Alien Warfare Mafia (GAME OVER)

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Mark_Cangila

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Postby Mark_Cangila » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:03 pm UTC

Sabrar is pretty suspicious.
Vote: Sabrar

However, Vic's pretty suspicious too.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:17 pm UTC

Mark_Cangila wrote:Sabrar is pretty suspicious.

But Vic and Sabrar are scum reading each other, so how do you have both of them suspicious? Do you believe they're partners?

No one answer this question other than Mark please

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:20 pm UTC

Maven89 wrote:

But Vic and Sabrar are scum reading each other, so how do you have both of them suspicious? Do you believe they're partners?

Scum reading? Does this mean they are calling each other scum? They may be working together. This is closed, so scum may have day talk. I mean, they're aliens.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:30 pm UTC

OFFICIAL VOTALS

Sabrar - 5 (LaserGuy, Bessie, Vicarin, wam, Mark_Cangila)
Maven89 - 1 (Sabrar)
wam - 1 (SDK)

Please correct me if I have your vote wrong.

With 13 alive, it takes 7 votes to lynch!

DEADLINE: 6 Days, 4 Hours 30 Minutes
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

We'll win, but not everyone will get out

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:57 pm UTC

Given the possibility of hidden voting mechanics, it's probably best nobody else vote for Sabrar at this point.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue May 01, 2018 1:06 am UTC

Oh, right, forgot to do the proper syntax before.

Unvote: Sabrar

I am pretty glad that we got out of RVS really fast at least. Reading through the new stuff some more...

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue May 01, 2018 1:35 am UTC

Could you elaborate as to why you thought what I did was suspicious?

Sabrar wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:If you believe that scum has the Town wincon, what would be the point of avoiding giving them hints about this aspect of the game?
Never claimed to be infallible.

:roll:

Kind of have to assume that stuff like that isn't a mistake in a game like this, can't just have scum going "whoops I done goofed" whenever they do something weird.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:52 am UTC

Mark_Cangila wrote:
Maven89 wrote:

Scum reading? Does this mean they are calling each other scum? They may be working together. This is closed, so scum may have day talk. I mean, they're aliens.

It's likely they have day chat, that's the norm for mafia. So you're thinking they're claiming each other scum to throw people off?

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Tue May 01, 2018 2:19 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:

Could you elaborate as to why you thought what I did was suspicious?

That mention of the win con is still pinging me. Why bring it up. And why should Sabrar respond. Seems irrelevant.

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Tue May 01, 2018 2:19 am UTC

Maven89 wrote:
Mark_Cangila wrote:
Maven89 wrote:

It's likely they have day chat, that's the norm for mafia. So you're thinking they're claiming each other scum to throw people off?

Wouldn't put it past them. It seems mildly likely.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue May 01, 2018 2:26 am UTC

Mark_Cangila wrote:That mention of the win con is still pinging me. Why bring it up. And why should Sabrar respond. Seems irrelevant.

I brought it up because it was possibly a way of distinguishing town from scum, although I didn't think it that likely to work. It also gave something for a lot of people to weigh in on and discuss, which is pretty nice for establishing reads. Better than RVS in my opinion at least.

Sabrar didn't respond directly, do you understand what I jumped on in his first post, and why?

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Tue May 01, 2018 2:43 am UTC

Vicarin wrote:Sabrar didn't respond directly, do you understand what I jumped on in his first post, and why?

I understand why. There is something in the wincon that means that it is bad to tell scum the town wincon. On a slightly unrelated note, in his first post, when he said the two people were scum, did he mean they usually play as scum or are scum in this game?
UnFos: Vicarin

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:34 am UTC

Mark_Cangila wrote:I understand why. There is something in the wincon that means that it is bad to tell scum the town wincon.

I'm not sure how to take this

Also Sabrar was just joking when he said the two players were scum

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 01, 2018 3:50 am UTC

I don't mind being the center of attention again, actually I love it as always. However at this point I became an easy target for people to say "well he is suspicious for reasons we all know (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)" without having to reveal anything specific.

From his posting I don't see Mark_Cangila receiving advice from other players so if scum has day-chat I think he's Town.

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue May 01, 2018 5:01 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:How do you reconcile minimal bastardry with the hypothetical situation of scum not being told the town win-con?
I don’t think that the mod not posting or supplying all players with all the win cons is bastard in itself. The mod didn’t lie about it. And I interpret your question to me as that you believe the same. Please correct me if I interpreted this wrong. My (implied) question to you, now direct, is “how does the mod deliberately messing with our heads fit in with a non bastard game?”

