The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Madge

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby Madge » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:17 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
dimochka wrote: plus Madge is doing great on her own; I'm there just as a lowly errands boy

*blushes profusely*

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:the piece of turkey I was given was coated in cocaine, which for some reason gave me a one shot cop ability for use tonight

Come on!!!! I wanted a piece of turkey to give a cop power, and I looked up Sherlock Holmes and apparently he was on cocaine, so I figured why the heck not?

Plus it's a bit funny... :lol:
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:18 am UTC

A possible replacement is sought for Secret Santa mafia (in ~48 hours' time). Please PM me if you can do it.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:20 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
Now why did they kill moody? I have to assume it was the mafia kill that got him but they didn't even give me a chance to pretend moody might be scum. :evil:
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:27 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
This is the first time in 6 games that I survive at least until D3 as Town (deliberately not counting Pen Pal). I can't believe it finally happened. :D

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:49 am UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
I was gonna say mafia got lucky but... the super-tracker used their super-tracker power and the RNG said it was a success (at 40% probability!!). So.... Carlington was spotted killing Moody.

Why did mafia get lucky? DJ submitted his caroler target, and unfortunately for Carlington his name was in the list of 3 that I'd pre-generated. I was freaking out for him, the poor guy! But his first target was GoP, who can't receive results twice in a row; his second target was Kalira, who was, um, deadsies, and finally he targeted Bessie.... who had hid, thus dooming town not to get the results.

Carlington has an "investigate the dead" type power, which he'll hopefully be able to use as a good bluff - matt, who submitted it, is still alive, so even though he hopefully won't be breaking the rules and hinting that he submitted the role, he might defend Carlington. He's an independant though so who knows.....

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:08 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
I submitted the Caroler role that gave moody the result. It did not contain any bastardry and I would be surprised if Madge added it on her own as in my opinion it would go against the nature of the game. Therefore adnapemit has to be scum fmpov and GoP looks awfully suspicious trying to protect her. But then GoP needs to be Godfather, or jimbob is lying about his result which would mean 5 scum? Could there still be a redirector in play after 2 have died? Is there a 4th roleblocker?
I jailed SDK last night and I would like to think that this was the reason for the lack of a 2nd kill. Interested to see what adnapemit will claim.

Edit: it is entirely possible that my Watcher-ability is naive and never gives me any result, either by design or due to balancing reasons. Madge forgot to send it to me this morning and I had to remind her. Should I read anything into it? Probably not...

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:17 am UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
I feel like bessie is dangerous. She does seem to have me fingered as scum, so I want to knock her over before she sways too many heads. With that said, I feel like she controls a kill - so for better or worse, having her around for longer benefits me by killing more players. In effect, I'm SK as well at this point :lol:
Killing moody might not have been the best play, I was actually tossing up using my other power (I can see who targeted one player who died last night or see who targets a player I think will die tonight). Still, the wine value might have made it worthwhile on balance? Playing scum is hard, so much to second-guess.
I better work out a false-claim too, just in case. I was given a few safe-claims, my current idea is to claim drop-bear, being a vig. I'll have to decide based on context whether it's better to claim one-shot or many. If bessie dies early enough/flips appropriately, it could be worth claiming responsibility for kalira's death, but that might be too convenient. I could try claiming one-shot and not being confident to use it early (I have meta I can reference about being burned by this before) and I could offer to let town democratically control my power use. Worth a thought, might buy me an extra day. Probably going to look suss if I survive, though.
I guess adnapemit is probably a safe lynch to look at today, and then it's going to be winging it. I'll keep jimbob and GoP alive, as there's probably some extra lynching potential there in sorting out the claimed cop result. It might be worth planting the idea of some sort of sanity bastardry? Maybe we lynch adnap today, we NK bessie and matt/DJ/replacements in some order the next two nights.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:08 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Couple of things before my spoiler binge:

I guess me being tight lipped about my role made me into a juicy target for scum. Also, it seems that no one submitted a doctor type role, or they decided not to cover me. Anyway, hopefully more useful roles got a free day to do their stuff, and we definitely know that timepanda is scum now.

