Poetry Slam Mafia: Game over - Slammed in the Slamer

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Re: Poetry Slam Mafia: D2 - Igonorance is diss

Postby plytho » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:09 pm UTC

plytho wrote:8/10
8/11
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:45 pm UTC

Votals:
Diemo 2 - LaserGuy, plytho
LaserGuy 1 - Diemo

Deadline in 7 hours.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:39 pm UTC

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
I thin there's no question
What we have to do.

The only puzzle
Was if scum would be bold
And choose not to kill
But rather withhold

Would scum take a risk
That Town would be clear
If a cop or something
Would suddenly appear?

Or would they rather
Take the risk
That a blocked kill
Would throw something amiss?

I think that scum
Would not cower
And rather use their kill
To limit Town's power

From the night then
It is quite clear
That Diemo must be
The one to fear

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Diemo is scum
Please vote for him too.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:53 am UTC

Megan Stalls @ChickenForDinDin
Diemo is the one ruining this poetry slam. #ActuallySlamDiemo

Randolf Random @RanRan64927
I've carefully considered the facts and I believe somitomi is manipulating the contest. #DiemoDidNothingWrong

George Michaels @CrazyInTheKitchen
And what "facts" are those? #ActuallySlamDiemo

Alice Formula @AliFor64527
I've carefully considered the facts and I believe somitomi is manipulating the contest. #DiemoDidNothingWrong

Beatrice Gallas @MyGoatsAreBetter
Ha! Look at the bots trying to astroturf the topic. What a joke. #ActuallySlamDiemo

Xavier Xylophone @XavXyl45297

Patrick Huerr @Jalapino4You
#ActuallySlamDiemo

Christopher Robin @NotThatChristopher
#ActuallySlamDiemo

LaserGuy turns to Diemo. "It seems the internet agrees with me. The hashtag 'Actually slam Diemo' has reached a million retweets. By internet law, I'm afraid I'm required to do this."

"No, wait..." Diemo protests, but he was too slow. LaserGuy picked him up and body slammed him to the floor. The video went viral and the entire incident became a major motion picture starring Dwayne The Rock Johnson.

Diemo had been voted off. He was "New Wave", mafia tracker. The game is over, town wins. Congratulations wam, somitomi, plytho and LaserGuy.
Last edited by BoomFrog on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:02 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:56 am UTC

I'll post roles later. I hope everyone enjoyed the game. I was really impressed by the poetry. I think the combo of restricted posts plus a single creative outlet for extra effort was a good combination.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:16 am UTC

Yay! Good game all.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:46 am UTC

Ooops, I should've come back...
Good game though, thanks BoomFrog. I liked the flavor
—◯-◯ FG Discord

plytho

Postby plytho » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:00 am UTC

Clearly I was overthinking things :D

Go town!

BoomFrog, I really enjoyed the game. I agree the combo of short posts with one big one worked great. Would play this format again. I don't expect it to scale up well, though. 5 players worked great, but I think 7 might already push it if you want everyone to be able to talk about everyone.

Wam, I was pretty convinced you were scum, but I was also afraid you'd poison me if you were town so there was some self-interest involved.

Diemo, I liked your casual response to the pressure D1. I think you sort of tripped over LaserGuy's meta. He has a habit of expressing strong opinions. To me they didn't come across as him 'knowing' alingments.

Somitomi, thanks for that slip, I would have probably kept pushing you otherwise. I think you should put some effort in putting original opinions out there. Try to say something that hasn't been said before.

LaserGuy, good call on keeping things simple. You really were thinking exactly like me D1 which kept my gut town read on you.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:30 am UTC

Shout outs:

wam: Sorry I lynched you! Was really starting to think I misread you at the end there, but I took great offense to your late vote on me :D

somitomi: Nice block! Made life much easier.

Diemo: I enjoyed playing with you. You put up a good fight even in the face of being lynched and having a very incriminating blocked kill against you.

plytho: Thanks for being super townie all game. I'm glad I finally read you properly for once :P You handled this format very well and kept the intensity up all game. Also you're very sneaky for hiding your doctor ability, even if it never actually came into effect.

