The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

jimbobmacdoodle

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:03 pm UTC

Thanks for signing up everyone. There is space for more players if you wish. I will close sign-ups some time in the next 48 hours and should be able to start the game by the end of the week (probably Friday or Saturday).
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:18 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Thanks for signing up everyone. There is space for more players if you wish. I will close sign-ups some time in the next 48 hours and should be able to start the game by the end of the week (probably Friday or Saturday).

Perfect, and I'll open sign-ups for Diablo in about a month, when we're (hopefully) nearing completion of this game.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:22 am UTC

I'm glad WoT2 is starting up!!

I was beginning to feel guilty for not signing up. It looks like fun, I had fun last game, so I hope you all have fun in my honour!!!!

I'm also looking forward to Diablo!!

"You have quite a treasure there in that horadric cube"
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

kalira

Postby kalira » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:48 pm UTC

WoT2:
Spoiler:
Boy howdy, has my PM box asploded in this pregame. Lol.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:47 pm UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
funny how I joked about being a vig before the game started... and now I'm a vig (one shot, but still!)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:28 pm UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
I think I'm scum. I only know the leader of my team but not the third person, we can't chat privately and though we have a kill we are unable to use it for now. This is probably the weirdest setup I've ever played in, hopefully D1 flavor will clarify things a bit. Will be interesting trying to coordinate without having chat.

SDK

Postby SDK » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:32 pm UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
For anyone following along at home, Sabrar's right. This setup is weird! He's also right that he's scum, but that's not extremely obvious despite his team having by far the most information out of any faction this game.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:14 am UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
I'm an Aes Sedai of the White Ajah. My job is to put Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan on the Amyrlin Seat. It's the only logical choice. After all, we can't have Wilder Novices running around mucking up the work of full Aes Sedai. I can detect weaves if they have been used on a target the previous night.Tar Valon must not fall to the Shadow because of weak leadership.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:36 am UTC

This is off topic, but whenever a new game starts and the accompanying rapid-fire wall of spoiler posts in Gojoe happen, I always picture that thing in anime where the screen is sequentially divided into five or six segments, each of which is showing the shocked reaction of a character in the scene.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:34 am UTC

Changes its form depending on the observer.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:20 am UTC

...i think I'm in love.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:52 pm UTC

WoT2

Spoiler:
A few points to start with.

-I think I mixed this series up with Discworld in my recollection of the setup.
-Looked up my role's name in the WoT wiki, and no results. I'm not sure what to make of that, whether jimbob remembered the name wrong or it's someone he made up.
-The group I'm with is the Blue Ajah, with GoP. Wiki seems to indicate we're good guys. PM also indicates there's a Black Ajah, which I'm going to assume is the mafia faction.
-Power I have looks to be equivalent to a doctor, I can give protection against other One Power abilities or other abilities. Not sure which category the mafia kill would fall under, but other "town" power roles may also be One Power, so maybe more of a jailer?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:35 pm UTC

kalira wrote:WoT2:
Spoiler:

Hi kalira, I read this by mistake. Normally if I read a spoiler I would duck out, but this doesn't really say anything about the game so I will leave it up to you if you want to replace me or not.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:44 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:
Spoiler:

Hi kalira, I read this by mistake. Normally if I read a spoiler I would duck out, but this doesn't really say anything about the game so I will leave it up to you if you want to replace me or not.
That's okay Diemo. Just be a bit more careful next time!
BlitzGirl the Primordial

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:04 pm UTC

Madge wrote:I'm glad WoT2 is starting up!!

I was beginning to feel guilty for not signing up. It looks like fun, I had fun last game, so I hope you all have fun in my honour!!!!

Question - partially for Madge but open to anyone - when I run Diablo, do you want a standard mafia game? Or do you want something that involves some items, day/night actions, maybe even (somewhat limited but still) HP? I'd be happy to do either. Also I plan to only focus on Diablo 1 (though maybe some elements of Hellfire) so as to leave more canon for future games.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:59 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
Diemo wrote:
Spoiler:

That's okay Diemo. Just be a bit more careful next time!

Yeah sorry, it has been so long since I was actually in a game that I just clicked on the new post without checking :oops:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:49 am UTC

dimochka wrote:

Question - partially for Madge but open to anyone - when I run Diablo, do you want a standard mafia game? Or do you want something that involves some items, day/night actions, maybe even (somewhat limited but still) HP? I'd be happy to do either. Also I plan to only focus on Diablo 1 (though maybe some elements of Hellfire) so as to leave more canon for future games.

