The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

HipsterPuff

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby HipsterPuff » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:29 pm UTC

MMM
Spoiler:
ballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballsballs

kalira

Postby kalira » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:17 pm UTC

Shakey Shakey Shakespeare
Spoiler:
Cannot read spoilers, obv, as I am a potential sub. If I'd had time, I might have joined the game outright. My first choice would likely have been Puck, then Caliban, then maybe one of the Antipholi or Dromios from Comedy of Errors. I wonder if any of those are in the game, or what mpolo would have done with them had I signed up.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:10 am UTC

Shakespeare Mafia
Spoiler:
If you're trying to figure out who I am, I quoted my character again in my last post. I will probably be pretty obvious about it soon because I want to have fun with the role now in case I am lynched or night killed.

Wild ass guess time:
Freezeblade - Falstaff
Moody - Polonius
Gopher of Pern - King Lear
Djehutnakht - Iago
Madge - Hamlet
SDK - Friar Lawrence

I will have the rest of them soon.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

Shakespeare
Spoiler:
I feel a little mean, because I'm not explaining my posts at the end, but a) I'm not the only one, b) my entire role serves to create confusion in this game, anyway, and c) I really do feel like I'd be cheating on my post restriction. I probably have the least time of all of us to spend on this game, but I'm not finding it a problem to read through the rhyme, at least not yet.

Side note, I have a bus driving power. I don't have a strategy for it, because I'm not good at strategy, but honestly, I'm pretty sure good Robin would just use it randomly anyway. This game, is going to be so much fun if I don't screw myself over somehow.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:27 pm UTC

Shakespeare:
Spoiler:
Oh the Irony.

When posting about how I'll be away for Halloween I brought up the fact that it is a night when ghosts walk the Earth.

I am the Ghost of Hamlet.

Mini Easter Egg.

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:40 pm UTC

Shakespeare:
Spoiler:
I plan to play really aggressively this game, partly because I'm worried that timid play will leave the game to stagnate when people have trouble getting reads on post restricted content, and partly because it fits the personality of my character. My restriction has been pretty fun so far, and I'm certainly glad I didn't get a poetry writing restriction. I plan to withhold my action tonight since there are likely more other town power roles out there than scum (and I don't have good enough reads to know the difference this early), and since using my action would only cause wine if a doctor came forward with a result. In fact I might keep withholding until I see a doctor flip or we start approaching LYLO. I wish I could ask someone more experienced about this strategy, but I can't exactly do that without roleclaiming.

MMM:
Spoiler:
It's too bad that ajh wasn't lynched. This is the second time I'm on the early part of a wagon that kills a townie and saves ajh. Hopefully if I catch too much flak for it I can get them to lynch ajh first. I would really hate to die without getting to successfully use my power at least once. Speaking of which, sorry for lynching your medium D1 dj. That would have been a really cool role to see in action. I hope there are more roles like that out there.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:24 pm UTC

MMM:

Spoiler:
Well if you guys kill Dr. Frankenstein Ill have fun. I hope he uses his power though.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:04 am UTC

Shakespeare Mafia
Spoiler:
OK I lied. I posted that Henry IV quote because I think YOLOSWAG is Henry IV. It's partly because of the John Berryman quote he made. Like when I quoted Dylan Thomas.
I think dimochka is Horatio.
Moody is Polonius.
I think Madge is Hamlet and a jester.
I don't know who USN is yet. Maybe Puck?

Oh, and why Dylan Thomas? I quote him for a memorable honour, for I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:51 pm UTC

Shakespeare

Spoiler:
O great bus with wheels that go round
here I place Lunch Meat before you on the ground.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:19 am UTC

MMM

Spoiler:
So, my power means I can come back from the dead once per game. I am now going to try and softclaim. My reference to the choice of NK is meant to be softclaiming doctor but who knows if it's going to work.

I'll also try and be a bite more active and townie to try and get scum's attention. After all, if I'm NK'd I benefit like a successful doctor target would. Plus, if I'm NK'd that pretty much confirms me town though it would make for a nice scum gambit. And if I get confirmed town out of it, a doctor, if there is one, can keep me alive with or without the aid of WIFOM.