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I'd be VERY surprised if scum don't have the town win condition. I actually explicitly asked about it, and even suggested that they should be given it for balance reasons, which I can explain in more detail later.
I think I can see the mod not giving non-town faction(s) the town win condition. Does that make the game bastard or unbalanced? I can’t say at this point.

Sabrar wrote:That was a meta-read that I could not help making. It influenced my thinking regardless of any other factors. We can choose not to discuss role-pms.
Yes, but as this subject has already been discussed, it is influencing our thinking. I'll be coming back to this.

Sabrar wrote:BTW the setup must be a combination of Shakespeare III and Cross-over but similarly to those I don't think it's balanced.
I think this is interesting. I know how you feel about Shakespeare, but I don’t remember you ever giving an indication that you thought the mechanic in Crossover made the game unbalanced. How so?

Liri wrote:Wheel of Time, Shakespeare, Crossover - is there a good place to see what those setups involved? I don't want you guys to have to explain all that.
Hi Liri, thanks for signing up! We’re not ignoring your question, just putting off answering this for now.

Well if it isn’t SDK! I have missed playing with you, although LaserGuy’s recent playstyle has reminded me a bit of yours.

wam wrote:I was wondering if anyone had enough meta knowledge of maven to say whether scum maven would be likely to do that.
You probably know as well as anyone else in this game. Maven’s games on xkcd:
Crossover – town (killed N1)
Halloween- mafia
Secret Santa – town (replaced)
Stellaris- mafia (replacement)
If you want to research Maven yourself, try https://smashboards.com/forums/decisive-games.163/.

Sabrar wrote: I think you've got this backwards. Scum knowing the town win-con is how things are usually done.
I think I want to disagree with this, but I didn’t check any old games to see if this is true. I probably will before D1 is over.

wam wrote:So what pings me is town sabrar very rarely backs down in my experience. Having never played with scum sabrar does he back down more as scum? I'm looking at Bessie here.
My experience with Sabrar is that he can be stubborn regardless of alignment. I will need to think about this question a bit. And wam, why, out of all the players in this game, did you select me me me to ask this question?

Sabrar’s scum games:
Crossover*
Bin Chicken**
Diablo*
Wheel of Time 2*
Impromptu
FAC668
Shakespeare II
PYPokemon
Alternating 9P
*games I played
**mentor

You could have asked LaserGuy or jimbobmacdoodle, who have actually been scum with Sabrar. I wonder if you just wanted to try to suggest a link between me and scum!Sabrar. I’m also wondering why you keep asking for other players opinions on each other. Having trouble making your own reads? Or just want to make sure that any accusations you make will have some support?

LaserGuy wrote:
SDK wrote:I'm not sure about Vicarin, but I do agree with him that Sabrar is unlikely to be town. I find it hard to believe that the proper mafia would not be warned about this trap in some way though, so maybe pro-town indy? Or neutral indy of some kind?

How do you see a pro-Town indie fitting into this setup, exactly?
I’m also interested in your answer to this. And what do you mean by "the proper mafia"?

Maven89 wrote:If I had to kill 3 people right now, it's be Sabrar, Wam and Bessie, in that order. Sabrar for obvious reasons I already mentioned, Wam because his response to the questiosn about Sabrar are so vague that it seems clear he has no idea what we're really talking about, and Bessie for something semi-similar.
Hmm, I am being a bit vague for reasons, but I know what I’m talking about, and I believe you should also know what I am talking about. You’re starting to fish a little too hard, Maven. But go ahead and ask me something specific if you want. I think we’re almost to the point where any experienced mafia players will figure it out anyway.

Vicarin wrote:I brought it up because it was possibly a way of distinguishing town from scum, although I didn't think it that likely to work. It also gave something for a lot of people to weigh in on and discuss, which is pretty nice for establishing reads. Better than RVS in my opinion at least.

