The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

greenlover

Re: DISCUSSION THREAD/Gojoe canNEVER be trusted

Postby greenlover » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:03 am UTC

Werewolf + Mafia:
Spoiler:
Me, in thread wrote:Also, I look forward to your refutation. I hope you rip it to shreds, honestly.

...so that I can finally claim my role! Yayyyyyy.

Edit - messed up formatting, sorry.

more_people

Postby more_people » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:20 am UTC

DttC
Spoiler:
So I'm scum, there is eight of us and there is a power role in our group. Not mentioning anyone for their protection.

Not A Raptor

Postby Not A Raptor » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:09 am UTC

DttC:
Spoiler:
We need to have an excellent night in order to make things work out. I wish I knew who some teammates were. Also, I'm so glad I can't be killed. That'll make things real easy until the scum know I have that power. They already know I'm town, after all.
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:20 am UTC

Resistance 3.5
Spoiler:
And I would call that game, if what I have read is correct. Webby, Adam H and roband are spies, I do believe.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Ibarra

Postby Ibarra » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:24 am UTC

PyP SNES
Spoiler:
Lorenz has pinged me so much now. So much that I lied about part of my role.
Call it a gambit on him. IDK why he would lie about not eating the carrot.
I did give it out to him. Gut says he's not town.
Red text is for solid facts.
Blue text is for accusations.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:18 am UTC

Scummer:
Spoiler:
If they didn't even catch that I would Laugh.

webby

Postby webby » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:27 pm UTC

Mafia + Werewolf:
Spoiler:
I'm not getting much in the way of scumtells in this game - it's very hard to play as town, because scum has an incentive to scumhunt. We're in a 50-50 position really, the luck of the night is going to play a large part in deciding things.

Resistance 3.5:
Spoiler:
Still looking good for the win, would love for it to be a triple fail!

DTTC:
Spoiler:
The third ever vote placed on me! The first was Lataro and he was a lyncher for me, the second was John Citizen in the same game, and he was scum. And this is a distancing vote, which, btw is awesome wine. Claiming that I'm scummy for suggesting scum would vote for scum, while being scum voting for scum? :P

PyP SNES:
Spoiler:
Ok, this game I actually have no idea what's going on. Tempted to think it's 7 townies and Lataro messing with us - maybe he's the anti-town faction we have to get rid of. Very tempted to try vig kill Lataro tonight. :P

Dark Loink

Postby Dark Loink » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:07 pm UTC

Scummer:
Spoiler:
Smart, TLC. Since John agreed with your 7:1 ratio, you now know that he is scum.
Now is your time to solidify yourself as a townie. If that was your intention.

a-wan

Postby a-wan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:26 pm UTC

Resistance 3.5:
Spoiler:
My faith in humanity will be shaken if they pass a three spy team. Where did boomfrog go?

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

PYP SNES
Spoiler:
Argh... I hope I was convincing enough. Stupid Ibarra, handing over messenger carrots.
I mean... It's not like I refused the carrot. I took it and threw it away. Unless the carrot had a camera I don't understand how Ibarra figured it out :P.

cjdrum

Postby cjdrum » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:39 pm UTC

PYP SNES:
Spoiler:
ForAllOfThis wrote:Out of the remaining three players I haven't mentioned; I'm getting fairly townie vibes from CJ and no real pings from Webby or Wei, but not a strong townie vibe either (which always un-nerves me a little).

Great.
:shock:

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:54 pm UTC

cjdrum wrote:PYP SNES:
Spoiler:
ForAllOfThis wrote:Out of the remaining three players I haven't mentioned; I'm getting fairly townie vibes from CJ and no real pings from Webby or Wei, but not a strong townie vibe either (which always un-nerves me a little).

Great.

PYP SNES:

Spoiler:
Dude, that means you're actually playing a jester correctly! It's no fun if you just out and out go for getting D1 lynched by acting annoying, that's too easy, assuming you don't just get vig killed for it. Real men act townie then get themselves lynched at a later date by making a "massive scum tell" on "accident", because that's true pro jester, hence, the bonus win for playing it right and getting lynched D3.

Edited to add:

Or they insult AMT/women in general in order to "buy" her vote and go for a win. :P
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:06 am UTC

Lataro wrote:PYP SNES:
Spoiler:
Or they insult AMT/women in general in order to "buy" her vote and go for a win. :P

PYP SNES:
Spoiler:
Oh go to hell.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:39 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
Lataro wrote:PYP SNES:
Spoiler:

PYP SNES:
Spoiler:
Oh go to hell.