Finally, from my snap judgement post, I think it's more likely than otherwise that SDK is town.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:49 pm UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
And suddenly I'm very suspicious of SDK. He says that it's important to know if someone received a turkey, indicating that he is the gift-giver. But he would only ask this if he knew he was role-blocked, which given the possible lack of scum-kill could be the case. But that would mean he gave jimbob the Cop-gift, so jimbob would have received a true result? Assuming of course adnapemit and SDK are the last two scums. Unless GoP is SK and Cop-result is misleading or naive. Too many possibilities...

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:27 pm UTC

The small town of Tristram has been ravaged by monsters and demons. They are emerging from the labyrinth beneath the old cathedral. As rumors of the town's plight spread, adventurers come to Tristram. Leading them is the eldest son of King Leoric, Prince Aidan. Joining him is a rogue from the Sisterhood of the Sightless Eye and a Vizjerei sorcerer from the lands of Kehjistan, along with other warriors. They have come to investigate the demonic disturance, slay the monsers, and pilfer the labyrinth's many fortunes. They are unaware that the events here affect not only Tristram but also the whole course of history in the world of Sanctuary and beyond.

Is there any interest in a Diablo-inspired mafia game? I'm thinking closed, standard-ish game. Will put into sign-ups if I have a few people who think that it's a good idea. Knowing flavor is not a must.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:04 pm UTC

Ah, memories. I used to play those games back in the day. Good times.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:11 pm UTC

As usual, eager to play in any game.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:05 pm UTC

SDK wrote:Ah, memories. I used to play those games back in the day. Good times.

Is that a yes? :D

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:46 pm UTC

I'm planning on taking it easy in January due to finally attempting to write my paranormal romance novel (yes, really), so while I would really love to play, I would sign on as a replacement instead.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:48 pm UTC

I'm up for some Diablo-inspired antics.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:51 pm UTC

I was kind of hoping to run Wheel of Time 2 at some point in January, if there's enough interest. I should be able to mod one game and play another at the same time though, so I'm up for it (but is there enough people around for two games at once?).
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:56 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I was kind of hoping to run Wheel of Time 2 at some point in January, if there's enough interest. I should be able to mod one game and play another at the same time though, so I'm up for it (but is there enough people around for two games at once?).

Your game gets priority since you were on that list before me. Maybe start sign-ups nowish, and see who signs up? You can always declare a start date of mid Jan if you prefer.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:59 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
Having troubles accepting GoP-s claim as that is way too overpowered a role to submit, especially where you have no idea that so many roleblockers/redirectors would be in the game. However if he has correct info for most of us then I guess it must be true? It's a crazy thing to false-claim that's for sure...

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:03 am UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
That's...pretty conclusive, then. I can't think of any way I can stretch my luck beyond the end of tomorrow, even supposing I'm not lynched today. Given GoP had that power, though, we mafia were finished from the start. (unless I'd killed him last night, but I can't fault myself not knowing that this would happen)

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:05 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:
SDK wrote:Ah, memories. I used to play those games back in the day. Good times.

Is that a yes? :D

That's a "probably". I'm game, but it depends how busy I am at the time.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:26 am UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
Holy wowzers, it's a Christmas miracle! Please, please, keep the conflicting and confusing claims coming. Thus shall I be but smoke in their mirrors; go now, stand by yourselves, for I am scummier than thou!

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:26 am UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Fun fact: I don't know the difference between a watcher and a tracker, and have been giving the watcher TRACKER results on their night target.

So.... I told the watcher that I've been treating them as a tracker and gave them my apologies, and if he wants me to confirm in-thread I guess I'll do it.

I've also told the watcher they can either be a tracker the rest of the game (consistent with the role they've had) or they can be a watcher the rest of the game (consistent with the role they were given) by way of apology.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:38 am UTC

Secret Santa 2016:
Spoiler:
I am so thoroughly confused by all the interacting claims, especially after mpolo's latest claim and the lack of info from anyone.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:10 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Spoiler:
Now I'm beginning to regret being so cagey D2 about all the things, because SirG explicitly told me about switching actions between me and GoP. I was figuring that having a scum investigation needed to be put out there, but my full power would be one that scum would want dead. Turns out I was killed by scum anyway. :roll:
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:12 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
If both scum withheld their kill, and I unknowingly triggered Carlington's kill, I'm going to eat my hat!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:11 am UTC

Secret Santa 2016

Spoiler:
I’m sorry Gojoe thread for neglecting you so far this game. I am town, commuter/PGO. I am trying to figure out how to get targeted by scum but not by town, because I would kill them all.

