The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Deva » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:09 am UTC

Impromptu Mafia
Spoiler:
Question One: What is the Mafia win condition? Usually states something like 50% or more of the vote. (Assumes no serial killer. Favors the serial killer, in that case.)

Question Two: Would add
d) any possible night action result, true or not. Randomly selects between Town, Mafia, Independent, True, False, Sane, Insane, Naive, Paranoid, and any combination of players.

Interpreted it as c) or d). (Depends on playfulness. Might enjoy writing flavor for a surprise True or Insane result.) Presumably intended it as a drawback. Fulfills that best by remaining unaware.

Wrote it sufficiently vague, however. Argues all options decently. Feel free to pick a). Teaches a good lesson in writing your own roles.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:35 am UTC

Impromptu Mafia

Spoiler:
Thankyou so much for your help! You've given me a lot to think about.

Mafia win condition is: "eliminate all other anti-town factions and achieve permanent control of the vote"

So 1v1 is not control of the vote....

The thing is, my tiebreaker rules result in all tied people having a 50% chance of being killed (independently, so both can die or neither can die). So 1v1 means that if there's a tie, they could both die or neither could die.

It's in town's best interest to vote for the scum because it gives them a 25-50% chance of winning. It's in scum's best interest for perpetual NLs (resulting in scum victory once bulletproof vest is used up), but given town will be voting scum's best interest is to vote so it goes into the RNG, 25% chance NL and we go down to the next paragraph (result: 50% scum, 25% town, 25% draw), 25% chance scum dies and town wins, 25% town dies and scum wins, 25% both die and it's a draw.

If there's NL, scum uses up one bulletproof slot, and we have 1v1 normal town v scum, however we still have the same tiebreaker rules. We have 25% chance NL and scum wins, 25% chance scum L town wins, 25% chance town L scum wins, 25% both die and draw.

So overall probability:

25% NL: 12.5% scum, 6.25% town, 6.25% draw
25% town
25% scum
25% draw

--> 37.5% scum, 31.25% town, 31.25% draw

Turns out the "flip a coin" tie mechanic IS REALLY CRAP FOR ENDGAME.

Possible solution: Add another rule: if there are only 2 players remaining, all days end in NL until someone wins.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:49 am UTC

Impromptu Mafia
Spoiler:
Sounds like a good rule.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:13 am UTC

Thanks so much Deva!!!
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:45 am UTC

Impromptu Mafia:
Spoiler:
Oops, got away with that, but I had it in my mind that there were three votes on heuristically_alone already, when I posted last night, hence my reluctance to hammer. Tracking moody tonight. Let's see how honest he's being about the gunsmith.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:45 am UTC

Whoops, accidental double post. Feel free to delete this post.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:17 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Impromptu Mafia
Spoiler:
Question One: What is the Mafia win condition? Usually states something like 50% or more of the vote. (Assumes no serial killer. Favors the serial killer, in that case.)

Question Two: Would add
d) any possible night action result, true or not. Randomly selects between Town, Mafia, Independent, True, False, Sane, Insane, Naive, Paranoid, and any combination of players.

Interpreted it as c) or d). (Depends on playfulness. Might enjoy writing flavor for a surprise True or Insane result.) Presumably intended it as a drawback. Fulfills that best by remaining unaware.

Wrote it sufficiently vague, however. Argues all options decently. Feel free to pick a). Teaches a good lesson in writing your own roles.

Impromptu Mafia

Spoiler:
Jimbob hasn't submitted his target yet, but at the moment he's the mafia's kill target. I'm going to random.org to go between my a-c and deva's d with equal probability:

.... looks like we're going with Deva's extra playful result. Excellent!!!!