PYP SNES:

Spoiler:
I'm really just replying to make people paranoid. That and cuz it worked! :twisted:

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:59 am UTC

Lataro wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm really just replying to make people paranoid. That and cuz it worked! :twisted:

PYP SNES:
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure Aaeri isn't questioning the effectiveness of your tactics. She was calling you out for associating complete-asshole tactics with being a "true pro jester" or "real man".

Lataro... people have probably told you this already, but, you're an asshole. I don't like it that you're an asshole, and to me, you being an asshole is one of the more negative traits of the XKCD mafia community as a whole. I don't know whether you don't know or just don't care, but...

Could you please at least acknowledge the criticism Aaeriele is making here?
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:14 am UTC

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Lataro wrote:
Spoiler:

PYP SNES:
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure Aaeri isn't questioning the effectiveness of your tactics. She was calling you out for associating complete-asshole tactics with being a "true pro jester" or "real man".

Lataro... people have probably told you this already, but, you're an asshole. I don't like it that you're an asshole, and to me, you being an asshole is one of the more negative traits of the XKCD mafia community as a whole. I don't know whether you don't know or just don't care, but...

PYP SNES:

Spoiler:
Not that this really applies to the actual game, however, someone might read and see jester and that'd ruin it.

See, here's the thing. I don't really care. I have a very abrasive sense of humor at times, it is the way I am, and I don't have a problem with myself, I like myself, with all my little things that make me, me. If someone doesn't like it, it is their problem, not mine. Part of that abrasiveness is my belief in "suck it up". If you are easily offended by off hand comments, then, that's not my problem, and I won't let others try and put their PC BS crap on me. If someone can't take a statement as it's meant and wants to get twisted about it, then they are the one shoving the stick up their ass, and it's not my problem. If you don't like me, I think I'll manage to continue my life just fine knowing that.

Anyway, since you want to get to brass tacks over it though, please, show me where I made any kind of association with the two. They are completely separate statements, one made in opinion of the jester role, and an added afterthought made in jest. If you want to bitch about stuff, at least try to not twist statements to suit your purpose, and since you're so sensitive on the issue, I'll spare your feelings here and stop this sentence.

How's that for a response?

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:31 am UTC

Lataro wrote:I won't let others try and put their PC BS crap on me.
FUCK YOU
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:51 am UTC

Lataro wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:
Lataro wrote:
Spoiler:

PYP SNES:
Spoiler:

PYP SNES:

Spoiler:
Not that this really applies to the actual game, however, someone might read and see jester and that'd ruin it.

See, here's the thing. I don't really care. I have a very abrasive sense of humor at times, it is the way I am, and I don't have a problem with myself, I like myself, with all my little things that make me, me. If someone doesn't like it, it is their problem, not mine. Part of that abrasiveness is my belief in "suck it up". If you are easily offended by off hand comments, then, that's not my problem, and I won't let others try and put their PC BS crap on me. If someone can't take a statement as it's meant and wants to get twisted about it, then they are the one shoving the stick up their ass, and it's not my problem. If you don't like me, I think I'll manage to continue my life just fine knowing that.

Anyway, since you want to get to brass tacks over it though, please, show me where I made any kind of association with the two. They are completely separate statements, one made in opinion of the jester role, and an added afterthought made in jest. If you want to bitch about stuff, at least try to not twist statements to suit your purpose, and since you're so sensitive on the issue, I'll spare your feelings here and stop this sentence.

How's that for a response?

PYP SNES:
Spoiler:
Well, okay. That position is logically consistent enough that I can apply game theory to it. And I happen to not be sensitive to what you wrote in it, but that's a tangent I think. Anyway, I suppose I should just go back to mostly ignoring your "abrasive" posts like I usually do. FWIW, I don't dislike you (well, for that matter, I don't know you), I just dislike the fact that you say yucky stuff.

But first, let me answer this:
Lataro wrote:Anyway, since you want to get to brass tacks over it though, please, show me where I made any kind of association with the two.

Alright then, if I have to spell it out for you. You said,
Lataro wrote:Real men [behave in a certain way].
Or they insult AMT/women in general in order to "buy" her vote and go for a win.

That pretty clearly says that one of the things "real men" do is to say misogynistic things in order to manipulate AMT. I notice that you said "I don't really care" but didn't actually claim to know what we dislike about you but not care, and I'm really suspecting at this point that you actually don't know. I mean, this was pretty straightforward linguistically, so I'm assuming a social rather than a linguistic reason for you not realizing that's what you said.
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:05 am UTC

So...

wtf is up with homestar scummer? It started just after my hiatus... and it's still going... almost 5 months later...

