The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

jimbobmacdoodle

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:48 pm UTC

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
So ConMan is lone wolf presumably based on spoilers and my N3 results. I almost wonder whether his ability is some sort of random targeting power.

Players and their alignments:
Suzaku - town
SirG - werewolf
Conman - lone wolf
Znirk - town
Roadierich - town or traitor

It's going to be touch and go for team wolf
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:01 am UTC

Secret Santa (trigger warning: contains potentially distressing material)
Spoiler:
patzer sent this in a PM to the mafia chat, I think it has information relevant to the mafia community, if not to the entire xkcd forum games community:

patzer wrote:I find it distinctly uncomfortable to carry on in these circumstances.

Vytron, I've lost count of the number of times that you've started a game, someone has given constructive criticism on an aspect of that game, and you've responded by blanking all your posts and changing the title of the thread to "[Player] ruined this game" or something like that.

I know I'm being harsh here, but the fact that you take out your inability to withstand criticism on other players (mostly me) to make them feel bad? It really irks me.

I don't know why you have this problem with dealing with criticism - and it's unfortunate that the whole thing happened - but it amazes me that you cancelled that Mafia 101 game, yet still try to blame me for its death.

I hoped that a joke would lighten the tensions. It is clear now that that wasn't the case.

I don't really want to remain on the forums in this environment. Sorry.

@Suzaku: Request Replacement

and I intend to take an indefinitely long break from these forums.

Apologies to all the players affected by this.

I'll say that I deal well with constructive criticism but not with destructive one. You can recognize the latter when someone does something that doesn't bother most people, but that makes some pissed off, so the pissed off ones become critics and want to change stuff just to make things better for themselves.

I know, because I've been on the other side. Being the critic that destroys the motivation of mods to do stuff. The highest event, and the one I still regret to this day was Deva's Pokémon games. I really behaved terribly on those and things were damaged beyond repairs. Deva never was as engaged in games as she was before and I'm still sorry about it.

The source of my case with patzer was my invention of the word "werewolfii" to refer to a mafia team that posts spoilers in game thread instead of using PMs (which worked well), but username and patzer wouldn't accept it as a new word, claiming it was a "deliberate mispelling" of werewolf. They claimed it was annoying and requested me to stop, so instead of getting a game going on where people'd sign up, it became a drama about it. I cancelled the game, and after faubiguy took over the series couldn't get off and died.

In Secret Santa, patzer believes there's tension for some reason, says she's surprised that the game has 4 mafiosi, then makes a note to me to notice how mafiosi is used, as if I didn't know, just because I used mafiosi instead of mafioso in my first game of the series (which evolved into mafiosii and werewolfii) even though I claim saying "I'm a masiofi" makes as much sense as saying "I'm mafia" (which is widely used), and that I purposely named the side masiofi instead of mafia, so it was never incorrect. Says it's a joke to release the tension.

I don't like losing patzer over this, but I was afraid asking for a replacement and cancelling Ghost III was an overreaction on my part. Quitting the entire forum over this makes my actions small in comparison. And I doubt it was only about me, since patzer talks about "the forum's environment", and I doubt I have as much effect on it as to make people quit. patzer was already on the line and this pushed her over it.

Still, I'd like to apologize to all the people that will be missing playing with patzer over my actions. All my memories of playing with patzer have been great ones, specially, the most fun I had in a game was in Dudiobugtron's Chess boxing. Good times. I can only hope for patzer to eventually come back and that things go for the better.

--------

I'm just glad that Lawrencelot and DJ appeared to replace patzer and me for SS and that the collateral damage of this will be minimized for the game, as it'd have been really unfortunate if the entire game was ruined over such a squabble.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:47 am UTC

Smalltown:

Spoiler:
Man, town completely played into wolves' hands with my lynch. The "YOLO MIGHT be a lone wolf so let's keep suspicion on him!" arguments were such forced bullshit. The wolves wanted me gone due to my powers. I really hope Town loses because I think the wolves played way better overall.

