The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Madge

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

Ice Cream

Spoiler:
I hope I didn't just cast a losing vote >_<
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:53 am UTC

Ice Cream

Spoiler:
Noooooooooooooooooo.

I'm so discontent right now. I just lost two games in a period of only a few hours.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:56 am UTC

Multiverse:

Spoiler:
Kinda funny how spread out the votals are!

I think this is going to be a VERY bloody night, given most of the wizards still have spells left to cast and of those with spells left, a goodly bit have a kill of some sort. The secret mafia is going to be a huge trouble as is. I don't think they'll be winning this. Madge claiming like that pretty much destroyed their chances at survival. coupled with their lack of trust of each other, and poor communication, they are not in a pretty place. Each one of them gives the group a power just for being alive, and Madge is their only way to have a kill in this game. That's the way things go though when you claim a generally anti-town power right off the bat, high risk play, and personally, i don't see the reward aspect of it being anything remotely worthwhile.

The SK has chosen an interesting play, unfortunately for him, he's getting attention from the group of people that can seriously fuck him up. This lynch could go so many ways in the next 21 hours as close as it is. With that many people on the chopping block, more than one is anti-town.
DS9, after being told the story and moral of the boy who cried wolf by Julian.

Garak: "Are you sure that's the moral?"
Julian: "Of course. What else could it be?"
Garak: "Never tell the same lie twice."

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:04 am UTC

Multiverse
Spoiler:
I'm a Wizard and so's my wife!
Actually it's just USN and Snark. And we're "Good".

But my win condition is to remove all threats to town. So I'm townie!

And I have two of these Magic Missiles. I might just have some fun soon.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:38 am UTC

Probably not going to have a chance to post on any games for a day or two. Will try and get something done for worst roles in about 18 hours' time but no promises.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

lynx

Postby lynx » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

Sorry for disappearing everyone, I've had an absolutely mental week at work but should be back to posting over the weekend.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

I'm going to be away all weekend. Quiet week next week so content should be much better.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:07 am UTC

Multiverse:

Spoiler:
This should be a fun night. It should lead to an exciting D2.

just_me

Postby just_me » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:23 am UTC

multiverse
Spoiler:
ah crap. somehow snarks power must have fucked up my power. there should have been a oracle result on xeno at the beginning of the night. I assume its not a mistake by lataro that there hasn't been one.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:23 am UTC

Multiverse
Spoiler:
Hmm.. I think I'm going to be glad I wasn't voting for Tim. I doubt that 'not dying' is the only power he has.

Now my big question is who to recruit:
I was thinking I'd go with Adam, but he's had so much attention I'm afraid he'll be killed if town (or maybe if not).
Decisions, decisions.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Worst Roles

Spoiler:
My power was that all non-votes and NL votes count as votes for me.

You are the town Whipping Boy, you win when all threats to town are defeated.
Any no lynch vote or abstainment after 72 hours into a day (86 hours D1) counts as a vote for you. You may not claim this voting issue, however, the votes will show up in the votals after 72 hours as well.

I'm kind of pissed that I got hammered, even though it's my own fault for not having read my role clarification. I assumed I only got hammered at deadline rather than getting hammered during the day.

But yeah, wam said I could get hammered by my vote-accruing "power" as an aside after a footnote to a response to a completely different question, and that was about three days into d1 and two days away from when the non-votes would actually begin to count as votes against me. I clearly wasn't playing like someone with that power would (telling everyone to put a vote down, even if it's a random vote).

I don't think anything can really be done about this situation, I just kinda want to whine about it.

Arlick

Postby Arlick » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:03 am UTC

Worst Roles:
Spoiler:
What the hell happened to madge i wonder :S That seems like some serious overkill. I guess it will be revealed D2, as well as explain why she couldn't tell anyone what would happen to her. I just hope it's more of a recompense for an ability she used to benefit the majority.
I have some questions, and by that I mean one. Is anyone else afraid of toasters?
Go easy on my spelling, I am slightly dyslexic.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:47 am UTC

Worst Roles (@Arlick)

Spoiler:
I fucked up reading my role PM and misinterpreted it. I should have played differently.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:14 pm UTC

Multiverse
Spoiler:
Recruited Angua. Basically because she's not drawn too much attention, is clearly an experienced player, and didn't rate me too highly or as a cult leader in her analysis.