I suppose I could go read the thread, and probably will in the next day or so, but seriously?

Also, how is everybody?
Where did my old signature go? :(

roband

Postby roband » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:19 am UTC

I'm surprised you're not classed as an 'active' player, if you've only been gone that long.

Zing!

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:24 am UTC

Is that a serious comment on the health of the subforum?

roband

Postby roband » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:25 am UTC

I meant that you could have signed up for that game, not posted anything for 5 months, and still not get modkilled.

I don't know if that's true or not, but damn, it's taking its sweet time

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:49 am UTC

Dr Ug wrote:wtf is up with homestar scummer? It started just after my hiatus... and it's still going... almost 5 months later...

We were playing in the game for almost half a year? D:

It didn't feel that way.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:40 pm UTC

Dark Loink wrote:Scummer:
Spoiler:
Boomfrog doesn't know this, but a full claim to homestar can't happen. If they use emails too much(and homestar want to do it daily!! :twisted: ) They will get a virus. They don't know this, of course. Besides, homestar could die at any time, and he doesn't know what to trust in these pms.
Plus, only scum have thought of that. And homestar is so freakin big in terms of characters, we included onion bubs.
There aren't enough town cops to make mass-claiming broken, either. Two are already dead, and that leaves slbub. Boomfrogs a little too worried, since his faction is made up of loosely related characters in a scum faction.
Nice to know people are thinking, though. I didn't consider mass-claiming to homestar, mainly since I didn't know if he could trust it. And anyways-it'd be the same as massclaiming...in thread. Homestar doesn't have powers besides getting emails, what is he supposed to do afterwards?
Homestar Scummer
Spoiler:
He would answer an email saying, X is the most suspicious person based on the info I've got from everyone's mass claim. Or X, Y, Z, pick one of them to lynch. He could have anonymously directed town. Yes it would end when he got NKed but it's all the benefits of a massclaim D1 with none of the drawbacks. (assuming homestar is a good scum hunter. This plan would put a ton of responsibility into his hands.)

And the claims would have included powers and a confirm code to ensure each person only sent one personal claim.

EDIT: I think TLC has given up, because he thinks he is the only scum left.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

R 3.5:

Spoiler:
So... if roband or adam H are spies, the game is pretty much over right now.

If roband is a spy, he either mocks town, openly claiming spy and putting forth an all spy mission, forcing a fourth rejection, then he NC's adam H's team.
If adem H is a spy, he mocks town, openly claiming spy, NC's roband's team, then refuses to put forth a team of his own, or puts forth an all spy team, forcing a fifth rejection or a spy mission victory.

Edit: Fail on my part, forgot that roband used his NC already, oh well, it looks moot, unless adam H wants to go for the win without using his power, for style points, if he is a spy, that is.
Last edited by Lataro on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ibarra

Postby Ibarra » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

PyP SNES:
Spoiler:
I'm getting a kick out of attacking Lorenz.
He did lie about the effects of the carrot after all.
*puts on Phoenix Wright suit*

Edit: I should give random people more vegetables like what I did in this game. I literally just randomized who was to get the vegetable. Never realized I would get a reaction like this. (Thank you Random.org)
Red text is for solid facts.
Blue text is for accusations.

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

PYP SNES
Spoiler:
Stupid carrot

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

Resistance 3.5
Spoiler:
I am such a hypocrite. Everytime anybody so much as posts a fraction, I moan that playing the odds makes mafia boring, and gives me an excuse not to post.

And then I go and do that. :p
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:
Dr Ug wrote:wtf is up with homestar scummer? It started just after my hiatus... and it's still going... almost 5 months later...

It didn't feel that way.

Based on Adacore's count a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure that, as of tomorrow, Homestar Scummer will become the longest running game of mafia to have ever been played on the fora.

If it makes it to 6 months, I vote we throw a party. If we count signups, we could be partying before the month is out! :D
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Sruixan

Postby Sruixan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

DttC
Spoiler:
...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

My towndar is buried under six months of dust. It was always the better of the two, as I often found the scumdar to be to easily tripped by a combination of paranoia, personality and/or whether or not I was operating on too little tea. But even then, both need to be recalibrated to the rather different style of play here, not to mention the different people, and I haven't been around for almost a year. Sure, I've lurked around, reading threads relatively regularly, but, well, put it this way; I went back and checked, and the last game I played here was North Pole Mafia. I dropped out due to time constraints and was replaced by a newbie taking their first dip into our subforum... roband. Bloody hell it's been a while. I pity Dr Ug as well then...