I know some are skeptical about me killing faubi, but I don't regret it. We were absolutely sunk when SDK/freezeblade died and I may have lasted longer had I more time to play the game. That said, I was kind of forced to kill because there were so many roles who could screw us. Talk about a tight rope but 3rd party is supposed to be tough. We should have made better use of the mind control powers too. Fun game regardless and vigging was pretty fun.

The funniest part about this is that I was being linked to SDK off of some dumb early game comment, but I actually posted that before I read my role PM because I recognized him from my last game here and he said hello in pregame so wanted to acknowledge him.

dimochka, did you ever get the pm I sent you warning of the kill? I hope you did, I didn't want the kill to come off as mean-spirited or out of nowhere; it was for strategic purposes.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:02 am UTC

Smalltown (@Yoloswag)
Spoiler:
Yes, I did and I replied to it! No hard feelings at all, I thought it was actually a decent strategy given the situation.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:36 am UTC

Ghost III

Spoiler:
I'm excited to write flavour! I'm going with 'american hackers trying to guess deflection codes for incoming russian missiles' because who doesn't like the cold war. (I guess probably people who lived through it under constant threat of global nuclear war???)

Here's my role PMs:

Ghost:
You are Molly Anderson, all-American master hacker! You and your partner Dylan Davis (XX) are the last hope to save the wonder and power of Capitalism from those commies - the world ending missiles have been launched, and you need to find the jammer code.

It took you months of you both typing into a terminal window - together, on the same keyboard, as hackers are wont to do - but you’ve finally cracked into the password hint database for the Russian Missile Command. These password hints, coupled with the fact that one of your spies once saw over someone’s shoulder that the jammer code was six characters long, should be enough to save the world.

Now you need to use some good old-fashioned social engineering to get that intel before the nukes start a chain reaction that will only end in nuclear winter for the entire world.

Villager/Fool:
Death to those capitalist pigs! You are General Boris Ivanov, a trusted commander in the Russian military who has been trusted with an important code. At the moment you don’t quite remember if it was the deflection codes for the nukes or the code for the cafeteria door - but either way, it’s important and it’s your job to protect it from any unsavory characters. And, as it happens, you’ve got a helpful memo from your supervisor reminding you to update your password hint on the computer system.

What was your password again? Oh dear, no wonder you need a hint so badly. Oh! That’s right, it was XXXXX. Hopefully none of those damn pintos will be able to figure it out, or the world might never know the joys of communism and/or nuclear winter.

Roles will be sent out at approximately (Madge local time, now is 16:30):

16:30
21:00
10:30
13:30
14:30
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:27 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
I like being able to play more free an easy. It's nice to be a part of a group because you get more info that way, but you have too much tailoring done on what you post. Also helps that I don't have a night action, so I don't need to be all that secretive with my motives in thread. What you see is what you get.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:37 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
Either I've stirred the hornets nest or I've gone completely off the rails...

Ah well, I wasn't going to play another game safely.
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:51 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Secret Santa (trigger warning: contains potentially distressing material)
Spoiler:
patzer sent this in a PM to the mafia chat, I think it has information relevant to the mafia community, if not to the entire xkcd forum games community:

patzer wrote:I find it distinctly uncomfortable to carry on in these circumstances.

Vytron, I've lost count of the number of times that you've started a game, someone has given constructive criticism on an aspect of that game, and you've responded by blanking all your posts and changing the title of the thread to "[Player] ruined this game" or something like that.

I know I'm being harsh here, but the fact that you take out your inability to withstand criticism on other players (mostly me) to make them feel bad? It really irks me.

I don't know why you have this problem with dealing with criticism - and it's unfortunate that the whole thing happened - but it amazes me that you cancelled that Mafia 101 game, yet still try to blame me for its death.

I hoped that a joke would lighten the tensions. It is clear now that that wasn't the case.

I don't really want to remain on the forums in this environment. Sorry.

@Suzaku: Request Replacement

and I intend to take an indefinitely long break from these forums.

Apologies to all the players affected by this.

I'll say that I deal well with constructive criticism but not with destructive one. You can recognize the latter when someone does something that doesn't bother most people, but that makes some pissed off, so the pissed off ones become critics and want to change stuff just to make things better for themselves.

