Meta Mafia II: Day 5

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Diemo

Meta Mafia II: Day 5

Postby Diemo » Thu May 24, 2018 10:55 pm UTC

Meta Mafia II

XKCDians have once again been sampling the ju-ju-juice, and have forgotten who they are! I know, I know, we could just check our pockets, but where is the fun in that? Instead, as is tradition, we will lynch until everyone's true identity is known! Let the lynching begin!

Meta-mafia: Please send in the name of someone else who is active(ish) on the forums, or who was previously active. If the same person is picked multiple times, I will assign it randomly and assign someone who hasn't been picked to the people who didn't get their choice. Feel free to send in multiple choices - I'll do my best to give you your top choice.

Depending on the size, I will probably choose a game from here: https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?ti ... tal:Setups. It will most likely be a closed set-up.

There will be little to no mod bastardy - Information in bold is guaranteed to be accurate. Information in italics is for (shitty) story purposes only and can NOT be trusted. Role interactions will be set before game start. Alignment changing roles are possible but not guaranteed.

• Mods: Diemo
  • Size: Any
  • Speed: 5 IRL-day days, 2 IRL-day nights
  • Setup: Closed
  • Bastardry: Minimal (may contain hidden role elements and/or unexpected interactions - mod will not lie)

• Mods: Diemo and bessie
  • Size: 13
  • Speed: 5 IRL-day days, 2 IRL-day nights
  • Setup: Semi-open (Matrix14)
  • Bastardry: Minimal (may contain hidden role elements and/or unexpected interactions - mod will not lie)

Adam’s Standard RulesTM:
Spoiler:
  1. You cannot post in this thread unless you are alive and included in the player list.
  2. You cannot talk about this game outside of this thread, unless in an appropriately titled spoiler in the discussion thread.
  3. You cannot edit your posts.
  4. You cannot quote private messages from the mod.
  5. You cannot lurk.
  6. You cannot ruin the game for other players.
  7. You cannot say, imply, or pretend that a hammer vote has been cast unless it is obvious from counting the public votes in the thread.
  8. If you break any of these rules, you will lose, be removed from the game, and shame will be heaped on you.

Game Specific Rules:

Spoiler:
Deadline and Voting:
  1. You can unvote before changing votes, but you don’t have to. Only your most recent vote will count.
  2. Once a player has received the majority of votes (“hammer”), that player is dead. The day ends immediately.
  3. The mod will give the players a deadline for the end of each day. Once the deadline has been reached, players may still post and change votes (unless hammer has been reached). However, once the mod announces the end of day, all votes are finalized.
  4. If the mod comes online after deadline and no player has a majority of the votes, then the person with the most votes is lynched. If the votals are tied, then random.org will randomly select one of the tied players to be lynched, unless everyone is voting and the lynch is tied, in which case it is a No Lynch. No Lynch always wins ties.
  5. Deadline is generally a week.

Setup and Roles:
  1. The mod will never lie to the players, but they may tell slightly misleading truths (or not!).
  2. Flavour is for story purposes only - it contains no information about the current game state.
  3. Posting restrictions are suggestions only, you don't have to follow them if you don't want to.
  4. Roles and factions will be revealed on the morning after death. Role details (sanity, etc.) may or may not be revealed.
  5. Order of night actions and other setup information will not be disclosed until the game ends.
  6. Flavour gives no information about the game, and may or may not be consistent.
  7. There are no hidden mechanics in play.
  8. The setup is Matrix14 - a semi open setup. You can get the details here
[*] Where there is any difference between the role-lists and the table, I used the table in setting up the game.

Cryptology:
  1. You are not allowed to discuss different cryptography techniques or use any new techniques you learned since the game started.
  2. Any clues/breadcrumbs/codes must be solvable without using any tools, including pen and paper.
  3. You are not allowed to suspect anyone because of their refusal to use cryptography.
[/list]

Player: Role
Spoiler:
  • Madge: bessie
  • LaserGuy: Madge
  • Sabrar: Peaceful Whale
  • wam: Sabrar
  • moody7277 :Vytron
  • Vicarin :Zen
  • plytho: jimbob
  • mpolo: Sungara
  • SDK: DJ
  • threetwoone: hueristically_alone
  • jimbobmacdoodle: Freezeblade
  • Freezeblade: Snark
  • Mark_Cangila: SDK

Players
  • Madge
  • LaserGuy
  • Sabrar - Nightkilled D1 - Vanilla Town
  • wam
  • moody7277 - Lynched D4 - Mafia Goon
  • Vicarin - Lynched D1 - Vanilla Town
  • plytho - Killed N3 - Town Even Night Tracker
  • mpolo
  • SDK - Lynched D2 - Vanilla Town
  • threetwoone Boomfrog - Killed N4 - Vanilla Town
  • jimbobmacdoodle
  • Freezeblade - Killed N2 - Jailkeeper
  • Mark_Cangila - Lynched D3 - Vanilla Town

Role PMs are being sent. Please confirm when you have recieved them inthread. Game will begin when everyone has confirmed.

