The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

jimbobmacdoodle

Re: The Gojoe Memorial Mafia Discussion Thread

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:27 pm UTC

Alien Warfare:
Spoiler:
My guess as to the setup is something similar to WoT2 currently, due to the weird town win-con: 2 competing alien factions trying to get the humans to support them to destroy a third evil alien faction, plus the other. In this case, humans are town. Sabrar's play makes me wonder if he is in one of those two "good" alien factions.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:04 pm UTC

Alien Warfare:
Spoiler:
Something weird is happening. It might be a small weird thing, or it might be a big weird thing.

I am the secondary race of aliens, the Mercora, essentially a faction of survivors who do not know the other members of our faction. My wincon states that my faction can win with either the humans or the Garatron (presumably the proper mafia of the game). Do the Garatron know their members? Wheel of Time theory says no, and it is odd that the human wincon was not shared. Why?

As for the weirdness (as if that wasn't weird enough), my ability is that my vote counts for double, but is only reflected in the totals in the last 24 hours of the day. Why this ability was given to a survivor, I do not know. That might be where the weirdness ends, or maybe it points to something even more strange going on behind the scenes...
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:14 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
So... SDK is about the only player who always reads me correctly, which makes me suspect that he's scum. He doesn't know yet which scum-faction I belong here so he doesn't want me lynched D1 and will check me N1 instead.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:25 pm UTC

Alien Warfare

Spoiler:
So my rolepm did mention other alien factions. I am guessing that town role pm does as well but I am in agreement with sabrar, not seeing the wording as scum makes it possible for town to determine alignment on that which is hard.

The annoying thing is I think sabrar is one of those factions we need 1 alive from!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 01, 2018 5:43 am UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
The only thing that makes sense at this point from balance pov is a 4-4-4-1 setup with all 3 factions having the same objective. I feel however that in that case it would be bastardy to call one of the factions town and giving us a town fake name. I have no clue what's going on...

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 01, 2018 12:44 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
I think there's no way around it. Either we have a standard Town with an unusual win-con that scum was not told or my 4-4-4-1 guess is accurate and it was bastard from the mod to label one of the factions as Town. The second looks more likely. This would probably mean no NK, which means no Doc either. So if forced to I will claim Doc at some point.

What I really don't understand is how Town's win-con works. From my win-con it is clear that as long as one of us is alive we have a chance to win, therefore Town must eliminate all non-Town players in order to win. How can it be different? Unless the win-cons are not mutually exclusive but that would mean a possibility of game-over while one of the factions still would have the chance to achieve theirs.

I am really curious how this was supposed to work.

wam

Postby wam » Tue May 01, 2018 12:47 pm UTC

Alien warfare

Spoiler:
Sorry if I went to far sabrar. But I am trying to keep attention on you and me and off my teammates.

Also one day sabrar and I will be scum together and that will be fun!

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue May 01, 2018 5:41 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
Sabrarr wrote:Cue the angry mob: "Sabrar doesn't make mistakes, he must be scum!!!444!!!"

Nice breadcrumb haha. I'm sure Sabrar would figure out the real setup really quick if he knew there was a fourth faction.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:58 pm UTC

Alien Warfare

Spoiler:
If I had to guess right now, I'd guess Sabrar/Wam and Bessie/Newdude (forgot his name, Mark something). Mpolo, Liri and Frozen are all lurking pretty hard though, so I want to get them to post more. If we're all barking up the wrong tree on Sabrar, than as mafia I'd probably just lay back and let the town run off a cliff. Hopefully they can be drawn in to get some reads.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue May 01, 2018 8:44 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
I think I've chosen visely by not signing up, this game is already pretty intense.
—◯-◯

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue May 01, 2018 9:44 pm UTC

Alien warfare
Spoiler:
This is going to be a fun game [he said unaware of the fact that he'd be lynched later that Day].
I'm in one of the two(?) scum factions. I don't know who my buddies are but I have a cop for my faction (as do all my buddies) so we have to find each other. I don't know if we have a kill (I don't) but we do have chat. Well, I do at least. I can neighborize any two players each night. I'm probably going to attempt to cop a buddy and neighborize them with me for the first night.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

wam

Postby wam » Wed May 02, 2018 7:54 am UTC

Alien warfare

Spoiler:
So that was my best guess of setup and i was hoping that I would include whatever information town have. My role pm mentions 2 other alien faction and I know there's a human faction.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 02, 2018 8:14 am UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
Yep, jimbob's also scum. Or not human. Or whatever, I don't think we can call any faction truly scum here.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 02, 2018 8:18 am UTC

Alien:
Spoiler:
I'm going to find it pretty funny if the first 200 posts worth of setup related nonsense was all for naught.