I know, because I've been on the other side. Being the critic that destroys the motivation of mods to do stuff. The highest event, and the one I still regret to this day was Deva's Pokémon games. I really behaved terribly on those and things were damaged beyond repairs. Deva never was as engaged in games as she was before and I'm still sorry about it.

The source of my case with patzer was my invention of the word "werewolfii" to refer to a mafia team that posts spoilers in game thread instead of using PMs (which worked well), but username and patzer wouldn't accept it as a new word, claiming it was a "deliberate mispelling" of werewolf. They claimed it was annoying and requested me to stop, so instead of getting a game going on where people'd sign up, it became a drama about it. I cancelled the game, and after faubiguy took over the series couldn't get off and died.

In Secret Santa, patzer believes there's tension for some reason, says she's surprised that the game has 4 mafiosi, then makes a note to me to notice how mafiosi is used, as if I didn't know, just because I used mafiosi instead of mafioso in my first game of the series (which evolved into mafiosii and werewolfii) even though I claim saying "I'm a masiofi" makes as much sense as saying "I'm mafia" (which is widely used), and that I purposely named the side masiofi instead of mafia, so it was never incorrect. Says it's a joke to release the tension.

I don't like losing patzer over this, but I was afraid asking for a replacement and cancelling Ghost III was an overreaction on my part. Quitting the entire forum over this makes my actions small in comparison. And I doubt it was only about me, since patzer talks about "the forum's environment", and I doubt I have as much effect on it as to make people quit. patzer was already on the line and this pushed her over it.

Still, I'd like to apologize to all the people that will be missing playing with patzer over my actions. All my memories of playing with patzer have been great ones, specially, the most fun I had in a game was in Dudiobugtron's Chess boxing. Good times. I can only hope for patzer to eventually come back and that things go for the better.

--------

I'm just glad that Lawrencelot and DJ appeared to replace patzer and me for SS and that the collateral damage of this will be minimized for the game, as it'd have been really unfortunate if the entire game was ruined over such a squabble.

At Vytron:
Spoiler:
Went south before you interjected. Confronted fewer issues with two players and no/fewer priority attacks. Felt exhausted also, due to (necessary) adjustment discussion and rental Pokemon creation.

Engages less for other reasons. Follows games with pre-existing flavor knowledge more. Applies to Tamagotcha (or Emperor’s Groovy Mafia) most recently. (Lacks familiarity with Doctor Who and Discworld.) Generally prefers watching, even so. Is quite shy.

Considered creating more games, also. Stopped before finishing. Featured too many rules, unknown flavor, too much dialogue, and similar issues. Frontloads lots of effort. Wastes it in the event of low interest.

Examples:
Blue Moon Lower Xkcdia.png

Planned unique buildings elsewhere. Copied these closely, minus minor changes.

Mafia game Investigation Phase. (Not Phoenix Wright themed.) Intended to label locations later. Defends the upper left door as a sliding wood door. Finished the second floor too.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:56 pm UTC

At Deva
Spoiler:
Thanks for the info! That looks very cool. I'm a big fan of your flavor and your games and will be looking forward to your future projects.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:35 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
moody7277 finds me scummy because of lack of active content. WTF? Are we using different definitions here?
I've started breadcrumbing a false role in case it comes to a full role-reveal later as I don't think a known PGO will be of any use. It's quite hard when you're not a native speaker and I feel my attempt was quite crude.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:17 am UTC

Smalltown:

Spoiler:
I debated claiming Sibling Survivor with patzer but decided that it was too risky. Turns out it probably would have been the right call with them being absent from the game. :(

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:31 pm UTC

Ghost III

Spoiler:
Ended up as a ghost this time. My clue is so I can bull through as the fool with the word "satire" as I know it has six letters. Setup means there are three unrelated clues. Since I know the ttwo that don't have associated words, it should be easy to figure which are the villagers. After that it gets trickier of course.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:11 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
No idea if anybody is reading these, but I am a town "clumsy watcher". I have a chance that the people I see while watching might see me.