BoomFrog: Thanks for hosting. I like this format quite a bit. I tend to agree that scaling it up could be tricky, but you can always add more posts I guess. I think for this few players, maybe 5 days phases and 2 day nights was a bit long. Would definitely play again.

plytho

Postby plytho » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:58 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Also you're very sneaky for hiding your doctor ability, even if it never actually came into effect.
That was my WWZD this game :D

It was a very strong doctor that returned a result if I successfully protected. I knew from N1 that you weren't targeted. So until somi claimed roleblocker I believed scum withheld. That's probably why I kept that mindset even after somi claimed.

I do think withholding was a valid scum strategy as it increases the odds of surviving to N2 at the cost of an extra town PR surviving.

Diemo wrote:Stupid plytho seeing right through me. If I survive, I'm going to kill you :evil:

I'm flattered :D

And thanks, somi for protecting me!

Sabrar wrote:Damn, that poem from plytho is fantastic. I'm so glad I didn't sign up for real, no way I could match that.
Thanks! But that shouldn't stop you from playing.
I strayed from the suggested haiku format and went for a simple AABB rhyme for efficiency.
I did use haiku in my first posts both days as part of my doctor crumb: the starting letters of my first posts spell ISHsI which is japanese for doctor.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:28 pm UTC

Spoilertime
BoomFrog wrote:Uh, oh... I forgot to put in the roleblocker can't repeatedly target the same person thing... this might get painful.

Or not. :lol:
Diemo wrote:On game thoughts, I think having only a hundred and fourty characters is too limiting. It really makes it hard to make a good argument. It also makes it take a lot longer, because I have to condense everything down so much.

Yeah, that's something I had a little difficulty with and I was pretty happy about the limitation at first (yay, less reading). Maybe setting the limits in words rather than characters would help, I had a lot of "wait, does that s refer to me or scum" moments this game.
Sabrar wrote:I'm loving how the players re-invented the lingo due to character limit.

It does take a little getting used to though...
—◯-◯ FG Discord

wam

Postby wam » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:46 pm UTC

Yeah great game thanks for running it. I struggled more with the limit than people thought I would clearly!

Laser sorry for the switch to you but thought diemo was being too aggressive for scum clearly I was wrong!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:19 am UTC

Role PMs
Spoiler:
Tracker (ninja kill)
poisoner with cure
compulsive roleblocker
woke doctor (Doc who also is told they stopped a kill if successful)
Rolecop

---------------------------------------------------
New Wave

They said your computer generated poetry wasn't 'real' poetry. Well now they will see. Your army of twitter bots will destroy all of their reputations and they only you will be left standing. The most critically acclaimed poet of your generation! The creator of an entirely new style.

Poetry style: Machine generated. I encourage you to put your 'poem' through google translate a few times before posting it. This is in no way a requirement.

Night Action:

Tracker: You can target a player each night. You will be told who they targeted that night. If they do not target anyone or you are blocked you will receive "no result".

Mafia bonus action:
You also can target someone to eliminate from the game each night. This is in addition to your other power. You know you are such a ninja leet hacker that this action cannot be tracked or watched.

Win Condition:
You win when all other players are eliminated or their elimination is inevitable.

Example of the town win condition:

Win Condition:
You are town. You win when all anti-town factions are eliminated.

Acid Jaxx

Poetry would be so much better if it weren't for all the people. People ruin everything. You wish everyone would just listen to you and leave you alone with your muse.

Poetry Style: Aggressive spoken word poetry. You are encouraged to write your poem as an aggressive and judgmental spoken word poem. This is in no way a requirement.

Night Action:
Poisoner: You can target a player each night. Your target will be eliminated the next night unless they are cured.
1-shot Cure: You can target a player each night. Your target will be cured of any poison. You can use this at the same time as your other night actions. You may self-target with this.