Hope that works out.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Snark

Postby Snark » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Mafia Reloaded
More info to get more players!
  • No vanilla roles.
  • The weapons used in the game will be selected from: Slingshot, Super Soaker, Kill-o-Zap blaster pistol, finger guns, Noisy Cricket, catapult, crossbow, elephant tranquilizer, fart gun, shrink ray, rubber band gun, Nerfgun.
  • Players may PM each other at any time.
  • The possible alignments are Town, Mafia, Serial Killer
  • Novel roles that I might use: Thief (steal guns/ammo from living players), Graverobber (steal guns/ammo from dead players), Night Owl (hears how many guns are fired each night), Private Eye (can tell whether a certain person fired a weapon in a night), Snoop (can see which guns/ammo a player is holding), Coroner (can tell which gun(s) killed a dead person).
  • Normal roles that I might use: Cop (Sane or Insane), Doctor, Tracker, Watcher, Bodyguard, Roleblocker, Role cop.
  • Role modifiers that I might use: Godfather, Miller, Macho (undoctorable), PGO, X-shot Bulletproof (NK immune)
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

StubbsKVM

Postby StubbsKVM » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

looks good Snark. I'll sign up once I die somewhere ;)
Stubbs - next time I'm scum I think I'll just policy NK you at the first possible opportunity.(Suzaku)

StubbsKVM

Postby StubbsKVM » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

Multiverse

Spoiler:
Cop: dimochka
Jailkeep: aardvarki
Busdrive: Xenomortis & Snark
I'll get to see if dimochka really slipped or not.
Snark is a likely target, so I'm switching him and Xeno.
aardvarki is also a possible target, who might need protecting.

Worst Roles

Spoiler:
I will be recruiting Lataro to the cult. Welcome!
Stubbs - next time I'm scum I think I'll just policy NK you at the first possible opportunity.(Suzaku)

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

:idea: Can we standardise on TIMES please? :idea:

We all live in different TZ's, so calling Day/Night time on Tues 23 9am TBD, only applies to those in that TZ (tbd is an e.g. here).

How about we use RELATIVE times.

Thus, D2 will finish in 3 days and 4 hours. or D4 starts in 17 hours.

Take the time from your OWN POSTING TIME and we can do the same, thus we see "3 days and 4 hours", but against the post is OUR TZ.

The days/hours only needs to be more exact, as you approach the Time.

Thus, all players then know EXACTLY when the Time expires, be it for Day or Night or whatever.

THX 8-)
Adacore wrote:In all honesty, BigNose has been pinging me slightly with almost every post since the start of the game. But he always does - I was utterly convinced he was anti-town for most of Wizardry2 and he was the High Wizard. I just can't read him.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

Or just specify the timezone. And don't use anything other than UTC.
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to know the UTC offset for their location (+/- DST).

The online timers are best though. Seriously, just use those.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

I will personally be continuing as I do now because when deadlines are far out there still, I'm not going to work the time from each post I update, when I can just have an exact time specified. During the final day when its down to hours I use exact time, however, not before. As for standardizing it, I'm fine with giving the utc offset from my time zone when deadlines will be reached. I will not be using a third party website for countdown clocks.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

I try to give all three - when I post a deadline, I'll state how far away it is relative to the post, when it is in my own timezone (even if I occasionally misname it) and link to a countdown. And one of these days, I'll make sure all three are consistent before hitting Submit, too.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

BigNose

Postby BigNose » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:36 am UTC

ConMan wrote:. . . I'll make sure all three are consistent before hitting Submit, too.

And that's the point. Why make things difficult for yourself?
Adacore wrote:In all honesty, BigNose has been pinging me slightly with almost every post since the start of the game. But he always does - I was utterly convinced he was anti-town for most of Wizardry2 and he was the High Wizard. I just can't read him.

Valius II
Location: You know, that place near the thing to the left of the whatsit.

Postby Valius II » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:48 am UTC

Since I'm super lazy, I have countdown timers that I use for things in my bookmarks bar and therefore, here is a link for the lazy.

Sorry that it is crappily formatted but I still have a restriction on posting links.

timeanddate(dot)com/countdown/create

wam

Postby wam » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Worst Roles

Spoiler:
My power was that all non-votes and NL votes count as votes for me.