I sent in "Creepy Mall Santa" (cops as scum at night, town during the day, and gives out presents with one-shot powers, some of them townie, others not so much).
Image <-- Evil experiment

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:01 pm UTC

I saw several reactions in the games that did not make too much sense for me, so question time to anyone who's willing to help me understand the prevalent opinion of this community on the following subjects:
- what is considered an 'original content'? Is it information that wasn't specifically requested by someone else?
- why is asking questions considered to be 'lurking'?
- many complain about lurkers while not posting that much themselves. At what point do you consider someone lurking? Is it based on post-count? Is it based on time between posts?

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:04 pm UTC

- what is considered an 'original content'? Is it information that wasn't specifically requested by someone else?

Original content means saying something that nobody has said before. This is considered townie, as, mafia sometimes struggle to make up fake cases against other people, and so they may wait to see the opinion of real townies, and agree or expand what they said. Great mafia players are able to produce analysis and opinions that are original, but it is difficult and for town players it comes naturally, so usually posting original content makes people appear more faithful.

Sabrar wrote:- why is asking questions considered to be 'lurking'?

Not "lurking", but "active lurking." The former is not posting at all, or not posting much, with short messages and/or sporadical messages. On the latter people may post a lot, or may be making long posts, but careful analysis reveals that they're not having much content on those post, so it's as if they didn't post at all, because their posts are empty (once you remove the fluff.)

Asking questions can be considered active lurking because it's very easy for mafia players to dedicate their time to ask questions (so they can post a lot) and make a lot of questions (so it seems as if they're actively participating.) It's a suspicious behavior mainly when you ask those questions but don't follow up discussing the answers to them, so that it reveals that you didn't care about the questions, but about appearing to be doing something.

At what point do you consider someone lurking? Is it based on post-count? Is it based on time between posts?

Lurking/active lurking can be considered by the amount of content from a player, that you can summarize, after a certain period. A player can post something every 2 days (extreme case) and not be lurking if when they post they address things, post analysis of other players and reply to questions to them (i.e. posting in a single post what'd you'd have posted on all those days if you posted regularly) while a player that makes a post hourly (extreme case) but that after two days hasn't said anything at all would be actively lurking.

So lurking is about the content (or quality) of the posts you make and not about their frequency, with the exception of players that are accused of lurking over short time frames of not posting when it's clear they're active in other parts of the forum (which would be "intentional lurking" - and it's suspicious because then it points out the player avoided posting because it's the easiest way to not incriminate yourself, make connections to other players, and such.)

Finally, remember that people may accuse others of lurking/intentional lurking/active lurking without it being the case, and that just because the accusations happens it doesn't mean that it's actually real, and that mafia players may accuse others of such activities to appear actively participating themselves. Because the easiest thing you can do in a game is accusing of lurking the most inactive players.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:08 pm UTC

Thank you Vytron for those very detailed answers! I'll definitely have something to ponder upon.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:35 pm UTC

Ghost III

Spoiler:
Well, that was unintentional - it's MYLO on D1 with 3 villagers and 2 ghosts. I don't see any other way to do it as with only one ghost I think it would be too hard for the ghosts to win.

The two words are 'editor' and 'buffer', for what it's worth. They were both chosen at random.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:05 pm UTC

Smalltown
Spoiler:
Everything was looking so good for the werewolves at the end of D4. 6 players were expected to wake up, we believed we had the only remaining nightkill, and we knew ConMan was scum and Suzaku was town. All we needed to do was get ConMan lynched, which shouldn't have been too hard, and then nightkill Suzaku, leaving me and a traitor and two townies. And I had a foolproof plan to ensure werewolf victory from there. But then ConMan turned out to be a lone wolf and killed the traitor and denursified the town vig (not sure what he expected to gain from that move), so I doubt I'll make it through the night. Oh well, at least it was the most fun mafia game I've played so far.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:06 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Ghost III

Spoiler:
Well, that was unintentional - it's MYLO on D1 with 3 villagers and 2 ghosts. I don't see any other way to do it as with only one ghost I think it would be too hard for the ghosts to win.

