The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

roband

Re: DISCUSSION THREAD/Gojoe canNEVER be trusted

Postby roband » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:42 pm UTC

I have a game idea, which I'm thinking is looking like a relation to 'sins, but quite different.

Would anyone like to discuss it with me and point out the flaws that I've missed? Don't want to post details in the thread without checking it might work first.

Dark Loink

Postby Dark Loink » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

zoo:
Spoiler:
AHAHAHAH.
Thank you krong, I now know the poetry did not work on you. So I guess you're scum.
:lol:

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:28 pm UTC

Roband: you can PM me the details.

Zoo:
Spoiler:
Wow things are really getting interesting.

I like that the scum guessed there could be listening devices. I wonder how much that theory affected their n1 chat. I'm sure n2 will be much more concealed/winey.

Also, how awesome would it be if a scum has posted a bunch of messages like Martin did, only faked, at the start of d2?
Nikc wrote:Silknor is the JJ Abrams of mafia modding

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:32 pm UTC

Zoo:

Spoiler:
I'm tending to think that I'm scum today, as I drank deeply from DarkLoink. I tried to bread crumb that in case someone cops me in the near future. If DL doesn't get lynched, I suppose I'll have a sort of cop on him…
Image <-- Evil experiment

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

Zoo:
Spoiler:
BigNose wrote:Lataro east from trough
lataor replaces DJkjr
Latro east from trough (in flavour)
Errrrr. Exactly which Lataro ate from teh trough and which Lataro is BLUE?

*giggles to himself* :lol:
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:40 pm UTC

Zoo:
Spoiler:
Silknor wrote:iroZn has replaced djkjr. Please welcome him to mafia, it's his first game.

If this is true, you're an evil man.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:53 pm UTC

CinC:
Spoiler:
I'm thinking there is a really good chance that everyone in this game is a jester of some sort. A game where everyone is trying to get lynched sounds like a really silly idea to me. But it would explain why everyone is acting so strangely. In case it wasn't obvious, this is why I want to no-lynch on D2 and see what happens from there.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:CinC:
Spoiler:
I'm thinking there is a really good chance that everyone in this game is a jester of some sort. A game where everyone is trying to get lynched sounds like a really silly idea to me. But it would explain why everyone is acting so strangely. In case it wasn't obvious, this is why I want to no-lynch on D2 and see what happens from there.

CinC:
(MasterOfAll can't read)
Spoiler:
That was the conclusion I reached about halfway through day 1. And of course, I was an evil jester…

roband

Postby roband » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

Silknor: PM sent :) I've been thinking about a game based on this flavour for a while, and something clicked in my head this morning. Hoping it's doable.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

CinC
Spoiler:
Great, now I'm having a giggle-fit at work!
Poor robot. I just wanted to be his friend, and feed him tea, but HE WOULDN'T STOP BEEPING

greenlover

Postby greenlover » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:09 pm UTC

Zoo:
Spoiler:
_infina_ wrote:If you did get the mason messages, then you would have gotten a message about me forgetting the power part of my role. Also, reread that one about almost getting lynched. There was a strange quirk in that one, it had an extra apostrophe.
OWCH. So, my bad grammar gets our unkillable mason ally confirmed mason? It burns, but I guess it was good that I messed my grammar up. Funny how things work out that way. :roll:

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

Alice:

Spoiler:
Whee, another game as scum where it was poorly designed to discourage mass claim and scum have no safe roles at all to false claim. We lose or win depending on if me or misnomer get's lynched. I am so sick of being scum in games like this where mass claim is so freakin' advantageous to town and destroys scum's chances.

Can we get a new line added to sign ups to go along with openness, bastardness and all that to include viability of mass claim for town? First Chaos, now this. I'm getting to the point that if this happens again I'm gonna just stop signing up for minis.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

CinC:
Spoiler:
People are taking this game far too seriously... You'd have expected by now that they'd have learned to approach my games with an open sense of humour...
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Alice, for roband:
Spoiler:
roband wrote:I immediately thought Lataro was suspiciouser (to create a word).

