The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Re: Forum-Mafia Discussion/Recruitment/Gojoe canNEVER be trusted

Postby Sungura » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

Cell Culture
Spoiler:
Frogman hasn't been posting much at all anyway, and yes, he did not post enough, so he was killed. As his role goes, if he dies, he takes out another with him. That just happened to be you, DL.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Dark Loink

Postby Dark Loink » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Cell Culture
Spoiler:
Frogman hasn't been posting much at all anyway, and yes, he did not post enough, so he was killed. As his role goes, if he dies, he takes out another with him. That just happened to be you, DL.

Cell Culture
Spoiler:
Alright then. And now i know.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

Currently I'm finding in Musicmafia that I've had to make a rather large amount of modprods and replacements and the etcetera. I'm not sure if this is directly because of peoples disinterest in the game, or because I'm just being overbearing, but I think we might again be having the problem of too many games running at the same time. Anyone else want to comment?
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

A more likely reason: Midterms.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:01 am UTC

I think we have a good amount of games going right now. I suppose you could look at the player lists of all the games to see how many of your players are splitting their time amongst multiple games, and then slap those people on the wrist for signing up for too many games at one time.

But, I think it is more likely that people are just generally busy at the moment. Also, we have a bunch of games in the early stages, and it always harder to get people to contribute on D1 and to a lesser extent D2.

Bottom line, I think that modprodding and replacing is just part of expected mod duties now, and it should get better for you as game gets into later stages.
Kipper wrote:SERIOUSLY. Listen to MoA, he knows his stuff. . . High five MoA!
(not funny, but true)
ameretrifle wrote:MoA is an astute logician and is, in fact, directly related to Sherlock Holmes on his mother's side.
(ditto for this one)

Dromtry

Postby Dromtry » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:53 am UTC

I liked the game, and I thought it was doing good, but I'm straight getting out of mafia. I have but one loose end to tie up currently.
~steve

Entropy

Postby Entropy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:52 am UTC

Stargate:
Spoiler:
The best way to make sure that you are ignored is to make a lot of noise.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:59 am UTC

Midterms. Midterms midterms midterms. Also, it always fizzles out once the school year really gets going like this. Wait until December after finals, it will pick up for about a month. Then come Feb/March it will fizzle a bit again...then BANG summer hits.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:53 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Midterms. Midterms midterms midterms. Also, it always fizzles out once the school year really gets going like this. Wait until December after finals, it will pick up for about a month. Then come Feb/March it will fizzle a bit again...then BANG summer hits.
That sounds like a metaphor or something of the sort.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:10 am UTC

Y'dang kids and yer schools.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Kipper

Postby Kipper » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:46 am UTC

Sci-fi
Spoiler:
AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO REMEMBERS THIS GAME IS GOING ON?
Amy: (11:06:09 PM) ***Amy huggles Kipper
Amy: (11:06:13 PM) Amy: Leave my fishy alone.

[3:05pm] Amy: NO TOUCHING KIPPER
[3:05pm] Amy: MY FISHY!

Entropy

Postby Entropy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:01 am UTC

Proposed Mini: The Cult of Kira

8-10 players, one of which starts with a Death Note. Each day, the owner of the note (Kira) can choose to either kill with it or attempt a recruit. A kill is performed by writing a player's name in the note. A recruit attempt is performed by anonymously giving a page of the note to a specified player. If the target player chooses to use the page to kill someone, they then become a member of the cult. If not, they remain town. Cult recruits can only communicate with the cult leader, and not with each other.

If a recruit attempt results in a target player killing Kira with the note, they become Kira and inherit the notebook. If the town lynches the current Kira, the death note is destroyed and the cult becomes leaderless and powerless. Standard win conditions: cult outnumber town to win, town eliminate cult to win.

Thoughts?

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:30 am UTC

Hmm... I can't figure out any gamebreaking stuff right away, but assuming the recruit/kill process occurs perfectly (so kira recruits accept, and each recruit kills a townie) then town loses unless it makes a successful lynch of cult or kira, and if they kill a cult, they have to hope that the N2 recuit doesn't proceed perfectly. So I'd say it'll work with maybe 14-15 players, and have a n0 (so kira can pick one player to recruit, and that player gets a kill).
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

Entropy

Postby Entropy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:39 am UTC

Yeah, 8 is probably too low. I was thinking it would be night-less, so the first recruit attempt or kill would happen on the first day before the lynch.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:11 am UTC

Yeah... definitely too low if there's a n0; means there could be a LyLo situation on d1 :P

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:50 am UTC

Music:
Spoiler:
Should I give Bulvox a win if he manages to beat the level of crazy that NaR had in Futuramafia?

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:56 am UTC

You realize, Entropy, that everyone will remember that you made a point of killing every player, win or lose, last time. :D I'm just really glad I reset my mental win condition to "don't die in a fire" about five minutes after I read my role PM...

...and despite all that, I still find this idea intriguing. :D One thing about Death Note Mafia, it didn't lag.