Win Condition: You are town. You win when all anti-town factions are eliminated.
Mrs McDonald

There's never been anything funnier then a good limerick. They are the people's poetry! Rise up people! Don't let the man get you down!

Poetry Style:
Limericks. You are encoraged to write your poem as several limericks. This is in no way a requirment.

Night Action:
Compulsive Roleblocker:
You must target a player each night. Your target will be blocked, and their night actions will fail.

Win Condition: You are town. You win when all anti-town factions are eliminated.
Matsuo Basho Jr.

You will restore honor to the classic Haiku style of poetry. Or just make something new up, that would blow all of their minds...

Poetry Style:
Haiku. You are encouraged to write your poem as one or more Haikus. This is in no way a requirement.

Night Action:
Doctor: You can target a player each night. Your target will be saved from any type of night elimination. If you block an elimination in this way you will be told what the attempted cause of elimination was.

The Big Time

You came here to write poetry and take your opponents to the mat, but apparently a poetry slam doesn't include any wrestling! I guess you'll just have to stick to the poetry.

Poetry Style: Classic Roses are red. You are encouraged to write your poem as several verses with traditional ABCB rhyming that start with "Roses are red" as the first line of each verse. This is in no way a requirement.

Night Action:
Rolecop: You can target a player each night. You will be told all of their available night actions. This will not reveal the mafia night elimination.

LaserGuy was right that the town roles were relativly scummy. It was bad luck for Diemo that plytho false claimed because that made tracker stick out more then it should have. In retrospect I went overboard and should have kept at least two townie roles for town.

Poisoner was intended to punish scum for withholding since in 5-1 withholding is a statistically valid strategy. The roleblocker technically doesn't actually help town unless the poisoner is alive IF I'd remembered to put in the "can't target same person twice" clause. Unfortunately I forgot to include that, 'fortunately' that didn't come up (although I think planning to have to survive a 3rd lynch is what caused diemo to act scummy D2). Roleblocker was unlikely to actually prove anything, although targeting the compulsive roleblocker was the best use of the power. I gave the extra information boost to the doctor, because saving someone from the NK in 4-1 isn't actually helpful (unless the poisoner targeted well).

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the format. I agree that I would limit word count instead of characters next time. I enjoyed reading darkest dungeon more then the abbreviated tweet 'words'. I think it could scale up fairly well, but the post count might need to go up a bit. Maybe two times the number of Players per player? That makes the thread grow exponentially... I think I'd try keeping it at 10 posts a day still and see what happens. It's impossible to accommodate the low volume people without frustrating the high volume people, so the goal is to frustrate the high volume people in an enjoyable, challenging way.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:37 am UTC

Well, Darkest Dungeon with a character limit would probably have ended up pretty similarly to how it was anyway, seeing as any saving provided by shortening the lingo would be offset by the words required to explain the shortening.

I definitely enjoyed the limitation in Darkest Dungeon, trying to see how much info I could cram in this would have been fun :).

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:31 pm UTC

Good work town.

I like the format, because the amount of reading is significantly less than a normal game. I just think that 140 characters is too small - I think that even 140 words would be too small. But having a limit of 10 posts I liked - essentially when I play I go on once a day if that, so having less posts actually helps. Maybe have a limit on posts but not on how long those posts should be?

I did like that I was a ninja kill - which was completely useless as I was the only tracker in the game :).

Clearly I was overthinking things

I actually meant to change to somitomi after my last batch of posts - I was going to wait for like an hour and then switch after pretending to be thinking about it for ages. But then I got distracted, oh well.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:34 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:t's impossible to accommodate the low volume people without frustrating the high volume people

Good, damn the high volume people :twisted:
Diemo wrote:Maybe have a limit on posts but not on how long those posts should be?

I think that would slow down the game even more. If there's no upper limit to post length, everyone would be inclined to wait around half the day before posting a monolithic wall of text to reduce post count.
—◯-◯ FG Discord

Return to “Mafia”