The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Elmach

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Elmach » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:24 am UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
I must find the one who calls himself... Tom.
He picked cult. He must die.
Seriously, I don't have
A post restriction.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:31 am UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
Town here! John McClane, PGO cop. So I guess my plan is to lie low for a night or two and then bait everyone into targeting me with a cop claim.
-Adam

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:40 am UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
I don't have a post restriction. Seriously.
Noone's going to believe me because I'm
soft-claiming that my post restriction is
that I have to mention not having a post
restriction every single post. Even here.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:43 am UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure jester was the worst thing for me to pick as I almost never get lynched, and if I try too hard, they will know. I need to find a way to throw out a very subtle but indisputable slip.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:48 am UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
Just proved to myself that waiting for next turn to assassinate
Is more optimal that doing it now unless there are two kills
I don't have a post restriction just playing around

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Pya
Spoiler:
With this crowd you could probably just say, "I am a jester, lynch me." Bet it'd work. You might only get culted though. :p
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

thdl

Postby thdl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

Necro:

Spoiler:
I intentionally did not reveal my breadcrumb, with luck scum will counter claim me and I can convince the wizard. As for the wild speculation I alluded to: I say wam and lynx (or maybe mpolo) were the original cult who culted Adam. If they still want to lynch me, then I'll post this and see what comes of it.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

Necrocultia

Spoiler:
I doubt thdl is lying. I'm kinda fishing for a good wizard target. And my attempt is very likely to be extremely transparent and get me recruited. And I don't particularly want to be recruited. Crap.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:01 am UTC

Auction
Spoiler:
So, I think the best strategy on the pre-game and pre-pre-game is to maximize the amount of powers you get while minimizing the amount of energy you spend, no matter what the power actually does, because if it's bad, you can get it for cheap, and if it's good, some other person will probably get it and bidding more amount than that person isn't worth it.

So I didn't bid more than 36 on each item, hopefully either I'll get many powers for cheap or will save enough energy to do better on the pre-game auction, but I think it's more important how many powers you get than their quality.

I didn't consider the value of energy for this, because that will depend in how well one plays. E.g. having enough energy to survive many lynches isn't useful if people keep lynching you. If you play well, you may as well play the whole game with 1 energy left, after all, that's how most games are played, one lynch or shot, and you're dead.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

Maff Effect
Spoiler:
You know, I feel like I'm actually not sucking with strategy this time, but everyone's just ignoring it. I suppose it's better then being attacked for it, but any opinion would be nice.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

lynx

Postby lynx » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

Necro-cultia
Spoiler:
This is a strange move, I know. Sorry cult if it doesn't work out.
Basically I don't want to have thdl around as confirmed town if nobody counter-claims.
If we're both killed, it will be 6-3 town-cult tomorrow, and BN will remain the only con town.
Hopefully Krong and cjdrum will be able to recruit a PR tonight as well.

I hope I've done the right thing! I seem to be fucking up a lot in games recently. Maybe I should take a break from playing.

Christophoros

Postby Christophoros » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

eculc wrote:simple fun
Spoiler:
FUCK

I know who the mafia is (It's christophoros) but I don't have any way of justifying it. I know it's him because he's the only player left in the game that hasn't been online since the start of the last night, and there was no kill submission.

I know that using that kind of information is wrong, but...I don't know what to do.

this sucks.

Yeah, I just stopped submitting my night actions. Naive cop yo.
"Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake."

"Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement."

Never Forget

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

Christophoros wrote:
Spoiler:
FUCK

I know who the mafia is (It's christophoros) but I don't have any way of justifying it. I know it's him because he's the only player left in the game that hasn't been online since the start of the last night, and there was no kill submission.

I know that using that kind of information is wrong, but...I don't know what to do.

this sucks.

Yeah, I just stopped submitting my night actions. Naive cop yo.

Spoiler:
Subsequently, I realize my mistake when I remember that christophoros is the naive cop.

:oops:

Yeah, I realized that too.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:38 am UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
One down, 3 more to go.