Speaking of which, anyone want to discuss strategies to combat lurking/game-lagging? Nightless helps, I think. So do inventor-type roles that can interact with others-- or public actions, as well, like the items in Monty Python, the ball in Nickrole 2, and the cupcake party in... which game were the cupcakes in... blast... And then non-vanilla roles help-- any incentives to play more aggressively. A clear replacement/modkill policy, I'm starting to think, should be one of the first things you work out when setting up a game. The finals/midterm/weekend/holiday lags are probably unavoidable.

I really don't remember Death Note lagging at all (am I wrong?), and I'm thinking it might be instructive to try and figure out why... Part of it might have been the nature of the series, all the criminal masterminds-- made people feel crafty. The frequent kills helped, and so did all the public information (the kill flavor, the cops, that epic framejob...). The closed setup provided a lot of speculation fodder... Looking back on the other games that moved fairly quickly...Hmm, this might be writerly bias, but I think flavor might have a lot to do with it. Players get more involved when they've got a story to work with. That and day actions to provide information to go on. Dis/agree?

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:06 am UTC

I think lots of kills + lots of public actions work nicely. Especially given the cops were anonymous yet public.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:29 am UTC

The problem is, like Amy stated earlier, that most of us are College/Uni students and right now is Midterms. So naturally, most, if not all, of the games are going to slow to a crawl.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:47 am UTC

Stuff that happens publicly in the middle of the day (ala SMCM) is good at keeping a game lively. The downside is that it can potentially be detrimental to proper traditional analysis, with discussion of the meaning of events taking over the game, rather than discussion of who is scum.

Entropy

Postby Entropy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:44 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:You realize, Entropy, that everyone will remember that you made a point of killing every player, win or lose, last time. :D

I had to make sure that everyone would get to attend myrrh's awesome afterparty in mu ;)

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:35 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:Stuff that happens publicly in the middle of the day (ala SMCM) is good at keeping a game lively. The downside is that it can potentially be detrimental to proper traditional analysis, with discussion of the meaning of events taking over the game, rather than discussion of who is scum.

(Belated) EBWOP: Also, games with many groups of people who can communicate privately have the interesting effect of keeping the game lively, but perhaps not so much in the thread - there can be loads of stuff going on, but most of it behind the scenes.

Knightshire

Postby Knightshire » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:46 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:
Adacore wrote:...

(Belated) EBWOP: Also, games with many groups of people who can communicate privately have the interesting effect of keeping the game lively, but perhaps not so much in the thread - there can be loads of stuff going on, but most of it behind the scenes.

This can be quite annoying if you're one of the few players not in any mason group/mafia etc. It can get a bit boring if the rest isn't posting because they are busy discussing in private. In retrospect, I felt a bit lonely in Death Note (where almost everyone seemed to be in some kind of mason or mafia group) although that game had a fast enough pace to keep it exciting.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:49 pm UTC

Sci-fi:
Spoiler:
Re-reading that long analysis post I did, if you know my playstyle and my analysis methodology as well as I do (which I sincerely hope nobody does), it's really obvious who my scumbuddy is, if you know that I'm scum. And if you can notice that, I think it's pretty obvious from that post that I'm scum. But hopefully I'm being paranoid and reading too much into it, and/or that analysis was so long nobody read it carefully enough to notice the inconsistency. Dammit, I should've spotted it before I posted, but I was in a hurry to go out on Friday night.

I have no idea what direction to go in now either. I could pursue a Kolko lynch, which could make me look good and be the logical move from what I can see if I were a townie. Or I could push for the moody lynch (politically impossible until AS posts again), mpolo lynch (not really spin-able, given my analysis of him) or a kipper lynch (might be able to make it fly, but I'm dubious). I'd like to use a wait-and-see tactic, but the game isn't moving.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:51 pm UTC

Knightshire wrote:
Adacore wrote:(Belated) EBWOP: Also, games with many groups of people who can communicate privately have the interesting effect of keeping the game lively, but perhaps not so much in the thread - there can be loads of stuff going on, but most of it behind the scenes.

This can be quite annoying if you're one of the few players not in any mason group/mafia etc. It can get a bit boring if the rest isn't posting because they are busy discussing in private. In retrospect, I felt a bit lonely in Death Note (where almost everyone seemed to be in some kind of mason or mafia group) although that game had a fast enough pace to keep it exciting.

I entirely agree with this - I can't remember the game, but I'm sure I've been in at least one game where everyone else was in PM-ing groups and I wasn't and it is a pretty lonely game to play. I'll need to think about this a bit...

EDIT: I was thinking of Futuramafia, where I was a completely vanilla robot, in a game with 90% power roles. Not quite the same, but it still left me feeling a bit disconnected until about half way through the game.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:56 pm UTC

Yay - triple-post!