The two words are 'editor' and 'buffer', for what it's worth. They were both chosen at random.

Ghost III
Spoiler:
5 players is not ideal. The best you can get is 3 villagers, 1 fool, and 1 ghost. That way the ghost has to actually figure out the word to win.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:37 pm UTC

Smalltown @ sirG (he can read)
Spoiler:
SirGabriel wrote:Smalltown[spoiler]Everything was looking so good for the werewolves at the end of D4. 6 players were expected to wake up, we believed we had the only remaining nightkill, and we knew ConMan was scum and Suzaku was town. All we needed to do was get ConMan lynched, which shouldn't have been too hard, and then nightkill Suzaku, leaving me and a traitor and two townies. And I had a foolproof plan to ensure werewolf victory from there. But then ConMan turned out to be a lone wolf and killed the traitor and denursified the town vig (not sure what he expected to gain from that move), so I doubt I'll make it through the night. Oh well, at least it was the most fun mafia game I've played so far.

So by this then, did I basically call everything right? I kinda stopped following the game and only reading spoilers.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Van

Postby Van » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:55 pm UTC

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
Somehow, I went from 100% sure this was in the bag for scum at the end of D4 to being pretty sure scum has no chance on D5 :cry:
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:08 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:Smalltown @ sirG (he can read)
Spoiler:
SirGabriel wrote:Smalltown[spoiler]Everything was looking so good for the werewolves at the end of D4. 6 players were expected to wake up, we believed we had the only remaining nightkill, and we knew ConMan was scum and Suzaku was town. All we needed to do was get ConMan lynched, which shouldn't have been too hard, and then nightkill Suzaku, leaving me and a traitor and two townies. And I had a foolproof plan to ensure werewolf victory from there. But then ConMan turned out to be a lone wolf and killed the traitor and denursified the town vig (not sure what he expected to gain from that move), so I doubt I'll make it through the night. Oh well, at least it was the most fun mafia game I've played so far.

So by this then, did I basically call everything right? I kinda stopped following the game and only reading spoilers.

Smalltown @Sungura
Spoiler:
You had Madge as jester/scum and Suzaku as wolf; they were both town. You had me as townie and CF as town or lone wolf; we were both werewolves. Snark and ConMan weren't on your list; they were both lone wolves. You put Van as town; she was traitor. You had RR as Unsure, which is exactly where I would put him now: he could be either town or traitor (my guess is traitor, although I'm less confident of that now that Van flipped traitor). But you were right on everything else, including picking out the entire alien team.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:38 pm UTC

Smalltown @SrG
Spoiler:
i forgot my updated list i wrote day 3 or day 4 is in spoiler lol. I wont share since you are still alive but your reply was still helpful. I mean day2 is hard to call everything 100% from :p
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:16 am UTC

SirGabriel wrote:

Spoiler:

Ghost III
Spoiler:
5 players is not ideal. The best you can get is 3 villagers, 1 fool, and 1 ghost. That way the ghost has to actually figure out the word to win.

Ghost III

Spoiler:
Yeah 5 is a terrible number for this game. In retrospect I think this way is probably more balanced, if there's only one ghost they've really got no hope, the nature of the game biases is towards town since in Ghost II the town won by shutting up and lynching for the most part, now town has to be very, very careful on D1 or they lose, but I think they have a pretty good chance - plus town have flavour in their role PMs that they can use when it comes to claiming. They also have unique names, but it's easy enough for the GHOSTs to make up a fake russian name that would pass muster.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:27 pm UTC

Madge wrote:
SirGabriel wrote:

Spoiler:

Ghost III
Spoiler:

Ghost III

Spoiler:
Yeah 5 is a terrible number for this game. In retrospect I think this way is probably more balanced, if there's only one ghost they've really got no hope, the nature of the game biases is towards town since in Ghost II the town won by shutting up and lynching for the most part, now town has to be very, very careful on D1 or they lose, but I think they have a pretty good chance - plus town have flavour in their role PMs that they can use when it comes to claiming. They also have unique names, but it's easy enough for the GHOSTs to make up a fake russian name that would pass muster.