So yeah, scum!! PLEASE KILL ME *flails hands wildly*

Coming back after being lynched will also help - it'll turn a mislynch into an NL, which is strictly an improvement.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:23 am UTC

MMM

Spoiler:
Well, that would explain the quote marks when we "killed" Lunch Meat. Oh, and town, you're welcome for removing a potential distraction.

*continues to grumble while eating a delicious pretzel stick*

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:05 pm UTC

Shakespeare
Spoiler:
I want to post this in the game thread as an explanation for my overreaction earlier, but I can't figure out how to say what I want to say without inviting speculation about the ongoing MMM game which is a no-no. The reason I got so frustrated was because I've been lurking as hard as I can in the MMM game, offering no conclusions or opinions and promising follow-up later without giving it, and I couldn't believe everyone thought it was just completely normal. (I was also lurking in the Shakespeare game because I didn't want to make it obvious that I was lurking on purpose in the MMM game.) And then GoP posted in *both* threads that it was normal of me to flail/apologize for not posting, and what with everything else that had been building it and how my efforts in MMM were going nowhere it just made me mad.

MMM
Spoiler:
I am 95% sure SDK is scum because he hardly challenged me at all after D1, and I think it's because he knew I wasn't scum. He's better than that and doesn't let a chance to challenge someone go by, but I think he didn't want to be leading the charge on a possible townie.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

MMM
Spoiler:
I'm tired of trying to look townie, and shakespeare is taking up more of my time than I expected (that post restriction!) I'm sure of SDK's scummyness, but he'll just deflect it into something else (nobody ever listens to me about him). I have a result that minestrone visited Gopher of pern, but I don't know what good that will do. Wish I could have gotten a result when I tracked SDK N1, but apparently my candle kept getting blown out (I think meaning roleblock).
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:27 pm UTC

Shakespeare
Spoiler:
Dj seems to have a similar role to mine. Seems to want confusion. I can arrange that. It seems like he won't get lynched, so I'll probably bus drive him and someone else. I feel most comfortable staying away from the super townie or the super scummy, because I don't want to mess up cop results. That's the easiest way for the game to be over quickly, and a quick game is in my favor. But I do want something to happen. Maybe Madge.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:48 am UTC

MMM:
Spoiler:
So LM was a jester. Never would have guessed. If you're allowed to read this yet Lunchmeat, I think your lurking strategy failed less because people expected you to lurk and more because so many other people were lurking.
Anyway, it would be awesome to get SDK lynched today but I don't think anyone but freezeblade will actually go for it. But the day's still young, so who knows. This is whether or not they're telling the truth, though I think they are since a real important power role wouldn't pull the softclaim thing, and if he does have a role where he wants to get nightkilled, no need to fabricate a whole new role to justify it.

Shakespeare:
Spoiler:
Scumhunting is always such a crapshoot. Lurking could mean scummy or busy. Contradiction could be scum slip or just townie mistake. I'm not much more sure that moody is scum than anyone else, but oh well.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:34 pm UTC

Shakespeare
Spoiler:
Yes, the irony of me arguing over whether to lynch a survivor or not is not lost on me. If I ever have to reveal I'll be screwed. I never should have said it, but I wanted to put suspicion on the bulletproof one because a) I don't want to be copped, and b) that's one less person scum May kill, making it more likely to be me. I want the chances of that to never be slanted in my favor.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:04 pm UTC

MMM:

Spoiler:
Internal Note:

Maident has the role of Dr. Frankenstein, allowing them to take three "bodies" of dead players and cobble them together into a new player, randomly selecting from the categories of Player, Position/Power and Alignment.

Maident chose Hipsterpuff, Mpolo and William. The results of a dice roll say the new character will be....

*drum roll*

A town Lovecraft Fanclub Mason played by Hipsterpuff.

Now I have to see if Hipsterpuff consents to rejoining the game. That power kinda sucks though... seeing as Gopher of Pern is soon to be culted into the Mafia. Should make the game more interesting.