bessie’s musings on the “Role PM Gambit” discussion
I’ve been thinking about this all day. I agree with all those that have said that they don’t really support this line of questioning. I don’t either, and I tried to downplay it a bit when it started last night. This came up a little in Stellaris, where I was very against the type of role pm fishing Vicarin was doing in that game (though it wasn’t quite the same as this game); I was so against it that I refused to give him my safe claim to shut him up. :P I will see if I can remember or find a better example from a recent game. The best example I have is Vanillafia. Vytron made a joking reference to his role pm in his confirmation post (he later admitted he was trying to do a gambit), and it was obvious to me from Djehytynakht’s opening post that DJ did not have the vanilla town role pm. As I was still a newer player, I saw nothing wrong with attacking DJ for this, and the game quickly escalated to being moistly focused on role pms, and it became obvious that lynx and moody also did not have the vanilla town role pm. Dr Ug finally got fed up with everyone dancing around the wording of the pm, pretty much described the wording of the pm, and was modkilled. My perspective has since changed, and older and wiser me now sees this as somewhat against the spirit of the game, although I admit it is not altogether technically disallowed if discussed carefully. I remember being quite upset in WoT2 when moody accused me of pulling a PM wording gambit because that’s not the type of player I am trying to be (wow just skimmed that game got kind of depressed, I had a really bad D1, so no link, will dig it up upon request). But as I’ve said elsewhere in this post, the subject has been discussed, and that discussion can’t be unforgotten. I don’t exactly know what the solution is. I thought that maybe by typing this out it would lead me somewhere but it didn’t. I probably need to think about it more.

Sabrar wrote:From his posting I don't see Mark_Cangila receiving advice from other players so if scum has day-chat I think he's Town.

Do players with chat have day chat or night chat?

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue May 01, 2018 5:11 am UTC

Do players with chat have day chat or night chat?
No comment
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

We'll win, but not everyone will get out

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue May 01, 2018 5:16 am UTC

bessie wrote:Well if it isn’t SDK! I have missed playing with you, although LaserGuy’s recent playstyle has reminded me a bit of yours.

I feel like I should print this off and frame it :D

At least, I'm assuming that's meant to be complimentary ;)

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:21 am UTC

Bessie, I misread your Sabrar post and didn't notice your "may or may nots" and thought you were solely talking about the later parts.

I feel like we're reaching the limits of decipherable conversation about Sabrar's post while still hiding the details. can I just come out and state it? I feel like, at this point, the benefits far outway the cost. I don't feel we can bait anyone else

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:31 am UTC

Actually, i changed my mind on that. I want a town clear, but thinking on it, I don't see how stating it could really add to the discussion. It's possible the mafia not knowing it gives us a major advantage, and there's not much more to be said about this whole event anyways

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 01, 2018 5:31 am UTC

bessie wrote:I don’t think that the mod not posting or supplying all players with all the win cons is bastard in itself. The mod didn’t lie about it. And I interpret your question to me as that you believe the same. Please correct me if I interpreted this wrong. My (implied) question to you, now direct, is “how does the mod deliberately messing with our heads fit in with a non bastard game?”
bessie wrote:
Sabrar wrote: I think you've got this backwards. Scum knowing the town win-con is how things are usually done.
I think I want to disagree with this, but I didn’t check any old games to see if this is true. I probably will before D1 is over.

These belong somewhat together. We definitely have different idea of what bastardry means. I think that scum knowing the win-con should be the norm, otherwise game can be decided on outside factors. In a standard setup town's win-con is always 'eliminate all anti-town factions and have at least 1 townie staying alive', this doesn't need to be spelled out explicitly but can be assumed from scum's side to be true. Therefore the isssue does not arise in a standard setup. In a non-standard setup (such as this one) I feel scum should receive the town win-con because the balancing factor for scum's lesser numbers is the additional info they get (knowing their team-mates, having chat, etc).
So on one hand I would say that scum not receiving the town win-con in a non-standard setup is somewhat bastardy. On the other hand if the mod just pretends that there is something fishy going on (by e.g. answering questions with 'no comment' or not including standard rules such as 'there are no spoiler-reading or listening roles') and let's the players' imagination fill the void then that is not bastardy in itself as long as there is nothing fishy going on after all.

bessie wrote:I think this is interesting. I know how you feel about Shakespeare, but I don’t remember you ever giving an indication that you thought the mechanic in Crossover made the game unbalanced. How so?
Scum chat #296
I think Town had weak powers and a 13-3-2-2 setup with a probable recruit is bad for them numberwise.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:44 am UTC

@Freezeblade, where are you on your re-reads? Any thoughts?

Same with Liri

wam

Postby wam » Tue May 01, 2018 6:44 am UTC

@Bessie feeling paranoid thus morning ? Given sabrar was at l-2 24 hours into The game why do you think anyone would be looking for support against sabrar.

The link question is also interesting as I asked you Bessie as your meta knowledge and notes are very good!.

