Page 1 of 29

Alien Warfare Mafia (GAME OVER)

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:23 am UTC
by heuristically_alone
Alien Warfare

  • Mod: heuristically_alone
  • Size: 13
  • Speed: 7 IRL-day days, 2 IRL-day nights
  • Setup: Closed, I will tell no lies about setup
  • Bastardry: Minimal (intel reports there may be vote changing mechanics that may or may not be visible in votals)

Standard Rules:
Spoiler:
Posting rules:
  1. No posting in this thread unless you are playing in it.
  2. No talking about this game except in this thread or in an appropriately titled spoiler in the discussion thread.
  3. No player may read discussion spoilers about this game unless they are dead. There are no spoiler reading roles.
  4. No editing your posts. For any reason. At any time. Unless, of course, the mod tells you to.
  5. Do not lurk! One post per real-life day is the recommended minimum. Consideration will be given for weekends. Prods will be sent after 48 hours of inactivity. After another 24 hours without a post after being prodded will result in immediate replacement or modkill
  6. You may post in thread during the day phase but not the night phase. Deadlines are soft. You may keep posting in thread until the mod declares end of day phase.
  7. You may not post, nor quote directly from, any PM from a mod. Paraphrasing is fine.
  8. You may not play to lose, or act in a way that is clearly against your win condition.
  9. You may not use encryption systems in order to communicate privately or circumvent these rules.
  10. This is a game; it’s meant to be fun. Personal attacks or other offensive behaviour towards other players will result in immediate replacement or modkill.

Voting rules:
  1. Votes (and questions for the mod) must be posted in bold and on a new line, like this:

    Vote: Heury

    You do NOT have to unvote to change votes, but it makes things easier and will be very much appreciated if you do. You can unvote in bold and on a new line, like this:

    Unvote: Heury
    Vote: Alone

  2. When someone gains a majority of the votes, they are lynched.
  3. If deadline is reached and there is no player with a majority of votes, then the player with the most votes will be lynched.
  4. If the votals are tied at deadline, no lynch will occur and night will begin.

Death rules:
  1. You’re alive until you are hammered in a vote, or a mod tells you that you're dead, by PM or in thread.
  2. Once you die, you may no longer post content in this thread.
  3. Once you are dead you may read the spoilers in the discussion thread.

Private Message rules:
  1. You must include the mod in any PM you send related to this game.
  2. You can ask the mod questions by PM (at any time) if you'd rather not ask in thread.
  3. No communicating with other players concerning this game unless your role specifically allows it.


More Facts:
  • Humans are the town faction.
  • Roles/alignments were distributed randomly to the players.
  • The role and alignment of any dead player will be revealed at the start of the following day phase.
  • All players within a faction have the same wincon text.
  • Faction win conditions purposely left out of the Original Post.
  • Town win condition may have been provided to some other factions, all other factions, or no other factions.
PMs will be going out in the next few minutes. Please confirm in thread once you have received (and understood) yours. If you do not receive a PM in the next few hours, please PM me.
Questions may continue to be posted in thread along with confirmations, but please refrain from posting content until day start.



Player List:
  1. Sabrar (killed night 3) MERCORA
  2. wam (lynched day one) GARATRON
  3. LaserGuy
  4. jimbobmacdoodle (killed night 3) HUMAN
  5. Vicarin
  6. Maven89 Madge
  7. Mark_Cangila
  8. FreezeBlade
  9. mpolo (killed day 2) HUMAN
  10. plytho
  11. Liri (lynched day 2) GARATRON
  12. bessie
  13. SDK (killed night 2) MERCORA

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:03 am UTC
by Maven89
Confirmed

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:05 am UTC
by Sabrar
Confirm

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:05 am UTC
by LaserGuy
Confirmed

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:11 am UTC
by bessie
Confirm.

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:26 am UTC
by Sabrar
When will reveals happen and what will they contain?

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:40 am UTC
by heuristically_alone
The role and alignment of any dead player will be revealed at the start of the following day phase

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:01 am UTC
by plytho
Confirm

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:11 am UTC
by jimbobmacdoodle
Confirm.

Does a hammer vote immediately end the day, or can we continue talking after that?

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:13 am UTC
by heuristically_alone
You may continue to talk until I call end of day.

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:28 am UTC
by wam
Confirm

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:43 am UTC
by Vicarin
Confirm

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:28 am UTC
by Liri
Confirm

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:54 pm UTC
by Mark_Cangila
Confirm

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:26 pm UTC
by mpolo
Confirm

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Confirmation phase)

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:41 pm UTC
by heuristically_alone
We have 11/13 confirmed players. Game start will be no later than 4:00 UTC (less than 10 hours from now)

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Signups Closed)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:51 am UTC
by heuristically_alone
No one knows where they came from, but there are aliens living among us. We don't know why they are here or how many there are. We are hoping for a more diplomatic solution, but when push comes to shove, we have the fire power to take them out.They have taken on the form of humans and are indistinguishable from you and I which is why you, recruits, are here. With your help we hope for as minimal human casualties as possible, or at least less carnage then what my grandma did to the meatloaf at the family dinner party last Friday. With hope you can use your varying skills and expertise to save the human race.