I'm happy for either to be honest! I am sure I'll have fun regardless.

I'm not familiar with Diablo 1, unfortunately, beyond watching my Dad play it when I was probably about 8 or 9 years old. I played through D2 once or twice in high school though! Now I want to see if D1 is on GOG or anything and I can get it working on kubuntu....
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:24 am UTC

Madge wrote:
dimochka wrote:

I'm happy for either to be honest! I am sure I'll have fun regardless.

I'm not familiar with Diablo 1, unfortunately, beyond watching my Dad play it when I was probably about 8 or 9 years old. I played through D2 once or twice in high school though! Now I want to see if D1 is on GOG or anything and I can get it working on kubuntu....

Being a blizzard game, you'd be lucky to find it anywhere but the Blizzard store, or retail outlets.

I wouldn't mind either. I'm sorta in the mood for a more vanilla game, but complication is not going to stop me from signing up! Especially with Diablo flavour.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Madge

Postby Madge » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:48 am UTC

Yeah my little foray showed that being a game from 1996 it is hard to find even by blizzard standards. I think it might be available illegally, but if that's the case it's not going to be easy to get working on kubuntu, so I'm going to stick to pokemonshowdown and some dcss.

ahippo

Postby ahippo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:46 am UTC

Hilariously, the original Diablo is abandonware while Blackthorne, The Lost Vikings, and Rock N' Roll Racing are all available for free through the Battle.net client downloader. You can download Diablo here. Blizzard isn't missing out on any money, so no harm done.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:10 am UTC

dimochka wrote:Question - partially for Madge but open to anyone - when I run Diablo, do you want a standard mafia game? Or do you want something that involves some items, day/night actions, maybe even (somewhat limited but still) HP?
Would prefer a standard game slightly more but either is fine with me.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:30 pm UTC

Vanilla-ish works. We can always try for something more complex in a subsequent game.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:57 pm UTC

If there are going to be items, having the ability to dupe them is required. :D

I still may or may not play, but I'll throw my hat in for standard alignments with complex roles (if that makes sense).

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:13 pm UTC

Wheel of Time 2:
Spoiler:
Let the madness commence! If anybody's interested in my full setup and role PMs etc, they can go to this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw5WS2X8VxhoZFNmSk1FdFNzbTg. For now, I'm not going to post any more info here. But maybe later...
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:54 am UTC

ahippo wrote:Hilariously, the original Diablo is abandonware while Blackthorne, The Lost Vikings, and Rock N' Roll Racing are all available for free through the Battle.net client downloader. You can download Diablo here. Blizzard isn't missing out on any money, so no harm done.

Great, and it looks like it doesn't work too badly with WINE. I guess that's my what I'm doing tomorrow night.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:54 am UTC

Wheel of Time 2 -
Spoiler:
So, having read up a little bit about WOT, I do not have high hopes for me this game.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

kalira

Postby kalira » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:17 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Image

While I believe it would be fairly difficult to "win" a thread as long as this one, Deva has certainly made some very steep inroads to victory with this post. Especially love the dropped jaws even on cartoon characters. <3

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:26 am UTC

WoT2:

Spoiler:
So, here's something fun: I am the leader of the black Ajah. Now, the real kicker is that this is the first time I've ever started the game as scum (I was recruited by a cult late-ish in Dr. Who) ... and my faction has no chat abilities. So I can't rely on my vastly more experienced scummates for advice. Ah well, let the Lord of Chaos rule!

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:33 am UTC

I agree Kalira, only now I wish I was playing because I'd love to see a shocked micrograph.

Of course now I've taken the liberty of spending 10,000 hours in MS paint to do it myself (see spoiler below).

Spoiler:

matt96

Postby matt96 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:47 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:

Why bother with HP when you can just use mana shield?

kalira

Postby kalira » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:17 pm UTC

Madge wrote:I agree Kalira, only now I wish I was playing because I'd love to see a shocked micrograph.