I hope you meant "curiouser".
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

mister k

Postby mister k » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

Lataro wrote:Alice:

Spoiler:
Whee, another game as scum where it was poorly designed to discourage mass claim and scum have no safe roles at all to false claim. We lose or win depending on if me or misnomer get's lynched. I am so sick of being scum in games like this where mass claim is so freakin' advantageous to town and destroys scum's chances.

Can we get a new line added to sign ups to go along with openness, bastardness and all that to include viability of mass claim for town? First Chaos, now this. I'm getting to the point that if this happens again I'm gonna just stop signing up for minis.

Spoiler:
A recruit mechanic should do that, but with nowhere to hide for you its pretty impossible. Theres needs to maybe be modly intervention on this front
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:49 pm UTC

zoo
Spoiler:
This is a delicate situation requiring delicate navigational tactics. So torn. So, so torn. And I'm normally pretty bad making these kinds of decisions. At least, I think, the panther and the squirrel are relatively safe. The gerbil may find himself in hot water eventually. I'm worried there's a timer on my head.

ThinkSweet

Postby ThinkSweet » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:09 pm UTC

mister k wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
A recruit mechanic should do that, but with nowhere to hide for you its pretty impossible. Theres needs to maybe be modly intervention on this front

Spoiler:
Unfortunately, I tend to think people will play games similarly to me, & I really didn't think a massclaim would happen this early (it is only my first game as mod)! Having said that, there are 20 major characters listed on wikipedia and since I've actually included tweedledum & tweedledee, there are 11 roles on that list that could be safely claimed. It sucks Lataro guessed wrong but I thought that & the recruit would be enough. I can't think of any way other than banning claiming which leads to other problems with cops & game set up analysis becoming much harder for town. I'm sorry if the claiming gets Lataro lynched. But the second Mafia member has a 1-shot unlynchable, and a 1-shot vote block, so even if Lataro & the recruit are out of the game, scum is not in too bad a position.

@ misker k, what kind of intervention were you thinking? Maybe if I'd thought of it before Lataro claimed, I could have given him a list of role names or something? Or hinted about 11 of the wikipedia ones being safely claimable?

EDIT:
Spoiler:
Ok, if I do another mini, it will have something like: feel free to claim whenever you want, but when you claim you lose your vote for the day, so I'd recommend only claiming if you really feel you need to.

It'd make people think twice before randomly claiming for no reason, and it'd effectively stop massclaims because there would be no-one left to vote that day. Of course town could find ways to 'massclaim' in groups each day or something, but I think it'd be helpful in games where the roles make it obvious who is scum (like the Queen in Alice). What do people think?
Last edited by ThinkSweet on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
</rant>

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:Zoo:
Spoiler:
Silknor wrote:iroZn has replaced djkjr. Please welcome him to mafia, it's his first game.

If this is true, you're an evil man.

Zoo:
Spoiler:
1. It's true (at least that's what he told me).
2. I'm an evil man.
3. But 1 isn't the reason why :)

Dark Loink

Postby Dark Loink » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:47 pm UTC

zoo:
Spoiler:
This'll be even more funny if I end up becoming scum.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:38 am UTC

CinC:
Spoiler:
Well, here's AMT's program for the robot.

Code: Select all

//Customized ROyAL Programming Language//
include stdlibrary.roy;
include nonstdlibrary.roy;
include programmingforkings.roy;
include advancedbeeping.roy;

run Function_One;
run Function_Two;
return (0);

Function_One:
go to treasury;
count gold_pieces;
  while gold_pieces>0;
    get piece;
    go to King's_bedroom;
    open chest;
    drop piece in chest;
    go to treasury;
    count gold_pieces;
  when gold_pieces==0;
    go to King's_bedroom;
    close chest;
    lock chest;
    erase Function_One;
//Location names and objects are defined in programmingforkings.roy. The "erase" function is defined in nonstdlibrary.roy.//
return (0);

Function_Two:

int Result=-3;
array People to Check={Lataro, existential_elevator, MasterofAll, ForAllOfThis, Jayhsu}
Int Person=1;

While Result<0;
Check People to Check (Person);
   if bomb=Present Result=1;
   if bomb=Absent Result=0;
   if no result, Person++;
   //I assume a person being too fast for the robot to catch will produce no result//
beep Person times;
pause;
if Result=0 beep once;
if Result=1 beep twice LOUDLY;
return (0);
//"Loudly" is included in advancedbeeping.roy but may not be a function available for this robot. If not, the default option returned is to ignore the qualifier and simply beep twice.//