Possible players to get result on:
1. matt96
2. heury
3. Sabrar
4. SirGabriel
5. mpolo
6. Lawrencelot
7. moody7277
8. jimbobmacdoodle

Possible results of:
Town,
Mafia,
Independent,
True,
False,
Sane,
Insane,
Naive,
Paranoid,
1. matt96's role
2. heury 's role
3. Sabrar's role
4. SirGabriel's role
5. mpolo's role
6. Lawrencelot's role
7. moody7277's role
8. jimbobmacdoodle's role
1. matt96's submission
2. heury 's submission
3. Sabrar's submission
4. SirGabriel's submission
5. mpolo's submission
6. Lawrencelot's submission
7. moody7277's submission
8. jimbobmacdoodle's submission

Whichever two come closest to the top in the list randomiser get sent:

(don't worry that's not my real IP address)

So, looks like jimbob's result is:

Sabrar is Naive

That's going to be a bit confusing. But oh well, these things happen right?

roband

Postby roband » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:23 pm UTC

Hi folks. 'sbeen a while.

I'm looking to run some mafia games, and need to remind myself of how to balance a game.

Can anyone suggest a few basic, balanced, game setups (for maybe around 10 players) - so that I can get myself back in the groove? Thanks.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:37 pm UTC

There are a huge number of setups for 9 players that are more or less balanced (and contain only a few power roles), you can see examples here, here and here. These contain no 3rd party roles.
It is a bit harder to balance 10 players, one thing I saw quite often on the Mafia Universe forum is a 7 VT, 1 Town Vigilante, 2 scum setup. 3 scum would be way too much but the Vigilante usually helps to keep Town population down. Or you could try having an independent in the game, probably a Survivor.
For 11 players you will need 3 scum and 8 townies with some townie power-roles and maybe a Mafia role-blocker.

One thing to note: you should not include a full doctor along with a full cop without scum having a way to break up the 'Follow the Cop' combo, where D1 Cop claims, gets protected by Doctor each night and is therefore guaranteed to receive good results. Of course this can be extended to other such power-roles as well in conjunction with Doctor.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:43 pm UTC

That's a perfect post, pretty much, thank you.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:55 pm UTC

Impromptu mafia
Spoiler:
Looks like I hadn't even needed to claim. I had been a little worries about making it online in time for the deadline. I was rather hoping a third person would have votes me so I could hurry and hammer myself, but in the end it needn't matter. It would be great fun if because of my mafia role, that apparently not even make the game, caused people to believe there were 2 mafia teams haha. I really was not expecting to win going I to D2.
@Madge the D choice that you went with from Deva is how I interpreted jimbob's role. And the random result he gets? Awesome!
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

We'll win, but not everyone will get out

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

kalira

Postby kalira » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:59 pm UTC

Impromptu Mafia (@heury):

Spoiler:
Gotta give you honest congrats. I feel like it's fairly rare here to win as jester, and you managed to do it in a game where people reasonably believed there was one! I feel like your false claim is going to be working on some folks' brains "tonight" as well, so chaos for the win! :D

I'm finally getting a little breathing room at work and home (maybe), so looking forward to possibly taking part in some games again. Will try to remain pure on MMMII so I can sub in if needed (or I can help with modding if you're still having troubles on that front, Dj). *pokes the sleeping mummy*

Just out of curiosity, I know we've used some alt accounts in games before (DS9 comes to mind, I believe?) -- does anyone know if we still have the passwords for any of those, or are they all basically out of commission at this point? This is more idle curiosity than a purposeful need to know.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:34 pm UTC

The only alt I am aware of where the password is known among a few handful is Mindy.

Impromptu Mafia
@Kalira
Spoiler:
Really I just got really lucky with Lawrencelot investigating me and being told I used a night action. Without that piece of luck, I am sure I wouldn't have won, but thanks! I do kind of wish I had claimed earlier just to see what sort of reaction/confusion I might have created with my fake role.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:09 pm UTC

kalira wrote:I'm finally getting a little breathing room at work and home (maybe), so looking forward to possibly taking part in some games again. Will try to remain pure on MMMII so I can sub in if needed (or I can help with modding if you're still having troubles on that front, Dj). *pokes the sleeping mummy*

Just out of curiosity, I know we've used some alt accounts in games before (DS9 comes to mind, I believe?) -- does anyone know if we still have the passwords for any of those, or are they all basically out of commission at this point? This is more idle curiosity than a purposeful need to know.
It looks like SirG's pulled out of MMMII, so maybe you can take his spot? I'm guessing DJ would rather not need to rebalance things, so it might be helpful if you do, and just use SirG's costume or something.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:01 pm UTC

@kalira: yes, please join the game if you can.