Ghost III (duh)

Spoiler:
Some random ideas to "fix" this: What if the ghosts don't win at majority, but have to guess the word to actually win? Maybe they get to discuss before each surviving ghost makes a guess if there are no townies left? Maybe there is no kill, too?
Image <-- Evil experiment

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:01 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:So lurking is about the content (or quality) of the posts you make and not about their frequency, with the exception of players that are accused of lurking over short time frames of not posting when it's clear they're active in other parts of the forum (which would be "intentional lurking" - and it's suspicious because then it points out the player avoided posting because it's the easiest way to not incriminate yourself, make connections to other players, and such.)

Follow-up question on this point as I want to be absolutely sure about it. Is it considered ethical to bring up posts in other threads as proof of a player's lurking, or is it in bad taste and discouraged?

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:46 pm UTC

Ghost III @ mpolo

Spoiler:
Yeah, that could have been a way to do it, by giving them chat - the ghosts don't have an NK though, so I guess we got something.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:39 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
Welp, that ended quickly. At least I avoided the lynch at any rate :)

Unfortunately, it looks like my night action ended up killing CF - although my guilt here is slightly assuaged by the suspicion that based on their avatar CF was the one who submitted my role in the first place!

*runs off to look at the spoilers*
moody7277 wrote:The role of SDK in this game will be played by Misnomer. [/soapopera]

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:00 pm UTC

Misnomer wrote:Secret Santa:
Spoiler:

Unfortunately, it looks like my night action ended up killing CF - although my guilt here is slightly assuaged by the suspicion that based on their avatar CF was the one who submitted my role in the first place!

Spoiler:
nope. Not the role I submitted.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:01 pm UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:
Misnomer wrote:Secret Santa:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
nope. Not the role I submitted.

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
Ah. In that case I apologise profusely :P

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:29 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
The poisoning was a shock. I didn't get any info in a PM, and the in thread announcement is singularly uninformative. Will have to see what happens next. Snark's concern that there might be hidden mechanics in his role is likely on me since he was one of the people I chose to redirect.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:23 pm UTC

Misnomer wrote:Smalltown:
Spoiler:
Just ran a quick calculation, and I think it was technically possible at the very start of the game for 22 players to die night 1. With the lynch as well, only 3 players would be left alive for day 2. :shock:

It's already impossible for the death toll to be that high and extremely unlikely for it to be anything greater than 5, but it amuses me to know it was a possibility. :lol:

Smalltown, @Misnomer
Spoiler:
Where are you getting those numbers? I only see a handful of kills plus a yearning spy and a pair of lovers.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:29 pm UTC

SirGabriel wrote:
Spoiler:
Just ran a quick calculation, and I think it was technically possible at the very start of the game for 22 players to die night 1. With the lynch as well, only 3 players would be left alive for day 2. :shock:

It's already impossible for the death toll to be that high and extremely unlikely for it to be anything greater than 5, but it amuses me to know it was a possibility. :lol:

Smalltown, @Misnomer
Spoiler:
Where are you getting those numbers? I only see a handful of kills plus a yearning spy and a pair of lovers.

More smalltown, endgame spoilers:

Spoiler:
I assume that involves everyone who can do so targetting Perry with a non-kill power doing so, him activating his 1-shot, and no overlap on the kill powers.

Misnomer

Postby Misnomer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:08 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:
SirGabriel wrote:
Spoiler:

Smalltown, @Misnomer
Spoiler:

More smalltown, endgame spoilers:

Spoiler:
I assume that involves everyone who can do so targetting Perry with a non-kill power doing so, him activating his 1-shot, and no overlap on the kill powers.

Smalltown:
Spoiler:
Correct - it was extremely unlikely it would happen of course, but not impossible!

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:27 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
Welp.
Minestrone wrote:Just going by the end of day votals, I'd say my 3 top suspects are emlightened (for being the only one not dead who voted moody), freezeblade (for voting Misnomer) and SirGabriel (for not voting at all! I'll have to go back and check if they had an excuse for this). I'll go back and look at these 3 more closely later.

