The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

heuristically_alone

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:19 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Bin Chicken Mafia @Sabrar:
Spoiler:
Just posting this to make heuristically_alone even more nervous :twisted:

Haha you tool. All weekend I worried about choosing wrong because of this :twisted:
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:14 am UTC

Xmen Mafia:

Spoiler:
So many possibilities! Sabrar is going to have a field day. My mind boggles.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:21 am UTC

X-Men Mafia:
Spoiler:
Iceman here, Town. Setup can be horribly unbalanced, especially if we have SK and Cyclops is scum. Also cult is scary.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:20 am UTC

Xmen mafia
Spoiler:
I am Wolverine and I get a day chat! Also I am town. Iceman and Nightcrawler have the most scummy looking abilities. If not iceman then, jean grey had the next scummiest. The only thing is based on this set up i would assume one of jean grey, cyclops, or wolverine are mafia. I would have it as wolverine or cyclops personally (but my ability makes it apparent that i have to be town).
Very likely jean grey is mafia. Maybe i get jean grey to tell me who cyclops is and push for the idea that either me or cyclops has to be scum. Knowing who jean grey is, i believe as town they would recommend i don't rush into things and read carefully, but as scum they might think it easily to manipulate me and go along with the idea immediately.

Edit: actually it seems unfair if Jean grey is scum,
Because i would be the most obvious night kill veggie jubilee can save me. Unless the mod is aiming that jubilee could realize this and ideally save me n1. Maybe it is best to claim by end of d1. Guess I'll have to wait and see.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:37 pm UTC

X-men mafia (don't read if you don't want the setup spoiled)
Spoiler:
Setup: 6 town / 2 mafia / 1 survivor. The mafia is probably one of the strongest iterations - cyclops and jean. nightcrawler is the indie.
Roles not in game: Prof X, Magneto, Storm
Godfather/miller: neither is in game

Setup seems to favor scum, but honestly you never know. Too much is going on to tell. Jean's PGO really worries me, but I wrote it before alignment allocation, so it is what it is.

And this time around, everything was truly allocated randomly. I did not try to balance things at all, and all PMs were written before anything else (or, to be more specific, a draft of the PMs was written first, along with the powers. Then I determined all random variables, and then actually finalized the PM.) So Wolverine had just as much of a chance to be scum as anyone else. And the fact that Cyclops and Jean have regular chat AND have scum chat is a complete coincidence. And the fact that Jubilee is in the game is also by chance. Similarly I'm answering all questions regarding Storm as if she's in game, even though she's not.

Edit (more x-men stuff)
Spoiler:
Funny, somitomi is "shocked" about the setup when he's actually the only one who knows exactly what the setup is (only one option has a survivor)
Last edited by dimochka on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:07 pm UTC

X-Men:
Spoiler:
So, this is going to be a mess :twisted:

I'm playing as scum (Jean Grey) with Gopher (Cyclops). I also have night chat with heury (Wolverine), who is very likely town. So I have to keep track of the thread plus two separate chat threads. I suppose it could be worse... both Cyclops and Wolverine could have been town, and I could have been stuck with three different chats. Now all I need is professor X to offer to chat with me as well.

Going to have to be very cautious with heury in chat until we can get him lynched. It's going to be walking a fine line between pretending to be a supportive daychat townie and getting him to lynch the people we need him to. I also have to be SUPER careful not to accidentally mix up who the recipients are on my chats, especially since I'm going to try to BCC Gopher into all of my chats with heury.

I'm glad I've now played a town game, and especially a town game with heury. I don't think I'd have a chance at making this work otherwise.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:52 pm UTC

X-men
Spoiler:
I wish I could get a mentor on the phone, because I feel terribly helpless now that I have to rely on my own wit. Especially because 1) being the survivor seems difficult and 2) apparently I'm the only one in the game who knows the exact setup, both of which I'd like to discuss with someone. Oh and 3) there's still loads of possibilities regarding the alignment of roles and the presence of a Godfather/Miller for fox sake. There's a lot more to talk about (i.e. ask) right off the bat than in Bin Chicken...
I'm going to die so hard I won't know what hit me.
—◯-◯

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 pm UTC

Would anyone be interested + willing to be a mentor for somitomi / Peaceful Whale (as our two new players) for the X-Men Game? I thought that was an awesome idea from last game. Please PM me if you are.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:00 am UTC