Luther Sloan

Postby Luther Sloan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:37 pm UTC

Still got this one's password

kalira

Postby kalira » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:47 pm UTC

@jimbob, Sabrar
I sent off a PM to Dje letting him know I'm available to take the slot if it works out easier for him.

Luther Sloan wrote:Still got this one's password

To whoever did that, lol.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:54 pm UTC

The MM game has no limit for the number of players. I say the more the merrier! (And hopefully not making dje upset if re balancing is needed)
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Dr Douglas Fargo

Postby Dr Douglas Fargo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:33 pm UTC

Well hello everyone.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:49 pm UTC

kalira wrote:Impromptu Mafia (@heury):

Spoiler:
Gotta give you honest congrats. I feel like it's fairly rare here to win as jester, and you managed to do it in a game where people reasonably believed there was one! I feel like your false claim is going to be working on some folks' brains "tonight" as well, so chaos for the win! :D

I'm finally getting a little breathing room at work and home (maybe), so looking forward to possibly taking part in some games again. Will try to remain pure on MMMII so I can sub in if needed (or I can help with modding if you're still having troubles on that front, Dj). *pokes the sleeping mummy*

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=87547&sk=a&start=240#p3122260

DS Nine alts, provided no one has changed the passwords. I didn't check
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:55 pm UTC

might also have the Eureka ones.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:54 am UTC

Impromptu Mafia

Spoiler:
So, moody gave mpolo a gun, as though mpolo didn't have enough going his way! I don't see things lasting another day, and I don't see a way town can win this. I feel obliged to continue because mafia only controls half the vote and Lawrencelot still needs to see if he wins, though it looks like that's unavoidable.

We are now left with 3 town: matt, moody, jimbob, none of whom are bulletproof

We are left with two mafia: mpolo and sirG, who have two kills and three votes between them(!!!)

We are left with Lawrencelot, who needs moody and jimbob dead in order to win.

Basically, town only wins if they lynch mpolo or lawrencelot, and I can't see how they get enough votes to do that. Overnight two townies die and that's game over.

EDIT: I suppose even if town is doomed, I have to play until Lawrencelot wins or loses.
Last edited by Madge on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:37 am UTC

Also, welcome back Roband!!!

Impromptu Mafia@Roband

Spoiler:
Too bad you weren't here earlier, there could have been 3 serial killers in the impromptu game, you would have fit right in!

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:24 am UTC

Madge wrote:Impromptu Mafia

Spoiler:
Basically, town only wins if they lynch mpolo or lawrencelot, and I can't see how they get enough votes to do that. Overnight two townies die and that's game over.

Spoiler:
Completely agree, town has no chance. I may be biased a lot here but I think vote-buy in the hands of scum is completely broken with only 8 players in the game and probably should not have been allowed.

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:32 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
Madge wrote:Impromptu Mafia

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Completely agree, town has no chance. I may be biased a lot here but I think vote-buy in the hands of scum is completely broken with only 8 players in the game and probably should not have been allowed.

Impromptu Mafia

Spoiler:
Probably, but I have never modded before so didn't want to try and balance anything. I knew when the role came in that it was a bit extreme. The thing is, if Lawrencelot was town, he would have said "i'm a lover, and it sounds like my lover is a scary SK, so please lynch me and we've gotten rid of a big threat". It was unlucky that it didn't turn out that way.

That said if matt got the role back then yeah, it would have been interesting.

I have had a lot of fun modding this even if it's shown me exactly how unprepared I was, I kind of want to do a second one right away but I might settle for secret santa.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:45 pm UTC

Impromptu Mafia:
Spoiler:
For those watching and interesting, here's my case analysis. I cannot see any reason not to lynch mpolo based on this, assuming matt and mpolo mutually confirm.

