The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

somitomi

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby somitomi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:41 pm UTC

X-men
Spoiler:
adnapemit wrote:Helpful game advice because Somi is still new: Always claim town even if you are an indie. Unless you are in a position where we have to lynch mafia or can bargain with mafia. Always claim town. I learned this the hard way.

Looks like I'm on my way to learning the hard way too.
—◯-◯

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:55 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:X-Men:
Spoiler:
LaserGuy could have hammered next post, but he didn't. Somewhat interesting.

Yeah, this was definitely a huge mistake on my part. I had actually written a post voting in, realized it was hammer and was thinking "Oh, well that will make me look really scummy D2, better not hammer". With only a few hours to go before end of day, I probably would have been safe enough just to go for it.

Sabrar does make a bit of a mistake in his GoJoe spoiler here though:
definitely not Gopher of Pern who probably didn't submit any actions

In this scenario, if Gopher had another ability (a roleblock or whatever), I'm pretty sure that I could have just submitted it along with my action... that's what I did with the night kill, at least.

I don't know how this works in a game with night chat... If one scum goes AWOL and the other is getting lynched, can they submit preemptive night actions to the mod to the effect of "If my partner doesn't return by the end of night, please him them kill X and roleblock Y"?

X-Men
Spoiler:
Hammering would have been a mistake unless you were confident you were getting lynched D2 regardless. So in this case... yeah, you probably should have hammered. Always obvious in retrospect...

I made the same mistake as Sabrar.
If I'd known scum GoP was able to take action I would have targeted him (and this game would have been record breakingly short*). However, as mod I would have allowed what you did and I agree with dimochka's decision.

*Record breaking for balanced games. I did play a game that ended at the beginning of D1 after a pregame power buying session.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:03 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:X-Men
Spoiler:
*Record breaking for balanced games. I did play a game that ended at the beginning of D1 after a pregame power buying session.

X-Men Mafia
Spoiler:
Refers to Designer Mafia, presumably, for those interested.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:12 am UTC

X-Men @LaserGuy
Spoiler:
I was fine with allowing you to decide who will execute the night kill, since it's a team action. I probably would not have let you use his individual action.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:02 am UTC

X-Men mafia
Spoiler:
Sabrar seems a little off today. I wonder if he’s FRUSTRATED because he was ROLEBLOCKED last night? :mrgreen:

Lynching a claimed Survivor at this point is good for Town, so unless someone has a pretty convincing argument I'm going to leave my vote where it is.
Hmm, he really wants Heury alive at endgame. I wonder why.

I support a full role-claim today and coordinating night-actions to guarantee the win.
Rolefishing.

I might need to turn the screws a little on Sabrar, and see what happens.

LaserGuy, I hope you’re not too discouraged at being scum again. I feel the same way a lot (for the opposite reason). Based on your content alone, I wasn’t convinced that you were scum and might have gone for mpolo. But heuristically_alone was so scummy the way he tried to keep you alive that he sort of convinced me that you were the scum team. Unless it’s Sabrar. :D

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:08 am UTC

X-Men mafia

Spoiler:
Re: turning the screws on Sabrar:
bessie wrote:Sabrar, why are you trying so hard to keep Heury alive?

Why do you think? Do you imagine I have an ulterior motive doing so?

Well, that was fast.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:34 am UTC

X-Men mafia:

Spoiler:
bessie wrote:LaserGuy, I hope you’re not too discouraged at being scum again. I feel the same way a lot (for the opposite reason). Based on your content alone, I wasn’t convinced that you were scum and might have gone for mpolo. But heuristically_alone was so scummy the way he tried to keep you alive that he sort of convinced me that you were the scum team. Unless it’s Sabrar. :D

I got you killed last game, only fair that you get to return the favour :)

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:42 pm UTC

X-Men
Spoiler:
bessie wrote:Sabrar seems a little off today. I wonder if he’s FRUSTRATED because he was ROLEBLOCKED last night? :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait, but... then why is she in any way suspicious of Sabrar? The fact that there was a kill should clear him.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:00 pm UTC

X-Men
Spoiler:
Except he wasn't roleblocked :D

Edit: This is getting fun. Sabrar used his self-protect, which acts as a commute (which people will know if they read the post on the first page where I replied with order of actions). So even though he was in his room, he essentially cryogenically froze himself. Wolverine could therefore smell nothing on him, regardless of whether anyone else tried to visit him.

