The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

wam

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby wam » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:40 am UTC

Enders

Spoiler:
Bus bus bus away! Sorry Dimochka, but it was partly self defense, partly distancing. I still think you can save this though! Hammer the lynx point home!

Shogun

Spoiler:
Mpolo is right adam is playing them all like a piano! So he will fail this mission then get to pick a team and allocate powers. With the suspicion all going onto DJ and lynx. :twisted: :twisted:
Come join us playing mafia signup here

wam

Postby wam » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Enders

Spoiler:
I wonder if I have saved Dimochka or if I have doomed myself.

So theres 10 players left alive.

We lynch a none mafia today kill another and stubbs gets mod killed that will elave us at

3/4 so one mis lynch and we win it. Assuming the cult don't get in the way!

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Shogun
Spoiler:
So I literally have nothing to do in this game except spread wine. Should I spread a lot of wine, or a little?
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:56 am UTC

Salem WItch Trials

Spoiler:
Hopefully I've managed to be quiet and avoid the eye of both town and scum.

I'm the doctor, lucky me. I'm going to protect dimochka because why not. I think the witches won't target the judge because it's a pretty useless power.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:49 am UTC

Ender
Spoiler:
That false claim may have come out better than I originally expected. And funny enough, I did ask Vieto about my wincon, but my question had nothing to with Achilles. And yes, I still think lynx is a bugger.

I think it was Misnomer or someone with a similar writing style who came up with a great false claim in some game. Need to find which game, but I definitely took some pointers from there.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

lynx

Postby lynx » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

Enders
Spoiler:
Damnit, ninja'd by the mod. I was going to post:

wam is probably town. Not sure why he's so intent on lynching me though. mpolo is also townie.
dimochka is probably telling the truth and was roband's accomplice. I'll read back through their night-chat to see how that checks out.
I don't have Achilles in my wincon, then again he was in my team which might have had something to do with it.

Vote: just_me
I'll look through his posts individually but this close to deadline he's my top pick for scum. He seems to be agreeing with people far too much.

Turns out I was quite unlucky with my group! And I just turned into a toothless SK.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

Salem
Spoiler:
Friendly neighborhood SK here!

just_me

Postby just_me » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

ender
@dimochka
Spoiler:
haha got me good convinced of your non-scummyness there. sorry that it hit you due to deadline.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

Ender

Spoiler:
If only we had lynched lynx, mafia had it in the bad. I won't say anything in chat due to listneres but madge where were you?

So going for the blatent strategy now, have asked tormod if he is in the IF.

Planning to cause a mass claim tomorrow, on the basis there are two town aligned groups IF and enders Jeesh. Therefore 2/3 of the remaining must be mafia.

One of them is bignose so that leaves 2 out of 2 (but one is town he he he). And this should hopefully out the remaining member of the IF. Which means that even if town lynch perfectly we can kill them all off.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

Ender
Spoiler:
Admittedly, this game was a bit more vanilla than most. I was sort of expecting the armies gimmick to forge alliances between, say, Dragon army and the Mafia (for example). Ah well, my gimmick games (Clue, etc.) tend to feel less satisfying than my big crazy games (Avengers, Jurrasic Park, etc.)

Ah well, I'll have to get back into proper chaotic mode for Breaking Bad then :twisted:

Because lets face it. I'm doing this for me. I like it. I am alive. Image

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

Salem

Spoiler:
So, about now I would be exorcising Xeno if I were still in this game.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Salem

Spoiler:
So, about now I would be exorcising Xeno if I were still in this game.

Salem (Living players may not read):

Spoiler:
Unfortunately, you'd be wrong.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:03 am UTC

Salem (living players may not read):

Spoiler:
So folks, dead and onlookers, last night happened to be a night of pure serendipity in Salem Town... and I suppose the only one who benefitted from it was Dimochka, our resident SK.

Basically:

-Just_me (the Constable) chose to inspect Suzaku, one of our three Witches. At the same time, the Witches had decided to kill Dimochka. However, Madge would have none of this, and used the doctor power on Dimochka, who was then protected from death. This allowed Dimochka to successfully murder just_me, keeping Suzaku's identity a secret.