Sample Vanilla Town Role PM
Spoiler:
Flavour goes here

Vanilla Townie

You are a Vanilla Townie

Win Conditions:
You win if all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.

Abilities:
You have no special abilities, your strength is your vote and intellect.
Last edited by Diemo on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:42 pm UTC, edited 13 times in total.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Diemo

Re: Meta Mafia II: Pre-game

Postby Diemo » Thu May 24, 2018 10:57 pm UTC

It was a beautiful sunny afternoon in late May. Summer was near; the days were getting longer and warmer. The neighborhood children gathered at the little playground at the end of the street. There were three glorious months before they started school. They had been playing games all day; laughing and running until they were exhausted, then starting again. Tired, they gathered near the swings, some of them sitting in the shade beneath the slide. Soon their parents would appear, calling them home for dinner, and ending the games for the night. But there was still time to play one more game today.

moody7277: So what do you want to play next?
Mark_Cangila: Something with more running!
freezeblade: I’m tired of running. I want to rest for a while.
Diemo: I have a game with no running. You play like this, you sit in a circle and you talk about---

[Vicarin throws a ball at Diemo, hitting him in the shoulder]

Diemo: Ow! Why’d you do that?
Vicarin: Cause your game sounds bloody stupid already!
wam: idk if I want to play a game where you just sit around and talk to each other I think I want to play capture the flag again my mom wanted me to come home early anyway
mpolo: We should let Diemo explain the rules before we decide.
Diemo: [glares at Vicarin before addressing the group] It’s not stupid. Everyone gets a secret role. Most of the players are the town people. They’re the good guys. Some of the players are the mafia. They’re the bad guys. There may or may not be other teams, or players trying to win all by themselves. You talk and try to figure out who are the bad guys. Then you vote for the person ---

[SDK appears out of nowhere and joins the group]

SDK: Hello! Vote Sabrar.
Sabrar: SDK, pay attention. We haven’t started yet. Diemo is still explaining the rules.
LaserGuy: How do you pick who to vote for?
Diemo: You vote for whoever you think is the scummiest.
bessie: MADGE MADGE MADGE MADGE MADGE
Sabrar: bessie, your outburst is getting us nowhere. Please stop picking on Madge.
bessie: Why don’t you try and make me?

[bessie picks up a handful of sand, intending to throw it at Madge, and throws it at plytho instead]

plytho: [brushing the sand off his shirt] Hey, what was that for?
bessie: Because we’re going to have a fight. We fight every time we play a game. I’m starting early.
Madge: [pouts] Well if bessie’s going to be like that I’m not going to play. I’m just going to sit and watch for a while. Maybe I’ll play tomorrow.
jimbobmacdoodle: Yeah, why do you always have to be so mean to everyone?
Vicarin: Oh right. I don’t wanna play either if bessie’s just going to be a brat and ruin everything.

[bessie works her hand into the ground behind where she is sitting and readies another handful of sand]

threetwoone: I want to play!
LaserGuy: Who’s the new kid?
Diemo: [thinks for a moment] I have an idea. Instead of playing, bessie can help me run the game. bessie, you can go and get all the stuff we’ll need to play.
bessie: [drops sand] Ok, what do I need to get?
Diemo: We’re gonna need a rope.

Flavor inspiration
Written by bessie
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu May 24, 2018 11:34 pm UTC

Confirming!

And I'm about to leave work, I'll be back in the morning!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu May 24, 2018 11:35 pm UTC

Confirm.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu May 24, 2018 11:40 pm UTC

Got my PM! I'm so excited!

threetwoone

Postby threetwoone » Thu May 24, 2018 11:42 pm UTC

confirm and stuff haha
Last edited by threetwoone on Fri May 25, 2018 3:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
---Three Two One!---

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Fri May 25, 2018 12:06 am UTC

Confirm. This'll be fun.

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Fri May 25, 2018 12:07 am UTC

What are you guys' thoughts on there being a werewolf or SK? Matrix14 can have them.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri May 25, 2018 12:13 am UTC

Confirm.

Mark: Welcome! Feel free to come to me with any questions. I should mention though that during the confirmation phase we don’t post game content, so I will comment on your question when Diemo announces the start of Day one.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Fri May 25, 2018 12:17 am UTC

Ok. Quick off topic question: What should I do if a PM is stuck in my outbox?

