The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

somitomi

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby somitomi » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:59 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:Im curious to know what the Heury role power would be haha.

I'd guess everyone's second thought after laughing their socks off is to wonder what the role PM based on them would look like.
—◯-◯

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:24 pm UTC

bessie clearly has too much free time. Therefore if she complains about being too busy to play then she has to be scum and needs to be lynched asap. 8-)

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:38 pm UTC

I want to send you a ridiculous bouquet of flowers bessie, that was a work of art.
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:05 pm UTC

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done and swagged out, bessie.

EDIT: Like, "Who's town? Who's scum? You don't care, kill 'em all" is such a perfect encapsulation of me as a player. Love it.

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:07 am UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:EDIT: Like, "Who's town? Who's scum? You don't care, kill 'em all" is such a perfect encapsulation of me as a player. Love it.
Thanks, but it was a total lucky guess on my part. You have only played three games here, so I really don’t have enough old games to read, in order to get a good feel for your meta marshy YOLO. :wink:

heuristically_alone wrote:Im curious to know what the Heury role power would be haha.
Sorry Heury, my creativity is spent. I havent even thought of a good posting restriction for you yet haha.

Sabrar wrote:bessie clearly has too much free time. Therefore if she complains about being too busy to play then she has to be scum and needs to be lynched asap. 8-)
Wow, I don’t know how it happened but I’ve just had a sudden flash of creativity! I just think I might have it in me to do one more……

Congratulations, Sabrar! In this game, you are dimochka.
You are analytical and perceptive, and have the magic gift of not only reading other players correctly, but you also have a remarkable ability to work out the setup. Unfortunately, you are quite busy in real life and tend to lurk. Your posting restriction is that you may only post after a modprod for inactivity. And only one post per modprod.
Power: JoAT, you may use a tracker, watcher, cop, doctor, vigilante, or any other power you want, you can do it all. Regrettably, you will probably never have the opportunity to share your results anyway before you are lynched or replaced for your lurking.

swag :P

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:45 am UTC

I threw up a meta mafia - if you want to mod instead I wouldn't mind having a co-mod. If someone who is more up to date with the forum wants to suggest posting restrictions, feel free.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Madge

Postby Madge » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:39 am UTC

Oh me yarm i am going to die and go to heaven

i don't know who to pick as my person though if i sign up :( (people feel free to PM me suggestions so as not to spoil the surprise) and heury's game is about to start so you might have to wait for a few people to die.

basically bessie's posts are a good starting point.

i think in the last meta mafia, people weren't keeping their assignments secret, so there'd be no harm in you saying to e.g. bessie "hey someone has chosen Madge as their character, what posting restrictions do you have in mind for that?", also Bessie basically wrote the role PMs for you

okay don't worry i know who i'm going to sign up as!!!! IT IS GOING TO BE EPIC GUYS EPIC I AM SO EXCITED I WILL PLAY SO WELL

like seriously madge #1 on the signup list not bothering to be a replacement you know she's excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:43 am UTC

I'd love to give Meta Mafia a try, but I don't want to take on two games at once, so I won't be signing up until I'm dead/won in Alien Warfare.

Also, I'll be really disappointed if nobody gets the role PM bessie wrote for me (or indeed most of the others - they are all pretty epic) :P
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:35 am UTC

Yeah I signed up but it sure if I can do 3 games at once! Back when I had a lot more time I did cap.it at 4 so 3 these days will be interesting.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:19 pm UTC

I can wait a while before starting if peeps want?
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:46 pm UTC

Oh, I would like to try that, it seems fun, but 1) it seems like a big game for such losers like me 2) I don't think I could convincingly imitate anyone's style. Oh well, have fun, I'm gonna just sit down over there on the bleachers.
—◯-◯

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:02 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Congratulations, Sabrar! In this game, you are dimochka.
You are analytical and perceptive, and have the magic gift of not only reading other players correctly, but you also have a remarkable ability to work out the setup. Unfortunately, you are quite busy in real life and tend to lurk. Your posting restriction is that you may only post after a modprod for inactivity. And only one post per modprod.
Power: JoAT, you may use a tracker, watcher, cop, doctor, vigilante, or any other power you want, you can do it all. Regrettably, you will probably never have the opportunity to share your results anyway before you are lynched or replaced for your lurking.
I accept your challenge. Seeing that I have never been mislynched on this forum before I'm quite confident that my towniness would shine through even in the most dire circumstances. :D

bessie

Postby bessie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:47 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:I threw up a meta mafia - if you want to mod instead I wouldn't mind having a co-mod. If someone who is more up to date with the forum wants to suggest posting restrictions, feel free.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I wasn’t really thinking about modding a game myself. Heury made this post saying I should play a game as Sabrar, and jimbobmacdoodle said he was thinking of making WoT3 a PYP, so I started to write myself a role where I would play as a different one of you every day (note that most of the roles I selected have quite distinctive posting styles). But then Madge started talking about meta mafia again and I haven’t played with Sabrar for a month and I have an overwhelming need to troll him so I dialed up some ridiculous powers and threw it out there.