...speaking of him, I get to illustrate my scumhunting skills now. I was kinda noticing a correlation between talkativeness and towniness (exhibit a: myself) and thus was getting good vibes from Dr Ug and a-wan. But then the former proposes a strategy about as meritworthy as a chocolate teapot (i.e. looks awesome, but in reality woefully disappointing), and I worry if it was deliberate manipulation or an honest mistake. Then a-wan, the other big strategy person comes along, takes one look at it, gives it the all-clear and is on their way, leaving me squirming as to what the hell I'm missing here... my only real lead for scum is more_people, and that's more for crimes against logic, rationality and common sense than being truely mafia-ish. And apparently he's always like that. Lovely.

*sighs*
This is, er, no offense but you are a robot, aren't you?
That's just, um, beautiful, beautiful beautiful... just beautiful.
One hot summer's night Lorraine said: "It's time for you to see the lighthouse"
Dr. Ivanovich, was it really necessary?

weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

Res 3.5:
Spoiler:
Well, it seems like they'll scrape past this mission (probably) but they're still being lead around in circles by the spies.

SNES:
Spoiler:
I think I'm going to test whether everyone is the same role again by seeing if both e_e and Ibarra sticks with the same actions tomorrow. (Or if either claims a roleblock) Of course, people not actually being lynched is a pretty good giveaway too.

I think I will roleblock someone today, (looks better for me if I get tracked or something).
And you thought I was crazy...

cjdrum

Postby cjdrum » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

DttC: (Sruixan may read)
Spoiler:
Sruixan wrote:I dropped out due to time constraints and was replaced by a newbie taking their first dip into our subforum... roband.

For some reason, I can't get my head around the fact that roband was once a newbie. It's really weird, I just can't.

ForAllOfThis

Postby ForAllOfThis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

PYP SNES:

Spoiler:
Just realised to achieve my bonus win I have to lynch a townie. Surely playing against my overall win condition Lataro?

e_e is massively overpowered with a doublevote in a micro.

Scumteam: Lorenz/Cjdrum or e_e.

e_e could quite easily be lieing about that bonus win condition. Hell, I suspect it.

If I can get my time travel off before death, going to claim it was two shot to draw the kill towards me for Time-travel: N1. I also have the feeling time-travel might have horrible hidden side-effects =(.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:17 pm UTC

PYP SNES:

Spoiler:
Ah, the chaos, I love it.

Dance puppets, dance! :twisted:

edit: For FAOT for after the game: I don't see it that way, it's intended use is for if someone is lynched whom you suspect is town, if you use it then, you'd get the bonus if you are right. I don't see how it requires you actively trying to lynch a townie.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

Resistance 3.5 (for dp)
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

import itertools

def possible(spies):
 if len(set(['Gopher of Pern','VectorZero','webby','BoomFrog']).intersection(spies)) < 1:
  return False
 if len(set(['mpolo','VectorZero','webby','BoomFrog']).intersection(spies)) < 2:
  return False
 if 'mpolo' in spies:
  if ('Gopher of Pern' in spies and 'webby' in spies):
   return True
  return False
 return True

maybes = ['roband','mpolo','Gopher of Pern','VectorZero','webby','BoomFrog','Lorenz','dotproduct']
high = []
low = []
for spies in filter(possible,itertools.combinations(maybes,4)):
 if ('webby' in spies and 'BoomFrog' in spies):
  low.append(spies)
 else:
  high.append(spies)
for player in maybes:
 l = sum(map(lambda x: (player in x),low))
 h = sum(map(lambda x: (player in x),high))
 print([player,l,h])

Code tags would have worked well for this application.

EDIT: Probably doesn't need spoiler tags for spoiling things, just there because.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

dotproduct

Postby dotproduct » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

In that case, can one or more other people judge whether I should be allowed to read that before the game is over?

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:43 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:

It didn't feel that way.
Gee. I wonder why that could possibly be.

a-wan

Postby a-wan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:36 am UTC

dotproduct wrote:In that case, can one or more other people judge whether I should be allowed to read that before the game is over?

It's just your python code but with spaces instead of %.

Dr Ug

Postby Dr Ug » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:05 am UTC

Anyone who is looking for replacements, I'm free to replace into pretty much any game, so send me a PM.

dotproduct

Postby dotproduct » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:15 am UTC

Thanks, _infina_.

It seems like that would be useful for sooo much more than code.

(Although I suppose code is the only thing where it's essentially critical.)

Return to “Mafia”