Point 1. Assuming that matt claims and is backed up by mpolo, we have a nice little chain of backed up claims - Lawrencelot has claimed mpolo's role who has claimed matt's. Furthermore, mpolo received a gun from moody, so mpolo effectively verifies moody's role. There is no evidence linking SirG to anyone beyond my claimed result. There is no evidence that I am linked to anyone. Analysis of possible teams:

Assume moody is the SK. If moody is the SK, mpolo is lying about receiving the gun (because moody would not have that ability). So mpolo would have to be the lover of moody the SK.
Assume mpolo is the SK. That means Lawrencelot is lying about mpolo's role and is his lover.
Assume Lawrencelot is the SK. That means mpolo must be the team-mate, as otherwise Lawrencelot could not know mpolo's role.
Assume matt is SK. Assuming mpolo confirms whatever matt claims, mpolo must be matt's lover.
Assume SirGabriel is the SK. Either he didn't use an action N1, or I am his lover.
Assume I am the SK. Somebody is my lover, and I don't think there's any way of limiting this down.

That means that of the six remaining players, only one SK/lover team is possible that does not involve mpolo - me and SirG. From my point of view, and it should be from SirG's, lynching mpolo takes out the SK, whoever it is. If anybody sees any logic failures there, please clearly indicate them. The only question in everybody else's minds should be whether SirG and I are the SK/lover pair.

As noted by another player (can't remember who), the SK with vote buy and lover support is a 3 vote block with a kill and controls the vote after one more death. Assuming there is no more than 1 mafia member, then any potential mafia cop is only a 1 vote block with a kill, so dealing with the SK is a priority. If the game continues, then we should look for the mafia (I know that the mafia would say this as well, but I hope everybody else sees the logic either way).
BlitzGirl the Primordial

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:16 pm UTC

Impromptu Mafia:
Spoiler:
That's what happens when you have a Sunday evening with very little to do... I really should try to figure out how to condense those posts down, as I suspect most people will basically skip over it. The problem is that there are some important conclusions in there, I reckon. If anybody has any advice on how to reduce such walls of text sensibly, please let me know!

I am super-paranoid about an mpolo/someone-other-than-SirG SK partnership, because lynching anybody other than one of the SK or lover (if the latter supports the former, and actually exists) all but loses the game for town, I think.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:37 pm UTC

Impromptu Mafia (@jimbob, safe to read):
Spoiler:
Put your conclusions in a separate post where you stick to very short sentences, e.g. if X is scum -> Y lied about knowing his role.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:46 pm UTC

Thanks Sabrar.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:35 am UTC

MMM

Spoiler:
oh me yarm it is starting. for realsies!!! I am so excited. Thankyou DJ for coming through. I love it.

Though I have realised that my brock costume is... anachronistic in 1988. Or I'm just prescient. Who cares. It'll be fun.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:43 am UTC

Impromptu Mafia (including a modding-related question)

Spoiler:
Oh I hope so hard this day ends on a tie.

This whole thing has made me realise how much power a mod actually has. For example, I could theoretically not post in the thread to declare day end until the tie is broken, give it another day or so for mpolo to submit his day vote, whatever. So I have had to pre-commit that if I'm online ~on a PC~ and have time to check the thread, I should declare nightfall, process actions, etc as needed.

I am actually quite surprised though, town theoretically has an infinitesimal chance of winning because mpolo hasn't stolen a vote and it's apparently bedtime for him now.

If the coins are with town, SirG will end up lynched and Jim will be saved. Can they still win? Mpolo has two kills and two votes.

1. matt96 - town
5. mpolo - scum
6. Lawrencelot - 3rd
7. moody7277 - town
8. jimbobmacdoodle - town

mpolo kills say matt and moody.

5. mpolo - scum
6. Lawrencelot - 3rd
8. jimbobmacdoodle - town

3 players, 4 votes, mpolo has 2/4. In this case, Lawrencelot still hasn't won. Logical!Lawrencelot will post saying "hey mpolo, once we lynch jimbob I win", and he wins.

QUESTION: In this case, where the endgame is two lovers vs someone one of the lovers needs to kill in order to win, I should just process this as endgame, right? Mpolo or lawrencelot voting for the other is ridiculous and against their wincons, so jimbob's lynch is really a foregone conclusion and I should just start D4 declaring that mpolo and lawrencelot are both winners.