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:55 pm UTC

nevermind
Last edited by Madge on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:27 am UTC

Shakespeare
Spoiler:
If tragic hero=town, I made a fortuitous mistake. The mod told me tragic heroes have a blank verse post restriction, but I misread and thought that was part of my post restriction. My use of it is therefore probably more natural than if I was trying to fake it.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:20 pm UTC

Shakespeare Mafia
Spoiler:
Here's my guesses before the blank verse revelation, so I'm already wrong somewhere.

Freezeblade – Falstaff, Mafia, poetry based restriction
Lunch Meat – Juliet, Town, must post in blank verse
UniqueScreenname- Puck, Survivor, must post in rhyming couplets
moody7277 – Polonius, Town, must pad every post with a proverb
Gopher of Pern – King Lear, Town
Djehutynakht – Prospero, Mafia, poetry based restriction
Madge – Hamlet, Jester
SDK - Friar Lawrence, Town, must include a religious reference in every post
Dimochka/kalira – Horatio, Town, must have something scholarly in every post
#HBC | Zyth – Iago, Mafia
#HBC | YOLOSWAG - King Henry IV, Town

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:40 pm UTC

MMM

Spoiler:
SDK wrote: If [ajh] truly were a weak townie, wouldn't the scum finish him off, especially with townies leading that wagon (me and Misnomer Day 1, Misnomer and Lunch Meat Day 2)...

Thank you SDK for suggesting a possible LYLO scheme. :twisted:

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:49 pm UTC

MMM

Spoiler:
Aw, I was kinda hoping Maident wouldn't claim.

If Xeno learns Maident is Dr. Frankenstein, the scum might avoid killing Maident.

(For those of you playing at home, Maident is Dr. Frankenstein and Xeno is Frankenstein. Frankenstein is "lovers" (more of a father/son deal) with Dr. Frankenstein. If he dies, Frankenstein kills himself out of regret. Xeno knows this. Maident doesn't.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:21 pm UTC

Shakespeare
Spoiler:
I am so upset. I never get night killed, unless Madge is scum, so I'm guessing Madge is scum and I found her again. Urgh.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:27 pm UTC

Shakespeare

Spoiler:
Well, I wanted to track USN, but I decided to track Bessie because I thought nobody would kill her. Sigh.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:51 pm UTC

shakespeare
Spoiler:
Welp. I'm probably dead now. LM is acting super-scummy though, and this whole "answer me!" is irritating, building an entire case on me around it, when it wasn't clear there was anything asked. fun as it lasted, lets see what others think.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:20 am UTC

shakespeare
Spoiler:
Sorry moody. I don't know if we could have saved you, but i know given how crappy I was at the beginning I had to be at the top of my town game, and after analyzing the lynch targets town!me would definitely have voted you.

If we end up lynching freezeblade and he's SK or something, I'm going to feel so proud of myself. I was just throwing stuff out there, but his response honestly did seem really suspicious to me. If he's town, I'm probably screwed.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:51 pm UTC

Shakespeare Mafia
Spoiler:
Aw, I am so disappointed, because I was having so much fun! Actually, my death is not that bad for town, because I was vanilla anyway until someone died. I had a feeling I was night killed because I kept waiting for a PM that I thought would say something like this:

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players.
They have their exits and their entrances
And one man in his time plays many parts.

Polonius is dead and you will take over his role as the town watcher…
(I was right about the Polonius/watcher part).

I think I will wait a little while longer before reading the spoilers so I can console myself with the thought that freezeblade and DJ probably killed me because they fear my super awesome scum hunting abilities! In reality, the mafia probably killed USN for that very reason and the town vig probably killed me for saying something dumb somewhere.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:26 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Shakespeare Mafia
Spoiler:
If you're trying to figure out who I am, I quoted my character again in my last post. I will probably be pretty obvious about it soon because I want to have fun with the role now in case I am lynched or night killed.

Wild ass guess time:
Freezeblade - Falstaff
Moody - Polonius
Gopher of Pern - King Lear
Djehutnakht - Iago
Madge - Hamlet
SDK - Friar Lawrence

I will have the rest of them soon.

Spoiler:
Wow, that's pretty scarily accurate.
Gopher is only disguised as Lear, though, and a couple of yours aren't right (Freezeblade and Djehutnakht)…
Image <-- Evil experiment

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:16 am UTC

Monstrous Masquerade Mafia:

(Dead players CAN read this one):

Spoiler:
You guys can read all spoilers now.

