The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Matthias

Re: Forum-Mafia Discussion/Recruitment/Gojoe canNEVER be trusted

Postby Matthias » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:42 pm UTC

Batmanfia
Spoiler:
I'm kind of surprised that nobody's FoS'd me or anything, considering how aggressive I've been. Not that I'm complaining, desu.
Also, speaking in the third person is fun.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:53 pm UTC

March of the Newbies
Spoiler:
Heehee, a quiz. How bizarre. :D
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

Rufaellie
Location: Something only has location compared to something else.

Postby Rufaellie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:07 am UTC

I wonder if this has been done before...large game, like 20 people, but they are all split into 4 groups of five, each as a mafia faction.

Done light's out so you don't know who your team members are, the object is to be the last standing faction. You have to figure out who your team mates are without claiming (I mean you can claim, but since there are 4 nks a night it would be kind of silly...). May or may not allow during the day lynching, it would be interesting either way. Night kills are done by you sending in the name of the person you want to kill, then the mod counts up the names from your faction and the one with the most is killed (if you each pick a different person or something crazy like that the mod would choose randomly from them). That would mean the nk would most likely happen if you and a team mate both decided upon the same person, as the odds of all team members agreeing with no night co-ordination are slim. You would have to watch out for targeting and killing your own team in the night. There's also the possibility of a tie, with only 1 player left for each of the teams. Maybe that would be a tie, you might as well carry it down to the bitter end. Many interesting end game scenarios. Oooh, weird idea, you are allowed to send PMs at night to other players, and you can claim your faction, but then who could you trust not to kill you because it turns out they are part of some other faction?

CRAZY!!!!! Chicago Night's, or something.
Rufaellie wrote:I think at least twice.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:14 am UTC

Batmanfia
Spoiler:
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I need someone in that game who can metagame me to prove I am telling the truth! Heck, even in AS's game as SCUM I didn't lie. GIVE ME A BREAK PEOPLES. I hate not being believed, makes me feel like people think I am a liar. I was crying reading that game. It is that bad. I would be so much better playing mafia IRL - people would be able to read my face and I can read faces/body language very well myself.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:42 am UTC

Ruf, your game idea seems too random to me. I would think the winning faction would be determined much more by luck than by anything else.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:14 am UTC

Batmanfia
Spoiler:
DO I NOT SPEAK ENGLISH? I swear, everyone who is missreading me is scum or something.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:41 am UTC

I am looking forward to the Bat-spoilers after the game (or at least my part in it) is finished.

How many games do you have to participate in before you're allowed to mod, anyway?

I wouldn't likely be interested, incidentally: seems like too much of a headache. I'm just curious as to whether there's a standard or not.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:45 am UTC

There's no hard-and-fast rule to modding. Anyone can do it, but you tend to attract more players if you're at least minorly established.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:47 am UTC

MEMEME I WANNA MOD!!
. . .wait. What does vanilla mean again?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:52 am UTC

It means never having to say you're sorry.
It means you die alone, or live as a team.
It means that goonies never say die. Because that's a scumtell.

frogman

Postby frogman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:19 am UTC

Hey everyone, just a quick question:

I know what FPTSLBOOIA stands for, but what does it do?
yeah yeah yeah

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:52 am UTC

frogman wrote:Hey everyone, just a quick question:

I know what FPTSLBOOIA stands for, but what does it do?
In the two games I played FPTSLBOOIA, I had both lasers and the ability to fly, but each was limited. I had three chances to fly, which blocked any night actions targeted at me (because I wasn't there, of course). The laser could be charged nightly, and would kill the first person to try and nightkill me. It did not, however, stop my own death.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:04 am UTC

Vote4me mafia:
Spoiler:
b.i.o wrote:Also, I have a question. How is town supposed to win this game? If there are multiple mafia, can't they just vote for each other, and then we'd all have to do the same and hope we'd get lucky? Or am I missing something obvious?

Suppose there are two mafia. If each mafia votes all of their votes on the other, the only way either can be lynched is if every single player has the same number of votes at the end of the round. However, this is a dead giveaway as to who the mafia are. So the town will counter with their best strat: making sure every single player has the same number of votes every round, and the lynch will be random every round. With 10 players to start, there is a 60% chance that one mafia will be lynched before mafia are no longer the minority, and then immediately the other mafia is toast since nobody will vote them. Depending on how the mod interprets the rules (i.e. whether mafia wins once they reach parity or once they reach a majority), there is either a 60% or a 70% chance that town will win.

