 + ] | [ - P6 - ]
[ = P7 = ]

Alive: bessie, heuristacally_alone, LaserGuy, Maven89, somitomi, wam, Vicarin

With 7 alive, it takes 4 to execute.

The Deadline is: April 21st, 15:20 UTC.
Last edited by Zenii on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:17 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

wam

Re: The Seven Deadly Zens Mafia - D1 Begins!

Postby wam » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:28 pm UTC

So I have a few questions for other players?

1) do we claim our parity numbers.

2) what powers do we think are out there.

3) setup speculation

My answers

1) no it gives scum useful information

2) will have a think and come back to this

3) 5 -2 is the only one that makes sense.

I think for the sake of clarity I need to claim: I have a posting restriction however giving any more information about it will help scum.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:20 pm UTC

Ok I’ve played with everyone in this game before, so you all know that I don’t play at work (9-6ish PDT, I should be there now but I'm running late). Some quick responses to wam’s questions before I leave.
1) No, at least not yet.
2) Still thinking about it, and about the game mechanics.
3) Agree with 5-2.

I do not have a posting restriction.

Zenii wrote:YOLOSWAG was dizentegrated during during pregame.
:lol: :P
Zenii wrote:Evil George Washington was dizentegrated during pregame.
:shock: :cry:

Back in 10ish hours.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:55 pm UTC

##wam

His questions all feel kind of rolefishy to me.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:25 pm UTC

##laserguy

Trying to stifle D1 disscussion - scummy

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:41 pm UTC

1) no. And we should absolutely never claim or speculate someone's parity number

2) no clue

3) based on number of playets alone 5-2. But due to P7, could be an indy. Or maybe just 1 mafia (less likely).

Partial claiming, one of my roles (not claiming if positive or negative) is passive such that any time I am investigated, I appear as anti-zen. Really both my roles are on the weak end of the zen spectrum.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

We'll win, but not everyone will get out

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:45 pm UTC

wam wrote:##laserguy

How do you feel that answering these questions is in any way beneficial to Town, especially when you have already seeded the answers that you expect to get back?

wam

Postby wam » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:57 pm UTC

Tbh I don't but I figured it was a reasonable way of starting disscussion.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:14 pm UTC

:?
If you don't think that answering the questions is beneficial to Town, in what sense is it a reasonable way to start discussion?

wam

Postby wam » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:22 pm UTC

Is starting with questions not a common thing anymore?

I phrased that badly, I think the answers to question 2&3 are things we would get anwya. 1 was the interesting one but after the answers so far scum (if they haven#t posted yet) would have to be stupid to answer differently. So its now not beneficial

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:58 pm UTC

wam wrote:Is starting with questions not a common thing anymore?

Not usually, no, especially in closed setups. But it's not so much that you were asking questions in general that I'm focusing on, but rather the specific questions that you chose to ask. There is a lot of interesting stuff in those setup posts that you could have asked about that may have both been helpful to Town and created discussion.

Why do you think 5-2 is more likely than 6-1?

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:52 pm UTC

Zenii wrote:One day, Zen was typing up a 10-page, double-sided essay

This hit way too close to home.

wam wrote:1) do we claim our parity numbers.
2) what powers do we think are out there.
3) setup speculation

1) Nope
2) Setup says some players can change or influence the state of others, I'd guess anti-zen(s) might have one of those powers.
3) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
LaserGuy wrote:There is a lot of interesting stuff in those setup posts that you could have asked about that may have both been helpful to Town and created discussion.

Why didn't you ask any of those questions then?
heuristically_alone wrote:But due to P7, could be an indy.

I'm kind of puzzled by the state of P7, apparently they're aren't in a positive nor negative state.
—◯-◯

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:58 pm UTC

Or they are both positive and negative at the same time.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:04 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:There is a lot of interesting stuff in those setup posts that you could have asked about that may have both been helpful to Town and created discussion.

Why didn't you ask any of those questions then?

I prefer to focus on generating reads early in the game.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:45 pm UTC

1. Absolutely not
2. Don't believe this should be answered
3. p7 might very well be an independent, there's only talk of negative/positive states, so I'm not sure how a balanced state (which is how I interpret the =) would play into that. Either means they count as both or that it's a unique state to them and would count against the mafia's win condition.

5-2 is the only one that makes real sense, however. 4-2-1 would hurt the town quite a bit and 5-1-1 would make the mafia's job almost impossible.

We can assume they're not on the same tier, as that'd make their win condition impossible. So, if a mafia is p2, than p1 is probably cleared. I don't think we can make assumptions about if they're both the same charge already, or if they're oppositely charged.

wam wrote:##laserguy

This seems way too jumpy to me. I'd vote but with only 4 to lynch I don't want to add to it. Laserguy's response to Wam was normal, Wam voting back seemed forced and panicky.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:47 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:

I missed this question before, but I want Wam to answer this

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:56 pm UTC

@mod Are we told the player's parity number when they die?
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:15 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:@mod Are we told the player's parity number when they die?
Not technically, but their number will disappear from the Parity Table.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:19 am UTC

Oh hey look all the action happens after I get to sleep again. And this game is neither open setup nor flavour that I know. Oh well.