Meanwhile, ConMan, the gossip wanted to pick Adam for a private daychat during D2. However, to Conman's dismay, Adam, as part of the 3-day Plague, is to be silenced D2, so he had to pick again. He picked Mpolo, who as clergyman had actually just investigated ConMan for sin. ConMan, likewise, decided to publically accuse Tormod, who spot-on was in fact the Witch who had given Adam plague in the first place.

I don't know if this kind of serendipity is common in Mafia games, but it was nice. Kinda disappointed the Exorcist role didn't get a chance to shine... but eh. We'll see how D2 goes.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:06 am UTC

Salem (living players may read)
Spoiler:
Unlike the previous two spoilers, my warning is not redundant.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:09 am UTC

Xenomortis wrote:Salem (living players may read)
Spoiler:
Unlike the previous two spoilers, my warning is not redundant.

Salem (living players may read):

Spoiler:
Oh hush. Just a reminder. Although technically you are all Puritans. Rule following is sort of your calling.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:39 am UTC

Salem
Spoiler:
Why didn't dimochka bloody die? I hope my dwelling on the missing witch kill doesn't look too suspicious (I think it's valid), but dim has a really good (or bad) record of accurately calling out scum, and I want him gone.

Also, I have a feeling we might have to throw Tormod under a bus sooner or later.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

Salem
Spoiler:
I have no clue how to play SK. I don't wanna lurk, but the best way is to keep suspicion off myself is to lurk. And clearly what I did with that accusation is the exact opposite of lurking. Hello target on my back.

Tormod is very likely indie or scum. Suzaku is doing too much speculation into night kill, could be scum too. Misnomer is my next guess although I wouldn't put jester past him, especially with that lack of vote at day's end. firesoul could be an indie. I think the rest are town.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

Salem:
Spoiler:
Holy hell, Dimochka just guessed all three witches in one go. Suzaku's freaking right. He is good.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Advance warning for Ender's and Salem Witch Trials:

I am going to be on holiday from the 30th of October till the 7th of November. I'll still have internet but maybe not the time nor inclination to post or read.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:13 am UTC

Hm... has a "Multiple Personality Mafia" ever been made?

My basic idea behind it would be that each player would be assigned several roles that they'd rotate through (either by choice or by mod's designation). Every night/day they'd fulfill the bounds of their role. If they were to die, it would be that role which was killed, and they'd truly die off once all their "multiple personalities" had been killed.

I'd have to think out the snafus of such a game though. For instance, what to do if someone got mafia and town personalities, or mafia and sk personalities, and etc.

Hm... it would be wild though.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:49 am UTC

Salem:
Spoiler:
Hmm. I suspect Suzaku as being Wicked, but I've got little to base that on so I'm not going to say anything just yet. Might drop a note to mpolo if I think he can be trusted with it.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:33 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Hm... has a "Multiple Personality Mafia" ever been made?

My basic idea behind it would be that each player would be assigned several roles that they'd rotate through (either by choice or by mod's designation). Every night/day they'd fulfill the bounds of their role. If they were to die, it would be that role which was killed, and they'd truly die off once all their "multiple personalities" had been killed.

I'd have to think out the snafus of such a game though. For instance, what to do if someone got mafia and town personalities, or mafia and sk personalities, and etc.

Hm... it would be wild though.

Possible hitches:
1. Game length. Assumes ten players. Jumps to twenty effective players with two personalities (in terms of length). Turns monstrous with additional personalities.
  1. Solution: Killing spree. Give out kills like candy.
      - Issue: Diminishes investigative powers and lynches. Helps protection, immunity, and redirecting powers. Requires either a large Mafia or excellent Mafia powers. (Workable, but tricky.)
  2. Solution: Evaluate remaining players/personalities after X days. Award victory based on that.
      - Issue: Creating fair and balanced victory criteria.

2. Reads. Expects at least one Town/Anti-Town split. Outs their entire faction (including themselves). Becomes jester-like.
  1. Solution: Do not give players conflicting alignments.
      - Issue: Lengthened the game unnecessarily. Might as well not use personalities. Could use rotating powers instead.
  2. Solution: Use Independent roles heavily.
      - Issue: Relies on links between players. Struggles to identify large numbers of unrelated players. Deepens after accounting for shifting alignments from "dying".
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:32 am UTC

The Shogun's Folly
Spoiler:
Well, that could be the draw that turns this around for town. If they can out Adam as a Shogunate lackey, they should be able to win reasonably easily. Of course, that relies on people listening to Djehutynakht, so it probably won't happen :twisted:
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:37 am UTC

Would there be any interest in a flavourful, closed, no-vanilla-roles game with an angels vs. fallen angels theme?

wam

Postby wam » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Maybe depends on how other games go.