For spectators, here's the exact message I sent to Heury:

"N1 Result: You head over to Sabrar's room, finding the door closed but lit. You spend the next 10 min trying to sense the smells of those with whom Sabrar interacted, but you sense nothing and no one."
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:21 am UTC

X-Men
Spoiler:
I simply love logic puzzles. :D

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:25 pm UTC

X-Men:
Spoiler:
I feel bad for moody. I left him in a really rough spot. There's enough confirmed or near-confirmed townies that I have a hard time seeing how scum can win at this point.

In this case, it works out, but I think Sabrar may be assuming that scum cannot use their powers and NK at the same time, which isn't always true (and I don't know if it is true this game). If Sabrar was scum, this would actually be a very clever way of creating a foolproof plan and then fooling it.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:30 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:X-Men:
Spoiler:
I feel bad for moody. I left him in a really rough spot. There's enough confirmed or near-confirmed townies that I have a hard time seeing how scum can win at this point.

In this case, it works out, but I think Sabrar may be assuming that scum cannot use their powers and NK at the same time, which isn't always true (and I don't know if it is true this game). If Sabrar was scum, this would actually be a very clever way of creating a foolproof plan and then fooling it.

X-Men
Spoiler:
Agreed. This is a huge train wreak of a plan built on a false premise that is going to work anyway. The hilarious part is that scum!Sabrar would never try to do this intentionally because he prides himself on bring logically correct and reliable more then he wants to win as scum. I'm not sure he could even conceive of messing up this bad on purpose.

I don't think you left too many confirmed townies,
that was mostly out of your control. We have so many 'probably town' players right now because I managed to pull off three convincing lynch wagon on D1. Every early vote from one player on another's wagon convincingly severed a possible scum buddy tie. That's how I was convinced to vote you instead of mpolo, because no one was reluctant to lynch him except Sabrar who had been reluctant to lynch Peaceful Whale.

If Sabrar had focused on actual scum hunting instead of the delicious logic puzzle of mechanically clearing everyone this would have been much easier. He's even trying to clear adnapemit, which is totally unnecessary.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:35 pm UTC

X-men:
Spoiler:
@dimochka:Is bessie's siphon power a jailer + she steals the ability? Does it also block the NK in this case?

I think this is the current plan:

- bessie siphons moody
- adnapemit blocks heury
- adnapemit cops bessie
- mpolo gives Doc to heury
- Sabrar protects heury
- heury sniffs bessie
- moody targets adnapemit

-If bessie is scum: heury is roleblocked so he can't get a result on her. bessie blocks moody and is forced to kill adnapemit (she has to block moody or it gives away that she is scum). I think when adnapemit and bessie switched jobs, Sabrar needed to switch to protecting adnapemit. Even in this scenario, though, bessie could just block Sabrar and let moody kill adnapemit.
-If heury is scum, no night kill. bessie, mpolo are cleared. This scenario is good for town.
-mpolo basically can't be scum because of somitomi result. Plan would fail if he was though, since he can just Doc heury and then kill someone else.
-If Sabrar is scum plan fails. Sabrar can kill anyone except moody without implicating himself. Probably kills adnapemit to implicate bessie.
-If adnapemit is scum, she can kill anyone except heury and moody without implicating herself.
-If moody is scum, there's no night kill (depending on how my siphon question ends up), but moody isn't implicated directly. bessie and mpolo are cleared. Town is okay here too.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:48 am UTC

X-men mafia
Spoiler:
WTF? I’m slammed at work and I can’t even leave for a meeting without coming back to a disaster, I had to trust my husband to take care of the broken pipe and I come home and there is a pool of water around my avocado tree, and I check in here and there are only TWO people voting? And one of them is Heury? Why isn’t Sabrar voting? You left Heury with his playstyle an opportunity to tie the game if he wants? Sabrar you should have lynched me. I’m going to kill you tomorrow night.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:33 am UTC

X-Men Mafia
Spoiler:
Watch me lose to scum!heury who is secretly Magneto, blocking moody and killing me. Unlikely but not impossible. Oh well.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:18 pm UTC

X-Men mafia

Spoiler:
Hey spectators how am I doing? Have I totally got it wrong about everyone? I was wrong about Sabrar. Somitomi didn’t have a kill so Sabrar can’t be scum (or am I missing something?). I’m smart enough but not brilliant so I could be missing something. Sabrar’s brilliant and he missed the part about the godfather (OR DID HE?)