You're free! Free!

(All roles that may have required the dead are now either used up or have been killed)

Lunch Meat

Postby Lunch Meat » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:53 pm UTC

MMM
Spoiler:
I *knew* SDK was scum! Even if he wasn't the kind I thought he was.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:13 pm UTC

MMM:
Spoiler:
Tracked SDK again. Last time it failed, hoping I get something useful this time.

Shakespeare
Spoiler:
Killed Lunch Meat, if you're reading this, I'm hoping it spreads wine. I don't actually know if you're scum or not, but stiring the pot is what I'm susposed to do as the SK. :P And I killed bessie the previous night :mrgreen:

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:36 pm UTC

Shakespeare:
Spoiler:
Damn, didn't realise deadline was coming up. Not that I could have saved myself anyway. I apologise to everyone playing: I have exams on so I really didn't have enough time to devote to the game. I had a pretty good post thought up for just before I got lynched though.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:04 pm UTC

MMM
Spoiler:
Misnomer wrote:So... no kill, and I totally roleblocked Madge last night.

Vote: Madge

Not technically true, but I'm pretty sure Madge is scum and I've no intention of giving her a chance to escape the hook by revealing I jailed her.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:01 pm UTC

MMM
Spoiler:
This is actually quite bad.
We tried to kill Misnomer and were blocked, so he's either bulletproof, was doctored, or we were roleblocked.
Given Misnomer's claimed roleblocker and I'm a mafia roleblocker, the last option seems unlikely, he was likely protected.
Which means someone out there is pretty damn sure Misnomer is town.

At least a Madge lynch seems possible now.
But unfortunately targeting Misnomer again risks wasting another kill, and a roleblocker in the late game is bad news.
And I can't be sure I survive to the end game, because I die when maident dies.

And how is it still 3v7! Less than 1 kill per night sucks so much.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:08 pm UTC

MMM

Spoiler:
SHIT.

I hope that was the doctor getting lucky and not something inherent in Misnomer. With various claims and schemes, we were down to only a few kill candidates last night.

If both Misnomer and Madge's claims were true, could we have killed Madge N3?

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:02 pm UTC

MMM

Spoiler:
Man, I am surprised by how well my phoenix claim has prevented me from being lynched. I mean, it has the advantage of being true, but still, I thought it would sound far fetched and wouldn't help. Glad I seem to have chosen the right time to claim. Pity that it means that scum probably won't try and nightkill me - I'm trying to imply that I'm not immune to NKs, just lynches, but that's not easy to imply, and also, I don't exactly want to get killed by someone's vig type power.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:41 pm UTC

MMM:
Spoiler:
Frustrating. I can't keep a mason buddy for longer than a day. At least the heat is off maident and hipster.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:10 am UTC

I'm looking for a replacement in Shakespeare Mafia. Please PM me if you're interested. You could take over immediately, assuming the original player doesn't suddenly check in before that.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Minestrone

Postby Minestrone » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:14 pm UTC

MMM:
Spoiler:
I feel kind of bad attacking moody, despite my ability and all. I just hope that if he's lynched it'll get me and Gopher the townie points I hope it does. As the town has been saying, they really need a scum flip, without which they're kind of groping. So even though it won't be a numbers loss for us I'm kind of worried it'll be an information loss. At the same time, I don't feel like there's enough of a case to attack Madge and moody's slip seems pretty blatant. I wonder if GoP is a mason. That would make the bussing all worth it probably. And who knows what more this day holds?
Um, in case anyone reading this doesn't know already, I have a recruiting ability that takes three days and only activates when there are less than 3 scum. I've been preparing GoP for recruitment and he's ready now but it can't happen until one of us dies. Thus why lynching moody wouldn't be a numbers loss.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:27 pm UTC

MMM

Spoiler:
The sad thing is, I would likely have made that same mistake had I really been town. At least it gives a plausible excuse for Minestrone and Xeno to bus me, and GoP will look townie if/when I flip scum instead of the converted monster he'll be upon my lynch.

THE MINOTAUR PWNS YOU ALL! (except Misnomer, still not certain what happened there)

Return to “Mafia”