You are the town Whipping Boy, you win when all threats to town are defeated.
Any no lynch vote or abstainment after 72 hours into a day (86 hours D1) counts as a vote for you. You may not claim this voting issue, however, the votes will show up in the votals after 72 hours as well.

I'm kind of pissed that I got hammered, even though it's my own fault for not having read my role clarification. I assumed I only got hammered at deadline rather than getting hammered during the day.

But yeah, wam said I could get hammered by my vote-accruing "power" as an aside after a footnote to a response to a completely different question, and that was about three days into d1 and two days away from when the non-votes would actually begin to count as votes against me. I clearly wasn't playing like someone with that power would (telling everyone to put a vote down, even if it's a random vote).

I don't think anything can really be done about this situation, I just kinda want to whine about it.

Worst Roles

Spoiler:
My apologies I should have made it clear in your role PM. I realised that you hadn't noticed hence the clarification (I did have a mental dilema about wether that construed too much modly inteference!

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

BigNose wrote:
ConMan wrote:. . . I'll make sure all three are consistent before hitting Submit, too.

And that's the point. Why make things difficult for yourself?

Why make things difficult for your players? And at least when I post two or three different measures of the deadline, if they're not consistent then I can fix the one that didn't mean what I thought it did, whereas with one measure I could be horribly far off and the players don't realise that the deadline is tomorrow, not next week.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

thdl

Postby thdl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:18 am UTC

Worst Roles:
Spoiler:
So I'm the town fisherman. I am compelled to "bait" one player each day, and any player that votes on them after that may not unvote. I have no night action. I baited conman just after I voted for him yesterday.

I suspect Madge was town, which puts us in a sad spot. I wonder if she wasn't allowed to tell us to vote to avoid the vote magnet.

Since conman didn't not garner any votes, I'm still thinking he's scum, but we'll see tomorrow. He'll probably be my bait target again barring anything else interesting happening.

I'm stuck otherwise, these roles are bad.. as they should be (2 people with basically no communication is hard). I wouldn't be suprised if Dj's a survivor.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:05 am UTC

Multiverse:

Spoiler:
Gah, I had to really go over things about three times to make sure I didn't make any mistakes.

For those playing at home, a grand total of three deaths failed to take place last night. Excellent use of protection on town's part in one case.

A LOT of stuff happened though, hence the day title.

StubbsKVM

Postby StubbsKVM » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:17 am UTC

Multiverse

Spoiler:
So that magic missile was probably aimed at Snark? If Xeno is some kind of evil mage, maybe I will succeed in my extra win condition.

t1mm01994

Postby t1mm01994 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 am UTC

Multiverse
Spoiler:
FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

just_me

Postby just_me » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:19 am UTC

multiverse
Spoiler:
I really want to read that spoilier by timm ^^
I think I figured out snarks power, his first vote D1 and each vote at lynch will create a magic missile directed at that preson. That explains the early madge missile and now the xeno missile.
I read the revelation by lataro as xeno being town. (true ally) But I am not really trusting these oracle-powers a lot at the moment. Maybe seeing him die could give me confirmation of whether they really work nicely. (especially with these alter alignements and maybe millers around)
I can't really do anything about the missile anyway.
But I think the reckless use of the missile early on and the argument for killing as much as possible puts snark in the serialkiller department.
I am just wondering when is a good timing to say these things.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:32 am UTC

multiverse

Spoiler:
So, I am the secret mafia (Whoo last standing!). It looks like I don't get a kill, and my win con is total faction domination. My extra win con is to have someone from my faction kill soeone from the mafia faction, which I think is impossible now. My actual win (if I don't get a kill) could be impossible too, maybe.

DJ said that there was a SK around who was lynch and NK immune as long as he was alive. So I think that that is Tim, and am betting that he is a secret member of my faction. So I left a little hint to Tim in my last post, hopefully I am betting right. But the fact that DJ said it was a SK makes me suspicious.

DJ and Madge, Y U GET KILLED?. This is going to be so hard now!
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

StubbsKVM

Postby StubbsKVM » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

Multiverse

Spoiler:
Looks like I saved aardvarki's life by jailkeeping him
And saved Snark's life too by switching him and Xeno. I hope that means they are both town.
Anyway, town better keep me around ;)

Aardvarki

Postby Aardvarki » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

Multiverse:
Spoiler:
Predictions: Diemo was the one who fired the fireball at me (and therefore is likely an evil wizard/sorcerer). Just_me is Secret Mafia.
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

By the way, if anyone ever wants a mod to write flavour/colorful death and intro posts, I'm generally good at that. Just throwing it out there.