I'm mafia, and I nightkilled Misnomer, who voted moody, hence making me one of the most suspicious people alive. I also miscounted the votes, and put my vote on moody as I thought it brought it up to a 4/4 tie, not 5/4 against Madge.
At least neither of the other two top suspects are mafia.
Let's see if I can make it through Night 2.

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:31 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:Follow-up question on this point as I want to be absolutely sure about it. Is it considered ethical to bring up posts in other threads as proof of a player's lurking, or is it in bad taste and discouraged?

Depends on your meta. If you're "Mr. Nice Guy" and friendly and your method of remaining alive is to make people want to keep you around, then yes, each game should be taken as a single, independent event, and you shouldn't go around saying things like "in that game you did this, and in this game you did that", and shouldn't point out that someone is participating in other games and not here, or accusing them based on things that happened outside the game thread. The game is what happens on the thread and outside interference should be allowed.

Otherwise, everything that is not disallowed in the rules can be done. This includes checking out the last time a player was active on the forum, or monitoring the players that appear on the Online list so you can gather info about someone getting on just as a kill happening and stuff. Trying to deduce things about how often a player posts in Gojoe... whatever information you can have in your hands that you can use to improve your chances of winning, like posting proof of scummy behavior of someone by posting screenshots of mafia games that they have played outside this forum.

So it depends on your play style. If you view these games as a story of sorts, where what matters is the flavor and getting attached to your character, you'd want to forget that this is a forum game and do your best to play as you'd do it in real life, where there's no such thing as "lurking" and where those are extraneous elements that aren't part of mafia games.

If what you care is about winning it is valid to point our anything you can to gain an advantage, and this includes posting proof that a player is lurking.

Personally, I tried to be from the former group at first, but it really didn't work as players that did what it took to win were more successful. Since then I always try to push what can be done in games without breaking the rules (like when I opened a spoiler at Gojoe and posted a image of it in the thread).

Ultimately, do what you find the most fun doing, because things that are discouraged or in bad taste usually are only considered so by a few people that will tell you so. To answer the question, no, there's nothing wrong about posting proof in a thread that a player is lurking, but don't be surprised if one day, someone points out they don't like it.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:38 pm UTC

Thank you again Vytron for such a detailed answer!

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:15 pm UTC

Secret Santa 2015:
Spoiler:
Woah! I actually got my D1 vote right! I must say that I have surprised myself, as the longer things went on the more nervous I was that I was completely wrong with my opinions (there was no justification about that, more the fact that I am nervous about being committed to something). Worse, I knew I'd feel bad if I helped lynch a townie and remove them from the game!

Actually, thinking about it, in both my scum games I was able to do some element of scum-hunting and was surprisingly successful then as well (not Sungura levels of success of course, and helped by limited inside information in Smalltown, but still). I guessed ConMan and SDK as possible suspects in Draculafia before I became part of the scum team. I also guessed Van to be traitor in the latter part of Smalltown correctly, though most of the alien flips took me a little by surprise.

Also, I've gained chat with Minestrone, after being roleblocked last night, both parts claimed by Minestrone in chat due to his role as a board game enthusiast. The claim seems to make sense, mostly because I sent in a rather over-complex board game enthusiast role that included role-blocking and chat effects, which I suspect the mod has toned down. Now to figure out whether Minestrone is actually town...
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:37 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Well, I'm dead, but I sent in a PGO who is actually a poisoner - so it looks like my role will be killing townies from beyond the grave because the townie who drew it isn't claiming it

mua ha ha ha!

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:13 am UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Madge seemed to defend moody7277 quite heavily so I really hope he turns out to be scum as well (given that most probably I poisoned him). I'm curious what ability he used on me outside of a kill?
Being accepted as Town should help prevent fellow townies targeting me, so everything looks good for now from my perspective.

Edit: terrifying thought: if scum submitted my role originally then they know that I was the one to get it and if we don't lynch moody7277 today then he will kill me tonight as he's already poisoned. Assuming 3 remaining Mafia players that's a 25% chance of dying. Brrrrr.

Return to “Mafia”