Effective immediately, moody7277 is replacing Gopher of Pern. Quick note that moody has agreed to sub, but as of now hasn't read his role PM yet.

To be honest, this comment has been fucking me up, and it shouldn’t be, because I should be ignoring it. Does it mean moody didn’t submit a night action? Irrelevant, GoP could have submitted one. It is WRONG of me to be META GAMING the GAME like this (I think moody and I had an unfinished discussion regarding this). So if I’m confused it’s my own fault.

HELLO? C’mon lurkers you need to post! The spectators must surely be bored by now. I’m running dry for entertaining content. I was pretty wound up when I got home from work and wrote this post but cooled off because every game I play with adnapemit she says something I find funny and I really like playing with her.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:12 pm UTC

Fridge Mafia in Signups

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:00 am UTC

I will aim to start fridge Mafia within 24 hours.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:24 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:I will aim to start fridge Mafia within 24 hours.

Yay!

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:53 am UTC

dimochka wrote:X-Men
Spoiler:
Except he wasn't roleblocked :D

Edit: This is getting fun. Sabrar used his self-protect, which acts as a commute (which people will know if they read the post on the first page where I replied with order of actions). So even though he was in his room, he essentially cryogenically froze himself. Wolverine could therefore smell nothing on him, regardless of whether anyone else tried to visit him.

For spectators, here's the exact message I sent to Heury:

"N1 Result: You head over to Sabrar's room, finding the door closed but lit. You spend the next 10 min trying to sense the smells of those with whom Sabrar interacted, but you sense nothing and no one."

Spoiler:
ahhh i understand a little better now where you were going with this
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:51 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:I will aim to start fridge Mafia within 24 hours.

Yay!

Slight delay. I'm still working out balance. The voices won't stop.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:55 pm UTC

Fridge Mafia
Spoiler:
I did a lot of things to try and keep the game interesting but noob friendly. One of them was to give mafia day chat, and allow dead members to stay in mafia chat. I was hoping that at least one experienced player would end up in the mafia and could coach but... that didn't happen. Good luck to the mafia this game. :D

Other design considerations:
  • No redirects and the roleblock tells players they were roleblocked. I want night results to not be confusing.
  • No ninjas, godfathers or strongmen. As above I want people to know their powers worked. I really feel these roles belong mostly in open or semi-open setups only.
  • Minimized chat groups. I want the action to happen in the main thread and don't want noobs to have to manage multiple channels. Really sad about this one because I wanted to put in Grape masons.
  • Minimize ways to confirm townies. I wanted to prevent this from becoming a logic puzzle.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:01 pm UTC

Fridge Mafia
Spoiler:
Vanilla in role and flavour. Town again.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:13 pm UTC

Fridge mafia
Spoiler:
Sigh, I don't think I got a very newbie friendly role. I'm with huery, and we have to find another mafia member. I hope I can do this.
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:15 pm UTC

Fridge:
Spoiler:
I'm one-shot bulletproof town. Nice feature is that I will get to know if my protection has been removed.

Let's see if I can play super townie to draw the night kill. Or end up getting lynched because I don't know how to play town :)

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:14 pm UTC

Fridge

Spoiler:
So, RVS has been a little more interesting than usual. Might make for some useful discussion later on.