Can someone explain to me how there could possibly be three scum teams? Logistically I just don't see how it could ever work or why someone would ever think that. Multiball with two teams is bad enough as it is with 13 players. 3 teams with 13 players is absurd.

wam

Postby wam » Thu May 03, 2018 1:30 pm UTC

Alien

Spoiler:
If I get lynched because I didn't have the town role pm and I was having to guess it early on I will be pissed.

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu May 03, 2018 1:39 pm UTC

Alien warfare
Spoiler:
I'm realizing we're not going to have an easy job. Since we don't know who our teammates are we might just be lynching them. The best thing I can do is find out at least one teammate and get them into chat tomorrow. I haven't picked up any crumbs though so I don't know who to pick at this point.

ETA: always fun when SDK shows up :D

Right, now I think there are 4 races and each can win with two others?

SDK is not on my side. I'm assuming he's mercora (I wasn't aware of them). Possibly humans weren't aware of garatron? So that's why jimbob (human) responded like he did.

So, definitely try to lynch SDK. Don't choose jimbob for chat. Exciting!

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Thu May 03, 2018 3:25 pm UTC

Alien Warfare:
Spoiler:
Sorry SDK, but I think I'm beginning to get a handle on what is going on, though it's not certain yet. I'm thinking there are 3 alien factions, with 2 or 3 members in each. Each faction (apart from maybe the "bad" guys) doesn't know about one other faction (similar to WoT2). I'd be interested to know what sort of faction the third faction not mentioned by SDK is though. I wonder if it's worth keeping SDK alive or not? I doubt he's lying about being Mercora, so it might be useful to have his Mercora cop ability around.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Thu May 03, 2018 4:24 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
I completely screwed up. :cry:
Somehow managed to misread my win-con and my whole thought-process got derailed.
Apologies to heury.

wam

Postby wam » Thu May 03, 2018 4:30 pm UTC

Alien

Spoiler:
Right last roll of the dice. If this doesn't work in going to openly claim and suggest that as I'm 90% certain humans are in the minority we aliens h_a together. The only reason this probably with work is I don't think the other two alien factions can win together.

wam

Postby wam » Thu May 03, 2018 4:40 pm UTC

Alien

Spoiler:
well given I'm at l-2 plan above won't work as I will be speed lynched before it can work.

Maven89

Postby Maven89 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:03 am UTC

Alien Warfare

Spoiler:
I feel bad for scum. The lack of win condition turned out to be huge, when I never thought it would. There's multiple clears already. If I was scum I think I would be pretty upset. Unless, of course, scum knows the human win condition. In which case, this is still balanced.

wam

Postby wam » Fri May 04, 2018 11:36 am UTC

Alien

Spoiler:
So with both teammates being newbies Heury has agreed to let me send a message through him with advice. with the proviso to remove anything that goes to far. This is the advice.

Hi guys, sorry about being lynched D1, I didn't play that very well. As your both newbies Huery as agreed to let me pass on some advice. Please note I did this as separate statements so that Heury can take out anything that goes to far.

1. Read your role pms carefully.
2. For the NK think about which one will help the win condition the best.
3. Based on 2, anyone you can identify as human should be a priority.
4. There should be enough in thread for you to get a good idea of whos human.
5. For the Nk you have to out think any town protective powers that are out there.
6. When choosing who to carry out the kill think about the possibility of watchers/trackers
7. If you get towards end game with all these factions you need to think and appeal to them in terms of their own self interest.
8. There should be enough in thread for you to get to the town wincon or close.
9. Try and come up with players you can find a link to me and throw suspicion on them.
10. Good Luck!

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri May 04, 2018 12:15 pm UTC

Alien Warfare is the only currently ongoing game at the moment?
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 04, 2018 12:19 pm UTC

Yes, though Seven Deadly Zens has also started but it's currently on hold.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Fri May 04, 2018 12:46 pm UTC

Ok, thanks. I am wondering whether I should start MetaMafia next week or wait till Alien Mafia is over.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 04, 2018 12:51 pm UTC

I think you should wait. There is a big overlap and most players prefer to focus on one game at a time.

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri May 04, 2018 12:55 pm UTC

I agree with Sabrar. Maybe it won't be necessary to wait until alien warfare is entirely over, but at least until the busy early days are behind us.

Vicarin

Postby Vicarin » Fri May 04, 2018 1:20 pm UTC

And these early days have been so very, very busy indeed.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
How to use my anonymous message?