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri May 25, 2018 12:19 am UTC

That means whoever you sent it to hasn’t read it yet. Wait for them to read it, or, if it’s been a while, you should accept they probably never will.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Mark_Cangila

Postby Mark_Cangila » Fri May 25, 2018 12:21 am UTC

Ohhhhhh. I thought it wasn't sending for some reason.

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri May 25, 2018 2:16 am UTC

Confirm.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 25, 2018 2:58 am UTC

Confirm.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Fri May 25, 2018 4:40 am UTC

Confirm
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri May 25, 2018 6:50 am UTC

Confirm
Image <-- Evil experiment

wam

Postby wam » Fri May 25, 2018 7:09 am UTC

Confirm
Come join us playing mafia signup here

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri May 25, 2018 7:31 am UTC

Confirm
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

wam

Postby wam » Fri May 25, 2018 10:58 am UTC

That's 12/13 let's roll!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:30 pm UTC

Confirm.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri May 25, 2018 12:54 pm UTC

Diemo passed the thirteen folded scraps of paper around the circle, instructing each of his friends to take one.

Diemo: Did everyone get a paper? Open it but don’t show it to anyone else.
Sabrar: Yes I have one. Is it time to start?
Diemo: No we’re going to wait and make sure everyone has a paper and they understand their role in the game.
Vicarin: I got one of your stupid pieces of paper now what?
mpolo: Please Vicarin, there’s no reason to be like that, you need to give it a chance.
jimbobmacdoodle: bessie’s not back, shouldn’t we wait for her?
Madge: No hurry let’s start without her.
Mark_Cangila: Yeah I see no reason to wait.
Diemo: All right, all right. Does everyone understand the game and what they’re supposed to do?

Diemo’s eyes moved around the circle, observing the thirteen small faces nodding at him.

Diemo: You may begin.

It is now D1. Deadline is Wednesday 30th May 3PM GMT+1
--Douglas Adams

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 25, 2018 12:56 pm UTC

Hi friends, especially new ones! I fear it will become confusing for me to figure out who is who but I will try my best... No indie-friends I see? So sad, they can be fun. What do you think of the setup? I've never heard of Fruit Vendor before but I think we should claim if we receive an apple (remember Fridge? :P )
321 please don't edit your posts in the future, you can collect a lot of mod-votes that way... Trust me I know...
I hope I won't be lynched D1 again, I know that I look scummy but I promise to try harder...

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri May 25, 2018 1:06 pm UTC

Oh boy

Here and ready to toooooooown!

Vote: wam

because Sabrar is usually pretty dangerous.

Two questions:

What's everyone's favourite number from 1 to 14?

What number do you HATE from 1 to 14?

PW's post seems a little weird, what's this about no indie friends?

bessie and Diemo why would you do this, I have no idea what I'm doing...

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri May 25, 2018 1:16 pm UTC

I hate Day 1. I'm not sure what I've got much to say currently.

<By the way, I'm not going to be too good at the role-playing - sorry freezeblade>.

Judging by wam's eagerness, I should vote for him. Keenness to start is obviously a scummy trait:

Vote wam

I don't see much point in setup speculation at this point. Will maybe think about any strategies we could use.

Ninja'ed by Vicarin... errrmm Zen?

Numbers - hate = 13; Love = 11.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri May 25, 2018 1:23 pm UTC

Let's start with some speculation:
I was going to go through what I expect from all the characters, but I realized that a few of them are probably going to be very subtile, and I'd lose my reputation for guessing everything right by the end of the first day.

As a Vanilla town role was provided in the first post, I suspect that we have a lot of those. I'm having problems with https at the moment (but only on some sites) -- in any case, I can't look up the expected power roles for Matrix_14. Maybe somebody could post a short version here?

My favorite number from 1 to 14 is clearly 8, since I'm the eighth player on the list. The only number that I am currently sure is scum is number 14.

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri May 25, 2018 2:18 pm UTC

Being Djehutynakht, I probably don't have time for this game since I need to spend so much time figuring out how to spell my username every time I log in, but I'll do my best. Sorry in advance for any lurking.

mpolo wrote:As a Vanilla town role was provided in the first post, I suspect that we have a lot of those. I'm having problems with https at the moment (but only on some sites) -- in any case, I can't look up the expected power roles for Matrix_14. Maybe somebody could post a short version here?

Each Setup contains 6 Vanilla Townies and 1 Mafia Goon. The mod decides on one of the 14 setups randomly which each have a different assortment of power roles. Fruit Vendor is funny.

Most importantly, it also decides whether or not we have multiple factions - two of the 14 games are multiball 9/2/2 games, and three of the 14 have an SK with 9/3/1. The other nine setups are 10/3 standard mafia.