Oh God, thank you. You don't know how great that is until suddenly it isn't there anymore.
—◯-◯

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:58 pm UTC

X-Men
Spoiler:
Well, the Sabrar case was mostly just to get the action going but I'm becoming more convinced that it's true. If Sabrar is scum I suspect Peaceful Whale is his buddy and Sabrar used day chat to ask him to back off. Hmm, PW needs some pressure too as a test.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:11 pm UTC

X-men
Spoiler:
I keep returning to the vanilla town mindset even though I'm "self-aligned". It just occured to me, that LYLO might actually be advantageous to me and that in such a case I'm better off pushing a myslinch to end the game. If I were mafia, I'd be pretty bad at it I'm afraid...
—◯-◯

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:38 am UTC

Guys this game is fun to watch. I have no idea what's going on and the roles all being out makes it hard to guess. I love it. I especially love that I'm not the one having to make sense of it all :lol:

(at least... until I may or may not be called upon to replace, a sacred duty I will wear with pride)
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:44 am UTC

X-men mafia
Spoiler:
Hi Gojoe thread. I don't have time to make a proper post right now, I'm just throwing this up there to tease Madge since she can't read it.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:31 am UTC

X-Men Mafia (Re: What just happened) - would love your feedback if you are NOT playing
Spoiler:
To those not playing - what would you have done in my shoes if you were the mod?

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:23 am UTC

X-Men Mafia
Spoiler:
Would have done what you did. Ruined nothing, in this case. Revealed purely public information. Stated your intentions clearly for future infractions. Feels sufficient. Added the important bit of not caring whether it was real or fake too.

Appears new to the forums (or at least to posting here), additionally. Likes giving newbies a break. Hates modkilling, also.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:42 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:X-Men Mafia (Re: What just happened) - would love your feedback if you are NOT playing
Spoiler:
To those not playing - what would you have done in my shoes if you were the mod?

X-Men @ dimochka (warning: long, rambly)
Spoiler:
I don't know Whale's alignment as I'm avoiding spoilers for replacement duties, but to me, it looked like it was a genuine mistake and if we're going to be friendly to newbies we have to forgive those. I know if I was a newbie I'd be extremely upset to be modkilled for breaking a rule I probably didn't remember skimming with the 1000 rules on mafia posts. But now PW will never forget THAT rule again.

(If it was mpolo or bessie or Sabrar, who would have known better, I would have mod killed them, FWIW - I feel mod kills are terrible, but if they never occur then they lose their bite. Also, I will treasure the memory of managing to get Vytron to accidentally get himself mod killed in a game of ghost 'till the day I die)

On a meta-level, assuming PW is genuine confused newbie and not scum playing character, it does effectively clear PW as town and allow them to avoid being held accountable for their poor play. Further, cult can NEVER cult PW. PW might fuck up and out them. Mafia will have a heck of a decision to make about killing PW or not: they are obviously not a good investigator/manipulator like Sabrar or Bessie who will get town to potentially vote for their scumread, but they are also not going to get mislynched.

Dim, I'd be happy to mentor someone if they are OK with the fact that I am a bad scum hunter. I won't be able to help them be "better" at the game, but I'd be able to tell someone like PW exactly what about their posts is causing people to be upset and how to better phrase them and stuff maybe? I don't know. I feel bad for PW as they're obviously trying very hard and it fell rather flat.

But then my timezone is clearly not very compatible with PW's and I'm still not getting emails from the forum so I'm not sure if I'd be good for more than one PM a day anyway?

I don't think I could do anything to help Somitomi. I feel like they're a better player than me already. (I hope Somitomi reads this when the game's over!)

Warm fuzzy moment: the way I play mafia is like the way people slow down to look at car accidents: they know there's nothing they can do to help, but they have got to be there to see it happen. I'm glad I've finally figured that out and put less pressure on myself, and I'm glad you guys put up with me anyway.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:18 pm UTC

X-Men @dimochka:
Spoiler:
I also don't know alignments, but I think you probably did the right thing. Modkills basically always mess up game balance, and I don't feel like this was malicious or an attempt by PW to somehow throw the game. I wouldn't make the same exception for any other player in the game, except possibly somitomi (and even then, probably not), but for a first time player, I think it was fine, even without the replacement.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can offer mentor support, as what spare time I have I am prepping for going away for two weeks, when I'll have zero mafia time.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:52 pm UTC