-Federation of Intergalatic Sapiens


Alien Warfare has begun. Day 1 will end May 7th 4:00 am UTC or when a majority of votes has been reached. With 13 alive, it takes 7 to lynch.

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:25 am UTC
by Vicarin
Oh hey, I actually get to kick off the discussion first for once. Wasn't sure if this game would ever start with the confirmations taking so long :D

Found it interesting that the town win condition was not posted in the game setup info, asked about it, and apparently that's on purpose (post was updated to reflect these questions). Town all have the same win condition and there's a decent possibility that scum don't know exactly what it is, so discussing it is almost certainly a bad idea until we have more info.

Can't really speculate on setup from flavor much. Have some thoughts about the setup in general, but I want to hear from other people first.

Votes at end of day should obviously keep being piled if there's consensus, to avoid scum vote manipulation shenanigans. Don't assume a hammer has occurred.

I don't have anything to claim right now (being a miller, etc).

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:13 am UTC
by mpolo
Aliens in general make me a little worried about a cult mechanism (too many sci-fi works have this trope). Although the game is small enough that a cult would be really hard to root out.

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:13 am UTC
by Sabrar
Welcome to all newbies, hope you'll have a wonderful time!
@Mark_Cangila: could you please let us know your preferred pronoun(s) in the appropriate thread (or here)?

It's been so long I almost forgot how to play this game with standard setup... Let's see if I can remember.

8-3-1-1 with one town-friendly indie, bessie and plytho are town, LaserGuy and freezeblade are scum, SDK is just plain dangerous.

Vote: SDK

Hey, I've still got it! :)

Oh, wait.

Faction win conditions purposely left out of the Original Post.
This is strange and signifies either something weird going on or the mod deliberately messing with our heads.

All players within a faction have the same wincon text.
And this one. Why would someone think otherwise?

Vicarin wrote:Town all have the same win condition and there's a decent possibility that scum don't know exactly what it is, so discussing it is almost certainly a bad idea until we have more info.
I don't follow you. The only time scum not knowing what the town win-condition is would matter is when we could suss them out by discussing it and they make a mistake. So actually the opposite would follow from your assumption.

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:21 am UTC
by bessie
Welcome back mpolo!

Welcome Mark_Cangila! Do you have any experience playing mafia?

Vicarin wrote:Found it interesting that the town win condition was not posted in the game setup info, asked about it, and apparently that's on purpose (post was updated to reflect these questions). Town all have the same win condition and there's a decent possibility that scum don't know exactly what it is, so discussing it is almost certainly a bad idea until we have more info.

Can't really speculate on setup from flavor much. Have some thoughts about the setup in general, but I want to hear from other people first.
I’m very interested in your setup speculation. What is your guess as to the distribution (town/other)?

Ninja’d by Sabrar while I was typing this up. Hmmm.
Sabrar wrote:This is strange and signifies either something weird going on or the mod deliberately messing with our heads.
This game is supposed to have minimal bastardry. Sabrar, did you even read the opening post?

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:40 am UTC
by Vicarin
Sabrar wrote:
Vicarin wrote:Town all have the same win condition and there's a decent possibility that scum don't know exactly what it is, so discussing it is almost certainly a bad idea until we have more info.
I don't follow you. The only time scum not knowing what the town win-condition is would matter is when we could suss them out by discussing it and they make a mistake. So actually the opposite would follow from your assumption.


Yes, but that doesn't really work if someone immediately blurts it out. Better to catch someone by waiting until someone says something that is inconsistent with knowing the town win condition, and then calling them out.

In fact, I find your setup speculation very interesting for that reason...

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:47 am UTC
by LaserGuy
Vote: Sabrar

That post pings me.

bessie's does a little bit as well.

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:58 am UTC
by Sabrar
bessie wrote:This game is supposed to have minimal bastardry. Sabrar, did you even read the opening post?
You should be fully aware that I read it, however to me bastardry means weirdness in roles/setup/reveals/whatever and not weirdness in how the mod communicates them (as long as there is no lying).

Vicarin wrote:Yes, but that doesn't really work if someone immediately blurts it out. Better to catch someone by waiting until someone says something that is inconsistent with knowing the town win condition, and then calling them out.
But that won't happen unless we discuss it as scum is also aware of this (especially if you draw attention to it).

Vicarin wrote:In fact, I find your setup speculation very interesting for that reason...
LaserGuy wrote:Vote: Sabrar

That post pings me.

Similar to last time my post was written before receiving my role-pm. Strange that LaserGuy would forget so quickly. Also which part of it pinged you? Please specify.