The power my role has is a bit tricky to make useful. I have a one-shot multi-person doctor that doesn't work if one or more of the list is scum. Might be more useful as a weak cop-like result, but I'd have to include both one scum and the target in my list. Very tricky. :? Obviously something I'm not using N1.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:19 am UTC

Fridge Mafia.
Spoiler:
Yep. The usual. Sigh.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:27 am UTC

Spoiler:
Sigh, still haven't heard from huery, and now I think Bessie and moody are suspecting I'm rotten. Just because I voted huery. (Who happens to be mafia buddy) as a joke. At least if I get lynched they won't suspect huery as my partner.

Edit: I keep forgetting this. Fridge Mafia
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:56 am UTC

So! I'm back after a few days in Melbourne. Glad I didn't replace in X-Men because I had no time at all to do mafia related things especially with topic reply emails STILL not coming? Will they ever fix that?? =/

Anyway, going to be fun to watch fridge mafia. Thanks for making it BF!
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:36 am UTC

Fridge mafia

Spoiler:
So I am mafia this game with peaceful whale.
Based on this joke vote i am fairly certain that he will get lynched d1, especially if he tries bussing me at all, which would gauranteed me getting lynched d2. We got a list of safe claims, and so i told him to breadcrumb being an apple.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:04 am UTC

Fridge

Spoiler:
I'm a noisy cop this time around. Like ordinary cops I can check one person's alignment every night, but if I hit scum, they will be told my role and that I investigated them.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:40 pm UTC

Fridge mafia

Spoiler:
I am a block of cheese, eager to get spoiled by and join the rest of the rotten food. I assume there's two regular mafia already out there chatting and I'm the third. I get recruited if I successfully target mafia with my action or if they try to night-kill me. I'm getting more and more convinced bessie is mafia. Realizing as I write that she mentioned she's looking for the 1 from the 6+2+1. I hope she doesn't get lynched now :?

Goals:
1 find another, better, lynch target, preferably town, although as long as I get recruited I'd be fine with townie credit for lynching scum.
2 find a way to signal bessie that I'm the recruit so I'm not a night-kill target.

I'm loving the flavor for my role btw! Cheese spoils so easily. I had to throw some moldy cheese away Tuesday.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:16 pm UTC

Fridge

Spoiler:
Not really getting any good scum reads so far.
Maybe bessie? Or lurker like Znirk?

Plus side I don't think there's a jester. Unless it's bessie which would be hilarious.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:27 pm UTC

Fridge mafa
Spoiler:
I had already planned on trying to do better at producing reads this game, so of course I draw mafia this game and I get suspected for actually producing reads haha.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:00 pm UTC

Fridge:
Spoiler:
Okay, so this is what I think is happening with Peaceful Whale.

1) He's a mason, and is cross-crumbing his partner (the apple).
2) He either is the apple or can be recruited by the apple as a mason.
3) Red herring (doubt it)

I think the argument could go either way. His posting style definitely improved from page 1 to page 2, which makes me think maybe he's mason, with partner being someone who started play late--bessie, moody, maybe plytho (though I'm less convinced that plytho would know to cross-crumb).

Either way, pretty sure he's town.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:45 pm UTC

Fridge mafia
Spoiler:
Argh! I wish I had pointed out flicky looking scummy before Sabrar did. I hate feeling like I'm sheeping. I had just mentioned flicky is the mafia chat. There is actually a third mafia member who we so not know who they are and they don't know who we are.
I speculated it being maybe flicky.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:20 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Wow, I'm doing better than I thought I would...
Any thoughts spectators? Hmm.... they'll have to be spoiled though. That's fine, I'll read them when the game ends.

Edit : crap, forgot to add this AGAIN fridge mafia
Last edited by Peaceful Whale on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:46 pm UTC

Fridge mafia
Spoiler:
@Peaceful Whale: You are doing better then I thought you would too. A lot of it is that your weird slips are so weird that people don't know if they are scummy or townie. You're getting some help from the fact that I'm known for weird set-ups and there's a real, "anything is possible" vibe going on. But you are catching on fast, I think you'll get the hang of things pretty quickly. Just don't panic. :wink:

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:08 am UTC

Thanks plytho and bessie for also reporting the PM notification issue in the site/forum issues thread!
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:36 pm UTC

Madge, not getting notification emails has been way more inconvenient then I thought it would be. If anyone else is having this issue, please chime in!

Return to “Mafia”