Shogun
Spoiler:
Well that was bad luck on those powers life would ahve been easier without them! I hope I haven't given resistance the keys with that long post but ll we need to do is get me or adam on this mission or the 5th and we have it won. Also I would love it if somehow I got this team through! I know this is going to be rejected but I can hope

Enders

Spoiler:
I need to check what I said to madge as the plan was for her to accuse lynx. Moody is right she is mafia but I am hoping that I can poke enough holes in his story we lynch him and remove the IF. Also clearly no one has noticed the mafia win con of defeat the IF the buggers and achillies. As then they would realise that all we need to do is get rid of moody. My worry is that if he survies moody is going to be doctored by tormod so I am going to have to kill tormod first then survive tomorrow then kill moody. Which could be a challenge.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

Salem (Adam may read)

Spoiler:
I so nearly posted underneath your empty post, "was there meant to be something in that"!! Ooops.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

Ender's

Spoiler:
If the kill for mpolo hadn't gone through we wouldn't have gone with this claim. Mpolo knew that I still "suspected" BigNose N2. Good thing we killed him because it's much, much easier to deny being roleblocked when the person who roleblocked you can't even confirm that they roleblocked you.

If nothing else, I might die but then at least my scumbuddy knows who the other member of the IF is and we can kill them and win. That in itself makes my death worth it.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:17 am UTC

Enders

Spoiler:
Sorry that my plan backfired so much madge!

Right so It looks like I am doomed but heres the catch no one has noticed. I just need the IF to be dead, so what I need to do is convince tormod to not doctor moody so I can kill him. Now I may just claim outright in team phoenix chat the PIA is that just_me is in there too. But I Vieto said I stayed in so can help tormod complete his wincon.

Shogun

Spoiler:
So wine spilling time!! Was tempted to just give diemo the pwoers and out myself as a spy but I figured that would clear DJ and lynx this way I only create one know Resistance member DJ.

Basically He come out to me I say Resistance lynx invesitagetes me and I paint him as a lying spy. he comes out to lynx who says resistance so I say spy on lynx.

Basically we end up with a them having to take a 50/50 on whether to trust me or lynx on this mission.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Enders

Spoiler:
So new theory time, each team leader wants theres to be the only one left alive. This makes so much sense.

It explains why Lynx is so keen to gun for tormod. Madge is being gunned for because killing her removes a team.

It makes sense of bignose's weird play.

The question is what is Just_me's goal in all this.

I buy Moody being in the IF. I just need a clean shot at him tonight!

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Salem
Spoiler:
Almost going to plan. All I need is for either Xeno or Madge to hammer to make this lynch a one-for-one trade. And hopefully come off looking really townie, too.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:22 am UTC

Someone NOT playing Salem Witch Trials with modding experience, I need some quick advice:

Spoiler:
What happens when a Mafia is jailed for the night? Do you openly suspend them from the Mafia chat? Do you just tell them, or the other Mafia? Do you tell them why?

Thanks

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:25 am UTC

Salem
Spoiler:
We have power conflict? And priorities weren't set before hand?
Anyway, I jailed Suzaku. I jailed ConMan N1.
Let's see.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:29 am UTC

Salem: (Xeno may read):

Spoiler:
No. Not a power conflict. Just a technical clarification for a first-time moderator.

Don't worry. All is fine in the little town of Salem.

Well... except the Witch infestation. You guys might want to do something about that.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 am UTC

Salem
Spoiler:
Yeah, we're working on that.

On an unrelated note, I will be quite surprised if Tormod flips scum.
I'm also surprised at how easily people are assuming Adam is town.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Ender's

Spoiler:
I AM SO PISSED RIGHT NOW. Why the hell are they lynching me??

hahahahaha just kidding. I decided to make an angry rant because this day was getting boring and I'm probably going to get lynched today anyway so it would add some excitement and I'm actually OK with that because my scumbuddy has got all the info we need from the day's events.

Also who knows maybe an angry rant might help my game? I'm thinking it probably won't though. But it's fun!!!!!!!