Unvote
FOS: LaserGuy

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:09 am UTC
by Vicarin
Sabrar wrote:Similar to last time my post was written before receiving my role-pm. Strange that LaserGuy would forget so quickly. Also which part of it pinged you? Please specify.


Really, you just had a post that you wrote and had sitting around with no updates after reading the role pm? Hmmmm.

Also, if you knew what town knows, then you should know what I'm referring to (specifying it kinda defeats the whole damn point, you know). Is there anything in your initial post that you think town would find unusual?

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:12 am UTC
by LaserGuy
Vic, you should try to be less obvtown sometime :P It will be hard for you if you ever flip scum.

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:13 am UTC
by Vicarin
That hardly helped in Stellaris when I got chucked into the grinder on the last day :P

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:18 am UTC
by Sabrar
Vicarin wrote:Really, you just had a post that you wrote and had sitting around with no updates after reading the role pm? Hmmmm.
Exactly.

Vicarin wrote:Is there anything in your initial post that you think town would find unusual?
How in hell would answering this question help us?

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:24 am UTC
by bessie
Sabrar wrote:
bessie wrote:This game is supposed to have minimal bastardry. Sabrar, did you even read the opening post?
You should be fully aware that I read it, however to me bastardry means weirdness in roles/setup/reveals/whatever and not weirdness in how the mod communicates them (as long as there is no lying).
Interesting. How does this follow from the mod not posting the town win condition in the OP?

Sabrar wrote:Similar to last time my post was written before receiving my role-pm.
Sooooo, what’s your updated setup spec?

Vote: Sabrar

Reason: Not town.

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:26 am UTC
by Vicarin
Sabrar wrote:
Vicarin wrote:Is there anything in your initial post that you think town would find unusual?
How in hell would answering this question help us?


Because I'm thinking that you're almost certainly not town for posting something very, very weird. The way you keep avoiding giving an answer that would dispel my doubts (while not giving all the information away) is not very reassuring.

Vote: Sabrar

This seems like a decent lead for being this early in D1 to be honest.

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:37 am UTC
by Maven89
I noticed the issue with Sabrar and want his next post to point out his problem or else I'm perfectly fine with a quick lynch. I noticed it but wasn't sure if he was trying to bait, his response should prove it. Please no one give him a hint

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:38 am UTC
by wam
Well my rvs vote I was planning on sabrar would make it three so I will hold off. My initial read was actually the opposite of vics first post. I wondered if it was scum warning their mates. However on 're read I have discarded that.

As to sabrars response I think it's suspicious but not damming

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:39 am UTC
by mpolo
I don't want to push a too-quick lynch, but IGMEoY, Sabrar.

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:41 am UTC
by Sabrar
Maven89 wrote:or else I'm perfectly fine with a quick lynch.
Yep, clear Town this one.

Vote: Maven89

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:43 am UTC
by wam
So I was thinking about setup, I seem to remeber that huery wanted 13 players. So I would expect something wierd in there. Will think through what might drive 13 players for balance.

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:50 am UTC
by Vicarin
@Sabrar: I don't think that a quick lynch is the way to go as we've got ages to discuss stuff, but you're not doing a very good job of defending yourself.

@wam: He said in Gojoe that the minimum was 12 and that 13 was preferred, so there was some flexibility too.

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:07 am UTC
by Sabrar
Vicarin wrote:@Sabrar: I don't think that a quick lynch is the way to go as we've got ages to discuss stuff, but you're not doing a very good job of defending yourself.
I haven't been scum since Crossover, I tried to shake up my meta multiple times and I'm still accused in every single game of being weird. I get tired of that.

bessie wrote:How does this follow from the mod not posting the town win condition in the OP?
How do you reconcile minimal bastardry with the hypothetical situation of scum not being told the town win-con?

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:17 am UTC
by Maven89
Looking back at Sabrar's post and reading the role Pm again, i realize it's not actually as problematic as it first appeared. Despite that, Sabrar refusing to answer as to what part of his post was damning is really telling, as was his lame call back about making a post before role Pms came out

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:18 am UTC
by Maven89
Sabrar wrote:
Vicarin wrote:@Sabrar: I don't think that a quick lynch is the way to go as we've got ages to discuss stuff, but you're not doing a very good job of defending yourself.
I haven't been scum since Crossover, I tried to shake up my meta multiple times and I'm still accused in every single game of being weird. I get tired of that.


Sabrar, no one is talking about meta

Re: Alien Warfare Mafia (Day One)

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:27 am UTC
by Sabrar
Maven89 wrote:Despite that, Sabrar refusing to answer as to what part of his post was damning is really telling, as was his lame call back about making a post before role Pms came out
I'm avoiding giving hints to scum and was the reason why I posted my original setup without any modification. And I take offense at being called lame. I think pre-made posts are fun and shouldn't be taken seriously. I was very surprised when my previous attempt was over-analyzed and I'm again very surprised that people didn't learn anything from that.