I, er... I thought your avatar was some form of (admittedly abstract) cave painting.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:23 pm UTC

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:38 am UTC

When I signed up I'd just been to a lecture in my materials unit that showed agrey cast iron micrograph, and I thought it was pretty, so when I needed an avatar I decided it was good as any. I always felt I should change it but never really had a good idea of what to, so now it's stayed. I wanted to see how long until someone commented on what it was, but then I realised avatars aren't really guessing games, and a materials expert might have just thought to herself, "hm, that Madge must have a thing for grey cast iron" and not thought it worth commenting on.

This is what I used about 15 years ago (....god) on another forum (which has stuck around a while) as my avatar and signature, for a look at what else might have been.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:26 pm UTC

WoT2
Spoiler:
They say confession is good for the soul, so this is me writing out my frustration about the lack of activity. Usually I don't vote this early and they might pick up on this (though I doubt anyone would take the time to look through my previous games), but I think it is better to be early on the wagon than having to decide later. Plus maybe I can use some reverse psychology later.

PS: I would really like if our leader would somehow indicate to me the third person in our scum-team (and I'm hoping it's not Diemo).

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:12 pm UTC

Madge wrote:a materials expert might have just thought to herself, "hm, that Madge must have a thing for grey cast iron" and not thought it worth commenting on.

Hello. :D

Though I knew it was a micrograph, I actually thought it was showing dislocations in a thin film. Something like this. I'm used to cementite showing a bit more clearly in a high carbon material - more like this:
Spoiler:

It is beautiful.

I should have asked though. So... now that we're here, what's a traffic control expert have to do with metallurgy?
Spoiler:
Sounds like the setup to a joke...

kalira

Postby kalira » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:40 pm UTC

WoT2 (don't read me, Diemo :P ):

Spoiler:
Fun fact: due to the relatively large number of people playing, combined with my having a lot more PMs than I'm used to (including role PMs, 65 since game start), I have literally no recollection of who is who or with which faction. I'm pretty much reading the game as an outsider aside from knowing the setup.

Jimbob, please don't read the above as any kind of denigration or anything -- it is meant to say nothing about how the game is being handled, just my brain's slightly ADD response to all the PMing :)

Given that, it may be a good thing there isn't any player discussion in PMs this game, lol.

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:42 pm UTC

SDK wrote:[So... now that we're here, what's a traffic control expert have to do with metallurgy?

A civil engineering degree, of course! It was a first year unit, so the micrograph was all I saw of grey cast iron, and I've forgotten it all now, except that I think tempered steel had these beautiful feather-shaped shapes in it?

I also did a first year unit on electric circuits and stuff.

Fun fact: when they teach you kirchov's current law and voltage law, they tell you "think of the current going through a circuit as like water". When they teach you about water going through pipes, they tell you to think back to your electrical engineering, and basically "the water is like electricity going through circuits". Different items that can go in a system of pipes actually have analogues to different items in circuits. Like I think pumps are diodes, or something? Anyway, I could not fucking believe that they teach you electricity by saying "think of water" and water by saying "think of electricity". THAT IS RECURSIVE GUYS.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:00 pm UTC

kalira wrote:WoT2 (don't read me, Diemo :P ):

Spoiler:
Fun fact: due to the relatively large number of people playing, combined with my having a lot more PMs than I'm used to (including role PMs, 65 since game start), I have literally no recollection of who is who or with which faction. I'm pretty much reading the game as an outsider aside from knowing the setup.

Jimbob, please don't read the above as any kind of denigration or anything -- it is meant to say nothing about how the game is being handled, just my brain's slightly ADD response to all the PMing :)

Given that, it may be a good thing there isn't any player discussion in PMs this game, lol.
Wheel of Time 2:
Spoiler:
Haha, I actually think I'm only in a marginally better situation because I had to write all the PMs myself! Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm already reaching the total number sent during the entire first game...

Also, if anybody mods a non-vanilla game without using some sort of spreadsheet or similar, I am in awe.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:53 am UTC

Wheel of Time 2

Spoiler:
Good evening Gojoe thread. I’m sorry for neglecting you, but I haven’t been happy with this game so far, and I didn’t want to post a rant. I’ve been pretty frustrated with jimbobmacdoodle, which I do recognize is probably largely my problem and unfair to him. But now I’m worried that I’m (unfairly, unjustly, and unknowingly) taking out my frustrations on my fellow players. So I’m using this thread as penance for my sins, and my humiliation will be for your amusement.