It is extremely difficult to not revise my posts so that they sound less scummy. I'm also kinda angry that I'm a mafia traitor, because I would appreciate the assistance of someone attempting to cause a mislynch. Maybe I have a lyncher on me instead. I would appreciate that.

EDIT: Two down! Unexpected vote from the fake scummate, I appreciate that, even though he'll unvote if my wagon gets any real momentum.

lynx

Postby lynx » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

I'm still finalising the set-up for my turbo turbo, Shadowrun finished remarkably quickly. We can have it in sign-ups by tomorrow.

lynx

Postby lynx » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Necro-cultia
Spoiler:
Brilliant, I'm dead then.
Fucking hell.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Necro-cultia
Spoiler:
BigNose... ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME YOU FUCKING MORON!?!??!??!?!?!

I better get culted. If I lose because of this... I don't even know.

Deep breath. Looks like wam will get lynched and lynx will be wizarded. So it's the best outcome we have. Geez, I hope the wizard is paying more attention to this game than our elder.

Seriously, BigNose's question is CLEARLY answered in the description of elder in the rules. Give me a break! And even besides that, he picked his innocent cop target to be the wizard target!!!!!!! WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUCK???????

Deep breath. Deep breath.
-Adam

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
I appear to have lost.

thdl

Postby thdl » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

Necro:
Spoiler:
What is this, I don't even.... Why would BN pick me as the wiz target if he had a town result on me? And, if my calculations are correct, he just tied the votals. We have a large problem. I know lynx is scum, and wam still tops my suspect list. BN is gonna have to go down next to mpolo - which, if I'm right, means we had a cleric trying to be tricky or an elder who didn't want to counter claim. I'm not looking forward to D3. If I'm not dead, I'll (hopefully) be confirmed uncultable town, while the cult will be in an incredibly strong position. If I were cult, I would so false claim elder tomorrow. My top picks for cultees tonight are dim and cjdrum. This is the definition of FUBAR.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

Necro-cultia
Spoiler:
wam has to be cult, otherwise I don't understand lynx's counter claim. Unless it was BIFOM and both him and thdl are town o_O;;

After all this weirdness I wonder if town can win the game this night, if no recruit happened D1, scum!wam is lynched and scum!lynx is Wizarded. Or do we have to deal with a possible N2 recruit?
Cheers Marsh'n!

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

PYA

Spoiler:
OK, I am actually kind of legitimately pissed I got killed for lurking on a weekend - a weekend where I really didn't have any time to do mafia things! I had birthday parties and romantic dates and all sorts of things beside. I thought weekends were understood as busy times? Or did Lataro have some other reason for killing me really????? ugh. :(

PYA (post-spoilers)

Spoiler:
72 hours is a bit short for a lurker kill power imo. If I'd known there was a risk of that I would have let people know I was having a busy weekend. Ugh.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:10 am UTC

Auction (optional reading):

Spoiler:
Real life auctions have people seeing what other people bid for live, and to know what bids they've won as they happen (item auctions are sequential). Conditionals emulate that (better than cutoff), so I hope a future game implements them.
Cheers Marsh'n!

Elvish Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Postby Elvish Pillager » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

Necro-Cultia:
Spoiler:
FWIW, I think a mod who is serious about deadlines has a responsibility to set exact deadlines - "about a week from now" isn't a deadline, it's a dead... plane? (That didn't work very well. I just wanted something with one more dimension than a line. Should I have gone for "a dead space" instead?)

Holding the players responsible for determining when it's "past deadline" when the deadline is explicitly approximate will only lead to trouble.
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

pya (@madge and elmach)

Spoiler:
as soon as i sawthe kill i knew i had cocked up. my apologies.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Snark

Postby Snark » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

Auction:
Spoiler:
Conditionals necessitate an order for all items being bid on. That would make things unnecessarily complicated as conditionals could get insanely complex unless everything was announced as it was bid which would take an insane amount of time.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
If this ends with just USN left alive, does town or mqfia win?
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
Hopefully this will work one of two ways. Either my vote will not count since I didn't unvote and I will speedily be hammered, or it will count and obvious hammer tomorrow.