In terms of asking other people's opinion I think I have only done it twice. Once Bessie on sabrar, other laser and sabrar. The reason for asking laser is i was contemplating the posts looking like distancing between laser and sabrar but was happy with lasers response.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

wam

Postby wam » Tue May 01, 2018 6:53 am UTC

Marks posts are odd but I agree with

Sabrar wrote:
From his posting I don't see Mark_Cangila receiving advice from other players so if scum has day-chat I think he's Town.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue May 01, 2018 7:50 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle towards plytho wrote:Please explain what you find suspicious about Sabrar, and why his posts don't absolve him of that suspicion, as much as you can without giving away the town win con.
@Mark_Canglia - please could you answer this question too, and also about Vicarin. Please don't just quote other people's reasons, but try to put it in your own words.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 01, 2018 7:59 am UTC

@Liri, mpolo: any thoughts?

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue May 01, 2018 8:04 am UTC

Maven89 wrote: I feel like we're reaching the limits of decipherable conversation about Sabrar's post while still hiding the details. can I just come out and state it?
There are a few open questions out there, we should give everyone an opportunity to answer (don’t want to be rude after all :P ).

wam wrote:@Bessie feeling paranoid thus morning ?
Why yes I am! Paranoid is one of my typical states-of-being, along with :) , melancholic, :( , indecisive, :? , belligerent, :P, dejected, :x, aggressive, passive-aggressive, and so many many more.

wam wrote:Given sabrar was at l-2 24 hours into The game why do you think anyone would be looking for support against sabrar.
Hmm, how reminiscent of my unanswered question to you. Nice spin.

wam wrote:In terms of asking other people's opinion I think I have only done it twice. Once Bessie on sabrar, other laser and sabrar. The reason for asking laser is i was contemplating the posts looking like distancing between laser and sabrar but was happy with lasers response.
Don’t forget the fishing for opinions on Maven’s scum meta!

LaserGuy wrote:
bessie wrote:Well if it isn’t SDK! I have missed playing with you, although LaserGuy’s recent playstyle has reminded me a bit of yours.

I feel like I should print this off and frame it :D

At least, I'm assuming that's meant to be complimentary ;)
It is the greatest of compliments (at least most of the time)! :D

But on rare occasions, it can be the greatest of insults. :P

Ninja'd x2.

wam

Postby wam » Tue May 01, 2018 8:32 am UTC

I answered that question Bessie. I said I wanted your meta knowledge.

Had missdd your pojt on maven. If as you say im the one with the best knowledge I can see maven doing a gambit like that but it's less likely than say sabrar.

Also Bessie is likely town. Meta read.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue May 01, 2018 8:36 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
plytho wrote:First thoughts, Sabrar is suspicious and I don't feel his last posts absolve him of that suspicion.
Please explain what you find suspicious about Sabrar, and why his posts don't absolve him of that suspicion, as much as you can without giving away the town win con.
The initial ‘slip’ is pretty neutral in and of itself. More suspicious is Sabrar’s defense which is much less ‘I know exactly what you’re talking about but I’m not pointing it out for reasons’ and more like stalling while everyone is spilling information up to the point where making an educated guess has become low risk. Another suspicious thing is Sabrar's lack of scumhunting. I get that there's a lot of pressure so he has to defend himself a lot. But usually Sabrar is poking and prodding and trying to find scum D1. So far I haven't seen any of that. All he's done is vote maven for wanting to quicklynch him.

@Sabrar: who do you think is scum besides maven?

I’m a bit hesitant to play the pm-knowledge game, but Vic and maven look pretty good and Sabrar and wam not so much.

wam wrote:@Bessie

It was everyone stating that vics first post was town. I got a message to scum buddies ping the first time I read it. 2nd time round I couldn't see it.
What do you mean? You don’t remember which part of vics post looked like a message to buddies or vics following posts made him look better?

Vicarin wrote:
Sabrar wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:If you believe that scum has the Town wincon, what would be the point of avoiding giving them hints about this aspect of the game?
Never claimed to be infallible.

:roll:

Kind of have to assume that stuff like that isn't a mistake in a game like this, can't just have scum going "whoops I done goofed" whenever they do something weird.

I think you’re misreading this. “Never claimed to be infallible” doesn’t mean “I done goofed” it means “while I believe scum has the town wincon, I may be wrong, so I can’t rule out the assumption that they don’t and should still be careful about sharing information”
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

wam

Re:

Postby wam » Tue May 01, 2018 8:55 am UTC

@plytho neither. I read it once thought hmm that looks like a message to buddies. Then went back and read the first post again and didn't get the same vibe.

Meta note I normally read the thread with breakfast then come back an hour or 2 later.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Tue May 01, 2018 9:03 am UTC

plytho wrote:I think you’re misreading this. “Never claimed to be infallible” doesn’t mean “I done goofed” it means “while I believe scum has the town wincon, I may be wrong, so I can’t rule out the assumption that they don’t and should still be careful about sharing information”

Yeah, rereading it, fair enough.