On the other hand, suppose there are three mafia. If the mafia do the same strategy as before, they won't be picked any more often than random until two have been randomly lynched. The mafia's chance of winning therefore becomes 61/80 or 401/640, depending on how the mod interprets the rules.

Of course, the mafia could probably do even better than that by subtly influencing lynch outcomes rather than outright voting for each other en masse, but they always have this as a fallback position.

This analysis does not account for the FPTSLOOIA, since I'm assuming it was a joke.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:47 am UTC

Batmanfia
Spoiler:
Sungura wrote:Batmanfia
[ex-spoiler'd]ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I need someone in that game who can metagame me to prove I am telling the truth! Heck, even in AS's game as SCUM I didn't lie. GIVE ME A BREAK PEOPLES. I hate not being believed, makes me feel like people think I am a liar. I was crying reading that game. It is that bad. I would be so much better playing mafia IRL - people would be able to read my face and I can read faces/body language very well myself.[/ex-spoiler'd]
*Hugs*
It's okay, Sungura. Don't cry. Please?
*More hugs*
Yes, I'm actually like that in real life too, pretty much.
There's no such thing as a funny sig.

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:51 am UTC

Squirrels
Spoiler:
If I seem mediocre in this game, it's because I am. I have secret codes and stuff with my partners partner, though, since it's day 2! But I won't say who my remaining partner is; I'll leave it to him to decide if he wants to claim in the spoilers.

Intrigue
Spoiler:
Dang it, I *sent* in my night action! Ah well. Now it's sent twice.

Oh, and I'll put it here for the record in case I die, or even if I don't: Az must follow CF for tomorrow.

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:53 am UTC

@Sungura: It just occurred to me you're still in Batmanfia and thus aren't reading the spoilers. So FYI, I haven't even read the game at all, and you should read my recent spoiler on it, not wait. (But other people in the game shouldn't because I quote Sungura's spoiler on it!)

*Smile*

cycoden

Postby cycoden » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:58 am UTC

Mod hat:
If you are in Intrigue, and have a night action, please get it in pronto.

As I am going to Japan on 8/Feb, I will no longer be extending time limits past their original deadlines (unless I can't manage to get to a computer). I am hoping the game will be complete, or close to completion by then

Player hat:
I expect I will continue to check into the games I am playing after the 8/Feb, however not as frequently as usual.

DO NOT READ IF IN ANY GAME I AM PLAYING (Batmanfia/secret santa/squirrel/vote4me)
Spoiler:
Not a convenient time to be given un-nightkillable roles! I guess I'm probably in for the long haul in some of these games :P
VectorZero wrote:SEXUAL INTERCOURSE DISGUSTS ME!
Spoiler:
Bulvox wrote:This is probably one of the few times that I'll agree with Cycoden on anything. I just wish that my brain worked like that.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:47 pm UTC

Wildcard wrote:@Sungura: It just occurred to me you're still in Batmanfia and thus aren't reading the spoilers. So FYI, I haven't even read the game at all, and you should read my recent spoiler on it, not wait. (But other people in the game shouldn't because I quote Sungura's spoiler on it!)

*Smile*

Aww thank you *hugs back*

greycloud

Postby greycloud » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

March of the Newbies

Spoiler:
I'm a townie, but I think I'm making it seem like I'm not. It's really hard! I was way too impatient, which is why I voted. I'll probably end up changing it, but hopefully it'll spur some people on to make stupid mistakes.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

I love contradicting myself, so here we go.

I have an idea for a game--sort of a variation on PyP. Haven't worked out the details yet, but here's the gimmick: instead of role powers based on submitting a role-name, everybody picks a particular form of restrictive writing that they have to use in their posts. For example: all your posts have to be haikus, or you can't use the letter "e." The Mod generates powers based on the type of restriction that the players pick--to encourage creativity, more severe restrictions might result in more useful powers. It would be a closed setup, but depending on the choices you make it could be relatively easy for other players to figure out what your role is.

So what happens when you break the restriction? That could be a variety of things, from losing your power temporarily to randomly killing a member of your faction. The Mod may or may not reveal what the effect is when roles are sent out. It would probably be cryptically hinted at.

Any interest in something like this?

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Postby oneofthedragon » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

Post restriction mafia? Yeah I'd been toying with that one for awhile. I would try it as a mini first.
sje46: tell them to shove plungers into their anuses
sje46: make clear that that was only for OOTD

Kells: OOTD, I am giving you my death stare
Kells: Just so you know

Christmas: OOTD I will burn your village and make slaves of your children

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:15 pm UTC

I would play it as a mini.