1. contact SDK
issue: they might kill him to disprove me plus I really don't have any additional information I can share with him

2. try to create chaos and get a reaction (e.g. send a message from X to Y claiming to be alien, claiming to think the other is alien as well, asking to cooperate, etc)
issue: probably only works with less experienced players and I don't want to be mean to the newbies

3. offer my full cooperation to Town, best bet is plytho or LaserGuy
issue: neither of them really trusts me, plytho already thinks I'm doing a gambit and my relationship with LaserGuy is 'complicated'

4. contact bessie and just force her to pay attention to me rambling on and on :)
issue: she might not be Town in which case she will laughingly screw me over...

@spectators: send me brain-waves which to choose!

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri May 04, 2018 3:22 pm UTC

Alien Warefare
Spoiler:
Some interesting things. Bessie used her ability to motivate Laserguy into using his action twice. So now Laserguy will get 2 mentors. He will have a private chat with each of them and a night kill with each of them in future nights. Will he survive n2 though?

Decided to forward wam's message to other mafia. I took out point 3 and changed 4 point to say they should try to figure out who is human and alien, rather than telling them that the information is in the thread to be able to figure out who is human.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

wam

Postby wam » Fri May 04, 2018 3:56 pm UTC

Alien

Spoiler:
well hopefully u have caused some chaos. With the game I think the issue i had was that day 1 the optimum scum play was to lurk hard. Which would have got me lynched for not playing to my meta.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri May 04, 2018 4:06 pm UTC

Alien
Spoiler:

That is all.

bessie

Postby bessie » Fri May 04, 2018 4:39 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:Ok, thanks. I am wondering whether I should start MetaMafia next week or wait till Alien Mafia is over.

Agree with waiting to start MetaMafia until at least D3 or D4 of Alien Warfare. I had a dream last night and Zen was in it so I hope that means he's OK and maybe he might be back sometime.....?

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri May 04, 2018 9:46 pm UTC

Alien warfare
Spoiler:
So many things to think!

Vicarin is so town it hurts. He can't even imagine the pov of Illaman and why we'd stay quiet.

Basically every faction has two paths to victory: 1)eliminate your rival first and survive the battle between the others. 2) see one of your potential cowinners eliminated and compete with your rival for the win.

Humans and Garatron are likely to take path one as they have the means to eliminate a rival (lynch and NK respectively). While Illaman and Mercora don't (at least that I know of). That means we need to manipulate the first winner into helping us.

Staying hidden is a good way to do that. Say SDK,Sabrar and mpolo are indeed the only three Mercora. As soon as Garatron is eliminated there will be Mercora and a combination of town and Illaman. At that point both town and Illaman benefit from lynching Mercora. Because otherwise town risks lynching their own and losing the game, whereas lynching Mercora is no-risk (or low risk at least).

So I'll stay hidden for now and hope to dodge the night kills until we get Garatron eliminated.

It's interesting that Heuristically_alone is allowing our input regarding announcing faction elimination, as it's a major influence on strategy. If it's announced my strategy works perfectly. If it isn't things can get pretty messy if a Garatron or Mercora can keep hidden.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this game!

Next step is picking targets for my night actions.

I'm probably going to use both the chat and the Illaman cop on the same person. Now I just need to find the most likely Illaman.

I'm not going to pick the three Mercora, obviously. (I was kind of thinking Sabrar may be a sneaky Illaman, but being aware of the cop ability kind of kills that theory. Sneaky Garatron still possible.)

I'm also going to avoid the townies: Vicarin, LaserGuy and maven. Bessie belongs here too I think.

That leaves Mark, Liri, jimbob and freezeblade.

I guess I'll have to reread them properly to look for hints of Illaman. Luckily, apart from jimbob, they don't have a lot of posts to read :D

Mark I find hard to read. He wasn't around for all the excitement, so that makes it hard to guess what he knows and what his motives are.

Liri is obviously nonhuman. He's made some anti Illaman statements, implying night kill and calling them mafia. That kind of strategy makes sense for Mercora (maybe for garatron too) but seems unlikely to come from an actual Illaman.

Freezeblade is definitely not Mercora. That's about all I know. I'm not sure why he made that claim but it's odd for a human and it doesn't make a lot of sense for Garatron. It doesn't make all that much sense for Illaman either but he may be the most likely Illaman. He's definitely not my direct enemy.

Jimbob is also pretty hard to read. I feel he makes too much of an effort to come across as town to actually be town. Is he Illaman, though?

Well, I have a weekend to figure it out..