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Matrix_14

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri May 25, 2018 2:18 pm UTC

Whoops! Almost forgot: Vote wam.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 25, 2018 2:22 pm UTC

Is jimbob scum for placing a second joke-vote on me from the alternate reality? It could be... He usually is against these things except when he's scum like in Dark Tower...

I like 3 and hate 7.

I see DJ is trying to help which is very nice of him but he got confused?? Only 1 setup is 9-3-1 and 2 of them are 10-2-1. Not that we will know which is which for a while.

Oh, ninja-d. Original SDK was also scum in Dark Tower. Is this a repeat performance????

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri May 25, 2018 2:25 pm UTC

Meant to say also that the rest of the power roles are pretty standard. Doctor, Tracker, Watcher, Cop, Commuter, Bodyguard, Jailer, 1-shot Vig, Neighbourizer, Universal Backup... I think I got them all.

Possible Mafia abilities include Roleblocker, Rolecop, 2-shot Strongman, Godfather, and JOAT (ninja, strongman, roleblocker).

Worth noting that the SK (if there is one) has the option of being Bulletproof or Investigation Immune each night (not both). Also, if there is an SK, the mafia faction has daychat. Otherwise, it's only nightchat (11/14 chance).

PEDIT: Oh, right. Thanks Sabrar. No need to be mean about it though. :cry:

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri May 25, 2018 2:26 pm UTC

Further correction in that case: daychat is only in the 10:2:1 setups (2/14, not 3/14).

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri May 25, 2018 3:05 pm UTC

Jimbob is playing me, and said they hate D1.

Sounds scummy (great roleplaying!)

Anyone who votes for people off of their confirmation post will get a vote from me, fair warning.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri May 25, 2018 3:12 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Anyone who votes for people off of their confirmation post will get a vote from me, fair warning.
Why haven't you voted for me then?

Also the avatars changing is so confusing... *grumbles something else about D1*

Guess I'll have to update mine at some point. @other-freezeblade, do you have a copy of your previous picture, as otherwise I can't change to it...!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri May 25, 2018 3:12 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:<By the way, I'm not going to be too good at the role-playing - sorry freezeblade>.
Neither am I, sorry jimbob. Although I guess I should be fine as we've already established we're the same person :)

I'm sort of assuming 10-3 no daychat until we start dropping power roles to narrow down the options.

As far as setup knowledge goes VT's (vanilla townies) don't know anything, PT's (powered townies) can narrow things down to 2-4 possibilities, werewolves/SK have 2 possibilities and mafia might know the exact setup after N1 but probably have some possibilities open.

@threetwoone: do you have any mafia experience? If so, what's your experience? If not: Welcome to mafia, feel free to ask us any general questions you have about the game and we will do our best to help.

Sabrar wrote:I think we should claim if we receive an apple
Why do you think so?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Fri May 25, 2018 3:19 pm UTC

I have a few seconds to look at the setup, now with working https…

So the fruit vendor is essentially a way to hint that someone is townie, but very easy to bluff against. It seems rather low in utility, but I could be missing something. We need more roles with bunnies in them, frankly.

Set-up 6 is nice for having a doctor and a backup in it.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 25, 2018 3:23 pm UTC

plytho wrote:
Why do you think so?
I don't understand you... I thought that would be obvious... Don't you want to try to figure it out for yourself?

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
freezeblade wrote:Anyone who votes for people off of their confirmation post will get a vote from me, fair warning.
Why haven't you voted for me then?
Good point!

vote: Jimbobmacdoodle

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:@other-freezeblade, do you have a copy of your previous picture, as otherwise I can't change to it...!

I just realized that I didn't save a copy first, and I've changed computers twice since I created it (for batmafia II). It's possible that using google's cache you may find a cache'd copy. I may go back to my old avatar after this, or a permutation of.

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
plytho wrote:
Why do you think so?
I don't understand you... I thought that would be obvious... Don't you want to try to figure it out for yourself?
It's not obvious to me. I'm against town claiming when it's not necessary.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 25, 2018 3:31 pm UTC

Yes, but that's very different from claiming as no PR-s will be revealed.

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri May 25, 2018 3:35 pm UTC

Still, it's providing information to scum.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 25, 2018 3:44 pm UTC

If scum has JOAT + Roleblocker they already knew the setup because those 2 don't occur anywhere else together.
They gain some info if it's Strongman + Rolecop, though due precisely to Rolecop they might have figured it out already.
Meanwhile if we have a Cop s/he will know that there is no GF or SK, meaning any result they have can be trusted 100%.
We will all know that we don't have look for SK and can focus on uncovering connections between scum.
I think we gain more info.

Return to “Mafia”