EDIT: Ooh this is an even better option. Victory is at hand.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
This game is pretty fun. :D
-Adam

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

PYA:

Spoiler:
For those keeping track at home and actually listening to what I say, and what I've done, it should be guessable what my alignment is. I submitted Mod as my alignment. The results?

I win when the mod wins. The mod wins when no one is killed for lurking or needs to be replaced. Thus, I have the ability to public daykill anyone who hasn't posted in 72 hours, and once per game, as I just did, I may post votals of my liking, and they become the actual votals. I also have some fun flavor writing abilities.

Nothing beyond those powers here, no sense in letting everyone alive though know that, as I said, I don't need to survive to win, I only need to make sure that the game ends without modkills or replacements. Giving them pause to attack me is just a means of trying to be alive to ensure that doesn't happen the next game day.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
Oh me yarm wam if Lataro's (or anyone's) win condition is to keep me alive, I will be so angry. If I'm so scummy, why not vote for me AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

wam

Postby wam » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

PYA @ lynx

Spoiler:
I would say it was medium bastardry I never lied to you!! Also I was kind of experimenting with this game so sorry if I have made it un fun!!

Well at least adam and lataro are having fun!! I think adam might win this from here.

Oh shit adam may have won already oh few there is a SK left (thudworm)

So left in the game we have

jester/mafia traitor
town
SK
Mod

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

PYA:

Spoiler:
If there is a NK, I'm trading on wine for it not to hit me tonight. :P

To Lynx: As you'll learn from my above spoiler, I really had no need for anyone specific to die. You were chosen though as the person most likely to want me dead, that was all. I hadn't planned to use that power, not so soon at least, until I was almost speed lynched while at work yesterday in the time between getting up and getting home from it. I knew if I didn't, that I'd be screwed. In retrospect, I would have preferred to have let the day continue, since Thudwurm isn't too far off from getting killable by me as things were going, however, the risk of getting lynched was too great.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH WHY DIDN'T HE PICK ME!!!!!!!

lynx

Postby lynx » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:00 am UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
I had fun until getting on Lataro's bad side. His role is interesting but I'm a bit annoyed to go out like that.
I liked how casual it was, but I don't think I'll be playing any potentially bastard games in the future.
Now that I've seen some of the roles, I doubt USN and I had much chance from the beginning.

Anyway, sorry USN! (ninja'd. actually never mind, traitor! :P)

Anyway, just having a moan after losing so many games on the bounce.
I think I need to be quiet and let everyone lynch each other, rather than getting involved and being killed every time.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:36 am UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
For the record, I never really doubted that Lataro wasn't telling the truth about the lynch. I just think that we should be allowed to talk if the hammer is in doubt and it pissed me off that Lataro was implying I was cheating by talking.
-Adam

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:55 am UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
I think I figured it out. Lataro doesn't have a win condition. No matter what he does, he will not win this game, but in exchange he gets a whole bunch of awesome powers where he just screws us over for the fun of it. I wish I had thought of that.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:25 am UTC

lynx wrote:PYA
Spoiler:
I liked how casual it was, but I don't think I'll be playing any potentially bastard games in the future.

PYA (for lynx):
Spoiler:
Awwwww :(
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:38 am UTC

Necro

Spoiler:
So lynx will get shot tonight as with BN backing up thdl it's obvious lynx was false claiming. TBH I am pretty annoyed that I got lynched with a claim and and a counter claim out there!!

Also from spoilers I see I was the innocent, that sucks was secretly hoping to be recruited by cult as I prefer anti town! Also really not good for town now.

I still feel on a gut level that this game is pretty hard for town to win if D1/D2 goes wrong.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:43 am UTC

PYA

Spoiler:
So with lynx dead the mafia only has USN who is a traitor left so the kill goes as well. So the only kill left in the game is thudworm's SK even night kill.

Also adam investigated thudworm and got anti-town last night. The issue is that at MYLO no-one will believe him!

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

PYA
Spoiler:
Crap. I don't know what to do. If I'm too scummy off the bat I could get killed. If I don't say something, they may forget about me somewhat. Grr Lataro :(

Return to “Mafia”