Answers to wam's questions:

1. Almost certainly a bad idea early, don't want to give the scum too many ideas about precisely who to target. However, if we're 3-1 with 3 + and 1 -, then if the -ve gets lynched without anyone shifting beforehand, we lose. Even if that person we lynch is the last scum, according the mafia win condition in the first post! Makes claiming positions necessary later on.

2. Pff, who knows, all those example pregame roles are kind of crazy. Beyond the obviousness of there being state-switching abilities, h_a's claim makes a cop really likely. Beyond that, most things seem fair game.

3. 5-2 and 4-2-1 are the only ones that really make sense, anything with a faction of 1 mafia seems like it would be stupidly swingy based on the first lynch.

I don't think that the questions are too terribly rolefishy, or maybe I just have a distorted PoV (cough Stellaris cough).

Asked about P7, and they're apparently not - and not +. What they can do with that is a mystery.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:20 am UTC

And I made a mistake, mafia win condition is in the second post, not first.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:29 am UTC

Are abilities used during the day processed before or after the lynch?

Also, I object to being used as an example of a killing role in the action resolution order :D

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:30 am UTC

I wonder of P7 had to be dead for mafia to win, assuming in this case P7 is not mafia. I agree with maven, that mafia partners can't be on the same tier as each other. But to win they must kill the 2 players on the same tier as them and one olplayer from the other tier. I wouldn't be surprised if mafia have some ability to switch between positive and negative.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:34 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:Are abilities used during the day processed before or after the lynch?

Also, I object to being used as an example of a killing role in the action resolution order :D

Executions are considered Killing type this game.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:21 am UTC

Maven89 wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:

Do I really have to explain why 6-1 , is unlikely?

wam

Postby wam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:50 am UTC

##unvote

##sabrar

Just testing a theory

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:53 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:1) no. And we should absolutely never claim or speculate someone's parity number
I find your absoluteness interesting, like, you are certain you are giving the correct answer. There may be a time, like on D3, when claiming is beneficial.

heuristically_alone wrote:2) no clue
Well you must have a clue of at least two powers, the one you claimed and the one you didn’t.

heuristically_alone wrote:Partial claiming, one of my roles (not claiming if positive or negative) is passive such that any time I am investigated, I appear as anti-zen. Really both my roles are on the weak end of the zen spectrum.
How do you know your powers are on the weak end of the spectrum if you have no clue of the other powers in the game?

wam wrote:Is starting with questions not a common thing anymore?

I phrased that badly, I think the answers to question 2&3 are things we would get anwya. 1 was the interesting one but after the answers so far scum (if they haven#t posted yet) would have to be stupid to answer differently. So its now not beneficial
Interesting, so #2 and #3 were conversation starters as you claimed, but #1 was the question you really wanted answered, hidden among the other two.

LaserGuy wrote:I prefer to focus on generating reads early in the game.
Yes, but someone needs to get the discussion started. We can't all sit around waiting for someone else to post first, or there’s no content to generate reads.

Ninja'd by wam. :? :!:

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:06 am UTC

wam wrote:##unvote

##sabrar

Just testing a theory

Yeah, I'm gonna go with 'this is a complete waste of time' seeing as this game was advertised as none-minimal bastardry.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:31 am UTC

##unvote

I am going to pretend that it was part of an incredibly clever plan and not a really stupid mistake that proves I shouldn't post before breakfast.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:34 am UTC

Maven89 wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:

Maven why are you asking this when you said 5-2 is the only one that makes sense?

Vicarin wrote:And I made a mistake, mafia win condition is in the second post, not first.

This is a wierd clarification to make. Comes across paranoid.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:47 am UTC

bessie wrote:
heuristically_alone wrote:1) no. And we should absolutely never claim or speculate someone's parity number
I find your absoluteness interesting, like, you are certain you are giving the correct answer. There may be a time, like on D3, when claiming is beneficial.

My confidence in everything I say is what attracts all the ladies to me. Also I could not forsee or think of any circumstance that benefits town in knowing parity numbers, while it benefits mafia immensly to know, even more so D3.

bessie wrote:
heuristically_alone wrote:2) no clue
Well you must have a clue of at least two powers, the one you claimed and the one you didn’t.

Next time I'll be sure to say "no clue besides my own roles I obviously read before the game started and as such would have a clue of"

bessie wrote:
heuristically_alone wrote:Partial claiming, one of my roles (not claiming if positive or negative) is passive such that any time I am investigated, I appear as anti-zen. Really both my roles are on the weak end of the zen spectrum.
How do you know your powers are on the weak end of the spectrum if you have no clue of the other powers in the game?

Would you disagree with my power being on the weaker end?
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:05 am UTC

@h_a: do you think that it's worthwhile to claim parity positions in the situation I outlined in my first post?

@wam: I'm pretty sure Maven wants your reasoning for that statement.

I'd like some more stuff out of somitomi as his answers to wam's questions were a whole lot of nothing.

Pretty keen to lynch any lurkers in this seeing as there's no modprods or inactivity replacements and we'll probably only get 1 lynch before LYLO so we need lots of info immediately.

To that end,

##somitomi

As an incentive.

Zenii

Postby Zenii » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:09 am UTC

Guys. Something has come up. Trying to think the best way to go about this. Stay tuned.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:09 am UTC

@vicarin

Two reasons 1) a solitary person with a kill is not mafia they are a sk. 2) a game that can end day 1 is not a sensible game.

Return to “Mafia”