X-Men
Spoiler:
The only explanation I can conceive of for Heury's behavior is that LaserGuy and Heury are Wolverine and Jean and Heury mistakenly still believes that an investigative role like Wolverine indicates town alignment.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:21 pm UTC

X men

Spoiler:
The main reason I am not wanting Laserguy dead is so I can keep my private chat with him. Very likely he is scum and I am rather worried him using his ability to kill anyone that targets him tonight since people probably will if he survives. So at the very least no one should target him tonight, so maybe I should out him.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:20 pm UTC

X-Men
Spoiler:
Feeling good about the lynch here. I'd say 75% chance LaserGuy is scum. If he is then 75% chance somitomi is his scum-buddy.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:05 pm UTC

X-Men:
Spoiler:
That was a horrible D1 for me :( I kind of knew that this would be a mess with the daychats, though Gopher going AWOL didn't help either. I just wasn't able to come up with any really good reads this game. I need to rethink my scum game. Or play more town.

Anyway, well done bessie and BoomFrog for catching me early.

@dimochka:
Spoiler:
To no one's surprise, she had two separate talking devices. But along with them, a short note was found with clear intent of how to assassinate each of the X-Men. It seems that the group chose well.

I kind of feel that this might have been a slip on your part. If both Cyclops and Wolverine were town, then Jean would have had three night chats. The fact that she only had two implicates Cyclops/Wolverine if people start claiming. I doubt anyone will notice, but it's there.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:08 pm UTC

X-men Mafia
Spoiler:
Sorry BoomFrog, I've debated in the end to protect you instead of saving myself but it was a 50-50 shot. As always I chose wrong.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:09 pm UTC

X-Men:

Spoiler:
Don't feel too bad about it Sabrar. I was planning on killing one of you or BoomFrog and switched back and forth between you maybe 4 times.

[edit]Forgot the title.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:12 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:X-Men:

Spoiler:
That was a horrible D1 for me :( I kind of knew that this would be a mess with the daychats, though Gopher going AWOL didn't help either. I just wasn't able to come up with any really good reads this game. I need to rethink my scum game. Or play more town.

Anyway, well done bessie and BoomFrog for catching me early.

Also X-Men
Spoiler:
My advice is don't try so hard to make cases against people. Your biggest tell is when you choose someone to target then go look for evidence, it's really not subtle. Try to forget you know who is scum and "actually" scum hunt. Express confusion when you can't find any scum. Follow the process of elimination after finding most people townie.

Also remember to find your scum mates scummy if you "naturally" come to that conclusion, just don't drum up a fire for their lynch (unless you think the bus is worth it).

Also, if I'm town and your scum don't follow this advice too closely. :twisted:

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:21 pm UTC

X-men:
Spoiler:
So LaserGuy flipped scum, which seems neutral from a Survivor perspective, but it still going to cause me trouble. He was the only person reading me as solid townie, so I'm now at the scum end of everyone's read list. This just makes me more suspicious in the eyes of others, Sabrar already has his finger pointed at me. Dammit.
The shortest way to end the game at this point is to lynch scum at the end of D2, so I'm now aligned with town for all intents and purposes. The protection offered by this fact makes claiming look feasible, so let's think who else could make this claim (i.e. how does this claim look from outside):
  • town: I don't see any reason for a townie to do that
  • mafia: could try, but they run the risk of a counterclaim especially if they don't know the setup
  • serial killer: can confidently do that to avoid being lynched (the single night-kill could be explained by interference from a roleblocker or doctor and this claim would make sense for SK in that case)
  • jester: can do that too, but would be unlikely to do so in my position
The SK option is definitely dangerous, but I think it's manageable. If this idea is brought up I'll have to convince everyone to focus on scumhunting today and lynch me on D3 if the game isn't over by that time. Scum might try to use me as a scapegoat, but they can't push to hard lest my flip reveal them to town.
So do I want to claim my role too? It would narrow potential scum down to five and I'd become valuable to town as a cop. On the other hand I'd also be a target for mafia on N2 and my only hope is protection from a doctor.
—◯-◯

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:30 am UTC

It looks like nothing is really ready for sign-ups after X-men. I'm thinking of running a game and am considering two choices.