I kinda want to play, but I kinda would like to co mod this with you. Will think about it a bit.

I really like the idea of giving Sabrar a posting restriction where he can’t post. But he will surely outsmart me and choose EGW. :?

somitomi wrote:Oh, I would like to try that, it seems fun, but 1) it seems like a big game for such losers like me 2) I don't think I could convincingly imitate anyone's style. Oh well, have fun, I'm gonna just sit down over there on the bleachers.
Stop it. You’re not fooling me. You’re quite perceptive. If I comod this I will somehow convince you to play.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:36 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Stop it. You’re not fooling me. You’re quite perceptive. If I comod this I will somehow convince you to play.

Well I can't be that perceptive if I haven't noticed how perceptive I supposedly am. :P

ETA: Besides, knowing what someone plays like and imitating them is not the same thing.

That's not to say I wouldn't want to play though, but my thesis is a tad behind schedule. Maybe if I chose someone who doesn't post much.
—◯-◯

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:17 pm UTC

I would totally be down for this, if I didn't have another game I signed up for! meta mafia v1 was hella fun!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:36 pm UTC

Not_Sabrar_and_bessie_hydra wrote:1

:lol:
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:17 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:I can wait a while before starting if peeps want?

This peep wants.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:09 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:Sign ups for Alien Warfare will close in 48 hours.

I know I was the reason for the delay but now I want my role-pm. :lol:

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:28 pm UTC

Role Pms going on in 8 ish hours.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:47 am UTC

Also during the harrowing time the forum was down earlier, I posted in the facebook group asking what was up.

Did anyone else want an invite to the facebook group? It's.... basically completely unused but would be nice for it to be a little bit more active, and regardless it's nice to have at times like this (or, well, when I got locked out of my account altogether for a day or so earlier in the week).

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:47 am UTC

also i can't wait to see SDK playing with someone else's meta

(PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME IT IS ALL ABOUT ME)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:13 am UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
It's easier if I just copy my pm here because there's quite a few things going on (had to check first whether there might be any spoiler-reading roles)
You are in the alien faction Mercora.

Faction Ability: Each player in your faction is a Mercora Cop. Each night you may target a player to receive knowledge if they are Mercora or not.

Role: You are a Journalist. Each night you may send a player an anonymous message. Send this message and target player’s name to the mod.

Win Condition: You win when at least one Mercora is alive, and only one of either Garatron or Human has at least one living member. All others must be dead.

Fake Human Name: Andrea Gonzalez

So what I can gather from this one:
- I'm scum
- I don't know who my buddies are or their abilities and we don't have chat (very bad memories from Wot2 :( )
- we don't have a factional kill-ability
- there is a second scum-team (Garatron)
- town-faction is the Humans
- looks like we win ties if game ends up with 1 Mercora vs 1 Garatron despite us not having a kill

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:14 am UTC

Alien Warfare spoilers

Spoiler:
So I'm a human, i'm not told who other humans are, and my win condition is "You win when at least one Human is alive, and only one of either Illaman or Mercora has at least one living member. All others must be dead." Very interesting win condition. I'm guessing that instead of a normal town/mafia game, we're essentially 3 separate factions all vying for dominance. I'm guessing the others have win conditions relating to slaughtering humans and maintaining voting majority? We're told there's hidden voting mechanics, so maybe my win condition is the same as a normal town win condition, but the voting mechanics mean that one of the "mafia" being alive would ruin everything. Maybe they need each other alive to kill a human? Unlikely, because then if one faction is wiped out early, the other faction can't win but still has to play. Going to be interesting to see how this game goes.

Also, really glad I'm not mafia

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:08 am UTC

Alien
Spoiler:
I don't even know if I'm Town. I think I might be a serial killer, sort of, but I'm honestly not sure.

[edit]QT for my game notes is here

[edit2]Okay, apparently I'm Town.
Last edited by LaserGuy on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:24 am UTC

Madge wrote:Also during the harrowing time the forum was down earlier, I posted in the facebook group asking what was up.