My frustration with this game originates with the role pms. My role pm doesn’t have a clear alignment or win condition (at least to me but I can be kinda dense, seriously, and I misinterpret something about my role in like every game). I’ve been asking for my win condition, but jimbob won’t provide that information. I just got advised to look for threats, and wait for the D1 flavor. Somehow, I’m not sure what logic led me there, but I decided I’m town or at least had the town win condition for now, and if there is a cult I don’t want to be recruited. So I posted some outrageous setup spec and went all aggro on dimochka. I really didn’t intend to let it go very far, I was just trying to get some discussion going because that’s how I play as town that doesn’t care about being lynched and doesn’t want to be recruited by cult. Afterwards, I find out that the other players received a pm informing them that there is a third party faction with a separate win condition. The win condition is the exact thing that I underlined and asked jimbob by pm if that was my win condition and didn’t get a straight answer. Well fuck me it looks like most of the other players knew my win condition when I don’t even know my alignment. It looks like I might be non-town after all. Not getting that second pm is what really set me off. So I think somewhere about this time I went from being aggressive-just-trying-to-be-fun to aggressive-batshit-crazy. I think that I finally realized that I may be coming on too strong when I was a half hour late for work this morning because I was typing up my rant against Sabrar. I’m not scum thinks I; he’s finding me scummy for stupid wrong reasons. Or are they the right reasons? I don’t fucking know because I still don’t know if I can win with town or not………… yeah, I finally saw it. Sabrar didn’t deserve that rant. But neither does jimbobmacdoodle. We players are so lucky to have these wonderful creative people to design and mod games for us. And it looks like jimbob came up with something different and special for this game, and I just need to be patient and see what fun he has in store for us. After all, I’m not the only one with this win condition (I think) and no one else seems to be going insane, so the difficulty is something I’ve created in my own mind.

I’m not quite sure how I’m going to remedy this in the game. I’ve got to quit attacking others because I’m frustrated. After all, my problems aren’t their fault. I think that any change in playstyle at this point in the game is going to be viewed as a scum tell, and they will probably lynch me. But that’s OK. I would rather be kicked out than be mean to others. I don’t want anyone to avoid signing up for a game because they see my name on the list and think well I don’t want to play with her, she’s a bitch (even though my avatar is a bitch :P ). Actually, this isn’t even the first game where I’ve had to apologize for my rudeness, so further proof that the problem is me?

Oh, and as a bonus, here’s some game related stuff. A couple wild-ass-guesses: mpolo and I have the same win condition. I do not have the same win condition as either SirGabriel or ahippo.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:06 am UTC

Wheel of Time 2:
Spoiler:
Don't keep reading if you don't want to know the setup just yet.

To address bessie's post above, I wanted to try something a bit different this game. Some people may have noticed that I have not used the word Town anywhere in this game so far. That's because I do not have a true Town faction. This is why I couldn't give further details to bessie about her win condition without revealing more about the setup.

There are basically 4 different factions in the game. Two cults representing the supporters of Siuan and Elaida, the Black Ajah, and unaligned neutrals. Bessie is the last of these, along with four other players. The neutrals can win with either cult, or by themselves if both cults are eliminated and so is the Black Ajah. The threats to stability are the Blacks and the struggle between the cults. The cults have the usual cult win condition, except that they don't need to eliminate the neutrals. The Black is a variant on standard mafia. They can win as normal by eliminating everyone else, or they can be recruited into the cults. If they form the majority of one cult and the other has been eliminated or is only made up of Blacks, then the Black Ajah wins.

Regarding the sending out of extra win conditions, I realised shortly after sending out vanilla PMs that the cults and Blacks needed the neutral win condition or else a PM gambit would be too easy. Unfortunately when I sent out this info, I a) phrased it badly and implied that every player received that PM, b) didn't make it clear that this was the default won condition, and c) failed to send it to any neutral player, plus one of the cult members. This led to two players thinking it was a good idea to reveal they'd received this extra info, which in turn marked them out as not sharing the default win condition and could have broken the whole game. Hopefully that will broadly have been avoided, but bessie at least has latched onto it. Clearly it is important to have vanilla win conditions in the setup rules...

And bessie, don't worry, I'm not offended. As you'll discover, I had my reasons to be vague.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Return to “Mafia”