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Postby oneofthedragon » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

I would say don't make it a pyp type deal. PyPs are fun, but they only give the people an illusion of control, and make a much more insane (usually in a bad way) game. PyP is better suited for IRC, and the forum is much better for games in which the roles are put together with a mod's hand.

Webcomic mafia: Probably going to happen after nickrole

Comics thus far:
XKCD
Rice Boy (I like it, it's in comic book form, even if it's not the traditional comic strip deally)

I'm going to need 3 more. People should suggest 3. I'll take the first 3 I get and can stand reading. 1 per person, thanks.

korora

Postby korora » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:53 pm UTC

Dinosaur comics!
Last.fm|Steam|Xbox LIVE|23||
[8:22pm] cf: you know what i like?
[8:23pm] Tigerlion: what do you like, CF?
[8:23pm] cf: you guys
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

Matthias

Nobody mourns the changed subject line.

Postby Matthias » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

korora

Postby korora » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:02 pm UTC

That's a good one too. It never updates though. (Here's the Dino Comics link, by the way).
Last.fm|Steam|Xbox LIVE|23||
[8:22pm] cf: you know what i like?
[8:23pm] Tigerlion: what do you like, CF?
[8:23pm] cf: you guys
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

oneofthedragon
Modfather

Postby oneofthedragon » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

Someone throw a few more suggestions out there, in case I hate one of the ones you all suggested.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:53 pm UTC

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

Piled Higher and Deeper (i.e. Ph.D.) http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php
(can you tell i'm a grad student now?)

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:28 pm UTC

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

Damn, I need to break my habit of opening all of the spoilers I see here. Before I was in any mafia games it was fine, but now it's a really bad habit. For the third time today I moved my mouse to the "show" button before realizing, just in time, that it was about the game I'm in.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

I might be needing replacements in Secret Santa, anyone interested?
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:09 am UTC

oneofthedragon wrote:I would say don't make it a pyp type deal. PyPs are fun, but they only give the people an illusion of control, and make a much more insane (usually in a bad way) game. PyP is better suited for IRC, and the forum is much better for games in which the roles are put together with a mod's hand.

Webcomic mafia: Probably going to happen after nickrole

Comics thus far:
XKCD
Rice Boy (I like it, it's in comic book form, even if it's not the traditional comic strip deally)

I'm going to need 3 more. People should suggest 3. I'll take the first 3 I get and can stand reading. 1 per person, thanks.

oh god...which one do I pick...there are so many that I read...um...jeez...this is hard...can I give you my list and you can choose one for me?

Note: this isn't even all of the comics that I read, this is just a small helping of the ones that I thought that Puff could stand. My real list is much longer.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:23 am UTC

*mourns changed suject line*
Achewood and white ninja for the win. But pretty much the only ones I still read are achewood and xkcd, really.
EDIT: actually, Perry Bible Fellowship.

So my three are Achewood, PBF, and White ninja.
Last edited by sje46 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:25 am UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:I might be needing replacements in Secret Santa, anyone interested?

I got the axe in Squirrel game, so I'll step in. I haven't been paying attention to the game at all, mind you.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:32 am UTC

... Guess we snapped the old "one comic per dude or lady" rule right off, eh? 'S cool. I prob'ly should have plugged some lesser known ones anyway.
Bang Barstal. It's a post-apocalyptic, rifts-in-space-time story. Nothing really original, but it's got class. Looks like something straight out of Heavy Metal, really.

Minus. It's... Well, imagine if Dr. Manhatten was an eight year old girl without all the angst. That's not really an adequate description, but--just go read a few strips. It's charming and awesome, kinda like Rice Boy (although the comic itself isn't much like Rice Boy at all).

A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible. Words cannot describe this comic. It is bizarre and unique (except for the first three). Also, the art guy for this one did the art for Braid, which is awesome.

also... clever girl, sje.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's probably worth noting that all three of the comics above are over with already.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:37 am UTC

also... clever girl, sje.

*is confused by this*

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:38 am UTC

InstinctSage wrote:
AngrySquirrel wrote:I might be needing replacements in Secret Santa, anyone interested?

I got the axe in Squirrel game, so I'll step in. I haven't been paying attention to the game at all, mind you.

I'll put you on the list.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:39 am UTC

sje46 wrote:*mourns changed suject line*.
*Is confused by this*

Edit: Page topper! I should probably add some actual content to discussions in progress. I'll simply say that both games I'm in need to hurry up! And people need to post things, or send in their night actions, as the case may be.

I would be willing to step in wherever as a replacement, except that I don't want to do a ton of reading of the history of whatever game.

(Nickrole is starting...when?)

Return to “Mafia”