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Someone NOT playing Salem Witch Trials with modding experience, I need some quick advice:

Spoiler:
What happens when a Mafia is jailed for the night? Do you openly suspend them from the Mafia chat? Do you just tell them, or the other Mafia? Do you tell them why?

Thanks
Probably too late of a response (no living players in Salem may read):
Spoiler:
I don't generally let jailing extend to chat. But if you must, I'd say something like "X is currently unable to speak in Mafia Chat" then "X is now able to speak in Mafia Chat".
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

wam

Postby wam » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

Shogun

Spoiler:
So I went with the truth now, DJ has been banging on and on about tormod so I guessing he goes for a tormod check. If he checks adam, well I have already said he should check adam and why would I tell him to check my own teammate :twisted:

So from this, 2 possible results

1 DJ cons tormod as town. Therfore I propose a team of

Wam
DJ
Tormod

Which I think may actually get accepted, I think Mpolo trusts me tormod would vote for it, add in one of adam's and diemo's votes I win.

If adam gets outed with diemo voting publically the best thing he can do is vote opposite all game.

But anyway I think I can get on either mission 3 or 5 as long as the powers allocated for the next 2 missions aren't real PIA!!

Also adam's been very quiet all through this mission....

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:46 am UTC

Shogun
Spoiler:
'Overheard Conversation' result PM
Late at night, on your way to the jakes, you overhear a cloaked, hooded figure talking to your fellow retainer, Tormod.

The stranger, clearly a Shogunate agent is trying to talk Tormod into betraying Yoshitsune.
"You can't possibly win, you must know this. Yoritomo is too strong. The Shogunate will surely crush this little rebellion, and Yoshitsune will be taken, tried and executed."
"That may be so," replies Tormod, "but if it is then I will go to my grave happy to know that I served my lord faithfully to the end. And long after you, if you don't leave this camp now."
Drawing his sword, Tormod continues, "Go! Tell whoever claims to lead that Shogunate rabble you call an army that we will never surrender, never betray, never lose faith. We will be a thorn in your Shogun's side, a bitter draught for him to drink, an arrow aimed at his heart and a sword set at his neck. Now get thee gone ere I send thee to [i]Yomi
before your time."

Speechless before Tormod's clear wrath, the stranger turns and flees into the night.[/i]

Power: Overheard Conversation on Tormod
Result: Loyal to Yoshitsune (Resistance)

I'm rather happy with this bit of flavour, and I thought it would be a waste to just let it sit in a PM, so here it is.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

Suzaku wrote:Shogun
Spoiler:
'Overheard Conversation' result PM
Late at night, on your way to the jakes, you overhear a cloaked, hooded figure talking to your fellow retainer, Tormod.

The stranger, clearly a Shogunate agent is trying to talk Tormod into betraying Yoshitsune.
"You can't possibly win, you must know this. Yoritomo is too strong. The Shogunate will surely crush this little rebellion, and Yoshitsune will be taken, tried and executed."
"That may be so," replies Tormod, "but if it is then I will go to my grave happy to know that I served my lord faithfully to the end. And long after you, if you don't leave this camp now."
Drawing his sword, Tormod continues, "Go! Tell whoever claims to lead that Shogunate rabble you call an army that we will never surrender, never betray, never lose faith. We will be a thorn in your Shogun's side, a bitter draught for him to drink, an arrow aimed at his heart and a sword set at his neck. Now get thee gone ere I send thee to [i]Yomi
before your time."

Speechless before Tormod's clear wrath, the stranger turns and flees into the night.[/i]

Power: Overheard Conversation on Tormod
Result: Loyal to Yoshitsune (Resistance)

I'm rather happy with this bit of flavour, and I thought it would be a waste to just let it sit in a PM, so here it is.

Shogun
Spoiler:
That is some very nice flavour. I've put flavour into PMs before, and I agree it always seems a shame that only the people it's sent to will see it.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:13 am UTC

Enders

Spoiler:
So do I go for the ultimate gambit or not. Now theres a chance moody will investigate me tonight,

SO my guess there are two town left, Moody and Just_me lynx and tormod probably both have the team win con. Bignose Who the hell knows.

Now I need moody to die. The problem is that tormod may protect him.

Now the crazy part of me want to claim to tormod as mafia convince him I can help him and then get him to protect someone else.

The problem is that Just_me will overhear everything....

May just try and convince him to protect bignose agian :twisted:

Return to “Mafia”