ETA: you know what: change of plans. If I use my chat now and fail it'll take until D4 until I can talk with a buddy. I'll keep my chat for now and won't use it on anyone until next night. If I'm lucky and hit an Illaman tonight (and they don't get lynched or nightkilled) I'll have a buddy to talk with D3. If not I can still take my chances D3 and hope I'll hit a buddy then. (Unless I manage to find a nice breadcrumb tonight of course)

bessie

Postby bessie » Sun May 06, 2018 6:29 pm UTC

Alien Warfare mafia

Spoiler:
Alright, this is my usual time for my first Gojoe game post. I really need to start posting spoilers earlier so that no one can use the timing as a meta read on me but my time is limited enough, and I’m not the fastest or most organized thinker, so I need to use my available time, especially on weekdays, making game posts. It takes me about two hours a night to read the thread and compose a post in my usual way, perhaps I need to shake that up more, but I’ve tried to modify my style before unsuccessfully.

Hi wam. I’m really sorry about the way the role pm gambit went down. I tried to diffuse it a little in the beginning, but by the top of page 2 it was already too late. The problem is, as I said in-thread, even if we all agreed to drop it, what was already discussed can’t be unremembered, and it’s going to influence everyone’s thoughts.

And wam, nice hammer. You deprived me of making a proper reads list, where I was going to attempt a rare breadcrumb. :x :lol:

Interesting, I think Sabrar is only hard to read if he’s town. Which probably is exactly the opposite of what he would like.

I suspected SDK was non town almost from the beginning, was pretty certain after this post for reasons. Am I actually getting better at meta reads? :o

This post for some reason, I found it incredibly funny, I was reading while I was falling asleep and started laughing.
someone I don't want to ping wrote:But just out of morbid curiosity... can you explain what those numbers mean in terms of Town/scum/other?

wam wrote:Also various people asked about my meta read on Bessie. I noticed when playing as her teammate in stellaris that she was less aggressive than normal. Having glanced back through other town Bessie games this seems to be a tell.
I’m still thinking about this. I’m wondering if I’m just being a mean little puppy right now because I am so angry at my work. They’re going to hire a male supervisor for reasons. And what’s sad is that I understand why.

wam wrote:As I'm off soon and huery will be up. I don't trust any faction with sabrar and sdk in it. Especially if They are lying and have day chat.
Oh, trust me, I am well aware of this. :P

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon May 07, 2018 5:42 pm UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
LaserGuy changed his mind a billion times who to target and settled on controlling the Mercora faction. What a laugh I had when Mark_Cangila chose to redirect LaserGuy 30 min before deadline. Both Mercora and Illaman factions have found their partners. That's all the excitement from night phase.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Tue May 08, 2018 3:39 am UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
I'll consider it consider a success if I make it to N2, at this point. I don't doubt that LaserGuy could sway public opinion towards voting for me.

When I make longer posts, including in my (one) game as Town, it's hard to predict, at this point, what might get folks' spidey sense in a lather. There's surely something in my latest one, responding to plytho, that will tingle someone.

I'm glad I chose mpolo to go. At least a few were baffled, plus he really was Town. I knew I was calling that correctly!

I'm afraid there are just two each of Illaman and Mercora. That makes things a bit harder. When I did my faction ordering - with pen and paper - a couple days ago I was winding up with too many humans for it to be 4-3-3-3. It must be 6-2-2-3, with the possibility of a human Indy, I guess. Two opposing survivor factions seems clever (is that a common-ish setup?)

It's too bad Wam didn't make it to the first night.
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Tue May 08, 2018 7:06 am UTC

Alien Warfare
Spoiler:
I decided to go with option 2 and sent Mark a message that claimed to be from Liri who 'claimed' alien in it. Town!Mark would have definitely mentioned the message by now. I know I wasn't blocked because I received feedback on the cop. Nobody else claimed to have received it plus LaserGuy was probably redirected so it is extremely unlikely that I was redirected, meaning Mark should have gotten it.

wam

Postby wam » Tue May 08, 2018 8:26 am UTC

Alien (Bessie may read)

Spoiler:
sucks about the job! Might be leaching into your play. Also now i have mentioned it you can change! Damn town for making me state it.

Alien (No players may read)

Spoiler:
Sorry Liri for being lynched. Hope the two of them can somehow pull this off. So we have the setup at 6/2/2/3 so I was right!

wam

Postby wam » Tue May 08, 2018 10:27 am UTC

Alien (sabrar may read)

Spoiler:
quote="Sabrar"]I'm bored.
[/quote]

I thought you would have learned lynching me D1 causes boredom !

Return to “Mafia”