E_e got a pm saying that it beeped appropriately (twice quitely, then twice loudly), but ze chose to amplify if with their Magical Noisemaker, which is not particularly reliable. (The verb in the first flavour post ze sent was "love", not "lynch".) Had e_e been a little slower on the reply, the post in thread might actually have said that the robot beeped twice (the other beep was too quite for anyone else to hear), but that was drowned out by the Noisemaker.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:00 am UTC

zoo
Spoiler:
How does this keep going well?

CinC
Spoiler:
where did everyone go?

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:23 am UTC

Zoo
Spoiler:
DL is lying, I can smell it. Now how do I prove it?
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

mister k

Postby mister k » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:08 am UTC

ThinkSweet wrote:
mister k wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Unfortunately, I tend to think people will play games similarly to me, & I really didn't think a massclaim would happen this early (it is only my first game as mod)! Having said that, there are 20 major characters listed on wikipedia and since I've actually included tweedledum & tweedledee, there are 11 roles on that list that could be safely claimed. It sucks Lataro guessed wrong but I thought that & the recruit would be enough. I can't think of any way other than banning claiming which leads to other problems with cops & game set up analysis becoming much harder for town. I'm sorry if the claiming gets Lataro lynched. But the second Mafia member has a 1-shot unlynchable, and a 1-shot vote block, so even if Lataro & the recruit are out of the game, scum is not in too bad a position.

@ misker k, what kind of intervention were you thinking? Maybe if I'd thought of it before Lataro claimed, I could have given him a list of role names or something? Or hinted about 11 of the wikipedia ones being safely claimable?

EDIT:
Spoiler:
Ok, if I do another mini, it will have something like: feel free to claim whenever you want, but when you claim you lose your vote for the day, so I'd recommend only claiming if you really feel you need to.

It'd make people think twice before randomly claiming for no reason, and it'd effectively stop massclaims because there would be no-one left to vote that day. Of course town could find ways to 'massclaim' in groups each day or something, but I think it'd be helpful in games where the roles make it obvious who is scum (like the Queen in Alice). What do people think?

Spoiler:
sorry, I wasn't clear. You can't intervene in this game, I was making a more general point that it is an issue. I really like your idea actually, as it encourages the only kind of claiming that town should be doing, which is death bed claims. Robands trigger happy claim came as a surprise, most other claims were death bed claims day 1, just town being a bit incompetent (includes me). One thing that really bugs me as scum sometimes in flavoursome games is that it can be really hard to know what other players pms look like, which means when you speculate you might give yourself away by guessing something you should already know. Some kind of rubric might be helpful, or including more in the initial flavour as to who might be around
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:17 am UTC

Alice:
Spoiler:
Sorry Lataro, but you're just looking so very very scummy right now.

Gah, it sucks when the outcome of games gets determined by claimfests, both as town and scum it's highly unsatisfying. :(
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:25 am UTC

Alice:
Spoiler:
Aasdgfgdshf why is it always the crazily agressive players that I get into claim battles with?

But yeah, I really don't understand why Lataro falseclaimed my role... I suppose it would have paid dividends to him had he picked a non-existant role, but it was such a risk...

Here's hoping he's not just a time-wasting jester. :?
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Silknor

Postby Silknor » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:56 pm UTC

Dark Loink wrote:zoo:
Spoiler:
This'll be even more funny if I end up becoming scum.

Zoo (DL may read):
Spoiler:
Oh god, that would be hilarious. Don't give me any ideas.

existential_elevator wrote:zoo
Spoiler:
How does this keep going well?