Bonus: because of my weird way of handling ties, if a townie votes mpolo now and the three way tie endures, very lucky town can kill both mafia members and the 3rd party and win at the end of today.

Deva

Postby Deva » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:28 am UTC

Impromptu Mafia
Spoiler:
Nods. Recommends specifying night action orders beforehand for similar reasons. Prevents bias in unforeseen power interactions. (Applies more to games with redirection powers.)

Question: Yes.

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:47 am UTC

Impromptu

Spoiler:
Thanks Deva. I am forever in your debt!

Also, I did put power resolution order in, and I found all sorts of power resolution things on mafiascum that were really interesting.

My power resolution order:

1. Mpolo's roleblock
2. Jimbob's tracker
3. Lawrencelot's submission cop
4. Moody's gunsmith
5. Sabrar's poison kill
5. mpolo's kill

Just realise gunsmith kills aren't in there, but they'd be at 5, all kills being simultaneous.

EDIT: more impromptu

Spoiler:
OK, matt's role was a kind of random-seeming one dreamed up by mpolo that I didn't really pay much attention to as the abilities all seemed vaguely useful but also vaguely useless.

I think matt is toying with the idea of using his "make two random lovers" power, which could potentially result in a town win. I think. I should look at the probabilities.

Living players:
1. matt96 - town
5. mpolo - scum
6. Lawrencelot - 3rd
7. moody7277 - town

OK, if matt uses his lover power, and mpolo kills twice, we end up with an endgame:

5. mpolo - scum
6. Lawrencelot - 3rd

.... oh, of mpolo and Lawrencelot. Mpolo isn't going to target himself, and he's not going to target his lover, so his two kills have only one place to go. I really should have declared game, shouldn't I have? Is it too late for me to do it now or is it better for me to let everyone submit their night actions?

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:42 pm UTC

MMMII
Spoiler:
My roleplaying has nothing whatsoever to do with my role, for those watching/reading at home. Just more fun this way.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:41 am UTC

MMMII

Spoiler:
Oh, my stereotype is the horny virgin, though in an attempt to make it high school appropriate I decided I was horny for my first kiss.

I'm vanilla town and I submit the name of someone to kiss each night. If they agree to kiss me I am able to win with town.

I suspect that there's someone out there who can kiss me for evil and/or I will end up with a power or something that relates to the person I end up kissing.

I decided to try kissing Sabrar first because Sabrar is very clever. My next kiss target will be mpolo for the same reasons.

Impromptu
Spoiler:
I feel really bad, matt is coming up with some great ways to win using his power but it's not going to work because he's targeted with the NK.

I have time so I'm going to pre-write the endgame flavour.

What's my inspiration..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_%C ... l_Brindisi an Argentinian soccer player/manager. Yay?

Night results: matt does something that probably ends up pointless (but will still happen so write it in!!!) and Lawrencelot gets the cop results for mpolo.
Last edited by Madge on Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:17 am UTC

Impromptu
Spoiler:
I'm doing something stupid, will almost certainly backfire spectacularly, just got to stay up to quick hammer if I live and someone dies tonight.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:05 pm UTC

MMMII
Spoiler:
I am Town, Watcher/Tracker. I need to survive until D2 at least though, should I die before that I automatically lose even if Town is victorious later. There is a non-negligible chance that someone is a Lyncher for me, possibly Carlington? We'll see.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:17 pm UTC

MMMII:

Spoiler:
Just so you know, Suzaku actually had no hand in creating your role (Suzaku is the comod gone AWOL, actually. No idea what happened to him). Bessie decided your powers. I decided that you had to survive, because it fit your role and I felt I needed to mess with the players a bit more.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:30 pm UTC

MMMII, @Djehutynakht:
Spoiler:
Remember to add Sabrar's name outside the spoiler, otherwise he won't know your latest post is meant for him.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:18 pm UTC

MMMII

Spoiler:
And that most recent post was specifically to shoehorn in an oblique reference to me being "AV Nerd".
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Return to “Mafia”