I think at this point that it'd be useless to pretend that I was objecting to something other than the setup speculation in Sabrar's original post, so we can probably have people post further about their setup speculation now without giving away any more information than has been leaked already. There's definitely no need for someone to just state it like Maven wants to do.

I'm going to also request thoughts from the less active people about all this, same as Sabrar and Maven have been doing.

Sabrar

Re:

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 01, 2018 9:24 am UTC

plytho wrote:Another suspicious thing is Sabrar's lack of scumhunting. I get that there's a lot of pressure so he has to defend himself a lot. But usually Sabrar is poking and prodding and trying to find scum D1. So far I haven't seen any of that.
Seriously? We started D1 30 hours ago and I have spent 28 of that defending myself (actually 22, I also had to sleep). Plus beginning of month is always super busy for me at work which doesn't mean that I won't try to answer things as soon as possible but prevents me from a solid re-read. Besides that I have 1 scum-read, 1 possible town-read and very little to go on besides how people reacted to me (which is just filled with OMGUS). That's why I tried to prod people to provide more content. I feel like you're seriously downplaying my activity here.

plytho wrote:@Sabrar: who do you think is scum besides maven?
Looking at SDK right now, possibly bessie (which is a weird meta-read based on a single piece of info and needs to be revisited later when there is more content). Also LaserGuy hasn't done anything to make me unFoS him.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue May 01, 2018 11:08 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:I feel like you're seriously downplaying my activity here.
Not my intention. Your activity level is nominal. It's the content that feels lacking. I'd have to compare to other games where you're under similar pressure early on but I don't have time for that now. My gut feeling is town!you would be prodding more people, even under this kind of pressure.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Tue May 01, 2018 11:16 am UTC

Alright, I've been following. The last page I'll need to reread at some point.

Sabrar, you're accusing others of OMGUSing you, but it looks more like baiting people into suspicion of you. "A strong defense is the best offense" seems like your strategy at the moment. That doesn't mean it's scummy or not-scummy, but that's my interpretation of it. I was a little taken-aback by how quickly the votes on you piled up.

Since Sabrar pulled the conversation around himself, everyone else's names+posts (together) haven't stuck in my head as much. Going to [try to] take notes while reading through today and give more thoughts about everyone else.
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 01, 2018 11:23 am UTC

COULD PEOPLE STOP MISINTERPRETING WHAT I SAY??? Could you please not misinterpret everything I say?

Liri wrote:Sabrar, you're accusing others of OMGUSing you,
I'm assuming you're referring to this one:
very little to go on besides how people reacted to me (which is just filled with OMGUS)
I'm not accusing anyone else but me of OMGUS-ing, I would like to see other content that is not about me so I can judge it from an impartial pov.

@plytho: I'm fairly certain I've been accused of the same before (probably by LaserGuy), feel free to find it.

Sabrar

Re:

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 01, 2018 12:25 pm UTC

plytho wrote:More suspicious is Sabrar’s defense which is much less ‘I know exactly what you’re talking about but I’m not pointing it out for reasons’ and more like stalling while everyone is spilling information up to the point where making an educated guess has become low risk.
Please point out all the information that has been spilled before my updated setup-claim.

wam

Postby wam » Tue May 01, 2018 12:42 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:COULD PEOPLE STOP MISINTERPRETING WHAT I SAY??? Could you please not misinterpret everything I say?

NO :twisted:

wam

Postby wam » Tue May 01, 2018 12:45 pm UTC

Liris post seemed a bit waffly, but as their new will wait for the detailed notes.

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Tue May 01, 2018 12:49 pm UTC

Maven89 wrote:
Mark_Cangila wrote:I understand why. There is something in the wincon that means that it is bad to tell scum the town wincon.

I'm not sure how to take this

Also Sabrar was just joking when he said the two players were scum

Oh! He was joking. I'm dumb.

The reason I don't say the wincon is because it defeats the point.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 01, 2018 12:51 pm UTC

wam wrote:NO :twisted:

You're a big help... :roll:

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Tue May 01, 2018 12:54 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle towards plytho wrote:Please explain what you find suspicious about Sabrar, and why his posts don't absolve him of that suspicion, as much as you can without giving away the town win con.
@Mark_Canglia - please could you answer this question too, and also about Vicarin. Please don't just quote other people's reasons, but try to put it in your own words.

I'll answer in a few hours. I need some time to refresh myself on the thread.

Return to “Mafia”