Multiverse Spoiler of Spoilers:

Spoiler:
TIM! YOU FOOL!

I created you! And I will destroy you!!!

Indirectly, of course. Your death is proportional to how long after the survival people feel like lynching you again.

Anyways, Tim fulfilled my extra win-condition. Like Dr. Frankenstein, my predecessor, it was my destiny to be killed by my creation, which Serial-killer Tim is. But my faction also has to win. Which is now Diemo. So Diemo must live.

Go Diemo go!

(Tim was totally kill-immune for anyone of you playing at home, as long as I was alive. Now that I'm dead, he completely screwed himself over by making himself mortal right after becoming the fishiest scum to ever walk the earth. I'm guessing, by his last spoiler, he found out). Shame, I was hoping for some good SK shenanigans before the end of the game.

Lataro, you must make a sequel. Also, apologies if my death post was a bit much. I have an irrestistable urge to post a flavourful death post with a bit of a hint, although I do of course try and avoid it actually being usable by in-game players.

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:By the way, if anyone ever wants a mod to write flavour/colorful death and intro posts, I'm generally good at that. Just throwing it out there.

Multiverse Spoiler of Spoilers:

Spoiler:
TIM! YOU FOOL!

I created you! And I will destroy you!!!

Indirectly, of course. Your death is proportional to how long after the survival people feel like lynching you again.

Anyways, Tim fulfilled my extra win-condition. Like Dr. Frankenstein, my predecessor, it was my destiny to be killed by my creation, which Serial-killer Tim is. But my faction also has to win. Which is now Diemo. So Diemo must live.

Go Diemo go!

(Tim was totally kill-immune for anyone of you playing at home, as long as I was alive. Now that I'm dead, he completely screwed himself over by making himself mortal right after becoming the fishiest scum to ever walk the earth. I'm guessing, by his last spoiler, he found out). Shame, I was hoping for some good SK shenanigans before the end of the game.

Lataro, you must make a sequel. Also, apologies if my death post was a bit much. I have an irrestistable urge to post a flavourful death post with a bit of a hint, although I do of course try and avoid it actually being usable by in-game players.

Multiverse:
Spoiler:
It's already posted so it's fine, but in the future, please don't give such a hint again. As can you see from your own role reveal, I'm leaving details out of reveals that would give too much away to other players, your comment could easily fill the link to who exactly T1mm could be, and thus out him.

As for a sequel, I may one day. I did a lot of experimental stuff this game, so we'll see how it goes first.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

Worst Roles (DJ May read)

Spoiler:
You survived to D2!!

t1mm01994

Postby t1mm01994 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

Multiverse
Spoiler:
FUCKFu.. Wait, this isn't going as badly as I expected! If I can get the non-townies on someone else, I might be able to live a while, claim to have a side thingy developing in the lab, claim hulk comes out because of a night kill at some point to scare of mafia, and I just may have a tiny chance of winning after possibly the single worst D/N1 cycle in mafia history. Now to get attention off me, except a doctor - I could really use that.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

Multiverse:

Spoiler:
Why are none of you killing Tim!?!?! Easiest lynch ever man!

Seek my vengeance!

Lataro

Postby Lataro » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:07 am UTC

t1mm01994 wrote:Multiverse
Spoiler:
FUCKFu.. Wait, this isn't going as badly as I expected! If I can get the non-townies on someone else, I might be able to live a while, claim to have a side thingy developing in the lab, claim hulk comes out because of a night kill at some point to scare of mafia, and I just may have a tiny chance of winning after possibly the single worst D/N1 cycle in mafia history. Now to get attention off me, except a doctor - I could really use that.

Multiverse: (T1mm may read)

Spoiler:
Haha, go for it man! I'm pulling for you, if only to see the near equiv same role I won with win again now that your protector is gone.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:37 am UTC

Worst Roles
Spoiler:
I'm not too surprised I got killed, but I was planning on saying I'd target Arlick (without claiming what I was targeting him with, because I'd be the world's best cult recruit). Hammer surprised me. I'm glad the other players figured that out, even though I'd think it sounded weak if I didn't know it was true.

Return to “Mafia”