Did anyone else want an invite to the facebook group? It's.... basically completely unused but would be nice for it to be a little bit more active, and regardless it's nice to have at times like this (or, well, when I got locked out of my account altogether for a day or so earlier in the week).

Yes, anyone that just can’t get enough of Madge’s and bessie’s personal lives should join the facebook group. You can read like all three of the posts we’ve made in the past year...... one of which was just a Merry Christmas post.....and still find out nothing about our personal lives.....

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:08 am UTC

Should we make more of an effort? I remember back circa 2003 I did some of those "getting to know you" interviewish things on my livejournal that were also email chain letters. Maybe a few of those might be interesting. Or horrifying, I don't know.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:59 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
There are 4 factions (human and 3 aliens): Humans, Garatron, Illaman, and Mercora. 6-3-2-2. Humans are town, Illaman and Mercora are more independent, but they choose whether they want to side with town or mafia. Garatron are the scum. The idea of this game is that for any faction to win they must create an alliance with another faction to rid earth of the other alien factions. Humans win by killing Garatron and one of Mercora or Illaman. Garatron wins by killing humans and one of Mercora or Illaman. Mercora/Illaman win by killing the other and one of Humans or Garatron. Everyone is only told of 2 others faction as mentioned in their wincon. Garatron know all 4 because they know humans exist.
Last edited by heuristically_alone on Wed May 02, 2018 8:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

bessie

Postby bessie » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:45 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Should we make more of an effort? I remember back circa 2003 I did some of those "getting to know you" interviewish things on my livejournal that were also email chain letters. Maybe a few of those might be interesting. Or horrifying, I don't know.

Sure why not. Attention everyone! If we get five new members in the facebook group, Madge will do an AMA! :P This is a closed group, so if you want to join, you need to PM Madge.

Madge

Postby Madge » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:29 pm UTC

Why is me doing an AMA a draw? Aren't I such an open book everyone already knows everything they'd ever want ask? :-P

Evil George Washington

Postby Evil George Washington » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:19 am UTC

I'll join the FB group. :)

Madge

Postby Madge » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:30 am UTC

That means 3 more to go and then you get an AMA from me *nervous chittering*

Thingyman

Postby Thingyman » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:50 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:And if I remember correctly, they don't start the mafia Championship until June. If absolutely no one wants to do it, I will. Though I think XKCD should be represented by somebody a little bit more capable than me haha.

No one else has volunteered, and we are nearing the deadline.

Should I consider heuristically_alone your representative -- or do you guys still want some time to discuss and consider? :)

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:35 pm UTC

I have no issue with heuristically_alone representing us.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

wam

Postby wam » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:05 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I have no issue with heuristically_alone representing us.

I agree.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:03 pm UTC

:oops:
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:42 am UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
Faction win conditions purposely left out of the Original Post.
This is strange and signifies either something weird going on or the mod deliberately messing with our heads.

All players within a faction have the same wincon text.

These were added to OP because at least 2 players asked about it. Reason for not making town win condition (or any) public is so that no one initially knows all the factions that exist.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:40 am UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
Will I really get lynched because town has something weird in their win-con that scum was not told? Yeah, I have issues with that...

wam

Postby wam » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:42 am UTC

Alien warfare

Spoiler:
So scum again! Slightly odd win condition of one of us plus another faction being alive. I have a role cop which should help. Also only have night chat.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:59 am UTC

Alien Warfare

Spoiler:
So Sabrar's thing is that he listed 4 factions, when our human role PM only mentions 3. He also put two of those factions at 1 person, but our PMs say we win when there's only one of either of the two factions left. However, the way it's phrased is slightly odd, the first time I read it I thought it meant it could be 1 left of both, but it says only 1 of either. So at first glance Sabrar's post seemed to show he didn't recieve our PMs, however, at closer examination it could be correct, one of the factions might only have 1 person, and one of the factions might be a survivor who won't count against us. I still felt Sabrar's response is telling, though, as he didn't seem to understand (and still doesn't) what part of his post is really causing problems. I want to drag this out as long as possible, as well as be the first to list the win conditions so I can get town cleared. Hopefully I won't get NK'd since there's other players that can be cleared from this.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:48 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
And yeah, I was expecting scum to know the town win condition for balance reasons, but I'm going to go with 'h_a knows what he's doing' and assume the game won't be broken by what's going on here.

Unlikely :lol: The reason I didn't give scum the town wincon is because the game was already more mafia favored in terms of balance. Anyhow alien factions will likely only have to deal with this for D1 until role PM's start being revealed upon deaths of players. If I could redo the setup, I would tell Garatron, the main scum faction, the town wincon.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Return to “Mafia”