Zoo:
Spoiler:
I know!

cycoden

Postby cycoden » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:31 pm UTC

Dune
Spoiler:
I don't think I'll get away with this. But I'm not feeling inclined to defend a false claim, and quite frankly, it would probably not have worked anyway.
VectorZero wrote:SEXUAL INTERCOURSE DISGUSTS ME!
Spoiler:
Bulvox wrote:This is probably one of the few times that I'll agree with Cycoden on anything. I just wish that my brain worked like that.

mister k

Postby mister k » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:35 pm UTC

dune
Spoiler:
A greeeat first couple of days for the harkonenn. Unless I have been lied to we share the remaining victory condition, which may be easier to acheive.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

Dune:
Spoiler:
Gah! Spoilers! Spoilers I want to read! Maybe someone will kill [redacted] tonight so I can read them.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:48 pm UTC

So, I was considering modding a secret santa-mafia game for Christmas, but I'm unsure about what que to add it to. I was considering the special que seeing as it's a rather special type of game, but I'd like to check if people are cool with that first, it's not an invitational after all.

The basics of the secret santa game are like this:
Every player sends in a role, that role is then randomly assigned to another player. The mod reserves the right to alter roles slightly for balance. There will also be a general christmas-theme to the whole thing.

Any comments?

they/them/theirs

roband

Postby roband » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:55 pm UTC

So it's basically a PtP with a christmas theme?

Sounds good to me!

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:59 pm UTC

Do players send in a rolename or an actual role (with abilties and alignments and all that)?

I think it can go in one of the regular queues, depending on size and speed, but I'm not sure. Yes, I'm very helpful. :P
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:10 pm UTC

Mavketl wrote:Do players send in a rolename or an actual role (with abilties and alignments and all that)?

I think it can go in one of the regular queues, depending on size and speed, but I'm not sure. Yes, I'm very helpful. :P

Actual role. Description + power + potential posting restriction if they want to be evil. Mod assigns alignment and reserves the right to nerf/boost powers to keep some semblance of balance.

they/them/theirs

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:13 pm UTC

Sounds pretty awesome. I kind of think it should be a special game since it's seasonal. It's a good idea to put it in the invitational slot as kind of a pseudo-invitational. That way you get more control over when it runs and stuff.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

@ AngrySquirrel -

I say you should just call it an invitational. And then be willing to invite anyone who sends you a PM saying they want to play. That way it fits within the current queue system but will also show how a little anarchy is good from time to time.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

MasterOfAll wrote:@ AngrySquirrel -

I say you should just call it an invitational. And then be willing to invite anyone who sends you a PM saying they want to play. That way it fits within the current queue system but will also show how a little anarchy is good from time to time.

Alright, that sounds good.

Edit: I need a co-mod, preferably someone with a bit of experience as I expect this game to get rather crazy and I might need some help on the balancing. PM me if you're interested.

they/them/theirs

weiyaoli

Postby weiyaoli » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

Zoo:

Spoiler:
I'm getting incredibly panicky that all the town all seem to be invincible or masons or know other town. Unless they are lying of course.

This Krong and DL thing is so confusing that one of them must be the bastard role talked about. I'm leaning DL at this point since Krong claimed shrimp.
And you thought I was crazy...

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:25 pm UTC

I very much like the Secret Santa idea, but I won't be active for a couple of weeks around Christmas.... If you repeat the experience with Egalitarian Easter Bunnies, I'm all over it.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

CinC (This is mainly for AMT when it's game over - the story of what happened to her robot)
Spoiler:
This is the PM chain (in reverse chronological order):

RR wrote:Re: CinC
Sent: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:15 pm
by RoadieRich

You might want to check my latest post in thread.

EE wrote:Re: CinC
Sent: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:05 pm
by existential_elevator

I do

Is there anything else I can do with the robot? I would rather like to try and give it some tea. It looks thirsty.

Sent: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:03 pm
by RoadieRich

If you want.

Sent: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:02 pm
by existential_elevator

Can I relay this beeping through the noisemaker?

Sent: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:01 pm
by RoadieRich

The robot beeps twice, then beeps twice loudly.

Sent: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:50 pm
by existential_elevator

Hello robot! Are you the King's? Here, would you like to play with my shiny noise-maker?

(mutual check-out)

RR wrote:CinC
Sent: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:44 pm
by RoadieRich

The robot is now following you. Do you run away, or let it check you out?
>

tl;dr - robot died because it was vaguely amusing at the time :D

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:12 pm UTC

I'll probably be up for the Santa Game, unless I'm already playing something else before that. (No more multiple games for me.)
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Return to “Mafia”