Fridge Mafia - Has the potato salad gone bad? Something is spreading mold in the fridge. Kick out leftovers until the spread stops. - Simple semi-open setup, noob friendly, but with a few non-standard but simple roles.

Rick and Morty Mafia - The council of Ricks has convened to root out ricks too "ricky" to be team players. Will any Mortys survive? - Closed setup. You can sign up to be a rick or a morty. Ricks roles are more complex and Morty roles are simple and noob friendly. Alignments are completely random, but roles are designed after alignments are assigned. Seriously, some of the Rick roles are really complex.

Any votes between the options? Comments? Should I throw it in setups? Either one would be scheduled to start "when X-Men ends".

Madge

Postby Madge » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:40 am UTC

I'd play either. I like the idea of Rick and Morty because I WANT SOME CRAZY ROLES DAMNIT, even though I thought I wouldn't want to play it because I don't get the flavour.

Love the flavour idea for Fridge Mafia. You could have a lot of fun with it!

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:08 am UTC

I don't really care, both have noob freindly options. So I may be able to play...

I like the way you wrote your blurb for the fridge one, it sounds fun.
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:55 am UTC

Would play either, no preference.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:00 am UTC

X-men
Spoiler:
Well, there goes my claim, let's see how it goes over. I'm not sure about claiming my role though and it wouldn't reinforce my alignment anyway in this setup. If I had a scum result it would make things much easier...
—◯-◯

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:03 am UTC

I'd play in either, but won't be able to until about 3 weeks time, so probably I'll sign up for replacements.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:11 am UTC

Will be on vacation from mid-August -- it'll probably be 2nd week of September or so before I'm reliably online.

X-Men:

Spoiler:
So, for the peanut gallery, I truthfully claimed my role. I sent a 1-shot cop to adnapemit.
Image <-- Evil experiment

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:24 am UTC

X-Men:
Spoiler:
I haven't posted here yet for this game.
Just fixing that. :mrgreen:
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:42 am UTC

X-men
Spoiler:
Well that turned out to be a stupid idea.
Can I save it with roleclaiming? IIRC there are two roles with one-shot cop powers, so I'm not as useful to town as I could be and the doctor would definitely not protect me on N2. On the other hand, mafia would probably not kill me anyway, so I might live to see D3. Question is, would town accept that claim and would that stop them from lynching me?
Problem is: I can't support my claim in any way, except for the absense of a counterclaim
AAAaaarghghh
I'm fucked big time...
—◯-◯

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:42 pm UTC

I'll be playing Fridge or Rick and Morty. I think I'm slightly drawn towards the complex Rick roles but the fridge flavor seems pretty cool as well.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:14 pm UTC

One other distinction between the two. Rick & Morty Mafia has a higher risk of being unbalanced since the complex roles are harder to predict.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:01 pm UTC

Either works for me.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:04 pm UTC

Unbalanced games are my jam. I'm in!
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:12 pm UTC

X-Men Mafia
Spoiler:
Despite appearances I'm inclined to believe somitomi because BoomFrog breadcrumbed here that he would use his ability, his reaction here and here suggests that he is considering it a good lynch therefore his most likely target would be someone on mpolo's wagon (definitely not Gopher of Pern who probably didn't submit any actions, probably not adnapemit). That basically leaves somitomi because of this, so he couldn't have killed BoomFrog.
However I might be wrong about my assumptions and somitomi is still the mechanically correct lynch.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:31 pm UTC

X-Men:
Spoiler:
LaserGuy could have hammered next post, but he didn't. Somewhat interesting.

Yeah, this was definitely a huge mistake on my part. I had actually written a post voting in, realized it was hammer and was thinking "Oh, well that will make me look really scummy D2, better not hammer". With only a few hours to go before end of day, I probably would have been safe enough just to go for it.

Sabrar does make a bit of a mistake in his GoJoe spoiler here though:
definitely not Gopher of Pern who probably didn't submit any actions

In this scenario, if Gopher had another ability (a roleblock or whatever), I'm pretty sure that I could have just submitted it along with my action... that's what I did with the night kill, at least.

I don't know how this works in a game with night chat... If one scum goes AWOL and the other is getting lynched, can they submit preemptive night actions to the mod to the effect of "If my partner doesn't return by the end of night, please him them kill X and roleblock Y"?

Return to “Mafia”