Stargate:
Spoiler:
I was wondering why it took this long for people to realise that my invention daycop doesn't definitively mean I'm certain to be town. I am town, but there's no definitive proof (although the voting record on D1 and D2 isn't bad evidence). I really hope I'm right about Entropy being anti-town and/or Ori. I've got a gut feeling that I'm reading this game pretty well and it would suck to be wrong about that.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

Well the solution is to have 100% of players in mafia/mason groups, and to prevent gamebreaking, include traitors, spy's, defectors, etc.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Knightshire

Postby Knightshire » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

Stargate
Spoiler:
It's really important for town not to lynch me today (or possibly any other day). Revealing that information will be bad for both my life expectancy and possibly be bad for town so I hope it doesn't have to come to that. However, it should guarantee that I will not be lynched today unless I say something really stupid or town acts stupid, in which case town will deserve to lose. The only factor I haven't calculated yet are any possible loyalty issues on my mason buddy's side. If he really is converted he could really screw me over.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:
Knightshire wrote:
Adacore wrote:(Belated) EBWOP: Also, games with many groups of people who can communicate privately have the interesting effect of keeping the game lively, but perhaps not so much in the thread - there can be loads of stuff going on, but most of it behind the scenes.

I entirely agree with this - I can't remember the game, but I'm sure I've been in at least one game where everyone else was in PM-ing groups and I wasn't and it is a pretty lonely game to play. I'll need to think about this a bit...

EDIT: I was thinking of Futuramafia, where I was a completely vanilla robot, in a game with 90% power roles. Not quite the same, but it still left me feeling a bit disconnected until about half way through the game.

Fast-Food sins had everyone in some sort of communication group. That whole game basically took place by PM, making for a pretty bare thread. The game was also totally broken by means of some claims early on, though the non-claiming group came out on top. (Go McDonald's) In Death Note, I was all alone, so that there was a lot of waiting while the more numerous groups worked things out in PM.
Image <-- Evil experiment

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:05 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:
Adacore wrote:
Knightshire wrote:

Fast-Food sins had everyone in some sort of communication group. That whole game basically took place by PM, making for a pretty bare thread. The game was also totally broken by means of some claims early on, though the non-claiming group came out on top. (Go McDonald's) In Death Note, I was all alone, so that there was a lot of waiting while the more numerous groups worked things out in PM.

There was a PyP game hosted by OOTD. I think for most of the game I was out of the loop on things as there were about 8 different cults/masons. Then the night I was given my OWN group my recruitment ends up killing me. Even though I was supposed to be immune to all night actions.

Needless to say that game still keeps me up at night, tossing and turning...cursing the names of all involved...plotting revenge...

Man...that post turned creepy in a hurry.

Dark Loink

Postby Dark Loink » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:26 pm UTC

Pick Their poison:
Spoiler:
If kolkos plan is to become unlynchable by having all think he is a jester-
it appers to be working.

EDIT:
Or not...
he is going to be really glad of his vote resitance, and not use it until the last minute. At which point the jester bomb or the whale will be lynched...
huh. :P

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:08 am UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:There was a PyP game hosted by OOTD. I think for most of the game I was out of the loop on things as there were about 8 different cults/masons. Then the night I was given my OWN group my recruitment ends up killing me. Even though I was supposed to be immune to all night actions.

Needless to say that game still keeps me up at night, tossing and turning...cursing the names of all involved...plotting revenge...

Man...that post turned creepy in a hurry.

Oh god I had forgotten that game...*shudders*
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:43 am UTC

PtP
Spoiler:
Living in Europe is bad in mafia :o When I went to bed yesterday, my plan to make them think I was a jester was succeeding. When I woke up today, I found myself at L-1, thank the gods for cautious players :o

So, now to try and make the town believe that I can never be lynched... I'm thinking of lending my serviced to to the scum if it succeeds, something like "If it ever comes to lylo, I'll just vote myself and give you the win. Then again, I would have to make something up as to why I can be lynched at lylo. Still having fun :D
Last edited by Kolko on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Environ 20% plus chouette.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:46 am UTC

Epic fail, kolko.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:59 am UTC

Hopefully he comes and fixes that error :P.

mister k

Postby mister k » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:57 am UTC

cell culture

Spoiler:
Finally got enough of a grip on this game to post something. I'm a stem cell, which means I get to choose my new role if I survive today, which I imagine I will. Finding this game verry confusing to follow, certainly not in a place where I can lead a lynch, which I find myself doing with disturbing regularity in mafia. I wonder how accurate my guesses are. i'm pretty confident theres no night kill for the scum, which makes them cult like, but whether there are two cults or one is unclear. I wonder if the natural killer cell was formerly a stem cell...

Also, I'm confused as to how CF has all these powers he's claiming- there are only 4 cell types in the game... Well now theres a photocell thing which no-one has mentioned.
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

Sci-Fi:
Spoiler:
Maybe I need to go find a bus?

Dark Loink

Postby Dark Loink » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

Pick Their poison:
Spoiler:
Twice that d6 had a chance to make hendu go after the jester bomb.
TWICE.
First it goes after the survivor
Second it goes after the WHALE!

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:09 am UTC

Sci-Fi:
Spoiler:
The town is so very much screwed.

Edit: Yea, town = pwned. It's mostly a race between SK and Mafia now. If the town should succeed in this they have to be very lucky + some divine intervention.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

Music:
Spoiler:
Currently it's looking like maj will be the target for both the mafia NK and the cult recruit. I'm going to laugh my ass off if he gets culted and killed in the same night.

Return to “Mafia”