I should have posted here yesterday, for all you spectators, but I was having my usual D2 melancholy. I like playing mafia but I have difficulty actually killing someone (lynch, NK, or anything that removes them from the game). The actual “killing” has always been a bit uncomfortable for me, and I’m pleased to see that Madge chose other methods to eliminate characters in the flavor without resorting to death. But I also hate kicking someone out of the game, because, well, we all sign up because we want to play, right? Anyway, I make enough Gojoe posts about this that I’m surprised no one has used it against me yet. They’re either too kind or don’t read my posts.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:57 pm UTC

Secret Santa:
Spoiler:
Based on the site Madge linked to I'm assuming that my roleblock occurs after all other roleblocks, therefore I'm trying to use it for protection tonight, on jimbob.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:42 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
R. I. P. Me, I'm going to redirect adnapemit to myself tonight to protect confirmed townies bessie and GoP, which should get me killed, putting the final nail in her coffin upon my flip (additionally confirming the 9-3-1-1 set up). If everything goes well, this game should end with the Day 4 Lynch, importantly with GoP still alive, earning me my win as well.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:58 am UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
I am probably walking into a trap targeting matt tonight....but oh well. But I am also using my other ability tonight on jimbob which might be interesting if I survive the night.

I also think it's interesting that my immunity claim was taken to be 1 shot. I could use it again but It doesn't seem to be worth the lack of kill.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

matt96

Postby matt96 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:22 pm UTC

Secret Santa

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:05 pm UTC

Secret Santa
Spoiler:
It looks like I will survive until the end. :D
SDK has given me a turkey which made me Bulletproof against a single NK.
Now I just need to draw the kill to me...

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:13 am UTC

Wheel of Time 2 is now in sign-ups for a mid-January start (I'm hoping 2nd week of January, but it depends on how busy I am between now and then). As previously mentioned, it will be set around books 4-5, but flavour knowledge shouldn't be particularly required for the game.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:47 am UTC

I like how you signed me up as a replacement without me having to go to the effort of editing the post myself. A+ would be signed on as a replacement again.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:32 pm UTC

Zombie players should be called replaycements
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:20 pm UTC

Madge wrote:I like how you signed me up as a replacement without me having to go to the effort of editing the post myself. A+ would be signed on as a replacement again.
Sorry, I copied the previous Wheel of Time sign-ups, but forgot to delete the replacement list. I fixed it when I realised, but if you want to be, I'll put you back!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:36 pm UTC

Anybody else interested in Wheel of Time 2? I'd really like 3 more people, if at all possible.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:49 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Anybody else interested in Wheel of Time 2? I'd really like 3 more people, if at all possible.

Come on, I promise I won't kill you with my invincible multishot vig on N1.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:00 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Anybody else interested in Wheel of Time 2? I'd really like 3 more people, if at all possible.

Come on, I promise I won't kill you with my invincible multishot vig on N1.
Dang, good guess. *rewrites dimochka's role*.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:03 am UTC

as long as we get one more person to join, and madge either (1) gets a role that gives her some kind of insight / conversation before n1, or (2) is kept alive at least till end of d1, we should be ok!

bessie

Postby bessie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:39 am UTC

I think Madge said she was going to be busy this month, so we still need two more players for Wheel of Time 2.

If there are any newbies who would like to play, you should sign up! jimbobmacdoodle is very good at writing flavor, and this is being advertised as a power-role heavy so it will be a lot of fun. And don't worry if you haven't read the books. My flavor knowledge will be limited to whatever is on Wikipedia, so you can't screw anything up worse than me. I let Padan Fain loose in the last game because hey, I didn't know he was the baddest bad guy.

Return to “Mafia”